Ossus Jedi Temple: The New Generation

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Ossus Jedi Temple: The New Generation

Post by Mir »

The boy woke up in the medical ward.

When his eyes opened, he looked around and the first thing that he realized was that he was no longer on Brevost. The last thing that he remembered was his strength coming back to him, and that he had seen someone move the seemingly insurmountable debris that had blocked the group of survivors from freedom. No, not someone, not just any someone. A Jedi. That was all that he could remember, before he had fallen back into unconsciousness. It came in spells, and he had no control over it. The same way that he had no control over the pounding headache that filled his head. He groaned, trying to move.

This attracted the attention of the master of the medical ward. The bird like Jedi may not have been the Grandmaster, or even on the Jedi Council, but none would dare to usurp or even question his authority when it came to the medical ward. Chirushk flapped his wings as he settled near the boy.

“Relax, you’ve had a hard time.” He said.

“Where…where am I?” The boy asked, trying to form words, and realizing that for the first time in a while, that he was able to. That was good, considering the state that he had been in, not too long ago.

“You’re on Ossus, at the Jedi Temple.” Chirushk replied and the boy’s eyes widened. “I do not know what to call you. Do you remember your name?” He asked. “The one who found you said that no one knew what to call you.”

“I…I don’t remember, sir.” The boy said.

“Well then, you shall have to pick a name. But for now, let me look over your vitals.” Chirushk said, and his eyes moved over to the computer screens in front of him. He hummed a bit, as he looked at all the data that was available to him. “It looks like everything is in order. I have no reason to keep you any longer; the bacta treatments have worked well for you. Your body has healed from the trauma that you have experienced.” He said. The Jedi Master turned and looked at the boy. “You are free to go.”

“Where should I go?”

“That is not for me to decide.” Chirushk replied. “However, I have many patients to attend to, you are not the most important person in the room.” He said, and then he was off.

The boy slowly rolled off of the bed. At first his leg muscles complained, having not had to work for a few days. But slowly, he got his bearings and though he almost fell once or twice, he made it out of the medical ward with little incident. The people in the area paid him no mind, walking past him. It would appear that he was even more insignificant here than he had been back on Brevost.

Chirushk’s words were in his head.

Where was he to go?”
Pryngles

Re: Ossus Jedi Temple: The New Generation

Post by Pryde »

"You're new," a voice said from somewhere behind the boy, "You smell different, you don't smell like Ossus."

The boy turned around and came face to face with a young girl. She was dressed in a silk kimono with a red sash, a pair of wolf's ears protruding from her head and a long, furry wolf tail swishing back and forth. The girl cocked her head to the side as she looked at him, a gleam of curiosity in her eye. "Where are you from," she asked.

"They found me on Brevost," the boy replied.

Brevost? That was not a world that Serenity was familiar with. She'd been to many worlds with Mai and then later with Isis and Clara but she couldn't remember visiting Brevost. "Is that where you're from?"

The boy shook his head, "I don't know."

Serenity frowned at that. She knew a little something of what it felt like not to know where you came from. She'd heard from Mai, Chirushk and others that no one had even seen her species before, that it was possible she might be the only one in the known galaxy. Her master, Makaera Tor, often assured her that her people were out there, they just haven't found them yet and that some day they would. Until then Serenity would always wonder where it was that she came from or even if Serenity was her real name.

"I'm Serenity," she said, "What's your name?"
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

"I don't...I don't know." He said. "I remember what my life was like before everything that happened on Brevost, but I don't remember particulars. I don't even know how I'm able to remember how to talk." He said. "Serenity's a nice name."

"Thank you." She said.

He didn't know that her vocabulary had been growing by leaps and bounds. The boy looked around and then he saw someone in the distance. "I know her." He said, and pointed.

Mahana Sira was deep in conversation with another Jedi Knight. Well that wasn't true. She still wasn't a Jedi Knight, serving her sentence of being relegated to the Corps, after what had happened at Near Indosa. It was good to be back in the Temple, that much was for sure. She turned and saw the boy that she had rescued at Brevost. Ah, frell. Mahana had never been good with children, and this kid, well, she had been hoping that they wouldn't run into each other on Ossus, before she left for another Corps mission. As it turned out, that wasn't going to be the case.

"Hey there." She said, and saw the little girl. Serenity, she thought his name was. "How is everyone?" She asked, hoping that was what one said in a situation like this.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Jaysa Berik was late. The fifteen year old girl was running through the halls of the Temple, hoping that she would be able to make it to her class before her teacher realized that she was not actually present in the class. That was going to be hard, since the teacher was usually rather firm on punctuality. Jaysa had been lucky to get the class in the first place. It wasn’t often that a spot was open in a class taught by a ranking member of the Jedi Council, and she had seized the spot as soon as it had become available. Which meant that she was already behind on the class’ material.

Actually that was the reason why she was running behind for the class, having stayed up late into the morning studying for the class.

Weaving her way through the throng of people that made up the Temple at Ossus, Jaysa could ill afford to run into anyone or have anything slow her down. So she was utilizing the Force to help her move as quickly and as efficiently as she could. But it was just her luck that she rounded a corner and ran almost headlong into a small ten year old.

Ducking out of the way, she continued down the hallway, Jaysa missed Mahana Sira angrily calling out that she should watch where she’s going.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Everyone," Serenity asked, "Everyone means us, right?"

She pointed to herself and to the strange boy she had just met and Mahana nodded. "We are--fine? Is that what I'm supposed to say?"

Ever since her lessons with Makaera she was getting better and better at speaking common but there were still some things about the language that were difficult for her to understand. Like politeness, Makaera had always told her that when speaking to another she should listen attentively and speak respectfully. Serenity had a hard time trying to figure out what 'respectful' meant and how it differed from 'being rude'. In fact she still had difficulty between discerning what she should and should not say to others.

Mahana gave her an uncomfortable smile and nodded. She opened her mouth and was about to reply when a young girl came out of nowhere and nearly crashed into the poor boy. Mahana angrily called after her but the girl seemed to ignore her. Serenity would have thought that the girl's behavior exemplified something she should not do if she hadn't been distracted by her sudden curiosity as to where the girl was headed in such a hurry. The boy was just dusting himself off after being nearly knocked over when Serenity suddenly grabbed him by the arm and pulled him along after her.

"Wait, where are we going," the boy asked.

"I want to see. Don't you want to see too," she asked, not entirely aware that the poor boy didn't entirely understand what she was talking about...

Faye Ward was in the middle of explaining the day's first lesson when Jaysa Berik suddenly burst into the room. The girl quickly ran over to an open spot on the floor with the rest of the pupils and took a seat, clearly hoping that the teacher hadn't noticed her. Since Faye currently had her back to the girl it looked like she had accomplished her goal.

"A lightsaber is not a toy," the Jedi Master was saying, "In this class you will learn the basics of lightsaber combat focusing on safety. Each of you will be given a practice saber to start as we go over the important concepts you need to learn in order to use your lightsaber safely."

