New Saber Cannon

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

New Saber Cannon

Post by Red Dragon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Rfed9kHtc

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyber_crystal

Cool but I'm torn, I like it and at the same time I prefer the old cannon... What do you guys think?

The new cannon also kinda doesn't make sense... Like how ashoka's saber colors were different when she was in the jedi order, her main saber and shoto being separate colors, then just because shes out of the order she builds new lightsabers and now the color of her new crystals are white...
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Pryngles

Re: New Saber Cannon

Post by Pryde »

I've known about this for awhile. Kind of makes me wonder whether or not I should change Felicity's lightsaber color. Purple's my favorite color so naturally I picked that one but she doesn't really "toe the line" between light and dark. >.>
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

I've never much cared for the idea of lightsaber colors matching one's personality or Force affiliation.

But, if it's canon, now....
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

I can't find the videographer's source on crystals changing color specifically due to affiliation. Looks like Wook's getting its info from three sources on that: (1) Ultimate Star Wars, which makes no reference to this detail and, in fact, refers to kyber crystals as already having color when found, (2) StarWars.com Databank, which says pretty much exactly the same thing Wook does, and (3) a Clone Wars episode, which I haven't seen, but given that Wook's description of it doesn't even mention kyber crystals, I doubt this kind of detail comes up.

The information on Databank makes it sound completely random. Yes, it could be based on Force affiliation, or it could be actively selected by powerful users, but none of that says, "Blue users are physical, green are spiritual, purple walk the line, and red are all evil!" So I don't know where the videographer's getting that.

I dunno. It's the sort of thing where I'd imagine that a character would get their color, and it would be perfect for them, and they'd know that, and it wouldn't so much be about their particular affiliation or style, just the Force being attuned to the way they work, without specifics. So no one would ever be shoehorned into a specific color because they act a certain way sometimes.

It also doesn't explain how the Empire managed to turn the Death Star's kyber crystal(s) green, of all colors.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Easy enough. Because the Empire's lasers are green, and the Rebellion's are red. We wouldn't want to confuse people with red "superlasers" coming from an Imperial-aligned source, now would we? :rolleyes:

I like the idea of the crystal being more "attuned" to the individual via the Force only slightly more than I like the possibility of it being based on their affiliation or personality (however misinformed that may or may not be). But that's probably just me.

In the end, we kind of decided to follow whatever canon says, didn't we? (I'm not arguing anything, here, it's a genuine question that I've little time nor desire right now to answer for myself.)
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Well, we can't have crystals that never change color. That sounds like Science, which has no place here.

Re: individual attunement, I'm just looking for loopholes in something that sounds kinda dumb. But even if we went with my "alternative" interpretation, we'd have to be really loose with it, because otherwise, we can't explain Ahsoka "attuning" differently at different times in her life. That's better explained by "affiliation" attunement, as per the video.

I don't know that I have (or will have) any characters in the new canon that are actually going to build lightsabers, so this probably doesn't affect me. But if I do, I'll probably forget and ignore it, 'cause it's weird.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

There doesn't seem to be any canon source explaining why certain lightsabers are certain colors. I've looked everywhere. I can only assume the author of the video was making inferences based on the characters using those colors.

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

The more I thought about this, the more I got an image in my head of a Sith trolling the Jedi by walking through a kyber crystal cave and turning them all red before the Jedi show up to make their lightsabers.

An alternative loophole, based on the description on the Databank (to wit, "Because Jedi let the Force guide their selection of the crystal..."): maybe all kyber crystals just look colorless until "harvested" from a deposit, and Jedi pick the ones they pick because reasons. But that would probably result in a big pile of "rejects" that would all be red if they ever got harvested.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Supposedly there's some sort of trial a padawan has to go through before he/she can be granted a kyber crystal. Something like what Ezra had to do on Lothal. Plus there's a bunch of stuff I read about the crystal choosing it's Jedi also, so I don't think a Sith could just go through Ilum turning every crystal red because each crystal would have to form a bond with him.

Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

So, they're suggesting semi-sentience? :raisedbrow:
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Anakin's lightsaber wouldn't be able to call out to Rey if that weren't the case so yeah, I guess.

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

So... kyber crystals are baby Tsils? Does that mean that the Tsils are going to get the Vaathkree to pick them up so they can get revenge on the Jedi who have been kidnapping their children for thousands of years? That would make a pretty good story. And then the Jedi, in their good consciences, have to give up lightsabers. Meanwhile, Sith knew the whole time, which is why they used synthetic crystals, and they thought the Jedi were evil! That'd be a fantastic twist!

Oh, right, silly me, this is canon, not Legends.

We're just talking about cooperatively semi-sentient hyper-organized minerals. Let's not go overboard.

EDIT: Also, silly Pryde, dealing-with-me protip: if use Internet lingo like "trolling," I'm not positing a serious scenario. :P
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Yeah...

I'll just pick a colour and move along. It's not like it has much significance for the story, right? Who cares why the lightsaber is blue, as long as we know the colour.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Most of the time even the color is irrelevant. :|
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Apparently the crystal changes color when a lightsaber is built. Which is great because Felicity lost her first lightsaber (well, technically she didn't yet, I guess, cause that thread is still in its infancy and it's not lost per se just damaged beyond repair) and she'll have to construct a new one. That crystal was originally blue but I was planning on having it change to purple. Now I know that totally fits with the new canon.

... Although, people 'round here probably still don't care. Oh well, it made me happy... >.>

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

In your defense, I don't think anyone started caring less.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life