Hello, I am new!

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

PhantomFury

Hello, I am new!

Post by PhantomFury »

I have notice SW:Exodus for a very long time, and was hesitant if I can easily integrate into the the already vivid community that easily. I am a big SW fan and after a considerable amount of experience in RP, I finally decide to give the community a try. Is there anything I should know about, first and foremost as a newbie to the Exodus? Any other usable information that would benefit me would be appreciated. From what I have seen from your wikia, I presume one can make his/her own species, planets and so on and so forth; which is a great idea. I am a realistic RPer most of the time and often stick to the SW established knowledge/detail (in Legends, but I'm slowly getting to know the Canon). But to get myself started, I got a few questions in mind:
1. How to coordinate group RP?
2. Are there any commonly used formats for posts? (bold, italics, etc.)
3. Do you need to provide your OC's bio in-RP or can you just link it to the wikia page?
4. How active is the community?
5. How to join another person's RP? (I presume you PM them or something along that line)
6. What kind of RPers dominate this community? Realistics? Powergrabbers? Scheming/manipulative types?
7. Can you have more than one OC?

Hopefully we will get along, May the Force be with you! :luke:
Pryde
Pryngles

Re: Hello, I am new!

Post by Pryde »

More new people, that's exciting! Um, RP here is a bit more free range than on other forums. I'm kind of on the move right now or I'd elaborate. Just wanted to say hi and welcome and next time I find myself at my keyboard I'll be sure to answer those questions for you.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Ah screw it, bus is late.

1. I think most coordination is done via PM or OOC threads through the forum but we do have a Facebook group and some of us probably prefer other forms of communication. (We're pretty close knit so some of us may even communicate over the phone.)

2. We use bold and italics pretty much as you see them in novels like when a character is shouting or thinking and the reader is listening to his/her thoughts. Other than that we don't really have any preferred formats.

3. Character bios are optional. Around here we prefer to flesh out our characters through role play. The wiki is also an optional thing but I think Mir would like for people to use it as it makes his job as story coordinator easier. He's even volunteered to post the wiki page for people who are unsure how to do it or don't have time.

4. It can move pretty slowly around here, I'll be honest. There aren't much of us left from the golden years, but with the board wide reset we've gotten a bit more active.

5. Post in the OOC or PM the author. ;)

6. Level headed people, no scheming or manipulation here. Except Mir, he's definitely scheming something. Story rules everything here, we're not interested in building a power base and going to war with other members in the community.

7. There is no limit on how many characters you can create. There is one limit, however, and it may be temporary depending how things go. That limit is two Force Sensitives per member. Since we rebooted to the Episode VII universe Force Sensitives are much more rare so the limit is to reflect that.

Best rule of thumb here is if you want to do something but you're not sure how people will react to it just ask. ;)

(Sidebar: any grammatical mistakes are the fault of my phone, I swear!)
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Enriler
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

I also wanted to say hi. I'm a little newer hear, but with the help of some awesome people I have been able to jump in, head first. I asked Jagtai, Mir, and Pryde dozens of questions as I began. My personal rule of thumb, was that if I didn't know exactly... I would ask.

I'm not saying you have to take that approach, but it has allowed me to become an active member on several threads and I have only been on for a little over a month. So if you have any questions regarding certain starting out things, feel free to ask me in a forum or via PM.

It looks like Pryde answered your 7 questions, let us know if you have any more. :)
Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Welcome, Phantom :)

As Pryde and Enriler has already said, if you're unsure of anything, just ask. We're here to help :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Xalsin

Post by Xalsin »

Welcome aboard. It's always good to have fresh voices in the mix, it's what keeps a community from stagnating. . The only unsolicited advice I have is focus on quality over quantity. The more interesting your character and writing is, the more people will want to write with you, and the more fun everyone will have.

The other thing I would say is just jump in. Find someone who's writing you like and who you want to write with, PM them and ask where you can jump in. If you wait too long, then motivation and interest dwindle and it gets harder and harder to get involved with the community.
Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

Hello!
Keep your confessions,
Cause babe, I’m no saint.
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

Welcome to the SWE. Everyone has covered the basics. Ask is you need clarification on anything is the best method.

The only stupid question is the one not asked. Unless you're Jag, his are usually just stupid. *smirk*
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Yeah, don't listen to Nichalus. He's old and his mind is not what it used to be (not that it was much to begin with).

:P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
PhantomFury

Post by PhantomFury »

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome and answers to the questions! :lol: I am sure I will ask questions when I have them! I am currently in the process of making my OC (who happens to be a custom species), and I will join when I feel confident about him! As for now, can someone give me a brief summery for anything big that happened in the board?
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

Your best bet is the 'new' Exodus Galaxy forum, which is set two year prior to The Force Awakens. That forum and the (Legend) forum are basically 'our' Star Wars Universe that we created that is set within the 'known' Star Wars history.

The Rules for these forums are Here

PhantomFury

Post by PhantomFury »

Nichalus wrote:Your best bet is the 'new' Exodus Galaxy forum, which is set two year prior to The Force Awakens. That forum and the (Legend) forum are basically 'our' Star Wars Universe that we created that is set within the 'known' Star Wars history.

The Rules for these forums are Here
Thanks! Have there been anything in the "new" EG that deviate the continuity from what was given in the canon so far? (Granted, I do not know much about the canon besides Battle of Jakku and Ep. 7)
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

No, not really. The new MBT(Main Board Timeline), which is what we refer to as the EG, just opened about 3 weeks or so ago. So far we are establishing our new characters there. But we are kinda keeping it close to what is going on in the new official canon. I'm sure as we learn more from the official books and movies things will change as we go. I'm sure that plot leaks for EP VIII will be beginning soon.

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Welcome to the Exodus! While most things of note have already been said, I want to add that you are equally free and welcome to join any of the other RPing forums. The Legend forum is the board with the richest history, but the Wikia does a pretty decent job at getting anyone mostly up to speed. The Wikia admin team is currently working to improve the wiki to be inclusive of both canons equally.

Additionally, we have our various "sandbox" forums, and the World of Heroes forum. So, wherever you fancy to write, and whatever you fancy to write, we've pretty much got you covered. :)
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Greetings programs!!!!
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
PhantomFury

Post by PhantomFury »

I see, thanks you once again for the greetings! :) I will join as soon as I have the OC's image done, since describing custom species/planets/ships with just words can fall short! As for the wiki, perhaps I can do something to make it visually appealing, perhaps a wordmark when I have time.