The Sojourn

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

The Sojourn

Post by Barringer »

OOC: This is the Force Odyssey thread. The OOC thread is here

IC:

Daric Rydell ran his hand along the hull of the aptly named Sojourn, a Consular-class space cruiser modified with the Charger c70 retrofit. He had just finished going over the provisioning of the vessel for its journey. For the purposes of the mission, the vessel was modified to have many of its functions attended to by the ship's computer and the on-board droids. The salon pod was modified to function as a meditation chamber. It was equipped with hundreds of books, scrolls, and data cubes containing thousands of essays and treatises written on the Force in the twenty-five thousand year history of the Jedi Order, as well as other documents written by known Force sects such as the Teepo Paladins and the Altisian Jedi.

Daric himself was prepared for the journey, wearing the traditional attire of the Jedi Order: a caf colored cloak over tan robes. His lightsaber was clipped to his belt, along with a pouch in which he carried various field gear such as a comlink, a holoprojector, and a rebreather. The Sojourn was fully stocked and ready for its journey, and now just needed its passengers.
"I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream."
False Dichotomy

Re: The Sojourn

Post by Beorht »

Velok came around the prow of the Consular and approached Rydell. As usual, he wore Jedi robes, a habit he'd acquired while impersonating a Jedi Knight seventy years ago.

Also as usual - he'd been practicing for weeks - his Force signature was of the Light Side, should someone delve into the Force enough to find it. Not fully Light, but mostly. The difference was intentional. This was one of the very few bits of Sith magic he'd managed or bothered to learn. He had a gift with it, or so he'd been told, but he really didn't care much for it. Strange, for one of his background.

Bottom line, though: he was indistinguishable from a Jedi on the fringe. As it should be.

"I got the beer, Rydell," the Whiphid growled, laughing. He didn't drink, and he didn't think Rydell did either. Wasn't sure, though. Even though he'd been the one to wake the Jedi from his morichro trance, he still didn't know him that well. For now, they were united by a passionate interest in discovery.
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

Shaden Novar whistled as he made his way around the space port, he searched for the Consular Cruiser that was to be the vessel of the Odyssey he would soon take part in. Though he did not yet enter either the temple on Onderon or the City of the Jedi Shaden had registered with the Jedi Order through various comlink transmissions. Not long ago he received a transmission from this Daric Rydell along with many other Knights, Shaden decided to leave his sector on this journey for many reasons. Knowledge allowed a man to grow, especially a Jedi, also it would give him experience and wisdom other things very important for any Jedi to have.

Finally Shaden found the correct hangar, with a little help from the force, and walked over to the boarding ramp. He spotted two jedi, he smiled brightly at them. "I'm Shaden Novar, It's a pleasure to meet you both." He wore simple jedi robes and carried a back pack with everything he owned inside it. His friendly smile gave off a warm welcome to the two Jedi.
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
but awesome at the same time
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts

Post by Barringer »

"Daric Rydell," he said, as he nodded in acknowledgment to Shaden Novar. He raised his left hand to his cleanly shaven chin, as though deep in thought.

"There's plenty of rooms available," he finally said after a few moments, lowering his arm back to his side. "You're free to whichever one you like. I've had the salon pod converted into a meditation chamber. You will most likely find me in there during our journey," Rydell finished with a slight tilt of his head to bow, and walked up the boarding ramp. He made his way to the meditation chamber; once inside, he sat himself cross-legged on a cushion and began his meditation.

Rydell began by clearing his mind to break down the barrier between self and the Force. He began to perceive the eddies and whorls of the Force, patterns of threads and vectors that bound together the universe. On the peripheral of his vision, he saw his own aura; it was a bright, constant light with a slight purple tint. He narrowed his focus to the cellular level, then the molecular, then the atomic, and finally the subatomic. Time slowed to a crawl; after a few seconds, or a few years, he restored his focus to its regular level.
"I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok watched Rydell go. Interesting fellow, that. But anyone would be messed up if they'd just survived Order 66. Rydell seemed to be taking it well, so far. He turned back to the next expedition member. Ahh...he'd been waiting for this one. Velok's passion for information was matched only by his loyalty to out-of-the-way places, and many of his sources had filled him in on how the Cassaran Star Republic's recent history had gone.

"Shaden Novar? I think I've heard of you. Something about the Cassaran Republic. The name's Velok. Not technically much of a Jedi, but I'll do my best."
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

Shaden's smile broadened, impressed he addressed Velok. "Pleasure to meet you Velok, most people have never even heard of the Cassaran Sector never-mind the republic and my former allegiance to it. Either you have a lot of spare time on your hands or you have some kind of connection to the outer rim." Shaden began to walk into the ship and the whiphid kept stride.

"You have me at a disadvantage then my friend. You know about me yet I know nothing of you, or master Rydell. I suppose over the course of our journey we will better acquaint ourselves."
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok barked a laugh. "Correct on both counts. I've spent most of my centuries in the Outer Rim, and I have a passion for information. I keep tabs on most governments.

"As for me, well...I'm hardly your average Jedi. Some might not consider me a Jedi at all." He shrugged. "I've been interested in the way different groups use the Force since, oh, before you were born. Probably before your grandfather was born, for that matter. When Rydell suggested the idea, I was enthralled." He was walking a very thin line here. He realized all of a sudden that he wanted these Jedi to know who and what he was. Their reactions would be...interesting...should they find out that one of their number wasn't a vaguely Jedi Knight but a Master of the Dark Side. It wasn't as if he had any ill will towards them. In fact, his designs for this expedition and his reasons for coming along were exactly the same as theirs.

Besides, for the most part he hadn't lied at all. For example, everything he'd just told Shaden was patently true.

Post by Barringer »

Rydell finished his meditation aboard the vessel, having inadvertently heard the conversation outside through the Theran Force-Listening technique. He had learned the technique years ago on Nam Chorios; after he had achieved knighthood, he began a similar journey to the one he was about to undertake, one that was punctuated by the outbreak of the Clone Wars. In Rydell's mind, he was about to continue that journey; the fact that the old Jedi Order had fallen and Rydell's faith in its methods had been shaken only served to reinforce his desire to continue it.

Did this New Jedi Order correct the old's mistakes? Rydell didn't know, but he desired to expand his knowledge of the Force, in a philosophical sense, to the epistemological limit. His brief studies with the Matukai before the Clone Wars had shown him that even those not considered "Force sensitive" could touch the Force; could anyone do so with proper training, regardless of Force sensitivity or midi-chlorian count? Was the Jedi training flawed, or restrictive, in this regard?
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok boarded the corvette with his bags in tow. He sensed Rydell; the man had a unique presence in the Force, and better fine-point control than most his age. Then again, he'd been taught by the best. Sometime, they'd have to sit down and start trading techniques and insights.

After putting his bags away, he closed the hatch. Everyone who was coming was already aboard.
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

Shaden settled down in a bunk and unpacked his small ammount of belongings, mostly a few spare clothes. He called into the cooridors, "So when are we leaving?"
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok came around the corner. For a Whiphid, he wasn't really that large - but his head nearly grazed the very tall ceiling anyway. "We're leaving now," he said, some of the confusion still in his voice. "Not sure where Rydell went, but preflight is done and I'm just about to take off."

He scratched his head with a claw. "The plan was to visit the Baran Do on Dorin first...you game, or would you prefer something else? Korunnai, Jal Shey...Zeison Sha? They hate Jedi but they're the best telekinetics the galaxy has ever seen. Your call. I'm not particular."
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

As Velok and Shaden spoke, the door to the opposite room opened and two figures - a man clad in the traditional brown robe of the Jedi Order, and a teen girl clad in a red and white jumpsuit - strode out. They walked across the corridor and stopped just outside the door.

The man, Jedi Knight Aldar Melron, spoke:

"I would like to visit the Baran Do. I have studied them a little." He smiled. "Pardon my manners. I am Aldar Melron, and this is my apprentice, Mira Keen." The teen girl gave a short nod at both. "We will be joining you on this journey."
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

Shaden offered a warm smile to the pair before adressing the group. "I'm just here for the free food and teachings you take us wherever you want my friend." Shaden said with a lighthearted laugh. While certainly not a Master yet Shaden did have substantial training in the force and had put that training to use multiple times. He held no fear of the threat any of the groups they would soon visit could pose. In fact he felt his diplomatic nature yet warrior background would go a long way in negotiating with these groups. He was anxious to begin the journey..
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

After greetings and so forth, they set off for Dorin. The Charger c70, an old ship in any case, had been further refit so that, if necessary, only two people could fly it; and after all they probably wouldn't need the guns.

