Reboot: Determining Our Canon

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Gonzo Bodhisattva

Re: Reboot: Determining Our Canon

Post by xfiend1013 »

I would just like to say that I feel we're on the right track.

People read stuff.
If you don't like what you're reading, bring it to the SC.
If the SC and the poster can't work out a deal (and the mods can be a secondary on this if they want)
Then it goes to a vote.
And the mods handle the results.

That lets the aforementioned "minimum threshold" that Jag brought up develop organically. I think the boards as a whole have moved away from "I have this whole section of space, this is what goes on there." I could be wrong. I don't read every thread. But if you're doing a whole "I'm an officer in the First Order and I have a Star Destroyer" probably, people aren't gonna mind, while "I stole a star destroyer!" is gonna be different. This lets us do things without getting bogged down until the issues have arisen.

The limited space of the "new canon" is going to be a good thing, I think. Less clutter, less immersion-cracking "whatever happened to that story thread?"

The threshold is going to be different for different types of stories. A flashback to a mon cal cruiser being destroyed by Death Star 2, and your old war buddies dying in it, that technically involves stuff that's verboten, but I don't think anyone's going to complain. If they do, we then have a way to handle the issue.

Self-policing works as long as the people involved in enforcing it are fair, and I'm sure they'll do a good job. The mods can do it too.

I think a better approach than limiting potential problems would be to put up a list like "these are the things our galaxy NEEDS at the moment." Go positive instead of negative and generally trust people to not be awful, and trust our ability to boot out the ones that are if we need to. We're NOT a big organization that needs and can enforce a lot of rules. We need speed, flexibility, and above all, to attract new people.
Like what I write? I can fix that. Visit my website.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

Just a thought, nothing we can do at the moment:

When Episode VIII comes out, we're going to be contradicting canon in a dozen ways.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Only a dozen? Wow, we'll be doing pretty dang good. :mrgreen:
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Under that paradigm, there's still no reason to have a Story Coordinator. The mods can handle all of that themselves.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

We can avoid a lot more if people at least approached the SC first for major stuff. Better that way then to potentially let someone get six pages into their thread about their totally awesome Suncrusher. (Let's face it, we're not always going to catch these things early.)
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Post by Nichalus »

I'm going to throw my last thoughts in here.

First I have 'always' been a what the majority wants, then that is what it is. I then enforce that per the wishes of the members. If at any time, any of you think that I am abusing my power, which is really much to strong a word for it, or dictating things. You all have the right to ask me to step down, and I will do so in a heartbeat. No vote will be necessary.

But, no matter what color my name is, I am still a active member of this site, and I have the same rights as you all to voice my opinion on subjects here on this board. My opinions on the reboot are 'my' opinions, not as a Moderator, but as a member.

Now, as for X's thoughts. We are agreed that members should be able to write the stories the way they wish to...to an certain degree. I'm even for letting various EU worlds, EU equipment, EU techniques, etc... be brought in...to a certain degree. But, and we all know that this 'will' happen eventually, someone, under X's opinion, will do something that will rankle the opinion of another. It is these very things that started the massive Flame Wars all the way back to the Sony days and the beginnings of this very site.

Now, before someone says 'Stop living in the past', or 'Those days are over'. I wish and hope that you are correct. But I believe that we must have a 'minimum' of control of the MBT, to prevent the past from rearing its head again. Now before those of you reading this roll your eyes and stop reading...if you haven't already...hear me out.

X's opinion is "Fixing the barn door AFTER the horses have already escaped." i.e. A member takes the time to write a long post about pulling a SSD out of their nether regions and blowing up and taking over a major system, and he is using a Dark Jedi Master that executes the leaders of said world and then pulls that world out of the Republic." Yes...its a extreme example, but it 'could' happen.

((Pryngles posted a shorted condensed version before I finished mine, but it sums up my long post about the SC pretty much to a tee.))

Now, lets go further. Like X said, he doesn't read all the stories on the board, and really I don't do so myself. Let's say the poster continues his story for a few weeks, and 'then' someone looks at it and freaks out. Well, we know where that will go. Now, with that example there, well, we have to open a 'discussion' thread and the poster will defend said story with their thoughts, and the objector will state their thoughts, and pretty soon feelers get hurt, warning are issued, blood rains down from the clouds, fire and brimstone erupt from the earth...well, you get the idea.

