Altered Legacies

2 years prior to The Force Awakens...
A persistent and interactive galaxy set shortly before the events of Episode VII

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryde
Pryngles

Re: Altered Legacies

Post by Pryde »

"Um," Hirai started, she was somewhat at a loss for what was happening. She cast an uncertain glance between Falanis and Clara then finally nodded. "A--alright," she said, "Um, thank you."

She moved in the direction Clara had indicated and quickly hastened her step to get in front of the other woman. Clara caught up with her momentarily and as they walked Hirai kept her eyes averted away from Clara. As they walked Hirai couldn't help but silently pray to herself that Clara wouldn't try to start up a conversation with her or ask her questions.
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Clara was desperately trying to think of a question to ask or some way to start a conversation.

The problem was that everything she came up with sounded lame. And she couldn't ask Hirai directly what her connection was to Habas, not yet at least. Hirai didn't seem to want to talk about why she was here and Clara wasn't about to let on that she had overheard Korzen and Isis earlier.

Then again, maybe she didn't have to ask about him...

“I'm not sure how you and your friend fell in with this oddball family, but from what I've seen so far, they seem to be legit,” Clara said to her. “Tulsar has already done a lot to try and help me. I'm trying to free my uncle.” She glanced over at Hirai. “Have you ever heard of Habas Molariou?”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai was perfectly content to just walk in silence until they found Isis and for awhile it seemed she might get her wish. Clara had the look of someone who wanted to start a conversation but didn't know what to say. Hirai had hoped she would give up and let the awkward silence continue, but alas that was not to be. “I'm not sure how you and your friend fell in with this oddball family, but from what I've seen so far, they seem to be legit,” she began and as the words poured out of her mouth Hirai closed her eyes and stifled the urge to groan inwardly. "“Tulsar has already done a lot to try and help me. I'm trying to free my uncle," Clara continued with a glance over at Hirai. “Have you ever heard of Habas Molariou?”

At the mention of her father's name Hirai's eyes shot wide open then her cheeks immediately flushed. She quickly turned away from Clara to hide her unnerved expression. "I guess--maybe," she answered, albeit a bit flustered. Clara opened her mouth to say something else but before she could even formulate a word Hirai had cut her off. "Look, no offense but I'm not very good at small talk. So I'd kind of prefer it if like we didn't."

The whole time she spoke she never once made eye contact with Clara. She couldn't. Looking at her cousin only evoked memories of Rajir's voice in her head rejecting her and pushing her away from the family. A part of her wanted desperately to reach out to Clara and tell her the truth but that same part wasn't sure how Clara would take it. Would she be welcomed with open arms? Or would Clara reject her the way Rajir had? The uncertainty was unnerving and Hirai didn't want to have to experience that rejection a second time. For all she knew Clara was like her father, or could be at least and the possibility of that was enough for Hirai to keep her mouth shut.
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Clara noticed Hirai's expression and interpreted it as shyness. The girl had been much quieter around everyone than her friend Isis. A part of Clara wanted to let her be, but another, more insistent, part relished the idea of talking about her uncle to someone who wouldn't automatically classify him as a monster. She couldn't help herself. It was such a rare opportunity.

“No pressure, kid,” Clara said to her. “You don't need to say anything. I just wanted to set the record straight about what you may hear about him and me. It's true that he's an assassin, but I know my uncle has never taken the life of someone who didn't deserve it. I want to set him free because I believe to my very core that he's a good man.”

Clara walked her her hands casually in her pockets, her ruminations turning a bit introspective. “To be honest, I think Uncle Habas has been more of a father figure to me than my own dad. I mean, Pop had the harder job: he raised me and put up with my many, many shenanigans on a daily basis, but it was my uncle that truly understood who I was. He never tried to change me into someone I'm not.”

She smiled to herself. “He was the first person to teach me how to fight and shoot. He's always done everything he could to encourage my interests. I wouldn't be half the woman I am today without him. Freeing him from the detainment facility he's in right now is just a drop in the bucket to everything I owe to him.” Clara chuckled a bit. “Not that he'd ever collect.”

She glanced back at Hirai, hoping to see some kind of reaction. “Sorry, I know I can get a bit chatty when talking about him. I've gotten used to having to defend Uncle Habas to other people – my own family included. I can't even talk to my Pop about it without it erupting into an argument. He'd prefer to believe his brother never existed and that's just unacceptable to me.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai's frustration was reaching a boiling point. Despite her request Clara just kept going on and on about her Uncle and it wasn't until Clara had mentioned her time with him that a sudden realization had hit her. Hirai had learned everything she knew from either teaching herself or from her mother, she'd never met her father but Clara had. Clara had a father daughter relationship with Habas that should have rightfully been hers. The minute that realization sank in a sudden twinge of jealousy hit her. Clara stole her life, the life Hirai's own Uncle denied her. She wasn't just her cousin anymore, she was an impostor. A thief.

"Would you just stop," Hirai snapped and finally she turned to look at Clara, a mixture of anger and pain in her eyes. "I don't care what you think about my fa--I mean, Habas," she said, nearly catching herself, "and I certainly don't care about your perfect little life! I never asked for your help to find my friend and I don't need you butting in! So why don't you and your father go burn in the nine hells for all I care, I'll find Isis on my own!"

Then she veered off from Clara in a different direction, walking as fast as her legs could carry her without breaking into a run. Her hands were balled up into fists now and she desperately wanted to punch something, but first she needed to get away from Clara...
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Clara was dumbfounded at Hirai's reaction, especially at what the other woman almost said aloud. She just watched, stunned, as Hirai stormed off. The pieces all suddenly fell into place at once and Clara felt like a fool for not seeing it sooner. Hirai's insistence at keeping her last name hidden, the conversation between Korzen and Isis, Hirai's outburst just now and making sure to include her dad burning in hell with her.

It all pointed at one very obvious conclusion, but Clara had a hard time believing it.

She would know if Habas had a daughter, wouldn't she? Her uncle wouldn't keep something like that a secret from her. Unless even he didn't know about Hirai... It could even be that Hirai was just someone claiming to be related to Habas... The galaxy was full of people trying to sponge off of the reputations of people more famous than themselves.

Clara was too mixed up to know what to think about it right now. By the time she thought to chase after Hirai, it was already too late, and Clara resolved not to aggravate it any further. If Hirai was in fact the daughter of Habas Molariou, she wasn't interested in making things even worse with her.

Somehow frustrated, confused, and embarrassed all at the same time, Clara stormed off in another direction, looking for something she could at least take her frustration out on. She ran across Korzen, sitting under a tree and stomped her way over to him.

“You!” she pointed at him accusingly. “You brought those two here. Just what are they after?! I want answers!”

Korzen shrugged indifferently. “I'm not the person to ask. Try your luck with Hirai.”

Angry now, Clara reached down and grabbed his shirt to pull him back up to his feet. “And how am I going to do that when she refuses to even tell me her last name?!” She glared at him. “But you know, don't you, lawman? I bet there's a lot going on that you're not telling me and I want to know why!”

Korzen sighed. “It's not my place to tell you. It's out of my hands.”

Clara yelled in frustration before swinging a punch at his face. A little to her surprise, Korzen blocked it with an open palm and finally looked her in eye. “I've already been hit in the face once today. I'm not eager to let that happen again.”

She stepped back in surprise, not just by his incredible reaction time but also by his words. “You let...? Who hit you before?!”

“Isis,” Korzen answered her as he rubbed his cheek sorely. “She hits a lot harder than one would expect. Another time, another place, I think you and she would have gotten along famously, but as long as Hirai is giving you the cold shoulder, I wouldn't expect any warmth from her either. All I'm going to say is, if you want answers, talk to your uncle.”

Clara crossed her arms. “First, why don't you tell me what's going on with you and your family? I'm convinced now. You Leidiases are holding something back.”

“You're not wrong,” Korzen confirmed with a shrug as he walked past her, “but it's not my place to tell you about that either. Talk to my grandfather. Personally, I'm starting to think it was a mistake to bring any of you here, but I have to trust that it was the right decision. I hope it was. I really do.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai had kept walking and she didn't stop until her anger finally ebbed. Standing alone in the middle of the Leidias farm her shoulders drooped. She didn't mean to say such mean things to Clara, she was just angry and frustrated. Clara didn't even seem to know who she was, not that Hirai actually expected her to. It might have been worse if she had. That would heave meant that Clara did know of her existence and chose not to find her which would be worse. Of course that could still be true and Clara just wasn't able to connect her with Habas, but there was also a slim possibility that she just didn't know. No way. Rajir wouldn't keep that a secret from his family, would he?

She started walking again, not really caring which direction she was headed. She had long forgotten her goal of finding Isis and instead needed to clear her head. She barely made it two feet before she suddenly became aware that someone else was nearby. Hirai stopped dead in her tracks and without even turning around she said, "I suppose you heard some of that."

Behind her Falanis Leidias stepped out into the open and Hirai finally turned to look at her. "I'm sorry," Hirai continued, "I didn't mean to make a scene. I hope I didn't disturb the animals in the barn."

Isis, meanwhile, was back at the house. She didn't believe that this family was everything they said they were. They were hiding something and if that something was to hurt Hirai then Isis would know of it first. She watched from around the corner as Tulsar exited his study and headed off to who knows where. Isis considered following him but this was her only shot at getting into his study undetected. If he had any dirt lying around that's where it would most likely be. She waited until Tulsar had walked out of sight and then a few breaths more until she heard him heading downstairs. Then she creapt over to the doors leading to Tulsar's study and quietly stepped inside.

For a farmer Tulsar appeared to know far more than he should and that didn't sit well with Isis one bit. Everything about him was off, from the way his study was decorated to the way he carried himself when he moved. Isis recognized the walk of a warrior when she saw one and Tulsar was definitely no mere farmer. That much was evident from the books on his shelves. Paper volumes were extremely rare and incredibly expensive. Her Dad owned a few paper volumes back home but most of his books were in digital format. It was just cheaper and much easier to store. Tulsar had shelves full of paper volumes which meant he was loaded. The kind of loaded you don't get from working on a farm. Clearly he was doing something on the side.

Isis quickly crossed the room. She thought about checking the desk first but decided that would be too obvious. If there was something Tulsar had wanted to hide he'd have been more creative about it. So instead looked under the desk, around the desk, checked the under side of the drawers, the inside of the drawers and every shelf in the room. She looked in every nook and cranny she could find trying to find some kind of secret compartment or hiding place that might contain some damning evidence. She gave the room a quick pass over, pulling on each book one at a time hoping a secret compartment would open up until she heard the creak of a floorboard behind her. She quickly spun around and in an instant her blaster was free of its holster and in her hand, pointed at Tulsar Leidias. As soon as she saw him standing there with his arms crossed her shoulders drooped.

"Blast it," she cursed, "Please tell me you weren't standing there the whole time."

She lowered her blaster but did not holster it. "I gotta say, this doesn't usually happen to me," she said and then she thought about that for a second, "No wait, never mind. Senator Aarik walked in on me while I was rifling through his office too. Come to think of it I don't really have a good track record with this sort of thing, do I?"

Tulsar uncrossed his arms and took a step forward. "Ah, ah," Isis said quickly, stopping him from taking another step by aiming her blaster at him again, "Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hospitality, really I do. Falanis' cooking is the best I've ever had but I've been involved in one too many government conspiracies to let myself get comfortable. Now why don't you go ahead and explain to me how you know so much about Hirai and more importantly everything you know about her mother."

It had not been lost on her that Tulsar seemed to know something about Hirai's mother. He had been about to reveal something before Korzen interrupted him and if it had anything to do with Hirai then she deserved to know.
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Falanis smiled. “Not at all. Would you like to help me feed them? I find that sometimes doing the simple tasks can help bring some peace of mind.”

Tulsar seemed unconcerned about the blaster pointed at him, but didn't take another step and simply placed both hands on his cane. “Well that's an interesting demand. You want me to tell you more about Hirai when she refuses to provide the same courtesy?”

“What are you talking about?”

Tulsar smiled. “If you think I'm threatening enough to point a blaster at, then please give me a little credit. I know there's more you two aren't telling me. I didn't press because I felt it wasn't necessary, even if it does make my job harder. The truth is, everything I know about Hirai and her mother has come from you two and what my son, Sysen, told me. Until I hear back from my sources, I know less than you on the matter.”

Isis arched an eyebrow. “Why don't I believe you?”

The old man sighed and took a step forward.

“I said not to move!” Isis warned him threateningly. “I'm not joking around here!”

Tulsar continued to slowly approach her without apparent worry, as if daring her to make good on her words. “Do you expect me to believe that you'll shoot a crippled old man in his own home after he provided you with food and shelter? That you'll make a widow of his wife who has been nothing but caring and supportive since you've arrived? Are you that coldblooded?”