She pressed a switch on the wall and from a hidden alcove emerged a row of practice sabers. She bid each member of the class to come up and take one and one by one each student did as they were told until it was Jaysa's turn. The young girl stood in front of Faye eagerly awaiting her practice saber but what she got instead was a mop.

"Um, excuse me, Master Ward," the girl began but Faye interrupted her.

"This will be your saber for today," she said, "and next time, Padawan Berik, you will not be late for my class."
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

The Hapan girl nodded, her face falling a bit. It hadn’t been her intention to be late. But it was easier to be quiet and just suffer the consequences than to speak up and defend herself in this situation. Faye Ward could be a task master. Often times, she’d heard the woman repeat a phrase before, like it was some kind of mantra. “A warrior understands that physical pain is part of the exertion. She accepts that and continues her training she does not--complain."

One time someone had jokingly asked her who had come up with that and whether or not it had been an Iron Knight because it was so robotic. The withering stare that the person had gotten in response had been more than enough.

The class started pairing off into the groups and going through the rote mechanics of Shii-Cho basics. Nothing crazy. Though there were more than a few stares and laughs as Jaysa worked with the mop stick, her face set.

Meanwhile, Serenity and the boy had reached the door to the classroom and were looking in, watching the class. “Is this what we’re seeing?” He asked. “I’m confused.”
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Kaneth Halvard--who preferred to be called Gray, but he also answered to his given name--was tall for his age. Already, he was one hundred eighty centimeters in height, though he had only reached fifteen standard years. He had heard other students joke about his height, which irritated him, but he worked hard to keep his emotions in check; every day, he had to remind himself to ignore the negative and find the positive in his daily activities.

Those activities, in the Temple of the Current, frequently included attending classes. Today, he was fortunate enough to be in Master Ward's lightsaber training course. Before his arrival at the Temple of the Current, he had been trained in some Teras Kasi, but he was hardly a master of combat. His uncle--that had been a man with great skill in battle, he knew from the stories. Consecro Nadeus, hero of the Xen'Chi War, to hear his mother tell it. She had barely known her brother, but the tale went that the man had been a hunter and tracker employed by the Empire during the Xen'Chi War, and he had lost his life saving thousands of innocents. It was probably a load of nonsense, Gray knew, but it gave him something to aspire to--in a way, he wanted to be just like his uncle. But there was a difference when it came to Kaneth Halvard: he was sensitive to the Force, and his uncle had not been.

That sensitivity did not mean that everything was easy, though. The particular negative that Gray was trying to ignore this day was his sparring partner, a Hapan girl who had come into class late; her tardiness had been rewarded with a mop instead of a training saber. Gray did not know her very well, but she was pretty enough for him to want to--after all, she was Hapan--but he did not need anything to distract him from his goal of becoming a great hero.

Gray took a deep breath and exhaled. He tried not to make it sound like he was sighing. Taking a moment from his exercises, he ran his left hand through his dark hair. It was trimmed with neat, straight lines, an uncommon style among the Epicanthix, and his face did not yet grow enough hair for him to shave. His eyes were the peculiarity from which he had acquired his nickname. They were odd, not only among humans, but among his own people also: both eyes were dull, pale gray around his pupils, and the whites were mildly bloodshot. He smiled, a little awkwardly, at the Hapan girl, raising his training saber again. He saw an opening in her stance that he could have exploited with an unarmed attack, but with his saber, he was limited in his options. He lunged forward, and she deflected.

He decided to try being friendly. "Don't let the others get to you," he said, referring to the less-than-subtle jeers from a few of the other students. He had no idea if she was being affected emotionally by their laughs or not--she certainly looked stoic enough to ignore them--but he imagined that it was possible, and maybe his words of encouragement would lift her spirits.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Jaysa smiled, one that showed gratitude. It wasn’t often that she interacted with men on this level. She was a Hapan, and in certain respects, she felt the way that her people did on the topic of men. But at the same time, she had been off of Hapes for a few years, and that had lent her a great deal of perspective on the rest of the galaxy, which seemed to be very gender dominated. In favor of the male gender, which had challenged her views more than once. Even though she had been off of Hapes for some time, it still took some getting used to, to understand that she couldn’t act and behave the way that she was used to.

That was part of being a Jedi, as she was learning. To put one’s own feelings and prejudices to the side in favor of resolving the conflict or situation at hand in the favor of everyone involved. She had learned a great deal on mediation and negotiations and it was something that she prided herself on, considering her female-centric background.

“Thank you, Gray.” She said, using the boy’s nickname. She had seen him around, from time to time, but to say that she knew him well, that would be a mistake.

There were so many padawans and learners at the Temple, and sometimes it was hard juggling the variety of personalities and perspectives that they all brought to the proverbial table. In that regard, Jaysa didn’t envy the masters of the temple, the instructors, not at all.

“It’ll get easier.” He said.

“I hope I’m not relegated to the mop for much longer though.” She said.

“Then don’t be late. Footwork.” Faye said, coming by and giving a word of admonishment, before moving on to another pairing of students.

Jaysa looked down and realized that with the way that she had been standing, there could have been an easy attack. Thankfully she and Gray were only working on Shii-Cho. But if this had been a real fight, then Jaysa wouldn’t have had the time to have this conversation with him. She would have been dead. Looking back up at Gray, she frowned and adjusted, before going back into the Shii-Cho routine.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Nash Kathri made his way down a hallway of the Jedi Temple, a vacant, almost bored look on his face. It wasn’t often that he found himself in this part of the Temple, but it was often that he regarded wherever he was with a look of certain contempt. As he walked, his robes trailed slightly behind him. If there was one thing that Nash was known for, on Ossus, it was his clothing. Not flamboyant, but definitely more colorful than those worn by the rest of those who called Ossus home. The material was also far and above in quality when compared to those of the rest of the Order.

But then again, none of them had access to the same level of resources that Nash had. Nash’s family owned a multi billion credit mining company that was mainly based on Nkllon, Hoth, and Alzoc III. This company, the Kathri-Hushepehk Mining Company churned out trillions of tons of ores and refined metals every year. As a result, the family was exceptionally wealthy and Nash could afford whatever it was that he wanted to buy. Which meant better robes than everyone else.

His parents had raised him very comfortably and Nash had received private tutoring since he had been a young child. Since he had come to the Ossus temple, shortly after the Battle of Arcanix, his world had definitely changed a bit. Before, he had never had a large amount of interaction with people his age. Now, the twelve year old was facing a plethora of different beings that had a variety of personalities. So he had done what he had always done, and used his money to make sure that he was comfortable.

Unfortunately, not all of the Jedi at the Temple were pleased by his actions. Though when the frozen confectionary dispensers had broken in the Temple and no one had been able to fix them, the situation had been resolved when Nash had had some of the best engineers from Bespin, well versed with how to deal with freezing gases and what not, fly in to fix them. This had made him a bit of a hit with the younger population of the Temple. Taking advantage of this had been easy, and Nash had been riding his newfound fame for some time now.

