The Girl and the Dragon

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Votrex and Gurt shuddered slightly, Votrex squinting at Gurt, 'Did he just say Azhtnn? The Lord of the Pit? What are they saying!?'

Gurt began pacing slowly, his head bowed stroking his beard,'Yes, he has named the one who shall not be named... As the driving force behind the attack on the village... Hmmm, grave news indeed if it's true - I wonder whether we should try to send a message to the crag - it's important news surely...'

Votrex frowned,'We can't go back! They need our help, besides it's at least eight days trek back to Grvvti, and eight days back! And what would he do? Break off the war with the Skrvvti and abandon what remains of our domain to become over-run? We can't risk that - we have to put our trust in the overlanders to sort it out and help where we can... We can't send a message to the Crag though...'

Gurt scowled, looking torn and perplexed, '*Sigh* Maybe you're right... I don't know though... Could the dwarves live over-land again? Could we re-take the mines? I don't think it would be easy, Canker Claw is growing in power and we are having to make greater efforts simply to hold ground and minimise casualties... Withdrawing now would mean certain defeat....'

Gurt looked up at the troubled faces above him, then shrugged softly, "It's true we know of him dwarves tend to refer to him as the Lord of the Pit... Saying his name enough times is said to condemn your soul to eternal torment... However, despite the weight of this news, we don't know whether we should make efforts to involve the dwarves."

He shook his head in dismay, "If we went to tell the crag it would be at least eight days before we got to Grvvti, when we got there the dwarves would abandon their war with the Skrvvti and return to the surface to fight. I don't actually think their weight of numbers would be great enough to guarantee victory anyway... And the Skrvvti would overrun our mines, so if he is defeated they would be without a home. The war has not gone well, we have abandonned our great halls - too difficult to defend, and we've fallen back. To leave the mine now would be to surrender it to our enemies."

He sighed deeply again, "I really don't know what is to be done, the Skrvvti worship a deity known as the Plague Lord, and they have been known to summon it's avatar, the horned rat... A deadly foe, standing in it's presence brings disease, poison and causes armour to corrode and flesh to bubble and rot... Only the most well prepared dwarves can stand up to the horned rat, and even then rarely can they defeat it without great number advantage... If the ancient lore is true, the Lord of the Pit could swallow the horned rat whole..."

The book in Gurts bag began bouncing around violently in his satchel jumping off his hip. He held it down to his hip looking embaressed, "Sorry - it does this sometimes... What is your opinion? Do we stand alot to gain warning the Crag? Even if we rushed there it would be three weeks before the dwarves could withdraw and mobilise..."
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

This was time for Robin to interrupt, "Zxn," he said after practicing it in his head, "I don't agree with you calling on the dwarves."

"You have your own war to fight, your own homes to protect," he then lowered his gaze, "I'd give anything to try and fight for my home one last time."

He then looked at Gurt, "If the dwarves retreat from their positions you will be giving up what I know you have bravely fought to gain. As a fellow warrior, I could never agree with such an idea."

He then turned to the Rajin, "Is there anyway to defeat 'him'? I mean any remote chance?"
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

"Difficult to say. I have never heard a story of anyone who has every faced him and lived. Dimok would be the best person to tell us but he has gone missing. Even though now it is beginning to look like his was taken because of his knowledge. They might have captured our most valuable ally in order to keeps the secrets he holds in tact so that can't be used against them."

Rajin sat down on a chair and was relieved when he was brought a cup of water. He took a deep drink and felt it as it went down and cooled his parched throat. He shifted in the chair and felt his muscle rebel in the moving. He would need some sleep soon. The banishment spell was taking it's toll on his body and he couldn't keep the charade going on for much longer. He did not want to appear weak at all in front of these important people. There would come times when they would need to trust in his strength, he could not let it falter now.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt gave Robin a knowing look, a look of respect, but with sadness, at the hint of Robin's story, "Aye, lad, hmmm... Dimok... I could tell you of an old dwarvish story..."

Eyes were upon him, including Votrex's ,'What yer telling em' Gurt?'

'I think it's time I told them a bit about Slayers...'

'Gurt? No...'

Before Votrex could interrupt him Gurt started.

"Ahem, now some of oyu might have noticed some differences between my friend here and I. These would not normally be of enough interest to explain to outsiders, but the story of Manek's last battle... Well maybe you can understand...

Votrex is a Slayer, he is a dwarf, who for some reason, unknown to the rest of the mine and Votrex himself lost his honour - he regained this honour by taking the slayer oath. When a dwarf does this, he sells or gives away everything he owns, he then spends all his money on protective runes, and a rune axe, like Votrex's which is imbued with various runes that enhance his combative ability.

Finally he bears a rune which will mean he loses memory of his former life and the disgrace or dishonour which has befallen him. He will still retain his identity, but his former life is akin to a vague dream, just beyond his perception, he leaves his mine never to return, his honour restored, provided he follows the slayer code. It's worth mentioning at this point that Votrex is far from typical, the dwarves of our mine suspect he may have been a dumcrag of some far off mountain, or a dwarf of some importance... Despite his lack of possesions he sports enough runes in tattoos and on his axe to purchase several mines... He doesn't know who he was - and it's impolite to ask him...