His words seemed to create cracks in Isis's tough facade. “I... I know there's more to you than that. You're not fooling me.”

“If that's the case, then what happens if you're right?” He asked. By now Tulsar was at point blank range. His gaze was piercing as his green eyes seemed to bore into her. Isis saw no fear in the old man's stare, only the assurance of experience and something that hinted at great power kept restrained. They were the eyes of a warrior who had seen more in his lifetime than any mere mortal would ever dream.

They were the eyes of a man not to be trifled with lightly.

It was far more than Isis had been expecting and the break in her concentration was all Tulsar needed. Before she even knew what had happened, Tulsar's cane struck her blaster hand, numbing it and knocking her weapon loose. With his other hand, Tulsar grabbed the weapon while it was still in the air and had it pointed at her before Isis could properly react.

Isis backed up instinctively, even though there was nowhere for her to go at the back of the room. “Who the hell are you?”

Tulsar feigned surprise. “I thought we had covered this already. I'm Tulsar Leidias and I'm trying to help you,” he said, stressing the word for emphasis. In one smooth motion he flipped the gun around and offered it back to Isis. “If you want to know more beyond that, then you need to earn it.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai considered that a moment. A part of her wanted to say no and just deal with her feelings alone. Another part wanted to say yes and that side of was currently winning the argument. There was just something about Falanis that felt calming. Hirai didn't think she could say no even if she tried. "Um, sure," she said finally, "Lead the way."

Isis stared at the blaster being offered to her but didn't immediately take it. She knew Tulsar was a warrior, the look in his eyes and the way he completely disarmed her with ease proved it. What she didn't know was whether that made her trust him more or less. He could easily kill her right now if he wanted to but he hadn't yet, which made her want to trust him. Then again she'd been deceived before by someone who she thought had been just as genuine and that made her want to trust him less.

"I've been offered help before by someone who looked friendlier than you," she said cautiously. She didn't really explain what that meant but the dubiousness of her voice inferred her meaning. "Alright, old man," she said, taking the blaster from his hands and then holstering it, "I'll buy your story for now. Just tell me one thing, first. Why would you even want to help us? You don't even know us, hell I pointed a gun at you!"
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Tulsar chuckled before wagging a finger at Isis. “And violated my privacy by searching through my office. Let's not forget that.” He then leaned on his cane. “The truth is that you're not the first person I've tried to help, and I don't just mean Clara. Falanis and I have been doing this for years for a number of people who would otherwise fall on the wrong side of Juoian law. You're not the first person to pull a weapon on us. Some have even attacked us outright.”

Isis finally holstered her blaster. “That's crazy! You would put your own wife in danger?”

Tulsar shook his head. “Falanis has been fully behind this since day one. Frankly, sometimes she's the one that keeps me going during the times I want to give up on it. Besides, she's more than capable of protecting herself.”

“But... why? You still haven't answered that.”

Tulsar smiled. “That's information you need to earn. All I'll tell you now is that I made a promise to help people in situations like yours and I'll do my damnedest to live up to it. You want to know more? Stick around and prove yourself worthy of that degree of trust. I can't force you to though. If you want, I'll have Korzen drive you two back in the morning.”

He turned to leave. “I'll be outside helping with the chores. When you're done going through my personal possessions, we could always use an extra hand.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Isis watched him leave with a stunned expression on her face. After a brief moment she looked down at the man's desk and the drawer she left partially open. With a sigh she pushed it all the way closed and followed the man out of the room. They headed downstairs and outside and all the while Isis had burning questions in her mind but she knew that Tulsar would give her no answers. She would have to earn them, though she didn't have the slightest idea of how to do that.

Out by the barn Tulsar and Isis found Hirai and Falanis feeding the animals. Isis stopped the minute she saw Hirai's face, the girl was--smiling. That smile faded quickly when Hirai saw Isis and her cheeks burned in embarrassment. "Where have you been," she asked.

"Looking through the old man's office," Isis said nonchalantly.

Hirai looked at Tulsar in alarm then back at Isis. "How did you... Why did--are you nuts?"

"Don't worry about it," Isis assured her, "He walked in on me while I was doing it and seemed pretty content to let me keep doing it."

Hirai crossed her arms over her chest as she gave Isis a hard look. "Are you happy now?"

Isis scrunched up her nose and lowered her voice. "Not really, they're still hiding something. I just know that whatever it is he's not hiding it in his office. Anyway, what's up with you?"

Hirai's stern expression quickly faded and she looked away, one hand rubbing her elbow nervously. "I had a run in with Clara," she said quietly, "It, um... It didn't go very well."

"What did she say to you," Isis asked and there was a fire in her tone. She sounded like she was half cocked and ready to go punch Clara in the face.

"No, it wasn't her," Hirai explained, "It was me. I... I sort of said something I probably shouldn't."

Isis watched her for a moment then clapped her on the back, wrapping her arm around Hirai's shoulders and then directing her over to where Tulsar and Falanis were standing. "Meh, don't worry about it," she said then she turned to look at Tulsar. "Before we do this I feel like I should warn you about something," she told him, "I've never done an honest day's work in my life."
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Things seemed to settle into place after the farm work was finished. Boundaries had been established, motivations had been gleaned, and authority established. Tulsar had unquestionably cemented that he was in charge – no mean feat given the fiercely independent natures of his guests. It was an authority initially created through the respect of an immense fighting ability only carefully hinted at, but also cemented by a genuine desire to help. Falanis, in her own way, had done the same. She helped to soften Tulsar's rough edges and win over their guests with her own form of motherly love and caring.

Clara was aware of the shifting dynamics, just as she had a feeling Isis and Hirai were too, but so far she had no reason to create trouble with the Leidiases. Their willingness to help didn't appear to be sinister, and although Clara did kind of like the idea of trying to fight Tulsar, she had no desire to turn him into an enemy without a good reason. He was definitely much more dangerous than he let on, of that Clara was certain, but she had no idea just how powerful.

The next day saw her, Tulsar, and surprisingly – Isis – making the long trip into town to meet with Director Jaska. Isis had asked to come along during their meeting with Jaska, apparently wanting to see the leader of Juoi for herself. Tulsar had agreed on the provision that Hirai stay behind. Until they knew who was after her, it would be foolish to bring her back into the city. Hirai seemed almost relieved to stay behind and help Falanis with the farm. After the day she'd had yesterday, Hirai seemed to be doing her best to avoid Clara – something Clara was acutely aware of, but she didn't press it. Frankly she didn't know what to do about Hirai.

Perhaps after they were done speaking with Jaska, they could make a side trip to speak with Habas and her?

“One problem at a time, Clara,” she reminded herself internally. “The first thing you need to do is get Habas out of that jail. Focus on that.”

The ride over was quiet, with each occupant preoccupied with their own thoughts about the meeting. Korzen had left earlier in the morning in his patrol speeder, so it was just the three of them in Tulsar's vehicle. Clara was in the front seat while Isis sat in the back. Nobody said anything until Tulsar pulled up to the Directorial Palace.

Clara whistled appreciatively. The building did not disappoint. Large, ornate, and somehow also quite functional, the Directorial Palace did what all good government buildings should: it exuded wealth and power. Clara's experienced eye was able to spot carefully hidden weapon emplacements and security cameras throughout the compound as they were escorted inside. She was sure there had to be hidden shield generators somewhere on the grounds as well. The place was a carefully constructed fortress made to look like an architectural work of art. It definitely stood out among the more common designs that the rest of Chiarm seemed to prefer.

The three of them were escorted inside by JSI officers of various species wearing body armor and carrying nasty looking assault rifles. They were searched thoroughly and any weapons they were carrying were confiscated with the promise that they would returned when they departed. Clara was reminded once again that underestimating the people on this planet would not be wise. She saw more evidence daily that the people of Juoi valued their safety and security quite highly. If a farmer like Tulsar could take out a Houk with one punch, what could actual combat personnel do? Was Tulsar the exception or the rule?

Soon enough they were brought to Jaska's office. Standing outside with more guards was Qan Kisa. Tulsar made introductions for the benefit of Isis and Qan and explained that the councilman had agreed to sit in on the meeting with Jaska to try and persuade the Director to release Habas. Clara couldn't help but feel nervous as the doors were opened and they were allowed entry. She needed this to go well even though diplomacy was not one of her strong points, but she had to try for Habas.

Unlike Qan's office from yesterday, Jaska was apparently not afraid to display his wealth. The office was ostentatious while somehow avoiding the worst decorating excesses that the Hutts were often known for. Clara had also been expecting the place to stink like all the other Hutt dens she'd visited before, but for a wonder, there were no smells to offend her nose this time. Instead, the air had a faint hint of incense that seemed to do an excellent job of hiding the natural body odor of a Hutt.

Speaking of the Hutt in question, Jaska was at the very back of the office, working on some official government business behind a giant Hutt-sized desk. When he saw his guests arrive, the Hutt pressed a button and the desk descended into the floor, allowing Jaska and his guests an unfettered view of each other.

Jaska was enormous, as was typical of his species, and had a dark green and yellow coloration to his skin. Like many Hutts, he eschewed clothing of any kind, but he did wear a medal of office around his neck to denote his position. He gestured for his guests to sit in the humanoid-sized chairs before speaking in Basic with a deep baritone. “Tulsar, my old friend, so glad you could make it.”

Tulsar smiled back. “Thank you for agreeing to meet with us, Director Jaska. I know how busy you are. You know Councilman Kisa, of course, but allow me to introduce Miss Clara Molariou and Miss Isis Sinclair.”

Clara nodded respectfully as Tulsar gestured towards her, unsure what the correct protocol would be. Jaska didn't appear to be interested in shaking hands like Qan Kisa. The Hutt seemed to study both her and Isis as Tulsar identified them. It was not in the lecherous way that Clara had felt herself looked at by so many of his kind, rather it was a more intense measure of her as a person. Somehow Clara felt much more uncomfortable by the change in scrutiny.

Tulsar then shifted his position a bit to look at the two girls. “Ladies, may I introduce Jaska Trinivii Jian, Director of Juoi.”

Jaska laughed in the booming way so many Hutts favored as he brought his ornate hoversled closer to his guests. “Always so formal, Tulsar. I must admit, I've been rather intrigued by both of our guests. Ms. Molariou, of course, because of her relation to Habas and the scene she made at the detainment facility.”

His eyes centered on Isis. “However, Ms. Sinclair, I'm not sure what your stake is in all of this. I allowed you to attend mostly out of curiosity. Your father may have been elected to office back on Corellia, but I happen to know you have no investment in politics. What is your interest in the life of Habas Molariou?”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Just a fan," Isis replied with a nonchalant wave of her hand, "I modeled my entire career after him, you know?"

The lie came easily enough but that alone wasn't enough to convince Jaska. Isis' father was a public figure which made Isis herself a public figure. Having someone look into her past to discover that she had little or no connection to Habas would have been an easy matter. Isis let her lie stand for a moment then sighed. "Not enough," she asked, "alright."

She half shifted her stance to include both Clara and Jaska. "Clara here attended Beruss Academy on Corellia where I'm from," she explained, "I also attended Beruss but I dropped out. When my father received word that 'Flare' here was causing an international incident on Juoi my father sent me to sort of keep an eye on her, I guess," she said, purposefully using Clara's nickname from her service with the Republic. Surprisingly, to Clara's ears she thought she heard a note of respect in Isis' voice at the mention of the name 'Flare'. "Probably just my father's way of suggesting that Clara doesn't represent the interests of Corellia or the Republic," Isis continued and then she shrugged, "But don't get me wrong, I'm not doing this for free. This is a paid contract. Even my father is not exempt from paying me for my work... And I've had my eye on this new line of speeders that had just come out for months," she added sheepishly, her cheeks turning a slight red.

One thing Isis found from her limited time as a bounty hunter is that people often underestimated her for her looks and for many of the more--outrageous things she's done in her past. It often escapes notice that before she attended Beruss Academy she majored in business and poly sci and therefore had a knack for politics that many people didn't expect from her. That lack of awareness allowed her to be quite the formidable opponent when she needed to be.
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Jaska studied her for a moment, just long enough to make the room uncomfortable, before making a thoughtful noise in his throat. “That is rather interesting, Ms. Sinclair. I'd like to know how your father learned about Habas Molariou's incarceration since Juoi hasn't released an official statement about it yet. I doubt anyone in the know would go to the trouble of telling your father about it.”

Clara wasn't sure why Isis was lying about her being here, other than possibly trying to protect Hirai for some reason, but right now that was enough for her. She didn't know if Hirai really was her cousin or not, but she for damn sure wasn't going to get her in trouble without good cause. Deciding to take Isis's story and run with it, Clara scrambled to come up with something more plausible.

