Wonder Woman

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Wonder Woman

Post by peayitforward »

Diana Aricia, as she was now known, looked at the huge city that was Metropolis. It was a huge sprawling city, and the whole place seemed to be constantly bright, constantly shining. No wonder Superman likes it here. Explains why Batman doesn’t. No place for him to hide. She thought. The airplane that she was on was a flight from New York City. She’d figured that it would have been too conspicuous for her to fly in personally. While the people of Metropolis might have been used to Superman or the Fantastic Five moving around, she would have been someone new. Also, she could have sworn that the purpose of this was to keep a low profile. Something told her that such an action would have been the opposite of what she was trying to do. The plane that she was on started it’s descent, and Diana watched as the city slowly grew closer and closer.

When she reached the baggage claim, she realized that she wasn’t sure where to go to next. After all, she’d decided on Metropolis, but besides that she didn’t have anything. The brooding man had said that he would be able to help there, but he hadn’t been in touch with her. Not since she’d left the Watchtower. She couldn’t expect to depend on his help. Not only was it unfeasible, she would never deign to depend on another person, especially not a Man. It flew in the face of everything that she knew and all that had been drilled into her from early on in her life. Stepping out of the airport, Diana was about to just try to get a cab and see where that went, when a man walked up to her.

Elderly gentlemen, a head of graying hair that also seemed to be thinning.

“Hello, ma’am.” He said, and his voice was different from what she was used to when it came to the world of Men. “Heard you were coming in on this flight, might I be of assistance?” He asked.

“You are?” She asked, testily.

“My name, is Winston.” He said. “I work for a man named John Isaiah Muir.” He said. “Never heard of him, have you?” He asked.

“No, I never have.”

“Ah, well, that’ll crush him.” Winston said. “Anyway, you and he have a mutual friend. Man, dresses up like a bat.” He said, his voice lowering a little. “He asked Isaiah to look out for you here in Metropolis.”

“I see.” Diana said, still unsure of what was going on, and unsure if she should trust the man in front of her who claimed to wish to help her. She had heard enough horror stories about the world of Men.

Winston indicated the black Rolls Royce Phantom. “He’s very interested in meeting you and I think he has something that will help you, ma’am.” He said.

“I don’t need the help, though I appreciate it.” She said.

“There’s a difference, I think, between being independent and having pride.” Winston said, with his unusual accent. “Learning the difference between them and understanding it, that’s something that can take a lifetime.” He said.

There was something about this man that didn’t make her want to get angry with him for his comment. She wasn’t sure what it was, but she could feel that his words, while potentially inflammatory, had not been stated with such a purpose. She walked over to the trunk and put the incredibly small carry on that she had into the trunk. “I think I understand what you mean.” Diana said. “I will hear what this Isaiah Muir has to say.” She said.

“Good, because he’s in the car.” Winston said.

Getting into the car, Diana looked at the man in the spacious Rolls Royce. He was dressed in a business suit, that looked like it was worth a lot of money. Looking down at his mobile, he was writing some kind of email or something like that. She shut the door, and this got his attention.

“Diana Aricia. Our mutual friend has told me quite a great deal about you. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He said, extending his hand. “Isaiah Muir.”

She shook her head with a rueful smile. “I thought our mutual friend was big on secrets. This doesn’t seem to be within the realm of that school of thought.” She said, as she didn’t shake his hand. She watched as he looked down at it for a moment and then let it fall back down to his side.

“He is. His secrets. Other peoples’, well, it depends on the need of the situation. Complicated guy, he is.” Isaiah said, as the car started on it’s way.

“That is an understatement. That does sound like something he would do.” Diana said. “You have the ability to...help...me?”

He nodded. “He said that you’re going to be in need of a job and a place to stay. I can help you with both.” He said. “It’s not going to be a cushy job, but he also said that you have quite possibly the strongest spine on a woman he’s ever met in his life.”

This brought a slight smile to her face. “Did he?” She asked.

“Something like that.” He said. “Said that there’s nothing you can’t handle, so I think you should be alright in this job. By the way, do you know who I am?” He asked.

“No.”

He blanked. “Really?” He asked. “You’re kidding. Isaiah Muir. Muir/Nevins Trust? Wayne Enterprises?” He asked.

“No. I’m...from overseas.” She said.

“Right.” Isaiah said. “Well, let’s just say I run a really big company. One of the biggest in the world.”

“Akin to Chase Enterprises?” Diana said, remembering the logo that she had seen once or twice on the Watchtower.

He grimaced slightly. “Sort of. Chase isn’t...we’re...competitors and that’s giving them more credit than they deserve.” He said, mildly, as he looked out of the window at the view of downtown Metropolis that was slowly approaching. “That’s not really important. He told me that you didn’t know too much about the world and that you were looking to learn more. So I think I came up with the perfect job for you.” He said.

“What is it?” She asked.

He pointed out of the window. “You’re going to be working there.”
My family puts the FUN in Dysfunctional!
"You declare War?! I Accept!"~ Crow

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by peayitforward »

Diana watched as he pointed at a large, very large building. It was so foreign to her, but that was because most of the buildings on Themyscira were built out of marble, and wood, not steel and concrete. Also, they were never this tall. She had never seen buildings this tall until this day. This world that she was now a part of was so big, so large, there were so many things that were going on. It was a lot to take in sometimes. She looked at him. “What is that?” She asked.

“It’s called the Daily Planet. One of the best, and most respected newspapers in the world. A great staff, a great product. Bottom line is fairly decent too, for a print newspaper these days. They’ve moved into online print as well, and the division is growing. Bloggers and the like.” Isaiah said, some of the words completely lost on Diana. “You can see the big globe on the top. It’s cool.” He said, and she was forced to lean towards him in order to see out of the window.

“How are you going to get me a job there?” She asked, moving back to her original position.

“Oh. I own it.” Isaiah said with a shrug. “You’re going to be a journalist there. Hopefully they taught you how to write on that island of yours, Princess.” He said with a smirk. “You’re going to need it.”

She gave him a slight glare. “I will be able to figure it out.” She said. “A journalist who travels around the world. That’s a good story for someone who may need to leave at a moment’s notice.” She said and he nodded. “You know, you're actually smarter than you look.”

He tried to be affronted. “I look like a genius. Though I guess that means I'm smarter than a genius. I'll accept this.” Isaiah said, with mock indignation. The look was comical on his face, at least to her, and she stopped an inclination to smile. That would only feed this man’s ego, which seemed to need to be brought down a few pegs. She wondered if there was a way to actually insult him without him being able to redirect it. It remained to be seen.

“Of that, I’m sure.” Diana replied, evenly. “I have a job, but I do not have a place to stay.” She said, meanwhile thinking about the man in the car with her. He seemed to have considerable pull, considerable power in this world of Men.

“I was going to cover a place to stay, but I got a message from someone saying that they’ve got it covered.” He said. They continued to drive, until they were three blocks from the Daily Planet. Here they were at a large rise apartment building. The Rolls was parked, and Winston came around to open the door for Diana. She just nodded as she stepped out of the vehicle. Isaiah walked out and came around. “Shall we?” He asked.

They entered the building and Isaiah pulled out a small phone. Looking at a message he nodded, getting the number of the floor that the apartment was on. “It's on the eighty eighth floor.” He said.

“That’s very high up.” She said as they entered the elevator, and she turned around, watching him press the button for the desired floor.

“Scared of heights?” He asked, with interest.

“I’m not scared of anything.” She replied as the elevator started to move. “I’m just not used to it yet.”

The rest of the ride was in silence, but that was because the elevator moved very quickly. When they stepped out, she saw that they were on the eighty eighth floor. Moving over to one of the doors, Isaiah checked the door and found it unlocked. Opening the door, they stepped inside.

Post by Nichalus »

The Special Projects Lab in the Fortress of Solitude was a marvel of modern science, and any modern day scientist would be astounded by what some of the equipment here could do, some of which was reconstructed from Kryptonian blueprints, and some were from various alien species that Kal-El had befriended during his travels in the universe.

Ree enjoyed coming to the lab and researching the various oddities that he had found, and some of the objects that Kal-El had stored here. It kept his mind occupied, and at the moment he needed to have the distraction, as his mind kept drifting towards Diana ever since she had left the Watchtower. He also knew that Isaiah would be with her at this very moment, and he kept wanting to look in on them, but to do so would be very intrusive. Ree trusted The Batman, but his alter ego Isaiah left much to be desired...which when he thought about it, seemed to be ironically silly to even think such a thought, since both men were one and the same.