Anyway...

What the slayer seeks is death, at the hands of the mightiest creature he can find... There are certain rules and he tends to be expected to seek out specific creatures in a certain order, in the old days there were specific ranks, a slayer would become a troll slayer, then a giant slayer, then a dragon slayer... Though few would make it so far... Once in every few generations there may even be a daemon slayer...

This is all probably very boring to you all, but the slayer code comes from a single dwarf, the dwarf who lost the Kktf gued, an ancient dwarvish artefact, his name was Manek Mrrkzni, according to the lore, having roamed the deeps, the plains, the forests and the mountains without finding an opponent who could best him - he took it upon himself to venture into the very depths of hell to seek his death.

He found the cave of Thrth Aixn, a cave which legend has it leads directly to hell, after making his way in he fought his way to Pandemonium, hells capital city... And fought the one who cannot be named in single combat, despite a ferocious battle, he was killed, after dealing an almost fatal blow to him...

The greatest mystery to the dwarves - and one that is joked about amongst dwarves is if the legend is true - how did it ever bcome known? Anyway it could be nothing more than a fairytale... It is the most recent legend involving him anyway... Most of the other dwarvish tales of the lord of the pit relate to a time before the elves disappeared."

Votrex frowned, 'What? What are you telling them? They don't NEED to know!'

'Nothing much, just telling them a bit about who we are - calm down!'

'I'm not stupid Gurt - you're telling them about the slayer code - shut up! Our ways are none of their concern! They don't understand our culture!'
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi »

Romi frowned as she listened to the dwarf's lengthy narrative. She was amazed at how much these people talked and tried to seem noble. Her icy blue eyes passed over the group and she found herself holding back a bitter chuckle. What a motley group they had walked into.

A sorcerer's apprentice, a self-proclaimed prodigy of the greatest wizard who had ever existed, a weather-worn ranger with twin blades, and two dwarves who had resurfaced for who knows why. And then she and Jaeger, who hadn't said much beyond their names, and were going to keep it that way. Apparently these people had forgotten themselves. In times of danger, it wasn't generally the best idea to begin spouting personal histories. When the dwarf finished, Romi cleared her throat quietly.

"Are you always this unguarded about your personal details?" she said, her eyes sparkling in a strange way. It was hard to tell whether she was amused or irritated. The dwarf opened his mouth slightly. "I wasn't looking for an answer, my mistake. I find it incredible that you all should choose to swap stories instead of, say, examining the site in which the ritual took place? Or perhaps examining the creatures themselves. Talk does very little but make tongues dry."

The group stared at her, some astounded, others beginning to bristle. She smiled disarmingly, and Jaeger shadowed her mood.

"What my companion means to say is that perhaps we should be a little more resourceful with our time," he said, shifting his weight and putting his hand in the small of Romi's back. "We're not used to waiting around all that much."

OOC: If Jag could be the one to answer after this...her remarks were meant to incite some feelings that you all can bring out once we start trekking about. But if we keep everything confined to the room we're going to have nothing interesting to jabber about.
Stop blowing holes in my ship!
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Josylin did her best to try and hide her smile. The woman's remarks were blunt and to the point, possibly even rude, but she agreed with her. They weren't getting anywhere standing around here talking about it, what they needed to do was find some clues. The site in which the ritual took place would be the best place to start, and Josylin was eager to start snooping around. She had a natural curiosity for all things magic and actively sought to learn all she could. In spite of all her outward appearances magic came to her easily, at times even her master seemed surprised by her natural talent but even so he tried to hold her back. He believed that she was progressing too fast and that if she was not careful she would become corrupted by the power she so eagerly sought. So when she heard rumor of a fabled power reborn in the north she immediately set off on her own to investigate it, and she idly wondered if today's attack had any link to the rumors she followed.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt looked a little shocked at the comment, and Votrex noticed;

'What did she say?'

'Hmmmph! She's banging on about us talking too much... Grrr... Stupid headbanger - she obviously doesn't understand the ways of the dwarves, she'd rather go into battle without knowing what she was fighting...'

Votrex frowned, 'Perhaps she knows alot about the lord of pit? Maybe she has a solution, a way of finding and killing ~him~?'

Gurt chuckled softly at this and cast a subtle glance at the rude stranger who had passed the comment, 'Oh yes I'm sure, after all the elves couldn't find a way of stopping ~him~, but what the hell? Why should that stop some twenty something headbanger having a solution? Perhaps she can recover the Kktf gued while she's at it... Pah!'

Votrex was finding this quite amusing and chuckling under his breath, 'Hah! Funny to see you get so angry Gurt, you normally take such a measured approach to everything... Hmmph! Guess she's really rattle your cage there... Try to ignore her, it wouldn't be polite to try and kill her... '

Gurt was scowling and looking miserable now, 'She's dishonoured me! I should challenge her to a fight to the death!'

