Star Wars: Double-Blind

2 years prior to The Force Awakens...
A persistent and interactive galaxy set shortly before the events of Episode VII

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Xalsin

Re: Star Wars: Double-Blind

Post by Xalsin »

Her question prompted a slight shrug from Sabin. "My story is not so interesting. As I mentioned, I am a member of the Dendriech Alchemist Society, though I am currently on a scholarly sabbatical, and as such am not taking on contracts. My assistance was mostly kismet, as I happened to be in the right place at the right time, and reflex took over. Not that I'm against saving pretty maidens, but I typically don't make a habit of jumping into the business of others without understanding the elements at play."

Sabin deliberated on saying more, but decided that was enough. Answering questions was always a delicate balance; too much information and one could be exposed and made vulnerable. But not enough information only bred curiosity, which was more likely to cause problems down the road.

"So who is this Mitch? Sounds like an employer of sorts."
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Just listening to him speak made him sound bland and dull. Alchemist Society? Scholarly sabbatical? Scarlett could just die from boredom. "Mitch is a middleman, one of several we work with," she said, "Hooks us up with jobs sometimes, for a cut of course. It's a necessary evil, middlemen keep their noses clean unlike us. If we were easy to find then the feds would be on our tail. Kind of hard to pick up jobs and stay under the radar at the same time, but we don't always work with middlemen. Sometimes people hire us direct."

Of course she didn't want to have to explain the other reason why they were laying low. Raving about men in black coats was the sort of thing that got you locked up. Not that Scarlett had any idea why the First Order was so keen on finding them. "Anyway, I don't know what a 'met' is or why you would kiss it but I appreciate the help," she continued and for a moment Sabin had a difficult time trying to decide if she was telling a joke or was actually being genuine about not knowing what kismet meant. "A scholarly sabbatical, though? That sounds boring. So what, you gotta go around the galaxy reading books and stuff?"
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Sabin couldn't help but fix the girl with a long gaze, trying hard to separate game from ignorance from intoxication. It was not a particularly simple task.

Finally, he gave up on the pursuit, figuring it was all a wash at this point. "Oh yes." He finished his water and stood, placing the glass in the automated washer. "It is incredibly boring. But that is simply part of life sometimes, hm?" He pushed on to change the subject, perhaps a touch too eager to avoid the spotlight. "So. Scarlett, Andile, and the reclusive sister. How long have the three of you been out here pursuing your fortunes?"
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Since like forever," Scarlett said, she also got up from her seat but not to put away her cup. Instead she grabbed the bottle sitting next to Andile and poured more whiskey into her glass, spilling a bit of it in the process.

"Scarlett," Andile tried to say but she had already gulped it down then tried to pour some more. Finally he reached out and took the bottle from her. "I think that's enough, little one."

"Aaand there he goes," she pouted, setting her glass down on the counter top and walking away from it. "How long we been flying together and he still treats me like I'm little. I'm not little anymore, Andile, I've got these now," she said, lifting her breasts in both hands, "And you know what else, Sabin? Gwen is... Gwen is only like three minutes older than me so why... Why isn't she, um... Little?"

She stopped and stood stock still as she stared at them. "Why--why is the room spinning," she asked and then she fell backwards into a heap. Andile was at her side in an instant. "Are you alright," he asked, lifting her head in his hand.

Scarlett looked at him--or near him. Around him, maybe? "Andile," she said, "I'm on the floor."
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Sabin stood, feeling a faint sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. If he hadn't already seen these people in action and knew that they were at least reasonably competent, he might have just asked for directions to the airlock and taken his chance in deep space rather than throw his lot in with this group. As things were, it didn't do much to establish a sense of trust in the maturity and sound decision making in the de facto leadership of the group.

"Well, I think I will retire to my quarters for the time being. Please let me know when our next stop has been determined." He looked at Scarlett than to Andile. "Good luck."