“I'm really sorry about this,” Clara spoke up as she leaned nonchalantly back in her chair. “She's a fangirl. I don't like to brag, but she's right, I'm kind of a big deal at Beruss. I set all sorts of records while I was there and any time I'm back on Corellia, there's always some fans who manage to track me down. They're worse than bounty hunters.” She jerked a thumb. “Isis here is particularly persistent. She actually stalked me and found out I was going to Juoi by listening in on my call with my uncle.”

Jaska seemed dubious. “I'm familiar with how persistent stalkers can be. I've had a few in the 700 years or so I've been around, but most people don't encourage that kind of behavior. Why would you allow this? I'd be furious.”

Clara grinned and then shrugged. “The kid's got moxie, I admire that. Keeping track of my whereabouts is not the easiest thing in the galaxy to do, you know. I think that kind of potential deserves to be explored, so I've taken her on as an apprentice of sorts.”

Jaska pressed his stubby fingers together and looked at Clara with a stern gaze. “I warn you not to try and play me for a fool. Your uncle's life is still very much in my hands. The New Republic would never allow such a flagrant disregard for protocol.”

Clara kept her cool and met Jaska's gaze without flinching. He was not the first Hutt she'd dealt with and he wouldn't be the last. “The New Republic would never allow half the stuff Flare Platoon does – officially. Look, you've no doubt seen my service record, so you know I have a reputation for doing the impossible. As long as my platoon and I get results and aren't committing war crimes, my superiors are happy to look the other way while we bend some rules and regs. They didn't name the platoon after me for nothing.”

Now it was her turn to challenge Jaska. “Don't tell me in your long and exalted life that you've never challenged conventional wisdom for the greater good? I bet that's what brought you to this planet in the first place. If everything I've heard about you is true, I'll bet the Trinivii Kajidic wasn't pleased when you broke away from them to run this government.”

Jaska seemed a bit nonplussed at Clara's unexpected turnabout of his inquiry, but recovered quickly. “As if I needed more evidence, your reputation for being a firebrand is certainly well earned, Ms. Molariou. Very well, your story is certainly infeasible, but it does fit what I've read about you.” He shifted his gaze back to Isis, apparently deciding that if Clara wouldn't crack, then perhaps Isis would. “Is everything she's said true? Are you nothing more than a stalker who was lucky enough to get in her good graces?”

Clara glanced at Isis. Jaska was purposefully phrasing her story in the most unflattering of terms to try and get a reaction out of the other woman. Everything would be on Isis now to sell it. Clara resisted the urge to cross her fingers. “Come on, kid,” she thought to herself silently. “I have a hunch Korzen was right about you. We really are more alike than we know. You've got this.”
Last edited by Halomek on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Isis was expecting Jaska's reply to her story, she had prepared for it the night before. As the Hutt leveled his gaze at her Isis opened her mouth to confidently give her response. That was when Clara suddenly interjected herself into the conversation with a wild story about Isis being her fangirl. The young girl just stared at the other woman in surprise, her carefully constructed lie on the edge of her tongue but catching in her throat. In the space of an instant she had been reduced from a cool, confident bounty hunter to an off-the-walls crazy stalker. She honestly couldn't believe what she was hearing. At the very least the other woman had tried her best to make Isis' supposed stalking seem amiable, but both Isis and the Hutt knew the truth, stalking was stalking. When Jaska turned his attention back to Isis to corroborate Clara's story Isis found herself with two choices. One, she could refute Clara's claim and stick to her original story perhaps discrediting them both in the process and ruining any chance they had at freeing Hirai's father. Or two, she could swallow her pride and simply go along with it.

Isis ground her teeth together and felt a flash of annoyance. Anger could very easily out them both right now, but Isis knew that anger could be harnessed. If she couldn't control her emotions then she would just have to use her emotions to sell her cover. Jaska was still waiting for a response and in reply Isis glared at Clara. "Why'd you have to go and say all that," she accused the other woman and for a moment Jaska's face lit up as he assumed Isis was about deflate Clara's story. Before he could say anything, though, Isis continued. "I thought we agreed we were never going to tell anyone."

"I--," Clara started but Isis cut her off, turning her attention back to Jaska.

"Alright, so maybe I hacked into a few private databases to figure out where she lives and maybe I might have been hiding in her closet when she was talking to her uncle, but you have to understand something. The whole time I was at Beruss I was dedicated to beating her record on the firing range but I could never even come close! So I wanted to know how she did it and how I can finally beat her because no one in the galaxy is allowed to be better than me."

She was still annoyed at Clara for stealing her thunder, but Isis used that annoyance now to her advantage. Somewhere in the back of her mind, though, she was well aware that her attitude was coming off as more of a spoiled child rather than an adult and considering that's what she was known for it rather fit the bill much to her chagrin. Still, she did her best to hide her embarrassment, not that it mattered. Either way she just got outed as a stalker so embarrassment was fairly par for the course at the moment. She glanced over at Clara and for a brief instant their gaze met and there was something in the look Isis was giving her that seemed to say, "We'll talk about this later."
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

“So I wanted to know how she did it and how I can finally beat her because no one in the galaxy is allowed to be better than me.”

Clara smiled at Isis's response even if it was a line meant to fool Jaska. “Ooh, I really like that kind of motivation,” she thought to herself, and for the first time began to truly wonder about Isis. Ever since coming to the shaky conclusion that she and Hirai might be related, Clara's thoughts had been mostly preoccupied about her possible-cousin. Now though, she looked at Isis under a new light and found herself curious at just how well Isis had been taught at Beruss.

Before Clara could say anything more, Qan Kisa surprised her and spoke up instead. She had almost forgotten that the man was in the room. “Yes, well, I think we can all agree that competition and conflict is a strong motivator to achieve greater and better things. That is one of the basic tenants behind Juoian culture, after all. We would not be where we are today if we had remained complacent after establishing the colony.”

Jaska fingered the medal of office he wore around his neck thoughtfully. Although he didn't seem to entirely buy the story Clara and Isis had woven for him, it seemed as though he couldn't spot any holes in it either. “Well spoken, Qan,” Jaska agreed and with that seemed to drop the matter. “My species believes this too, almost to a perverse degree, but I can't deny how millennia under this philosophy has made the Hutts one of the most powerful races in the galaxy.”

Tulsar had kept his cool during the exchange and that didn't seem like it was going to change anytime soon. The man seemed just as at ease in the presence of the leader of his planet as he was sitting down to eat a meal at home. “Well, with that small matter out of the way, perhaps we should discuss the reason for this meeting? Have you come to a decision regarding the fate of Habas Molariou?”

Jaska nodded. “I have. He is to be imprisoned on Juoi indefinitely.”

“WHAT?!” Clara yelled out before she caught herself and calmed down. “With all due respect, sir, I was hoping that you would give him over to New Republic custody. You know, to better relations with them.”

Jaska, to his credit, did not seem off-put by Clara's outburst at all. “Juoi has no need of that. I neither respect, nor fear the New Republic. It is quickly becoming as corrupt and ineffectual as the Galactic Republic ever was, but it has none of the bite that the Empire wielded in its heyday. I was going to execute Habas as a show of strength, but the words of Tulsar and Qan Kisa were not lost on me. In the past few days, they've both done their best to impress upon me what kind of man Habas Molariou is. It's because of them that I'm sparing his life.”

Clara felt hollow inside. Imprisonment was better than death, but only barely. She couldn't stand the thought of her uncle wasting away in some dank cell. Her mouth felt dry, but Clara swallowed and tried to carry on as diplomatically as she could. No matter how much she wanted to run up to Jaska and shove a grenade down his mouth, attacking him now would accomplish nothing.

“If you're convinced he's such a good man, then why keep him locked up?” she asked, surprising herself at how strong her voice still sounded. “I'll personally escort him off of the planet. We'll never set foot on Juoi again.”

“That's a promise you can't keep. You uncle is still an assassin, Ms. Molariou,” Jaska pointed out. “He didn't come to Juoi for a vacation. He came to kill someone. Yesterday I offered him his freedom if he would tell me who he came here to kill. As you may have noticed, major crime is not a problem Juoi has, so it's something of a mystery as to why a highly skilled professional like your uncle would come here. For the safety of all involved on this planet, he needs to stay locked up.”

It was a perfectly reasonable argument, but to Clara it just sounded like so much noise. Her hands clenched on the armrests of the chair as she tried to think of a way to convince this Hutt to let Habas go. A deal maybe? Hutts liked to makes deals. Maybe she could offer him her services in exchange for Habas. His freedom for her service? That sounded like it might work, maybe...

“What if he was placed under my custody?” Tulsar suggested. “In time, I might even convince Habas that it could be worth it to aid Juoi.” He looked over at Clara. “It wouldn't be ideal, but it would be better than a prison cell.”

Jaska dashed Clara's hopes at even that small glimmer by speaking up before she could give the idea much thought: “I'm afraid not, Tulsar. I humor your little side projects for many reasons, but Habas Molariou is much too dangerous to be allowed outside of a maximum security setting. I will not needlessly endanger the lives of my citizens.”

Jaska then continued by changing the topic slightly. “Tomorrow I will release an official press statement about his capture and imprisonment. It will not only be an example of Juoi's strength, but it may also lure other lawbreaking associates of his that we could capture. He's more valuable to me right where he is.”

Clara kept a straight face, but Jaska's words momentarily cut through her rising despair at how she was failing her uncle. Jaska wanted to lure other people who knew about Habas? Surely he meant criminals who might have a grudge against him, but maybe he also meant... Hirai? Was Jaska's little plan working already without him realizing it?

She slowly stood up from her seat. “Well, thank you for your time,” she tried to say in the most diplomatic tone she could muster. “It's clear we have nothing more to discuss.”

However, Jaska surprised her by speaking up. “Your disappointment is obvious, Ms. Molariou, but before you decide to try and do something rash, allow me to make a proposal: if you can convince your uncle to tell you who he has come here to kill, and you bring me that information to me, then I'll allow him to leave the planet after the JSI has apprehended his target.”

It sounded like a good deal on the surface, but Clara couldn't quite bring herself to take Jaska at his word. Something felt off about this whole thing, and it wasn't just because Jaska was a Hutt. Or.. was it? Clara honestly wasn't sure of anything right now. All she wanted to do was get out of this office and clear her head.

“I'll think about it. If you'll excuse me...”
Last edited by Halomek on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

As Clara left the room an awkward sort of silence fell over the gathered assembly. That silence was broken by a low whistle coming from Isis. "Well, that was riveting," she said, "Real tear jerker. Anyway," she added, standing up from her chair and bowing slightly to the Hutt, "It's been fun, Squiggles, but I really must get going. So much stalking I have to do and all. Oh, and do give my compliments to the man who does your wardrobe. Stunning outfit, truly."

She started to head towards the door, quickening her pace to catch up with Clara. Tulsar joined them out in the hallway and together they walked down to the street level back to Tulsar's speeder. "We need to get back to the farm," Isis whispered softly so only the two of them could hear her. "My friend and I--well we're best friends. Joined at the hip, really. If that comment from Jaska was supposed to mean what I think it means then he'll know she's here simply because I tagged along."

There was a note in her voice and a look in her eye that seemed to hint that Isis was currently beating herself up for making such a huge mistake. She didn't have very many friends at Beruss. Hirai was her closest and perhaps only true friend and it wouldn't take much digging to find that out. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," she silently berated herself, only barely loud enough for the others to hear.

"By the way," she added, glancing over at Clara, "I totally had that back there. Had a much better story than that stalker thing you came up with which, for your information, isn't going to hold up under much scrutiny. I, um--wasn't exactly your biggest fan. In fact I'm pretty sure I said some mean spirited things about you and vandalized some of your awards. Nothing personal, though, just lashing out at the school. Oh, and I totally did beat your record, by the way. Wasn't really that hard, but old Hard Ass was still miffed over the nerf dung I put in his boots so he accused me of cheating and made me take the test over and over again for hours until I started missing."

Hirai stood up from where she was working in the field and started to stretch out her back and work the muscles in her arms. She'd worked in a garden before, she and her mother grew their own vegetables and things but the kind of work they did there was nothing like the work Falanis did here. It was grueling, back breaking work and as conditioned and toned as her body was Hirai still felt exhausted. With a sigh she squared her shoulders and prepared to go back to work, that was when she heard Falanis calling.

"Hirai! She's gotten loose! Catch her if you can!"

Hirai looked over to where she was and saw one of the nerf running off away from the herd. For a moment she hesitated, wondering what exactly she was supposed to do but seeing the nerf get further and further away spurned her into action. "Okay, I'll try," she called back and then she left her tools on the ground where she was working and ran after the nerf.

