The Coffee Shop

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

The Coffee Shop

Post by Foxx »

The Coffee Shop

The door opened, jingling a little series of bells as it did. A black man walked into the establishment, dressed in a somewhat dirty, but not filthy dark grey suit. It was a suit that looked like it belonged to a man who wore it often and had worn it for some time. He walked through until he found a booth and deposited himself there. His hands were on the table, clasped together, and he looked around, his eyes giving off a rather forlorn look. Forlorn might have been the wrong word. Maybe the right word would have been preoccupied, but there was definitely a hint of sadness to them.

The blond waitress who walked over had a look in her eyes as well. The look of a woman who was a bit tired of what she was doing. She took his order, for a simple cup of coffee and walked away. Though she couldn’t help it, she wondered whether or not he could pay for it. He didn’t look like someone who had a lot of money that was for sure. Chiding herself for the knee jerk reaction, she got the cup of coffee and gave it to him.

He sipped at it, slowly.

It was a cold day in New York City, that was sure. The heating in the coffee shop wasn’t the greatest, so the coffee was doubly needed. Looking at his watch, he waited, contemplating just what was going to happen that day. A cold, dreary day, snow was everywhere. But that didn’t mean that the possibilities weren’t endless. They were always endless.

Looking out of one of the windows, the man contemplated that idea. The possibilities were endless. Anything could happen, and that made the day so very interesting. It was one thing that kept him up at nights, many nights. Thinking about everything and considering the variables. The building blocks of probability, if you thought about it. In the same way that atoms and molecules were the building blocks of the universe itself. These were building blocks that one could take and manipulate. In that way, one could manipulate the variables, if they knew them, if they could understand them. They could do wondrous things.

Like burn it all to the ground.

Ninzi

Re: The Coffee Shop

Post by Ninzi »

A man walked into the coffee shop, and looked around, as if he was trying to find someone, or something. Seeing the object of his search, he walked over to where the man in the suit was and stood there, by the end of the booth. He waited, patiently. The other man was stirring half and half into another cup of coffee. Delicately, he tapped the spoon on the side of the cup, making a clinking sound a few times before he set the spoon down on the saucer.

Lifting the cup to his lips, he looked up, dead into the eyes of the one who had come to the booth. Without a word, the standing man took a seat.

“I got your message.” The man said, after the blonde waitress took his order for a coffee as well. “I don’t understand what it is that you want.”

“I am in need of assistance. You have the ability to provide that assistance.” The black man said. “You have a choice, whether you wish to give me the assistance I require. There are things that I can do, and things that I can’t do.”

“Well, I need to at least hear what it is that you want to do.”

RCCrow

Post by RCCrow »

“We all have gifts in this world.” The black man said, looking down at his left palm as his right index finger drew some unseen pattern, some invisible design on the palm. “You have gifts, I have gifts. I have a benefactor who needs something from someone. I could easily just walk in and obtain these items for myself, but I need assistance. That’s where you come in. That’s where everyone that I’ve contacted enters this waltz of mine.” The man said.

“You’re not giving me details.”

“Of course not. Why would I give details when you haven’t promised that you’ll help? A promise is a promise, even if it’s not given with full intention. It warps the mind, gives it a sense of purpose. A sense of guilt, if the promise isn’t followed. Why, I can’t think of but a scant few things that are stronger than a promise.” The black man said with a wistful smile as he looked up from his fingerwork.

“Riddles. That’s what I’m getting from you.” The man said, and looked away, at the wall, as annoyance rippled through him. One of his hands came up to cover his mouth as he thought about the nonsense that the black man in front of him was saying.

“Don’t mind, Scott. He’s so deliciously ambivalent about life sometimes. You have to pay attention to grasp the details. But trust me, it's worth it.”

Both men turned to see a striking black haired woman standing there. Many of the other patrons had stopped what they were doing to look at her, because she didn’t fit. The coffee shop wasn’t the most upscale, and in fact everyone in there was dressed rather plainly. But this woman wore a black suit with a black fur wrapped around her neck. Jewels were at her ears, complimenting a necklace that she wore.

