Shadows of War

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

User avatar
RileyKenobi
Supergirl
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: Hogwarts
Contact:

Post by RileyKenobi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:14 pm

Kale raised his eyebrows at Talthain's response, both defensive and threatening. Kale kept his scimitar out but lowered it slightly. He gazed back over Talthain's shoulder at female figure aiming at Luka's position.

"Your garb and your weapons are deceiving," Kale replied, though there was no apology in his voice. "Though I do wonder why you feel the need to sneak up on us, as we have made no advances towards your position or, indeed, shown any sort of aggression towards you at all."

Luka stepped out from the foliage a few yards away, her bow aimed at the woman; an arrow for an arrow.

"My brother is right," she said calmly. "We have done nothing but observe, and you come to us with weapons raised. What business have you?"
Stop blowing holes in my ship!

User avatar
Jagtai
The Adminerator
Posts: 9759
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:33 am
Location: The Old World
Contact:

Post by Jagtai » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 am

Talthain studied Kale for a moment, then nodded.

"You are right."

He sheathed his weapons, motioning to Talia to do the same, and said:

"We are rightly suspicious. The Tyrsians are hunting our leader. How were we to know of your intentions?"

Xanamiar
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 3:14 pm

Post by Xanamiar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:41 am

Talia retracted the arrow and allowed it to drop to the ground, flinging her bow over her shoulder. Then looked at the other woman with her bow and arrow.

"So, are you going to lower your weapons also?"

User avatar
RileyKenobi
Supergirl
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: Hogwarts
Contact:

Post by RileyKenobi » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:20 pm

"As you wish," Luka replied. She let the string slack and returned the arrow to the quiver. She looked between the woman and the man who called himself Talthain. "Our intentions are to observe. We roam; we have no home. We do not attack innocent villagers but we do not always rush to their aid. Shall you judge us for that?"

Luka's pale blue eyes were affixed upon the woman as she spoke. Kale sheathed his scimitar and sighed, crossing his arms in a defensive motion.

"My name is Kale, this is my sister, Luka," he said. "She speaks the truth. We observe. Occasionally we step in. It depends on the situation. It also depends on who is involved. Your leader...is she not called Arilyn?"
Stop blowing holes in my ship!

Xanamiar
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 3:14 pm

Post by Xanamiar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Talia affixed her dark brown eyes on the woman as she put away her arrow and explained their stance.

"Your leader... is she not called Arilyn?" Kale asked Talthain. Talia didn't take her eyes off the other woman as she answered. "It is, why do you ask?"

User avatar
Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: Northeast PA

Post by Topgun220 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Sam walked over to the pair without much fear of being attacked. They didn't seem the 'type' to start a fight, they did look well skilled though. Definately were not pushovers. Sam smiled at them as he came to a stop beside Talthain, the much larger and heavily armoured man dwarfed him but still Sam did his best to look intimidating. His well built arms were uncovered by his cloak so he flexed them. He looked rather ridiculous, but that was the point...to be as contrasting as possible to Talthain, simply to annoy him.
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
but awesome at the same time
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts

User avatar
Pryde
Pryngles
Posts: 16795
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 2:11 am
Location: Earth

Post by Pryde » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 pm

"Grayson," Arilyn said weakly, trying in vain to lift herself into a sitting positon.

"Arilyn don't," Grayson said, urging her back into bed, but Arilyn stubbornly refused.

"I felt it," she told him, "Something bad has happened. We need to go now."

Grayson looked at her and shook his head. "No, you're not ready to ride yet, you need rest."

Arilyn lowered herself to the floor and stumbled over to the door on uncertain legs. "That doesn't matter now, find the others we have to go."

"Arilyn--" Grayson started to say, but she cut him off with a stern look.

"Grayson, just do it!"

He stared at her helplessly then nodded and rushed out of the house to get the others. Arilyn looked back at the villager who kindly offered the bed to her. "Help me," she asked him and the villager moved over to take one of her arms.

"You shouldn't be moving around," he told her as he helped her outside and onto her horse.

Arilyn gently rested a hand on his shoulder. "I thank you for your concern, but I have no choice. I'm worried about the others."

"Others, madame?" the villager asked with a confused look on his face.

"The ones we left behind," she explained, "Your village should be fine, now. Thank you for your hospitality."