The foolish animal had taken her clear across the field to an odd orchard that was kind of in the middle of everything. The nerf ran straight at the fence but then suddenly reared up on its hind legs and came to a full stop. Hirai ran up beside her and took hold of her lead. She was about to lead the nerf back to the herd when she stopped and glanced back over her shoulder at the orchard. The nerf hadn't stopped because of her it stopped because of that. What was that? It was so different from the rest of the farm. A carefully planted circle of trees and bushes right in the middle of one of the largest fields? It didn't make any sense.

She stepped away from the nerf and drew closer to the orchard. There was just something about it, something that drew her in like it was pulling her. She had been so absorbed by it that when Falanis rested a hand on her shoulder she nearly jumped out of her skin. "Falanis, I--," she started, unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry, I just... What is this," she asked, gesturing towards the orchard, "It's kind of strange for that to be there, isn't it?
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

“That is...” Falanis started, seemingly hesitating to finish her sentence, “...it's a bad part of the farm. Nothing will grow there despite my best efforts, so a long time ago I planted those trees and bushes around it to try and keep it out of view.”

Hirai seemed dubious after witnessing Falanis's gifts everywhere else on the farm. “What's wrong with it?”

“I wish I knew,” Falanis answered her cryptically as she gently, but forcefully, guided Hirai away from the strange spot. “Please listen to me on this, Hirai: stay away from that spot. Nothing good will come from going near it.”

As Tulsar was busy saying his goodbyes and/or apologizing to Qan Kisa for the way Clara and Isis had acted in front of Jaska, Clara was preoccupied with her own thoughts on what she had to do next. She was half listening to Isis when a few things the other woman said finally caught her full attention.

“Yeah, sorry about that, kid,” Clara said to Isis. “I tend to look before I leap sometimes. I guess you could say I'm used to saving other people, so I'm not used to them not needing saving. I'll let you do the talking next time and see how it all shakes out. Promise. For what it's worth, you handled yourself like a pro in there.”

Clara placed her hands on her hips and smiled challengingly at her. “And you know, those were just the records I set back then. I've gotten a lot better since I was a Beruss brat. If you really want to put up or shut up, I'll be happy to see what you can do when we get back.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"If you don't mind getting the pants kicked off ya, sure," Isis replied with a nonchalant wave of her hand. "There are a few things I need to take care of first, though."

"Oh," Clara asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

Isis glanced this way and that, making sure the two of them were alone and that there were no obvious signs of audio surveillance. "Look, even if the Hutt's offer was legit you're Uncle's not just going to tell you who he was targeting in the middle of the detainment facility," Isis said in a subdued voice, only loud enough for Clara to hear, "But knowing who the target was could help answer some questions about what's really going on. I've got my suspicions on who it might be, but I need to confirm them."

Clara looked dubious. "How exactly do you intend to do that?"

Isis just shrugged. "Bounty hunters and assassins tend to run in a lot of the same circles. I could ask some probing questions and see if maybe I can't come up with a name. At the very least if we can figure out who put out the contract that would be a lot more than what we have right now."

She started to walk back towards the car then pulled up short, glancing back over her shoulder at Clara. "Oh and by the way, that's the last time you get to call me kid."

"But that's...," Hirai started as Falanis directed her away from the orchard. She was going to say that's insane, the last thing Falanis said, that is. How can nothing good come from it? That didn't make sense. It was just an orchard, wasn't it? She glanced back over her shoulder as Falanis led her away and she could still feel the strange pull from the orchard. Something about it made her feel uneasy and it wasn't because of what Falanis said. It was like it was something in the air.

"I--I guess you're right," she said quietly, her eyes still on the orchard even as they were walking away. Just what was it about that place that felt so off? Hirai wanted to come back and check it out later, but preferably not with Falanis around. She would have to wait until later tonight...
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Clara grinned as she took the front seat. “As a frustrating old man has recently been telling me, you've got to earn that right.” She did, however, stop herself from calling Isis “kid” at the end this time, giving the younger woman a small, but recognized victory for how she handled herself with Jaska. A temporary victory, in Clara's eyes, but a victory nonetheless.

Tulsar entered the speeder and was silent as he drove them away from the Directorial Palace. He seemed deep in thought, but also appeared to have an idea in mind already about what to do next. Clara was about to try and break the awkward silence when Tulsar suddenly became vocal: “We're headed to the detainment facility,” he answered their unanswered question. “I don't quite know what to make of our meeting with Jaska, but the possibilities are becoming increasingly disturbing. I need to speak with my son.”

Clara brushed the slight irritation away at having her question answered before she asked it. As much as she hated to admit it, she was getting used to Tulsar anticipating her moves. “Well good. I wanted to speak with Uncle Habas anyway. I have a few things I want to ask him.”

Tulsar glanced at her. “Do you think you can convince him to give Jaska the info he wants?”

“I doubt it,” Clara answered him candidly. “Then again, I doubt Jaska would keep his word about that anyways. I've never known a Hutt to keep their word unless it benefited them in some way and it would definitely be more to Jaska's benefit to keep Habas here.”

“That's just it,” Tulsar said aloud, thoughtfully. “The Jaska I know would keep his word. Something felt off about that meeting, but I couldn't place what exactly the issue was. I'm hoping my son will have a better idea about it.”

Then he addressed the other woman. “This shouldn't take long, Isis. Considering that we don't know who to trust right now, I'd suggest staying with one of us, but something tells me you've got some other ideas.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Probably," Isis answered, "You can actually let me out here. There's a cantina a few blocks that way I might visit. We passed it yesterday on our way to the farm."

Both Tulsar and Clara gave her an incredulous look, though Isis could only see Tulsar's expression from his reflection in the rear view mirror. "I'm not going there to drink," she clarified, "I need to find an information broker. This planet's got to have at least one, right?"

Neither of them really seemed to have an answer for her. Isis was probably the only one in the vehicle who frequently dealt with the criminal underground. After all, it was the help of an information broker on Corellia that proved invaluable in unmasking Senator Aarik and dismantling his illegal smuggling ring. If she could find another one here then maybe she could find some clue as to Habas' purpose on Juoi. All she needed was a name.

"Anyway, just pull over and let me out here," she said, "I'll contact you as soon as I find what I need." If I find it, she thought quietly to herself.

Tulsar pulled over to the side of the road and slowed the vehicle to a stop. Isis started to climb out of the speeder, but halfway out the door she stopped and looked back at them. "Oh, one last thing," she added, looking seriously at Clara, "Don't tell Habas about Hirai. You'll just confuse him and it's Hirai's responsibility anyway, so just don't. I'd hate to have to knock your teeth in."

Then she was gone. The speeder door closed behind her and she was heading down the street towards the nearest cantina. She doubted she'd be lucky enough to find an information broker there but she might find some hint or clue that would put her on the right path. Hell, if all else failed she could try to make contact with the one on Corellia. Assuming, of course, she could find a secure line to call from...
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

After dropping Isis off and giving her a comlink to get in contact with him if she needed it, Tulsar made his way directly to the detainment facility. Clara noticed that even here Tulsar was treated with a level of respect and authority that didn't mesh at all with the simple farmer he tried to play himself off as. Not for the first time, Clara wondered at just how much she didn't know about him. If it wasn't for her uncle's situation, she would have been more tempted to try and unravel the mystery around him, but for the time being she settled for judging him by his actions and leaving the rest as it was.

The guards seemed wary about giving Clara another meeting with her uncle, but after some prompting from Tulsar, they didn't make too much of a fuss about it. She was led back to the same meeting room as before and didn't have to wait long until Habas was brought out. Much to her relief, he seemed none the worse for wear since she had seen him last.

Clara knew it was silly worry. Over his career, her uncle had been in places far more dangerous than a Juoian prison, and was more than capable of taking care of himself regardless, but it didn't stop her from fearing the worst sometimes.

“Clara,” he said as he sat down, “I didn't expect to see you back here again so soon.”

“A lot has happened in the past few days,” she answered him. “I know about the deal that Jaska tried to make with you. He tried to make the same deal with me. He claims that he'll let you go if you give him the information he wants.” Clara shrugged. “So, before I do anything else, I figured I'd try: do you want to tell me who you came here to kill?”

Habas shook his head. “Even if I felt inclined to break client confidentiality, I wouldn't tell Jaska who I'm after. This is not a contract I can just walk away from.”

Clara looked at him inquisitively. “What makes this contract so special?”

Habas glanced at the security camera and the back to Clara. In a low voice, he answered her. “Let's just say that there's more at stake here than taking out some lowlife. Juoi is a lot more dangerous than it seems. I didn't quite believe it at first, so I came here to verify what my client told me, and, well, they got me almost as soon as I stepped off of the ship. That kind of response seems to fit with what I was told. I can't ignore what's happening here.”

She leaned back and crossed her arms. “I've been hearing that a lot lately. I'm starting to get tired of no one giving me any details.”

Habas leaned forward. “Clara, I know better than to tell you to leave, but I urge you to be on your guard at all times. I mean it.”

“I might welcome danger that's a little more direct at this point, but I'll heed your advice,” Clara said with a sigh. “If Jaska continues to be so intractable, things might get noisy sooner rather than later anyway. I'm not leaving this planet without you.”

Habas didn't try to dissuade her. They both knew it would be a wasted effort. “I know you have a habit of doing the impossible, but I can't stress enough that shouldn't underestimate who you're up against. You should treat these people as the most dangerous you've ever faced.”

She was a bit shocked to hear Habas say that. He knew, probably better than anyone, how skilled she was and what kind of threats she had faced during her time in the New Republic. His warning was not one he would give her lightly. Clara wanted to ask for more details, but knew Habas probably couldn't, or wouldn't, reveal anything else in his current position. Instead she just nodded silently.

She also wanted to ask about Hirai, but decided to hold off for now due to the threat Isis made to her earlier. It wasn't the threat Clara was worried about. Instead she was to trying to respect the wishes of someone who might be her uncle's flesh and blood. Perhaps it was misplaced, since Clara didn't really know anything about Hirai yet, but she would give the other girl the benefit of the doubt for now...

Instead, Clara changed the topic to something lighter. “So, have you made any plans for the Harvest Festival yet? I'd really like to have you with me when I go back home so I can see the look on Pop's face...”
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Tulsar's reception by the guards was much more accommodating than Clara's had been. A man of his influence was afforded certain concessions that an ordinary guest would have been denied – like having the cameras and any other listening devices turned off while Tulsar met with his son. They were also left alone to speak in private.

It wasn't long before Sysen entered the meeting room from the other side. He resembled his father in many ways: powerfully built and assured in his movements, but whereas Tulsar projected an air of quiet confidence, Sysen was much more intense – ever alert and ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. His beard was longer than his father's and covered his face in a thick, but well groomed style that seemed to project an image of strict authority. Hints of premature gray mixed with brown at Sysen's temples spoke of the stresses he had endured in his life and career, but also made him appear distinguished.

Sysen sat down and spoke without preamble: “Shall I assume you've taken the usual precautions?”

Tulsar nodded. “Of course. We don't have a lot of time though.”

“I know,” Sysen agreed. “Habas has been captured. I've been keeping an eye on him when I can. If you're here, I can only assume that some of the other things I've told you are coming true as well.”

Tulsar sighed. “Aside from his daughter showing up, nothing else quite so obvious.” He held up a calming hand before Sysen could interject. “Before you ask, it was actually Korzen who found her and brought her to me. She's safe on the farm with your mother.”

Sysen eyed him. “So you've confirmed that she's the genuine article?”

Tulsar shook his head. “Not with complete certainty. The poor girl, Hirai, is very slow to trust others and I know she's hiding more than she's told me so far. As a matter of fact, Korzen ran into her and her friend, Isis, in the lobby of this very building.” He smiled. “You would have been proud of him. He acted without hesitation and managed to get them out before anyone caught on.”

The other man appeared to relax a bit. “That would explain why he didn't visit me. That's good news though. Has this... Hirai... shown any potential yet?”

Again, Tulsar shook his head. “Not as yet. I can tell by the way she moves that she's a fighter, but I haven't had a chance to truly put that to the test. It may just be that she was well-trained at that military academy of hers. She's no assassin though. Frankly, her friend Isis is closer to being like Habas than she is.”

“Jaska wants her for something, of that I'm sure,” Sysen warned him. “Once he knows she's here, he's finally going to play his hand and I fear Juoi won't ever be the same again.”

“You keep saying that, son, but I have a hard time believing that Jaska is behind all of this,” Tulsar argued back. “I will grant that you've been right so far, but that doesn't guarantee that everything else you told me will come to pass. He earned my trust long ago. I hate going behind his back like this.”