“Ah, Mademoiselle Gespard.” Scott said. “You’ve arrived.”

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“Therese Gespard, may I introduce you to, Tobias Jeffreys. He’s an exceptional person, though often times, he takes a far too limited view of the world.” Scott said.

“May I?” Therese asked, and Jeffreys nodded, sliding over in the booth so that she would have a place to sit.

The blond waitress came over and took the woman’s order, for a tea, something different from the two coffees that were on the table.

“I heard you had a run in with some interesting characters in South America?” Scott asked, after the tea was set on the table, steam wafting up into the air. “Nothing too troubling for you, I hope.” He said, a mild look of concern on his face, though he knew very well that the woman seated across from him was very capable of taking care of herself.

She shook her head, a smile on her face. It was the look of one amused by the choice of words of her conversational partner, not the look of someone amused by the situation that they were referring to.

“It wasn’t the easiest of things to get out of, but I managed to do it all the same.” She said. “With a click of my boots.” Therese added with a small smirk, as she took a sip from her green tea with honey. “Why, I don’t know who S.H.I.E.L.D. is recruiting these days, but they do need to step it up, I’d say.”

Ninzi

Post by Ninzi »

Tobias shook his head slowly. "We're getting away from the point here. You know what my profession is, I'm a man who appreciates the straightforward. Would either of you two be willing to do that for me?" He asked.

"Oh, well, alright." Scott said. He leaned forward, and whispered rather conspiratorially, "We're going to break into Stark Industries." He said.

Tobias' eyes widened. "You've got to be kidding me." He said, and started laughing. "There's no way in hell I want to go near Stark Industries. I tried to work there, you know. I got kicked out, they said that my weapons designs were too efficient. Too good at killing. Burke even wanted to buy all my patents and never do anything with them, to keep them under wraps." He said, the last part with a snort. "None of it made any sense. I swore I would never take another step inside a Stark Industries building."

"Even to get one over good ole Alex Burke?" Therese asked with a small smile. She reached out and took his spoon, swirling it around in his cup of coffee. The look she gave him was more than suggestive. "To me, it would be a bit interesting, to get under his skin and hurt him where it counts. That guy Warpath tried but he wasn't that good at it." She said. "One man, by himself, can't hurt Alex Burke. But together, we've got a shot. Especially since we're not going anywhere near Burke himself."

"What's in it for me?" Tobias asked. When Scott stared at him, he waved his hand and made a face. "Besides trying to get back at Alex Burke."

Scott's face changed, to a smile. "There's the money, for one. My benefactor will be paying well, I can promise you that. In addition, any technology that you can download and take with you, is yours." Scott said. "Think of what you could do with twenty minutes of unbridled access to Stark Industries' database?" He asked, the question more rhetorical than anything. He knew damn well that he was whetting Tobias Jeffreys' appetite.

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“You know I’m in.” Therese said, and Scott smiled, nodding slowly. “What’s your plan?” She asked.

“We need access to the secure database of Stark Industries. That’s tough to get, but it’s not impossible.” Scott said. “More importantly than that, we need something to ensure that Alex Burke himself will be occupied.” He said.

“He seems pretty occupied right now.” Therese said, pointing at the television where the news channel was talking about what was happening in Africa at that moment. All of them had been hearing the voices in their heads, but now the voices, the chanting of God save us, Everyone, had finally gone away. All three of the people in the booth turned and looked at the television, watching it for a few moments.

The video was from a distance, and you could barely see anything. But then again, it was symbolic, in a sense, of what life was like for the average person who saw these titans of power and skill. You watched them from the distance, because you were never truly close to them. They were myths, things that people talked about, nothing more.

“Yes, but we’re not going to make this move for some time.” Scott said with a small smile. “Who knows what Burke will be doing by then? Or even if he’ll be alive. The variables, once again, always make things interesting. Either way, we’re going to play to Burke’s greatest weakness.” He said.

“What’s that?” Therese asked, a slight frown flitting over her features.

“Women.”

RCCrow

Post by RCCrow »

“You don’t expect me to let Alex Burke touch me, do you?” Therese said, making a face. “He’s not exactly my type.” She said.

“No, it was not my intention to have you involved with Alex Burke.” Scott said with a small smile. “I wouldn’t subject you to that. I know how much you dislike men with soft hands.” He said, with a look of mock horror on his face.

Therese for her part gave him a look of her own and it looked as though the two shared some sort of inside joke about a past event known only to them. For his part though, Tobis was starting to get agitated again. He figured that these two had some sort of history between them, but that didn't mean that they could just keep leaving him in the dark about all of this.

“So what then is your plan?” Tobias asked, looking between the two of them. “It’s not like this plan will work otherwise.” He added.

“Tobias, one day, I will have to sit you down and talk to you about chaos theory and the idea of things changing constantly.” Scott said, looking down at his mug of coffee. “But as it stands, I don’t think we’ll have time. There may be time for a crash course though, so make sure that you’re paying attention, right now.” He said.

He slid his coffee mug to the right, and held it there, as the blond waitress came and started to pour him another mug of coffee. Scott looked up, smiling at the woman. “Now, what did you say your name was?” He asked.

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

She hadn’t been expecting it, so the coffee pitcher bobbled in her hand for a moment. Looking over at Scott, the blond woman’s eyes took on a slight modicum of uncertainty. “M-My name?” She asked, stammering slightly. “Katy,” She said, when he nodded. “Katy Melrose.” The waitress added, glancing around at the table.

Therese wore a look of amusement, while Tobias was interested in just what was going on in front of him. Nobody was more curious than she was, and her eyes found again the man who had stopped her on her simple coffee rounds.

Scott smiled. “Katy Melrose, that’s a beautiful name. Tell me, Katy, how long have you been working here?” He asked.

“About four months.” She said, starting to get a little bit surer of herself. Looking past them, at the wall, she considered. “Yeah, it’s been about four months.” Katy added, nodding.

“In that time, how many conversations like ours have you eavesdropped on?” Scott asked, and when her eyes went wide, his hand reached out, placing itself atop of hers. He held her there, her eyes fixed on his. “Now, now, don’t do anything rash.” He said. “I know who you are. You’re an NYU grad student, with too much debt. Your parents were small time criminals who fought against Spider-Man back in the day, and you just want to know how you’re supposed to make it in the world without becoming like your dear old parents.”

“How…how do you know that?” Katy asked.

“He’s special like that.” Therese said with a smile.

“How do you know that?” Tobias asked.

“Variables, Tobias. It’s all about understanding that the slightest of change in things can produce the most interesting of results. Really, I need you to start paying attention. You’re supposed to be a weapons designer that means you should be smart.” Scott said. “You get an invitation to come to meet me in a coffee shop, and you think I randomly chose said shop out of all of the coffee shops in New York City?” He asked, sparing the other man in the booth a glance.

“Well, now that you mention it…” Tobias said, profusely.

“Now that I mention it.” Scott repeated with a smile, one that was turned back towards Katy. “He doesn’t understand,” he said with a sigh, “that the purpose of this meeting wasn’t to meet him or Therese, it was to meet you.” Scott said with a smile.

“Me? Why me?” Katy asked.

“Because you’re the bait.”

Ninzi

Post by Ninzi »

"You want her to be the bait, when we set a trap for Alex Burke?" Tobias asked with a confused smile. "No offense to this girl, I'm sure she's lovely, but what are her credentials to do something like that? Because her parents were low time criminals who fought Spider-Man?" He asked.

"Something like that, yes." Therese said, nodding. "I think I get what Scott is going for." She said, and turned towards Katy. "Quite beautiful, and very unassuming. You have a mean streak about you, I can see it. But Burke isn't going to expect the swerve coming, and that's what makes you so good." She said.

Scott smiled. "Therese understands."

"Okay, but I'm not quite sure that I do." Katy said, shaking her head. She was waving the coffee pitcher as she did, and Therese reached out and took it from her, gently setting it down on the table.

"Then you're not listening. I know what you have." Scott said, and his face broke out into a big smile. "I know what your parents left you and I can show you how to use it."

"That useless rock?" Katy asked, putting a hand on her hip. "What about it? I had it appraised, it's practically worthless."