Shaking the thought from his head, Ree was peered through one of the highly advanced Kryptonian microscopes at a particularly virulent alien virus that he had found during his travels around the cosmos. This one had been detected during his decontamination process he always performed when he returned from his deep space adventures, since he did not wish to expose the Earth to bacteria from other worlds, as most would, or could, completely eradicate the human species as a whole. It was for this reason that Ree studied them, so that a cure could be created on the off chance the Earth was ever exposed. If it was one thing Ree was, was pro-active. He may never need it, but as the old Earth saying goes...'Better to have it and not need it, rather than need it, and don't have it.'

Ree reached down to scratch the head of Krypto, whom normally stayed by his side when he was visiting the Fortress, but instead he found nothing but air. Taking his eyes away from the microscope, he looked down, then peered through the walls with his X-Ray Vision, and found no sign of him.

"Kelex." Ree called out. "Where is Krypto?"

*****Back in Metropolis*****

Muir immediately sensed that there was something wrong within the spacious apartment. A cool draft swirled around the room, as if an open window was allowing it to come in, which would be odd since the highly sought after apartments were climate controlled, and since it had been empty for some time there would be no reason for that.

Unconsciously, he stepped in front of Diana as if preparing to defend her, but then the draft carried another clue, as he could smell something distinct in the wind...a wild smell, or the faint musky scent of a ...animal.

"Oh....shit..." Muir hissed under his breath.

The growl literally caused several floors above and below Diana's apartment to reverberate as her and Isaiah entered it. In the dim lighting of the living space, a large shadowy form peered around the corner of the rooms plush sofa, eyes glowing a dark crimson red with the low light accenting a horrifying gleam of bared sharp canine teeth.

Slowly Krypto crept around the corner of the sofa, the soft pads of his huge paws making no sound on the marbled tile flooring. The hairs on the back of his neck were standing fully erect, with his head lowered below his large broad shoulders as he slowly stalked towards Diana and Isaiah, but it was perfectly obvious that it was Muir that held Krypto's deadly gaze.

It was only moments before their arrival that Krypto found the apartment, his keen Kryptonian nose able to find Diana's place with ease since all of her clothing that she had brought with her was delivered several hours prior to her arrival, or more in importantly clothing that she had worn and her scent was upon them. The scent he was able to track, even from orbit, his Kryptonian canine senses able to pinpoint the exact location even from orbit.

He knew that the Master would be upset with him for leaving the Fortress, but he immediately connected to Diana when they met at the Fortress. He felt a hunter's spirit with her, plus it didn't help that she knew the exact spot on his neck to scratch, and with just the right amount of strength.

Gaining access through the window was easy for a canine with laser beam eyes, and he quickly slipped in and began sniffing around the large apartment. But then his hyper-sensitive hearing heard her footsteps, smelled her scent coming down the hallway. His tail began to wag happily that he was be able to see her again, but then 'The Dark Man's smell invaded on hers, it overpowered hers with his gloomy taint. He did not like 'The Dark Man, and as the door opened, he began to show his displeasure.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Post by peayitforward »

"Krypto." She said with a smile. Walking towards the dog she lowered herself so that she was crouched. "But I've only been gone for a day." She added. The large dog trudged towards her still growling low in his throat. His eyes were on Isaiah and she turned to look at him. "You're upsetting him."

"He's upsetting me." Isaiah replied.

"Worse things have probably happened." Diana said with a smile. She scratched his neck in the right spot and then looked at him, cupping his jaw in her hands. "Be a good boy for Isaiah. Just like you were for..." She trailed off and then looked at Isaiah. "This is strange."

"Not sure why. I love dogs." Was the reply.

Looking back at Krypto, the black haired woman slightly shook his jaw and his attention came to her. "Behave?" She asked. When the growling subsided, she smiled. "That's a good boy." Rising she slid her hands up the jeans as she did and then looked at Isaiah. "I guess I have a dog." She said. "Which makes me wonder what protective measures that the other one did, considering Krypto." She said.

"Right. Well our mutual friend said you could take care of yourself so I don't think he did anything." Isaiah said looking at the door. Reaching into his pocket he handed her a thumb drive. "This has all the particulars of the job. You start tomorrow. Don't be late, Diana."

"Does this mean that you're my boss?" She asked ignoring the flash of annoyance that his remark about her punctuality caused

"Indirectly yeah."

"I'll try to make you a lot of money. Since that's something you're interested in."