'Gurt, no offence, you're a great warrior, but your a greater scholar... Besides - these people don't understand dwarvish honour code - you're going to have to forget snidey comments up here, you told me yourself - people don't take as much care over what they say. What was it you said to me, "Try to ignore what people say if they insult you or dishonour you - it's kind of acceptable to surface dwellers."'

Gurt was still seething a little, 'Hmmph! Grrrrr.... You're right...'

He turned to the smarmy child woman who had made the comment, "Very well said dear... You lead the way, sorry to inconvenience you by trying to offer some insight into what we're dealing with - I'm sure you're right and it's better to act now and think about it later."

At that Gurt pushed the door open, and gestured towards the group, "Shall we?"
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Lord Runeblade had been trying to hide a smile ever since the young woman had spoken. Now he coughed slightly, drawing everyone's attention.

"Excuse me, Master Gurt. I would like to say something first."

The dwarf reluctantly closed the door, and demonstratively waited by the door, obviously ready to leave as soon as he could. Lord Runeblade began.

"I am impressed with the insight of everyone here, but I'd like to add my own insight to the pot, as they say." He didn't mention who 'they' might be. "As the dwarves will know - since they brought me the news - the ancient ruins called Hegat Keep is filled with activity once more. I would like you to investigate them for me, especially since I can't spare any men. I want to be prepared in case the demons attack again."

He motioned towards Joseph Brightholme.

"This is sir Brightholme, commander of the local Knights of the Cup. He also has a quest for you."

Joseph nodded solemnly.

"A few days ago, I sent a patrol of three to the north, to assess the damage done. I have just heard that the patrol has been destroyed. Two of the knights have been found dead, and the third - Knight-Brother Selene Winterborn - is missing. Also, there were traces of the ground having been burnt, almost like that of dragonfire, however unlikely that is. I would like you to investigate it if at all possible, and perhaps bring back the remains of Knight-Brother Winterborn, so that she may receive a proper burial."

Lord Runeblade turned to them.

"Will you accept these missions?"
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"That is preposterous! How would you know what dragonfire looks like?" Josylin blurted out suddenly, "Am I given to believe that you have been around many dragons and are experienced in these matters?" But before Brightholme could respond she finally remembered where she was and who she was speaking to. Bowing her head in embarrassment she quickly apologized, "Excuse me, my lord, it was not my place."

The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Joseph smiled.

"No need to apologise. I do not know if it was dragonfire, that is true. But according to the report I received, the ground was burned in narrow lines and only in certain places. It seemed almost deliberate. It could be a hoax, but even the tiniest clue may bring us victory. Is that satisfactory, young sorceres?"
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt rubbed his chin thoughtfully and nodded towards Votrex, 'He says Dragons may not be extinct... Apparently there's possible evidence of Dragon fire been found...'

Votrex eyes lit up like christmas tree lights, he'd slain all manner of creaturs before, trolls, skrvvti, wizards, even a giant, but a dragon? They were supposed to be extinct, it represented a great prize for a slayer to fight one. 'Hah! When do we leave!? '

'Calm down, we don't know if it's a hoax or not,'

Gurt looked up to the lord, "Hmmm, there are many dwarf texts on dragons, which I've read and we still have a close relative of the dragon in the deeps - Vurkmt we call them, or worms, they are smaller, they spit acid instead of fire, their wings are underdeveloped and they cannot fly - they burrow... There are many different types of dragons, or were should I say... To my knowledge all true dragons are extinct...."

He began pacing slowly, stroking his beard, "Hmmm, it is a tantilising thought though eh? It should be easy to tell if it's a hoax, dragonfire is extremely hot, it causes rock and stone to melt and bubble - very little else does that.... Hmmm, also it's slightly gelatinous and sticky, if the ash left has a powdery, moist, slightly sticky feel to it.... It could be true... I suspect it's only swamp dragon at best anyway - they are most recently declined and may still be around in small numbers, I doubt it would be draconis nobilis... Hmmm, how long were the scorch marks? Less than ten foot long streaks and it's definately draconis vulgaris - or the smaller, commoner swamp dragon... Hmmm, even those are supposed to be extinct..."
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Joseph ended the discussion before it began.

"I am sure it is just rumours, but if you would check it out while you are there. Now, I assume you will need to rest. I will gather the necessary provisions and have them ready - along with horses - in the morning. Is that satisfactory?"

OOC: Just assume they have slept and gather in the courtyard. The posts will get longer again, I promise.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt and Votrex looked at the misfit band of characters that were milling about the courtyard. The book worm girl who had created the magic wall, the bold ranger who had fought like a warrior poet against the demon hoard...

Then the arrogant seeming mystery warrioress with her cohort... Something didn't sit right about them... Gurt could simply not put his finger on it, he avoided looking at her as best he could, a simple glimpse of her mokcing eyes filling him with rage.

Of course the knights were there too, preparing for the trip, and the mysterious master wizard, Gurt liked him, and the ranger. They seemed like no-nonsense folk who had their heads screwed on tightly.

He turned to Votrex, 'Bah, what's taking so long... We ought to be off, preferrably in the opposite direction of that wench... She gives me the creeps..'

