S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Blinding Light (One Shot)

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Blinding Light (One Shot)

Post by Mir »

Separation.

Emotionally detached, and unsure of what was going to happen, but sure that survival would take place. Determination, heart, dedication. Drive. Zeal. Words that describe, but also feel and are a part of what makes the situation so different from everyone else's.

Belonging. Enlistment. The United States Army

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Nick Fury shook his head slowly. He didn't properly understand what was going on himself. How was he supposed to reassure his soldier? The man before him had been one of his best over the years. He had done whatever had been asked of him, and he had fought for his country multiple times. And the damn doctors couldn't do jack fucking shit for him. Nick sighed and turned, leaving the room in the medical ward. They were in Washington, at the S.H.I.E.L.D. location there. It wasn't a big one, but its presence was needed in the capital of the United States in case the President wanted a S.H.I.E.L.D. person present at a briefing or to bring them in for a joint operation with Weapon X or Vanguard or the Avengers or some other piss poor group that US had. Well that wasn't all true. Fury respected Weapon X.

This part of the S.H.I.E.L.D. building was the hospital ward. It was one of the best ones that the organization had. He currently had Kate on a flight down to Washington to get her into the damn room to figure out what the hell was going wrong. She was a great doctor and one of the better ones that S.H.I.E.L.D. had. If she didn't know, then he'd pick up the phone to call Paul Matthews, but that guy was busy preparing some stuff to go to New York with it. Something about a plant and a presentation at Columbia. The only thing that plants did were sit there, look pretty, and make oxygen.

Fury didn't bother to try to understand everything about the sciences that Matthews was a master of. That was what he had Matthews for in the first damn place. He knew a little bit about a lot, so that he could understand a decent chunk of what Matthews would go on and on about when they would meet up. Nick paced back and forth in the hospital ward. He hadn't even been this nervous when his daughter had been born. His wife had been a trooper, hell she was stronger than he was, if he was willing to admit it. Sometimes, he just wanted to bring her down to yell at the agents who were making his life hard with incompetence.

Lawyers were scary.

As he walked, he was trying to figure out how this had all happened. He didn't know the science behind it, he just knew that it worked. And it had worked. For years. So why now, what had gone wrong and why had it happened now? He thought of finding Christian, but he had a feeling that Christian had picked up a new pack of cigarettes, something that he hadn't done in years, since Mary had died. He couldn't blame the man, not right now. A good stiff drink would work wonders at the moment, but Fury knew he couldn't take the time.

He turned and saw Kate Ansley walking towards him. She was already dressed in scrubs and a laboratory coat. He smiled the first real smile he'd had in a few days. "Kate. Just the person I wanted to see. Have they briefed you?" He asked.

"I had a video feed into the room while I was on my flight over." Kate Ansley, otherwise known as Frostbite said. "I couldn't stop her from coming." She added, quietly. Fury lifted an eyebrow and looked over Kate's shoulder to see another woman half walking, half running over to where they were, a look of concern on her face that was even bigger than the one that had been on Fury's a few moments before.

"Ah, shit." Fury said.

"Is everything okay? Stabilized? I was watching the video, and I need to know if-"

"Tiffany, we know as much as you do."

"Well how is that possible, if all of you are supposed to be the experts?" She asked, as Kate nodded to Fury, put a hand on Tiffany's shoulder and then walked away, into the room.

"Look, Tiffany, I know this is hard but-"

"No, don't start with that. That's what you say before you ask me to do something we both know I don't want to do. I've been a damn good soldier for you Nick, don't give me that bullshit." Tiffany said, and Fury saw the small round circles of energy that appeared around her hands. Tears began to well up in her eyes. "I need to know that he's going to be okay. You have to promise me, Nick. I…I don't know what to do." She said. "I can't help him and I-I…" She said, and Fury reached out, pulling the smaller woman into a hug.

"It's on him right now. We've done the best we can. He's got to fight it."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Chrell!

They were everywhere.

The soldier grabbed his gun. He had a job to do. He would do his duty. He would protect his country. He would fight back. He was an American Soldier. He would not fail his people.

He would go to war.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"What the hell do you mean?" Fury snarled after Kate stepped out of the room twenty minutes later. He had gotten Tiffany settled and had sent her to one of the waiting rooms, telling her that he would find her when he had news. He had been counting on it being good news so that she wouldn't flip out, but he could tell that it wasn't going to be the case. His eyes narrowed. "What do you mean?" He asked again, trying to get himself to settle.

