I just had to share!

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Mand'alor

Re: I just had to share!

Post by Cadden »

You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
This Space Available

Post by Ghost »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBM7i84BThE

Destroy the maker of this video...
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Ghost wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBM7i84BThE

Destroy the maker of this video...
What'chu talkin' 'bout? That video's awesome!
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

One word; yes.

This Space Available

Post by Ghost »

Everyone, prepare to duck and cover.

http://screenrant.com/batman-casting-ac ... gnet_42971

I think Number 3 fits.

*flees*
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

2 and 3
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest »

When visiting brandonsanderson.com I came across these recordings of Brandon Sanderson writing a portion of his next book, Words of Radiance, which I thought were pretty neat. For those of you not familiar with Brandon Sanderson, he's an increasingly well-known author in the fantasy genre, both for his own works as well as finishing the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan's untimely death. He also teaches creative writing at BYU.

Each recording displays Microsoft Word open on his computer as he's typing the first draft. It also begins and ends with him saying a few words about the process, with him sometimes pausing in between. Mostly it's just music in the background. There's a sped up version at least for the first segment, but real time is roughly 25 minute segments. Obviously, most people don't have time to just sit and literally watch someone write (or the desire), but sometimes I put it on my second screen when I work on other things, like this post for example, then every once in a while glance over to see what he's written. It's also handy when our baby's really fussy and doesn't let me do anything but hold him with both hands (he likes the music, and I enjoy the writing). On that note, my wife and I had our first baby two months ago :)

Sanderson also participates in a regular podcast called Writing Excuses with other authors, including Patrick Rothfuss, but I haven't watched them. Does anyone know if they're worthwhile?

I wasn't sure if it's preferred that the Gen. OOC isn't cluttered by things like this, so I posted it here. Is that the general convention now? I'm a little out of touch with how things work around here.

Post by Red Dragon »

"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

What....what did I just watch.
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I'm not really sure, I don't recognize the anime but the Daedulus Attack is one of my favorite scenes from Robotech.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Is it cause Leonardo Di Caprio turned down Star Wars VII for Robotech?
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Huh?

Post by Red Dragon »

Anime is Macross Frontier... First its a Macross Quarter taking out an enemy New Macross Class's main gun with a Daedulus Attack. Then Battle Frontier, another New Macross Class, closes in and finishes off the enemy ship with a punch to its torso.

Before all this happened the enemy New Macross Class snuck in an main cannon attack that both the Macross Quarter and ally New Macross Class barley dodged. Both ships lost their main guns though. A distraction was made by a Koenig Monster... you know what... just watch it. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIGoCbOSH_M

Wonder if i can just find the whole fight...

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7T19XGpcnQ
No English translation, but here's the whole fight. If your wondering why the civilian city ships are in the middle of all this fighting, if i remember right, they absolutely needed to land on a life bearing planet or they were done. To much damage, the loss of the factory and supply ships... If they didn't land at that time they wouldn't have been able to land at all.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Is it just my imagination or did I just see Sasuke Uchiha?

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Red Dragon wrote:Anime is Macross Frontier... First its a Macross Quarter taking out an enemy New Macross Class's main gun with a Daedulus Attack. Then Battle Frontier, another New Macross Class, closes in and finishes off the enemy ship with a punch to its torso.

Before all this happened the enemy New Macross Class snuck in an main cannon attack that both the Macross Quarter and ally New Macross Class barley dodged. Both ships lost their main guns though. A distraction was made by a Koenig Monster... you know what... just watch it. :P
I tried to read this. It seems to be a collection of words and names, strung together in an effort to communicate. From what I can tell, it involves a show about a border, two kinds of ships--one a division ("quarter"), the other a fleet ("class" < Lat. classis, "fleet")--and an attack somehow reminiscent of a mythological engineer whose son died by flying too close to a star. It also seems to involve a fist-fight, and it all may have been caused by a monster that was either a German king (koenig < German word for "king") or the original actor of another engineer, Pavel Chekov.

But that's all supposition and speculation. It's like trying to figure out quantum physics as a fourth-grader, or English grammar as a modern American teenager. I recognize that you're using words, but in the order you've used them, they have no apparent meaning.

( :P )

Post by Red Dragon »

whatever, i was lazy :P
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Can't seem to find a video of the original (no surprise there Harmony Gold tends to swoop down on anyone who dares to use their license and yes, swooping is bad), but I can try to describe it for you. The Daedulus is the name of the aircraft carrier the crew of the Super Dimensional Fortress (or SDF-1) attached to the right arm of their ship. Originally the ship looks a lot like a normal ship, you know very long and ship-like, but it can transform into a giant robot like the ones you see in the video.