Without further comment, he retreated from the room and made his way back to his cabin.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Scarlett woke the next morning in her bed with no memory of how she got there. Slowly she tried to pick herself up into a sitting position but the sudden pounding headache made her pause to reconsider. Suddenly she regretted ever having a drink last night. Fighting the urge to lie down again she forced herself out of bed, noticing that she was still wearing the clothes she wore the day before. Having little desire to bother changing she stumbled towards the door, glancing over towards Gwen's bed as she went. Much to her surprise the bed was empty and already made.

"How long was I out," she asked aloud but no one was near to answer.

In the corridor beyond she could hear faint voices coming from the common room but instead of heading there she went immediately to the bridge. Gwen was sitting at the controls and she gave Scarlett a look of disapproval. "How do you feel," she asked.

"Like a rancor just stepped on my head," Scarlett answered as she slid into the chair next to Gwen and rested her head atop the console. "Any word from Mitch?"

Gwen shook her head and Scarlett frowned. Something was going on in the Outer Rim, something big, but whether it was the New Republic or something else Scarlett couldn't say. Either way it was getting harder and harder to find work out here and neither of the Onasi twins liked where that trend was heading. Scarlett closed her eyes and for a moment Gwen had thought she'd fallen asleep. "I had that dream again," she said quietly, "You and me, outside of our home holding hands."

Andile had been there too, all those years ago. The night their home burned. Scarlett had only the vaguest of memories of what happened. She remembered hiding from someone with her sister and Andile and she remembered watching as the house she grew up in burned to the ground but beyond that nothing else. Her childhood seemed a distant memory and she never knew why. "Why can't I remember what they looked like," she asked, glancing up into her sister's eyes. Gwen could remember their parents but why not she? Why could she never see them in the dream?
Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

Gwen reached over, closing the distance between them by placing her hand on her sister's arm. She gave it a comforting squeeze, a gentle touch that spread a quiet ripple of warmth and comfort, like undulations on a pond's surface when touched by a zephyr's whisper.

"I wish I had an answer for you," she said after a long moment, then let her hand fall away. She made a slight course correction at the controls, then sighed, looking out the viewport into the infinity of space before them. "Sometimes I wonder if I really remember them, or if my mind is starting to fill in the blanks with wishes and fantasy." The lines of sadness around her clear eyes deepened the color and made her seem far, far, older than her handful of years.

Then she shrugged, uncomfortable with the route her thoughts were taking. "I could tell you again to not let it trouble you so, but I won't waste either of our time." With a last check at the ship's systems, Gwen spun in her chair to fully face her sister. "So..care to elaborate on why Andile and I had to pick you up off of the floor and pour you into your bed last night?"
Keep your confessions,
Cause babe, I’m no saint.
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Scarlett's face turned completely red, almost as red as her hair. "That, um... Uh, well...," she didn't really have an explanation for that. After everything that happened yesterday she wanted a drink, but alcohol had a peculiar effect on her. Her tolerance for the stuff was practically non-existent and Andile did try to warn her several times.

"Maybe I should go check the engines, find out why they were stuttering yesterday." She started to stand up but the immense headache forced her back down into the chair. "Or I could sit here," she said in resignation and laid her head back down. She laid there for a moment in complete silence then finally tilted her head towards her sister.

"How far are we from the Rimma Trade Route?"

"A few hours," Gwen answered.

"Get us closer," Scarlett replied, "Maybe we'll catch wind of a job if Mitch doesn't call us back."
Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

Gwen nodded and ran a new course through the navicomputer. The charts showed a clean shot through hyperspace to the Trade Route which was a bonus. Her long, nimble fingers flew over the controls with an unconscious grace born of pure experience and confidence in her abilities. Piloting the Aurora was one of the few areas where Gwen wasn't plagued by persistent self-doubt, though Scarlett was blissfully unaware of that aspect of her sister. Gwen made certain of it.