Sysen stood up and placed his hands on the small table between them. “I trusted him too, but I won't be blind to a Hutt con job! You know what Jaska was like in his past! You've read the same criminal records I have. You know something is wrong, but you can't put your finger on it.” He jerked a thumb to his chest. “If you'd get me out of here, I could show you all the evidence I've gathered so far! There's no smoking blaster per say, but when you look at it from a larger perspective, it makes for a pretty chilling picture.”

Tulsar let out a long sigh as he stood up. “Sysen, I'm working on it as best I can, but even I have limits as to what I can do when my own son is charged with conspiracy against the government. If you'd at least tell me where you hid your evidence, that would be something. Maybe that could give me a reason to be more... aggressive... in getting you out of here.”

Sysen crossed his arms. “That evidence is all I have to prove that I'm not some dangerous lunatic. I don't trust that the farm is secure enough to protect it. If Jaska gets his hands on it, then it's all over.”

Tulsar looked at his son plaintively and placed a hand on his own chest. “Sysen, this is your father you're speaking to. I can protect it. I hate every second you're in here. If there's any chance that evidence can free you, I need to see it. You need to trust in me.”

The other man didn't look happy, and was silent for several moments as he thought it over before he finally nodded reluctantly. “Very well, but finding it won't be enough. It will only open to my genetic code. If you try and force it open, you could damage what's inside. There is a way to bypass the genetic lock, but you'll have to be perfect on the first attempt. Here's what you need to do...”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Mersi station was alive with the hustle and bustle of beings from all across the galaxy coming and going. Isis walked among them like a predator in search of prey as she continued her desperate hunt for clues. So far the only information she'd been able to uncover were things from public records, things she had already known. Both Qan Kisa and Jaska were interesting figures. Jaska for the fact that he had suddenly decided to stop being a crime lord to become a "legitimate" business man and Qan because there were virtually no records of his life before his arrival on Juoi, which was impossible. It doesn't matter how skilled the hacker it was just not possible to completely erase someone's public records. The only thing she could think of was that Qan Kisa was an assumed name. Erasing someone's public records may not have been entirely possible, but creating a new identity from scratch that was another matter.

Jaska was even more of an enigma, however. A member of the Trinivii kajidic and once a very serious crime lord. Then one day he just decided to renounce his ways and begin funding several legit businesses. His business acumen he acquired from his time as a crime lord helped him rise quickly through the ranks and his election campaign revealed an uncanny ability to appeal to the masses despite his criminal past. On the outside he appeared to be a sympathetic figure, the story of man desperately trying to change his ways. On the inside, though, Isis was not convinced. After all, a Loth cat can't simply just change its stripes.

A short distance away she found the cantina she was looking for. A contact back on Juoi had mentioned she might find what she was looking for here, provided she had the proper funds. Inside the cantina the usual crowd of patrons were fairly sparse. There were a couple of occupied tables here and there but the real crowd wouldn't be showing up till much later. There was a man sitting at the bar who matched the description she'd been given. She quickly crossed over to him and sat down in the stool directly next to his.

"Barton, I presume? Looking for some information, heard you could help me," she said, sliding a cred chit across the bar towards him.

Barton looked at the chit but refrained from picking it up. "That depends, what would you like to know," he asked.

"Habas Molariou," she said, "What can you tell me about him?"

The man stared at her a moment then deliberately finished the rest of his drink before sliding the chit back towards her. "Sorry, can't help you there," he said.

Isis' reaction was fast, she kicked the stool out from under him causing him to fall forward and slam his chin on top of the bar. Then she stood and held his head down onto the bar with one hand while the other pulled her blaster from its holster and laid it onto the surface of the bar in front of him. "How about this, then? I've got exactly no time for games," she hissed at him, "There are lives at stake here, now you better tell me what I want to know or else."

Barton's eyes were fixed on the blaster pointed directly at his face. Isis had her right thumb on the trigger and was ready to shoot it at anytime. "Alright! Alright," he cried, "What do you want?"

"I told you, Habas Molariou. I want to know everything, known contacts, aliases, employers, anything you can tell me."

"Look, I don't know anything about that, alright? Just rumors."

"What kind of rumors," Isis asked and when he didn't immediately answer she slammed his head into the bar again.

"Ow," he shouted, "Alright, fine! Look, all I know is that there's this girl looking for him. Rumor has it she's claiming to be his daughter, okay?"

Isis expression hardened. "How do you know any of this," she demanded.

Again Barton refused to answer but when Isis picked up his head to slam it into the bar again he stopped her. "Someone's looking for her, alright! Someone on Juoi wants her!"

"Who?"

"I don't know!"

"Who," Isis persisted, slamming his head into the bar again.

"I don't know," the man repeated between gritted teeth.

Isis stared at him a moment then let him go before holstering her pistol. "Fine," she said, "Then what can you tell me about Jaska?"

"Sure you're not going to beat the fething hell out of me for that one," the man asked while rubbing his sore head. Isis made a face at him and he quickly changed his tune. "Jaska used to be a crime lord within the Trinivii kajidic. If you want to know more information about him then try talking to a Hutt."

That was an interesting idea, one that Isis hadn't considered. She'd dealt with Hutts before as a bounty hunter, it shouldn't be too hard to try and get an audience with one. It would have to be someone from the Trinivii kajidic, though. Someone willing to spill the beans on Jaska. "Thanks," she said, sliding the cred chit back to him and then adding another one for the physical assault. Then she turned and started to leave. She got about half a foot before she stopped and turned back to look at him. "By the way, does the name Pek Kular mean anything to you?"

"Only that anyone who asks about that name generally ends up being 'disappeared' at some point," he said, "If you were smart you wouldn't repeat that question out in the open again."

That made Isis frown. She'd encountered the name Pek Kular in the course of her investigation of Jaska. It was the title of a project he had initiated but beyond that she couldn't find any more information on it. Pek Kular could have been anything, a city, a starship, even a planet. There was no way for her to know which right now. Either way the name was directly tied to Jaska and looked about as shady as his past. Isis had no idea if any of it was related to Habas or not, but the censorship of the project was enough to draw her attention. She fully intended to continue looking into it despite Barton's warning.

"Yeah, I'll remember that," she lied, then she turned and headed towards the door.

Outside a squad of JSI operatives were waiting for her. Isis recognized the uniforms almost instantly as they were exactly like the one Korzen had worn. "Problem, officer," she asked.

"We received word of a public disturbance," the one closest too her said, "If you would come with us, please?"

"Afraid I can't do that," Isis replied, crossing her arms over her chest, "And it wasn't a 'disturbance' it was an official business meeting."

The officer didn't seem very convinced so Isis started to reach into her pocket. That's when she heard the whine of four blasters powering up as the JSI operatives leveled their guns at her. "Just grabbing my ID," she said, carefully pulling out a datacard from her pocket. She held it up so the JSI operatives could see. "I'm a registered bounty hunter on official business. I have a right to conduct my investigations however I see fit."

It had been hours since the others left. There was still no word from Isis or Tulsar concerning the fate of her father and no indication that the group was on their way back home. Hirai was shoveling fresh hay into the barn for the nerf while Falanis worked below, feeding and shoeing the animals. Hirai paused briefly from her work to rub the sweat off her forehead as she gazed down at Falanis. Beside her there was a small window built into the roof of the barn and through it she could see the strange orchard at the center of the farm. Looking at it even now she could still feel the strange pull from it, summoning her towards it. She glanced down at Falanis again who was busy replacing the shoes on one of the nerf. She seemed completely occupied by whatever it was she was doing so Hirai figured this would be a perfect opportunity.

Creeping silently towards the window she carefully slid it open while trying not to make a sound. She got it open about halfway before she couldn't open it anymore, still there was just enough room for her to squeeze her tiny frame through it. Once outside she carefully made her way down to the side of the barn and then leaped off the roof into a pile of hay below. She quickly crawled out of the hay and then hid behind a wooden crate as she listened for Falanis. When she heard nothing she felt it was safe to proceed and quickly made her way across the farm towards the orchard. As she got closer she could feel a strange ominous feeling in her gut, like something horrible had happened here, but the pull from the orchard was too strong to ignore.

Once outside the orchard she stopped and looked up at it. That ominous feeling was stronger now that she was standing next to it and there was something else as well. The whole area felt cold, like ten degrees colder. She stifled a shiver and for a brief moment reconsidered stepping inside. In the end her curiosity got the better of her and she pushed and shoved her way past the brush into the center of the orchard. What she found on the other side was an empty glade. There was a perfect circle right in the center of the farm where absolutely nothing grew at all, no grass, no trees or flowers, not even a single weed. Hirai stared at the ground in amazement as she walked to the center of the circle. That's when she felt a hot breath on her shoulder from someone standing behind her. She quickly turned around and came face to face with an alien creature she'd never seen before.

Hirai cried out in alarm and then stumbled backwards, falling onto her rump. The alien creature stalked towards, igniting a red blade from the weapon he held in his hand. He raised the weapon to strike and Hirai held up her hands to cover her face. That's when a blue energy blade came out of no where and stopped him. Hirai turned to look and saw a familiar face. "Tulsar," she cried, but the man didn't seem to notice her. In fact, now that she looked closer the alien creature didn't seem to notice her presence, either.

The two energy weapons connected for a brief moment, crackling with pure energy. Then they parted and the two combatants clashed with each other again and again with Hirai right in the middle of them. She ducked away from an attack and tried to roll to her feet only to have to dive for cover again as the battle seemed to follow her. With nothing else to do she tried to scramble towards the edge of the circle but no matter where she went the presence of a red and blue blade would block her path. Somehow she had managed to get to her feet, but that didn't make her situation better as the two warriors struck at each other again and again. All of a sudden the guard of one appeared to open just for a brief moment. Tulsar took the opportunity to attack only to have the alien creature dodge out of the way.

Tulsar's blue energy blade continued on its path directly towards Hirai. Thinking this was the end for her the young girl held up her hands again and closed her eyes. That's when she felt an urgent hand reach out and grab her by the shoulder to spin her around.

"Hirai," a familiar voice cried.

Hirai opened her eyes to look at her. "Falanis," she said in surprise, "Watch out for the--," she stopped suddenly when she realized they were alone in the orchard.

"Where--," she started, completely confused by what just happened, "They were right there! Tulsar and that--that thing. Just what the hell is going on?"
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

The officer glanced over Isis' ID before disdainfully flicking it back at her. He then shifted his gaze to the man Isis had been talking to. One of the other officers had walked him to the entrance for the purposes of questioning. “Well, Barton? Is she telling the truth?”

Barton squirmed under the officer's question. “That's what she told me. I don't want any trouble.”

The lead officer smirked as he looked back at Isis. “That's pretty damn interesting, Ms. Sinclair. I guess your guild officer forgot to mention that Juoi doesn't recognize the authority of the Bounty Hunters' Guild here. As you can see, we have no need for outside intervention to catch our criminals.”

The other guards continued to keep their weapons leveled at Isis. These were not nervous or inexperienced law officers. The patrons of Mersi Station were allowed a certain amount of rule bending when it came to Juoian law so as to further commerce, but as a result only veteran officers were allowed to patrol the station since it tended to be more dangerous than on the planet.

The lead officer spoke some more: “You know what this means to me? Either your guild officer is a worthless sack of poodoo, or you're here without their knowledge. Regardless, it seems pretty clear that you're planning to do more than simply disturb the peace.” He started to signal to the others. “Bring her in for-”

He suddenly stopped what he was saying and placed a hand to his earpiece. After a short duration he looked back at Isis, disappointed. “Change of plans. I'm letting you off with a warning.” He signaled the other guards again, but this time they holstered their weapons. “It seems you have some friends in high places.”

He narrowed his eyes. “All the same, you'd better heed that warning if you know what's good for you. I doubt the next time will be as civil.”

Falanis couldn't quite hide a look of sadness on her face as she helped Hirai walk back towards the house. “Easy now. You've had quite a shock. I did try to warn you about going into that orchard. Let's get you inside where you can better recuperate.”

Hirai struggled briefly to break the hold Falanis had on her. It wasn't difficult, Falanis didn't try to resist her attempts. The younger woman still felt unsteady on her feet, but put up as convincing a front as she could as she faced Falanis. “No! I saw something...” she struggled to think of an appropriate word for it, “...nightmarish in there. And... and Tulsar! He was fighting it! What did I see? How did I see it?”

Falanis looked away, as if in shame. “You should never have discovered your gifts this way... I can only blame myself for not keeping a closer watch over you. Tulsar and I had our suspicions, but we did not want to press so soon after meeting you.” She sighed and looked back at the younger woman. “Hirai, what you saw was a vision of the past. In fact, it was a vision of the worst night my family ever experienced. The only way you would have been able to see it is if you have a connection to the Force.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Isis stood dumbfounded as the JSI officers retreated. After they had loaded up into their squad cars and departed she shared a confused glance with Barton who seemed just as surprised as she was. She had been fully prepared to bank on her father's name for getting herself released, but the fact she didn't have to was somewhat unsettling. Even worse her unknown benefactor had interrupted the JSI operative before he could even make an arrest. That seemed to suggest that someone was watching them and the idea that she was being spied on was even more unsettling.