The other kids had been willing to overlook the fact that he was an arrogant jerk a lot of the time, and had no problems lording his money over others.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Serenity was a bit disappointed when she found out the girl had simply been running because she was late for class. A bunch of kids standing around waving glowing light sticks was something she'd seen before and had even done herself once or twice. She was hoping the girl would lead her to something new but nothing new rarely happened at the Jedi temple. Kids running back and forth between classes and instruction in how to use the Force were the norm here. So far the new kid was the most interesting thing to happen today and the fact he didn't remember much about himself made him that much more interesting.

"Hey," she said quietly as they watched the students practicing, "why do you think you don't remember anything?"

It had been such a long time since last Caitlyn wandered the halls of a Jedi temple. Granted the halls she had wandered last were those of the Onderon temple but the Ossus installation had similar architecture in places and of course the smells were quite famliar. If she closed her eyes as she walked she could almost imagine herself being back home at the Onderon temple and for a moment she felt a surge of regret that Darth Trayus had to demolish it. Now he was on his way here to destroy this temple and Caitlyn sincerely hoped he wouldn't succeed. After Onderon and Taylon Ossus was the last bastion of the Jedi Order. Without it they would be scattered and divided. The Jedi needed this temple to survive to preserve what was left of their Order.

"Hey, kid," she called out to the small boy passing her by, "where can I find the quartermaster?"

She'd been living with her family on Corellia since her promotion to Jedi Knight and had even been attending a regular high school, something she never had the luxury of doing. Right now her school was on vacation for a week and with all the troubles facing the Jedi Order she thought she might come back to the temple and see if there was any way she could help. She felt some misgivings about leaving Sal back home with Isis and Hirai but with the pending attack from Darth Trayus looming over this place she preferred to have him somewhere safe.

"Who are you," the boy answered, glancing up at her. Unlike the other Jedi padawans traipsing by his robes were of a nicer cut and he had an air of superiority about him.

Caitlyn wasn't dressed like a normal Jedi. Her clothes were of a finer cloth and a style typically preferred by high school students. That was one of the reasons why she needed to see the quartermaster, for a set of robes and a place to stay. "Caitlyn," she answered, expecting the boy to know her. When he gave her a blank stare she frowned, "Caitlyn Sinclair? Kalja's pupil? The one who fought Crix on Necroa? Seriously, have you not heard of me?"
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

“I don’t know.” The kid said. “All I remember is that I was on Brevost, trying to jump onto a moving train. I don’t really remember why I was trying to do that.” He said, his eyes getting distant. “Then I was underground and really hurt.” He said.

“You don’t remember anything?” Serenity asked.

“I only remember being hurt and underground. I get images that flash in my head, but they don’t mean anything.” The kid said. “Just a jumble of stuff.”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Nash turned and looked at the girl. Who was she to just address him like that in public? He raised an eyebrow, which she mistook as him not recognizing her, which he didn’t. Then she explained who she was.

“Oh. Caitlyn Sinclair.” He said. “I’ve heard of you, yes. Many people have heard of you.” He said. “You’re a mild celebrity, they say you’re pretty good with the Force. Though that might be because you haven’t had many challengers.” He said, the last part coming out a bit rushed and quieter. “Anyway, you need to see the quartermaster, you said?” He asked, and she nodded. “You’re not too far off, come along, I’ll show you the way.” Nash said, and turned, resuming his walk.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"I don't remember much about my life before the temple, either," Serenity told him, "I was found in the wreckage of a ship. I don't remember any pain, but I do remember being very frightened."

"So you don't know where you're from, either," the boy asked.

Serenity shook her head, a human trait she had picked up. She still didn't completely understand it but she'd seen people shake their heads before when they were trying to say no before. "Master Chirushk told me I'm the only one of my kind in the known galaxy. Even he has no idea where I'm from."

Caitlyn was a bit chagrined by the boy's tone. She thought after all she'd been through she'd have been something of a celebrity back home but now she realized that was just silly. A Jedi does not seek fame or fortune, though by some crazy miracle she did end up with the latter.

"So, how long have you been training here," she asked the boy, hoping to get him to lighten up with a bit of conversation.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

"Wow. That's got to be fairly...what's the word..." The kid said, and trailed off.

"Daunting?" Serenity asked, as if she was able to supply it from part of what she felt.

"Yeah, that's it." He said. "It has to be daunting. I'm hoping that I can piece together some of my memories, because otherwise, I don't know what's going to happen to me. I mean, I can't stay here forever, and if I don't know who I am, how do I know my place in the galaxy? It's a big place."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Nash shook his head. "Not too long. Shortly after the Battle of Arcanix." He said. "I heard that it was a magnificent battle, full of intrigue and dashing heroic. I hope one day that I am able to leave my mark on the galaxy in such a way." Nash said. "My family has done great things for the galaxy for years, through our charitable foundations and our mining company. If I won't make my name as a businessman due to learning the ways of the Force, I most assuredly shall through my exploits as a Jedi." He said, conveying the notion that it was more about the heroics, the reputation, and the stories that were told than actually helping people.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

“Reela come on you’re going to be late!” Grabbing her books Reela Eyan threw her book bag over her shoulder and ran out of her room barefoot as per usual. She hated shoes, despised them really and did everything she could to avoid them. As she reached the MedCorps section of the Temple she noticed things were a bit different. Most wouldn’t have noticed the busyness or hurried nature of certain people but Rela had a knack for noticing things that were out of the ordinary daily pattern. It helped her when it came to knowing if her friends were having a bad day, when someone needed medicine or being able to tell where to concentrate for healing. Sliding across the flooring as she turned left she smiled and dodged between Jedi their robes flapping around her. She slowed as she reached the main hallway and fell in step with a few friends. “You ready for the test today Rel?”

“Come on you know she is Quill, she’s the ‘best in our class’.’ Laughing the two boys mocked the twi’leks ability to exceed at her classes. Rolling her eyes Reela saw her best friend. Skipping over to her she bumped into her side and Xarci repaid the favor.

“So Ayy, what’d you do last night? Oh wait..” The orange skinned humanoid smiled at their inside joke.

“Oh, you know,’ Reela slipped into class and noticed two Jedi Masters sitting in the back. “I stayed up late, watched a few holovids, tried to build a lightsaber and lastly I may or may not have tried to squeeze in a few lines of spice to make sure I stayed awake in class today.”

“Also, I told you not to call me by that name when were at school.” Reela winked at her best friend and saw her shrug before she found her seat. Class went rather quickly for the Twi’lek yet ended way too quickly. She loved the study of anatomy and today’s lesson had been on Quarren. A species she had never encountered and could not wait to spend time traveling the galaxy and seeing it’s perks. As class was coming to an end Reela noticed another Jedi Master enter the room this time every student perked up. This one was a member of the Medical Corps Circle of Healers, the MedCorps version of a Council. Leaning in to talk to the teacher they both looked at Reela and she suddenly felt very awkward. Had someone reported her for the bad joke to Xarci? Had they found out she stopped doing her chemistry homework? Was this about her being barefoot?