If they did, Velok would find himself in an interesting position.

DOR'SHAN
DORIN

Dusty bruise-purple clouds rolled overhead as the group walked the streets, between great domes and trapezoids and ziggurats. A few Kel Dor grinned when they saw the Jedi team: Velok's breath mask was more than three times the size of anyone else's. Not many Whiphids came to Dorin.

He thought back to the quick briefing he'd given the others while they were being processed by Customs.

"The Baran Do predate the Jedi. They were known in Forcer circles for their abilities with weather prediction, Alter Environment, electromagnetic energy manipulation and even a form of Force Lightning, though not one associated with the Dark Side. Jedi Master Plo Koon was known to use it.

"They are not required to train in martial techniques. If they do train, they can be more than capable with a wooden staff. When we enter the temple, someone will be waiting - a high-level student, probably Jedi Knight equivalent, wearing white robes covered in red and black dotted lines. One of you will need to fight her; I will take the role of the Master and will pay no attention whatsoever. It's tradition, you see - once it was common among martial arts schools, even lightsabre duelling schools. You must win the fight, or at least acquit yourself well, for us to be allowed to train with their Masters. Leave your lightsabre with one of us. The fight will probably be empty-hand.

"A word of caution. These techniques can be dangerous. As can the Baran Do themselves. Most Kel Dor consider them eccentrics and they are largely ignored, but they have not survived twenty-six thousand years and two Jedi Purges by being weak. They contacted the New Jedi Order only a few years ago; they're friendly to us."

(OOC: For a description of the temple, see here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Baran_Do_temple )

They passed the gates and outbuildings without seeing anyone; the main ziggurat loomed ahead. They walked between the black walls and the white pillars. and found themselves confronted.

Inside the atrium, a round stone platform protruded from the floor by about three feet. It was large enough to serve as a sparring ring - which was not far from its intended purpose. On it stood a robed Baran Do. "Greetings," he said in clear Basic, focusing on Velok. Velok offered a semi-shallow bow, which the Baran Do returned.

"If you received our message, you know why we are here."

The Kel Dor inclined his head fractionally. "But although the message came from the Jedi Temple on Onderon, we have no proof that you are, in fact, the Jedi who set out from there."

Velok whuffled. "We quite understand. What proof would satisfy you?"

The Kel Dor didn't seem to move, but two more Sages, similarly robed stepped out from hidden doors. "More than one Dark Jedi has sought to learn from us over the years. Only a Jedi or their dark equivalent would be able to satisfactorally complete a...sparring match...with one of us; only a Jedi would be able to do so without emanating the Dark Side in any way. If they were to do so, my brothers here would sense it - and of course events would precipitate. You understand.

"So. Who thinks highly enough of their self-control that they would be willing to fight me?"

Post by Barringer »

Rydell stepped forward slowly onto the dais, opposite the Baran Do sage. Wordlessly, he adopted an Echani fighting stance, inviting the sage to initiate the battle. The sage complied by charging Rydell; Rydell sidestepped the tackle, and pressed forward to put the sage into a chokehold. The sage swung his elbow into Rydell's gut—the blow was supplemented by a surge of Force energy—temporarily paralyzing his diaphragm. Rydell doubled over, gasping for breath. The sage followed up on the blow with a kick across Rydell's face that sent him sprawling across the dais.

Prone on the floor, Rydell used the Force to push air into his lungs through his breath mask, pushing himself up as he did so. As the sage approached, Rydell leapt forward preternaturally fast, striking the sage across the side of his head with his fist. Rydell followed up with a sweeping kick to take the sage's legs out from under him. Rydell placed his foot onto the sage's throat.
Last edited by Barringer on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

OOC/ I'm going to hurry this along just a little, so do what you want, get settled in, etc. Basically write whatever you want about anything. We'll be here for about three IC weeks, I think, though of course that's open to debate.

IC/ Most real fights, Velok remarked to himself, ended within a minute. This was no exception in that sense. He made a mental note of the human's fighting style. Echani, if he wasn't mistaken. Some quality training there.

It would have been impolite to cheer; indeed, Velok had ostensibly paid no attention whatsoever. Without fanfare, the Sages ushered the little group of Jedi down the temple's stone corridors. Velok found himself alone in a somewhat smaller room with the headmaster.

"It would be rude, of course," Velok said, "to simply come and demand your secrets. Please know that we intend to honour our earlier communication." He refrained from suggesting that the Baran Do might want to learn from them: while he didn't doubt that was the case, in this situation the Jedi were the supplicants just as much as they were the challengers. It would be the height of rudeness to show up at another school and declare you had come to teach the Masters. "If any of your students are curious, of course we would be happy to arrange demonstrations." In less diplomatic terms, the agreement: a simple exchange of knowledge, one to which the Baran Do could no object. Not considering how few years had passed since they contacted the Jedi Order.

"Of course, there may be some." The headmaster gave a Kel Dor approximation of a grin - something Velok only recognized because he'd spent the hyperspace trip memorizing Kel Dor expressions. "In fact, I expect such...exchanges...may be taking place as we speak."

Velok offered a slight bow. "Thank you for your hospitality. I myself have a few questions; perhaps one of your instructors could help me?"

"I would be honored to answer whatever questions you have, myself." The old Kel Dor grinned again. "Your courtesy is appreciated, Master Velok." They moved across the room to take chairs facing each other. "I think you and I remember a more civilized age. Now. What would you like to know?"

Velok steepled his four-clawed hands and rested his massive chin on them. He probably knew more about what the Baran Do could do than anyone in the galaxy short of the Baran Do themselves - though he remembered a rumor that some living Jedi Master or other had trained with them. He could already predict weather, create lightning and so forth; and while he had no doubt he would find their philosophy interesting, he would make sure that particular discussion branched out of more practical ones. "I have heard," he said, "that the Sages can block scanners..."

"My dear Master Velok, let me enlighten you."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Time passed quickly for Kalo-Kaa.

The massive Kartanin wasn't a Jedi, but he was a Lightsider. A Patriot, to be precise: a Force-user in the service of the Jade Empire. He'd been Dejaa Dite's bodyguard during Operation Ghost Hammer, head of security for the royal children, and lately a guard to the Empress herself. His current assignment, however, might be the most important. At least that's what Her Majesty had said.

His job was twofold. First, to participate in this expedition, learn and write down as much as he could, and bring it back to the Patriots. Second, to watch Velok. The Whiphid and the Empress had worked together in the past, and Her Majesty would far prefer to keep an eye on what he and these Jedi were learning. Actual surveillance wasn't necessary; it was more general than that. Kalo knew, deep down, that he couldn't beat the Whiphid should the need arise; but physically, at least, they were equals. Kalo knew that Velok knew his purpose here.

And Kalo also knew that Velok wasn't a Jedi. Wasn't even a Lightsider. He would keep that secret - the Whiphid wasn't a bad person, as far as he or the Empress could tell, and probably didn't mean the other Jedi any harm - but he felt as though it gave him an extra measure of responsibility.

He settled down to training with the Baran Do. They were tough for spindly creatures. He liked that. Furthermore, he liked them because they had spent most of their history mocked as deluded antiques, and didn't care. Just in general, he liked being around them.

"So tell me about the Patriots."

He'd been open with everyone about his own allegiance, and his first purpose for being here. Sitting with a Baran Do combat instructor, with whom he'd just exchanged staff techniques, he was about to delve into it even further.

"The Patriots," he said after a moment, "are loyal to the Jade Empire above the Force. Most of us come from worlds that got wrecked over the past few years. We're survivors."

"And protectors, yes?"

"Yes. Our worlds are a mess, but they're our worlds." He left out mention of Kartan itself, or the Dominion. His home now was the Jade Empire. Period.

The Baran Do nodded. "And your priority, then, is to learn better ways to defend? Well, we can certainly accommodate that. There are unique applications for hassat-durr that may work well with your ethos, your circumstances."

Kalo grunted. "I'd like that."

"So. Let's get back to what we were doing before, with the hassat-durr." The Sage pulled out the training apparatus: a metal ball nested in a depression on the top of a disc, with electric leads running to an armband. Kalo put it on. Over the past couple of days he'd learned how to make the ball spin, jump, fall and so forth - but all those were simply failures, and they would get him killed. Success would mean a certain perfect levitation and spin, and he hadn't got there yet.