All this could have been avoided if the poster would have just hummed a few bars, not the whole song and dance, of his idea to the SC, who would have immediately said 'woah, lets look at this, and find a different path, while still allowing you to do what you were after. Well, compromises are laid out, agreements are to be had, the Sun rises and shines its glorious rays on the world, and the flowers bloom in pretty colors.

Now, most of us are fairly good at using Common Sense...except Jag after a nights raid of some peasant village...and if a member knows...KNOWS...that they are creating a story that will not drastically alter our little piece of Star Wars Universe, then no...they don't have to consult the SC. Write your story and be well. But...BUT, if you 'think' that there might be something that you 'think' someone might have an issue with...its probably best to ask the SC about it, just to be sure. I mean why take the time and creativity to write a long ass post if someone is going to get their toes all curled up about something. If the SC says its fine, then its fine. If someone complains 'after' that, well tough titties toenails, its been okie dokied. If the SC and you can't come to a agreement, THEN the Moderators get involved. But compromises can 'always' been made in the name of good common sense and cool heads. I personally don't think that it would ever get to the point of the Moderators getting involved.

But if I've said it once, I've said it thousand times. The MBT is the ONLY forum where there needs to be 'some' control over the content, by the very nature that it is the ONLY Collaborative Story Forum on this sight. If you want to take over the Galaxy, Control vast armadas of SSDs, Death Stars, destroy Coruscant, etc.. The Story forum is for you. No rules or worries about stepping on any other members toes there.

So there, my thoughts are out there, and I hope they are clear.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

It's a solid point, Nich. I was aiming for a "least possible amount of rules" situation. I think that by having something simple like "The Story Coordinator is Here for A Reason" stickied or making sure we mention that "please bring it up to them" idea in our various board manifestos, we'd strike a nice balance where only people who WERE trying to sneak something in would catch hell, while honest mistakes would get weeded out, and people who had a question would ask it.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Compromise is good, now can we amend this to the proposal and get to voting already? :P

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Nichalus wrote:well tough titties toenails, its been okie dokied.
I had to reboot my brain at this point, but other than that, I find those points eminently practical and on point.

It occurred to me that we might also avoid some of the extended arguing if we make a rule that there is no statute of limitations on violating the rules. That way, the argument, "I've been doing this for a day/week/month/year and no one stopped me!" doesn't hold water, for the very legitimate reason that the Fuzz can't read everything all the time, because they're people, too.

Post by Nichalus »

Archangel wrote:
Nichalus wrote:well tough titties toenails, its been okie dokied.
I had to reboot my brain at this point, but other than that, I find those points eminently practical and on point.

It occurred to me that we might also avoid some of the extended arguing if we make a rule that there is no statute of limitations on violating the rules. That way, the argument, "I've been doing this for a day/week/month/year and no one stopped me!" doesn't hold water, for the very legitimate reason that the Fuzz can't read everything all the time, because they're people, too.
That is a good point, and will be amended into the Proposal along with the rest by tomorrow evening, if not sooner, for everyone to have give a aye or nay for.

Post by Nichalus »

Amended Proposal is up. Please have a look to see if I missed anything.

Post by Red Dragon »

i don't know if this was asked or determined before but what are we going to say the state of the galaxy is? We know the NR maintained at least one large fleet to protect the capital of the week, but do we know if they maintained smaller fleets and/or strike forces to help maintain peace? Also how turbulant is/was the galaxy during the years leading up to FA? Is pirating at an all time high? At there localized wars between planets or maybe simply wars going on on planets do to the shift in galactic power? Is smuggling at an all time high? Is the NR effective at keep these things in check or is it a fact that it isn't effective at all and thats the biggest reason for the FO to do what it plans on doing?
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

I think we have to take a punt on deciding this ourselves, Red. As far as I can tell there's nothing out there in Disney canon to really answer that.

Logic dictates that the NR would at least have kept some smaller fleets, at least in my mind. And since General Hux says that the Republic acquiescence to disorder, you could take it to mean that there are small wars going on, smuggling and Piracy.

Ultimately I think if people do concentrate on smaller stories then by the time we're working up to more epic threads there should be more world building done by Disney to support that.
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

This is all just pure speculation but yes, I imagine there are lots of small little wars happening. I can't find any confirmation on whether there are still pockets of the Empire left in this new galaxy, but what I did find seems to imply that some time after signing the treaty with the Republic the entire Imperial fleet fled to the unknown regions to hide from the Republic. I know the Republic went through a disarmament after the treaty so they wouldn't have continued their war with the Empire, so whatever was left of Imperial space is either left uncontrolled or without too much oversight. So there are probably lots of independent systems that used to be Imperial that are probably struggling for control (over themselves first and then probably over whatever systems are nearby), but like I said this is all purely speculation as I really don't know.

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Also, according to wikia, the Republic cut their military by 90%, apparently, but 10% of a million ships is still a lot. I don't imagine they have that many but the fleet above Hosnian Prime couldn't possibly be everything that's left.

Post by Nichalus »

Proposal Vote is UP.

Post by Red Dragon »

Yeah but unless the NR did one hell of a build up of forces in its first year it mostly relied on the surviving ships from Endor, They didn't have many ships to begin with and now they get rid of 90% of their already limited forces... I might just say the only fleet the NR had was the "large" fleet over the NR capital.

So if all of this is true then yeah I'd say the NR is very ineffective at keeping peace, the galaxy is very turbulant as many factions and "minor" governments build up their own militarizes... Which brings another thing to mind, some of you say that if we created out own governments that they can't match let alone surpass the NR and FO in military, but from the evidence we are given, the NR has little to no military, the FO has been massing forces for over 30 years and the galaxy is more then likely a mess.

Not that i planned on making a government this time around, though i still may use some elements from the Systems alliance with what I'm planning...

Except for the star killer and the FO wiping out a whole system worth of planets and people, the FO might be right about the NR, and could have been the good guys...
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

They must have had a fairly large fleet to be able to take on the Empire over Jakku. Jakku was their largest engagement yet and the Republic came out on top of that. They couldn't do that with the small fleet they had after Endor.

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Here, let's put it this way. The war carried on for two years after Endor. Remember, the Emperor died but the Empire still had a very large fleet. I can't say with 100% certainty how many ships the Republic was able to mobilize in that time, but with the Emperor gone there were probably more than a few worlds willing to jump ship. The books may offer some answers to this but what I do know is that the Battle of Jakku happened about two years after Endor and was the last big base the Empire had. Jakku also probably marks the last battle of the war since the Galactic Concordance was signed shortly after. That gives the Republic about two years to mobilize their forces into a larger fleet and we saw what the U.S. was able to do with just one year of mobilization just before entering World War II. Basically, there's really no telling how large the fleet was before the Republic demilitarized... >.>

Post by Red Dragon »

I'd normally agree but there is literally no mention of the NR building up its military post Endor. Hell it even says that mon mothma wanted to demilitarize her alliance as soon as she could, so why would she allow a build up in the first place? The only way this starts to make sense to me is in the Empire really got screwed over Endor, and up till the point they got their shit together the remains of the alliance fleet did a hell of a job thinning out the scattered imp forces to the point where even at the Battle of Jakku, when the empire finally got its shit together?, was reduced to a point where even the post Endor alliance fleet could easily take it. That's taking into account that the alliance fleet, now NR Fleet, was much better equipped, repaired and possibly gaining a few ships loaned to them by new allies and some captured from the empire.

So how many ships would that really leave the NR? ATM I can't find a Cannon number and type of ships the Alliance had at Endor or really the full extent of their losses save for the Liberty and, from what we saw in the movie, a mon cal cruiser that looked like Home One. Are we talking like maybe only tens of ships that are actually under the NR banner? I mean maybe the fleet is supplemented by local government military at Hosnian system... It does say the NR helped local systems to build up their militaries but that seems counter to what mon mothma wanted...

From what i read Pryde, Jakku was only a year after Endor, The concordance was signed mid battle and literally after the battle mon mothma pushed through the disarmament....
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

For the love of... I frequent 3 or 4 different sites for Star Wars news and at least two of those confirmed 2 years after Endor for the Battle of Jakku... ><

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Wookieepedia pretty much lines up with what Red Dragon is saying, although there is some discrepancy among the articles (one says disarmament was passed after Jakku and the Galactic Concordance, another only a few months after Endor; one spot implies no treaty was signed for a month after Jakku, another that it was mid-battle). But they're consistent that Jakku was one year and four days after Endor.

Post by Red Dragon »

Yeah i noticed those discrepancies too, but the main point i guess i'm trying to get at is, what is the state of our galaxy? How big even is the NR fleet at this point?

If we are going full blown Disney Cannon to start with then evidence says nothing about the state of the Galaxy, though if the FO is to be believed then the Galaxy is in chaos. The NR fleet can only really be literally a hand full of capital ships and maybe just a shit ton,( Just a shit ton, not shit tons) of Fighters... And Again from the evidence we are given those capital ships are still likely only Alliance era ships. MC-80s, cr-90s... We can maybe say they have been at least beefed up from upgrade maybe, but the only clue to the NR developing new ships and using them are X-wings, and maybe ( and this is a very big maybe) B-wings, as the Resistance "transports" are built out of/from B-wing Mk IIs. But B-wings are heavy Assault fighters, developing and using them would go against what the NR is attempting and goes against what Mon Mothma intends.

Playing NR in this time line as it is is pain incarnate, No new shiny ships like the Nebula Star destroyers or hell maybe even the MC-80Bs and mc-90s. Just the old busted M-80s and MC-80As... Likely only X-wings for fighters (though thats not too bad... But very limiting still...)

Then we have the FO which is said to be "smaller" then what the Empire was BUT is highly advanced now. Switching from quantity to quality. But from the evidence we are given, in that the FO has been building up its forces, and the NR has diminished it's forces to presumably only tens of ships... We can assume with fair accuracy that the FO military greatly outnumbers the NR Military anyway. Its even been said that that spiffy New Destroyer we saw in TFA isn't even the biggest in FO's fleet, and that sucker is over 2km long, not to mention its sheer volume.

Going back to the state of the galaxy, It was ruled with an iron fist for years, and poof now they aren't. The cat was put to death and in its place is a kitten that mostly wants to nap rather then go mousing, so of course the mice are gonig to play right? ... damn it... whats the state of our new galaxy?! dose the NR give two holy shits? is their war? Are the hutts on the rise? Do the hutts even care? Is pirates a huge problem? This was so much easier when we had years and years worth of books, games and other mediums that gave us the setting of the galaxy... Disney has A LOT it needs to fill in or WE need to fill in for this all to make any real sense... we have about 30 years of NOTHING to work with and I'm kinda wondering why this doesn't bother anyone else... or why it wasn't brought up before and/or looked into deeper for our reboot...
--Serenity
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

Yup, the current Disney canon leaves a lot of gaps which frustrate the hell out of me. I think Disney perhaps assumed all we really care about is 'Jedi stuff' but what I loved most was the rest of the galaxy.

I actively dislike how quickly the Rebels seem to have defeated the Empire. It reeks of poorly thoughtout world building in an attempt to get us to the point they want to be at (30 years post Endor) as quickly as possible. As such it comes very near to breaching my suspension of disbelief threshold.
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

I think you are overlooking the Resistance. The NR may not have much of a fleet, but the Resistance can contend with the FO, so they must have something besides X-Wings, right?

Besides, a squadron of X-Wings can take out a Star Destroyer, so who needs massive amounts of ships. The use of the ISD was always as much about terror as it was about practicality.

EDIT: Apart from that, I agree. It seemed poorly thought out. But hey, blame J. J. Abrams. It was his script.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

That's a lot of assumptions, Red. First of all you're not even taking into account the possibility of Imperial worlds jumping ship to the Republic. Some of those worlds may even have ships. Or the possibility of several ships and/or fleets defecting to the Republic. We've seen defectors before so not all Imperials were truly loyal to the cause. Lastly, if we're looking purely at the wikia the casualties for the Republic side of the engagement lists "many" MC-80s, "many" frigates, "many" corvettes. Now I don't know about you but just looking at the Rebel fleet from Return of the Jedi it sure doesn't look like they have "many" of anything. Just because they don't want to militarize doesn't necessarily mean they didn't or that they intended to. If half the enemy's military wants to jump ship and fight for you what are you going to say? No?

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Probably not canon but probably not entirely irrelevant, either. If this is a fair representation of the scale of this battle then I think that suggests at least some buildup of forces. For comparison, the Rebels appear to have a much larger fleet at Jakku. Either way, we won't know for sure until Lucasfilm fills us in but there are a few things we can infer from the Force Awakens. One, yes the galaxy is in turmoil but maybe not quite to the scale you think. There must still be pockets of order out there but the galaxy's a big place and the NR fleet is smaller now so they can't be everywhere. Two, the NR does not believe the First Order is a credible threat. Obviously some part of the NR is helping the Resistance, Hux says as much, but the general consensus seems to be that Leia is a warmonger. Three, all rising Jedi must come from desert worlds. If you ain't from a desert world then you ain't no Jedi.

In all seriousness, though, let's try not to be so narrow in filling in the gaps. If those gaps even need to be filled. Personally, I don't really think the 28 year gap is really a problem. The story ideas I'm planning to run with are so small scale it doesn't really matter how much I know about what happened over the last thirty years.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Red Dragon wrote:We can assume with fair accuracy that the FO military greatly outnumbers the NR Military anyway.
No.

"While the Republic Starfleet still remained the largest fleet in the galaxy at the onset of the First Order–Resistance conflict, it was still a fraction of the size of the Old Republic's Navy during the Clone Wars.[6]"

Therefore no matter how large the First Order military is, the New Republic Starfleet will always be larger. Edit: Theoretically you could argue ground forces, but that wouldn't be a strong argument.

You are easily correct about the classes of ships that the New Republic Starfleet has. I have no doubt that we will find a way to include, at a minimum the MC-90. But newer or shiny isn't always better. I'd rather have a 1911 than the Beretta 9mm I have to use, and I'd rather have the 1911 than whatever new or shiny nonsense the Army wants to go with next. (Not that I care, I'm out in less than 80 days).

As for your state of the galaxy question, the answer can easily be found and pieced together from various wookieepedia articles.

As for Jag's remark about a squadron of X-Wings taking out a Star Destroyer, I will always contest that remark. Maybe an ISD with six squadrons of unshielded TIE/ln, because good X-Wing pilots should be able to shred them, and trench run the ISD until it's done for. But a full wing of TIE Defenders beats one squadron of X-wings every day of the week, before the ISD even has to get involved, to me. It's a highly subjective remark (And yes, I know it says it somewhere in Legends material).

Do consider that if that was the case, Wedge would have knocked out almost the entirety of Ysanne Isard's forces in the Bacta War within the first two or three months, as she refused to send the Lusankya anywhere for quite some time. Rogue Squadron conducted hit and runs designed to destroy a few TIE/ln and Interceptors more than anything to increase military budget spending on Isard's side. That's why they were pretty thrilled when not only did they get that old Alderaanian War Frigate, but the Avarice defected to their side.
Last edited by Mir on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
#Valkob4Life
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

[quote=""Mir"]As for Jag's remark about a squadron of X-Wings taking out a Star Destroyer, I will always contest that remark. Maybe an ISD with six squadrons of unshielded TIE/ln, because good X-Wing pilots should be able to shred them, and trench run the ISD until it's done for. But a full wing of TIE Defenders beats one squadron of X-wings every day of the week, before the ISD even has to get involved, to me. It's a highly subjective remark (And yes, I know it says it somewhere in Legends material). [/quote]

I was talking about an ISD without ANY fighter support against a full squadron of X-Wings. In that case, the ISD should be done for. That said, skill (and luck) will always make a difference.

I am not arguing that a TIE Defender beats an X-Wing. Just that a squadron of X-Wings beats an ISD.

EDIT: And if you need a wing of Defenders to beat a squadron of X-Wings, you've already lost :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins

My characters
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I see what you're saying.

Yes, I concur with your stipulated assessment.

Edit: Absolutely, I simply never consider a capital ship that can carry starfighters to be without starfighters, obviously under optimal conditions. I was taking your statement to an extreme to express disagreement.
#Valkob4Life

Post by Red Dragon »

yeah i guess, hope Disney gets off their asses and start filling in the blanks soon though, and with more thought out story telling.

Also wanted to point out that it seems the Resistance only had X-wings, at the battle of Star killer Ack bar even says that they nearly lost their entire fleet. Unless he mearly meant their entire fleet that was there... but again the resistance knows they needed to throw everything they had at that thing soo why hold back anything?
--Serenity
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Time constraints.
#Valkob4Life
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Incidentally, a similar statement was made with the Battle of Yavin. (I think in expanded lore.) However, the EU pointed out that the Rebellion's whole fleet did not consist of a mere handful of snubfighters.

My guess is, he was referring to the fleet present, and not every single ship in the galaxy at their disposal worth something in a fight.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Well, probably the largest fleet before Hosnian Prime. The First Order pretty much evened the odds with that. Which begs the question, do we create a similar event or let the First Order build up more to present a credible threat?

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Mir votes Mirpocalypse strikes the New Republic fleet.

It's like a Sharknado, but with Mir.
#Valkob4Life
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

No Mirnados, please. We have enough problems with the lone Mir we have already.

My characters
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

You should be so lucky.
#Valkob4Life

Post by Nichalus »

Being that I live in Tornado Alley...which we're due for some tomorrow...A Mirnado is more like a fart trapped inside a windsock.

Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

That perfectly described Mir, in general, actually. :mrgreen:
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Mirpocalypse people. I said it's like a Sharknado.

And you people consider yourselves writers.
#Valkob4Life