Fire Flame: Out of the Ashes (One Shot)

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters

“Well that was a fucking mess.” Tiffany Michaels said. She was sitting, in civilian clothes, in Nick Fury’s office. Katherine Ansley was standing and she periodically looked down at her friend to check the bandaging that had been applied to Tiffany’s wounds. Thankfully, her level of durability had been such that she had been able to survive the devastating attack from the Phoenix. Ansley had made her business, as a doctor, to study Nick Fury. She understood a lot about him and she knew that in order to figure out what his decisions were going to be, you had to understand him. That was what was difficult about him, it was often times rather hard to properly understand him.

As it was, Fury was sitting behind his desk, looking out of the window of his office. “Damage control went to work. And we’ve estimated the total monetary loss to be somewhere over sixty billion dollars. That’s going to be a pretty penny, but S.H.I.E.L.D. is contributing money in order to help New York pay for what happened.” He said. It was obvious that he was waiting for something and when the doors opened to his office, Katherine saw that this was what it was.

Francis Kyle, the deputy director of S.H.I.E.L.D., walked into Fury’s office. The dirty blonde haired man had a folder in his hands but not a smile on his face. “They weren’t able to get him.” He said.

“Fucking hell.” Fury said. “Were they able to get a good look at his face and confirm?” He asked.

“Yeah, Gabrielle got a look at that guy, but from what we know about him, he’s good at surgery.” Francis said. “You know what’s really interesting?” He asked. “We knew that he was flying from New York to London. We know that his face, and that the name registered with the airline was a fake. The picture ID we have, I should have placed it earlier, we might have been able to get him. I only visited Michelle Crawford once in the hospital.” He said.

“What are you talking about?” Tiffany asked, looking at Kyle.

He dropped the folder on Fury’s desk. “Who does that remind you of?” He asked. Fury had never seen these documents, hadn’t been briefed on the mutant doctor that they had been going after. There had been a brief on what he was doing, but they hadn’t had a clear cut picture for him, because he was a brilliant doctor who was exceptional at modifying appearance. Opening the folder, he leaned back in his chair and he cursed.

“Gregory Monroe. That was Michelle Crawford’s doctor while she was in the coma. He was right in front of us the whole time, the bastard just had a different face.” He said. “He could have her genetic material in his possession now.” Fury said, rising. “Alright, have Gabrielle and Charles return and let’s see where we can go from there.” He said and sighed. This life was never easy, and it never slowed down. Ever. His wife had known that. That was why things hadn’t been able to work out properly between them. Now wasn’t the time to think about that though. There was work that needed to be done, and these things required his full concentration.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hours later, Fury was in his office, by himself. Everyone else had gone home for the day. But not him. He was standing and looking out of the window. The world had changed in the past few days, drastically. They were going to have to pick up the pieces and figure out where to go from there. Striking a match, he brought it up to his face, lighting the cigar that he had there. A few puffs later, and the cigar was properly lit. Out the window, in the distance, he could see the bright lights of Manhattan. The rebuilding effort that was going on there would take a while. But in the end, they had stopped something that could have spiraled out of control and been far more dangerous to the rest of the world. It was a shame that in order for that to happen, that people like Michelle Crawford had needed to die. Well, not needed, but she had died all the same.

He remembered when he’d first met her, when S.H.I.E.l.D. had brought her on for some telepathic consultant work.

Now she was dead, she was gone. He had been the man who’d pulled the trigger. Reaching back to his desk, Fury grabbed the scotch that he’d been working on. About to take a sip, his movements stopped, when his office phone rang. Confused, Fury walked over to it. Who the hell would be calling him so late in the evening? And why? He answered the phone, putting it on speaker.

“Hello.” He said.

“Nick.” 

Fury’s eyes narrowed.

“What do you want, Isaiah?” He asked. “I’ve had a bit of an interesting day, today, and I’m not particularly in the mood to talk right now.” The Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. said.

“Well then, just listen. I heard about what happened. Shame about Michelle Crawford.” Isaiah Muir said. “But it got me thinking. S.H.I.E.L.D. needs to be able to respond to threats and respond to problems and be able to deploy with precision and speed. You don’t have full capabilities like that, not yet.”

“We do fine the way we are.” Fury replied.

“Granted, but you could do better.” Isaiah replied. “Check your email.”

Nick moved his mouse, waking the computer out of sleep mode. He inputed his password and then went to his email. There was a new message from Wayne Enterprises. Clicking on it, he looked at the image and then smiled.

“You want to build a Helicarrier.”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

“I can’t believe it.” James said. 

He was sitting on the rooftop of the apartment building that he lived in. Michelle hadn’t caused a huge amount of damage to their home, just everything around the building, which was actually rather interesting, all things considered. His legs dangled over the side of the tall building and he had a glass bottle of Coke in his hands. He brought it up to his lips and he drank some more. His father was sitting next to him, legs also over the edge. He did not have a bottle of Coke in his hands, rather he had something a bit stronger. 

“I’m sorry, James.” Julius said. It was the best that he could do in the situation and that fact hurt him. Disgusted him really. S.H.I.E.L.D., Fury, even the role of Spider-Man itself, it had caused him and his so much pain over the years. This was just another thing to add to the list, and it was one of the biggest. He was hurting himself and he could only imagine what this was doing to James. Michelle and James had shared a close bond and he knew that despite all the arguing they’d had about James going out on patrols, he’d loved the fact that someone was trying to protect him, that someone was acting so protective. It had made him feel wanted and loved, things that James hadn’t really had in his life.

“What happened to her body, again, Dad?” James asked.

“I don’t know. One second it was there, and the next it was gone. I can’t make heads or tails of it.” He said.

“She’s not gone.” James said. “I don’t believe it.” He said.

Julius didn’t have the heart to tell his adopted son that his stepmother was dead. He understood what James was saying. They didn’t have a body so it stood to reason with all of the people with powers, that it could be believable that Michelle wasn’t dead. But that wasn’t something that Julius could believe. He had seen enough bad things in his life that as much as he tried to hope for the good, he just expected it to be the bad. If James still had that hope in life, then he wasn’t going to squash it. Michelle wouldn’t want him too.

“She’ll be back.” James said. “I know she will.”