"His body can't take the damage that's being done to it. He's slowly deteriorating. If it doesn't speed up and progress faster, he has maybe a day, two if he's lucky. He's drifting in and out of consciousness and when he is conscious, he's not lucid. He thinks he's still fighting the Chrell." Kate said.

Before she could stop herself, Fury had picked her up and slammed her against the wall. "Damn it Kate, that's not good enough. Now go in there and fix him and get him back on his feet."

"It doesn't work like that, Director." Kate said, wincing at the pain. "I can't just fix him like it’s a cut and you put Neosporin and a band aid. This is a little bit more complicated and it's at the cellular level." She said. "I just don't know enough about the situation. And damn it, Nick, I'm not one of your God damn little toy soldiers for you to play around with. Neither is he, despite how the two of you are."

"Would Matthews?" He asked.

"Nobody knows how smart that guy is. He probably knows more about science than the old guys who invented it. Paul Matthews stands the best chance to fix this problem, yes. I'm just not a biologist or a chemist. I can't tell you what's happening with his body."

Fury just nodded wordlessly and reached into his pocket for his personal communicator. He dialed Paul Matthews, Mr. Fantastic.

"Director, what can I do for you?" Paul said, as soon as his face appeared on the screen. "A little busy at the moment but-"

"Forget New York. You need to get to D.C., right away."

"Nick, we talked about this." Paul said with a small smile. "I can't make a mind control ray to work on the President and on other world leaders to just give you all their countries' money and power. That's unethical."

"Not that damn it. That'd be nice, but this isn't the time, Stretcho. I need your expertise in a singular medical case."

"I'm not a doctor."

"This is an emergency." Fury said, starting to get annoyed.

"Isn't Katherine there?"

"Hey Fantastic, I'm asking for you. Kate's hit a wall."

"Nick, I'd love to, you know that but-"

"Derek Sheppard is dying and he has less than a day to live. Possibly just a few hours. I don't know"

Silence. Fury watched as the shock hit Paul's face.

Kate watched, remembering what she had heard the first day she had started working for S.H.I.E.L.D. Christian had been talking to her, and Derek had introduced himself and then kept going down the hallway. He'd had a broken arm at the time. Fury was making sure that Derek got the rest he needed. She hadn't been able to find out what the particulars were in regards to how he had gotten that injury. She had never found out, come to think of it. Christian had said something along the lines of "Fury may love us all in his own twisted way, and he may make sure that we're taken care of if we're injured, but that's his boy right there. That's his little soldier. Fury will raise heaven and hell to make sure Derek's okay." When she'd asked him why, Christian had shrugged. "Derek's saved his life more times than I can count and back during the war, Derek was one of the greatest soldiers and field commanders that the United States had against the Chrell. Derek's the boyscout, he always will be. He's Fury's right hand man, the guy who will always get the job done, no matter what it is."

"You're kidding me. Captain…Captain America is dying?" Paul asked.

"Exactly. Now get your scrawny little Oregon ass over here as soon as possible. Do you understand me?" Fury said.

"Yes, sir. I'll be there as soon as possible."

"Good man." Fury said and turned the communicator off. He turned and looked at Kate. He pointed at the room where Derek was currently in the process of dying. "Matthews is on his way. If Sheppard dies before then, I am holding you and you alone personally responsible." He said. Then the one eyed man turned and walked away.

Kate shivered, knowing that Fury meant every word he'd just said.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The Red, the White, and the Blue!

He was the shining beacon of hope. The symbol of democracy. As American as the eagle. On top of the world, he was set to be the man that he had always wanted to be. And he had the girl. She was beautiful. Mary Sommers, his brother's sister. He was Captain America. Life was how it was supposed to be, finally.

But then she died.

She was killed in a senseless attack. Hundreds of others were dead, but so was his Mary. And he was dead too, inside.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"He's crashing." Kate said, out of breath. There were loose strands of hair all around her face. She was flushed, and sweating. "We can't stop it."

"Matthews isn't going to be here for another twenty minutes." Fury said, as Tiffany looked up, her eyes widening.