I knew there was a reason why I hated this place, she grumbled to herself. Then she fished around in her pocket and pulled out her communicator. She had considered possibly calling either Tulsar or Clara but then decided that she would rather just send them a message in text. She quickly typed it in and then hit send. The message read, "Going to Nar Shaddaa, be back in a bit."

The Trinivii Kajidic, that's what Barton had said. There was one Hutt Isis had heard of who had been making a name for himself in the wake of Jaska's departure from a life of Crime. That Hutt's name was Dorval and unless she was mistaken he was also part of that Kajidic. As slimy and despicable as Hutts were they did have one thing in common, they like to bargain. Maybe she could bargain with Dorval for information on Jaska. The other Hutts had no doubt been keeping tabs on him. A major crime lord suddenly decides to go straight and people take notice. Especially those people who have reason to believe its a con. At best Isis walks away with a bit more insight into Jaska's plans. At worst, well... She may find the JSI's treatment of their prisoners much more preferable...

"I--what," Hirai asked in complete disbelief. The Force? Her? Seriously? The weight of her body suddenly became to heavy and she fell to her knees on the ground. "Everything she told me was true," she whispered quietly to herself though Falanis could just barely make out the words. "I mean, I know she could make the blades glow, but I thought that was just part of the crafting process. Are you telling me she actually--,"

She stopped suddenly as a thought occurred to her. Then all of a sudden she sprung back up to her feet and raced towards the house. Falanis was hot on her heels but Hirai was already through the door and upstairs by the time she arrived. When Hirai came back down the stairs she was carrying two swords. She set one aside and held the other one out towards Falanis, drawing it part way from the sheath. The very moment the blade was bared jolts of electrical energy could be seen running down the length of the blade.

"I made these," she announced and there was an odd sort of edge to her voice as though she were afraid of what she was about to say, "My mother helped, of course. She taught me the rituals and I followed them but I never really believed they were true. I always thought there was something in the metal, or in the smelting process, anything. I never suspected...," the words caught in her throat before she could finish that thought. "I mean it's ridiculous, right? Magical swords that glow, or ancient beings that could manipulate the world with their minds. That sort of thing only happens in fairy tales... Doesn't it?"
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Falanis smiled at Hirai's question. “Oh, I wouldn't say that, dear. The Jedi were once a very real part of the galaxy. They may be nearly gone now, but look at Luke Skywalker and all the amazing things he did before he disappeared. The Force will always be a part of this galaxy no matter how hard some factions would wish to wipe out such knowledge.”

Hirai relaxed her grip on her sword a little bit as her initial amazement gave way to a better understanding of the day's events. “You're one of them, aren't you? You're a Jedi. You and Tulsar. That's how you knew I was in trouble back in the orchard.”

Falanis hesitated for just a moment before nodding. “My family and I can use the Force, yes, but we've never called ourselves Jedi. The Leidias family split from the Jedi Order over a thousand years ago due to some ideological differences. They continued to train the members of their family in the old Jedi ways, but always in secret and away from the galactic eye. That's largely how we escaped the Empire's purge. No one even knew to look for us.”

Now it was Falanis's turn to ask a question: “How did your mother come across knowledge to create weapons like your swords? I can feel the Force flowing through them, but I've never seen their like before.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai resheathed the sword and then lowered it to her side. "I, um... She never told me," she said quietly, "She always said one day she would, but that day never came. At least not before she...," she choked on the words, unable to finish. "She, uh... She was always very secretive about her past, like she was afraid of something. She seemed to think that telling me would put me in danger," She continued and then there was a brief pause as she let that hang in the air for a moment before trying to change the subject. "Anyway, I--," she was going to say she didn't believe in the Force or the Jedi but she never got to finish that sentence. A notification from her comlink alerted her to a message and she casually glanced at it. As soon as she read what it said she immediately started dialing Isis.

"Excuse me," she said, stepping away from Falanis a short distance. "Come on, Isis, pick up," she muttered to herself and when the other girl finally did Hirai just about exploded. "What the hell do you mean you're going to Nar Shaddaa," she demanded, "What even for?!"

There was a brief pause as Isis explained what she was doing. Hirai just had an annoyed look on her face. "You know I don't like it when you do this... Go off half cocked on your own trying to pursue a lead," she explained when Isis had asked for clarification. "I don't care if it's a promising lead, you can't leave me here with, you know--her. What the hell am I even supposed to say? ... Make something up? Yeah, Isis, thanks a lot. That'll really help. Look, just don't die, alright? I'll see you when you get back."

She disconnected from the call and turned back to Falanis. "Sorry," she apologized, her cheeks turning red, "I, um... I think I'm going to go for a walk, clear my head a bit. Not towards the orchard," she quickly clarified when she saw the look in Falanis' eyes. "Anyway, um--thanks."
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Falanis didn't move to stop her. “Hirai, I know we've only known each other a short time, but you're not alone. Until Isis gets back...” She stopped and corrected herself. “...even after Isis gets back, you have a place to stay here. Remember that.”

She raised a finger to add one more point. “And I'm sure that when my husband gets back tonight, he'll be able to tell you more about those swords of yours. Tulsar is much more well-versed in the combat side of the Force.” Falanis smirked just a bit. “Perhaps he'd even be willing to teach you some moves if he hears a few persuasive words from his wife.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

It was quite some time later when Isis found herself on the Smuggler's Moon. Dorval the Hutt was an up and comer within the Trinivii Kajidic so finding one of his casinos wasn't that hard. The hard part was actually getting to see him in person. Hutts don't tend to deal with people if they don't have to. They have their own personal goon squad to handle people like Isis who just wanted to get in and see the boss. The best options for how to accomplish her goal were to either become a business partner with the Hutt or to know someone and neither of those were available to her. She may be a senator's daughter but even a senator's daughter had little to offer a successful Hutt and as far as knowing someone went she was still pretty low tier within the Bounty Hunter's Guild so her name didn't carry a lot of clout. At least not the kind of clout that would get her in to see Dorval. Still, she had some ideas.

Dorval's casino was a rather ostentatious building with large neon lights assaulting the eyes from almost every angle. The air was alight with the sounds of various casino games musically announcing every victory or defeat. There were slot machines, sabacc tables and various dice games galore, but Isis had her sights set on a very specific game. Sabacc was a popular game to play but was too unpredictable for what she had in mind. Instead she sat down at a table playing a very different card game, the rules of which were fairly simple. After each flip she would decide to hit or stay and the goal was to add her cards up to twenty one without going over. It was the game's simplicity and predictability she had been counting on for what she had in mind. She had paid in credits at the counter near the door in exchange for chips and after setting her chips down on the table she settled herself on top of an empty stool and waited patiently for the next draw. Over the next couple of hours or so she started winning and she started winning a lot. So much so that eventually someone upstairs had taken notice of her.

It was after her latest hand in which she had won nearly ten thousand credits that she felt a heavy hand on her shoulder. She immediately stopped her celebrating and turned around to face the big burly man who had grabbed her. "Uh, hi there," she said sheepishly, "Something wrong?"

"Come with us," the man told her in a harsh tone, "There's someone who wants to see you."

Isis glanced between him and the Rodian to his left, both of which were armed with blasters. She had left her own back at the door where she was forced to check it in, but she hadn't expected on being able to bring it with her anyway. "Alright, let me just cash these out first," she said before reaching out to round up all of her chips.

"Leave them," the large human snapped at her then he bodily picked her up out of the stool and roughly nudged her towards the stairs.

"Alright, alright," Isis replied with her hands in the air, "No need to get pushy, sheesh."

The two goons led her upstairs to the ornately decorated office of the casino manager. Not Dorval's office, of course, he had someone else running his casino for him, but if anyone could get her an audience with the Hutt it was this guy. Isis was shoved roughly through the door into the office and the man behind the giant mahogany desk didn't seem at all surprised to see her. "Do you know how much trouble you're in," he asked as Isis was led over to stand in front of his desk.

"For counting cards," Isis asked, "Probably a lot of trouble, but not nearly as much as this...,"

Suddenly she struck the Rodian to her right in the throat with the back of her elbow then she spun back to her left and hit the large human in the nose with the palm of her hand. Both of them had tried to reach for their weapons but Isis had caught the Rodian by his arm and threw him bodily to the floor before spinning back to catch the other man by the wrist just as he managed to line up a shot. A single blaster bolt flew past her head into the wall on the other side of the office just before she wrenched the weapon from his grasp. Then she kicked him behind the knee and slammed his head onto the surface of the casino manager's mahogany desk, letting him go as he crumpled to the floor. When the manager looked up at her again Isis was now holding a blaster pointed at his head.

"You're right," he told her, "You're in a lot of trouble."

Nearly a full second after he said that Isis felt the muzzle of a blaster against the back of her head. "Left jacket pocket," she told them. Both the man behind the desk and the one with the gun just looked at each other. "Reach into my left jacket pocket and take out my ID," Isis explained impatiently.

The goon behind her looked to his boss who silently nodded. Then making sure to keep his eyes open for any sudden movement he reached into Isis' jacket pocket and pulled out the small datacard before tossing it over to his boss. The man looked at it and his eyes widened ever so slightly.

"That's right, you recognize the name, don't you? Probably because of my father, Isaac Sinclair. Tell me, do you have any idea the kind of PR nightmare you would face if the galaxy finds out that a Hutt cartel murdered a Republic Senator's daughter? I'm guessing none of you are at all anxious to go back to the way things were under the Empire, so why don't you have your goon here stop pointing that gun at my head?"

The man gave her a hard stare before setting the datacard down. "What do you want," he asked.

"Simple," Isis said before tossing her blaster onto the top of the man's desk with a loud clatter, "I want a face to face with the big boss."

Hirai simply nodded at Falanis' words and then left without saying a word. For awhile she wandered around the farm without any place to really go but eventually she kept finding herself back at the farm house. All the while she walked she mused over the day's events. For so long she was sure that her mother's belief in the Force was a fantasy, but after today... The idea of it was just too difficult to wrap her head around. Worse yet were the implications of it. Could her sensitivity to the Force be the reason she was here? The reason her father was being held in prison? All to get to her? And for what? She groaned inwardly and shook her head before lifting her bow and drawing the string. At some point in her wandering she had set up a makeshift target range for herself using different pieces of wood set at varying distances. She didn't have anything to paint targets with but that didn't matter, she simply picked a spot she considered to be the center and aimed for that point. So far she had yet to miss, despite the fact that it was growing darker with every passing moment. She had just fired off an arrow that had struck the farthest target dead center when she heard the faint sound of footsteps behind her. In an instant she had another arrow nocked and drawn and had spun to face her attacker. That's when she saw Clara instead and she gradually lowered her bow.

"Isis isn't here and you have questions that need answers and no idea where else to find them," she said matter-of-factly,

Clara opened her mouth to say something but even before she could form the words in her mind Hirai had already answered them for her. "Rajir rejected me," she said simply, "After my mother died I had asked him to help me find my father, but he refused. He said he wanted nothing to do with me and didn't want to get involved so instead I moved to Coronet and applied for Beruss hoping maybe you or someone else would find me, but you never did. Eventually I gave up hoping, thinking you were just like him. I've yet to see you prove me wrong."

She turned back to her firing range and drew the arrow once more, taking careful aim before letting it loose. The arrow once again struck the farthest log dead center in nearly the exact same spot her previous arrow had struck. "So is that what you wanted to hear," she asked, "Or do you still not believe we're related? Oddly enough I didn't have to prove my identity for Rajir but I can see that look you're giving me. You think I'm making it all up, don't you?"

She turned back to look at Clara. "I want you to look me in the eye and tell me that when you look at me you don't see him. Go ahead, try it. Tell me I'm lying and prove everything I've thought about you to be true."
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Clara waved Hirai off. “That's not necessary, kid. I've been studying you ever since I got the suspicion in my head that you might be his daughter. If you're not the real thing, you certainly do a good job faking it.” She made a regretful face. “Besides, what you said about my dad sounds pretty spot on. I've been arguing with him ever since I was little girl about Uncle Habas, but he'll do whatever he can to put as much distance between himself and anything even remotely connected to his brother. That includes not telling anyone else about you.”

She then pointed an accusing finger at Hirai and narrowed her eyes. “Still, daughter or not, there's something you need to understand! My uncle has never once mentioned having kids, in fact I remember him stating pretty explicitly on a few occasions that he'd never have a child because of how dangerous his line of work is.”

