Rebelling Against Star Wars

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Renegade Rebel

Rebelling Against Star Wars

Post by AnthonyL »

Ladies and Gentlemen. I make this post today to let you all know of about a raid against the House of Mouse and their new lackey's, Lucasfilm and Lucas Arts as well as all their affiliates. I love Star Wars. It has been important to me ever since my late brother introduced The Empire Strikes Back to me when I was just 5 years old. I have been reading the Star Wars books from the time I could understand how to read. Star Wars was a way for me to relax from school, break away from the bullies and bad situations I went through as a child. It was my escape. Over the years I have come to love the authors of these books for the way they create scenarios, characters, and interactions between them. I have been happy with the endings of most of the Star Wars books, sad at some, left with a melancholy feeling from the others. I am a fan. I paid money for these books and now I have a collection of nearly 200 books.

It was with great sorrow I learned of the Star Wars books, called the Expanded Universe, would not only be considered non-canon but would be classified as 'Legends' while a brand new era of Star Wars books would be written. This would change all the known history from the movies, the books, the comics, and the games which had ever been learned by the millions of Star Wars fans in the world.

I am not asking for money, I am not asking for a great commitment from anyone, and I am not asking you to take more than 5 minutes out of your everyday lives. I am asking something simple, easy, and quick. I am asking that all my friends, relatives, acquaintances, and Star Wars fans go to this FB page https://www.facebook.com/starwarsbooks tomorrow at your earliest convenience and post a request that the Star Wars Expanded Universe continue to be written and published under its new 'Legends' banner.

I ask this from you in the hopes that with enough support we can get Disney to continue the Star Wars stories that millions of people grew up reading and loving. I ask this simple request from you because the power of the people, the fans, cannot and will never be silenced!!! Do not let the Star Wars Legends books stop and fade into obscurity!!!! Only together can we hope to curb the tide of injustice that Disney has done to the millions of fans of one of the greatest Sci Fi genres to ever exist!!!
Please post this on all your pages and let your friends who like Star Wars see this. Share and share alike!!!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
Mand'alor

Re: Rebelling Against Star Wars

Post by Cadden »

Lucas always said the EU as we know it was never considered actual Star Wars canon.

#justsayin
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Seriously, did you just use a hashtag? I fuggin' hate hashtags. :evil:

#killCadden
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Renegade Rebel

Post by AnthonyL »

It is not about canonizing the EU, this rebellion is about forcing Disney to continue publishing the EU books under the Legends banner.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Pryde2000 wrote:Seriously, did you just use a hashtag? I fuggin' hate hashtags. :evil:

#killCadden
Hypocrite.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I honestly have no idea what you could be referring to. :P

Renegade Rebel

Post by AnthonyL »

The point of this post is to build a coalition against Disney and force them to listen to Star Wars fans. Fans want the Legends (EU) to continue being published. If Disney wants to produce both the EU and the new Canon that is fine, many fans just want to keep reading about Ben Skywalker, Jaina, Luke, and the many other new characters created by EU.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Unfortunately, it's probably not going to happen.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Which is a sad thing considering how awesome the X-wing series was overall. The Legacy of the Force stuff wasn't...horrible. I enjoyed some of it. Thrawn and the like was awesome as well. That does mean however that Chewie isn't dead and neither is Anakin...and the Vong never happened. Thank the lord. The latter three nearly make it all worth it. :?

Post by PalinSoulForge »

Vox wrote:Which is a sad thing considering how awesome the X-wing series was overall. The Legacy of the Force stuff wasn't...horrible. I enjoyed some of it. Thrawn and the like was awesome as well. That does mean however that Chewie isn't dead and neither is Anakin...and the Vong never happened. Thank the lord. The latter three nearly make it all worth it. :?
I wrote almost this exact post but then decided to not post it. Means Jacen never went Darkside and isn't dead to. Lets hope they take the good stuff from the current EU and make it cannon. That would be a petition I could get on board with, however I am all up for getting rid of the Vong, Legacy, Chewie, Mara Jade, Anakin, Jacen ect. dying(the Game of Thrones before there was Game of Thrones apparently).
€╣╬╬╬╬╬╬[◦)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

PalinSoulForge wrote:[...] however I am all up for getting rid of the Vong, Legacy, Chewie, Mara Jade, Anakin, Jacen ect. dying(the Game of Thrones before there was Game of Thrones apparently).
Umm... you do realize that both A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings (the first two "Song of Ice and Fire" books) came before all these events happened, right? If you want to exclude Chewie and the Vong from that list, almost all the current books in the series were released before Mara Jade died.