She glanced over at the younger sibling then smiled a bit, pushing out of the chair and coming to stand behind Scarlett. "Here, let me help." She placed two fingertips at the base of Scarlett's skull and pressed gently in tiny circles. "Remember that one job we took from Mitch, where we had to transport that family from Gamma V to Outback quadrant?"

Scarlett made a noise of acknowledgement, her head pushed forward so that her chin touched her chest.

Gwen shifted her fingers, activated a new set of pressure points along the back and sides of her sister's scalp. "The old lady - Rima was her name. She taught me these points when her husband was nursing the mother of all hangovers after too much Corellian whiskey." After another few minutes, Gwen completed the series and gave Scarlett's hair a little tousle. She quirked a grin, smacked a kiss on top of her younger sister's head. "Just sit there a minute, my girl, and I'll bring you some tea. Rima also gave me the recipe for a potion she concocted to take the edge off that headache. And plenty of water. Be right back."

Leaving her sister in the cockpit, Gwen trotted down the snug corridor, content in her role of mother-hen. Responsibility constantly warred with love in Gwen's heart. She walked the tightrope between letting Scarlett have freedom to be her own woman, an adult and businessman, and the bone-deep urge to protect her young sibling from the darkness of the galaxy. That was why she'd been so upset when Scarlett had taken the deal on her own yesterday. Upset and petrified that someone would happen to her because Gwen hadn't been there to take the blaster bolts or stop the vibro-blades.

She supposed she owed the assassin a deeper gratitude than she'd given yesterday, Gwen mused as she began lining up ingredients for the potion. She'd let her emotions get the better of her - never a good thing where Gwen was concerned.. She'd proven that out more than once through her life. Self-doubt pulled up a chair and sat down beside her, smirking over her shoulder as the young woman poured a bit of this and that into a chipped mug. Resignation settled like a heavy, wet cloak. She was Corellian enough to not care about the odds when it came to getting Scarlett out of trouble, but at the same time, she knew there would be a time when the deal would go bad and Gwen wouldn't be able to fish them out of the fire.

Gwen pinched the bridge of her nose, an unconscious habit to ease the depressing thoughts away. Then she kicked the chair legs out from under her self-doubt and told it to get stuffed for the time being. She would just have to be better, was all. More controlled, more practiced, and smarter than the goons they took these jobs from.
Keep your confessions,
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

The following water from the 'fresher on the ship had disappointingly low water pressure, which was unsurprising for a small starship, but at least it was good and hot. Sabin lingered several moments before shutting off the water. He had slept well, rather well, for being in a new environment. Grabbing his small hygiene bag, Sabin dressed quickly and stepped out of the 'fresher, heading down the small hallway towards his quarters.

He stopped at the entrance to the galley, noting the other woman, Gwen he thought, preparing something in the galley. It was probably worth making an introduction, as it seemed she was at least part of the decision making process for the ship.

"Hello." Sabin stepped into the galley. "I guess we haven't formally been introduced yet. I'm Sabin Tesyden."
Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

Since he'd made no attempt to be stealthy, Gwen had heard the soft, unfamiliar padding of his footsteps in the hallway. So it was with no surprise that she topped off the potion with a lid and gave it a good shake as she turned around to face their newest crew member.

"Gwendolyn Onasi, though most prefer to shorten it to Gwen. Saves on syllables and oxygen, especially in a firefight."

She would have moved on, but hesitated, clearing her throat. Remembering her earlier thoughts, she stepped forward and extended a hand. "Things were a little rushed yesterday. I apologize for not welcoming you aboard. And extending my thanks in bringing Scarlett home safe. She's impulsive, our Scarlett," Gwen continued with a half-smile. "But I guess we all have our quirks."

"I trust you find your accommodations satisfactory? We don't have much, but we try to make it at least comfortable."
Keep your confessions,
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Sabin gave a shrug. "I am used to a certain austerity of life, so this is more then enough." He openly eyed her up and down, assessing the woman in front of him. "So, you're the other half of the leadership. The more responsible half, I am guessing, if your sister's little... display last night was anything to judge by."
Last edited by Xalsin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

Gwen angled her chin, raising it slightly as her eyes narrowed. She bristled at both the man's tone and his unspoken insinuations.