Meanwhile, Grayson emerged from the trees right behind Talthain as he and the others were waiting for a response from the strangers. Before either of them could respond he looked at Talthain and said, "Arilyn had a premonition, it's time to go. Get to your horses."
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Xanamiar
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 3:14 pm

Post by Xanamiar » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Talia nodded at the request, shrugged at the two who were now puzzled, she shrugged, put her fingers to her lips and blew out a strong whistle. The Jet Black Mustang road up to the edge of the clearing Talia darted out and saddled up and waited for Arilyn to give the signal to move out.

User avatar
Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: Northeast PA

Post by Topgun220 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:57 pm

Annoying Talthain would have to wait, Samuel turned and ran over to Jeffery. The horse was floating about nibbling on the grass as Sam came over and hopped on. A single kick started the horse in motion, the horse although mostly as laid back as its rider could feel the tension in the air. Sam stopped his horse near Arilyn. He saw her evident distress.

"Do ye need help me lady?" He asked preparing to descend from his horse to help her.


OOC: Feel free to GM Sam a bit if you need to Pryde to move things faster.
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
but awesome at the same time
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts

User avatar
RileyKenobi
Supergirl
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: Hogwarts
Contact:

Post by RileyKenobi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:18 pm

Luka started; the man had come into the clearing without so much as a breath. Kale frowned and looked between the newcomer and his sister. He had had enough surprises for one day.

"Arilyn had a premonition, it's time to go. Get to your horses."

The twins perked at the sound of the name. Both were intrigued by Arilyn's campaign and willing to help, but not with any ragtag group. They were only interested in directly helping Arilyn herself. The twins exchanged a look and made a silent decision. As the others that had come into the clearing went to their horses, the twins swung themselves onto their steeds and emerged from the forest edge. There was a small outcry of surprise from the villagers that had come out of their homes but the twins rode past the villagers, unphased. The twins watched from a short distance away, Luka peering interestedly at Arilyn's white-blonde hair and Kale watching the rest of the group rather warily. Arilyn looked quite put-out; her skin looked clammy and gray-tinted, and she stood slightly slouched. Obviously the twins had missed whatever deed she had performed earlier on in the scuffle. Now they waited and watched as one of Arilyn's many companions addressed her. Luka's horse shifted and she patted his broad neck, winding her fingers into the animal's mane gently, watching silently.
Stop blowing holes in my ship!

User avatar
Pryde
Pryngles
Posts: 16795
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 2:11 am
Location: Earth

Post by Pryde » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Arilyn smiled at Sam and shook her head. "I'll be alright, Sam, thank you for your concern."

She turned around as Grayson and the others rode up behind her. She opened her mouth to say something to Gray when her eyes were drawn to something else. Two strangers, twins by the look of them, rode out of the forest towards them. They made sure to stay a respectful distance away and watched silently. Arilyn eyed them carefully, a sister and a brother much like Grayson and herself, though Grayson and Arilyn looked nothing alike.

"I wish we were meeting under better circumstances," she said to them by way of greeting, "but I'm afraid our time is short. If your intentions are honorable you may follow us if you wish."

"Arilyn," Grayson said, riding up beside her, "We know nothing about them. Is it wise to let them follow us?"

Arilyn tried to turn and look at him but her exhaustion prevented her eyes from meeting his own. "Grayson, we need all the allies we can get."

Then she turned to the others and said, "Let's go."

She kicked her horse into a trot trying her best to stay upright in the saddle. Grayson rode nearby ready to offer her aid should she need it while the others fell into line behind them.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

User avatar
Pryde
Pryngles
Posts: 16795
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 2:11 am
Location: Earth

Post by Pryde » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:17 am

Half a day's ride out from the village Arilyn began teetering in her saddle. The horse, sensing something was wrong with its master, slowed to a trot and finally came to a stop. Before anyone could react the young girl slid out of the saddle and hit the ground with an audible thump.

"Arilyn!" Grayson shouted, leaping off his horse before it had even come to a stop. He raced over to her and lifted her into his arms. "Damn it, I knew you were pushing yourself too hard."

Arilyn couldn't say anything, her body was too exhausted to put her thoughts into words. Her eyes rolled back and she eventually succumbed to sleep. Helpless Grayson looked at the others and shrugged.

"Get a fire going," he said, "We'll set camp here for the night."

He glanced around at the prairie surrounding them, finding good kindling would not be a problem but fuel for the fire might prove difficult. It could be a cold night tonight.

He glanced over at the twins who had followed them from the village but had barely spoken a word to anyone. "Tell me," he asked them, "what's your insterest in my sister?"
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Post Reply