Just pointing out a glaringly incorrect statement, here....
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Yeah...you have a point Cadden. I'm all for undoing the whole Anakin Solo dying thing though. I rather liked Jacen dying though...he always bothered me. Like...always. I dig the whole Jaina being trained by Boba Fett thing. I'm partial though because Freedom is in the same boat.

We can't pick and choose though sadly. it is either all gone or it all stays.
Renegade Rebel

Post by AnthonyL »

Regardless of everyones personal likes and dislikes, there are 500 people I know who want the EU books to be continued. Disney can make all the fucked up movies they want, get all the Just a Joke Abrams' they want, and publish as many 'new canon' books they want. All fans that I know of want more of the EU. I agree with the Rogue and Wraith Squadron being very well written. I personally had no problems with the Vong series, and I loved the Thrawn trilogy. But I would like to have more of those stories with the people we know of.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I'm not sure how you can say that about a movie that hasn't even come out yet. You have no idea what the movie is going to be like, spoiler sites be damned. Until the movie comes out, reserve your judgment. Otherwise you're setting yourself up to not like the movie, when it could very well be a great movie.
#Valkob4Life
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Mirrodin2nd wrote:I'm not sure how you can say that about a movie that hasn't even come out yet. You have no idea what the movie is going to be like, spoiler sites be damned. Until the movie comes out, reserve your judgment. Otherwise you're setting yourself up to not like the movie, when it could very well be a great movie.
^ This ^

Might I add the guy has directed the following noteworthy titles?

Mission: Impossible 3
Star Trek & Into Darkness (duh)
Super 8 (a good watch, arguably)

He's also been the Executive Producer of a few good running TV series (though I've never watched them, I'm going off of sheer episode numbers and viewer responses, here), produced Mission Impossible 4, Cloverfield, and Super 8 (as well as the obvious Star Treks)... and is a huge Star Wars fan himself?

Even Kevin Smith, who I'm not a huge personal fan of, is very impressed with what he was privileged to see in his personal invite on set, and that guy's as big a Star Wars geek as any of us here.

Honestly, I think you're just not giving this guy enough credit. I'm sure the movies will be just fine.
Renegade Rebel

Post by AnthonyL »

Cadden, Mirrodin, my personal opinion of Just a Joke Abrams and his abilities to produce/direct a sci fi franchise like Star Wars was made after Star Trek Reboot. I gave him plenty of credit until Trek reboot. I know a great many fans who liked the movie(people younger than I am who didn't know who Kirk was) and fans who hated it(people who grew up watching TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, and all the Kirk movies). I reserved my judgement for Trek. I was completely disappointed. His Into Darkness sequel was just as poor. He cannot do a sci fi movie properly without changing up every single thing that made it original. You can disagree if you want to, that is your right, so please do not tell me to reserve my judgement based on his past failures. James Cameron, Peter Jackson, or any of the directors/producers of the Trek TV shows could have done a better job on the new Trek movies.

As far as the Topic of this post is concerned, all many fans want is the continuance of the Expanded Universe. It doesn't have to be canonized, made into movies, or anything else. The EU books just need to be continued so the fans can find out the things that happened in the last novels. Is that so bad for them to want?
Wise-Ass

Post by ValynDyral »

On the subject of the movies...You know, I feel like after what George Lucas did to Star Wars, Disney taking the reins can only be a good thing. What the prequels made abundantly clear to me was that the magic of the original 1970s/1980s films was half-luck, and half the talent and hard work of the incredibly capable people Lucas surrounded himself with. George Lucas deserves much less credit for the success of Star Wars than he is typically given, and now that he is out of the picture, and we have the original cast, plus the screenwriter of the original trilogy, working under the capable guidance of a guy who is actually good at producing films, I think we may see the first good Star Wars film in decades.