In time.

Meanwhile, in a different room, Velok was doing something similar, if more advanced. He'd figured out the trick to that training machine early this morning, and now they were moving on to testing the various uses of hassat-durr. For his convenience, the headmaster had provided a brain scanner - probably on loan from a nearby hospital - and a pair of shock shackles in his size. More than once, Velok caught himself eyeing the scanner warily. He buckled himself into the shock shackles and turned them on. The headmaster watched.

"Commencing test one," Velok said. He pulled his hands sharply apart, and before he knew it he was on his knees, eyes closed. He'd set it pretty high, on purpose, so he could see if there were any gradient effects.

"All right, we've established that they're on. Commencing test two." He entered the hassat-durr state of mind and felt the energy collect in his body. Then he overrode his instincts and wrenched his wrists apart. No shock. None at all. With a thought, he unlocked them and put them on a shelf. "Fascinating," he said. "And you say it will work on implants, including security implants? Boost comlink range? Attract lightning?"

The headmaster chuckled. "Normally we try not to attract lightning, Master Velok."

"Of course." He laughed. He'd almost given too much away there. Fortunately, the headmaster couldn't read his face. "Now. This brain scanner..."

"Yes, there's a way to make it register zero electrical activity in your brain. Somewhat esoteric, but it does have its uses."
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Aldar and Mira had split up to study their particular interests. Mira had studied the staff techniques of the Baran Do and learned much in the space of a few days. When not practising the techniques, she had been studying hassat-durr alongside Aldar, but she was not at all as far ahead as her Master.

Aldar had exchanged philosophies, meditation techniques, combat techniques, and Force techniques with some of the Sages. In return, they were teaching him the finer points of hassat-durr. He had learned quickly. He had also learned that he liked the Baran Do and their philosophy.

Whenever there was time, Aldar continued Mira's training. She had become quite proficient in Soresu, but was still some time away from mastering the technique. When Aldar was not available, Mira explored the temple.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Another five days, and hassat-durr was in the bag for a very happy Sergeant Kalo-Kaa-S'sant. It would be rude and probably not allowed to make holorecordings of this, but he wrote everything down very carefully, conscious that he'd have to teach this when he got back.

The plan, so far as he was aware, was to have Patriots trade off in shifts. After Dorin and maybe one or two others, he'd be replaced by Colonel Karak Ror for a few months and go back to the Jade Empire; probably to Loki Station or the Shang Ra'la. He imagined he'd probably teach the Empress and Commander Kol-Rekali, and some Level Three and Four classes. Then he'd trade off again and come back to the expedition. He hoped, very much, that it would work.

"You will be here for another week or two at least, I understand," his instructor said. Fila Gant was his name; probably about the same age as Kalo but considerably stronger in the Force. Good man. Though he still spent much of his time teaching other Baran Do, he'd thrown himself into teaching Kalo with an admirable zeal. They'd interspersed that with staff and unarmed fighting and some bits of Jedi lore that Kalo knew, though truly, Gant's skillset was pretty complete. He wasn't interested in the lightsabre, or Kalo would already have started teaching him.

"I think so," Kalo said.

The Sage folded his arms and eyed him. "What I say, I say because I trust you, Kalo. There is something I want to teach you. There are those who don't wish this taught to outsiders. They fear, in this strange universe of ours, the idea might get out that we teach such things, and we'd be inundated with the wrong sort of student. I believe your heart is in the right place."

Kalo said nothing.

"There is a more...hazardous way to use the principles of hassat-durr. As a Master, I know it; I'm honestly not sure your connection to the Force is strong enough, but I know your will. That should be enough. There is a way to channel a massive amount of electricity from the ground itself, and arc it... Ah. I see you've heard something of this technique. It is not what they call Sith Lightning; it does not involve the Dark Side of the Force. Though best used against droids, electronics and so forth, or to 'jump-start' an airspeeder, or a myriad of other uses, it can become a last-ditch weapon if you want it to be so. I repeat, Kalo...many of my fellows do not want us to teach this to your group. Nevertheless, it is my decision that you are morally capable of handling this power, should you be physically and mentally capable of generating it."

"I'm not sure I want it."

"That is why I intend to teach you."

With hassat-durr and ayna-seff behind him, by this point Velok spent most of his time talking with the Master of the Order. He was grateful that the Sith magic was still holding up, and continued to do so even through small uses of the Force. Any really large exertion of power might breach the false Light Side aura, but for now he was safe. From time to time he watched the others train; he nodded to himself as he saw Kalo-Kaa generate an electric spark that left an afterimage when he blinked. The Kartanin thought highly enough of his duty that Velok didn't see any reason to worry. In fact, he felt impressed by how carefully the Sergeant walked the line of deadly killer and Light Side adept. Not every Lightsider could do what the military required, especially as a commando or a bodyguard - and Kalo had been both.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Over the past five days, Aldar and Mira had both advanced exponentially, all but mastering the various techniques of hassat-durr, including the technique of ayna-seff. On the morning of the sixth day, they were summoned by one of the Masters, Dok Tan, whom Aldar had exchanged many techniques with.

They met him in a secluded training room.

"Welcome, friends. Your training in hassat-durr is all but complete. Only one part is missing. The final part of hassat-durr."

For the rest of the day, he instructed Aldar and Mira in drawing lightning from the ground. Mira embraced it immediately, but Aldar was wary at first. Only when he realized that it did not involve the Dark Side, did he embrace it with the same fervour as Mira.

When they left for their quarters that night, they were both exhausted. But they had mastered it.

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

“Where will you go next, Master Velok?”

The old fogies – Velok and Master of the Order Kil Borok – walked the streets together each morning, though when a storm came in, as was the case today, they delayed it until the afternoon. The geometric buildings around them, the purple tinge to the air, no longer seemed so odd to Velok.

“I’m not positive,” he said at last. “Consensus seems to be Dathomir.” Though sneak-slash-impersonate-slash-bribing his way past the Empire to get there would be difficult to say the least.

“The Witches. I’ve heard a little about them. A pre-technological society, yes?”

“Yes. They sing and chant and dance and gesture to use what they call ‘magic.’ They’re also a female-dominated society and may try to enslave Melron as a husband for someone. I expect his Padawan may have to claim him as hers. This should be interesting.”

Borok laughed. “Everything is ‘interesting’ to you.”

“True. I do use that word too much. On the other hand, Master Borok…“ Velok smiled under his mask. “…I really am interested in almost everything. That’s one reason I agreed to come on this mission. I’m expected to live another hundred years at least; I have plenty of time to spare for indulging my curiosities.”

The old Kel Dor nodded thoughtfully. “A lonely hundred years, I expect.”

Velok let out a slow breath, the relaxing effect of which was largely overcome by the gas mask. “My species’ homeworld is owned by the Sith Empire. Those of us who live off Toola are generally criminals, mercenaries and so forth.”

Borok said nothing. Velok shrugged. “In many ways, yes, you have a point. Long life is a mixed blessing.”

“How long do your people intend to stay here?”

“We’ve been here, what, two weeks now? Perhaps another few days, no more. I know that Kalo-Kaa, for one, is greatly enjoying his time here. He’ll be able to bring a great deal of aid to his comrades in the Unknown Regions. I suspect this means more to him than it does to most of us, me included.” He sighed. They turned a corner and found themselves back at the gates of the Baran Do compound. “I was concerned when I found out he and some of the others are learning Electric Judgment. Actually, come to think of it, I still am.” Exterminating his fellow travelers if they fell to the Dark Side would not be the most pleasant of duties.

“Let your mind be at ease, my friend.” Borok shrugged. “In the end, they already know how to kill; just because they’ve learned another neutral technique that can be twisted in that direction is no guarantee that they will fall. I’ve used the technique for years, should the need arise. It is perfectly safe. Perhaps this is why you yourself have not asked to learn it?”

Velok shrugged, held up a three-clawed hand, and made a spark jump between his fingers. The Sith magic he used would continue to mask his Force use as Light-side, but only up to a point. If he’d been required to use the Force in any truly major way, Borok would have sensed his true allegiance. “I can do it already, Master Borok. Then again, I’ve been on my path for almost two centuries, and at this point I trust myself with power like that. But you’re probably right. They should be fine with knowing this. It is not, after all, of the Dark Side.”
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

OOC/ Anyone who still has Baran Do stuff to do might want to post it as in hindsight, or something like that. *shrug* We’ve got a lot of stops left…
Everyone please take a moment to read this over…
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dathomir
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Witches_of_Dathomir

IC/ After three weeks on Dorin – long enough for everyone to learn something of interest, and for the Jedi Order to improve its relationship with the Sages – the Sojourn finally lifted off again, bound for Dathomir.

They’d picked up a new traveler, too. There might have been more, except most Dorin couldn’t really handle the constant demands of wearing a breath mask; Plo Koon had been an exception. The new traveler actually replaced one: an unmarked Jade Empire transport had arrived, with a white-haired human female in it; she replaced Kalo-Kaa, who returned to the Unknown Regions to teach what he’d learned from the Baran Do. They and others would continue to trade off for the duration of the expedition.

For his part, Velok approved of the new crewmember. A reformed Darksider of some power, Commander Brembla Kol-Rekali carried herself like a soldier when she wasn’t leaning on a wooden staff. Velok refrained from telling her that he’d been the one to involve her husband in a rather dubious incident.

In any case, off they went to Dathomir. The planet had been in Imperial hands for many years, but the garrison was limited and the Xen’Chi war had been a greater priority. A handful of travelers had slipped past the Empire recently. Getting a Charger c70 through would be a unique feat.

A feat that Velok took great pleasure in accomplishing. The piloting, though important, was the least of the factors involved. The right information, he firmly believed, could solve any problem.

Velok picked a high-walled canyon that bordered desert on one side and forest on the other, not many miles from a large town. Once down, and well inside the canyon, the Sojourn’s systems were deactivated immediately to avoid detection; then Velok, Kol-Rekali and some others pulled out two hundred yards of sensor-baffle netting and draped it over the little cruiser.

That being done, the expedition set out on foot. Less than an hour later, they exited the canyon and found themselves on a bluff overlooking a rough-flowing river. On the other side of the river, a town sprawled out across a clearing.

“The Red Hills Clan,” Velok said. “They will have been made aware of our presence already; I am surprised we have not yet encountered their sentries.”

“Oh, they’re definitely aware of us,” Brembla said, somewhat grimly. She leaned on the staff and pulled back her hood. Her short hair was white before her time, and her body not nearly as healthy as it might have been. But here on Dathomir, where the Force made the air nearly sparkle, she felt alive.

She’d been the logical choice. In fact, she’d nearly forced the Empress into this. Not because she wanted to, but because it was best for a woman to be in a position of seniority if this expedition was to get results, and because Brembla’s training had been Dathomiri in origin. Granted, she’d learned from a Nightsister; but in subjective time, she’d been free of the Dark Side for decades. If anyone in the galaxy had a chance of persuading the Witches of Dathomir to teach their abilities to men, it was Brembla Kol-Rekali.

“And if I’m right,” she finished, “they’ll make themselves known when we get to the river.”

She set off down the slope towards a rope-and-log bridge, keeping her eyes and mind moving. Velok had agreed for her to act as the senior in this mission; matriarch, in a sense. As predicted, a pair of middle-aged women strode out across the bridge to greet her. Brembla decided to let them speak first. She spoke both Basic and Paecean, though the latter was rusty; whichever they used, she would use.

To her relief, they spoke Basic, albeit oddly accented.

“You came from offworld,” one remarked.

“We did, sister,” Brembla said. “As a daughter of Allya, I request your hospitality for myself and the males with me. They are Jedi, as am I.” She tried to get a read on their faces, but without much success.

“For what purpose have you come?” the other asked.

“The Jedi request the privilege of learning from you.”

“And they could not learn our ways from you?”

“What is one teacher to a dozen?” Brembla countered, adjusting her grip on her walking stick. “And they are worthy students. I will be responsible for their conduct, of course. We have journeyed far to seek your knowledge, sisters.”

The two witches exchanged unfathomable looks. “Very well, sister. You and your males are welcome to our hospitality. But as for your request, for that, you must speak with our clan mother.”

Brembla waved the group in. They crossed the bridge together, and settled into a large hut that must have been reserved for guests – either that, or some of the men had been evicted for them. In any case, while the Jedi settled in, Brembla went to visit the clan mother in her home. She returned a couple of hours later.

“Your teachers will come for you in the morning,” she said, and promptly went to sleep.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

The Household Guard assault transport, an expensive sensor-stealthed model, attracted no notice as it slipped through the Dathomir system. It was fully crewed - pilot, copilot and gunner - and the rear compartment held a fourth, wrapped in a combat arms suit and an orbital insertion pod. The transport skimmed the tenuous upper layers of the atmosphere for the briefest time possible. It was already accelerating away when the rear compartment opened and the pod fell free.

Inside, Sgt. Fadin Kurn monitored the pod's descent on helmet HUD. As the altimeter scrolled, the pod's tumbling fall evened out until her feet were oriented towards the rapidly approaching ground. Thick ablative shielding started to turn red and burn away, making the pod an artificial meteor that streaked across the sky towards the Red Hills. Between the pod's insulation and her suit's cooling systems, she felt none of the scorching heat of reentry.

At a predetermined altitude, the pod blew apart, sending Kurn pinwheeling. Pieces of red-hot ablative fountained away; they would land in the rapidly approaching desert. She controlled her body shape and orientation and triggered the hoverpack. Her fall began to slow, with none of the punishing jerk the backup parachute would have exerted.

Still blinking from the adrenaline high, Kurn touched down on a bluff near the mouth of a canyon. The suit's augmented joints took what was left of the impact.

She felt Kol-Rekali. The older woman had been one of her mentors in the Patriots, and they had something of a connection. Not a full Master-Apprentice bond, but enough. Her sensors came online with a thought, channeled through a ComTac implant at the base of her skull. Not far away, serious IR signatures showed the presence of a rancor herd, humanoids, and campfires. To work off the adrenaline, she started to jog. 'Jogging' in a combat arms suit meant that she hit thirty miles an hour without breaking a sweat. Her boots left deep gouges in the loose red dirt, which made finding purchase a little tricky. It got better when she hit the tree line.

Visible on sensors long before eyesight, the rancor carried a witch. A sentry, and strong in the Force. Kurn stopped running and waited for the witch.

“State your business here, offworlder.”

Kurn removed her helmet. The skullcap covered her long red hair – not ideal for this suit, but she was loathe to cut it – but let her gray skin feel the air. The witch blinked. Even for an offworlder, Kurn was distinctive. “I bear a message for Brembla Kol-Rekali.”

“Are you a Jedi?”

“No.”

“You have magic.”

“The Force? Yes, I do. She was one of my teachers.”

“Come.” The rancor turned and stumped through the woods; Kurn slipped the helmet back on and followed, matching the creature’s speed. The trees opened to reveal a large village, with so many IR signatures that Kurn disabled that HUD overlay. Dismounting, the witch led Kurn through the sentries and the tents to where Brembla sat, talking with a similarly white-haired but much older woman. She looked up as Kurn approached. “Fadin,” she said with a smile. “What brings you here?” But beneath that smile, Kurn sensed unease. They both knew a galaxy-crossing courier didn’t come cheap. Kurn removed her helmet, nodded to the stoic old woman, then refocused on Brembla. “Ma’am, I need to speak with you in private. There’s been an incident.”

“Of course. Please excuse me, Clan mother.”

The old woman nodded her assent, and Brembla led Kurn to an empty tent. Eavesdropping could be enhanced with the Force, and details could be lost in telepathy – not one of Kurn’s strengths, anyways. Fortunately, there was another way.

Kurn’s ComTac linked with Brembla’s, and subvocal communication clicked on. They could now converse in absolute silence.

”Ma’am, the resurrection of Lyn Beorht was a fraud.” She watched Brembla’s face go gray, almost as gray as Kurn’s Decuri skin. ”He was a Croke illusionist. He’s been imprisoned with a ysalamir that Engel procured. I’m sorry, ma’am.”

“Thank you, Fadin. I suppose I needed to know. My husband...”
Something cold and hard entered Brembla’s eyes. ”Velok. He played us all. Does he know that the Croke was captured?”

“Not that we know of, and the Empress requests that you do not confront him.”

“Requests?”

“Yes, ma’am. Requests.”

Brembla sighed and seemed to crumple, leaning on her staff as if about to pass out. ”So be it. I assume that meteor was you?”

“It was. She requests that I remain with you as an aide for the remainder of this operation. After Dathomir, I will return with you unless further orders come in by normal channels.”

