Green Squadron: Official OOC

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Should we vote on having a vote to have a vote for a new Green Squadron thread?

Make the New Republic Green Again!
31%
Feel the Green
23%
A New Green Century
23%
Green for the New Republic
8%
Heal. Inspire. Green.
8%
Green to Victory
8%
Green for NR
No votes

Total votes: 13

Pryngles

Re: A vote to have a vote to have a vote for a new Green Squadron thread

Post by Pryde »

Enriler wrote:The reality is that everyone did move fast in their posts, because the story dictated they did not have too long to think about it (a specific time to make it to the shuttle was given). So I think the post moved naturally in that way.
That's partially true, a clear time was given but it wasn't clarified just how much time we actually had. It seemed like everyone thought the shuttle was leaving right after the meeting but in hindsight it doesn't feel like that was the case.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

By the way, are we still sticking to the 200 post limit per thread rule?

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

The main reason why the departure of people from the briefing didn't make sense, was that the commanding officer did not dismiss them. People just started leaving. Which means that no one knows really what the other people in the squadron are thinking. Regardless of when the time hack put in place by To'ran was, the obvious conclusion is that said time hack would not be put so close to the current time so as to not give the actual unit commander the ability and time to speak.

I was planning on doing a vote that would have been more than a meaningless tie in to the squadron's OOC joke about voting, but that got kind of ruined, unintentionally, for the sole purpose of moving the story forward.

Now, there's an indication that we want to do that again, also again glossing over the fundamental conflict of the entire thread, which supersedes any actual physical or verbal conflicts.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Pryde2000 wrote:By the way, are we still sticking to the 200 post limit per thread rule?
That's generally for IC threads. OOC is dealer's choice.
#Valkob4Life

Post by Nichalus »

Enriler wrote:... if I am understanding him correctly, he is saying we just need to have the shuttle reach it's destination.
And we 'will' reach that destination in good time. There is a reason why I'm not going to post:

"And the shuttle arrived at the fleet."

That is due to this particular 'fleet' is a character in of itself, which with 'patience', you all will see why shortly. The post of the arrival will 'not' be short, as there is alot to explain about this particular fleet.

Again, parts of the story may be known by everyone, but there are parts that are purposely kept quiet, or in secret, until their reveal. Some of these things that aren't known to everyone yet will have an effect on your characters, both humorous or the opposite. Much like the back stories of your characters. Only the individual character owners know absolutely the whole story of their characters, the rest of us have to wait until you reveal them...and to me personally, I love a good twist in a plot that I wasn't expecting.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Mir wrote:The main reason why the departure of people from the briefing didn't make sense, was that the commanding officer did not dismiss them. People just started leaving. Which means that no one knows really what the other people in the squadron are thinking. Regardless of when the time hack put in place by To'ran was, the obvious conclusion is that said time hack would not be put so close to the current time so as to not give the actual unit commander the ability and time to speak.

I was planning on doing a vote that would have been more than a meaningless tie in to the squadron's OOC joke about voting, but that got kind of ruined, unintentionally, for the sole purpose of moving the story forward.

Now, there's an indication that we want to do that again, also again glossing over the fundamental conflict of the entire thread, which supersedes any actual physical or verbal conflicts.
I hadn't even considered that, that makes a lot of sense. :-)
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Mir wrote:Now, there's an indication that we want to do that again, also again glossing over the fundamental conflict of the entire thread, which supersedes any actual physical or verbal conflicts.
Mir, you're being unfair here. I'm not talking about glossing over anything, I've said as much three times now. Jess isn't done dealing with the consequences of her decision and I'm sure some of the other characters here aren't either, but at least in Jess' case I know she's not the type of person to sit down and reflect on her decision thirty minutes after she's made it. It's been how many weeks since she made the decision to fire on those Bothans now and she still feels like she was right. Naturally she would have felt awful if she'd made the shot and later found out she was wrong but given the information she had in the time frame she had to make it in she feels like it was the right call. She's not done dealing with that yet, either, and that is sort of going to play into her first actual combat experience also.

Then there's the sheer amount of stuff I have planned that will happen before she even begins to head out on the journey that will eventually lead to her getting her first lightsaber yet in spite of all that your last few posts here seem to be trying to convince me that all I'm advocating for here is glossing over important details. That's not even true at all, glossing over unnecessary details maybe but I'm not saying we absolutely need to get to the fleet right now. Enriler's post looks like it might lead to something meaningful. Unfortunately, I can only speak with Damien at the moment as Jess is still fuming over the whole Jedi thing and he's not going to be the one to speak first so I have to wait, but at least in Jess' case she's not going to feel the full weight of her decision right now. Jess is an impulsive character, she made an impulsive decision and Damien? Well, Damien volunteered because of a girl.

Point is there's a lot more going on than you seem to think there is but it's stuff that has to happen later when there is actually time for her to reflect and at the moment it feels like I'm being pressured into doing all that stuff right now. Almost as though not having my character reflect at this very moment somehow means she's never going to reflect at all. And just to be clear I'm not at all advocating moving the thread along just so I can get to a point where I can further my own character's story. I'd like to and yeah it's at the forefront of my mind (I'd be lying if I said it wasn't), but I'm just as invested in Mae and Ty's story and Jax and Damus' story as I am in Jess' and trying to get all of that stuff to come out right now on a thirty minute shuttle ride just doesn't feel like the right time. For the third and final time (or is it the fourth, I lost count... >.> ) all I'm saying is let's not push people into interacting with each other if the only thing that comes out of it is an artificial lengthening of the story.

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

And I'll take full responsibility for walking out on the meeting cause yeah, that was my fault. :(

Post by Nichalus »

Pryde....remember when you said something about your foot in your mouth?

Where is anyone 'pushing' for others to interact? Its' the weekend, and posts slow down considerably, or not at all, on the weekend. I had to travel north today, so the arrival at the fleet wasn't going to happen this weekend anyway, most likely tomorrow. So where is this 'pushing' coming from?

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

*Sigh* Never mind. I was going to write a response but now I feel like I've spent too much energy as it is on something that I probably just imagined so I'm just going to let it drop, for real this time. I probably have some homework I need to be doing anyway.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

None of us are saying people have to post. You're the only one asking us to skip ahead.
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I never said skip ahead... You know what, forget it. Just forget it... :?

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

There's a difference between direct and indirect implication. In the same way there's a difference between intentional and unintentional consequences.
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I said I was done and I'm not going to continue to explain myself because apparently you would rather draw your own conclusions from what I'm trying to say instead of listening to what I'm actually trying to say. You and my old roommate, man, I only ever have this problem with lawyers. ><

Anyway, I'm just going to wait for an opportunity to post now.

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

For a brief outsider's perspective, Pryde said that he wants the characters to face some adversity, which is not synonymous with action. And he's right, adversity doesn't come up very often on 30-minute shuttle rides. He also never said that he wanted to skip ahead. From reading his posts, it looks like he's worried about the group trudging through a bunch of fluff posts waiting for someone to advance the story to a more meaningful setting--he's not aiming to compel people to advance the story before they've finished the meaningful now.

On the other side of it, there doesn't appear to be any pressure to interact now. Characters are free to interact while story-advancing posts get written (which usually takes a little while). Basically, the meaningful now isn't done yet for at least several characters. (This does not conflict with Pryde's request, but may seem to because his request was misinterpreted.)

On a third side of this imaginary object, I often have characters in large threads that aren't good at communication, so in "interaction" periods (like the current state of this thread), I post tiny "reflection" posts that don't do much, or can't post anything because my interaction is done, and then two or three pages later, I'm either lost in the hubbub or I feel like my character is weaker and less developed than everyone else's because I wasn't able to participate. So there may be some inferred pressure to post feelings and interactions even when there's no intended pressure.
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Mir wrote:The main reason why the departure of people from the briefing didn't make sense, was that the commanding officer did not dismiss them. People just started leaving. Which means that no one knows really what the other people in the squadron are thinking. Regardless of when the time hack put in place by To'ran was, the obvious conclusion is that said time hack would not be put so close to the current time so as to not give the actual unit commander the ability and time to speak.

That was really your fault as much as ours - you could have coordinated with Nich and posted it here, instead of assuming we know your preferred method of posting. We can't read thoughts, you know.
Mir wrote:Now, there's an indication that we want to do that again, also again glossing over the fundamental conflict of the entire thread, which supersedes any actual physical or verbal conflicts.
That's not what Pryde is saying. He's just saying that we have to careful not to slow down too much.

And you and Nich seriously need to stop acting like you own the thread. I'm sure it's not intentional, but you do come off like the rest of us is only here to enhance your thread. Just saying.

Then again, that could just be me misinterpreting things.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Guys, I appreciate it but I didn't really mean to start a whole thing. Mir and Nich are running the thread and they've got a good plan. Let's see it through. Me, I'm just worrying about phantoms. Let's not turn this into something that it isn't.

Post by Nichalus »

Actually Jag, that IS a huge misinterpretation. The initial getting to the fleet, the beginnings of the group leaving the NR is 'still' being talked out, as well as introducing everyones characters...this is the first run with these particular characters you know, and I'm sure everyone is still fleshing them out, and the courses that they will be taking individually.

This first part is getting to the Red Dagger Fleet, again along with introductions of characters. After that is the first mission which is 'still' being formed. Ideas are being shared, hell Mir even posted:
Mir wrote:Does anyone want to go first with planning and mapping out a big bad of sorts for us? Remember, everyone will get a turn to plan out a "bad" guy or entity for GS to go up against. So thinking caps on people.
To which I threw out my idea, which will be the cause for the GS/RDF to break for the NR after they begin and end that mission. The actual mission to disrupt and/or destroy the Smuggling Operation is 'still' a forming story. So I guess you could say that I'm controlling this aspect from a certain point of view. By getting us to the fleet, and then working out how you all want to attack it, since...thankfully...To'ran isn't going to be a part of those missions. Can't have a group of large ships just pop in a system when its a convert mission to find the smugglers and take them out. However the groups are decided is going to be up to you all...we'll come up with some guidelines for where we all want to end up, but the meat of the missions, or how its done from the groups that will be formed to do them, will be up to you all.
Jagtai wrote:That's not what Pryde is saying. He's just saying that we have to careful not to slow down too much.
And how exactly are we 'slowing down too much'? The thread has been progressing with multiple posts daily since it began, and now...as I said...we are at the weekend, and posts almost always slow down on the weekend. So you or Pryde 'please' explain to me how we have 'slowed down.'

This whole thing started with Pryde saying:
Pryde wrote:Can we maybe try to avoid taking things too slowly?
Again, the thread has 68 posts in 25 days...I would call that progress. The arrival at the fleet, as I said, will most likely drop tomorrow. Then we have everyone's reactions to that, settling in to the new ships, etc...and that will give us time to hash out the 'action' part of the story. So how are we at risk of going 'too slowly'. We have to give everyone some time to post, if we don't, then we risk alienating a member because someone wants to move faster. Jag, you yourself are admittedly not a 'fast' poster, I'm sure its due to you having to find the window of sobriety between village raids, so I don't want to leave anyone behind.

I kinda knew this would happen, it always does when you have this many people in one thread. But, in my opinion, this whole thing 'was' Mir's idea to get started. I do not think that he is being closed minded, and he has asked for everyone's input on this, as well as I have for my part in this beginning.

So I ask again....How are we moving, or at risk of, moving too slow?

**Strike the question, just saw Pryde's post. But I spent the time typing it. But ..well...there it is.**

The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

As I said, I could be misinterpreting things. I wasn't trying to be a jerk (not that you called me one).

Yeah, the lack of sobriety is why I'm a slow poster >.> <.< Nothing do with my doing lots of other stuff, nope :P

Actually, my lack of posting is because I'm trying to find windows for Jaclen to say something. She is the new kid. I'd rather post a few but large posts than one-liners like "Jaclen looked around. What a bunch of ..." and such ;)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

As a friend of mine would say, 'It's like hearding Cat's!'

I guess the lesson learned is that if there's a specific path someone wants us to follow for a few posts it needs to be made clear in the OCC which should stop things like the breifing issue repeating. I always tell my trainees at work that rule number one is never assume.

And as for slowing down I took that to mean the pacing of the thread, but as long as we're all having fun then it's not an issue, right? And look at me, I've made more IC posts in this thread than in the past 2-3 years! I'm posting at lightspeed baby!
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Yeah I take responsibility for the briefing snafu. All of that was transpiring during my finals week, and then I was out for military stuff.
#Valkob4Life
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Nichalus wrote: To which I threw out my idea, which will be the cause for the GS/RDF to break for the NR after they begin and end that mission. The actual mission to disrupt and/or destroy the Smuggling Operation is 'still' a forming story.
What can we do to help with this forming story,?
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

Posting tonight (fingers crossed)
Keep your confessions,
Cause babe, I’m no saint.
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Crime and politics, little girl, situation is always fluid."

Changed my previous post a bit. Decided to run with this other thing for the moment, but I do have a scene all written out concerning the whole Jedi thing that was supposed to happen after we get to the fleet that I still want to use so I'll find a way to reintroduce it later instead.

31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Pryde2000 wrote:but I do have a scene all written out concerning the whole Jedi thing that was supposed to happen after we get to the fleet that I still want to use so I'll find a way to reintroduce it later instead.
Looking forward to it. Especially if it involves attempting to humble Ty... He needs it every now and then.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

#OneTeamOneGreen
#Valkob4Life

Post by Nichalus »

Sorry for the day's delay. Boss was in yesterday so I couldn't finish my post.

Basically at this point we have arrived at the fleet. Reactions, both funny or serious. Picking your fighters, which I purposely left open for you to pick for your characters, with the exception that there can only be 2 of the new X-Wings from TFA. You could even use the fact that Damus found your characters first fighter that they had to give up when the new ships came out, if you want.

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

By new fighters do you mean the T-85's which are apparently the latest or the older T-70's the Resistance was using?

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I think he means the T-85s
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Okay, cool. Cause I don't think any of those were in TFA. :P

Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

A T70 is good for me. I will leave the 85's to you Poe-wannabe's
Keep your confessions,
Cause babe, I’m no saint.
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

And I'll stick similarly with Mae. Keeping with the twin theme.

I do have a question though, mostly for clarification sake. So are our new living quarters (for in between missions) going to be on the Quasar Cruiser?

Post by Nichalus »

I would assume so Enriler

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I'm gonna let the veterans of the squad divide up the T-85's also. Jess will fly a T-70.

Post by Nichalus »

Nichalus wrote:I would assume so Enriler
But for clarification, we have landed on the Venator to begin picking your fighters, and then we'll have a Ops meeting and so on and such forth

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

So question, and this just came to me, are we working under the impression that the Resistance is already in place? Or is this the start of it?

31st Century Troubadour

Post by Enriler »

Pryde2000 wrote:So question, and this just came to me, are we working under the impression that the Resistance is already in place? Or is this the start of it?
To add to that, are we assuming RDF is the Resistance?

Post by Nichalus »

According to Bloodlines, which is 20 years after Endor, that is when Leia started or became involved with the Resistance. So it's save to assume the Resistance is out there.

No Enriler, we are not a part of it...yet, or maybe never.

Post by Nichalus »

And Xal...'that' was a great post!

Post by Xalsin »

Thanks Nich. Always nice to have the results be worth the effort.