"Well I appreciate that. Keeps the lights on at the mansion." He said with a smirk and she had to shake her head. He was like most Men that was obvious. But there was something that made him different. "Have a good first day." Isaiah said walking out.

She turned to Krypto. "Now what am I supposed to do with you?"

Post by Nichalus »

Krypto gave Diana a quizzical tilt of his head at her question. Unknown to Diana, and most people for that matter, was that Krypto understood the English language, but due to his animal physiology he did not have the vocal cords capable of speech.

"Are you hungry?" Diana asked.

With those words Krypto perked up on his haunches, licking his lips as if stating that indeed he was. But before she could respond, a panel on the wall chirped for attention. Diana stepped over to the display and pressed a green blinking button. Superman's face appeared on the display, he was smiling sheepishly, and it matched the one on Diana's face.

"To answer the question before you ask. Yes, he is here." Diana stated, but as she turned to look at Krypto there was a sudden rush of wind and Krypto was nowhere in sight.

"I am so sorry Princess." Superman said. "He's a good dog, but he does have his mischievous side. I will come by and get him shortly."

Diana could suppress the laugh. "No, no. He's fine. It's kind of nice to have him here to keep me company."

Superman seemed to think for a moment and looked back at Diana with a slightly pensive look. "Are you sure Diana? I mean...he is a unique animal. While he seems to have taken a liking to you, and I'm sure that you will be able to handle him. He does have basically the same abilities and strengths that I possess, but with a 'animal's' mentality."

"No Ree, I'm sure we will be fine." Diana responded with a smile. "If something should happen, I'm assuming that I can use this machine to contact you."

"Of course, the 'blue' button will call my private number." Again the sheepish smile returns to his lips. "I assure you the device is a 'one-way' only monitor, so no one can pry into the video camera unless you allow it."

Diana again chuckled slightly at Ree'Van's seeming uncomfortable statement, and his 'gentleman' type of behavior. "I see. And thank you Ree. I will make sure that Krypto is well taken care of."

Superman smiled and nodded before Diana cut the comm unit and then turned around and looked for Krypto. "He's gone boy, you can come out now."

When she did not get an answer, concern crossed her face hoping that he was not scared off, when she faintly heard a strange mewling sound somewhere in the back rooms of the apartment. Cautiously she went down the hallway, and when she came to the first room her mouth opened in shock at the sight in front of her.

There in the fused opening of the large window that Krypto had burned through to gain access, was Krypto hovering outside the window with a large cow held firmly in his powerful jaws by the scruff of it's neck still alive and did not appear to be concerned about it's current situation. Krypto's tail was wagging in earnest, his lips around the cow's neck seemingly grinning at her.

"Moooooo..." The cow looked at Diana with its emotionless face.

"Hera's Blood..." Diana stated as she brought a hand up and laid her face into it.

Post by peayitforward »

“Krypto, put the cow back.” She said, and the dog whined in response. The cow for it’s part just looked at her blankly, but she could see that fear was possibly starting to creep into it’s eyes. “Krypto, now.” She said.

His tail wagged in response, but he turned and flew away. When he returned, without the cow, Diana was rather relieved. “How about we just order a steak?” She asked.

He gave her a look that told her that obviously they were the same thing.

“Yes, but I can’t cook a whole cow here, in this apartment, can I?” She asked and he gave her another look. She paused and considered, realizing what the look was for. “No, you weren’t going to use heat vision on the cow.” Diana added, with a sigh.

He whined.

“Do you give Ree this much trouble?” She asked.

At the sound of the name, the dog’s tail dropped a bit, clearly he felt saddened by the fact that he’d probably upset Ree. She reached out and scratched the top of his head. “I’m sure everything will be okay.” She said. “Now, I need some time to get ready for tomorrow, so, I’m not sure what you do to keep yourself occupied, but go ahead.” She said, heading into the bedroom. Then she popped back out. “No cows.” She added and then disappeared again.

---

The next day, Diana rose and after doing her morning routine of what the Amazons called stretching and the people of the world of Men called Yoga, she left to go to her first day of work at the Daily Planet. The walk was short, only three blocks, and soon she found herself standing in front of the tall building. It was huge, and she’d tried to keep her reaction to it minimal. Inside however, she couldn’t help but marvel at the achievement of Men. To build such a structure was astounding, though if only they could concentrate on things like this instead of war and hurting each other, they’d make leaps and bounds. Even a building like this had it’s fair share of blood soaked into it, considering the history of America. But she could appreciate the beauty of the place without worrying too much about the past.

After all, she knew the past of Themyscira and from her history lessons she knew a good bit of the past of the outside world. Her job wasn’t to change the past, no one could really do that. Her job was to help shape the future. Apparently that would involve accurately reporting the events of the world to the people of Metropolis and others. Walking into the building, she hugged the brown leather jacket tighter around her frame.

Security stopped her, when she asked where to go, and they quickly ushered her to the top of the building. Walking through the hallways, she was guided into the Pit, which was quite unlike the Pit that Diana knew of. There, Amazons fought in contests of strength to prove who was better. Here, people shouted about the news and what was going on, seemingly everywhere. She heard of things called Twitter and Social Media and she wasn’t sure what that was.

In one of the hallways leading up to the editor’s office, she walked by portraits of the various past editors. One seemed to dominate the wall space, a painting of a man named Perry White. Diana had never heard of the man, but she wasn’t surprised by this at all.

Stepping into the office, she steeled herself for what she hoped would be a polite conversation. She didn’t know much about the person who was going to be her boss, but she knew that her words could rub someone the wrong way, since she was not on who was used to the way that people here spoke and conducted themselves.

The chair turned and Diana breathed a sigh of relief.

“Hello, you must be Diana Aricia, one of the new reporters.” A tall black haired woman, said, rising from her seat and extending a hand. “I’m Kerry Randall, the Editor in Chief of the Planet.” She said.

“Yes, I am. It is truly a pleasure to meet you.” Diana replied.

“Likewise.” Kerry said, unbuttoning the light teal jacket that she wore. “Now, you’ve come with a list of high recommendations, as well as a personal endorsement from Isaiah Muir.” She said. A slight frown came across her face. “Not every day I get a phone call from the boss of all bosses regarding a journalist.” She said.

“As you said, it’s a list.” Diana said, unsure of just who had actually recommended her.

“Well, everything looks good, so we’ll get you started right away.”

Post by peayitforward »

Soon she was taken to the pit, which was an interesting choice of terminology. It conjured up images of gladiators fighting to see who was the greatest. That was something that Diana was used to. As it turned out, this pit, as Kerry kept referring to it, was far more tame than anything that she had grown up with. The pit was a large room, filled with desks and computers. People milled about, going about their business. All of them were reporters or journalists, photographers, and editors. This was the heart of the Daily Planet as Kerry called it. The nerve center, the place were all the news came out.

“We’re down on our print subscription by three percent this quarter, but online subscriptions have been booming.” Kerry said as they walked into the room. “We’ve launched the Daily Planet app and it’s been a big hit on the Apple Store. Hasn’t taken off as much on the Android but we’re doing what we can.” She said.

Diana nodded, pretending to understand what the woman was referring to. Technology was something that was utterly foreign to her, and she knew it. The learning curve seemed so daunting sometimes. Everywhere she looked, there was something else that was new, something else that she had to know. How did people do it? It boggled the mind. Life was better on Themyscira, it was much simpler. But there was something about the World of Man that was dangerously exciting. She just wasn't sure what it was yet.

“Now, you’re going to be covering overseas news. I’m interested in opinion work from you, not just reporting the happenings. It’s going to mean long hours.”

Diana nodded again. Long hours working was something that the Amazonian was used to. Training had dominated much of her time, and that training could last for hours depending on what it was that she was doing. She aimed to be the best reporter that the Planet had seen, so she’d put in the leg work to make that happen. Time was something that she had, since she had nowhere to go, at least nowhere that was home.

No. Metropolis was to be her home now.

“Do I need to send copies of my articles to an editor?” She asked.

Kerry nodded. “Everything needs to be CC’ed to me. I approve your articles. At least for now. Eventually you’ll be able to hit submit, and it’ll go viral immediately, but that requires trust. Trust takes time.” She said.

“I understand.” Diana replied. “Which is my desk?” She asked, looking around, and Kerry pointed at a desk that wasn’t far from the epicenter of the room, but wasn’t too close either. That was good. She liked that.

“Alright. This is where I’ll leave you. Feel free to kick around a bit, get to know the place, the people. We’re a pretty close knit group around here and some people share a lot with strangers. But that’s journalists.” Kerry said with a smile. “If you need anything, you know where to reach me.” She said.

She started to walk away, but Diana called her back.

“I was wondering if I could cover the Detroit situation for my first piece.” Diana said.

“Detroit? That’s not exactly overseas.” Kerry replied with a frown.

“I understand, but I figure that a lot of our readers will be highly interested in the recovery efforts and what’s going on there after everything that happened with Supergirl and the Doomsday creature.” Diana said. She thought for a moment, trying to come up with a better reason. Or at least another reason. “Especially after everything that’s happened to the city in the past. I thought it might be a great way to introduce myself to the Daily Planet’s readers.” She added, hoping that the last bit was a touch of brilliance.

Kerry paused and considered. She nodded slowly, with a smile that grew on her face at the same speed.

“I like it. Keep your travel receipts. We’ll reimburse you.”

Post by Nichalus »

The next day...

Sheila Railback stopped from her work on the ruins of one of the several destroyed buildings in downtown Detroit and looked around at her crew, all of which were hard at work removing the loose debris on the ground floor of the multi-story complex. The work had been tedious, as they had to bring in several large metal support brackets to buttress the load bearing beams that kept the 8 floors above them from coming down and squashing them like so much bugs. But the demolition team would be arriving tomorrow and the floor needed to be cleared before they could start prepping for the explosives.

The battle between Doomsday, Superman and Supergirl had caused enormous amounts of devastation to the downtown area, with several buildings having to be brought down and cleared before any idea of rebuilding could be done. Not to mention the team of scientists and contamination suited workers that swooped in within moments after the conclusion of the battle, sealed off the area around Doomsday's body, and then within the span of an hour, the area was cleansed and the body removed without so much as a 'Your Welcome'.

Luckily for the city of Detroit, they had a giving financial benefactor in Damian Croft and Lexcorp who had ponied up nearly half the cost for the rebuild to the financially strapped city citing 'Humanitarian and Cultural Aid' to the historically storied city of steel and iron. Personally, Sheila thought it was just another political move on the part of Croft's need to wipe away the stain of Lexcorp's previous CEO, but...he signed the checks and she really didn't give a shit about the political aspects of his need to do so. He was just another man trying to prove his dick was bigger than the other like minded entrepreneurs, like that equally male chauvinist, Isaiah Muir.

"Ya gonna stand there and daydream all day Boss Lady, or actually get some work done?" Mac stated as he walked by Sheila with a large metal beam slung over his shoulder.

"Get bent Mac." Sheila stated as she snapped out of her observations.

"Yes, ma'am." Mac smirked as he continued on.

It was then when there was a low metallic moaning sound was heard followed by the unmistakable sound of cracking cement and plaster walls. Sheila looked up and her eyes widened as the faint spiderweb of cracks began to appear in the plastered ceiling above her head.

"Oh my...god. EVERYONE....OUT!!! She screamed at the top of her lungs, just as the ceiling gave way around her revealing the huge metal beams over her head...and they were slowly and methodically bending down towards her.

All of her team around her stopped in their tracks, and as one, they all looked at the ceiling over their heads. Eyes widened in both shock and terror, rooting them in their places, with only the shout from Sheila stirring them from their awestruck terror, dropping their equipment, and running towards the corner of the building where a large jagged opening was created during the battle.

Outside Diana was standing across the street from the building taking several pictures with her Daily Planet issued camera, which thankfully the person in charge had perfunctorily showed her how to work, since where she came from, a digital camera was far from the equipment of warriors that she was use to. It was then when all eyes turned to the building across the street, hearing the loud and echoing groan of steel and cracking of its bricked walls. Workers began running and jumping through the gaping hole in the corner, screaming and shouting for everyone to run.

Diana did the opposite and rushed across the street just as the entire building seemed to suddenly buckle and tilt towards the street and the multitudes of workers and emergency personnel scrambled to cover. Just as Diana was leaping onto the sidewalk near the opening there was a deafening rumble within the building as the ceiling inside gave way to the enormous pressure of the weakened floors above. The rush of floors pancaking on themselves within caused a powerful air pressure within that rushed out of every opening on the bottom floor of the building.

Diana shielded her eyes with her arms as the powerful rush of dark brown bellowing debris filled cloud rushed from the opening before her nearly threatening to knock her from her feet and it would have if not for her Amazonian strong legs literally digging into the cement at her feet and rooting her to the spot. She waited several moments preparing for the rest of the building to come crumbling around her, but to her surprise...and most likely everyone else that were making peace with their maker that couldn't get away in time, the building side did not come down.

Slowly...tentatively, Diana lowered her arms, coughing slightly at the dirt, dust and debris that was slowly falling and whirling in the air, Coughing men, some with their arms around others that were bloodied and injured, were slowly walking through the light diffusing dust cloud creating a dark and shadowy surreal scene of those that had somehow survived the collapse of the structure.

"A little help here." Came a almost casual voice in the musty darkness of destruction.

Diana tried to peer through the dimness of area. "Where are you? Are you injured?"

"Just follow my goddamn voice." The obviously female voice stated irritably.

Slowly Diana made her way to, what she thought would be a female that was obviously trapped and in shock, only to find that it was herself that would be awestruck by what she saw.

The debris cloud was slowly dissipating as it was slowly being pushed out by the many outside openings. At first she could see a figure standing, slightly bent forward, coalescing in the returning light. But as she stepped towards the figure she gasped in surprise.

Sheila stood with her hands holding the enormous metal support beam laying across her shoulders...not to mention the huge tonnage of steel and stone of the corner of the building that was collapsed on top of it...the pressure of the weight literally cracking the foundation under her feet. Her arms were bulging as she strained under the weight, the legs of her jeans were split down the front of her equally bulging thighs and calves.

"Oh my gods..." Diana whispered at the display of strength.

"You going to stand there fucking gawking at me, or go get some fucking help?" Sheila asked irritably.

Post by peayitforward »

The big rigs that they brought in, had done the job, giving the woman the time that she needed to get out from underneath everything before she was crushed. Diana watched as the last of the rigs started to pull away. Interesting beasts of metal and magic. Turning back to the woman who was still shrugging off medical help, she walked over. “You’re certain that you do not need any attention from a healer?” Diana asked.

“I’m fine. Didn’t even get scratched.” The woman replied. Then she considered what Diana had said. “A healer?” She asked, incredulous at Diana’s choice of words. “Where are you from?” She asked.

Diana waited a moment, not sure if the woman was serious. Deciding that she was, she chose to answer. “Greece.” She replied after a moment. “Small little town.” She added, hoping that that explanation would be enough to satisfy the woman that she was speaking to. She was still trying to figure out how the woman did not need any assistance from a healer. After all, not everyone was like Diana or Ree. Their own levels of strength and durability may be high, but realistically, how much could they endure?

“Right.” The woman said. “Well, looks like things are pretty backwards in Greece.”

Diana raised an eyebrow. “I’m not certain if that’s the terminology that this requires but I won’t hold it against you.” Looking around, she indicated the camera. “I work for the Daily Planet, in Metropolis. I’m working on a story highlighting the recovery efforts here in Detroit. I was wondering, since you’re clearly not hurt and doing just fine, if I could ask you a few questions.”

Post by Nichalus »

Sheila looked at the woman for a moment, seemingly sizing her up. There was something decidedly odd with her mannerisms and the way that she spoke, but there was also a strength in her words and the way she held herself...something that Sheila appreciated in a woman.

"Sure, I'll even buy you a cup of 'joe'." She nodded her head at the only coffee shop that was still open, and fairly free of damage other than some missing bricks from the front, and one of its employees was picking the last pieces of the large window that had shattered during the event.

Diana looked at Sheila, a quizzical look on her face. "A cup of...Joe?"

"You really aren't from around here are you?" Sheila chuckled. "A cup of ...coffee. Surely Greece has progressed along enough to have coffee there."

Diana smiled with a bit of wryness. "Oh, I see. Yes, we have coffee there. I just have never heard it put that way before."

The two walked through the entrance to the small diner and found a booth that was free of any debris, and sat down. Sheila ordered two cups of coffee from the waitress.

"So. What do you want to know?" Sheila asked. "If you want to know about where I gained my...strength, don't waste your breath. I was orphaned as a baby, and I have no idea who my parents are, or why I was abandoned...though, I can hazard a guess."

"I've known about my ability for a long time, but I've kept it..or tried to..keep it under wraps. Not that it is anyone's fucking business. I've made myself into what I am today through hard work and I don't need anyone to coddle me."

Diana could only nod in appreciation of Railback's attitude, which was almost Amazonian in nature. "So you're obviously what people would call a Super-Hero, you don't have the urge to aid in the fight against injustice?"

