Reboot: Wikia

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Canon/Legends: Banner or Template?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Banner
33%
Template
67%

Total votes: 3

The Adminerator

Re: Reboot: Wikia

Post by Jagtai »

Ah, found it :)

Now we just need a Spiral of Worlds banner :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Wookieepedia identifies canon articles as such.

Admittedly, I forgot to test this, but we should be able to force the icon on the page simply by adding |canon or |legends to it. I'm not sure what syntax Wookieepedia uses to distinguish the articles automatically, besides those that exist in both, and at this point, if it works, then I don't much care, either. :oldrazz:
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I tested it for you, the canon logo works. Not sure about the |canon/|legends thing but this is the code I used; {{Template:Eras|type=legends}}
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

You're right, that's how it's supposed to work. My bad.

Use the following for the articles that exist strictly in either continuity:

{{Eras|type=canon}}
{{Eras|type=legends}}

I have tested both (after failing with incorrectly remembering how to use the template :oops: ), and they both work. Also, the other icons should be independent of canon/legends. I did limited testing on that and it seems to be the case.

I'm not too huge on pushing for this to happen immediately, just as you get to it.
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

On Wook, anything not marked as Legends is Canon. For us, anything not marked simply doesn't show a banner. If you have both pages, it can figure it out, but for single pages, you have to mark type=legends or type=canon. (Technically, if you only have one page, but you name it /Canon or /Legends, it knows what to do. If you have one page with /Canon and the other without, it knows to mark the other as Legends--and vice versa. Otherwise, you need to put type= for it to know which to use.)

If you put type=anything else, you'll generate an error. If you put legends or canon without type=, nothing happens. If you try to be smart and put {{Eras|type=legends|type=canon}} or {{Eras|type=canon|type=legends}}, whichever one you put second is used.

As far as the code is concerned, all other icons should be rendered independently. The only ones that are mutually exclusive are Canon and Legends, and they're only exclusive to each other.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Thanks, Arch. :)

We thought about following Wook's example with ours, but considering we can use the affiliation icons in both, it simply made more sense to tell our code to be hand-held with the icons, than think for itself, as Wook has theirs set up. In terms of both choosing and use, it seemed to make the most sense to approach this with as much manual input in mind as possible. It may seem a pain, but consider the alternative. We would otherwise have to duplicate all our affiliation icons as applicable and use different names for different icons. About the only other thing I suppose we could do is tell it to default as canon unless otherwise overwritten as legends, as explained above, but unlike Wook's purposes, neither of our continuities (and correct me if I'm wrong, here) are meant to be our "default."