“And as for Beruss!” Clara huffed before turning around and throwing up her hands in exasperation. “Beruss... Beruss... Beruss...” She turned to look back at Hirai. “I haven't been back there since I graduated. Why would I? At best the faculty tolerated me because I set records, but I was never the soldier they wanted. I do far more good out here than lurking around my old stomping grounds anyway.”

“So don't start blaming me for not looking for a person I didn't know existed,” Clara told her, doing her best to keep her anger in check. “Maybe you could have, I don't know, tried talking to me directly instead of just assuming I know who you are. And it's not like you made it easy either. I went to see Uncle Habas today, but your friend tried to threaten me if I asked him about you.” She crossed her arms. “So guess what? We still don't know why he's never mentioned you.”

“It's for the best that you didn't,” Tulsar spoke up before Hirai could respond.

Clara turned to see the old man approaching them. Again he had somehow managed to come up behind her without her noticing. She was starting to get used to it and the fact that she was irritated Clara to no end.

“What are you talking about?” she demanded. “Even if Hirai is his daughter, what good would it do someone now? He's already locked up. I guess maybe for leverage to force him to do something? But there are easier ways to do that than trying to lure a long-lost daughter out of hiding...”

Tulsar shook his head. “It's more than that, Clara.” He then looked at Hirai. “If my suspicions are correct, there's a very good reason why Habas might not know about you. In fact, I would go so far as to venture a guess that your mother took great pains to stay away from civilization altogether because of it. I'll need to see your swords to confirm it.”

The man, Grendi, looked from the blaster on his desk and then back at Isis before he sat down and lit up a cigarra. “And why would I do that? What incentive is there in it for me? What do you think Dorval would do to me if I sent him some crazy novice bounty hunter who beat up a few casino guards?”

“I already showed you why,” Isis told him as she nodded towards her datacard.

Grendi smiled. “People disappear all the time, Ms. Sinclair. Being a senator's daughter doesn't change that. Nar Shaddaa is particularly infamous for it. If I wanted it to happen, that would be your fate. I guarantee that while this might be your last known location, no one would ever be able to link it back to Dorval.” He blew a smoke ring in her direction. “After all, casinos attract all sorts of rather unsavory characters that have nothing to do with the kajidics.” He leveled his gaze at her. “So, I ask again, what's in it for me? Choose your next words carefully.”

Isis hadn't expected to run into this much trouble so early on, so she thought furiously for a solution. If her connections weren't going to help her, then perhaps... “A job,” she answered him.

Grendi raised an eyebrow. “A job?”

“Surely Dorval has a few outstanding jobs that he needs done here on Nar Shaddaa,” Isis said to him, feeling more confident with every word. “Give me the hardest one you got and I'll complete it for you to prove my skills. Imagine how pleased Dorval would be with you after that.”

Grendi thought on it for a moment before finally motioning for the guard behind Isis to lower his blaster. “Good answer,” he relented. “Very well, consider me sufficiently intrigued.” He opened a drawer and rummaged through a stack of datapads before selecting one and tossing it at Iris.

She caught it and quickly browsed through the information it contained. “I don't understand. He's just a pilot. I don't see anything here about what he did to make Dorval angry.”

“That young man is Tav Garvin,” Grendi informed her as he dropped the last of his cigarra into a small incinerator. “You're right. He hasn't done anything to get on Dorval's bad side, but the Hutt wants him working for Trinivii because he's apparently one of the best pilots around. Capture him and his ship and I'll set up your meeting with Dorval.”

Despite her good fortune, Isis glared at him. “I wanted a hard bounty; something to really showcase my skills. This is nothing!”

Grendi laughed. “That's the hardest one I have. A lot of people have tried to collect on that bounty. All of them have failed or given up. I wouldn't underestimate him if I were you, Ms. Sinclair.” He shrugged. “But, if you want to refuse, we can always go back to pointing blasters at each other.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Isis stared down at the datapad in disbelief. How could one pilot really be so much trouble? Still, an easy job was an easy job and if this is all she had to do to get her face to face with Dorval then so much the better. "Alright fine," she said, "I'll do the job and you better hold up your end of the bargain."

She transferred the data on Tav Garvin to her own datapad then tossed the device back to Grendi. "I'll be in touch," she told him and then she started to leave.

Grendi's voice followed her as she went. "You're not going to ask where he is?" He said.

Isis just waved him off. "Wouldn't be much of a bounty hunter if I needed to, would I?"

Behind her the big burly man and the Rodian were just picking themselves up off the ground as she walked past. The goon who had the gun pointed at her head held the door open for her but the expression on his face was not a very friendly one. Isis suspected he was disappointed that he wasn't going to get to shoot her. A part of her relished the thought of having denied him his amusement and of course walking out the door with her skin intact. Now all she had to do was find this Tav person. Honestly, how hard could it be?

"I don't get it," Clara interrupted before Hirai could respond, "What do her swords have to do with anything?"

"They're imbued with the Force," Hirai explained, "I imbued them."

Clara gave her an incredulous look and Hirai's cheeks flushed. "Look, I didn't really believe I was actually doing it at the time, alright," she said sheepishly, "My mother was teaching me, but it was just a bunch of sitting around and imagining stuff. Half the time I fell asleep, I didn't think it actually worked. Anyway, my swords are back at the house if you really want to look at them."

She half turned then to go collect her arrows but pulled up short after taking her first step. "And he's right, you know," she said quietly without turning around, "My father never told you about me because he doesn't know. That's why Isis asked you not to tell him."

Then without waiting for a response she moved away towards the first log and began painstakingly pulling each arrow out of the wood, pausing momentarily to check the tips for any damage before sliding them back into her quiver.
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Tulsar, Clara, and Hirai arrived at the house not long after their conversation outside. Hirai rushed back upstairs to get her swords, although Clara was clearly still confused about what was going on. Up until now she had been working under the assumption that all this trouble over Hirai was because she was (likely) his daughter. Now she was using the Force? What did swords have to do with anything?

“Help us clear the dining room, Clara,” Falanis asked her. “We're going to need the space.”

“Uh, yeah, sure...” she agreed as she helped the two of them move the table and chairs until there was a large open area by the time Hirai came back down with her swords. Wordlessly, she gave them to Tulsar.

The old man handed his cane to Falanis before he picked up the larger of the two swords and examined it carefully as everyone looked on. He nodded before looking back up at them. “Give me a little more room please.”

Once everyone had moved a safe distance away, Tulsar became like an entirely new person. With expert precision and control, he wielded the sword like an old pro as he went through a series of practice attacks and parries, gradually upping his speed until his movements were a blur of movement,. It was mesmerizing and Clara was speechless at what she was seeing. She had enough presence of mind to glance over at Hirai, but the younger girl appeared to be as amazed as Clara.

Suddenly Tulsar stopped and held the blade out in front of him. The weapon suddenly crackled with power as lightning cascaded along its edge, yet somehow never escaped the metal, like it was bonded to the sword somehow. Tulsar smiled in what Clara could only describe as boyish excitement before he seemed to recompose himself and stop the light show.

He then handed it back to Hirai, who took it with what looked like a new found appreciation after seeing Tulsar's little demonstration.

“Hirai, what you have there are a pair of Force-imbued swords,” he informed her. “I never thought I'd see one in this day and age. The technique to making these predates the first lightsabers and I – like the rest of the galaxy - had assumed the knowledge had been lost thousands of years ago. Those are truly special weapons.”

So apparently Tulsar was a Jedi; that was knowledge Clara was going to have to to come back to. Right now though she tried to keep her mind on the slightly more important matter of Hirai's swords. “So you believe those are the cause of all of this? Wouldn't they be inferior to lightsabers if they were developed before them?”

Tulsar shook his head. “Lightsabers are easier to make - relatively - but they're not necessarily better. According to legend, imbuing a blade with the Force required the merging of a blade, an energy crystal, and the Force all into one combined whole. It could be quite taxing and the chances of failure were high. If the user's concentration slipped or they prepared the blade the wrong way, it would shatter. The actual technique to doing it was forgotten once lightsabers were developed.”

He looked back at Hirai. “The fact that your mother was able to forge these is extraordinary, Hirai. Did she pass that knowledge on to you?”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai was so awestruck by Tulsar's display of combat prowess that she almost forgot to speak when he turned to address her. "Um, actually," she began in an uncertain tone, "I forged these. They, um... They were my first success. My mother was pretty adamant about making me practice it over and over until I got it right and it's true. Every time I failed the blade would shatter to pieces, but I never thought..."

A lot of this she was still trying to catch up with. Just yesterday she was so certain that the Force was just a myth and her mother was superstitious. Yeah, her mother could do some incredible things with metal, sure but just because she couldn't understand it didn't mean it was magic... Or so she thought. Still, it wasn't that that surprised her the most. No, it was the fact that she herself had accomplished the same. All those hours spent in meditation trying not to fall asleep, she hated every minute of it but she never suspected she was actually channeling the Force.

She held up the blade in front of herself and examined it more closely, almost as if seeing it for the first time. "The swords my mother made usually glowed," she told them, "Sometimes green, sometimes a bright yellow. When I made these they started doing this," she said, indicating the bolts of energy coursing through the blade, "I don't know why they were different but my mother seemed to think that it was a sign that I was special in some way. She always told me I was stronger than her but I always thought that, you know--that was just something mothers always say."

She lowered the blade and looked up at Tulsar as something he said finally caught up with her. "Wait, if what you said is true and the technique really has been forgotten then does that mean I'm the only one who knows how to do this? Is that why someone sent me that message? So I could make them a weapon?"

Then she shook her head as another thought occurred to her. Her mind was racing a mile a minute and she was frantically trying to sort her thoughts into some kind of coherent order. "No wait, those are the wrong questions. I should be asking how do they even know I can do this? That my mother could do this? Are they the reason my mother was so afraid? Could they be responsible for her death?"

Her breathing had quickened and her heartbeat was racing. Hirai wasn't normally prone to panic attacks but after everything she learned today she was left feeling overwhelmed. No one had ever wanted her for anything before. She had no idea how to handle it.
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Falanis was quickly by Hirai's side to provide a comforting presence as Tulsar answered her. “I can only speculate right now, Hirai. Force-imbued weapons were said to be able to do a lot of things. They could supposedly cut through just about anything and there were even stories that they could destroy Dark Side spirits. What does seem clear to me is whoever is after you, and likewise whoever is behind what's going on with Juoi, is a Force-user of some kind.”

“It's got to be the Knights of Ren,” Clara guessed. “It's just... I've never heard of them operating this far outside of the First Order before, or being so subtle for that matter.”

“I doubt it's the Knights of Ren,” Tulsar argued. “It's increasingly looking like whoever is behind this has had their claws in the Juoian government long before the knights were ever formed. We've come across Darksiders before that had no connection to the Empire or its successor.”

Falanis looked at him in alarm. “Oh, Tulsar! You don't think... the orchard?”

He set his mouth into a grim line. “I don't know.”

“Okay, I'm tired of being the last one to find out everything!” Clara said as she crossed her arms across her chest. “Will someone please fill me in on what's going on?”

“Of course,” Falanis agreed. “Let's move this into the living room where we can all be a little more comfortable.”

Before long they were all seated. Tulsar had started a fire in the fireplace and Falanis had taken the opportunity to brew some tea. As comfortable as she was, and as delicious as the tea was, Clara was starting to get impatient.

Fortunately, she didn't have to wait much longer. Tulsar quickly brought Clara up to speed with a brief history of the Leidias family and how such a prestigious Jedi family had become forgotten to time. It was interesting-ish, but then Tulsar started talking about someone named Sivter and his whole demeanor changed.

“Sivter arrived on Juoi about three years before the Battle of Yavin,” he informed them all. “He was looking for information about some lost Sith world known as Chisas, but I managed to stop him several times. Every time we faced off, Sivter would adapt and learn and come back more dangerous than before. This went on for a few weeks before he seemed to just suddenly disappear after our last battle. In my arrogance, I thought I had finally managed to chase him off the planet for good.”

He shook his head sadly. “I was wrong. He had simply learned to hide himself from my senses. He came back one night, to the farm, with the intent of murdering us all in our sleep. He might have succeeded too if not for our daughter, Kalja, who was especially sensitive to the Force. She was the only one able to sense him approaching. I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't heeded her feelings.”

“I ambushed him and we fought one last time,” he said to all of them and then rolled up the pants on one of his legs to show an old scar running across his calf. “Sivter had become quite skilled since our first battle and nearly did me in; I've been walking with a limp ever since; but I was able to triumph and kill him. The orchard Falanis spoke of marks the spot on the farm where he died. The taint of the Dark Side was so strong within him that to this day, nothing will grow there.”

“I was there,” Hirai said, mostly for Clara's benefit. “It's a terrible place.”