--

On the subject of the EU and Legends and all that - There's no forcing Disney to do anything. Disney owns the Star Wars IP, and no petition, whether it has 500 signatures or 5 million, is going to force them to do anything. If your plan of action involves use of the word force, then you've already lost.

However, if you can demonstrate a significant market demand for established EU fiction, then you can very possibly entice Disney to keep pumping out those novels. Companies love established audiences. My advice, as someone for whom marketing and PR is a central component of his job - change your approach. Less stick, more carrot.
Renegade Rebel

Post by AnthonyL »

Then help us with the rebellion. Put your PR skills to use in order to help people who actually love Star Wars, regardless of whom makes the movies.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Enticing them happens through dollars. Meaning that sales of EU/Legends/Whatever materials would have to not only continue in size and scope, but grow, and grow exponentially.

As to your statements on Abrams, I sincerely doubt that Disney would allow Abrams to as 'devastating' a job with VII as he did with the two Treks. Disney is 'very' protective of it's IPs and ensures that everything links together and is done properly. Tron Legacy comes to mind. Furthermore, when it comes to movies 'diverting' from source material, I personally don't care that much. For starters, there would be no source material, if it wasn't for the original creator, and if that person or the people put in place to ensure his or her legacy are okay with it, then the 'millions' of fans around the world should quit their bitching.

For example. Was I 'happy' with the end reveal of Bane's motives in TDKR? Not particularly. But I understand enough to know that this is Nolan's vision, that alternate realities and elsewheres stories exist. He was 'chosen' to make the movie and he was 'chosen' to assemble the scriptwriters and to work with them. It wasn't my job.

If the argument was based on the quality of Abrams' work as a director, meaning the actual coaching of the actors, the set designs, those kind of choices, then the argument works.
#Valkob4Life
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

I have to admit, I have a lot less respect for Abrams after "Star Trek Into Darkness." It was a fairly meaningless ploy for the attention of classic Trekkies by combining and rehashing "Space Seed" and "Wrath of Khan," and then changing things for no reason. (My complaints about "Star Trek (2009)" are fewer, but in short, I found the villain less-than-compelling and some of Abrams' changes to the universe puzzling and unnecessary.) Of course, my opinion of Abrams wasn't helped any by the ending of "Lost."

Having said that, I lost track of the EU after the NJO, and I wasn't disappointed to do so. The NJO was an extraordinarily long, fairly disappointing tangent from an otherwise delightful library. I have no expectation that I would enjoy the Legacy books, or anything that takes place (chronologically) after the NJO. So, while I am disappointed that the "Legends" have been mostly invalidated, I have no burning desire to see them continued.

I do have two things to say in Disney's favor:
1. Abrams isn't the only director they've hired. Rian Johnson has been hired to direct Episode VIII, and possibly Episode IX. He's well-known for making very high-quality films (even if they're not my usual cup of tea), not to mention more than a few great episodes of "Breaking Bad." Gareth Edwards (of the most recent "Godzilla" movie) has been hired for the first spinoff. Even if you don't like Abrams, chances are, you'll like at least some of the new films.

2. Disney merely invalidated the books, comics, and games as written. They didn't erase the characters, and they didn't erase the options. Rumors of Mara Jade's appearance in Episode VII, for example, are evidence that they may be willing to use the Expanded Universe in ways that retain the original content, even if they aren't respectful of that content. This doesn't make me happy, necessarily, but we shouldn't assume that all the characters of the EU have ceased to exist.

And if Disney asks Zahn and Stackpole to write more Star Wars books, then I might actually pick up some from the new canon.