Reela’s mind raced faster than her lekku could twitch and she felt several sets of eyes on her. “Student Eyan please follow me.”

Grabbing her book bag Reela kept her head down and followed behind the Master Healer. Her feet made barely any sound on the floor and she made a game of making as much noise as possible. She stopped paying attention to where they were going as they walked and she suddenly found herself standing in front of the Circle of Healers anteroom. Looking around the Master Healer was gone and the doors suddenly opened. Walking inside she slipped her bag off her back and stood nervously as they discussed her. After a time she realized they had stopped talking and were looking at her. “Padawan Eyan, did you hear us?”

“No,’ she stuttered. “No, I did not. My apologies.”

“Do you believe you are ready to take the trials? To start working toward becoming a Knight and apprentice under a Master Healer?” Reela’s hands tensed and she looked down at the floor again. She wasn’t sure how to answer such a question but she knew that she had to answer it as honestly as her nervousness would allow her to.

“I cannot say that I am. There are many species that I have yet to study and I have not completed this semesters course work.”

Holding up a hand the Chief Healer stopped her from speaking. “That is why we are approving you to join the ranks of those who will face the trials. Go and pack your things, you will be leaving rather quickly.”

OOC: You're up. Take it as far as you want.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

OOC: For simplifying reasons, this happens before the Battle of Ossus

IC:

The Jedi Master was in the medical bay, assisting with a minor surgery. Invasive, but simple, the process was going well. His eyes were closed, and he breathed in and out deeply, the ongoing surgery one that required careful attention, even if it was considered minor or simplistic. No life was simplistic, and no death was minor. Boolon Murr had never killed another sentient being, and he was not about to start. The Ithorian Jedi Healer turned and held a hand up, as a Twi’lek padawan came skidding around a corner, mouth open to speak.

She watched as the scalpel in his other hand finished a deft movement and the Ithorian took a step back, medical droids moving in with bandages and sutures. Finally, his eyes opened and he turned towards her.

“Reela Eyan, it is a pleasure to meet you.” He said with a gentle tone in his voice. “My name is Boolon Murr, and I will be your teacher and mentor, to guide you on the path of life that you are on. It is truly an honor for me to do this for you, and I hope that despite my few experiences that I can bring a positive impact to your life.” He said.

“Few experiences?” She asked, her eyes widening slightly. Surely, he had to be joking. “You’re one of the best healers in the entire Jedi Order.” She said.

“That is for others to determine, it is not something that I weigh heavily in my mind.” Boolon replied, walking away from the patient as the medical droids continued their work.

“What about the story of how you knocked out someone who has multiple legitimate claims to being the Dark Lord of the Sith?” She asked.

Boolon smiled. “That is an interesting story, but one, I’m afraid, that gets told much too often. Instead, let us talk about you, for your journey is the reason why we have been brought together.” He said. He was about to continue, when a MedCorps student walked up to the two of them with a flimsi.

He read it, and as best as an Ithorian could, a frown flitted over his features. “It would appear that your training in the field will begin sooner than anticipated. We are needed by the Mandalorians. Good friends to the Jedi Order, despite misgivings on both sides. We go where we are needed, and where we are needed could be anywhere in the galaxy. You have twenty minutes to gather your belongings and meet me in the main hangar.”
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

OOC: I'm going to post this on both threads you decide which one to respond to Mirr. Figure we'd have some fun with this as well considering Reela has never seen much of the galaxy.

Reela tried to breath as she threw more and more clothing into her duffle bag. Hearing someone enter her room she looked over to see Xarci walk in. “Whoa Ayy! What are you doing?”

Her voice was struggling to find words but she stuttered out a few words. “Twenty-minutes….ship...trials…”

“Wait? You’re leaving on the trade ship that just landed?” Xarci reached over and stopped Reela dumping her bag back out. Grabbing her friend she forced Reela to sit and then started to pack for her friend.

“Do you know where you are going? What Master have you been assigned to? Do you know whose trade ship you are flying on!?” Xarci’s words faded off as she kept folding clothes and moved on to Reela’s personal locker.

Ree seemed to zone out and answered the questions in a distant manner. “Mandalore...Master Healer Boolon Murr...the Traveler is owned and operated by former Jedi Roan Crevil and Casi Zel…”

Xarci stopped putting things in her friends bag and turned around. “Mandalore? What in the bloody hell are you going to Mandalore for on such short notice?”

Shaking her head Reela shrugged to confirm she hadn’t thought that far. Setting Reela’s bag next to her Xarci set a pair of mid calf boots down on the floor next to her
friends bare feet and then slid her lightsaber into the top of the bag. “Ayy, you need to focus for a second.”

Squatting in front of her friend Xarci put the boots in front of her friend and then leaned backward till she fell in a sitting position. Reela leaned down and slipped the boots on starting the breathing exercises she had been taught in what seemed like a lifetime ago. “I’m headed to Mandalore, with a Master Healer on a ship owned and piloted by
ex-Jedi turned into smugglers…”

Looking up at her friend Reela’s eyes widened and her lekku began to twitch rapidly. Everything started to settle inside her mind and she suddenly found herself wondering what exactly was going on. “Xarci, what in the frell is going on?”

Reela looked up at the Traveler and took in the HWK-290 freighter. It looked amazing to Reela but at the same completely ridiculous with rust spots here and there along with sparks shooting out of various panels. Stepping on board Reela nearly ran into the Casi Zel, the Zeltran ex-Jedi who now spent her time with Roan Crevil. The woman was gorgeous and wore clothing that would make a Twi’lek blush, Reela would know. Looking down at the Twi’lek Casi smirked. “‘ello shorty, you look a bit unda da weatha.”

Reela looked around while she deciphered the womans accent. “This ship looks like it is ready to fall out of the sky. How are you not worried?”

Laughing Casi felt the ship shudder as its engines kicked on from standby. “Hun, the bes way ta be unda estimated is ta make ya self look like yur broke.”

Reela tilted her head for a moment while she processed Casi’s statement and then followed her toward where her bunk would be. She heard a lot of noise coming from the storage bay and kept walking after Casi stopped. Coughing Casi stopped her and motioned toward the room. “In here shorty.”

Pausing for a minute Reela pointed. “What’s going on back there?”

Biting her lower lip for a minute Casi shrugged and moved toward the stairway that led down to the cargo level. Reela let her pass and noticed the lightsaber swinging on her hip. It seemed odd to watch a non-Jedi walk around with the chosen weapon of a Jedi. Slipping the thought into the back of her mind Reela immediately forgot about the lightsaber and suddenly found it the least of her worries. Blue, black, red, green, gold, purple, orange...the colors were many and she had no clue why. Casi bumped her with her hip while she passed and looked at her amused. “They ten ta make ya speechless da firs time ya see dem.”

Reela looked at the Mandalorians in awe. Some were completely suited up, others had their helmets removed and even more were in various states of undress. One approached her and she found herself looking at the lower half of his chest. “So, you’re the one who is going to save my vod?”

Looking up the man could have been no more than twenty-five but he had the feel and look of a man who had seen more death than someone four times his age. “I...don’t know what vaad? means…”

Casi shrugged when the Reela looked at her. “Don’t look at me shorty. I barely unda stan dare speek an I been livin with dem.”

“It means brother.” The man’s voice seemed to drop forty octaves to her as he spoke and she noticed a few more of them gathering around. Taking a few steps backward Reela watched as the same man spoke again.

“You think Freedom was ever that tiny?”

“She doesn’t even have a lightsaber how’s she a Jedi?”

“Freedom doesn’t use one and he’s a Jedi.”

“Eh, I wouldn’t say he doesn’t use one, he uses two. Still he doesn’t exactly call himself a Jedi though.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t let Kera hear you say that either. She’d put a shiv in you before you could breath.”

Laughing the group of Mandalorians looked her over once more and then looked to Casi. “So is she going to save him?”

“No,’ Shaking her head Casi motioned back toward the first deck. “She’s justa babe. Da actual healin’ master is in his quatas.”

“Ah, well,’ the Mandalorian who had spoken first eyed her up and down one last time. “Pay attention when you get to Mandalore jetii. You might learn a thing or two and maybe we’ll teach you to be a proper Jedi.”

Frowning in confusion Reela turned at Casi’s insistence and followed the woman back to her quarters. “What did they mean by making me a proper Jedi?”

“You really ‘ave no idea what you’va got’in inta do ya shorty?” Casi pointed toward the small console in her quarters.

“Do ya sef a favor luv an do sum homework on Freedom Nadd. If ya know whatcha fly’in inta it might ‘elp.” Reela set her bag down in her quarters and looked down at the lightsaber sitting on top of her clothes with a frown. She suddenly wanted nothing to do with the weapon because somehow she felt she didn’t have the right to wear it after the way the mandalorians had talked to her. Glancing at her chrono she saw she had about twenty minutes before she had to meet with Master Murr and decided to take Casi’s advice. Pulling up the information about Freedom after the first few paragraphs she could hear Casi’s voice in her head. You really ‘have no idea what you’va got’in inta do ya shorty? Her response was still the same as before, no, she had no clue and was now even more unsure given what she was reading.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

If Boolon had any thoughts on Casi’s choice of attire, they were comments that he kept to himself. He had been around a number of beings in his lifetime, who each ascribed to a different philosophy or way of life. He did not judge, nor did he question. Shaking the hand of Roan, he turned and took Casi’s hand in his, doing a slight bow. “Truly, I am grateful that you have volunteered to provide us with passage to Mandalore.” Boolon said, starting up the boarding ramp of the ship. “But I do say, haste is something that we must add to our vocabulary. I have a patient that I must attend to, it would seem.”

He was soon onboard the ship and let Casi and Roan complete their preflight checklists, so that they could depart Ossus and head to Mandalore. While he wanted to check on his newly assigned padawan, there were other matters that required his more direct attention.

Namely, to speak to the Mandalorians who were present on the ship.

Roan had told him where he could find them, and soon he found himself in front of a few of them.

“You’re the Jedi who is going to save my vod?” The Mandalorian from before asked.

“I cannot guarantee safety, merely that I will do everything in my power to ensure that your brother is safe.” Boolon said.

“You speak Mando’a?” Someone asked, a look of confusion on some of the faces.

No, it wasn’t confusion, but maybe a small modicum of surprise.

Boolon nodded. “Many things I have picked up in my travels. Being your brother’s baar’ur, it is not something that I take lightly. If you have any information on the nature of what happened, anything at all will help.”
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Jeston turned away from the Ithorian and took a datapad from one of the Mandalorians behind him. Spinning back around he handed it to the Jedi and tapped a few buttons on his gauntlet and his palm started to project a holographic video while he spoke. “I’ll give you the short version without the actual briefing information on that datapad. Deegan’s injuries are from two grenades, one in which he was laying on top of to save lives while there are other injuries from blaster fire that we have taken care of. The major injuries are from the concussive blast of the grenade going off underneath him. Various scans have shown his internal organs are barely functioning while one of his lungs does not resemble a lung at all.”

“Our doc has come to the conclusion that the lung might be unrecoverable but Freedom has a decidedly different take on all of it.” Closing his glove Jeston pointed at the datapad and handed also gave him a data disc.

“The datapad has several videos of the engagement from both the HUD’s of the attackers, Deegan, our team that was involved as well as video from the transports from when they flew over before evac. Every bit of audio from the fight is also on that datapad. Full briefings in video and written form of everyone involved are included, medical charts, records and histories of Deegan are included all the way back before the Xen’Chi War. Some of those records are Republic Army records so you might find them easier to view.”

Jeston offered the Ithorian his hand to shake it and continued talking. “That datadisc contains an encrypted account that will allow you to request any equipment, supplies and other information you might need. Please put that request in as soon as possible. We are aware you have not had the chance to see Deegan for yourself that is why our own information is as thorough as possible. You will be given whatever you require upon your arrival as well. Money is not an issue Master Healer so please do not think that you need to be frugal with our funds. That young man is a little brother to nearly everyone you will meet and his survival is important to all of us.”

Reela scrolled through the data contained in the ships database about Freedom Nadd and her lekku twitched involuntarily after only five minutes of reading. She lost track of time as she read articles from news organizations on Corellia, Imperial files about his parents murders by Jedi Hunters, his time living with the CEC CEO until he was taken in by the Jedi Order. Reela found the information about the Jedi Order both fascinating and disturbing. She read information and reports from various Jedi about Freedom’s actions as well as his treatment. The entire database on Freedom had so much information to not establish bias that she found it overwhelming. Glancing at the chrono she saw she was late for meeting Master Boolon and quickly ran out of her quarters. Running down the hall Reela stopped in front of the Master Healers room and waited for his invitation to enter.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

“It’s not a question of money, I’m afraid.” Boolon said, shaking his head. “It has far more to do with the time that has transpired since the injury.” He said, and looked down at the some of the information that had been provided by the Mandalorians. “There is always a short window with these things. I only hope that we will reach within that window of opportunity.”

“We’re going to make it on time.” One of the Mandalorians said. “Roan and Casi always complete their mission.”

Boolon nodded. He didn't doubt that the two former Jedi would get them as quickly as possible to their injured brethren. “If that is the case, I must use the time that we have remaining to study the information that you have provided. Master Mandalorians, I take your leave.” He said, bowing slightly, before turning and walking out of the room.

It didn’t take him that long to make it to his quarters, where he found Reela patiently waiting outside.