“All right.”
Brembla paused, searched Kurn’s face. ”I suppose you have orders to refrain from confronting Velok also?”

“I do.”
She’d known and respected Lyn Beorht – and anyone who messed with the Empress messed with the Household Guard. This Velok had few friends in the Unknown Regions these days.

“I had to check. We’ve been here almost two weeks now, and I’ve seen him in action. He’s more than either of us could take alone.”

“That was my understanding too.”

“Very well.”
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok came back that night from a hard day's training. Once he'd gotten past the somewhat unfamiliar skein of words and tunes and gestures that the witches used to manipulate the Force, their techniques were stylish, accessible and in some cases rather useful. He had no doubt most of the party would find them fascinating; for his part, they were mostly below him, and he picked them up easily. Granted, some of the subtleties were probably escaping him, but by and large, he wasn't interested.

There was, however, one very interesting Dathomiri Force power he'd heard of - but these ones couldn't provide it.

He ducked into the communal hut. Brembla was already back, and some of the others. And one new person, a red-haired, gray-skinned humanoid girl with angular red lines tattooed on her face, who focused on him the moment he entered. She wore black uniform fatigues, without insignia of any kind. Her bearing was military, and she carried a Makashi lightsabre. There was really only one possibility.

Velok bowed slightly. “Patriot.”

After a second’s pause, she nodded back. “Velok, I presume.”

“I am. And you?”

“Sergeant Fadin Kurn.”

“Your assignment?”

“Aide.”

“Ah.”

He’d told his trainer that he wished to meditate alone, and that night, he set out. The Force, amplified by this planet, hummed through him as he ran, increasing his stamina and speed. Only once he was a few miles away from the Red Hills clan did he drop the mask of Sith magic that he’d been using for months. The sheer relief – and the lack of need to keep his Force use minimal – prompted him to run faster. Miles of trees blurred by as he homed in on the Nightsister clan. It took him several hours to get there.

Back in the Red Hills camp, miles away, Brembla twitched. A faint thread of the Dark Side…some distance away. Nightsisters? Possible. Or maybe Velok. The Whiphid had to be chafing, pretending to be a Lightsider. She shrugged and went to bed.

They knew he was coming; he was hard to miss. A sentry met him on the bridge. She drew back, and the Dark Side flared around her. Dusky-skinned with a handful of burst blood vessels on her face, she seemed made of blades. They stuck out every which way from her clothing, and she carried a polearm.

“How many males do you have?”

She blinked, mouth open. “Three. You-“

“And do you use the blood trail on all of them? Or are you not strong enough?”

She drew herself up. “All of them!”

Centuries among humanoids let him read her face; centuries of Dark Force experience let him sense the essential truthfulness of what she said. He nodded, decisively, and sealed her fate. “You’ll do, then.”

A massive telekinetic grip closed around her, pinning her almost immobile – arms, legs, mouth. It felt so good to really use the Dark Side again. Maintaining the grip, he flung her over his shoulder and started to run in earnest. They were already starting to follow, and they knew the land.

But this land could benefit them both. The Dark Side was strong here – very strong.

He maximized on his head-start and poured on the speed, stopping briefly to replace the Force grip on her arms and legs with plastic ties so he could devote as much attention as possible to enhancing his foot speed. At this pace, only a rancor could catch him – and smell him, too. That made phantoms impractical and unreliable. He angled towards the desert, with the Nightsister still over his shoulder. It was possible, though he considered it unlikely, that he could scare them off by entering another’s territory.

He stopped, just long enough to talk. At best guess, they had five minutes until the first rancors caught up. “We’re out of screaming range,” he said curtly, loud enough to be heard over the wind. “I’m going to release your mouth. If you use a spell, I will kill you. I want to know one thing, after which I will let you go. Tell me how to make a blood trail. I will know if you lie or omit anything. And do it fast.”

She started talking, babbling. She was tough, but his Whiphid face made him a monster, especially as a kidnapper in the dark. This Nightsister was terrified. He used the Force on his own mind, ensuring that he would remember perfectly. Before she finished, he sensed danger. “Stop. We run again.”

So he ran again, for a long ways, until they had another couple of minutes’ breathing room. Then she finished. When he asked if there was any more, he knew that was all. So he dumped her on the ground, cut her ties with one of her blades, and unstopped her mouth. Already he could hear the rancors again. He wanted – oh, how he wanted – to stay and fight, but there were plenty of Nightsisters and plenty of rancors coming, and he’d prefer a less even contest. Besides; he had what he wanted. Theoretically, he could have ripped the knowledge from her mind, but a few stray impressions – what this or that felt like – were enough. If they weren’t, then he’d come back. But not as himself: as a phantom. He still might. The Nightsisters undoubtedly had other unique abilities.

He got a bit of head-start again, came to a shallow cliff, leapt off and duck-rolled the landing. He roared as if in mortal pain. Then he disappeared from the Force. He’d kept one of the Nightsister’s blades; cutting his palm, then a dreadlock, he left blood and hair for scent. He pulled a bandage from his belt and wrapped his hand. He ran. Maybe it would work; maybe not. But, unlike the Inquisitors, the Nightsisters didn’t terrify him, and they wouldn’t run him to ground. Not once he got to the desert.

Either way, he’d be back at the Red Hills camp by dawn.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Aldar and Mira had learned many interesting things in the past two weeks. Aldar initially had problems accepting the words and gestures as necessary, but had quickly learned to use his Jedi training to focus on the meaning behind them. Soon, he had been able to duplicate the effects of the "spells" of his teacher without the need for the accompanying verbal and somatic components.

Mira, on the other hand, had eagerly learned every "spell" known to her teacher, which had impressed her teacher so much, that she had called in another to teach Mira what she herself did not know. Mira, of course, were delighted. In two weeks, she had picked up more than an average Jedi could in a month. Aldar was immensely proud of his apprentice, though also a little wary. Greed for power was a sure way to the Dark Side. So far, however, Mira was the same person she had always been - cheerful, adventurous, and a little foolhardy.

Aldar had noticed Fadin Kurn the moment he and Mira had entered the communal tent, but had been too polite to ask her who she was. Mira, however, had no such compunctions, and had asked about her name, origin, species and purpose. Aldar had quietly told her "enough" telepathically, when he could see Fadin becoming annoyed, and had cashed in a brief smile from Brembla, who had picked up the telepathic message.

Mira went to bed early, exhausted after a long day, but Aldar spent the night meditating. He felt a somehow familiar Dark Side presence many miles away, but the amount of Force energy in the air distorted it. Then he reminded himself of the Night Sisters, and returned to meditating. Though he would lose sleep, the amount of energy and clarity he would gain in return was well worth it.

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok slipped into the hut near dawn. Someone was snoring; someone else was meditating. Several miles back, having lost the trackers, he'd brought his Force signature back, and seemed Light-oriented again. He figured he'd tell something like the truth: he'd ranged too far and had a run-in with Nightsisters. That was what he'd told the sentries, and they'd seemed to accept it; the earlier shift had warned him of that when he left.

He moved quietly for his size, but apparantly not quietly enough.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Aldar had felt the presence of Velok the moment he entered the encampment, but had not paid much attention. He was nearing the end of his meditation, and to break it now would be foolish.

When Velok slipped into the hut, Aldar had just finished his meditation. Refreshed beyond what a night's sleep could have provided, he opened his eyes and smiled when he saw the Whiphid:

"Welcome back, Master Velok. I trust you found the peace of mind you were looking for?"
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Not as much as you, Melron," he said, very quietly. "I ran into some Nightsisters a few miles from here." He shook his shaggy head. "The sentries warned me. They were on rancors; I had to run out to the desert to lose them. At least I didn't have to fight."

He sat on the pile of furs that constituted his bunk; the framed type wouldn't support his weight. "I may sleep for a good portion of the day. It's just as well: there's few things that interest me about Allyan magic. I may try to work with weather control, or learn how to communicate with the rancors." He shrugged. "And there's not a lot I can teach them.

"Tell me - how long have you and your apprentice been together? It's been a long time since I had a student."
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Aldar smiled and looked over at Mira's lithe frame, lying on a bunk covered by a fur.

"Nearly three years now. She was only twelve when the Force drew me to her. Now, she is almost fifteen, and rapidly advancing towards knighthood. I would not be surprised if she was knighted before she turned eighteen."

It was true. Mira had advanced immensely since her first meeting with Aldar. Her natural curiosity and a propensity for use of the Force had helped her advance quicker than most apprentices did.

"My only concern is that her curiosity could lead to greed. I have not had much experience with the Dark Side, but I do not sense it in her, and that does help to alleviate my concerns. Still..." His voice trailed off as he studied Mira. Then he turned his gaze to Velok.

"How about you, Master Velok? When were you knighted, and have you had any apprentices?"

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

He considered for a second. "I was knighted well over a century ago. My apprentice died long before the Clone Wars, and I never took another." He shrugged. "Perhaps if I was to find the right one - strong, good moral fibre, suitable life expectancy - I might consider it. Certainly I'd like my knowledge to be remembered." He chuckled softly. "I wouldn't worry too much about your apprentice. It's been a long time since I was young, but I understand that curiosity very well. One might say I never grew out of it. To her, the Force is still something wonderful and new.

"Besides. If she does start to turn, the rest of us are here. Psychologically speaking, I think we know a thing or two about the Dark Side."

Brembla stirred, waking; Velok shot her a glance. "If you need help with her at any point, don't hesitate to ask Kol-Rekali here. She's raised four Jedi teenagers, including a daughter. Her advice would probably be better than mine."
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Aldar smiled; he too had noticed Brembla stir.

"Thank you for your advice, Master Velok. It is much appreciated." He rose from his place on the floor. "If you would excuse me, I will go fetch us some breakfast. It seems our companions are waking up."

He bowed briefly before Velok, then headed out of the tent. Moments later, his voice could be heard, singing a song of love and beauty in the tongue of the Ysanna...

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Days turned into weeks, and Velok kept a low profile. No more midnight journeys to terrorize the Nightsisters. As essentially the only thing that interested him about the Witches at this point was their ability to manipulate the weather, he questioned and listened, but didn't attempt it for fear of passing the amulet's threshold.

He wasn't blind to the Patriot's arrival. Its meaning, however, he could not decipher. He didn't sense any real danger from it, or from her, so he decided not to apply Knowledge by Instinct - an effort that would have required another long trip away from the Red Hills. In any case, she seemed solid enough. Her spare time - when Brembla was off talking with the Clan Mother - she spent training. She fit in well with the witches, aside from her gray skin and facial tattoos. They were warriors; she was a soldier. And while there were many differences between mindsets, they had a lot to offer each other in terms of combat skills.

He noted with some curiosity that she absolutely ignored the opportunity to learn their Force abilities. She had her own, it seemed: Isen nobles had a basic skillset. Respectable, but basic. If she'd learned anything more complex from the Kol-Rekalis or Lyn-Char Beorht or any of the other original Patriot instructors, she hadn't yet shown it. He suspected that she wouldn't, and as time passed his suspicion became a certainty. A more different viewpoint than his own could not be imagined, but he had to respect it.

That, and she could really, really use a knife.
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

Shaden had been solem and quiet for most of the trip, choosing to learn from his teachers and in turn teach them in peace and serenity. With the Baron Do he had focused heavily on the weather control aspect of their teachings, it was fascinating and extremely interesting. In turn he had taught them some of his advanced meditation techniques, mainly there was an exchange of philosophies. Like wise here on Dathomir Shaden mainly focused on one aspect of the force but took a great interest in their philosophy. His teacher explained to him the techniques of communicating with the animals of dathomir, mainly the sentient Rancor. Shaden made sure to be very respectful of the witch's beleifs and values but attempted to tell her about the beleifs he held. It provided some relatively interesting conversations, but now he sat cross legged on his bed and meditated silently.
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

After five weeks on Dathomir, it was time to leave. The sensor window required exact timing, so they left the village slightly before dawn. Their sendoff, like their welcome, was friendly but slightly cool. The Red Hills Clan wasn't as progressive as some, and their contact with offworlders had been more limited. Some of them hadn't liked teaching Allyan magic to men. Others had been more welcoming. There were genuine friendships in some cases, and overall, relationships between the Jedi Order and the witches had benefited greatly.

Brembla had spent their last day with the Clan Mother, leaving Kurn to her own devices - which consisted mainly of packing. Not that there was much to pack, but she made it last. Sparring with the witches was all well and good, she supposed, and she'd gotten plenty of that in. Still, after she'd let it slip that she'd been a Darksider for years, they hadn't quite looked at her the same way. The Force alone knew what they'd have done if they'd found out about Velok, let alone Brembla's checkered past.

Kurn wore the combat arms suit on the hike back to the Sojourn. She kept the speed low, walking with the team. When they were back, she helped take down and pack the sensor nets. She caught Velok glancing at her a few times. She shrugged it off. In the suit, she was almost as big as the Whiphid and a lot stronger. Intimidation shouldn't be a factor here.

They all packed aboard, along with a trio of young witches. Kurn hadn't gotten to know them, and doubted she would in the weeks to come: they were the sort who focused more on the Force than on combat. Not her type. Besides, she had her duties.

The Charger c70 lifted off while she was still taking off and stowing the combat arms suit, a long process when one was alone. By the time she made it to the bridge, they were already well out of orbit and through the sensor window. Destination: Yanibar.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zeison_Sha

Not long after they entered hyperspace, Velok called them all together in the ship's meeting room.

"Alright, everyone. The Zeison Sha will be unlike anyone we've visited so far. They live out in Wild Space near the Sandian Imperial League."

One of the young Jedi Knights lofted an eyebrow. "The what?"

"Look it up," Kurn said. "Velok, you were saying?"

"It's near the end of the Corellian Run, so it'll take us a little while to get there. We'll stop for fuel once, but only briefly. We should be there within a handful of days. In any case, the Zeison Sha don't like Jedi." A little murmur came up there; Velok ignored it. "They're Lightsiders too, but there's bad blood stretching back centuries." He filled them in on the pertinent details, then looked around ferociously. "Under no circumstances are you to recruit anyone to the Jedi or spend time with children or youth - ever. These are no self-trained wilders; these people are the real deal. They are better at telekinesis than Jedi or Sith." One of the Jedi - the same one who had commented earlier - snorted audibly. Velok raised an eyebrow the size of a small wombat. "That's the assessment of Jedi Master Bodo Baas, six hundred years ago. I've been around the Zeison Sha since then, and they've only gotten better. They have skills that the Jedi Order itself lost centuries ago.

"Let me be a little clearer still. They have extremely good reasons to mistrust the Jedi. Our trademark elitist attitude will, if manifested, put us all in danger. Especially because there is no reason for it. They are stronger, smarter and more sophisticated than we are. I expect each of you will have to prove yourself worthy of training, and they will almost certainly reject some of you." That same young Jedi Knight shifted in his chair, and his lips twitched. Velok pinned him with a glare. "No, I do not have to prove myself to them, considering I saved them from Inquisitors twenty-five years ago. You do. And I'm serious when I say there will be rejections. Prepare yourselves to cool your heels for a few weeks." He looked to the three young witches. "They won't mind you - you'll probably get the education of a lifetime.

"Alright. The rest of the pertinent information is available from the ship's systems. We will land at the Sha Kalan, their temple. May I emphasize that they do not know we are coming."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

They made a single refueling stop. Logistically speaking, that was the best place to make the exchanges. Brembla and Kurn left, to be replaced by a bald man with a curious wooden staff and a slightly skewed sense of humour. He introduced himself as Colonel Karak Ror, and his black uniform held what Velok recognized as a Jade Empire Intelligence insignia. A great deal more interesting to be around than the quiet Brembla or the outright taciturn Kurn, Ror could be charitably described as the life of the party. Velok noticed, though, that Ror didn't often say anything revealing. He suspected more than one layer of mask. So while Ror quickly became friendly with just about everyone, Velok included, by the time they got to Yanibar the Whiphid still had no idea what Ror's background was.

Velok brought the Sojourn down in the place ground control indicated. He'd speculated as to whether the Zeison Sha would stipulate a nearer or farther landing zone - if, indeed, they had anything to do with that. If so, they ascribed to the 'keep your enemies closer' school of thought.

For the most part, only instructors and service personnel lived on the actual grounds of the Sha Kalan. The children who studied there lived with their families; the Sha Kalan sat square in the middle of a residential area, which sat square in the middle of a vast expase of rocky ground. And snow. It was winter here: extremely cold and wet. Velok didn't mind that, but some of the others might.