What the Daedulus maneuver involves is basically ramming the SDF-1's right arm (i.e. the Daedulus) into an enemy ship. Then the bay doors are opened and inside those bay doors is an entire squadron of Destroids, giant walking machines armed to the teeth with reflex missiles (basically powerful explosives). The Destroids fire off all their missiles into the bowels of the enemy ship and the bay doors are closed and the arm is withdrawn. Meanwhile the enemy ship is fucked up from the inside out.

The Daedulus attack is still one of the cooler things to come out of Japanese anime... In my humble opinion, at least. There is, of course, some other stuff involved in it like the Pinpoint Barrier, but that's more words you probably wouldn't understand. :P

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

I know you mean well, but all I can think about right now is an aircraft carrier in space as the arm of a robot, with more robots inside it. And then I think, "You know what, no. That's just ridiculous."
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Basically one just uses the ironfist and then blows it up from the inside out, it's called the Daedalus attack because the first ship to use it was named the Daedalus.

There is ofcourse a lot more to it than that but them's the "business majors version of physics" version for you :)
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron

Post by Red Dragon »

Oh SHIT WALL OF TEXT!!!
Archangel wrote:I know you mean well, but all I can think about right now is an aircraft carrier in space as the arm of a robot, with more robots inside it. And then I think, "You know what, no. That's just ridiculous."
Eh... originally the ship wasn't meant to transform, But an accident caused their FTL, fold drive, to disappear and with it key connections needed to fire the main weapon. With no means to replace those connections in a typical manner one of the on-board techs suggested they make use of the ships "modular system". (Seems the ship always had the ability to shift shapes... You must know though that the SDF-1 was a repaired alien ship and wasn't designed or built by the humans. They were able to restore it but they didn't even know what half the shit they repaired did. Hence the Fold Drive fading away after only its first use... oops... lol!) Now when they shifted the shape of the ship, they were able to replace the missing connections with others that were located in another section of the ship. The end result was a Stiff humanoid look for the ship, with only its "arms" only really able to move.

Speaking of its "Arms", that i think was the one major change that was done to the restored alien ship. They gave it the ability to have two space carriers docked. Why? Because they still didn't understand the Fold system and while they were able to "repair" the one of the SDF-1 that was the only one they had. They couldn't make more, so that gave their only ship that can FTL the ability to bring support ships with it. Only in the Anime the space carriers that were suppose to dock were destroyed by the invading aliens before the SDF-1 could even take off. Hell they barely got the damn thing off the ground. The anti-gravity units that was suppose to effortlessly lift the massive ship up broke free from the ship, literally tearing them selves out of the ship and floating away. (I laughed... A lot...) So they used the back up rockets to lift the ship up, but shit was getting VERY bad at this point so they used the fold drive, targeting the moon, to get the fuck out.

It worked... It took the ship, the island it was one and a large portion of the surrounding ocean along with two sea carriers out past Pluto... opps... (This is when they noticed the Fold drives were no longer there... I loled again.) So while outside the Sol System, and the enemy wondering wtf happened, they took the time to rescue the couple thousand people that were in shelters on the island, made repairs on the SDF-1, moved a good portion of the city that was on the Island into the ship, (They had the room so why not?) and knowing that their long trip back to Earth was going to be... well long and painful, attached the two sea carriers, modified as best they could to operate in space, where the Space Carriers would have been.

Lets see...
The Prometheus, an aircraft carrier, was attached to the left side. This actually improved the SDF-1 ability to launch fighters and allowed them to carry a hell of a lot more. (Seems they were able to build more on the ship.)
The Deadelus, an Assault Lander Carrier, was attached to the right side. This gave the SDF-1 it's destdroid (sp?) compliment. It's front end could open up completely, and lower a ramp to land it's forces on ... land.

At some point the same tech that told them to transform the ship to get the main gun to work, discovered a strange occurrence that was now present where the fold drives were. I never fully understood it but what ever it was, it would lead to them developing a limited barrier system he called "The PIN point Barrier". Basically there were three disks that could be moved around the ship that would absorb any form of attack. While it was thought of as pathetic... It was better then nothing, and so long as the battle wasn't too intense the SDF-1 could come out of a fight with out any damage, much to the frustration to the alien invaders. During a "small" battle the main gun wasn't working even when transformed, (They just can't get a brake!!!). So the Tactical Officer, Misa, came up with the Deadelus attack. This is where the three disk barriers were all focused on the front of the Deadelus, making this a gutsy move because now their only real defense is "gone", and the SDF-1 moves in fast and hard with the intent of ramming the Deadelus into the enemy ship, punching it. Now that wasn't enough for this woman, the enemy ship is already likely to take critical damage from such an attack but she wanted more. Before all this she moved all the destdroids to the front of the Deadelus, and once it was firmly planted into the enemy ship its forward doors would open and the destdroids would unload everything they had into the ship. And as Coron said, blow up the ship from the inside out.

