Remember Midpoint Summit?

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

"Certified Local Madman"

Re: Remember Midpoint Summit?

Post by Darkheyr »

It's still an interesting breakdown, though, so thanks for that. :mrgreen:

Post by Red Dragon »

Take all that net worth of each country, yearly earnings or what have you and add it all together as a single world net worth/income.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Right, but what Vox did was take a microcosm approach, using the aircraft carrier as the ISD. Obviously, if each single planet was attempting to purchase and support them, it would work, but then the firepower scales would be off. One aircraft carrier used correctly, can devastate a country, depending on the country's size and the carrier's ability to maneuver around to multiple fronts to allow it's fighters/bombers maximum scope across the country. Basically, a carrier, used correctly, could produce an analogue of a BDZ on a country. So it's the right comparison. If you instead were looking at an entire planet unified as one country, then the carrier wouldn't make sense anymore, it would have to be something that could devastate an entire planet relatively easily. Thus, the carrier would increase in size and scope, thus increasing the price and putting you back at square one for Vox's comparison.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Yeah. I liked the comparison... but I can't pass up an opportunity to poke fun at Vox. :)
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
"Certified Local Madman"

Post by Darkheyr »

What Mir said. A carrier is a good comparison relative to single countries, but an ISD is several orders of magnitude more involved than an aircraft carrier - starting with it being a spaceship and being just a liiiiiittle bit larger.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

It would Dark, I was simply taking a real world approach to something to give it 'scale'. The argument Red made of taking an entire world's GDP and then it can afford a carrier doesn't work if your going from carrier to ISD. Basically I was referring to the carrier as the ISD and the country as the planet. Run the scale up and the affect is still the same.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

By the way, in reading my post again I realized that my numbers were off...I forgot to actually add the cost of fuel per week. So you take $ 77.4 million x 52 weeks - $4.024 Billion.

Add that to the $13 Billion...and you are looking at $17 Billion a year for a year long deployment for a carrier...and that number is again WAY short of the actual cost.
"Certified Local Madman"

Post by Darkheyr »

Yes, thats what I meant Vox. In essence, you need a pretty highly developed planet to afford ISDs - and you'd still need to ask whether it would make sense for that planet to field its own ISDs.

I mean, even if, say, Germany could afford its own carrier... why the frack would they want to? It runs completely opposite of their armed forces' official mission, and they don't really need it for anything, either. Same goes for many planets - those credits could be use for so many different things.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Gotcha, I wasn't sure what the previous post meant. hah.