It was a lot to take in all at once, but Clara felt like she could handle it. She had already seen some weird stuff while in Flare Platoon. “Okay, assuming whoever is causing this is some kind of associate to Sivter, that still leaves a lot of questions.” She started ticking each point off with her fingers. “What does Chisas have to do with what's going on now? How was Hirai's mom involved in it? If said associate is still around, why the long con within the government? Why wait this long to get Hirai involved? Why didn't you, or Kalja, or whoever, sense another Darksider on the planet if they've been here for so long?”

Tulsar sighed. “All excellent questions I don't have an answer to right now, but this revelation about Hirai's swords is one of the best leads we've had so far.” He looked over at the younger girl. “Hirai, if there's anything else you can tell me about your mother, now is the time to do it. Even just a name would be something I could work with.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hirai looked up from where she was sitting next to Falanis on the couch. Somehow just being in the older woman's presence helped her to feel relaxed and after hearing that there was another user of the Force out there looking for her it definitely helped to have Falanis nearby. "I don't really know," she said quietly in answer to Tulsar's question. "My mother never told me much about her past other than that my fa--Habas," she clarified for the benefit of everyone present despite the fact there was no real need to, "had saved her from something. She never told me what."

She had a few ideas now, of course. Her instincts were telling her this was somehow all connected. More and more it was starting to feel like the only reason Habas was in jail right now was because of his involvement with her mother. For that she couldn't help but feel guilty, as though this whole situation were her fault.

"And her name," Tulsar prodded her after she fell silent for a moment.

"Kana Mckay," Hirai replied, but her expression was one of uncertainty, "Though, if she really was in hiding then what are the chances that's even her real name?"

The thought that she might not actually know who her mother was was a hard pill to swallow. Mckay was the only name she'd ever really known her whole life besides Molariou and she had started using the latter to try and attract the attention of her family. Now she had started to wish she hadn't. The thought that her careless effort to find her father might have attracted the attention of some unknown enemy to her mother's whereabouts was too unbearable to consider.

Falanis saw the look in her eyes and rested a reassuring hand on the girl's thigh. "This isn't your fault," she assured her.

"Do we know that for sure," Hirai asked her pointedly, "When my mother died the doctor's had told me her heart had just given out but I know that there are poisons that can cause similar effects. I learned about them in my chemistry class at Beruss. What if when I was looking for my dad someone else found me instead? What if I led them back to her and because she refused to help them they killed her and decided to try and use me?"

"Hirai," Falanis started but Hirai jumped away from her and stood.

"No," she cried, "the light! My mother warned me if the light in the attic was ever left on to not come home and the night that she died the light was on!"
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

“Don't start assigning blame for things you have no control over, Hirai,” Clara cautioned her. “You already did that with me, remember? Your ma sounded like a fighter, I'm sure she knew what was going on.”

“No!” Hirai insisted. She looked like she was on the brink of tears. “It was me! I can feel it!”

Falanis was about to try and comfort Hirai again, but Clara took the initiative instead and moved over to hug the younger girl gently. “Listen, kid, right now nobody knows anything, but we're going to find out, okay? Then we'll make the people responsible for all of this pay. I promise you that.” She broke the hug and gestured to Falanis and Tulsar. “Besides, you've got two Jedi looking out for you now.”

“We're not Jedi,” Tulsar was quick to correct her.

“Close enough,” Clara answered with a roll of her eyes. “The point being that there's probably no safer place you could be. They'll protect you. I mean, you saw what the old guy was capable of, right?”

Hirai nodded, but words seemed to escape her for the moment.

“More than that,” Tulsar decided. “Tomorrow, Hirai, I'll start training you to use those swords of yours. I know you already have some experience with them, but you haven't learned to wield them with the Force as your ally.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Even in her self induced panic Hirai was completely caught off guard by Clara's actions. When her cousin hugged her Hirai was too stunned to even think clearly. This was not the Clara she had imagined in her head. That Clara was not the type of person who would care about her feelings nor would she try to offer words of comfort. Gradually her excitement subsided, replaced instead by a numb sort of guilt. Guilt for her possible role in her mother's demise and guilt for how she had treated Clara. Mostly she hated herself for thinking the things that she did. She had painted Rajir onto all of her cousins but she was so far off the mark when it came to Clara. When the other girl let go of her Hirai took a step back and then fell backwards onto the couch. She didn't even look at Tulsar when he addressed her. He had mentioned something about training but there were far too many things on her mind right now to even consider thinking about that.

"I--I think I'm going to turn in for the night," she said quietly.

"Good idea," Tulsar told her, "You could use the rest. Tomorrow I'll be pushing you to your limit."

"Right, yeah of course," Hirai muttered to herself as she started to head upstairs. "Good night, everyone," she threw back over her shoulder without bothering to turn around or even wait to hear if anyone responded.

Upstairs in her room she couldn't sleep, she didn't even bother trying. Instead she sat near the window staring up at the night sky. Her thoughts were on her mother and what she must have been thinking just before she died. Was she disappointed? Angry? Afraid? Did she even know about the role her daughter played in bringing her enemies down upon her? If that even truly was what had happened. What would she say if she were still alive? Probably 'I love you' and 'it's not your fault,' she thought idly to herself. Still, even that small reassurance wasn't enough to appease her guilt. Her eyes fell to the horizon and the large metropolis in the distance. Somewhere in that city the person responsible for all of her misfortune was waiting for her and Hirai was determined to find him and make him pay...

Isis held up the hand written note one more time and stared at it. After a moment she lowered her hand again and looked up at the dive bar the note had led her to. "Really," she muttered quietly to herself as her eyes took in every inch of the ramshackle building. This sure didn't seem like the kind of place a retired bounty hunter would frequent but the man who wrote that note assured her his intel was good. With a sigh she squared her shoulders and headed on inside, pausing near the doorway to take in her surroundings. Somehow the inside of the place managed to look semi decent, but it was still not the kind of establishment Isis would prefer to find herself. Interestingly enough the clientele appeared to be just as run down as the building with the exception of the large, half human cyborg leaning against the bar.

Great, human cyborg. Conveniently left out that little detail, didn't you? She grumbled as she crossed the room over towards the bar. She didn't take a direct route, however, she meandered through several of the tables and started at the far end of the bar before trying to approach the man. "Garen Vrell," she asked as soon as she was next to him.

The half cyborg turned to look at her, sizing her up with his one human eye. "Not hiring anymore cocktail waitresses if that's what you're here for," he told her then he went back to sipping on his drink.

"I'm not applying for a job," she told him, "I'm working one. Looking for a man by the name of Tav Garvin. Heard you had a run in with him, maybe you could point the way."

Garen snorted after finishing his drink and set the empty glass down atop the bar. His other hand reached under the lip of the bar and with surprising speed he drew his blaster and leveled it at her. Almost at the same instant Isis held up her hand to reveal the detonator she'd been holding. "What's that," he asked.

"Insurance," she said simply. "Heard you weren't the type of guy who liked to make deals, but you're going to make one right now," she told him, then she waved the detonator back and forth to draw his attention to it. "See this here," she continued, "that's a dead man switch. Shoot me, I drop this and this whole bar goes up in smoke. Don't believe me look over there under the table and over there at the other end of the bar. There's more where that came from but really just one of these will do the trick. All of them together, well that's overkill."

Garen stared at the detonator for a short while then reached under the bar to holster his pistol. "Yeah, I hunted Garvin for a while," he answered in a gruff tone, clearly unhappy that he'd been outsmarted, "The man's a slippery one. You'd be doing yourself a favor to forget you ever heard the name Tav Garvin, but I can see you're crazy enough to try and catch him anyway." He paused just long enough to pour himself another drink and took a long swig of it before setting the cup down with a loud thud. "Couple of things I've learned while chasing him. Tav is a creature of habit, has a few favorite establishments he likes to frequent."

"Wait, all these people trying to find him and he still likes to visit the same bars," Isis asked incredulously.

Garen just shrugged, "Kid's a hotshot. Got himself out of trouble so many times he thinks he's invincible. Look, I can give you the names of the places if you really want to continue this insanity. Just get the hell out of my bar when I'm done."

"It's a deal," Isis said and Garen quickly rattled off a few names of places, mostly cantinas. Isis quickly jotted them all down in her datapad and when she was done she slid the device back into her pocket.

"Alright, you got what you need now leave," he told her.

Isis just shrugged. "Sure thing," she said and then she half turned to leave before pulling up short. "Oh, almost forgot," she added and then she tossed the detonator over to Garen who quickly caught it in one hand. "Keep the change," she told him and then headed towards the door and outside.

Garen stared at the decoy detonator in his hand then over at the two blinking lights the girl had indicated. Obviously there had been no explosives and the girl had bluffed the whole thing. For a moment he had a rare smile on his face and he instantly regretted not asking the girl for her name...
Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

After Hirai had gone up upstairs, Clara turned to face Tulsar. “You realize, of course, that there's someone who has the answers to just about all of our questions.”

Tulsar nodded. “I do. I never thought I'd say this, but we're going to need to break Habas Molariou out of jail.”

Clara clapped her hands together triumphantly. “Yes! Now we're talking! While you're busy training Hirai, I'll put a plan together. I wasn't making much progress before, but with your knowledge, I'm sure I can come up with something.”

Falanis rested a hand on Tulsar's shoulder as she looked at him hopefully. “Sysen too?”

Tulsar reached over and placed his hand on top of hers lovingly. “Of course. We've let him stay there for far too long as it is.”

Clara stretched happily before leaving for her room. “This is going to be great, you'll see. By the way, I still haven't forgotten about that punch. Jedi trick or not, I still want to see how you do it.”

Tulsar shook his head ruefully. “May the Force preserve us.”

Tav Garvin was relaxing in a booth, enjoying a nice Corellian ale, and hoping to drum up a little action; either in the form of work or female companionship. He wasn't particularly picky which one he found first. He'd just come back from a nice profitable charter job and he was feeling spendy. He was currently hanging out at the Soul Diamond, a more upscale bar located in the Corellian Sector of Nar Shaddaa. It was still something of a dive, but it was generally cleaner and safer than many of the other bars that could be found in the Vertical City.

To the casual observer, he looked like another drunk bar patron having a good time as he flirted with a pretty Zeltron waitress. While it was partly true that he was buzzed and having a good time, Tav was careful not to get too carried away in the revelry. He was always fully aware of the open bounty Dorval had to bring him in. It had had been awhile since anyone had tried to claim it, but there was always some hungry bounty hunter willing to test their luck.

Tav welcomed it. It made life more exciting.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

The Soul Diamond was definitely a classier joint than the last few places she had visited but only just. This cantina was in the Corellian sector of Nar Shaddaa so the people and fashion styles present made her feel right at home. A part of her had wanted to check this place first, but Tav being Corellian and this being the Corellian Sector almost seemed too silly. A man like Tav Garvin who was supposedly one of the hardest marks in the galaxy wouldn't hang out at a place so painfully obvious, would he? Still, it was on the list so she had to check it anyway and it was between her and her next destination.

Much to her chagrin the place was crowded which was going to make looking for a single human male rather difficult. Her first destination was the bar, from there she could see just about every corner of the cantina and she could order a drink while she was at it. There was an empty space near the bar next to a large Ithorian so Isis walked over to it and leaned up against the bar. The bartender was busy with another patron but Isis had managed to wave him down. "Ruby Bliel," she said and the man nodded and began mixing the drink.

Meanwhile Isis turned her attention back to the rest of the bar. She didn't immediately see Tav but then she wasn't expecting to find him here anyway. When the bartender had finished with her drink and handed it to her she thanked him and slid some credit chits across the bar to him. Then she lifted her drink to her lips and took a sip, immediately making a face as soon as she did so. She'd ordered this drink several times before but this was the first time she had one this strong. She set the drink back down atop the bar and continued scanning the faces of the other patrons looking for Tav. So absorbed was she in her search she almost didn't catch the muscle-bound idiot and his two cronies approaching her until it was too late.

"Looking for a date, hun," the large man asked, "I happen to be available."

"Get lost," Isis told him without even turning around to look at him.

"Oh come on, beautiful, don't be like that," he said, reaching out and grabbing her by the wrist.

"Hey," Isis cried, trying in vain to wrestle her arm free from his grasp, "Let go of me!"

She tried to punch him with her other hand but the man was faster than she had anticipated and managed to block her punch by grabbing hold of her fist. Isis retaliated by kicking him in the groin but much to her surprise that seemed to do little to phase him, so she kicked him again and again.

"You're a little fighter, ain'tcha," the man asked and his two friends immediately started chuckling, "I like that in a woman. Whaddya say we head back to my place and you can show me some of those moves?"

Isis never ceased her struggling but the more she fought the more he seemed to enjoy it. "Let me go you fething slamo!"