Christian stood next to them, stoic. He held a pack of Marlboro Reds in his hand, and he just sighed, closing his eyes. The smell of smoke pervaded his body, something that none of the others acknowledged, despite knowing that he had quit a few months ago and had actually shown true dedication to keeping the nicotine out of his system.

"I don't know what to tell you. I know what happened though. We were able to figure it out finally. His body's rejecting the Super Soldier Serum."

"What?" Christian asked. "He's had it in his system for years. Why would it be causing a problem now?" He asked and looked at Fury.

"Paul Matthews will be able to tell us more, once he can see him. I have to try to stabilize him, but…" She said, and trailed off. "He might not make it in time. You guys should come with me." She said and turned starting to run back towards the room where Derek was.

Everyone was in the room a few moments later. Different looks of concern and fear ran rampant over the faces in the room. This was it. Derek was going to die. Everyone knew it. They all had realized it, but they weren't sure how they were going to deal with it. Christian looked ready to light up another cigarette inside of the hospital room. Tiffany was ready to completely break down, while Kate was just too busy to let it fully hit her.

It was Fury who just stood there, arms folded over his chest. He leaned against the wall, and closed the one good eye that he had.

Derek opened his eyes then, for what seemed like a last gasp at consciousness. He turned and saw the four of them standing there, among the other doctors in the room. "Dom, is that you?" He asked.

Fury smiled and walked over to the side of the bed. "What's going on, soldier?"

"Not too sure. Feel weird inside." Derek managed. "What the hell's wrong with me?"

"Super Soldier Serum gone bad."

"Son of a bitch."

"You're telling me. I need you to hang on though. We've got Matthews flying in." Fury said, reaching a hand out and putting it on Derek's shoulder.

"Paul Matthews? The brain guy? Hey, I haven't seen him in a while. I…I saw Mary." He said, closing his eyes for a second and Fury thought that Sheppard was going to slip back unconscious. "She's doing great."

"Mary's dead, Derek." Christian said. "You want to stay away from my little sister."

"That's what you told me when I asked her out." He said. Suddenly he fell silent.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The pain was unbearable.

That was the only thing that could be registered. Unregisterable was what was going on, where this place was, identity, none of these things mattered, nor could they even be contemplated. All that was known was that there was pain. And the pain was something that had to go away. It had to, because it was too much. It was too much for one man to bear.

But wait. How did he know he was a man?

He knew.

What did it mean to know?

What did it mean to be?

So far, all he knew was that existing was that being meant feeling pain.

Darkness was everywhere, he could not see. But slowly, slowly he felt a light pierce the shroud and he was able to bear witness to what was going on around him.

"Who are you?"

"I am pain." He said in response to the question. "You are Derek Sheppard, Captain America." He said.

"Yeah."

"I am the Void. I am the Abyss."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"He's gone." Kate said, a moment after Derek flatlined.

"I can hear that, thank you. I'm missing an eye, not my ears." Fury said. He narrowed his eye and then scowled. "Can you turn that damn machine off, then?" He asked.

There was silence in the room, until Derek opened his eyes.

"Um, yeah, I know Derek was the alcoholic who used to be all crazy, but is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?" Christian asked.

"What the-" Tiffany said, as Derek rose, light starting to emanate from his eyes, fingers, and ears. He got up and stood there, on the other side of the bed.

Tiffany found her arms lifted upwards, the circles around her hands appearing again, the tell tale sign that she was using her powers. All of a sudden, streams of energy flew out of her body and into Derek's.

"Tiffany, why are you attacking him?" Kate said.

"I'm not. He's…draining my reserves." Tiffany managed before her eyes rolled back into her head and she collapsed.

Fury watched as Derek turned and looked at them. He opened his mouth and a blinding light shot forward. It didn't push them back nor did it hurt them. It was just bright. Too bright at first, but then it tempered, just taking the room and making it as though an Energizer bunny on crack was working the generators. "Derek, what's going on?" Fury asked.

"Mary's not dead." Derek said, turned and then with a flash, he was gone.

A second later, there was a shockwave that tossed all the doctors and everyone in the room onto the ground. The machines broke, crumpled, and were destroyed. Fury was the first to rise and slowly dusted himself off. He turned and looked at Christian. "Sommers, get me all the data we have on the variant of the Serum we gave Derek." He said. "And get me Matthews."