Tobias's face changed. Her entire demeanor had shifted. Before she had looked like the comely little coffee shop worker, someone who was too tired to be there. It was still there, but now there was an edge to it. Her eyes had shifted, becoming harder, and now he was starting to see what it was that Scott was talking about. Here was some potency, some moxie. It was as if there was a different woman who had been hiding underneath a shell. Even her accent had changed slightly.

Now things were getting interesting.

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“It’s far much more interesting than you think it is.” Scott said, a small smile on his face. “Now, I can tell from the look on your face that you’ve become very mercenary in your thoughts, but I can tell you that your thought process isn’t the one that you should have.”

He smiled and tapped the rim of his coffee mug. She poured absentmindedly, keeping her gaze on him the entire time. The whole motion was completed without a drop spilled. Reaching into her apron, she pulled out a few packets of sugar and a few containers of cream.

“Let’s talk.” He said. “It’s a powerful item, one that can give the user a myriad of abilities. But you need to know how to control it. That’s something that I can teach you.” He said, leaning back in the booth. “If you’re willing to let me.” He said, gesturing towards her with open arms. The look that he was giving her told her that the ball was in her court, that all of it was her decision.

She’d never had that kind of power before in her life, and she automatically found it suspect.

“If my parents had this…this rock, why did they lose to Spider-Man?” Katy asked.

“That’s a good question.” Scott said, nodding his head.

“Maybe they didn’t know how to control it?” Tobias asked, looking at Scott. “I mean, if it’s a piece of technology, sometimes it can be very technical.” He said. “I know, with my own creations, it takes a very clever mind to understand them.”

“That’s true.” Katy said. She looked at Tobias and then at Scott. Her eyes carried a look of cautious trust in them. “You can teach me how to use it?” She asked.

“If you help us with our needs.” Scott said in reply.

Ninzi

Post by Ninzi »

Tobias saw that she was pondering whether or not to help them. He thought about everything that they had been discussing. This whole situation was one of Scott's more inane plans. The man was a genius, but sometimes the way that he spoke, those riddles of his, they were too confusing. Tobias was a smart man, too. Not on Scott's level, that was for sure. That man could understand what put things together, what made them click. Honestly, Tobias wasn't sure why Scott had never been as successful as Alex Burke or even Lincoln McCray. They were inventors as well, but their successes had been far more widespread and lucrative than Scott's own. Still, the man had a brain like theirs, that was for sure.

He wasn't sure if the plan would work. Hell, he wasn't sure if it could work. What he did know was that if he was a gambling man, and some of his debts showed that he was, Tobias was willing to put money on Scott being able to outsmart Alex Burke.

"In the very least, you'll learn what the rock can do and what it can do, for you." He said.

"Now he's getting the picture." Scott said with a smile.

"Or he just wants to get his hands on Stark Tech." Therese replied, her smile conveying quite a different feeling than Scott's. His was actual happiness, her was sarcastic mirth. Only one of them was appreciated by Tobias.
Ninzified lol.

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“I’ll help you.” Katy said. “What is it that you need me to do?” She asked.

“We need you to be a distraction.” Scott replied. “You see, Alexander Burke is a complicated man, but while he has many strengths, he also has some notable weaknesses.” He said. He absentmindedly started to play with one of the packets of sugar, staring intently at the packet. “Burke is a man focused on a great number of things all the time.” He said, and tore open the packet of sugar, pouring some of it out into his hand. “Like the sugar crystals, his mind can be proportioned and barricaded, different neurons firing for a myriad of reasons. Its a mind at once focused and distracted.”

“What’s your point?” She asked.

He poured the sugar into the cup of coffee. “Simply put, we’re going to focus it on one task, much like the sugar is now.” He said, as he stirred his coffee.

“You’re going to focus Alex Burke on me?” She asked, almost laughing.

“You’re quite fetching.” Scott said, finally bringing his eyes up to her. “I have no doubt that you are physically able to entice Burke. After all, he’s never able to find a woman that he truly likes, and he has his pick when it comes to that.”

“Therese excluded.” Therese said.

“Therese excluded.” Scott conceded.