This attack is used a number of times in the show there after. One time they screw up the attack. The Deadelus goes through the enemy ship at an odd angle and goes clean through it, but Misa still orders to complete the attack, ( I assume she didn't notice in time, the battle was one of the rougher ones...) and the destdroids unload their fire power into there own forces putting our MC in the med-bay.

Later we get the "New Macross-Class" Ships, these are the human designed successor of the SDF ships, (and yes they built an unknown number for the SDFs fore a while after the war.) They were purposely designed to transform and are clearly more mobile then the SDF ships. If you were to watch the SDF fight then watch a New Macross-class fight, (Which you see in the vids i put up.) you can tell the difference. A reason for it to transform, well even in its transformed state it still operates like a battle ship, but now its more mobile and has some new attacks it can use. A lot of the Strategy they use too is shock and awe, hence the singing and shit... /Shrug. I enjoy it.

Here's the SDF-1 with the Space Carriers for arms, on the left is the SDF transformed and main gun ready to fire. Middle is its natural shape, and the right is transformed main gun up.
--Serenity

Post by Red Dragon »

The SDF-1 with the Prometheus and Deadelus.
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

It's Lisa Hayes if you're referring to Robotech.

Post by Red Dragon »

Yeah well its Misa in Macross
--Serenity
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

I feel like the only sane person in a land of madmen.

Or perhaps the only madman in a land of normal people.

It's really hard to tell, given the frame of reference.

Anime, man. I swear. :stormtrooper:
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I'm with you, Archiekins.
#Valkob4Life
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

So... recently got a new computer... and playing TOR with all the graphics settings on "High" (instead of whatever their minimum setting is, "Low" or "Off") is like playing a completely different game. I don't even recognize my surroundings anymore. I don't even recognize my character anymore, for that matter.

I could probably start a new character and not feel like I'm repeating the same stuff all over again.

It's nuts.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

hehhehe...
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

I bet it doesn't change the story... or the ridiculously-overly-repetitive dialog, or the side quests, or....
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

This is deep. I just recently played through this game again and this interpretation never even occurred to me.

The one and only Stoban

Post by VagueDurin »

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Post by Khaehik »

Recently I learned about an MMO called Wildstar.

Now it might not be a good idea to make one of those. To quote Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw when he reviewed another game: "One might almost think that Kingdoms of Whatever It Was was at some point planned to be a MMORPG but chickened out when they saw all the skulls piled up outside World of Warcraft's cave." Lord knows that SWTOR wasn't the WoW-killer that EA hoped it would be.

But there are a few things which makes me think it could be worth playing, at least after the price of the game goes down. (Steam has spoiled me with its cheap prices to the point where I am very reluctant to pay sixty bucks or more for a game any more.)

First, it was created by ex-Blizzard employees. So there's a decent chance that when it comes to making an MMO, they know what they're doing.

Second, they haven't made a WoW clone. Or at the very least, it's less of a WoW clone than Galaxies was turned into and TOR is. For one thing: player housing.

Here's a trailer.

Third and last, you won't need to pay a monthly fee if you can make a deal with another player for "C.R.E.D.D.", as illustrated here.

Anyway, impressions? Anybody here actually tried it?
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Not really my cup of tea. I love the aesthetics of the game, it's a very beautiful game with incredible environments but in this day and age not doing full voice overs for your MMO is kind of a deal breaker. Combat was interesting, different enough I think from WoW but I didn't really feel involved. Been playing a lot of ESO lately and while there are a lot of things I wish they'd added or had done differently (not dividing the world into zones and keeping factions completely isolated when not in Cyrodiil, for instance) I find the combat in the game to be much more appealing. Couldn't really tell you why, though, I guess being in first person just brings the action closer to home and blocking certain attacks to create openings or bashing someone with the hilt of your sword to interrupt spellcasting just helps to make you feel more involved. Just three things I missed while playing through the Wildstar beta.

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

This is totally worth it for the end.

Post by Khaehik »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by Red Dragon »

That was great! lol.
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=120934

Bat God. Like I've been preaching to Popsicles, Squidward, and Cazzikstan for some time now.

All are welcome in the Church of the Bat God.
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »