Green Squadron: Title to Be Voted On But Maybe Negating Order

2 years prior to The Force Awakens...
A persistent and interactive galaxy set shortly before the events of Episode VII

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryde
Pryngles

Re: Green Squadron: Title to Be Voted On But Maybe Negating Order

Post by Pryde »

In hindsight running might not have been the best choice. It was by some miracle she made it down to the Docking Bay without crashing into anyone considering her thoughts were somewhere else. She was in such a hurry to arrive she almost didn't see Captain To'ran standing in front of the shuttle. Remembering her protocol she skidded to a halt in front of him... Or at least she tried to.

Her foot hit a small puddle of oil on the floor and slipped and she fell comically onto her back with a surprised yelp while sliding right past the Captain. Fortunately her duffle bag broke most of the fall but she still felt the impact of it.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow," she said while trying to raise herself into a sitting position. Then she remembered the Captain was standing right over her and she quickly jumped to her feet and snapped him a salute.

"Sir!" She cried, her cheeks burning bright red from embarrassment. Meanwhile Nimbus rolled up right behind her making a sound that could almost pass as laughter.
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran looked at the raw recruit with a bemused expression as she stood before him at rigid attention. For a moment he thought of waiting a few moments to acknowledge her salute just to see how long it would take for her spine to snap from being so straight and stressed. But he mercifully returned her salute, and with a deep sigh Jess relaxed into an at ease position.

"Pilot, I seriously don't have a single clue as to how you made it to the Mean Green." He deadpanned at he looked at her. To Jess, he looked like a Nexu sizing up his next meal...and To'ran did nothing to dissuade that, at least until his smirk returned. "But obviously Jax thinks you have something. Personally, with mix of personalities in the Green, I'm surprised they would be able to defeat a group of Mynocks, much less Imperial TIEs. But you'll do Pilot...I think you'll do just fine."

"Now...get the hell out of my LZ." He waited until she ran pass him before allowing his smile to cross his lips. He then turns his head slightly so she can hear him. "OH...and get with Ty about how to properly scrub the Refreshers! I'm making you the Admiral of Refresher Duties!"
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Vaemar

Post by Vaemar »

Kraven, making his way to the shuttle, turned to look at the sound. He watched as To'ran talked to Sterling and, when he saw his smile, smiled too. He sat down inside of the shuttle, sitting down and putting his case on a seat next to him. He looked down the ramp, and waited for people to board the shuttle.
"War isn't about dying for your country, it's about making the other bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Jessica reached down and grabbed her duffle before marching onto the shuttle. She walked right past Mae and Ty without saying a word and sat down in an empty seat on the far end of the shuttle. She was too embarrassed to say anything to anyone and To'ran's remark about being Admiral of the Refreshers didn't really help ease her nerves. She avoided making eye contact with the other pilots as she shoved her bag into the compartment beneath her seat and strapped herself in. Nimbus rolled up beside her and whistled something but Jess simply ignored him. She sort of lost track of time after that until someone sat down in the chair next to her and drew her attention.

"Quite the entrance, Jess," Damien said with a wide smile as he looked at her.

Jessica quickly glanced at the others her cheeks burning even brighter before she turned back to Damien. "What are you doing here," she whispered sharply.

Damien just shrugged, "I volunteered, naturally." Then he saw the look she was giving him. "What? Green Squadron needs mechanics too. Who's going to fix your ship when it gets broke? You?"

She was going to say she could handle it just fine but decided against it. Instead she averted her eyes and noticed the Commander she had spoken to earlier sitting on the other end of the shuttle near the boarding ramp. "Who's he," she asked with a nod of her head.

"Commander Kraven," Damien asked, "He's some hotshot squad leader from Black Squadron."

So that's who he is, she thought to herself. She'd never actually met him before but she knew of Black Squadron. Apparently there was a rivalry between Black and Green Squadron that often played out in the simulators. Jess never really had an opportunity to participate, though, due to her late arrival and certain disciplinary actions.

Damien finished stowing his gear and strapped himself in. "That was his record you broke at the academy, by the way," he added and Jess gave him a look of confusion.

"I didn't break any records," she told him.

"Seriously, Jess? I watched your performances," he said, "and I saw the vid from your trial run. You were right, that maneuver should have worked, the computer was just playing it safe."

Too bad her instructors didn't feel the same way she thought to herself. Damien was referring to a simulation she ran back at the academy that required students to complete a procedurally generated course meant to test their maneuvering capabilities and reaction time. Jess was all set to smash the record of one of the previous students when the simulation cut her short right before the end. She had tried to cut the course by flying too close to a black hole and the computer claimed she got sucked in. Jess knew differently, however, she had pulled that exact same maneuver during an actual race and knew it would work. She tried to fight her instructors on the results but only ended up with latrine duty for her efforts. The same latrine duty To'ran just teased her with.

"Wait, you watched my performances," she asked, trying to get her mind off the embarrassing moment she just had.

Damien nodded, "You cost me a boatload of credits your first race, you know? Voth Umdal was all set to clinch that title until you pulled that stunt of yours. Who slingshots around a black hole, Jess? You're insane, you know that?"

Jess said nothing. She didn't really think that maneuver was really anything special. She had a very strong feeling it would work so she gave it a try. Everyone congratulated her for it but she didn't feel like she deserved their adulation. After all, she kind of cheated, didn't she? She had to cut a corner to pull off that stunt and probably didn't deserve the win. With a sigh she leaned back in her chair and fell silent. Damien continued to talk to her but she only barely paid any attention to him. Instead she was bothered by something else. Something other than the slip up she had earlier. That same feeling of unease she had on her way down here was back and it felt stronger now that she was actually sitting on the shuttle. Could it be that she was starting to have second thoughts?
Vaemar

Post by Vaemar »

Thinking about what the future may hold, Kraven overheard a bit of the conversation. So she broke my record? Impressive

"Y'know, you've got talent, talent and a good spice of luck." He said, smirking. "Those computers are programmed to make you follow orders, the original model would probably let you do that, but you think they want to encourage recruits to fly around black holes?"
"War isn't about dying for your country, it's about making the other bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Tyköl couldn't help but overhear the conversation. He didn't look up to the others, he was too busy cleaning his blaster rifle.

"Hold on Kraven," Ty couldn't keep silent any longer. "Slice of Luck?"

Ty took a deep breath but didn't take his eyes off of his rifle, Juniper.

"We all know she has a smoother control than you." He began taking apart his gun and examining it closely. "Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the computer stopped her from that acid trip of a run. I hold the third best record, and she would've knocked me off the platform."

Ty paused. He could hear Kraven shifting in his seat. He continued to examine the trigger on Juniper. It was too sensitive, his mom would have pulled him aside if she knew it had been over a month since he last took Juniper apart.

Ty continued talking, "Her control was other-wordly, and her awareness of her ship's ability was veteran. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume she was one of those... jedis..." He looked up to Jess and smiled, "But that's probably not true. You are a veteran, you just started while still in the womb."

Ty looked back down and continued working on Juniper.
Vaemar

Post by Vaemar »

"Hey, when I said luck that didn't mean..." He looked at Ty, then to Damien and Jess, then faced down at his lap. He felt pretty embarrassed. Ty made Kraven realize that the thought of somebody surpassing him in something made him super defensive. And that 'in the womb' thing? In attempt to change the topic, he began speaking.

"One of those jedi? Its called force-sensitivity," He was about to say something rude when he looked at Jess, then back to Ty. "People aren't just born as jedi."
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

"You're right." Ty responded, finally making eye contact with Kraven. "I misspoke. But you have to remember I'm from Naboo."

He looked at Mae, Don't do it Ty, just leave it for now. Then he looked back at Kraven with a smile.

"You might not be born a jedi... but people like the emperor aren't made either. He was born that way. Evil from the beginning."

Don't, people will think your prejudice, Mae said to him.

I am prejudice, Mae.

Ty shook his head, "But what do I know. I shouldn't be insensitive towards something i don't know anything about."

Stood from his chair and reached out his hand in a friendly manner towards Kraven.

"I didn't mean to be rude, please forgive me."

Are you happy now, sis? Through the thoughts, he kept smiling.
Vaemar

Post by Vaemar »

Kraven would stand up, shaking his hand.

"Hey, the blame is 50-50. I don't know if I agree with you one the whole born evil thing, but maybe its those midiblorbians, midiwobians, midi..whateverians," He'd say, laughing a bit that he forgot what they were called. He'd sit down, resting.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Guys, please," Jess said suddenly. Somehow this was more embarrassing than To'ran's playful dressing down. Then she remembered she was talking to a superior officer. "Excuse me, Sir," she apologized, "I just... The Jedi aren't real," she finished sheepishly then she looked away. Part of her hoped the others would take a hint and stop talking about her as if she were a Jedi.
Vaemar

Post by Vaemar »

"Please, just call me Kraven. Leave sir for the battlefield," Kraven said, turning to look at Jess, and smiling.

Why do I always smile at her? Kraven thought about that for a second, before shrugging it off. He chose to ignore the whole 'jedi don't exist' thing, as the last thing he wanted was to get into an argument.
Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Jaclen turned into the docking bay in time to see a fellow Green Squadron pilot slip and slide past the officer standing by the shuttle. She stopped and stifled a grin, before continuing on her way.

As she reached the shuttle, she dropped the duffel bag and came to attention, saluting the officer - a captain judging by the bars on his collar.

"Flight Officer Jaclen Markai reporting in, sir."

She remained at attention, awaiting his response.
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

For Vaylen, packing was a light affair. Most of the things he considered his were tools, and most of those tools actually belonged to the mech pool, so he couldn't quite justify taking them with.

So he said his quiet good byes to the surroundings he had called home, his workbenches, underused quarters, and especially, his X-Wing. He lingered a moment beneath the metal beast he had become rather attached to, wondering if it too would be transferred to his new home. Vaylen had no way of knowing at the moment, but he certainly hoped so.

"If this is good bye, then I wish you well in your future battles. Lunshei will watch over you, as she does all her creations." He murmured quietly to the X-Wing, which continued to rest stoically in the hanger in response.

"Ratter." He called over to the BB unit, which was pretending to be working while watching Vaylen with rather obvious curiosity. "Come on, we're leaving. We've been reassigned. I will explain later."

Ratter exploded into a string of Binary, too fast for Vaylen to follow entirely. "I know you have questions, but I cannot explain right now. Just trust me. This is for the best. I hope."He added the last with a slight twitch of his lekku.

Five minutes later, he was arriving at the docking bay, a small backpack slung over his shoulder and Ratter nipping at his heels. Captain To'ran was standing by the shuttle, apparently greeting each pilot who found their way in. Vaylen gave a nod of greeting to the new pilot he did not recognize who was also approaching the shuttle, then saluted the Captain.

"Sir." He said simply. The Captain saluted back. "Flight Officer Vaylen." A trace of a smile played on the captain's face for second, and it looked as though he might have considered saying more, but brevity won out. Vaylen did often like excessive words and the Captain seemed to respect that by reciprocation.

Without further exchange, he moved into the interior of the shuttle, finding several of the others already sitting mid-squabble.

Hardly a surprise or rarity amongst Green Squadron. Vaylen had long ago decided that such squabbles were normal and probably healthy for a group of highly opinionated, aggressive, not to mention egotistical, elite pilots. There may have been a few quiet professionals in the mix, but it was simply impossible to have such a mix of personalities without conflicts, and the mild squabbles were like a pressure relief valve on the whole working dynamic of the group.

Vaylen found a seat next to the male half of the twins, Ty, who was polishing up his blaster.

"And what great mystery of the cosmos are we debating today? Which brand of caf is superior?" He asked quietly of Ty.
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran was just sizing up Officer Markai when Vaylen, perhaps one of the more senior, and respected, members of the Green Squadron. He smirked at Vaylen as he returned his salute, and the pilot continued on into the shuttle. He returned his gaze to Markai, but was smiling warmly at another of the squadron's new recruits. He had read her jacket and was impressed with her scores and abilities in a fighter.

"Pilot Markai, it is good to have you aboard. Welcome to the Red Dagger and Green Squadron." he then returned her salute. "Join the rest of the goons in the shuttle. I'm sure they are arguing about something absolutely not worth arguing about."

Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

"Valen, welcome aboard," Ty said resting his hand on the Twi'lek's shoulder. "Arguments, none that I'm not winning."

A quick cough came from Mae as he spoke those words.

"We've been discussing intergalactic politics, gravball, podracing... and oh, the existence of jedi and their potential evil from birth."

Ty flashed a quick smile towards Kraven then looked back to Valen.

"But you know, nothing that can't be solved from a competition behind the cockpit."
Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Jaclen returned the nod from Vaylen almost imperceptibly. She came at ease when To'ran smiled, and flashed a grin when he told her to get in the shuttle. She liked the Captain already.

"Yes sir!" She grabbed her duffel bag, snapped another salute and walked up the ramp to the shuttle.

She found a seat near her squadron mates, close enough to hear their conversation but far enough so as to not seem presumptuous. She was eager to get to know everyone, but realized that she was the new kid. She'd been burned before by being too forward too soon.
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Vaylen rubbed his chin, emoting his thoughtfulness. "Hm. Well, I will add my contributions, then. Politics: a game that no one wins." He went down the list, ticking his fingers as he went. "Gravball: my money is on Corellia this season. Podracing: seems like the best way to lose a limb or two, and Jedi?" He paused for a moment before making a mild dismissive gesture. "A legend, albeit one that likely has a small seed of truth somewhere in it."

He settled back in his seat, making sure his backpack was stowed underneath before ensuring Ratter had found a place to secure himself. He smiled faintly at Ty before looking beyond him to Mae. It didn't surprise him that Ty was here; the man seemed to be unable to avoid trouble, and this endeavor was likely a ticket to trouble. But Mae... Well, she would go where her brother went. They were inseparable, almost literally it seemed. Still, Vaylen couldn't help but wonder if Mae would have chosen differently if it had just been her to consider. She always seemed much more of a rule follower.

"Mae." He said in greeting. "I see your brother has dragged you into another escapade."
TalRaimi
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

Alek’s chrono read zero eight thirty by the time he’d stuffed the last of his meagre possessions into the grey duffle bag. It hadn’t taken him long to pack, his years of military service had taught him to pack fast and light. The bag held toiletries, underwear, a flight suit, two sets of Khakis, and a dress uniform, although considering Green Squadron’s new assignment he wasn’t sure the dress uniform would be needed. He’d toyed with leaving it behind, but that would have meant getting rid of it or returning it to the quartermaster which might raise some unwanted questions. Better just to take it with him.

And besides... he’d earned that uniform.

Alek sat down heavily on his bunk and looked around his sparse quarters, his eyes coming back to focus on the duffle bag sitting at his feet. It wasn’t a lot to show for a five years in the military; come to think about it, it wasn’t a lot to show for twenty five years of life. Perhaps in some ways it made the decision to go off reservation easier for him.

No ties. No attachments.

So, why was he doing this?

The Admiral and To’ran believe there are threats out there that the New Republic aren’t dealing with. So do I believe them?

Yes.

He’d been around long enough to see the military budgets being cut year after year. Older ships were decommissioned and not replaced. Fewer pilots came through the academy each year. Complacency was creeping in. Just because there were no big threats left didn’t mean the galaxy was a safe place, the outer rim was still a den of scum and villainy, but the Republic didn’t interfere there much because most planets weren’t member worlds. And who knew just what lurked in the unknown regions of the galaxy...