Votrex chuckled softly, 'Dunner be sore about it Gurt, she seems fine to me... anyway - you DO talk too much! People aren't generally interested in your lectures on anatomy and lore, you'd be more popular if you learned when to shut up!' He smiled at Gurt showing that he was to a degree joking, and not intending to offend him.

Gurt frowned, then rolled his eyes, 'Aye lad, ah suppose yer right... I have got a habit of jabbering on... I still don't like her - she seems elvish...'

'Gah! Listen ter yerself Gurt, she's NOT elvish, she's just a cocky wee lass that speaks her mind - I respect that. Anyway what's happening? Are we off yet?'

Gurt looked up at the assembled group, "Is everyone ready? Who is going where? We should probably split up - we could cover both quests at once then."
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Not surprisingly Josylin was the last to arrive in the courtyard after all the others were well prepared to leave. This time, however, her late rising was due more to a lack of sleep then a desire to sleep in. She had spent almost the whole night before in the Keep's libary studying the books. She was a bit disappointed by the size of the library and it's contents, but she did find a bit of useful information. Mostly pertaining to Hegat Keep and an ancient cult that once dwelled in the north, as well as various dark magicks used for summoning. She even did a bit of research about dragons as well, though she didn't really believed they existed. However, much of her time was spent reading about the cult. The librarian had mentioned it in kind of an off-handed manner, suggesting that he believed they were behind this attack. But by all accounts the cult was wiped out years ago, so Josylin still had her doubts. Still, though, she found the information covering it to be very intriguing. Not many people knew how to cast dark magic, if one of these cultists had survived it's possible they could have orchaestrated this attack. But that was assuming a cultist had survived, right now there was no evidence connecting the cult to the attack, so for now she dismissed that idea.

Her research carried on into the wee hours of the morning and abruptly came to an end when she fell asleep on the table. She awoke that morning still sitting in the library when a servant was sent to fetch her. She didn't have much time to change her clothes so she grabbed the two books she had been reading, stuffed them in a bag and rushed out to meet the others in the courtyard. She was still half asleep some time later when Gurt had finally spoken up. "Is everyone ready? Who is going where? We should probably split up - we could cover both quests at once then," the dwarf was saying.

"Who, what?" Josylin asked drowsily, "Oh right, umm... I don't think we really need to split up, the place where the ambush happened is on the way to Hegat Keep, right?" She asked, glancing at Joseph Brightholme.

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Robin watched as everyone gathered, "Some crew we got here" he laughed to himself.

Robin drew his swords and began to spin them around himself quickly as the other spoke to each other. Robin hated waiting around so he let others do the talking and he'd do the fighting.

"I hate all this waiting, let's get a move on."
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Votrex smiled at Robin, he didn't understand the language, but he could tell by the tone what he meant - and Votrex felt the same way. He gave Robin a hearty slap on the back, a thumbs up and pointed to the exit.

As they began walking Gurt scuttled after them to catch up. He smiled at Robin and walked along with him, "You got the Yes and No thing I see! Now hmmm, hello and goodbye? Probably a good thing to go to next. Hello, though it's doesn't translate exactly as hello - it's the most common dwarf greeting though, is Hrrf grnga" 'I see you!'

Looking sheepishly he rolled his eyes, "It actually means 'I can see you.' Don't ask me why, I suppose it comes from living underground without much naturallight, it's just evolved to be the first thing most dwarves say to each other."

Robin appeared amused at this, but Gurt continued anyway as they walked, "Goodbye, well the most commonly used goodbye is 'Yffkn Rrwyn' and it translates exactly as 'travel well'. To make the 'ff'and the 'rr' sound, keep your teeth together, back of the throat and sort of softly cough letting your lips shape the sound."

Votrex, plodding alongside smiled at the lesson and grinned manicly at Robin, "Hrrf grnga!" <> 'I see you!
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Joseph nodded.

"Quite right. So there is no need to split up at all."

He looked after the ranger and dwarves, then muttered to himself: "I suppose they'd rather walk than ride." He said it loud enough for Josylin and anyone nearby to hear.

Behind him, two of the knights were leading a number of horses out of the stables, each saddle filled with provisions.
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Robin smiled at Votrex, "Hrrf grnga!"

He the gave a thumbs up and a hearty laugh. "I have a good feeling about this Votrex. I know you can't understand me, but hopefully we get to kill somethig soon, right?"

Robin then smiled again and patted Votrex on his back.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt was eyeing up the horses being saddled with suspicion, he turned to Votrex, 'I think this is going to be a long, slow trip friend... And we are going to get there last.... Hmmm, unless...'

He gently tapped Robins shoulder, "Excuse me lad, you don't suppose there's somethin' in the stable for two rather short, very novice horsemen? Ahem... By that I mean we've never ridden in our lives - but if we walk and they ride, well the fighting will be over by the time we catch up if what I've heard is true..."
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Rajin awoke refreshed and ready to go after his long sleep. He grabbed his meal and headed out to where everyone else was meeting. As he walked out onto the courtyard, he saw all those who where there from the day before. Also some horses where being brought out and Rajin noticed the looks on the faces of the dwarves. Then from the side, burst Josylin out of a doorway. She looked disheveled as usual and she was carrying some more books.

*”Ugg, she is pathetic. She could have at least made herself look presentable. All that time with her nose in a book she is missing what is really going on.”* He said to himself. He walked over and took the reigns of one of the horses and stepped up into the saddle. Dimok had given him some training on fighting while in the saddle, especially when it came to performing magic while on horseback where one does not usually have the stead foundations of stone or dirt underneath their feet. But that would come later, for now, it was time to be going. He took his sword and placed it so were it would not hinder his riding and waited for the call to ride.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Joseph looked around. It seemed everyone was ready, including the dwarves who had been issued with ponies. He called out:

"Mount up!"

He mounted his horse, and led the group out of the keep, through the town and onto the road going north. The day passed without any problems, and at nightfall they crossed into the province known as the Mountains of Fire. Far away, they caught a glimpse of the massive mountain known as the White Fang, looming above the other peaks.

As they made camp that first night, Joseph turned to his civilian companions:

"We are going to take shifts guarding the camp. Any particular order you wish to be in?"
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt and Votrex rode with great uncertainty. Clearly merely trying to copy the actions of the others, without a great understanding of how riding actually 'worked'.

Gurt appeared utterly terrified and would occasionally mutter dwarvish curses to his timid mount, desperately trying to keep the creature from getting excited. Votrex's tactic was totally different, but equally uneffective. Yelling and kicking and yanking his reigns, his mount was veering around in a state of sheer terror at the diminutive mad-man that appeared to stuck to it's back.

By the time they made it to the camp both dwarves were sweating, one with cold fear and the other with sheer exertion. Votrex stared bleakly at his mount, before turning to Gurt, 'I tell yer what lad I can't believe the dwarves ever rode these things by choice! It's like a wild animal!'

Gurt rolled his eyes sarcastically, 'Votrex, we used to use them in the mine - but we didn't tend to ride them... We dwarves aren't meant for riding creatures - we're not built for it I'm sure... Anyway perhaps if you didn't spend so much time fighting your mount....'

'Hah! You can talk - you were scared like a frail old woman on your mount!'

'Hmmph! Well YOU looked ridiculous veering all over the places screaming like you were in a berserker rage! You're mount is terrified of you!'

The grumbling continued until Sir Brightholme spoke. Gurt coughed to gain his attention, "It's getting dark, perhaps with our improved night vision we should take the first watches?"
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi »

OOC: I believe Brightholme is the one speaking, Smoke.

IC: Romi had spent most of the trek that day watching with twinging pity as the dwarves bumbled about on their little ponies. Romi felt no pity for the dwarves, but rather the unfortunate creatures they were perched upon. Especially the animal beneath Votrex, the ax-weilding one. The poor animal was frothing, eyes rolling in a panic as the dwarf yanked at its bit relentlessly. But for Jaeger's arm on hers, Romi might've done something very nasty.

As night fell, White Fang came into view, and Romi felt slightly calmer beneath its familiar shadow. She and Jaeger gazed up at it as the rest of the camp set up tents and built a fire. Joseph pulled them both away from the sight.

"We are going to take shifts guarding the camp. Any particular order you wish to be in?" he said, looking about at the group.

Gurt coughed. "It's getting dark, perhaps with our improved night vision we should take the first watch?"

Romi shook her head and Jaeger spoke. "We'll take first shift. My eyesight is as good as any dwarf's, and your poor mounts could use some care."

The dwarves bristled visibly as Romi took the reins of the animals, leading them to an edge of the camp to water and clean. Romi cast a look over her shoulder, smirking. Would they ever make peace with these earth-dwellers? Probably not. The earth and the sky existed together, sure, but never did they touch. Romi and Jaeger belonged to the wind and the clouds; the dwarves to the earth, loam, and rock. It would be hard to mesh.

Romi tied the ponies and relieved them of their bits, murmuring foreign phrases to soothe the agitated creatures. They drank eagerly. Romi and Jaeger brushed their sweaty backs, laying blankets over them as they took up their seats on the soft grass. Romi's bow sat lightly on her shoulder, Jaeger's sword across his lap. His green eyes glowed slightly as he stared into the forest edge, scanning.

"I can't smell anything out of the ordinary," he said quietly.

"That's good. I'd welcome an uneventful night." Romi yawned comically.
Stop blowing holes in my ship!
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Josylin paid the others little heed as she set about grooming her horse. While the others set up camp and discussed who would take the first watch Josylin pulled her horse aside to a nearby creek and let it drink while she patted down its mane. Though seemingly inept at about everything else she was surprisingly competent when it came to horses. Her expertise coming from years spent tending a stable just outside her master's tower. As she combed the beast's coat she hummed a soft melody to it under her breath.

Sing all ye joyful, now sing all together!
The wind's in the tree-top, the wind's in the heather;
The stars are in blossom, the moon is in flower,
And bright are the windows of Night in her tower.

Dance all ye joyful, now dance all together!
Soft is the grass, and let foot be like feather!
The river is silver, the shadows are fleeting;
Merry is May-time, and merry our meeting.

Sing we now softly, and dreams let us weave him!
Wind him in slumber and there let us leave him!
The wanderer sleepeth. Now soft be his pillow!
Lullaby! Lullaby! Alder and Willow!

Sigh no more Pine, till the wind of the morn!
Fall Moon! Dark be the land!
Hush! Hush! Oak, Ash, and Thorn!
Hushed be all water, till dawn is at hand!

To the others it seemed as though she were singing gibberish, but to her she knew the words meant something, although she did not understand them herself. The tune itself was a lullaby her father used to sing to her as a child to help her sleep. Its true origins, however, were a mystery to her.

Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

OOC: Sorry - can someone modify the previous post so that it's correct as Riley has so kindly pointed out my error.

IC:

Having been relieved of their mounts Gurt and Votrex retreated to the centre of the camp where they intended to sleep. Gurt removed a blanket from his pack and prepared a place to lie. Votrex simply sat staring at the moon, a wild glint in his eyes, a piercing stare, only broken when Gurt offered him a piece of dwarf bread.

'Here Votrex, got ter keep yer strength up lad.'

Votrex took the rock-hard bun, with a texture of granite and and sank his teeth into it. The sound of slayer munching dwarf bread was rather like rocks being ground together. Powder, dry and hard it left a smatter of grey on his bright red beard.

Votrex, still desperately trying to chew, gestured towards Robin, 'Why not offer our friend here a piece?'

Gurt caught Robin's look and pondered for a moment, before removing another small bun from his pack. "Ahem, Robin, Votrex here wonders whether you'd like to try some dwarf bread... We won't be offended if you don't want to though. According to the story's only dwarves ever tended to eat dwarf bread, it's not a pleasant meal - we bake it more for travel longevity and according to the resources we have at hand, so it tends to be extremely hard, dry and not too tasty... It will last for many months once baked though and is quite nutritious if you have strong enough teeth to chew it..."

Gurt looked sheepishly at Robin and whacked the bun onto a large rock nearby. The hollow thunk sounded like two stones thumping together. Gurt shrugged and offered the bun to Robin.

Votrex was again sitting quietly chomping on his bread, dry powder spilling onto his beard, when he heard the melodic, soft song coming from the horses. He nudged Gurt, 'That what a' think it is?'

Gurt, distracted from Robin for a moment listened carefully, he recognised it too, Aye, it's elvish... Hmmm, I can't understand it though - her pronunciation is a bit strange... Something about singing, the wind and sleeping... Hmmm, I don't recognise the tune... It's unusual though - how do you suppose she knows elvish?'

Votrex shrugged non-chalantly, 'All those books... She probably read about it...'

Gurt nodded and took a munch out of his granite-like dwarf bread, a sharp cracking sound announcing the succeesful bite.
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Robin smiled as he took the bread and then examined it, "Well, I've probably had worse."

He stuck the bread in his mouth and bit down as hard as he could, his teeth ached from the bite but he did manage to get a peice of the bread in his mouth.

Though the crunching he smiled, "It's actually not too bad when you start chewing," he laughed.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt smiled at Robin, Votrex was grinning manicly as usual. Clearly Robin had used alot of momentum and effort - but it had paid off and he was chewing extremely tough, dwarf bread and smiling.

Votrex patted him gently on the shoulder, 'Tirrh hrrrfga hrr!'

Gurt chortled, "Votrex is asking you if it's good! The word for good is tirrh by the way."
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Rajin led his horse to the water and spoke into it's ear. His horse began to drink and he proceeded to take off the saddle. he sat down on a rock and removed his sword. The balde was old, and elvish. It had been a gift for passing a test of Dimok. He was such and inspiration and only he knew how old he really was.

Some rumors said that he was there when the Elves pulled away from the rest of the known world. He still cursed in Elvish, which Rajin always found interesting do the the fact that usually after he cursed at something or someone, something bad would usually happen. The Elven people were truley one with the Earth and much of the ways that Rajin saw things were of Dimok's teachings on Elvish designs and methodology.

As he sat there he put his head back and just listened to the calming water flowing by but he caught the sound of singing on the wind. The words started out faintly but grew louder as the wind calmed down a little bit. The song was coming from a woman but Rajin couldn;t place the voice. The melody crawled across the creek and dance in the wind. Rajin got up, patted his horse who pulled his head up from the water and snorted, and moved towards the sound. He crept over the side of the water until he saw the woman singing. She was brushing a horse and Rajin was struck by her beauty in the slim moonlight. He sat and listening to her sing. The song sounded familer but Rajin could not place that language but felt enchanted by it. Suddenly it hit him. He caught a specific word and the realization slammed into him like a giant war hammer. She was singing in Elvish. Rajin began to stand up when he hit a small mossy rock and he stumbled forward.

He didn;t quite fall but he got himself wet enough and to expose where he was the the woman. She looked up at him and his jaw nearly hit the river bed. It was Josylin, the clumsy, child entertainer, bookworm. His mind raced for something to say.

"Uhmm, well hello."

*"Oh great that was good idiot!" He yelled at himself and then he just froze and stood there just waiting for her to say something. Something that he could make a snide remark about and hopefully excuse himself for his stupidity and to also try and cover up whatever his mind was thinking at the moment. Her hair was down and in the limited moon light she look exquisate. He was really in a bind now and was about to turn when she began to speak.

ooc:hope you don't mind Pryde but I don't think we have ever gotten a description of what Joslyn looks like. If you want to throw me a bone here that would be nice. ;)
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Rajin's sudden appearance startled her slightly, but when he stood there dumbfounded, unsure of what to say she arched an eyebrow at him. Just what was he playing at? Everything he's said to her so far had been a snide remark about her ability as a mage, and now all of a suddenly he was being polite? It didn't make much sense.

"I see that spying on people is not one of your specialties," she said as she turned back to her horse and continued combing its hair. "Just what is it you want, anyway?"

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Robin smiled and as he mumbled the words, "Tirrh," although it must have sounded jumbled with his mouth full of food. Robin then excused himself as he walked to the creek to get a drink, he cuped his hands and took in a few mouthfuls of the water befire he filled his small canteens.

As he did he noticed a small group of fish swimming not too far from him. Pulling out a small dagger, he had a great idea. He studies the fish's movements for minutes before he plunged the dagger into the water and when he pulled it back out the dagger had impaled the fish acting like a makeshift spear.

He pulled the fish off the dagger and placed it next to him and tried again, however, he could only catch two more fish before the school swam off. He returned to the camp with the fish in his hands, "So," he began, "who's hungry?"
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Think THINK! Why can I not think of anything to say?

"Uhmm well i heard singing but I did not know where it came from. When I found that it was you I was interested in how you came to know that language?"

Dimok would have fell off his horse laughing at Rajin. Of course Rajin was never a ladies man, in fact he was treated rather badly by the opposite sex since he was little for being smart. That had been eight years ago and now he was in his twenties, barley. He should not be this bad when it came to speaking with woman.

Something had changed, he had seen her in a light and singing an Elvish song that made his hair on the back of his neck stand up. He looked at her again and suddenly felt the warmness rise to his face and he realized how foolish he must look standing there in the cold water. He started to walk over to her but tried as he might, his air of mystery was gone now. He felt like he was fourteen again and having been dumped in a river back home because he had outsmarted the larger boy in a magic test.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Now she was really confused, she had half expected him to say something snide in return but that never happened. What exactly had gotten into him? "It's a lullaby my father used to sing to me when I was a little girl," she said, never taking her eyes off the horse. While she worked the comb through its mane she could feel him staring at her and his gaze was making her feel very uncomfortable. When she finally did turn around to look at him he was blushing. Okay, this is getting weird.

"Alright, what's going on?" She asked finally, "You haven't said one nice thing to me since this whole thing started, just what are you plotting?"

The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

"Plotting, I'm not plotting, but your song I have heard before. But I heard it from my Master Dimok." Josylin stopped brushing the horse and turned back towards him. He was closer now and redness was almost out of his face. It almost came back as he got close to her but he made sure to try and stay a small distance away.

"I take it you have never heard that language before?"

She shook her head slightly. "What are you getting at?" She asked.

"Your song is Elvish in nature. Dimok taught me some Elven words and for what I can gather from your song, it is a song about the turning of winter into spring. It was a joyous festival song celebrating the end of Winter and the coming of Spring. This song hasn't been heard amongst human ears in a very long time. Dimok was supposedly alive during the decline of the elves and he lived among them for a while. Anyway I mostly learned curse words from Dimok but he did teach me some other terms and some phrases. Can you tell me more about your father and where he might have heard this song?"

He swallowed hard because this next part was going to hurt his pride.

"Wait before you say anything, let me apologize for how I have been treating you. It is defense I have so I don't look stupid. I didn't have the greatest childhood and had an abusive father. That is why I ended up with Dimok. I was basically told since I couldn't hold a sword right, I should be a wizard's apprentice. The last thing my father said to me was 'Maybe he will be good enough to grow some cows food.' and then he and his friends laughed. I was eight. From then on I tried steeling myself from people and that is probably why I was so good with Dimok, I didn't have anyone else. So I just want to say I'm sorry." He tried to smile but the pain of that time came rushing back. He was glad that the moon had gone behind a stray cloud because he had almost started to cry.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Well, this is unexpected, she thought to herself, completely taken by surprise by Rajin's sudden honesty. Just what does he expect me to say? "Um, well..." she began, floundering for the words. "There's not much to really say," she continued, "My father died of an illness when I was very young, the song is all I have to remember him by."

"Did he tell you anything about it? Like where it came from?" Rajin asked curiously. Josylin thought about that for a moment then shook her head. "No," she replied, "He never told me where it came from. Only that it reminded him of his greatest love."

Rajin arched an eyebrow at that last part. "His greatest love?" He asked, "Could he have meant your mother?"

Josylin looked away from him and started working her comb through the horse's mane again. Her movements clearly indicating that she was agitated by something. "I don't know, maybe. Why does it matter?"

"I'd like to know," Rajin persisted, "Please, could you tell me about her?"

"I can't," Josylin said simply, her voice choking slightly. Rajin looked at her for a moment then nodded. "Look," he began, "if it's too painful for you I understa--" but Josylin suddenly cut him off.

"I can't tell you about her because I never knew her. She died giving birth to me," she said turning back to look at him, tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm an orphan, okay? Is that what you wanted to hear? I'm an orphan."

Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Gurt's eyes lit up at the sight of the skewered fish. Votrex raised an eyebrow at him, 'Gurt, what the blazes are THOSE!?'

Gurt rubbed his chin, 'I believe they are called fish, long has it been since they were found underground... They are exceptionally good to eat or so they say.'

Votrex smiled at Robin as Robin began grilling the fish over the now glowing fire.

As the fish crackled on the makeshift spit Gurt was pulled violently to the side, his bag flapping about like a wild animal in his bag. As it burst out it flew through the air and landed halfway between the fire and Joslyn. Gurt skipped to his feet and dived on the book catching it with both hands.

Gingerely he opened the book and peered at the pages, as he opened it though the characters suddenly darted about the page, trying to hide behind each other or squishing up against the edges making them illegible.

He flicked a couple of pages and characters leapt from page to page to avoid being read. Angrily he slammed the book shut and stuffed it back into his bag, tying the fastener tightly.

"Sorry about that, grrr, damn book - wish I'd left it behind... How are those fish coming Robin?"
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

rajin figured he would probably get slapped for this next move but he still walked closer and put his hand on her shoulder. He could feel deep breathing and he could tell she was trying to fight back the tears. He pulled his hand away and spoke. "That was actually not what I wanted to hear. But I do understand growing up without my mother. She died when I was two, or so my father told me. According to him, she was killed by some beast in the wild. I don't believe him but after that i had to experience my father's mistresses and the prostitutes he would bring home. They were almost as abusive as he was." Rajin put his head down and then took another deep breath.

"We are more alike then I think either of us want to admit but I think we can work together to finish this mission. I know that you have a vast knowlege of defensive spells and the majority of mine are attacking skills. If you want we can trade up and see what we can come up with. It looks like we are facing a dragon and that is something I am not happy about. Through all the stories and everything I know from Dimok, we could be in big trouble if it is true."
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Dragons aren't real," Josylin blurted out, glad that Rajin had changed the subject. "I don't know why everyone keeps bringing them up. They're just a fantasy, there's no physical evidence to prove that dragons ever existed at all. It's the same with the elves, too. They're just stories, none of it is real. And as for the dwarves..." she stopped suddenly and glanced over to where Gurt and Vortrex were sitting, "Well, how can I be sure they are who they say they are? Maybe they're just short."

"Look," she said, turning back to face Rajin, "I'm just here to find any evidence on the cult. The last thing I need is to get caught up in a misguided quest to find some mythical creature that doesn't exist."

The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Unknown to Raijin and Josylin, they were not alone. Less than fifty meters away, behind several large boulders, three figures were listening.

Kale and Selene both wore light silvery armours, covered by black cloaks. They each carried a longsword and a dagger. Beside them sat Tharseris. She was clad in a simple - and rather revealing - black dress that matched the blue tinge in her skin. She was seemingly unarmed.

When Josylin exclaimed that dragons weren't real, Tharseris snorted, then whispered to Kale and Selene:

"These humans speak as if the world revolves around them. Just because there is no evidence does not mean something does not exist."

Selene nodded. She had felt exactly the same way as Josylin did until the attack. The sight of an attacking dragon has changed her mind, sure enough. Kale and Tharseris had brought her to White Fang to be tended - with the blessing of Io - and the sight of the soaring dragons had convinced her.

Kale shrugged. He had more love for the human race than his companion.

"Come on. We might as well introduce ourselves. Tharseris," he turned his head to look at her, "inform Romi and Jaeger, while I answer their questions. And remember, we can't reveal anything yet."

Tharseris and Selene nodded, and the three stepped out of the bushes and into sight of the group...
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

As the three figures appeared, seemingly from nowhere - Votrex sprang to his feet lifting his axe at the same time and screamed, 'AMBUSH!'

Halting in an aggressive stance, between the strangers and the fire, his runic tatoos were glowing softly, indicating some increase in ambient magic.

Gurt stood wearily and readied his axe, the newcomers had made no aggresive moves, but had appeared rather stealthily as if from nowhere. He coughed, "Ahem, my friend here is concerned at your sneaking up on us, could you possibly tell us what your business here is?"

It sounded lame, he wondered how long he could carry on putting words in Votrex mouth without people noticing, at the same time though he was utterly determined to try to foster good diplomatic relations with everyone they met.

Two strangers in a foreign land cannot afford to make enemies...

He waited patiently for their response.
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

It didn't take a knowledge of dwarvish to know what Votrex was yelling, so Robin sprung to his feet and immediatly produced his two swords from under his cloak.

Taking up a defensive stance next to Votrex, his body remained rigid until he knew who these intruders were. Gurt was the first to interact with them and as Robin watched me studied their movements or the slightest hint of a threat.