They headed for the front doors, and were met first by a female Nautolan. "My name is Jedi Knight Kali Skywalker," she said, nodding greetings to a handful of the delegation; they returned her nods, knowing her from Onderon. Basic didn't seem to be her first language; a hint of some other accent coloured her speech. "I have been here for a week. They will give you a fair chance."

"Tell me, Knight Skywalker," Velok said, for others' benefit, "what will these tests involve? Do you know?"

"I do not. They will be individual. Maybe an interview, a test of the Force, or something else. I do not know." She gestured behind her to the Zeison Sha coming out of the building. Their clothes were reminiscent of Jedi attire, but instead of lightsabres they carried large throwing blades, one or two each. All ages were present, including some that Velok recognized. He felt his face light up as much as a Whiphid's could. Passing Skywalker, he approached and greeted some by name. He'd assisted in their rebellion against the Empire, balancing damage with unobtrusiveness - keeping the garrison off balance without provoking the sector government to send reinforcements. From time to time, he'd traveled offworld to make more potent strikes in other places. He'd drawn those reinforcements elsewhere, along with more than one Inquisitor. Those had been fun years.

The hitch here, of course, was that he'd been a Darksider then as he was now - and he'd used the Force around them at such a level that he hadn't even bothered to use the amulet. But even then, he'd been accustomed to wearing Jedi robes. Despite their dislike of the Jedi Order's practices and also the Dark Side, they'd been willing to accept the aid of a 'Fallen Jedi' if it meant their lives. After he proved his worth and his commitment to principles.

Those few he'd known then welcomed him into the Sha Kalan, leaving the others behind. The Zeison Sha split them up. They would each face some kind of test. Some would certainly be rejected.

Skywalker joined him and his old friends in the Sha Kalan. She brought the three young witches; as non-Jedi, they were deemed exempt. That distinction apparently didn't include Colonel Ror: the determining factor appeared to be the lightsabre at his belt. But the JEAF Intel man joined them after an hour or so, tired but still seemingly cheerful. He was the first of the group to trickle in and be settled into guest quarters.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Aldar and Mira had studied their various destinations before the journey began, and already knew much of what Velok told them of the Zeison Sha. Even so, they listened intently when he relayed his knowledge of that Force group. During the journey, they both remained vigilant of Karak Ror; Aldar because he tended not to trust Force-users from outside the Order, and Mira because she had a strange feeling whenever she was around Ror.

When the party arrived on Yanibar, Aldar and Mira was among those taken aside and subjected to tests. Aldar was interviewed for hours on morals and principles, before the Zeison Sha finally allowed him to join those who had been accepted. He was the last of the party to be accepted, being admitted only several hours after the others.

Mira, on the other hand, joined Velok and Skywalker only minutes after Ror. Her test had been a rather straight-forward test of her telekinetic abilities. Halfway through the test, she had felt gratitude towards Aldar for being so vehement about her telekinetic training, as that training was what enabled her to complete the test successfully. Even so, she was exhausted when she joined those already admitted.

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Velok had expected this to be interesting. Most of the Zeison Sha - even some who'd known him back in the day - were cool towards him. More so, in fact, than they'd been when he was obviously a Darksider years ago. The dislike of Jedi ran deep. Cultural heritage was an interesting thing.

They loved the witches, though, for the simple reason that they weren't Jedi and never had been. As the days went by, Velok began to suspect that one or two of the witches would remain behind when the Sojourn left Yanibar. He couldn't blame them: the lifestyle was just as interesting and challenging as the training. Which was fascinating. He hadn't lied when he'd told the group that the Zeison Sha had more telekinetic expertise than Jedi or Sith. On a large scale, on a tiny scale, they knew what they were doing.

What interested him most, though, was their ability to make things impervious to a lightsabre. He'd thought it had a lot to do with the forging process for their discblades - and in some ways it did, because it made the actual Force technique much easier. But a real master of the Zeison Sha techniques could make anything lightsabre-resistant. The Jedi had lost that ability, centuries, even millennia ago. From what records were available to him, he suspected it had never been widespread. But here, most of the Zeison Sha warriors could harden their discblades to one extent or another. He supposed it was necessary, considering they didn't have lightsabre technology: their personal weapons were a lot easier to damage.

They were, of course, just as reluctant to teach him that as anything. Still, a couple of his old acquaintances finally agreed. His first attempts didn't work so well; he had power, but this wasn't about power as much as it was about finesse, control. On the other hand, that meant that he could go a bit farther towards learning it than towards some things; his amulet still had that limit.

It turned out that Ror was already familiar with that technique, in a very limited way; from what Velok could ascertain, it had something to do with that staff he carried. A bit of what Velok suspected was guided misunderstanding - the guiding on Ror's part, the misunderstanding on a Zeison Sha's part - led to more extensive training on the subject. Once they realized he wasn't a Jedi and never had been, they warmed to him more than they warmed to Velok.

They also seemed to like Mira Keen. She was young - not really set in the Jedi ways, to their manner of thinking - and her breadth of education contributed to that impression.

The winter grew colder.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

The teacher assigned to Aldar had been pleasantly surprised when he discovered that Aldar was not a mainstream Jedi. Aldar quickly realized that he probably had Archon – his old teacher, a university professor from Coruscant in exile on Ossus – to thank for the relative warmth of the Zeison Sha. Having not been a part of the Jedi Order for more than a few years, he was not yet too “contaminated” to be taught their ways.
Aldar was interested in both the telekinetic abilities of the Zeison Sha, and their ability to imbue items with the power of the Force. But the power that most interested him was the ability of some of them to “wrap” the Force around their bodies to resist damage. His teacher was reluctant to teach him that technique, but after a week Aldar finally managed to convince him that he would not abuse it.

Mira was more interested in the telekinetic abilities, and progressed rapidly. Soon, she was using a discblade every bit as well as one of the younger Zeison Sha, much to the pleasure of her teacher. After ten days, they began teaching her how to imbue the discblade with the Force to make it more resistant to damage.

Aldar and Mira only saw each other briefly during the first two weeks, where Mira told him of her exploits and Aldar expressed his satisfaction with her progress.

Aldar spent many a morning standing in the temple courtyard, enjoying the cold weather. Aided by the Force, he was not affected by the cold, yet still felt the cold breeze on his face, a feeling he thoroughly enjoyed. It always helped him to clear his mind before training began.
This morning ritual attracted several young initiates, whom he often spoke with before training began. The teachers were wary at first, but when he made no attempt to convince the initiates of the superiority of the Jedi – rather, he answered what questions they asked, and listened to what they had to say - they allowed the meetings to continue.

My characters
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

The JE Intel insignia gave away Ror's occupation immediately - but only to Velok, who was more than passingly familiar with that particular area of the Unknown Regions. For his part, Ror never mentioned what he did for a living, and deflected any casual questions that came that way. So it would perhaps be unsurprising for Velok to be the one to realize that Ror wore a wire, recording the audio of every training session he attended.

Nevertheless, Ror managed to blow his cover quite effectively on his own.

It was several weeks after they'd arrived. Initial recitence had been reduced to the point where the Jedi could learn and teach, at least in part. In fact, that was what led to the JE spy's unmasking. During a group 'technique-exchange' session, one of the party had acquiesced to a Zeison Sha request to demonstrate an ayna-seff application in a moderately crowded room. Ror had accidentally brushed by the Jedi in question, and the resulting feedback nearly deafened him. His reaction impressed the Whiphid - he obviously had practice, and a certain degree of acting ability, but he couldn't convince enough of them.

And so they were kicked out. All of them; minus one of the witches who really, really wanted to stay, and already carried a discblade. Infuriated, oblivious to expert diplomacy and Ror's status as a non-Jedi, the leaders of the planet's native Forcewielders gave the Jedi delegation exactly half an hour to leave the Sha Kalan. It amused Velok - who needed amusement badly; he'd been very close to mastering a particular technique and was deeply annoyed - to see that Ror got more flak from the Jedi than from the Zeison Sha. It served him right, doing something so fantastically stupid. Someone destroyed the wire; Velok didn't see who did it, or what side they were on. But Ror's expression didn't change, so Velok suspected the wire had transmitted its data to a recorder on the Sojourn. Fortunately for the Patriot, violence was not forthcoming. He walked out of the Sha Kalan, staff tap-tapping, head held high, five minutes before the deadline.