But is that enough to make me break my oath to the Republic? Or am I using it as an excuse?

Alek put his hand behind his head and leaned back on his bunk. The truth was... he was bored. Alek was a Pamarthen by birth, flying was in his blood, he craved adventure, excitement, challenge! The New Republic wasn’t giving him those things.

He’d joined the New Republic to fight an enemy long defeated. His father had been a Rebel pilot, his mother a solider; he’d been raised on stories of the galactic civil war and had wanted to fight to protect the New Republic they’d helped create. The truth was that peacetime was much less exciting than the stories his mother had told him about the war growing up; and rightly so. He wasn’t so delusional as to wish to bring back the Empire just so he had something to fight, but peacetime flying just wasn’t giving him what he craved from life.

Alek stood, slinging the duffle over his shoulder and left his quarters without a backward glance. He arrived just as Jaclen was entering the shuttle. She was one of two Rookie’s that had recently joined the squadron and Alek was curious as to how she flew. Not that he was in any way competitive, of course, he merely wanted to be able to count on her if things ever got tough out there.

Duffle still slung over his shoulder he stopped before Captain To’ran, momentarily hesitating, not sure if he should salute given what they were about to do. In the end he gave over to habit and snapped a crisp salute. “Captain. How’s the turn out so far?”
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

(Dual Post- Enriler and Starlight)

Mae gave her brother a sidelong glance, the skin tightening around her eyes for a brief moment before she turned to the Twi'lek. "Well, you know how we feel about being bored."

Speaking of boredom, do you think you could slow your roll at least while we're on the shuttle?

Hey, I didn't mean to offend. Maybe I should have stayed out of the conversation?

Ty looked up to Vaylen and smiled an overly friendly smile. At least I know how to make amends.

Mae leaned back against the surprisingly comfortable shuttle seat, pulling her braid forward over her shoulder. Oh really. How so?

To Vaylen, she said. "Our loyalty is to defend those who cannot defend themselves. The emblem under which we fly matters less than those we are flying for."

Ty began to lean back at the same time as Mae. In a quick attempt to be different and not again similar to his twin, he jerked his chest forward and almost fell out of his seat.

Ty looked up to Mae in embarrassment as a couple members of green squadron began to chuckle, including Kraven and Vaylen

I got Kraven to shake my hand, we're as good as best buds. And look, even as an accident everyone is smiling and getting along better. I can unite the world. Ty smiled towards Mae. He began adjusting his pack and getting settled back into his seat with Juniper.

Mae gave a long suffering sigh, the cool gray of her eyes warming with humor and affection, as Ty knew they would.

Dad always said you could charm a crystal snake out of its skin, she retorted. That still won't save you from scrubbing the 'freshers.’ What was so important that you courted cleaning detail, anyway?

Ty fidgeted with his bag, and zipped the already closed bag tighter. 

If I tell you, you can't get mad. Okay, just promise me you won't get mad, because I did this for you.

Mae glanced at her brother again, gave an imperceptible nod.

Remember when the Naboo government confiscated Mom's 'extreme' weapons by order of the New Republic’s ‘peace initiative?’ Well, they didn't get it all. The New Republic never saw her ‘Bessy.’

Ty nodded as he tapped his backpack. I hid her assassin's scope. Since we're no longer part of the New Republic, maybe you can use it.

Mae coughed to cover her surprise, but Ty could feel his sister's reaction. Shock, yes, but also a deep gratitude and affection. I love you, you blockheaded crouton.

Ty held his hand out and the twins clasped hands. Hey, anything for my older sister. That one minute of age difference has cost me a lot over the years, this time... some latrine duty.
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran smiled back at Alek, it was a kind of smile that told him that there was some relief that spoke of some doubt whether he believed that Alek would join them or not. To'ran always liked Alek's level-headedness, but he knew that he had a streak of adventurousness that could span a parsec.

"So far, so good Pilot." He returned the salute and then held out his hand. "I'm glad that you are coming along Alek. It wouldn't be Green without you. Welcome to the Red Dagger."

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

“Thank you, Sir,” Alek replied, taking To’ran's words to mean that a large part of the squadron had already arrived. From their earlier reaction to the news about the Fleet’s downsizing he would have put money on most of them following To’ran but you never could tell.

Point on fact, To’ran’s smile of relief when Alek had arrived. Was I that much of a doubt? Still, at least it proves I’m not predictable.

“I’ll go see for myself who we’ve got then,” Alek excused himself and trotted to the shuttle.

A quick look around told him that almost everyone was here. Almost. Stowing his duffle in a nearly locker he sat down next to Jaclen. “So, no sign of the fish head yet?”
VagueDurin
The one and only Stoban

Post by VagueDurin »

Lt. Dutari walked down the corridors of the Harm's Way, leaving a trail of disapproving glances and Shento scented smoke in his wake. Otsoa had never been addressed directly for his violation of the ships smoking policy though the Urmaellian wasn't sure if that was due to his allegiance to Green Squadron or the fact that even within the mixed species population of the New Republic rumors of the Fish Head had taken on a life of their own...

Otsoa found the enclosed corridors of a warship comforting, even soothing. Many recruits he'd spoken with throughout his career encountered the opposite, but the reinforced transperisteel and bulkheads reminded the pilot of the underwater cities he grew up in on his home planet of Hasiera. Dutari paused short of the bulkhead that would lead him to pilots quarters. seinale shrinking low in a frown.

His thoughts wandered, the weight of this decision once again straining his shoulders. Should he choose to leave with presumably the rest of his squadron, would he see Hasiera again? Whether he would survive the coming battles not withstanding, if branded a traitor, would the Urmaellian Array allow him to return? A difficult thing to imagine... The Array was neutral, and had been since the Empire was driven from their sector but would they be so overt as to harbor a Republic fugitive?

Otsoa's seinale quivered as he forcibly cleared his mind of those thoughts. The best thing about the future is that it only comes one cycle at a time. He blew out another drag from the Shento and then turned the corner. There was only one cycle to worry about right now, and it was the next one.

Lonny let loose a barrage of bleeps and blats as soon as the blast door opened, his orange dome spinning to focus an unflinching radar eye at Otsoa.

"No, secrets and lies are not how you get Mynocks Lonny. You know kriffing well how we get Mynocks, or have you forgotten the Umgul incident?"

The R6 unit warbled a mournful tone in reply.

"That's what I thought," Otsoa spoke as he moved over to the footlocker in front of his bed. He keyed in the combination, opening the container and pulling out an ornately shaped bottle and a short but stout glass. "Now if you're done being a nuisance, throw up our personal belongings inventory on the bulkhead over there, yeah?"

Otsoa set the glass down on a small field desk and opened the bottle, the cork making a satisfying pop as it released the pressure inside. The Urmaellian filled the glass about on third of the way to the rim and stood back to admire the carmine colored liquid as it settled. The strong scent of the Azpian Ardoa slowly filling the room. Otsoa was pulled from his thoughts by the bright flash of light as Lonny projected their inventory up upon the wall.

"Great, thank you." he spoke, only to have another barrage of blats in reply. "Alright, alright... ill fill you in while I pack..."

Lt. Dutari went on to explain to the droid all about what newly pinned Captain To'ran had to say to the squadron, and what it might mean if they went through with it. When he was through, the droid asked him what he meant by if.

"Well what, we decide we're going to leave the republic and you think tradition just gets thrown by the wayside? Listen, the youngsters might've been too excited to remember what Green Squadron is all about but let me tell you, Green does not fade." Otsoa hefted his glass in the air dramatically. Only to have his droid ask what he was blathering about. "A vote, of course! I'm certainly not making this decision for us unilaterally!"

Lonny stuttered out the droid equivalent of sarcastic laughter, then bleeped.

"Right, count of three. Thumbs up means we follow To'ran, down means we stay here to get reassigned. One, two..." In unison, Otsoa raised his right thumb in the air while Lonny flicked out his torch and lit it upward. "Fine, that settles it. Green to the bone... or however it goes."

Packing was a relatively short affair. Clothing, Toiletries, Cigars, Ardoa... only the essentials. The Urmaellian walked at a brisk pace down the corridor, duffel bag snug over his shoulders, freshly lit Shento in one hand, the chinstrap of his helmet in the other. As they broke through the blastdoor to the hangar, Lonny blasted a quick whistle and bleep.

"This is no time to do a slow-mo entrance. Just come on, we're barely on time as it is." Otsoa grumbled at the droid before continuing on confidently through the hangar and up to where Captain To'ran waited.

He slowed to a stop a couple paces from the senior officer and after sticking the cigar into his mouth, snapped a crisp salute. "Room for one more, Commodore?" he asked, seinale flared in a smirk.
Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Valexia had just about had enough of this pilot and his crew. They left almost a hour late, took a route that was trying to be clever but wasn't, and when they thought they saw a First Order patrols, they flew off in another direction away from their final destination. Valexia almost took the ship by herself, but she was told to keep a low profile. She had one hand on one of her pistols and the others was on top of her all black with chrome inlays R8 droid, Nightmare. As she waited in the galley, crew members would stroll by and try to catch a look at her but her cloak was designed to hide her features well enough. The last time she travel without it, the crew had to take several trips to the med bay so she would avoid that situation as much as possible.

"If I am late, would it be possible to at least break the captain's arm? " She said to her droid and it responded with a low tone of disappointment. "Ya, I thought so. At least we just came out of hyperspace. I hope I am not even later than I should have been. There was a briefing I was to be at almost a hour ago." The droid made another series of warbles and tweets but she wasn't listening at this point. Her bag was under her feet and her X-wing had already been transferred a day earlier so it would be waiting, she just wanted off this ship. It smelled of multiple male species hormones and "other" aromas that she really didn't feel like trying to identify. She was taken from her attempt to block out the smells with a broadcast that came from the cockpit.

"Tazer III, you are cleared to land in hanger bay 3-F. You're late."

"We ran into a First Order patrol so we ended up taking a little bit longer to get here."

Valexia half snorted, "Lying sack of poodoo." she said under her breath. She stood up and grabbed her bag, she would be walking down the ramp as soon as she could. She made her way to the ramp and the pilot was right behind her. As it lowered, he reached out and grabber arm to say something but before he could speak, one of her Westar-34's flashed and was under his chin lifting him up onto his toes. The human was short, fat and smelled of too much Corellian whiskey and Kamonian flat fish.

"In what universe did you think you had permission to touch me?" Valexia noticed the co-pilot coming right at her and she shifted her weight with her bag in the other hand, to catch him right in the front of his knee with the heel of her boot. The audible crunch had his squealing in pain and also brought with it the attention of some in the hanger. One of which was wearing commander tags. Valexia stepped back towards the ramp and slowly moved her way down to the hanger floor all with the pilot at end of her blaster.

"What is the meaning of this?" bellowed the Commander as he and some other guards came to the scene.

"This captain could use some lessons in manners, sir. He keeps thinking he is allowed to touch whoever he wants." The venom pouring out of her mouth was heavy and Nightmare came right down the ramp after them.

" Go a head and let him down." Said the Commander and as she did, the captain reached out and pulled at her hood. As it fell back, her long purple hair fell out and her violet eyes flashed. She spun and with a wicked crack, she had dropped the bag and planted the left fist directly on the end of the human's nose. There was instant blood and the rotund man fell back completely out. She her gasps, and realized what had happened. Her deep pink skin had been seen by those around her. The man standing there were gawking at her. She let out a heavy sigh and pulled her hood back up over her head.

"Commander, I apologize for being late but I was just transferred out here. I am to be with Green squadron and here is my transfer orders." Without missing a beat she reached into her bag and handed the datapad to Commander To'ran.

"You got here just in time, that shuttle right there is Green Squadron, and I would hurry they are about to leave." He pointed back over his shoulder with his thumb. Valexia nodded her head and she and the droid hurried off to the other shuttle.

"A Zeltron with Green Squadron, this just keeps getting more entertaining." To'ran said to himself and then seeing how none of his men had moved yet, he cleared his throat and ordered, "Get this mess cleaned up and someone get those two men to the med bays... and have the droids bathe them." The men snapped to and started to do as the Commander ordered.

Valexia made her way into the shuttle and took a quick look around, humans and non were all sitting around together and she walked in with all eyes on her. She pulled the cloak down a little bit more and moved to the back of the area by herself.

"Valexia Morey reporting. Apologies for being late."
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran smiled warmly to the Urmaellian as he stood before him. "Well hell, I guess I'll have to have them stock fish flakes on the ship after all so you'll have something to eat. Not to mention a supply of Ick antibiotics...I seem to recall a incident on Rallus..."

Otsoa held up a hand to stop the Captain. "Please Captain, I would rather not reminiscence about that unpleasantness, if you don't mind."

"Neither would I, or the rest of the Squadron either Otsoa." Smiled knowingly and held out his hand. Otsoa took it and To'ran shook it firmly. "I am glad you came my friend. Welcome to the Red Da..."

To'ran's words were cut off with the entrance of the Zeltron and the subsequent assault and point that he summarized that needed to be made. She hurriedly made her statement and then entered into the shuttle. He thought for a moment and then leaned his head into the shuttle opening.

"Pilot Valexia, please report to Pilot Sterling for your first duties at the Fleet." He spoke in a overly pleasant voice, and one that the other members of Green Squadron knew only too well, hence why all conversation suddenly stopped and all eyes looked to the Zeltron.

"What?" Valexia asked sharply, as she looked around at them all staring at her. "You never seen a Zeltron before."

Everyone looked at one another, and then most of them shook their heads with knowing little smirks.

"Oh, we have seen your kind before." Otsoa stated flatly as he stowed his gear and then turned around to face her while blowing out a pungent cloud from his cigar in her direction. "But not one that's going to spend her first weeks in Green Squadron cleaning Refreshers."

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Is there a gym where we’re going, bro?

“No clue.”

Mate came to a full stop, his top half dome swiveling to stare at Jakob. What kind of nonsense is this? Bro, you need to talk some sense into To’rizzle man.

“I need to get you reprogrammed. Incidentally, do you have a holo of him having relations with a Twi’lek?”

Depends on who’s asking.

“There’s no one else in this hallway.”

Mate’s dome swiveled around, checking for eavesdroppers and other ilk and delinquents. There was no one else in the hallway. The droid started rolling forward, and Jakob followed, large green duffel bag on his back.

I mean…maybe I do. Maybe I don’t. Maybe it’ll cost you 5 credits to kno, fo sho.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

That’s the friends and family rate, bro. I gotta make a living out here. Protein bars ain’t cheap, and apparently droids don’t get paid in the New Republic military. Like I don’t have any bills to pay.

“You don’t have any bills to pay.” Jakob replied as they kept moving through the hallway in the direction of the hangar where the squadron was meeting up. “Wait. What bills do you have to pay?”

Monthly Holonet domain service plus bandwith costs. Had to put that video with the twi’lek on the ‘net, bro. Galaxy deserves to see it. Mate replied. The droid waited a few beats, knowing that Jakob had narrowed eyes aimed at the back of his head. I’m kidding. I promise.

“You better be.” Jakob said as they rounded a corner and entered the hangar.

He saw the shuttle, and he saw To’ran and Otsoa. He headed over to them, as Otsoa continued his smoking.

“You decided to show.” To’ran said. “Figured there was a chance you might not.”

“You’d lose your mind if you had to deal with all of them.” Jakob said. “Also, you could have told me that fuzzy lumpkins transferred Kraving Glory into the squadron.” He said.

Otsoa stopped smoking. “Is that why he’s here? Did you tell Damus that we needed to have a vote?”

“He’s far more concerned with defending democracy than actual democracy transpiring, particularly in a military setting that isn't supposed to have democracy.” To’ran replied to the Urmaellian. “After all, we’re not officially leaving the New Republic, simply…spreading the good word.”

We’re missionaries, bro.

“Exactly, we’re missionaries.” To’ran said, looking down at Mate.

I know you like being a missionary. Mate said, and then innocently started rolling away.

To’ran’s brow furrowed in slight confusion. “Is he talking about-“

“He’s talking about the Twi’lek.” Jakob said, nodding.

“What Twi’lek?” Otsoa asked, his seinale moving in curiosity.

“You don’t need to know.” To’ran said, waving a hand in the air, as he closed his eyes. “Alright, let’s get on board and get out of here.”
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran entered the shuttle, looking back over his shoulder through the viewport at the Harm's Way moored to the station. He had spent the better part of a decade aboard her with Admiral Damus, and through many battles, she had withstood the assaults, shared in their victories...and in some cases their defeats. After each time, she continued and persevered, and grew stronger with each and every one, much like the Green Squadron itself.

I'll see you again girl.

With a final glance at the gleaming Republic Destroyer, he entered the shuttle and secured the door.

He looked around the passenger area and smiled at the mix of pilots within the room. If he was a new commander, taking over a new squadron, doubt and fear would be the word of the day. But knowing this particular group, with the exception of the last minute additions, he felt a strange sense of satisfaction instead of dread.

"Otsoa, you and Sterling hit the cockpit and take us out. Nav coordinates are already set in."

Both pilots took the seats and Otsoa looked at the coordinates, and his sienale wavered slightly, which matched the confusion in his narrowed eyes. "Sir, these coordinates take us to the Republic Decom..."

"I know where we're going Fishhead." To'ran cut him off and then pulled a lapel out from his neck to show him the Fleet Captain's insignia. "I have these on not because the gold goes well with my green eyes."

"I stand corrected...sir." Otsoa nodded, but still with a perplexed look in his fishy expression.

To'ran watched as the two of them detached from the docking port and slowly started to pull away. He was just turning around when suddenly the shuttle jolted hard, nearly knocking everyone out of their seats.

Otsoa pointed towards the panel to the right of Sterling. "Umbilical detach, if you don't mind." he stated calmly.

"Sorry, sorry....sorry." Jessica grumbled loudly and cringed as she flipped the switch, causing the shuttle to continue its shift away from the station, the viewport now filled with the star-filled darkness of space.

"If there's a Black Hole out there, you think you two can miss it?" To'ran smirked, but didn't wait for a reply.

"Alright, settle down for a moment. You can get to your vote in a moment." To'ran stated as he stood in the entrance between the cockpit and passenger area. "First, I want to remind you all that 'officially', we are still a part of the New Republic Military, so protocol's are still in place...which I know means nothing to most of you, but we will follow them." This got a few small chuckles from some.

"Secondly, when we get to the fleet, all conversations prior in private should be considered Blackout intel. You will not discuss anything with the other members or officers of the Red Dagger Fleet until such time as I or Jax says otherwise."

"But I will tell you all now, that many of the officers on the fleet are sympathetic to our mission, and have been handpicked by Admiral Damus and a few well-trusted members of the Senate...actually one trusted member. I'm sure you all know who she is. Those officers in turn have submitted their own transfer requests for personnel to be placed under their command, that have shown equal sympathetic or concerns about how the Senate is whittling our forces down to nothing. All of these transfers have been quietly pushed through and innocuously done over the course of the last 6 months, so the Senate Arms Committee hasn't seen reports of mass transfers to the new fleet."

He stood quiet for a moment and allowed them to digest the scope and foresight that the Admiral had used to get them this far. "With all that said, we'll be at the new fleet in approximately 30 minutes...now...get the damn vote out of the way."

"Oh, by the way. Mate, come here a sec." He gestured at the droid, who rolled over to him quickly. To'ran then leaned down and whispered in Mate's audio receiver, so no one else could hear him but the droid. "If so much as a blurred image of that holo reaches a single eyeball...I'll have your memories and processors transferred to a certain Hutt's Body Service Droid that will be attached with a 24/7 holofeed so all your droid buddies can see what you're doing around the clock."

Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Ty stood from his seat and clapped his hands to get everyone's attention. A few looked up at him, including Kraven who started shaking his head. This wasn't enough, he needed everyone's attention. He clapped again, louder, and began obnoxiously clearing his throat.

Seriously, what are you doing, He looked down at Mae who's face was clearly showing signs of annoyance.

By this point, Ty had been able to get everyone's attention not including the pilots.

"I know you are all wondering why I have gathered you today." Ty said, adjusting his collar as if he was wearing a tie. "And I appreciate your willingness to show up on time, or" He looked to Valexia, "Or show up late and take my latrine duties from me. I appreciate that by the way."

A few of the squadron mumbled to themselves. Many started shaking their heads or looking away.

"You see, I was raised on a lovely farm in a town outside of Naboo proper." He looked to the ceiling as if gazing into the past, "And from a young boy--"

"Who cares, Ty. Just sit down." Someone said from the side, he couldn't tell who it was, but to say they were frustrated was an understatement.

Get to the point, this is becoming embarrassing

He looked to Mae out of the corner of his eye, I'm sorry, I have a point, I swear.

"So on, and so forth, and we're here. An amazing..." He looked to Otsoa and nodded, "Rambunctious," He smiled towards Vaylen, "Fresh from Hell and overall arrogant group of people." He stared at Kraven for a moment with a half smirk.

"But on a serious note." He grabbed his rifle, Juniper, and held it close to his chest. "I wouldn't be honest if I said getting on this shuttle was an easy decision."

He looked around as some of the squadron nodded along.

"Look, this is more than a commitment to do our best. This is an impassioned decision that we have all made, rather quickly I might add, to go forth and take on an unknown evil." He gripped Juniper even tighter.

"This is more than a decision to tiptoe outside of the New Republic lines. We do that every patrol as long as we're okay with the punishment when we get back." He paused, "But the punishment isn't just latrine duty. It could be imprisoned for treason, or worse."

"I think we should make a verbal commitment. Not just to each other, but to our cause. Because I need to know that the man, or woman," He nodded towards Mae, "who is on my wing is with me to the end."

"I trust you all, even those who are hardly know. Jess," He said looking to her, "I've maybe had five conversations with you, and one of them just ten minutes ago. But you're on Green Squadron. You are part of Green Squadron. And if you say you'll have my back, I trust with 100% confidence that you will accomplish just that."

Then he gulped, "Or die trying." He continued to look around the shuttle, "We are committing to each other. To do fight with each other, against a threat we know very little about."

"I'm here, verbally committing to everyone else, that I will have your back. And that I am all in."

He sat back down, "This isn't just a vote." He kept his voice loud enough for everyone to hear, "This is a commitment to the pilot sitting next to you. Are we all in?"
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

You don’t know my life, you don’t know me. You don’t know what I’m capable of, Bro.

“I’ve known you your entire life. I was there when Jakob’s father gave you to him, remember?”

Mate paused, thinking about it. Bro, I will go droid shit on you. Mate said, his optic lens narrowing. You’re not bout that life To’rizzle.

He turned and rolled over to where Jakob was, leaning against a bulkhead, listening to Ty speak. The young man spoke to esprit de corps and he spoke in a way that was more eloquent and learned than his age indicated. The twin pilots had been an interesting addition to the squadron, undoubtedly. Jakob was always leery of having relatives as squadron members. Not only did they tend to agree with each other to the potential detriment of the squadron, but if one was in danger, there was always the possibility that the other would abandon their post in order to protect the sibling. But while Mae and Ty had that risk, they seemed able to control it in a way that Jakob found admirable. Their uncanny ability to seemingly know what the other was thinking had been an incredible asset to the squadron in almost every fire fight they’d been in since the twins had joined.

Ty may have been young, but that didn’t mean that Jakob overlooked whatever he had to say.

“If I may,” Jakob said, raising a hand to get Ty’s attention. The younger man nodded, letting the commander step into the aisle of the shuttle. “We’re at a crossroads. We’re soldiers, which means that-“

“Technically, we’re pilots.” Otsoa said.

“He’s right, you know.” Alek said.

“Okay, fine, we’re pilots.” Jakob said. “But the oaths we took puts us under the jurisdiction of the civil servants elected by the people of the New Republic. I know everyone is here, for different reasons. What we’re doing, we run the heavy risk of being in direct opposition to those oaths and to the service we swore to the New Republic. There’s nothing wrong with everyone giving their decision another thought. For me, my commitment has always been to the man or woman flying next to me.”

“What if they’re above you?” Jessica called out.

“What if they’re below you?” Damien asked.

Jakob sighed. “That too. The thing is…” he said and trailed off before looking around. “I’m trying to have a moment here. Can I have a moment? Is that okay with everyone?” He asked.

There were murmurs around the shuttle.

Mate rolled over and a compartment opened. He extended an arm with a protein bar in it, but Jakob waved him off. “I’m not hungry, I’m fine.” Jakob said and Mate nodded, retracting the bar. “Everyone should know that the man or woman fighting on their team will always have their back. That’s all I’m trying to say. We’re a team, we’re a family, and we look after each other.”
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

It was Damien's turn to stand up now and he looked at all the gathered pilots. "I know that it's probably easier for me to be here than most of you," he began, "I mean I'm just a grease monkey. I'm not the one out there with his ass on the line like the rest of you boys and girls, but I want you all to know that I will do everything I can to keep your ships flying high and if there is anything I can do to support you just ask."

He ended his speech by glancing over at Jessica only to see that she was thoroughly distracted with flying the ship. At the moment she was half bent over a console reading some data displayed on a screen. "Anyway, that's all I wanted to say," he finished sheepishly as he sat back down.
TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

As Damien sat back down Alek leaned forward and grinned at him, “Hey Damien, there is one thing you can do to support me.”

“Name it,” Damien said earnestly.

“Can you repad my ejector seat? I swear the padding’s not been replaced since the fighter rolled off the production line.”

A handful of laughs and an equal number of groans followed, before a thought occurred to Alek. “I assume our ships are coming with us, right? Unless we’re being upgraded to T-85’s?” he asked hopefully.
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Valyn remained silent as the various individuals took their chance to speak, neither smiling at their levity, nor resenting it. The squadron would face stresses and dangers untold in the days to come, and such jovial comments were nothing more than an antidote to the pressure they all felt inside. Valyn was convinced that despite any cavalier façades that might be on display, every member present felt the strain of this decision.

Only someone who truly does not care about their fate would feel no trepidation in the move from a publically respected military unit to the quasi-legal clandestine organization this is, which will probably only be officially supported in as far as it does not interfere with someone's political career.

He watched Ty intently as the younger man spoke. The human wasn't much younger than Valyn; he guessed maybe a few cycle. But he had a sense about him, perhaps not so much a naivety but just a lack of maturity that came with confronting adversity. While Valyn was willing to admit he might be jumping to snap judgment, he also realized, it hardly mattered. If Ty was lacking in maturity, this stint of being part of an active combat unit would likely cure him of that.

Valyn waited until there was a lull in the conversation to speak. "I feel as though we have all made such a commitment to each other simply by stepping on this shuttle. Words can be important, however. Words without action are empty and action without words are thoughtless." He looked around at each one of them. "I am here because I chose to be, and I commit myself to all of your safety, in as much as it is in my power."
Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Valexia rolled her eyes. She knew that no one was really looking her way, which she was fine with her but to hear everyone pledge themselves felt like dribble. Her cloak hid her body language well but she was fuming inside. Some of these guys had seen battle but the others felt brand new. Hwe violet eyes moving back and forth to read everyone. One thing she enjoyed about being a Zeltron, is being able to read species easily. One of the only saving graces of her people.

Then as the last one spoke, she finally had enough.

"...in as much as it is in my power."

"So what happens when it is not in your power? What happens when everything turns sideways and all your plans get blown to hell? All your posturing and pledge making goes right out the window when it becomes you or the person next you." She had leaned forward but had not yet pulled her hood back. Her Zeltron genes were still in effect. Her voice, not matter how much she was agitated still sounded soft and sensual. A drawback to the hundreds of years of genetics manipulation.

"If you have ever stared in the face of someone from the First Order or been under attack from those you perceived to be your allies? Suddenly you find yourself all alone with oaths buried under mountains of fear and self preservation. I have and watched some with years of war under their belt, turn and run. So please excuse me of your oaths, and attempts at eloquent speeches. When the fire starts and the ground erupts around you will you find out who has your back. Until then, keep them to yourselves."

She sat back against the seat. She hadn't meant to come across that strongly, but the scars she hid under her clothes and those that ran deeper, had heard these speeches too many times to count. If this was going to work as a squadron, they would need to be tested by fire and then see who still remained.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"If you have so little trust for us then why are you here," Damien demanded of her suddenly, surprising everyone present. The others all turned to look at him but none of them said anything. Valexia gave him a cold hard stare that was difficult to see under her hood.

"And what would a mechanic know of it?"

"Damien has the heart of Green Squadron," Ty said in his defense, "He's one of us."

Valexia turned to respond but Damien cut her off. "Look, we all got on this boat for our own reasons," he said, "but for as long as I have worked beside this unit you guys have always been a family. Family never turns its back on each other. Right, Jess?"

Jessica's hands tightened on the controls and she kept her gaze focused on the hyperspace tunnel in front of her. "Uh yeah, of course," she answered quickly.

"Well, I'm convinced," Valexia replied sarcastically.

Damien tried to give Jess a look but the pilot pressed a switch on the console and closed the cockpit hatchway before he could say anything. "She's just shy," he said, wondering what exactly was eating her.

Never turn your back on family. If I had remembered that maybe mine would still be alive, Jess thought to herself but said nothing. Otsoa gave her a look. "Just need to concentrate," she said quickly then she busied herself with checking the various instruments in front of her. They were coming up on their destination soon and part of her was eager to see what kind of ship Damus had set up for them. Another part just wanted to be doing anything just to have something else to focus on...
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Ty looked to Valexia, "It's clear to me you don't understand how we roll." He breathed in, he could feel the intensity of Mae's thoughts on the subject.

Mae chimed in, though to his thoughts only. You said you could bring peace, this is when you prove it.

"Valexia," Ty said, calming his voice with the help of Mae's emotional strength, "I am not trying to single you out. There are a few who are either new to the squadron or have been away awhile."

Ty looked up to Kraven, and gestured towards him with his right hand.

"Yes?" Kraven responded.

"It's been a long time since you flew with the Green. But I know, as sure as I am that Mae is my sister, that you would never leave me in a fight."

Kraven nodded and smiled back to Ty.

Ty looked over to Vaylen, "And I have never butted heads so much with an individual, and still was confident that if a Tie was on my back, I still had nothing to worry about."

Ty walked the few steps over to Valexia and got on one knee. He held Juniper towards her, and she took hold of the blaster rifle.

"Valexia, there are people who might turn away during battle." He gestured for Valexia to examine the rifle.