Post by Nichalus »

I'm going to come to the defense of JJ. I find his work especially refreshing on the Star Trek reboots.

While I'm a stickler for continuity, you all need to remember that the classic Star Trek series had absolutely no continuity at all. It was just a mishmash of episodes that did not at all mesh, mention or continue in a orderly manner. It wasn't until The Next Generation when a flowing story began.

I particularly liked the way that JJ and the writers meshed Space Seed and Wrath of Khan into one show. You all need to remember than Into Darkness is not only in an alternate timeline as far as story goes, but alot of the audience members weren't even born when the original episode aired, or perhaps never saw a single episode of the Classic shows. Most, I'm sure, had no clue as to the history between James T. Kirk and Khan...with the exception of the extremely vocal Trekkies.

So if anyone should be upset about what JJ did to the Star Trek franchise, it should be me...I watched them when they originally aired, sitting with my Dad. I think that what JJ did was refreshing the franchise for a new age, and generation, audience. Remember when Star Trek first aired, it was actually critically panned by the critics at the time...it bombed. But there was a small faction that saved it and gave Paramount enough interest that they continued making more shows.

I'm not a fanboy of JJ, I never watched a single episode of Lost (shocking I know), but I like his style of directing, he is this generations Spielberg...he bring a fresh look, using modern tech to tell a story in a new way that even I can appreciate.

I am eagerly awaiting to see his vision of the Star Wars Universe and continuing the Saga.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Nichalus wrote:I particularly liked the way that JJ and the writers meshed Space Seed and Wrath of Khan into one show. You all need to remember than Into Darkness is not only in an alternate timeline as far as story goes, but alot of the audience members weren't even born when the original episode aired, or perhaps never saw a single episode of the Classic shows. Most, I'm sure, had no clue as to the history between James T. Kirk and Khan...with the exception of the extremely vocal Trekkies.

So if anyone should be upset about what JJ did to the Star Trek franchise, it should be me...I watched them when they originally aired, sitting with my Dad. I think that what JJ did was refreshing the franchise for a new age, and generation, audience. Remember when Star Trek first aired, it was actually critically panned by the critics at the time...it bombed. But there was a small faction that saved it and gave Paramount enough interest that they continued making more shows.
I wasn't disappointed that he did it, I was disappointed in how he did it. I didn't find a great deal to like about "Into Darkness," in retrospect. It lost a lot of the cerebral, cunning, mastermind side of Khan, in exchange for a super-soldier with legitimate moral motivations (but it wasn't even as interesting as Captain America IN SPACE! might have been). It revitalized the technobabble that everyone claimed to hate in the original shows, but now they love it, because Abrams was directing it (apparently). It even invalidated the need for Starfleet with a handy interstellar transporter.

In short, I think that the Honest Trailer for "Into Darkness" covers the majority of my objections.

I was entertained by the film while I was watching it, but when I compare it to the source material, and examine the plot, writing, and characters, it comes back with some glaring missteps, in my opinion.*

*Not the least of which were all the lens flares.

Post by Nichalus »

Thing is Arch, you can't compare it to the source material, at least the original story, due to the alternate timeline. While the names are the same, the situations are completely different, or skewed, due to the change in history made by Nero. That is what I like about the new movies, while it is Kirk and the Enterprise, it is seen in a new light...some things are changed, in some cases radically, but its just a new take on situations.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Nichalus wrote:Thing is Arch, you can't compare it to the source material, at least the original story, due to the alternate timeline. While the names are the same, the situations are completely different, or skewed, due to the change in history made by Nero. That is what I like about the new movies, while it is Kirk and the Enterprise, it is seen in a new light...some things are changed, in some cases radically, but its just a new take on situations.
Not so with Khan. Khan predates Nero's change to the timeline. Prior to Nero's arrival--prior to Kirk's birth--the new Star Trek is identical to the old Star Trek. The events of Star Trek: Enterprise took place. Zefram Cochrane made first contact with the Vulcans on 5 April 2063. And Khan Noonien Singh was born in the mid-20th century, he ruled a quarter of the world by 1992, and in 1996, he escaped a bad end during the Eugenics Wars by sending the sleeper ship, S. S. Botany Bay, out into unknown space. Up to this point, Khan is unchanged.