"Scarlett is headstrong, much like myself. Also impulsive. Not irresponsible." After locking gazes for a moment longer, until the air between them almost began to sizzle, Gwen picked up the container that held the hangover cure. "In fact, I think you'll find that what gets Scarlett into trouble the most is that she takes too much responsibility on her own shoulders at times." Her blue eyes snapped like flames of cold methane as she tossed the pale braid of her hair back over her shoulder.

"It's Andile's turn to make the morning meal. I'm sure it will be ready shortly. If you'll excuse me.."

And with that she spun on her heel and headed back to the cockpit to give Scarlett the potion.
Keep your confessions,
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Sabin blinked a few times but made no effort to stop the woman as she made her exit.

I guess I touched a nerve. Sabin mused lightly to himself, a bit shocked despite himself as the response he had received. They were evidently close knit, to the point of bearing either other's insults, no matter how mild.

"Later on, then." He said wryly to himself after she had already left the room. Apparently he had not made a favorable impression the first or second time around. He wondered if the third time would be different. Ah well. The sisters were paying clients. Well, potentially. As long as they followed through with the payment part, they were free to like or dislike him as they chose. Being disliked by a client was nothing knew, and Sabin actually found that it simplified things sometimes, working for someone who disliked him. It kept everyone on edge, which meant business negotiations needed to be briefer and more professional.

With a faint shrug, he headed back towards his room.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Scarlett was half asleep when the sensors array began tweeting at her. For a moment she dreamt about an annoying bird with a strange call that wouldn't leave her alone until finally she recognized the sound. "Huh, what," she said, finally coming to. She lifted her head from the console then wiped the drool from her sleeve and mouth. She glanced around the cockpit noting that Gwen was still not back.

The beeping from the sensor suite continued and she leaned over and read the display. It was a distress call from a nearby system. The signal was faint and only barely coming through. She opened the message and read it then smiled. "Looks like we found a job," she said.

"What," Gwen asked as she came back into the cockpit.

Scarlett turned to look at her and Gwen handed her the potion.

"Here," she said, "This will make you feel better."

Scarlett took the potion then lifted the cup to her lips. She started to drink it and when the taste of it hit her tongue she tried to stop. Gwen wouldn't let her, though, she lifted the cup with one hand and made her sister drink the rest. Scarlett gagged a bit but finally downed the last of the drink. When it was over she lowered the cup and wiped her mouth with her hand.

"Sis, that was--," she started and when she caught the look on Gwen's face she decided to change the subject, "Never mind. Anyway, look at this," she pointed to the distress beacon. "Local town beset by raiders. Bet they'd be willing to pay for some help, don'tcha think?"
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Andile walked into the cockpit to join Scarlett and Gwen. In each hand, he held a bowl filled with a "mystery" soup.

"Here you go, don't ask what's in it. Just enjoy." He handed a bowl to the sisters. "I already gave one to our mystery guest... I'm sorry, our new recruit." Andile shook his head as those words left his mouth.

He looked up and noticed the displayed distress call.

"Hmmm, what do you guys think. Help a local entity in trouble-- Get paid a bunch of money-- Leave rich and with all of our limbs in tact?" He paused, this wasn't likely the case. "I'm sorry, being forthright would be more my style. Help this group, get skimped out of money, and barely leave with our lives. Does this sound like a good idea to either of you guys?"
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Well, when you put it that way how could we refuse," Scarlett asked with a smile on her face. She glanced over at her sister Gwen who knew her well enough to know that Scarlett had already made up her mind. Part of what the sisters did out here was help those in need and though they tried to get paid for it whenever possible Andile was right. Usually the money ended up not being worth the effort.

"Gwen, please set in the course for me. I'm going to go make the call. Coming, Andile," she asked as she picked up her bowl and walked out. She took a bite out of the soup he gave her and immediately made a face. "What did you put in this? It tastes like nerf droppings."

Andile gave her a look and Scarlett quickly changed her tune. "I mean it's delicious! Very delicious!"

She took another bite and tried very hard to keep a straight face as they walked out into the common room and over to the holoprojector. She set the bowl down on a nearby table and quickly typed in the frequency for the distress call. A young man appeared over the holoprojector and immediately turned his attention to Andile.

"Ah, Captain, I take it you heard my call."

"Uh--," Andile began but Scarlett cut him off.

"I'm the captain," she said and the man turned to look at her.

"You," he asked in surprise, "I thought... I'm sorry, there must have been some mistake. My people are in need of warriors."

Scarlett's face flushed with annoyance. "I have half a mind to close this frequency right now."

"No," he cried, "I--I'm sure it will work out. Meet me at these coordinates, we'll discuss the terms of your contract."

He sent her a list of coordinates then cut the transmission. Scarlett just stared at Andile. "What the heck was that all about?"
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

"uh mm." Andile rocked back and forth on his heels as Scarlett continued to fume.

"Well. Why'd they do that?" Scarlett said with her arms crossed.

"It's simple, really." He smiled as he shook his head. "They want warriors, and have no idea how talented you are with a weapon in hand. That's all."
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Scarlett had a feeling there was something he wasn't telling her but she didn't press the issue. Instead she walked over to the ship-wide com and activated it. "Sabin, Gwen, could you both join us in the lounge, please?" Then she cut the transmission without anymore explanation. She would tell them what the job was as soon as they arrived.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

The Planet Bristol,
Outer Rim Territories

The Aurora set down on a low rise overlooking a small settlement on a random planet Scarlett had never even heard the name of. As soon as the ship had touched down Scarlett had powered down the engines then turned to look at her sister sitting in the co-pilot's chair.

"Time to meet the locals," she said then she stood left the cockpit, heading towards the cargo bay. "Andile, stay with the ship," she threw back over her shoulder before disappearing out of sight.

Sabin was already in the cargo hold prepping a small, four man hovercar as Scarlett and Gwen entered. Scarlett went ahead and climbed into the driver's seat as Gwen opened the hatch to the cargo hold. A brisk wind blew inside the ship as the hatch lowered onto the ground causing Scarlett to shiver slightly. Maybe I should wear a coat, she thought to herself.

Gwen and Sabin both piled into the hovercar behind her and Scarlett took off, blasting out of the cargo hold at full speed much to Sabin's surprise. As he was quickly learning while both girls were skilled pilots Scarlett appeared to have a crazy sort of enjoyment for thrill seeking. She blasted off down the rise towards town at the fastest speed and only decided to slow down at the last minute.

As they drove into town they were quick to notice that the streets were empty. Not a single soul moved outside although there were a few wary eyes looking at them through windows. "Quite the welcome mat," Scarlett muttered under her breath.

They drove up in front of a rickety old saloon and Scarlett parked the vehicle close by. Then the three of them all piled out and walked inside. There were a few people there to greet them, though in truth they appeared to be more scared of them than anything.

"Are you the captain," a man asked, stepping forward to address Sabin.

"Why does everyone keep doing that," Scarlett asked in exasperation, "He's not the captain, I am."

"You," the man said in surprise, "but you're a--,"

He left the rest hanging in the air, deciding it best not to finish that statement.

"A what? A redhead?"

"I think he means 'woman'," Sabin pointed out.

"I know that," Scarlett answered irritably, "Why's it so surprising that a woman captains my ship?"

"Well, uh--Captain," the man began, tugging at his collar nervously, "It's just that it's not proper for a woman to be in charge."

"Not proper," she asked incredulously, "I'm going to slug him!"

She surged forward to do just that causing the man to wince backwards, but before she could land her blow Gwen reached out and held her back. "Hey, lemme go!"

"Calm down, Sis, we're here to negotiate," she pointed out and Scarlett let her anger ebb.

"Fine, tell me what your trouble is."

"Well," the man began, "first of all I am Mayor Williamson. I run this little town and for the most part things have been rather peaceful, but a few weeks ago a group of bandits moved into the abandoned mine just south of here and every now and then they ride into town and take what they want. We have no weapons here and no way to defend ourselves, that's why my son put out the call for mercenaries."

"Right, right, understood," Scarlett replied with a wave of her hand, "Let's talk payment."

The man's face blanched slightly but he quickly recovered. It was insulting to think that this woman would address him so callously. If it weren't for the fact that they needed her help he might have turned her away right then. "We don't have much in the way of money," he said, "The bandits took most of what we own. They do have a stockpile at that mine of theirs. Whatever you find there is yours provided that you deal with them."

Scarlett considered that a moment then shrugged. "Alright, sounds good to me. You can go now."

"Why I never," the man replied, his face red with anger, "A woman should know her place!"

"What did you say," Scarlett asked and she began winding up her fist again to hit him.

"Father," a young man said from the small crowd that stood nearby, interrupting them. He stepped forward and Scarlett saw that he was the man she talked to on the holo. "These are our honored guests."

The mayor relaxed his anger then reluctantly bowed his head slightly. "My apologies, Captain. We thank you for your assistance."

Scarlett still considered hitting him despite his apology but the look on Gwens face convinced her not to. "Alright, let's go," she said, spinning on her heel and leading her crew outside. Once they were out of earshot Scarlett spun on Gwen. "Can you believe that guy? 'A woman should know her place.' Just what the hell is that supposed to mean?"
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Sabin glanced around their environment, taking stock of the conditions. This climate seemed fairly temperate, which at least made things comfortable. The villagers had below average technology, and in this remote area, must have made for easy targets. It was slightly strange, as people in remote areas like this typically were self reliant. They must have relied on their remote location as a defense, and no someone had found them.

"Some cultures have stronger defined gender roles than others." Sabin responded to Scarlett absently, even though she hadn't been talking to him. "You don't have to agree, but it might be good to play nice until payday. Maybe have Andille conduct your business transactions." He paused a moment, then continued. "My recommendation is to use the ship for some long distance reconnaissance, then I could to a little scouting, see if I can determine numbers and equipment we're up against."
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Scouting sounds good," Scarlett replied, "In fact, take my sister with you."

Both Sabin and Gwen gave her a look but Scarlett wasn't phased. She held up her hands in a shrug. "I've been feeling a tension between you two since this morning," she explained, "Now, I don't know what caused it and I don't care, but we're a team now so you both have to work it out. So go on," she said, waving them away with both hands, "Go work it out. In the meantime I'll have Andile scan the mine from here and for now I'll stay with the townsfolk, keep them company."

Gwen got the feeling there was more to it than that. Scarlett probably just wanted to continue to expose the townspeople to her presence. Or more specifically her attitude.
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

"I got your message," Andile said over the com. "And to be honest, something feels off about this mission."

Andile reviewed the ship's scans of the mine and surrounding areas. He had printed up an aerial screenshot of the mine, and kept a live feed open on the screen showing thermal imaging.

"Scarlett," he sighed, "It looks too easy."

"What do you mean, easy?" she replied.

Well, I mean, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. The entire layout is thin with one sharp turn..." he tweaked his head thinking about the right term. "Like an extreme acute angle." He paused. "There's a wall toward the entrance, which only has about six guards according to the thermal scan. There's a camp set up near the entrance and wall, but very few people are there."

He reviewed the live feed and started counting the moving figures past the sharp turn. "I believe their real location is deep into the mine. At least forty images, maybe not all humanoids." Andile shook his head. "They have a facade set up for some reason, and thought I don't know what that is, I'd prefer it if Sabile and Gwen took their time, and were thorough. They need to expect mines and other explosives. A quick retreat seems like a logical move on the part of the bandits."

"Any questions?" Andile asked Scarlett.