“Master Muur.” She said, with a small smile.

“Follow me.” He said, and opened the door to his quarters, stepping inside. Placing the datapad on the table, he plugged it into a display, that blew the information up, making it larger. “Tell me what you see.” He said, as his eyes went over the information himself.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Reela looked at the information and her mind began to ‘hum’ as she called it. Thoughts came and went but her medical training stuck. There were countless breaks in the bones around the sternum, bruising in both lungs along with a multitude of injuries away from the vital organs. The most important and life threatening was something that she noticed though. “His heart, it’s bruised. Lacerations from his sternum fracturing have cut into it and each time he takes a breath it is making what little bacta treatment they are applying useless. He barely has any bone structuring to his chest anymore because of the concussion impact from the grenade. Stomach, liver, intestines, all of them are barely operable. His diaphragm isn’t even functioning properly and even his one working lung is doing nothing but spasming air into his bloodstream.”

Wrapping one of her lekku around herself Reela walked through the data and pulled up an image of the battle itself. She zoomed in and zoomed out, played video and rewound it. Multiple angles showed his body being thrown through the air but the most dramatic images were from the rescue ships. The trail of blood was impressive and the audio made her confused given that Mandalorians were supposed to be extremely calm in battle but a females voice was erratic, emotional and decidedly distraught. “Master, from what I can tell his body was drug over twenty yards by the female in the video, his body was thrown another ten yards at least by the explosions. I do not have extensive knowledge of the weaponry used or how well his armor contained everything immediately after the explosions but I must say that with the amount of blood he lost there is no reasonable explanation for him to even be alive.”

Tapping a few buttons Reela brought up a small image of Freedom Nadd that was attached to the file. It contained no information about him beyond what he had done to help their patient in his current situation but she had a feeling he had something to do with the man not being dead. “Who is he? I have read just a small bit of information on him that is contained in this ships database but he should be in the Order. Anyone with his abilities would be on the Council, he was on the Council as a Knight so who is he? Clearly the reason this man is alive is because of him.”
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Boolon was studying the information that they had. Most of his theories were the same as Reela's own. Yes, this padawan was talented. That was good, very good. Boolon enjoyed working with people who brought talent and dedication to his work. He had confirmed the former, and soon he would do the same with the later. Reela would be an excellent student to work with. Wrapped up in his thoughts, he was brought back to the present by her question. "Ah, yes, Freedom Nadd. There are many stories that I could tell you about Freedom Nadd." Boolon said. "It is true, he was a knight on the council, a feat only accomplished by two others, in my memory. But what's important to note is not that, but the mystery and the mystique of the man himself. Few people truly know him, and many venture to say that these days, the Mandalorians know him better than anyone."

"But he is a Jedi, isn't he?" She asked.

"I've never met the man." Boolon admitted. "I wouldn't classify him as anything. Many people claim to be Jedi and don't live to the code that we are called to live by. Others say that they aren't, and act in a manner more becoming than those who do. Who am I to judge and who am I to say that one is a Jedi and one isn't? Who are any of us for that matter?" He asked, sitting down in his chair. "What do the stories that you've heard or read indicate to you?" He asked.

"That he's a survivor." Reela said and Boolon nodded. She looked away for a moment. "He's a survivor and he's the reason why this Mandalorian is still alive right now."

"Quite right, Reela. Quite right. Which shows a dedication to brethren and a love of his fellow comrade. That shows me that he is a man worth helping. Now, let's discuss how we should help our patient."
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Reela ran through the injuries in her head and knew they had to start with the man’s heart. The body was a finicky thing to try and heal through massive injuries. Things could go badly quickly if things went too well or went badly. Her learned knowledge was massive while her actual experience was minimal. “Master I will be honest in saying that I have only the basic knowledge of where to begin.”

Boolon made a move that was akin to his species raising an eyebrow at the sight of his apprentice admitting she knew too little to approach the subject. “What does the Force tell you?”

“I hear nothing from the Force on where to start,’ Reela pointed toward the man’s heart. “Using what I have learned I would begin at his heart and then move on to stabilizing his sternum and other internal organs. He can live on one lung with the bacta once we heal the heart so we can heal the other organs but otherwise Master I have no idea.”
Turning back to Boolon Reela put a hand on her hip. “How do you use the Force to tell you where to start healing?”
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

"Most times it through the simple act of beginning to help." Boolon said. "The Force permeates everything and is inherently bound and tied to life. How then, would it be happy with a loss of life? How relieved then, would it be if life was saved and nurtured?" He asked. "As you start your work on your patients, you will begin to understand what I say. You may not feel it now, but when your patient suffers before you, and your sense of empathy takes over, that is when the Force is telling you where to start healing. It has been said that healers are some of the most emotional beings, and this is true. Even a doctor who appears so rough on the outside and so jaded against the world, that doctor is only like that because they care so much, and the exterior shell protects the interior feelings. Much like a beetle with it's carapace."

"When I feel for my patients, that is the Force?" She asked as she walked around the room, contemplating what he was talking about and Boolon nodded. "So it isn't a voice crying out in my head, but a sense of urgency in my motions and my actions?" Reela asked.

"If that is the only lesson that you learn in our time together, then I will feel that I have accomplished much. Everyone feels the Force differently. I know of a padawan back on Ossus who loves the water, and so for Tone Krellisk, the Force is always like a strong current. The more...interesting the scenario around her, the faster the surge within. You will learn over time how the Force feels to you."

Reela nodded and looked back down at the data display. "How does it feel to you?" She asked.

"Like rays of sunlight cutting through the top of the rainforest's canopy, penetrating through a veil of darkness and showering us with a guiding light. It feels like the morning dew that rolls off of leaves, a physical reminder that nature is there to preserve and protect. It feels like a footstep into soft mud, on one's trail through the forest, the reassuring feeling that we all have our mark to leave, our footprint to lay in the forest." He looked away and then smiled. "But come, we should learn more of our Mandalorian hosts. Undoubtedly there will be little time for any of that, once we reach our destination."
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

It had been a few days since he had met Serenity. In that time, the Kid had been assigned a bed, in a room with a few others. Since he was the latecomer to the party, he found himself waking up on the top bunk. But he didn’t mind, since it was at least some kind of hospitality. He wasn’t sure what he was doing here, but more importantly, he wasn’t sure how long he would be able to stay. It wasn’t like the Jedi would be able to take care of him forever; they had enough mouths to feed as it was. They were reeling from the attack on their Temple as well.

The battle itself had been scary, and the Kid had been worried that maybe whoever these people were, they were going to get to the Temple. But the Jedi had pushed them back. Living up to the stories that he’d heard back on Brevost, the Kid had watched and had heard how the Jedi forces, with the help of the New Republic, had managed to stop the invading forces and repel them.

In the back of his mind, he had worried that maybe bad luck just seemed to follow him.

Now he was sitting in one of the cafeterias, staring at his tray of food. He ate, silently, not only because in a room full of plenty he had none to speak to, but also more because he had nothing to say. The Kid couldn’t remember his past, and as far as he could tell, he had no future.

So really what was there to talk about?

He was sitting there, when three boys plopped down at the table. He looked up and his eyes widened. They were fairly large, and they looked fairly strong. But then someone sat down right next to him, and this newcomer, was tiny compared to them. She was like a little girl. But she had an Ithorian apple in her hands and she was eating it rather comfortably.

“Talk to me, kid.” She said.

“What?” He asked, unsure of what was going on.

“You’re a new kid on the block, and I don’t know your name.” She said. “I know everyone’s name and I don’t know yours. Gotta fix that. Gotta know what I’m working with.” She said.

“Uh, I don’t…I don’t have a name.” He said. “I don’t remember it.”

“Well that sucks for you.” She said. “My name’s Arisia. You remember that. Because unfortunately for you, you took my apple.” Arisia said, taking a healthy bite.

“No, I didn’t. You’re holding it right now, what the-“ He said, but as he was talking, she reached out and grabbed one of his hands, and opened it up, smacking her apple into his palm.

“Guys, he took my apple. Take him apart.” She said.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

“What the heck happened to you?”

One of the healer apprentices in the medical ward was staring at the black eye on the Kid’s face and some of the bruises on this arms.

“I think I took an apple?” He said, moving a cracked lip.

“Was it Arisia?” The apprentice asked, and when the Kid didn’t say anything, only his face changed slightly, the apprentice nodded. “It was, wasn’t it. Look, I don’t know what the deal is with her, but she gets away with murder around here.” He said. When the Kid’s face changed again and he looked up, worried, the apprentice shook his head. “It’s just an expression. She’s never actually hurt anyone like that. Arisia’s just a bully.”

“A bully with some big friends.” The Kid replied.

The apprentice nodded as he looked over the rest of the Arisia’s apple incident inflicted injuries. “Nothing too major, you’ll live.”

“Small miracles.” The Kid said, sliding off the examination table. “Would it be possible to keep this between us?” He asked. “I don’t want to cause any problems, and whatever is happening, I doubt it’s going to happen again.”

“You don’t want anything to happen to her?”

“No.” The Kid said. “I think I know how to deal with it.”

The older boy shrugged. “Whatever you say, man.” He said shaking his head. “Just don’t get your face rubbed out next time.” He added as the Kid left the room. “Crazy kid.” He said to himself. “Doesn’t remember his own name. Crazy.”
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

It had been approximately two months since Guan's father attacked Ossus and nearly brought the Jedi Order to its knees. In the days following the battle, L'hnnar was tasked with gathering intelligence and, if possible, actively putting an end to whatever was left of the Sith's forces. He had approached Guan, having already recruited Trec Thul and Zarran Thakrre, but Guan had to decline. While he was not being ordered to do it, the Whipid knew of his family struggles of late. More than anything, the mission into Darth Trayus's controlled space was an opportunity. The Jedi Master understood and wished him well, and a few days later he took a small contingent of Jedi with him to chase the leads Cadden had given Cazzik onboard the Star Rider. Guan wished he could go, but he knew he would have been more a liability, than an asset, to their mission.

Guan had since been in a state of seclusion, hardly showing himself even around Neddac or Ryy'Suuk, as he spent a majority of his time in his quarters deep in a meditative trance, attempting to calm the swell of emotions that had surfaced lately. First he learned his brother had fallen to the dark side, then his father. And now, once again, his father had gone missing. Cazzik had let him go, recognizing the truth that Cadden's actions were not his own. Though Guan doubted the Council would see it the same way, he had not heard of any decisions or repercussions on Cazzik's choices. Did he neglect to include that detail in his debriefing report? And, if so, Daer'Gunn must have been going along with it. Perhaps there was a bright future for the Order, yet. Guan was still worried for his father, however. Even if he was free of that spirit's control, no doubt its influence would have remained. What would become of him, he wondered.

"Do not follow me," Cadden told him. "Don't try to find me. Otherwise, Cazzik's efforts will be undone." His father had gone into exile, and did not wish to be found. While Guan could see the logic in his choices, he also feared for his father's safety and future. It was this very course of action that turned him into that monster called Darth Trayus, even if his choices were deeply driven by that dark side spirit. But he had to trust Cazzik's judgment on this matter, and trust his father was free from the spirit's influence.

Guan thought back to Dagobah, and the vision he experienced in the cave. He thought back on his father's words; or, rather, what he believed to be his father's words. "A great darkness is coming," he recalled. "It will consume the galaxy. I thought I was strong enough to stop it, but instead it consumed me. Son, it's up to you. You must stop what is coming."

But did they stop it? Guan wasn't so sure. True, they ended Darth Trayus's reign and thwarted his attempts to destroy the Jedi Order, but did it stop there? Knowing his father, Cadden was referring to something far more sinister in nature than that which he became, and the thought that, even trapped as Darth Trayus, Cadden warned him of something coming, unsettled him. Cadden couldn't have been referring to himself or what he had become, he would have been far more forthcoming about it.

He then recalled both his and Reina's visions. There was something on the horizon, and it was coming. Darth Trayus's demise did not change that. But the question was, what was he referring to, and how could they stop it? He was grateful Reina was up to the task. With both Jerik's and Cadden's fall to the dark side so heavily on his mind, he wouldn't have been much good in the search for answers.

Guan was still troubled to learn of his brother's fall to the dark side, however. He couldn't stop Jerik, and had nearly died in his attempts to sway him from his pursuits. Guan found he was blaming himself more and more for Jerik's becoming of a Sith Lord. He should have accompanied his brother to Onderon, stay his ambitions. Had he been there, instead of being passive in response to what happened and staying on Taylon, Jerik would never have fallen to the dark side of the Force. And, perhaps, together they could have helped their father long before he lost all control.

One single decision, one single event, could change the entire course of history, he mused. And, yet, Guan felt a heavy burden settle on his shoulders when he realized that much of what had happened with Jerik and his father was his fault.

He was able to help right one of those wrongs, but Jerik was still out there, and liable to continue on his dark path. Guan knew it was his personal responsibility to stop him before it was too late. He knew there was still good in Jerik, he just had to find a means to reach out to him.

Guan knew, now, what he had to do. He rose from his meditative position and readied himself for the journey ahead. He was still wounded, and between his physical pain and emotional state, he was well aware he could not accomplish this alone, nor was he in any condition to fight. But there were others that could, and there were those that would be more than willing to help him bring his brother back.

He was taking a huge risk, but Guan didn't see himself as having any other choice. He contacted both Ryy'Suuk and Neddac and requested they meet him at his quarters; unsurprisingly, they were not far from his position, and he had no doubt the Wookiee had been immensely worried about him these past weeks. He needed to speak with them in private. What he was going to do did not need to be overheard by anyone.

Within minutes, both arrived and Guan instructed them to lock the door. The last thing he needed was someone unintentionally hearing what he was about to discuss with them. "Neddac," he said, giving the human replica droid his full attention, "you were programmed to mimic my father's every action, every move. Nobody knows him better than you do. I need you to help me find him."

"I have no information in my databank on where he would have gone," Neddac said. "He left me with no instructions on what to do upon his disappearance."

"But you can determine what he could have done, where he might have gone." Ryy'Suuk roared his concerns of this plan, reminding Guan of what Cadden had done the past couple years. The Wookiee still owed Cadden a life-debt, but Guan knew he was very cautious of him, given his actions as Darth Trayus. But Ryy'Suuk wasn't there when he was finally defeated, nor did he understand the Force or what happened to him. "We have no choice," he argued. "My brother is still out there, and we need someone he will listen to. If I confront him on my own again, this time I will die." Guan looked at them both. "My father was influenced by a powerful dark side spirit, his actions were not his own. When Cazzik stripped him of the Force… it nearly cost him his life. He was far different, at that point; he was no longer Darth Trayus, but then he was also no longer Cadden Blackthorne, either. Something happened to him that changed him. He barely even remembered anything more than what he had done. He wasn't even sure why he did what he did."

Neddac was silent for a moment. "If Master Blackthorne is still alive, he would likely be in a state of extreme duress," he finally said. "If what he had done was against his will, there would be much confusion and emptiness in him. There are good odds he would be trying to find himself again."

"So where would that take him?" Guan asked. There were dozens of places that could lead to, and those were only the ones he knew about. Who knew how many locations his father could have chosen from?

"A man like him would require a renewed purpose," Neddac said. "He would likely return to what he knows best." Guan swallowed hard, having a bad feeling about what Neddac was about to suggest. "If his objective were to lay low, he would not return to bounty hunting. But he would look to his past to determine where he might best belong."

"Mandalore," Guan muttered. There was no other explanation. His father must have returned there to seek out his purpose, much like he did during the Xen'Chi War. Guan had not been there since that woman lured him to die on Dagobah. There was no telling what might have occurred there since Cadden would have arrived. "Gather your gear," he continued, "we leave now."

Guan packed his armor in order to conceal his intentions from the others in the temple, not wanting to raise any suspicions among the Jedi. He wasn't sure what to expect on Mandalore, but he was certain that he would get better results if he showed them he still honored the teachings they gave him. Not that they did much good, he thought. It wasn't a slight against the Mandalorians, but he wasn't fully aware of what he was training with them for until he had fought his brother. Truthfully, Guan wasn't sure if he could do much else to prepare for his inevitable next encounter with Jerik.

The trio got to the Hellfire and immediately prepped the ship for departure. Guan didn't want to waste any time getting to Mandalore. If anyone could help him get through to Jerik, it would be their father. He powered up the ship's engines and navigated out of the hangar. It wasn't long until they broke atmosphere and cleared the ships in orbit before he initiated the jump to lightspeed. Guan waited until the ship had entered hyperspace before he eased off the controls. He realized he was on edge, and needed to calm himself, especially before he saw his father again. If he were to make this a productive meeting, he needed to be composed and remove the thought that he may be acting rashly.

"Man the controls," he said to Ryy'Suuk. "I need... time." Guan worked his way from the cockpit into the crew quarters. He stared at the small container that held his armor for a moment before he turned away and sat at the edge of his bunk. Guan let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes, attempting to focus. He utilized every method he was taught to try and calm himself, though he found that each was falling short. There was nothing in his training that could possibly prepare him for what he had to do. Nevertheless, Guan knew he had to try.

He focused on his emotions over his brother and his father, and sought out that one spot of peace. The eye of the storm that swelled within him. Guan concentrated and struggled to empty himself of feelings. He found it difficult to open himself to the Force and shed how he felt over what became of his family. Instead of his memories, thoughts, and emotions being ignored, he couldn't help but focus on them. The fight with his father, the lightsaber that Jerik drove into his gut, the learning that both had fallen to the dark side, he was unable to shake them from his mind. Guan made several attempts, but each felt more futile than the last. Finally, he opened his eyes and stared back at the container that held his armor. While they were still several hours away from Mandalore, Guan needed to quiet his mind and open himself up. He needed to be calm and resolved when he found his father. Cadden needed to know his help was not being sought out in desperation.

But isn't it? he wondered. Guan took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He focused on the calming techniques he learned from the Order. From his mother. He closed his eyes once more.

"I am no longer Jerik Blackthorne," his brother's voice shouted at him, reminding him of their confrontation on Ronu II. "I am Darth Odium, Dark Lord of the Sith!"

"Jerik, stop this madness before it's too late," Guan's voice pleaded. "Please, come back with me to the Jedi."

"I accepted my fate, bother," Jerik said, his voice calm and controlled. "You should do the same."

"Be weary of what you fight for, Guan,"
L'hnnar had warned him. "It might end up being your undoing."

"Confused, you are,"
Yoda's words echoed. "Uncertain of what you are meant to do. Discover something about yourself, you must. Your path, clearly, this is. To the Force, look for guidance. Accept what fate has placed before us."

"Go with courage, Guan,"
he recalled his grandfather, Faarel, telling him back on Dagobah. "The answers you seek, I believe, will present themselves in time."

"There has been much tragedy in both our families, and you have risen above it,"
he heard Cazzik's voice in his head."You are a brave Jedi, Guan Blackthorne, and an honorable man. I would be proud to have you as my own son."

"I do not want you to make the same mistakes I have,"
Cadden had once said to him. "Go to the Jedi. You belong there, not with the Mandalorians."

Guan winced slightly. He knew his father was only trying to protect him and Jerik, but he feared that, in doing so, perhaps he inadvertently caused these events. Had Cadden taken them in, instead of sending them to the Jedi Order, then the three of them could have helped each other. His father wouldn't have succumbed to the dark spirit they believed they had vanquished those years back, in the Udine system, and Jerik would not have fallen to the dark side.

There. He found it. Guan focused on that one thing that he could, that glimmer of hope and redemption. They were stronger together than they were apart. Surely Cadden had to realize this, as well. He only ever wanted to protect us. Guan knew their father had always felt inadequate regarding their upbringing. He chose the only option he felt was best for them. And Guan should have fought it. Jerik should have fought it. They should have never separated, none of them.

He opened his eyes. Family. That was all it came down to. Cadden would be displeased that Guan had disobeyed him, with so much at stake, but he would get over it. What matters, now is us. Family. To Chaos with plans and schemes, with protecting Jerik and me. Father needs us, now more than ever, whether he chooses to admit it or not. And Guan needed him. Jerik needed him. Cadden was an expert bounty hunter, and trained to take down both Jedi and otherwise. He was crucial to finding Jerik and bringing him home, steering him away from the dark side and finding redemption for his misdeeds.

OOC: Continued in The Mandalorian Protectors.