Why is it, then, that when Starfleet awakens Khan in alternate-2259, he's such a different character from when Kirk awakens him in original-2267? Did eight years of sleep make that much difference?

This is alternate historical fiction in a fictional universe; some changes make sense (building the Constitution-class so that it more closely matches the Constitution-class refit, or--more specifically--building the Enterprise so that it matches the Enterprise-A... that makes sense, given the daunting weapons they faced in Nero; Spock being more emotional, on account of the destruction of his homeworld, etc.), and some changes don't (removing handles from turbolifts, creating technology impossible even by Star Trek standards, making Khan a notably different character, etc.).

You can't take a timeline, back it up to where it's most profitable for you, say, "Butterfly effect, b&%#@!" and change whatever you want.

Well, you can, but you won't get any glowing praise from me.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I think what happened in the 2009 Star Trek is/was supposed to be akin to what happened in the new X-Men DOFP movie. I just don't think they necessarily explained it as well as they did in DOFP.
#Valkob4Life
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Quick question here, I know many of us love the EU but at the same time there were some many BAD decisions with the EU ( I could go on and on about this), so do we know how many copies of the books were being sold for this to be in such high demand? The last one I can remember being on the NY best seller list was a Zahn novel (Specters of the past/visions of the future maybe) but they might just be trying to "reboot" something that was not pulling in the amount of money they were putting into it.

I read all the Leacy of the Force series with the secret Sith planet and Ben Skywalker and the plot for that was so disjointed and weird. Things are just not adding up and did they just stop the whole series and tried to do one of just the original 3? I think one of our own reviewed the book and said it wasn't worth the $5.99 for the book.

Sorry just trying to see the outrage for this
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Mirrodin2nd wrote:I think what happened in the 2009 Star Trek is/was supposed to be akin to what happened in the new X-Men DOFP movie. I just don't think they necessarily explained it as well as they did in DOFP.
I didn't see that, so you might need to explain. My impression of "Star Trek (2009)" was this: (1) people go back in time, (2) they change things, (3) a new, alternate timeline is formed, branching off from the point at which people arrived in the "past."

From a position of internal consistency, that doesn't given you license to do whatever you want--it limits you to things that ought to have changed from what happened with the future-people. That means that TNG may never happen in the alternate timeline because Picard may never be born, or if he is, the Stargazer incident may not have happened, so he may never become Captain of the Enterprise, or if he does, Q may ignore humanity... etc. However, that does not mean (based on the principles of alternate timelines) that anything preceding the arrival of the future-people should have changed.

The only way you can change everything (the way that Abrams did) is if you argue that Nero and Spock did not travel back in time and create an alternate timeline--but rather, they traveled to an alternate timeline, where their presence had an effect on a history that was already different from the "original."

@Shaggy: I knew I had lost touch with the EU when I came across an author's page on Goodreads, and it said that he was famous primarily for his "many works" in the Star Wars Expanded Universe... and I'd never heard of him. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can guarantee that the EU wasn't making any money off of me in recent years (with the exception of Zahn's works).
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Mirrodin2nd wrote:I'm not sure how you can say that about a movie that hasn't even come out yet. You have no idea what the movie is going to be like, spoiler sites be damned. Until the movie comes out, reserve your judgment. Otherwise you're setting yourself up to not like the movie, when it could very well be a great movie.
Kind of in that same vein of thought Kevin Smith visited the set of Episode VII and gave J.J. very high praise for what he's trying to do with the license. Being a huge nerd himself I don't imagine he would endorse something worse than the prequels so that at least fills me with some confidence that this movie will be good.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Archangel wrote:
Mirrodin2nd wrote:I think what happened in the 2009 Star Trek is/was supposed to be akin to what happened in the new X-Men DOFP movie. I just don't think they necessarily explained it as well as they did in DOFP.
I didn't see that, so you might need to explain. My impression of "Star Trek (2009)" was this: (1) people go back in time, (2) they change things, (3) a new, alternate timeline is formed, branching off from the point at which people arrived in the "past."

From a position of internal consistency, that doesn't given you license to do whatever you want--it limits you to things that ought to have changed from what happened with the future-people. That means that TNG may never happen in the alternate timeline because Picard may never be born, or if he is, the Stargazer incident may not have happened, so he may never become Captain of the Enterprise, or if he does, Q may ignore humanity... etc. However, that does not mean (based on the principles of alternate timelines) that anything preceding the arrival of the future-people should have changed.

The only way you can change everything (the way that Abrams did) is if you argue that Nero and Spock did not travel back in time and create an alternate timeline--but rather, they traveled to an alternate timeline, where their presence had an effect on a history that was already different from the "original."
Here's the gist:

We've seen 3 X-Men movies that deal with events that, assuming they're taking place when the movies came out, happen roughly between 2000-2005. Multiple story arcs, multiple characters died, Jean Grey obtains the Phoenix Force, the summation of all telepathic and telekinetic energy that has ever or will ever exist and almost ends the world, but she is stopped and in the process dies.

Then X-Men First class came out in 2011, set in the 1960s.

X-Men DOFP comes out and is set some amount of time ahead from the first 3 I was talking about. 2 Characters (Magneto and Prof X) realize that the reason why the world has gone to shit (entire world wiped out, apocalyptic stuff, you know) is because one chick (Mystique) assassinates this one dude (Bolivar Trask, Peter Dinklage) back in the 1970s. So they send Wolverine back in time to stop this from happening. Current Mind into Younger Body, not two Wolverines running around. But he has to convince Magneto and Prof X that he's not crazy. After all is said and done, he is successful and reverts back to his original post 3 movies future.

He finds that the world has not gone to shit, and while there are problems, it's not that bad. Also, all those characters who died are still alive, including Jean Grey.

X-Men DOFP says that all those 3 movies happened, but then never did, at the same time.

So what I think was supposed to happen or is the idea behind what happened, is that when Old Spock went through the wormhole, things changed on the same level as DOFP changes.

Admittedly, I'm weak on the "when things happened year wise" with ST, but I think that because of the change, the Seeds episode and Wrath of Khan never happened. But also, things happened in Khan's backstory as well, because look at the dates: I think Khan in ST Into Darkness says he was in a 300 year sleep? Wikipedia is saying that and i remember hearing that number (All this talk of the movies is making me want to watch both again anyway) Assuming he was pulled out in 2259 precisely, that would mean that he was put under sometime in 1959, wouldn't it?
#Valkob4Life
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Also, if I remember right, Pops was kind of big on me watching the original STs since I'd never really seen them. So I like Wrath of Khan more than Into Darkness, but I feel like Cumberbatch is still amazing. I wish he'd gotten better and more dialogue. I'm a dialogue guy.
#Valkob4Life
Renegade Rebel

Post by AnthonyL »

This is not about whether the new movie will be better or not, it is about continuing storylines that many fans, besides yourselves, actually read and like. Michael Stackpole, Aaron Alston, Kathy Tyers, Timothy Zhan, Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta, L. Neil Smith, Brian Daley, A.C. Crispin, Alan Dean Foster, Steve Perry, and many others contributed to the EU which is important to a great many people. Will anyone here help fans of the EU to get the stories back into publication?
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Well, one of the things of those storylines is understanding that everything has an end. I don't know when exactly I stopped reading, I think it was right after I, Jedi came out. But a few months ago, I started to check out what was going on, and whatever this Abeloth thing is and the way that they're going now with the Lost Tribe or something and the Pool of some Force Wordy Thing, it's just too much. It's not interesting to me, at all.

I mean, I liked the Legacy comics, those had an interesting idea to them. But even that was finished. They just started a newer one, but it's not so far gone that it "needs" to be finished.

Things end. It happens. *shrug*
#Valkob4Life
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Mirrodin2nd wrote:So what I think was supposed to happen or is the idea behind what happened, is that when Old Spock went through the wormhole, things changed on the same level as DOFP changes.

Admittedly, I'm weak on the "when things happened year wise" with ST, but I think that because of the change, the Seeds episode and Wrath of Khan never happened. But also, things happened in Khan's backstory as well, because look at the dates: I think Khan in ST Into Darkness says he was in a 300 year sleep? Wikipedia is saying that and i remember hearing that number (All this talk of the movies is making me want to watch both again anyway) Assuming he was pulled out in 2259 precisely, that would mean that he was put under sometime in 1959, wouldn't it?
According to Memory Alpha, "Into Darkness" occurred in alternate-2259, so whether he was pulled out then or the year before, I dunno. I only saw it the one time. "Space Seed" took place in original-2267, and "Wrath of Khan" took place in original-2285, so they shouldn't have happened yet. All that said, there seems to be a consensus that pre-2233 (the arrival of Nero) occurred as established in the original series, so "300 years" is probably a rough approximation.
Mirrodin2nd wrote:Also, if I remember right, Pops was kind of big on me watching the original STs since I'd never really seen them. So I like Wrath of Khan more than Into Darkness, but I feel like Cumberbatch is still amazing. I wish he'd gotten better and more dialogue. I'm a dialogue guy.
Oh, I agree about Benedict Cumberbatch. Man has skills. "Sherlock" is phenomenal.
Mirrodin2nd wrote:whatever this Abeloth thing is and the way that they're going now with the Lost Tribe or something and the Pool of some Force Wordy Thing, it's just too much. It's not interesting to me, at all.
Abeloth! That was the thing I read about on Wookieepedia, and I was like, "Whaaaa...?"

Even so, as weird as some of this stuff gets, don't forget some of those (early-ish) EU novels, the Jedi Prince series. I really liked those as a kid, and then later, I looked at them again, and I was like, "Whaaaa...?"

Anyway. Everyone else is right, Anthony - Disney won't listen to a petition. They'll listen to dollars. If you want the Legends continued, make sure people buy up Disney's supply of the Legends. I do my fair share by purchasing the occasional Timothy Zahn novel, and given that I'm not interested in reading a bunch of the stuff out there now, I don't think I can be asked to do more than that. I wish you luck, though.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Jedi Prince series!

I remember reading up on SPIN the other day and it took me back.

Ah Cumberbatch. I need that guy to be Dr. Strange. Need. Not a big Joaquin Phoenix or Jared Leto fan. Though Leto's cocaine binge in Lord of War was excellent.

The 300 years thing is a quote that someone uses, so it's possible that they're being vague.
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

AnthonyL wrote:This is not about whether the new movie will be better or not, it is about continuing storylines that many fans, besides yourselves, actually read and like. Michael Stackpole, Aaron Alston, Kathy Tyers, Timothy Zhan, Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta, L. Neil Smith, Brian Daley, A.C. Crispin, Alan Dean Foster, Steve Perry, and many others contributed to the EU which is important to a great many people. Will anyone here help fans of the EU to get the stories back into publication?
I don't read the EU but I signed the petition anyway to support my friends who do.

"Certified Local Madman"

Post by Darkheyr »

Funny, I really, really enjoyed the second Abrams-Trek Film. The first one was a slap in the face in my eyes - it waltzed through Star Trek as I knew it and for one completely ignored setting logic, second barely explained several items such as why a fricken mining ship was able to tear through warships, and third invalidated the entirety of the TV shows for no good reason by blowing up Vulcan.

... why? Seriously, why? Why Vulcan?

The second movie felt more like a nod of respect to earlier Trek-Iterations. I may have some critique left (a portable transwarp beaming device, from Earth to Qo'noS, srsly?) but all in all, it was a good movie. If Abrams' Star Wars Movie will follow the second trek movie in approach, I'm not overly concerned.

Especially with Disney at the helm. They did good with Marvel.