He and his effects were gone from the Sojourn by the time Velok got there. Where he had gone was anyone's guess. As the Jedi delegation filed onto the Charger c70 averaging a foul mood, Velok was approached by the Nautolan, Kali Skywalker. He'd asked around, and talked with her a bit: good at negotiation, a telekinetic genius and currently engaged in hunting Vahla pirates in nearby sectors, she'd been one of the reasonable voices to be completely ignored by the Zeison Sha's leadership. If she was angry, she wasn't showing it.

"Will we get another from the Jade Empire?" she said quietly. They stood at the head of the ramp, which would raise in a handful of minutes. All the rest were inside.

Velok whuffled. He'd rather like to know the answer to that himself. If they decided not to send a new rep, it would increase the likelihood of Patriot action against him, personally, whether in the short term or the long. "I have no idea. We were supposed to leave in less than a week; there's a possibility that Ror's replacement is on his way already." He shook his head. "Will you be coming with us?"

"No." Her abruptness, he knew, came from her lack of familiarity with Basic. She wasn't being curt. "Maybe. When you are with the Jensaarai, I may be near there. These pirates, they feel me."

He'd had dealings with Vahla in the past. The unnaturally flexible, purple-eyed near-humans were generally Force-sensitive in a limited way, and biased towards the Dark Side. He'd killed more than a few of them, including a member of the Ember of Vahl itself. He was very tempted to ask to join her. But with the Jade Empire representative ejected, this group needed all the stability it could get.

"Who will they send to smooth things over?" The idiom escaped her. He grimaced. "Who will the Jedi send to talk with the Zeison Sha?"

"I don't know. I would stay, but they are too angry now."

"Yes." A thought struck him. "Do you know anyone who knows the Aing-Tii Monks?" he asked.

"Who?"

"Never mind."

For better or for worse, they were off to the Kathol Outback.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

The fringes of Wild Space were, not to put too blunt a point on it, Wild. Though some routes were common knowledge, most - including the deep hyperlanes of the Kathol sector - were known to relatively few. Fortunately, Velok had connections. Lots of connections.

They refueled on Kal'Shebbol's lone continent, surrounded by farmlands and outlaw techs. To be fair, this far out there were no laws, a condition that would prevail the closer one got to the Kathol Outback proper. And closer they came, past Torize and Kolatill, Pembric II and Galtea. They got respect without identifying themselves as Jedi. Ten light turbolasers went a long way in here.

Kalo-Kaa rejoined them on Sebiris, the last charted planet before the Outback. He made a brief but diplomatic apology on behalf of the Patriots for Ror's behavior. Most had liked the taciturn feline more than Ror, and some were anxious to catch him up on their time on Dathomir and Yanibar. They had the time: from here, it was all finicky little jumps.

Their third jump out of Sebiris and into the really uncharted Outback put them square in the middle of a firefight. A one-sided battle, to be sure: the pirates, or slavers or whoever they were, didn't last long. Four fluid, organic-looking ships blasted great flowers of energy into Clone Wars-vintage light cruisers, answered by turbolaser fire that grew weaker by the second. When the much smaller Sojourn joined in, decisively on the side of what Velok's sources dubbed 'Sanhedrim ships', the last slaver ship with a functioning hyperdrive finally booked it back towards Sebiris.

The Jedi ship stood down. They didn't have a choice. Each Sanhedrim was three times as long as the Sojourn, and those energy flowers could peel a military-grade hull. Truth be told, quick action had almost definitely saved their lives; they might easily have been mistaken for enemy reinforcements.

That, and most of the people who tried to learn about the Aing-Tii warrior monks ended up dead for their troubles. Velok grimaced and keyed the intercom. "Everyone open yourself to the Force. Now." He sensed the surge in power around him - and so did the monks. One ship drifted closer. The others turned and were gone. Just...gone, and for a split second Velok sensed something so totally unfamiliar that he drew an involuntary breath.

The Sanhedrim ship extended an organic tendril. The Sojourn shuddered twice before that tendril found the airlock. Standing from his chair, Velok headed aft.

The airlock opened, systems assured that there was a standard atmosphere on the other side. The interior of the tendril looked like pearly, flexible metal, and its artificial gravity was similarly flexible; also a bit disorienting. But followed by a line of Jedi, Velok walked up the tendril to the Sanhedrim ship. Something that looked vaguely like an airlock opened, and there was an Aing-Tii. Awkwardly bipedal, with six thin green tongues flickering around its face and a large, flexible tail, it matched the only picture Velok had ever seen. It drew back, silent. Velok stepped in, looked over his shoulder-

The tendril whipped behind him, throwing Jedi everywhere within its liquid-metal confines. Then it closed behind him, and he was alone with the Aing-Tii.

Kalo hit the tendril's wall hard, shoulder-first. It was whipping, and then it closed before and after him, leaving him in a small bubble of air. The wall bulged as if it had hit something on the outside. The metal deformed and flowed, and then he was looking at the interior of the Sanhedrim ship. And the strangest alien he'd ever seen. Drillarians looked more normal. Balance still utterly shot, he leaned against the wall. The flexible material resisted his claws. He retracted them. They'd come out during a moment of panic.

The alien cocked its head; its tongues tasted the air. It did nothing else, didn't appear to understand Basic or sign language...

After several minutes Kalo sat down and began to meditate. It seemed the thing to do, and he was growing impatient. Hopefully this would keep him calm.

The flexible substance of the tendril had deposited them all inside the corridors and chambers of the Sanhedrim ship. Each person who'd been in the tendril now faced a totally silent warrior monk who felt...unique...in the Force. For the most part, the Jedi were calm, so those still on the Sojourn really had no reason to suppose they'd been kidnapped. The monks were simply waiting for someone to try to communicate. A massive language barrier being in effect, the only way to do this was a Force-based, mind-to-mind contact that would be overwhelming for any but the most skilled and experienced. Some of the younger Knights didn't even think to try that, perhaps knowing subconsciously that whatever limited telepathy or empathy they'd developed, it wouldn't be enough to communicate with such a vastly different mind in any significant way.

Kalo would eventually discover that he could do it, but only tolerate the experience for a handful of minutes before, sweating and snarling, he was forced to withdraw from the indescribably alien contact.

If he hadn't been covered in fur, Velok would have gone pale. As it was, the realization struck him hard enough that he had to lean against the wall. His thoughts raced, so fast he could barely follow them and certainly not recall what he'd thought a half-second ago.

Direct mind-to-mind contact was dangerous, not least because it left you open to all kinds of advanced mind trickery and even direct assaults. He had few worries on that account. No, he was worried because his amulet, nestled in his robes, would most certainly not work against this. He'd discovered that forty years ago on Belsavis. At least nobody but this monk would sense anything of the Dark Side unless they paid very close attention - and anger and frustration certainly existed among the party already. No, his disguise was safe as far as the group went.

He could abstain, maybe. But a little voice begged him to try, fascinated by the alien's strangeness, tempted by the idea that they didn't see the Force or its users as light or dark but as variations of colour...he wondered what colours they would see in him.

So he sat down, back against the wall, and closed his eyes.

The Aing-Tii's mind was so strange that he failed to find labels. In a way, it was powerful - perhaps 'imposing' would be a better word. Aged, but vital; authoritative, but inquisitive. Hostile, but hospitable. Dangerous, but not psychopathic. A web of coloured self-image and train of thought and so much...strangeness. In Velok's head, words ceased to be used.

It felt him; felt his true nature. Knew that he lied about who and what he was. He shied away from that until he got himself under control and, with a hint of defiance, bared his soul. It knew he was a liar...but it also knew he didn't do it out of malice for the Jedi he traveled with. His unspoken question -
what colour am I, mostly? - was answered by a flash of bright red. Vibrant, directed passion, not the nihilistic essence of many Dark Jedi. It gave him some little relief.

He knew echoes of himself in the monk. This one would be a worthy foe.

It knew his purpose in coming here. It didn't like that, but there was the sense that his honesty was respected. An interesting dichotomy. He pulled away...

Velok's eyes opened. He gasped air, hyperventilating. Sweat soaked his robes, and his hands were sore from clenching tight on nothing. The monk dipped its head in a particularly human gesture and disappeared through a door. Yes, he, at least, would be taught - and probably the entire group as well, barring any really stupid actions. Whether they understood it or not; whether they could bring their minds to bear in the proper way; how long it would take, these were the questions now. He fully expected that many of the group would be unable to use the Force and their minds in this insanely alien way.

The tendril re-formed once everyone was done, and reconnected to the Sojourn's airlock. Hours had passed.

Their training would take place aboard the Sanhedrim ship.