"But pay attention to the detail. She is a thing of beauty. Though my mother showed me how to shoot her, it was Damien who improved the scope. Otsoa showed me that I can rely on more than my twin as a spotter. And To'ran took control of Juniper during a battle after I had been hit in the arm with a blaster bolt."

Valexia had been examining Juniper close. She then handed it back to Ty.

"This blaster rifle is a small representation of our unit. We work together, learn together, fight together. And when we face enemies that appear to outnumber us, we face this enemy together."

"Someday you might join the story of Juniper. And when you do, it will be as a Green Squad member. When you stepped on this shuttle, you were joining a group that has never, and will never, turn their back for the sake of self preservation." Ty breathed deeply, still remaining calm with the strength and help of Mae, "Because when push comes to shove... We will also die together."
Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Jaclen sat in silence, listening to everyone. All the speeches sounded nice, but Valexia was right; she didn't know who she could count on in a fight.

Sure, this was Green Squadron, but Jaclen didn't know any of them. She couldn't be sure they would have her back. She'd like to think they all would, but...

If the choice is between saving Vaylen or Jessica, or saving me, what are the odds they'll choose to save me?

She sat back, trying to dispel the thought, but it wouldn't quite let go...
Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

'Well said, little brother," Mae thought, pride and approval warming the words. Ty certainly had the gift of a silver tongue, one that Mae had envied more than once in her lifetime. Eloquence was never a particularly strong suit; she called a spanner a spanner, and never mind the fluff to dress up the term. She felt a twinge of that old envy now, but quickly smothered it as she looked about at her squadron mates. She was herself, nothing more or less; both imperfections and strengths.

"I'll check in Glad to this group," she commented into the next lull, referring to a team-builder exercise the squad had done years ago but had since become a running bit of teasing humor. Glad, sad, mad, fearful... Usually they now referred to it by checking in sad when the snacks ran out.. Or the lomin ale. Or maybe fearful when the latest pod-racing betting ring was uncovered by the superiors.

"Certainly if I'm going to be flying at a 10 on the Republic Military Operational Freedom Scale, there's a comfort that if my butt lands in a swing, all of yours will be in the one next over." Mae looked over at the two new pilots and shrugged her shoulders. "Trust is earned, this is true. But when you choose to wear the Green, you choose to give trust to your teammates and work on earning it for yourself." A dark eyebrow winged up, a sardonic arch. "One team - One Green. If that doesn't suit, no one is holding a blaster to your heads. When we fly, I trust you'll have my six. If that means I end up taking two torpedoes in my exhaust in the end, so be it."
Keep your confessions,
Cause babe, I’m no saint.
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran leaned against the passageway wall between the cockpit and passenger area listening to the heated conversation. He crossed his arms across his broad chest with a small smirk on his lips. This was normal, he thought to himself. The never-ending battle of wills and opinions, which is amplified due to the strong egos that made up the Green Squadron. The new members were trying to assert their justification for being here, while the seasoned veterans were establishing the fact that they were indeed veterans of this hallowed squadron.

But throw a Zeltron into the mix, especially one that is not as gullible as most of the species, and even commands a strong ego, this was indeed shaping up to be an interesting adventure. To'ran had served a tour on Zeltros and had learned much from the species, both on a professional and personal level, and actually had formed a strong resistance to their pheromones and telepathic abilities. To'ran had read Valexia's jacket, and he understood Damus adding her to the group, but this woman would need to be watched by him, and with her pheromones filling the compartment he had to wonder if it was due to that, or other more personal feelings.

He was brought out of his thoughts as the hyperspace exit warning alarm began beeping behind him.

He held up his hands to get everyone's attention. "Alright pipe down you miscreants. Remember what I said earlier about speaking nothing to others aboard ship...at least for the time being. The Admiral and Senator Organa-Solo may have hand-picked a good majority of the crews on the ships, but those Senators that are watching us closely may have placed a mole or two onboard for themselves."

To'ran felt the lurch of the shuttle as it dropped out of Hyperspace, turned his head a gazed out the side viewports. "Green Squadron. Welcome to the Red Dagger Fleet."

Everyone craned their necks, or leaned into a viewport to view their new home, and were immediately struck dumbfounded when they realized that they were at the Orbital Decommission Yards on the far side of one of Bothawui's moons. The place where old Republic and even some Imperial warships go to be decommissioned and dismantled.

Littering the view various ships were in varying stages of dis-assembly. Mon Cal Cruisers, old Republic Star Destroyers, frigates and more dotted the space way before them. Otsoa carefully maneuvered the shuttle through the partially disassembled frame of one Imperial Star Destoryer, while everyone else looked out at the both fascinating and depressing view moving slowly by them. These were ships that took part of the Galactic Civil War that had spearheaded the victories against the Emperor and created the New Republic. Countless pilots, officers and crew members died aboard these ships. They gave their lives for what they believed in, fought for the freedom of evil and tyranny. As they passed through the metal graveyard of the honored ships, To'ran hoped that the message he was sending to the squadron wasn't lost on them.

To'ran glanced over to Jax, and a small smile creased their lips as both of them listened to the sudden silence in the cabin that struck them both at the same time. Getting this squadron to remain this silent was an impossibility, and somewhat eerie from this eclectic group.

Ty was the first to notice that many of the Salvage Tugs were not taking various pieces of the ships towards the Orbital Refinery Platform, where they would be smelted down to their raw materials, but that they were all moving towards a small group of ships that were away from the main yard. Ty's eyes grew larger as he could just make the bright white gleaming triangular shape in the distance.

"Is...is that a Mark II Star Destroyer? I can't quite make it out yet."

To'ran raised a hand to hide the small smile. "No...not quite."

As the group of ships grew closer, and everyone's mouths dropped open increasingly more as the did so, and everyone began to recognize the ship's class, it was Damien that spoke up first.

"Are the tugs the means of propulsion for that?"

"I think my Great, Great Grandpa was on one of those. But that was over 60 kriffing years ago!" Alek retorted.

The dagger-shaped Venator-Class Star Destroyer loomed larger as they closed the distance, its 1,155 meter hull, dotted with off-white colored squares where the hull plating, from the ships that they passed, were in place, or being put in. Several supply and Cargo ships were at a station keeping distance from the hanger bay awaiting authorization to enter as Otsoa began a slow over and around path around the destroyer. They were also able to see two Nebulon-B frigates sitting nearby with the same transport and supply activity going on around them.

Otsoa was the first to ask the question that was on everyone else's mind. "Sir, that destroyer has a substantial crew capacity, I cannot see how the Admiral and Senator Organa-Solo could have found enough sympathic recruits to properly operat..."

"Rest your fins, Fishhead." Jax stopped him. "The Fuzzball isn't senile yet. The Venator's an old ship, and a majority of her systems have been replaced by more modern systems that replace the need for a majority of crew it use to need by about 2/3rd."

"Holy Hells!!" Mae gasped out as she looked out the port. "Is that...is that a Quasar?!"

Rising over the hull on the other side of the Venator, a bright white triangular ship rose above the horizon. Below the triangular hull of the Quasar-Fire Class Carrier, was four open bays, with the viewports of the bridge at the forward tip, the ships base outline was colored in green strips.

"Compliments of the Admiral." To'ran stated with a smile.

"As for your personal ships." To'ran hesitated for a moment and his smile fading, as this was the announcement that he really dreaded the most. "The Admiral's Senatorial Adversary was adamant about not giving up any of the new Advanced X-Wings...'but', being that the Admiral is the Bothan that we all know and love, he did manage to get two for trial testing. You will find a collection of other ships that he hopes that you will appreciate, each of them fully restored to peak efficiency and chosen from all your performance records."

Otsoa gave and received docking clearance to the Venator and maneuvered the ship into the large hanger bay.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Valyn's eyes lingered on Valexia's hooded form for a moment or two longer than was probably necessary. He did not know much about her or her species, but he had heard rumors and stories, and he believed them. She had a powerful presence when she call attention to herself that made her as hard to ignore as she was easy on the eyes. Even for Valyn, who strove for, but did not always achieve, a calm and tranquil core, he could not deny the subconscious allure that the Zeltron held.

He agreed with her, in principle, if not in the emotion that propelled her comments. Words and oaths were easily taken, but were only as meaningful as the actions that backed them up. As soon as he had opened his mouth to speak, however, he shut it again, becoming much more interested in the small firestorm of responses her words incited.

It was nothing hostile per se, but for a moment the air positively crackled with a tension born of uncertainty, nervousness, and competing ideas.

The tension didn't last, however, and as they arrived at their destination, a hush fell over the group.

The Decommission Yards spanned hundreds, if not thousands of kilometers in space, a graveyard to the massive beasts of burden that had carried soldiers to their wars and sometimes to their deaths. The sun of the distant Bothawui star was filtered through a haze of dust from microscopic debris particles caused by years of scraping caught in orbit around the moon like swathes of spilled blood.

Valyn's lips moved in a silent prayer, a rite of passage for the scene that was playing out in front of him, slowly and silently in the cold expanses of space. This was a hallowed place, the final resting place of countless machine-spirits. His eyes drifted from the Mon Calamari cruiser with a badly damaged port side up to the recycling facilities that would eventually gut the ship and melt it back into useable slag. He understood the necessity of it, and acknowledged it as a natural part of the cycle of life, biological and mechanical both, but he couldn't help but feel a small tremor in his stomach at the unceremonious way the corpses of the massive machines were being ripped apart to be salvaged. He knew that his spiritual beliefs were probably not shared by many if any, so he kept his mouth shut.

Necessary or not, it is an unfitting end to machines that gave all in their service to their masters.

He pushed those thoughts aside as To'ran's voice entered his consciousness, explaining their new vehicle arrangements. the news was sad, but not unexpected, given the circumstances. While he was sad to say goodbye to his old craft, he was curious to see what they had procured for him this time around.

Drawing a calming breath he waited for the inevitable bump which would signify they had arrived at their new home.
TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

The shuttle’s arrival at the decommissioning yards had come at a timely moment. Valexia’s outburst had been unexpected, and unwelcome. Alek had been with the squadron long enough to know he could trust his wingmates, yet Valexia’s words tore into that conceit, a reminder that he hadn’t flown with the new members of the squadron and didn’t know them. There was also something else in her words that lingered with him; the content of those softly spoken words was in stark contrast to tone in which they were delivered. There was pain there. Pain and bitterness.

It was all good and well Mae saying that to put on the Green meant giving your trust to your teammates, but Alek knew it was rarely so easy, sentient nature prevented such a thing. She was right however in that trust had to be earned and that went both ways.

Squadrons are forged under fire, the voice of Alek’s father echoed through his mind.

It seemed to him that Green Squadron would need to be re-forged, he just hoped it wouldn't be too brutal a process. As for the newbie’s, he glanced quickly in the direction of each of them, well, he’d judge them by their flying when the time came.

As the shuttle touched down on the hanger deck – a gentle landing, otherwise Otsoa and Jess would never had heard the end of it – excitement replaced wariness. The trip through the decommissioning yards had been surreal, legends and relics from the past come to life, a sad end for the vessels that had weathered the might of Imperials and Separatists

With a hiss of hydraulics the shuttles hatch opened and Alek was the first off, booted feet stepping foot on the ramp before it had even fully descended to the deck. Alek took a deep breath on the way down, the hanger bay smelled of oil, sweat, and recycled air, familiar and comforting smells that had been a part of his life ever since childhood. As he reached the foot of the ramp a towering figure detached itself from the shadow of an old Y-Wing and shambled over to him.

“How did you get here?” he asked, a frown creasing his brow.

The Wookie growled something unintelligible and then smiled displaying his fangs. A moment later the whine of servomotors announced the arrival of his constant companion.

“Master Wrench was somewhat... impatient, after the meeting,” Bugg supplied. “Admiral Damus decided it would be prudent to send us on ahead to survey the craft that have been assigned to you and the rest of Green Squadron.”

“Impatient?” Alek looked up at the Wookie as the rest of the Squadron descended from the shuttle.

“Master Wrench had a small run in with the security forces aboard the Harm’s Way and was on the verge of being charged with three counts of bodily harm, two counts of damage to military property, and one count of cheating at Cards.” Bugg supplied nonchalantly.

“Wroooah, araaaagh, Rooaaarh!”

“Master Wrench would like you to know that he vehemently denies those charges.”

“Oorrah, rrrrr, arrrah!”

“Oh, my mistake,” the crimson droid apologised, “Master Wrench would like you to know that he vehemently denies cheating at cards.”

The Wookie grinned. It was probably one of the most unnerving things Alek had ever seen. “I believe you,” he plastered a fake smile on his own face before changing the subject, “So what’s the verdict on this...”

“Museum!” one of the other pilots supplied as they shouldered past him.

Alek shrugged, it was as good a word as any. The hanger deck was crowded with a variety of craft. He could see the outlines of several of the trusty T-70’s the squadron was familiar with, the two promised T-85’s sparked over on the far side of the flight deck, but mostly the hanger was filled with fighters that were older than Alek was! He could see sleek looking A-Wings, old battered Y-Wings with their formidable looking turrets mounted atop the canopies, and even a couple of original T-65’s, although what really caught his eye was the mamouth fighter sitting in the centre of the hanger bay.

“Is that a...”

“Slayn and Korpil A/SF-01 B Wing Starfighter,” Bugg interrupted, “Why yes it is! This particular model has a long and distinguished history with the New Republic. Manufactured a year prior to the battle of Jakku...”

Alek didn’t hear him; he’d already darted past the droid and was threading his way in-between the other ships making his way towards the big starfighter. The B-Wing rested horizontally, her twin S-Foils flat against the top and bottom of her hull; at over sixteen meters long she dwarfed every other fighter in the hanger. Alek walked her length, from the pair of fire linked laser canons at one end to the gyroscopic cockpit at the other.

I think I’m in love.

“...of course the B-Wing is notoriously difficult to fly,” Bugg’s voice intruded and it was only then Alek realised the droid had been following him, “ and only the most talented pilots ever qualified on them.”

“Hey,” Alek turned and flashed the droid a smile, “I’m a Pamarthen. Piece of cake.” And besides, Dad was qualified on the B-Wing, my family honour is at stake.

“That may be so Master Riven, but that does automatically guarantee your successful mastery of this fighter craft.”

“We’ll see,” Alek muttered distractedly tuning back to the B-Wing. “How about you go see how the rest of the squadron is getting on while me and Betsy get to know one another.”

“Betsy?” the droid queried, sounding slightly alarmed, but Alek was no longer listening. “Oh dear...”
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

To'ran moved about halfway down the ramp, and before Alek got too far out of earshot, he spoke to those inside and outside the shuttle.

"Today, you all will spend the day and night aboard The Dagger's Edge so you all can pick your fighters. Wrench has already started prepping and servicing the fighters, so expect lots of fur in your cockpits...it think its shedding season for the furballs." He smirked over towards the Wookie.

"So stow your flight gear with your ships, and the rest of your personal effects will be shipped over to the Quasar, which...by the way...as 'not' been given a designation yet. The Admiral knew of you goat-rider's penchant for voting, so he is leaving that up to you all."

He looked down at his datapad, that was handed to him by a Ensign that was waiting at the ramp. "Our first mission briefing will be at 0800 tomorrow morning. After that, you all will take your fighters over to your new home and get settled in."