Sheila actually laughed hard at Diana's question, it was a laugh that was not so much humor, as she was laughing at Diana's naivety. "Oh my God! Are you fucking kidding me?!" It was then that the waitress walked up and placed their coffee and a carafe of more on the table in front of them. "I'd be no better than this woman here." She gestures at the waitress. "Only instead of at the beck and call of patrons to lazy to cook their own meals, I'd be at the beck and call of those that would cry out to save them, and then bitch and moan about the destruction it would take to do so."

"Take what happened here in Detroit. If Supes hadn't shown up...who by the way is about one of the only few men that I can actually respect...that fucking creature would have leveled the city and killed hundreds of thousands. Granted, alot of people died, but a mere fraction of what it could have been. I hear that there are already groups wanting to pin the blame on the Heroes. Typical 'What have you done for me lately' mentality of the weak."

"So, ask me again about how I should be fighting against injustice. If it was up to me, I would squash all the whimperers and whiners...let them appreciate that." Sheila took a drink of the coffee and smiled wryly. "At least the wimps can make a good cup of coffee."

"Fuck you..." The waitress said and walked away in a huff.

Sheila smiled. "She has promise. She may be a slave to the system, but at least she has a little backbone."

Post by peayitforward »

Diana’s eyes narrowed. The ideals that the woman espoused were decidedly similar to what she had learned on Themyscira. However, the woman had taken that mentality and had gone rather far with it. “I don’t think I rightly understand.” She said.

“Well that seems to be the theme of this conversation.”

“While the people shouldn’t blame Superman for the damage caused by stopping the creature Doomsday, asking for help in rebuilding isn’t pinning the blame on him.” She said. “He has the ability to help, so-“

“So he should have to help?” Sheila asked, scoffing.

“No, I was going to say that it makes sense that people would ask him to help. Since they don’t have the ability to do what he can do.” Diana said. “It’s not being weak, it’s acknowledging that other people have strengths that you don’t.” She said.

Post by peayitforward »

Her trip back to Metropolis had been easy. Diana would have preferred to just fly, she would have gotten back must faster, but she wanted to experience flying, at least the way that the world of men accomplished it. After the experience, she was convinced that it could be improved. Long lines dominated the airport; there were too many people. She also wasn’t a fan of the screening process either. Especially when they had asked her to take her bracelets off. Diana had thought about protesting and doing so in a very loud manner, but she had thought about what Winston had told her when she had first arrived in America.

There was a difference between independence and pride.

Pride was going to get her in trouble, when she was trying to learn more about this world and understand it. Independence meant understanding that some rules needed to be followed in some situations. So she’d taken the bracelets off, temporarily, and the rest of the process had gone off smoothly. Now she was walking into the Pit of the Daily Planet. Her article had been turned in and she had been asked to come to Kerry Randall’s office. The Editor in Chief of the Daily Planet had asked to meet with her. Diana stood outside of the office, and looked inside. A man was seated there, talking to Kerry. Diana recognized him, just from seeing the back of his head.

A frown flitted over her features, and she waited outside of the office, as Isaiah Muir finished his conversation with Kerry. Rising, he turned and their eyes met. The smile that came over his features was quick and nonchalant. “Miss. Aricia.” He said. “It’s a pleasure to see you again.”

“I don’t doubt that.” She replied. “How are you doing?” She asked.

“You two know each other?” Kerry asked. “I thought you’d just heard of her when you made that phone call, Isaiah.” She said, looking at the owner of the newspaper.

“Miss Aricia and I know each other, yes.” Isaiah said. “She interviewed me when she was on the rise as a journalist. It was one of the articles that was in her resume, undoubtedly. I’m probably the most high profile person she’s had the opportunity to interview.” Isaiah said, with a smile.

“Oh yes.” Diana said, her face a mask of no expression. “It should be next to the one talking about human treatment of monkeys in a research facility. They kept throwing fecal matter at the walls instead of showing some vestiges of increased intelligence. I can understand why you could get them confused.” She said, turning to Kerry with the same deadpan expression on her face.

Isaiah laughed. “That’s why I like you.” He said, shaking a finger at Diana. “Anyway, I’ve got to be off. Winston is probably finished cleaning the…fecal matter…off the walls of the mansion.” He said, and walked out of the office, a smile on his face. “Until next time, Miss Aricia.”

Diana turned to Kerry. “You needed to speak to me?” She asked.

Post by peayitforward »

“Yes, I wanted to talk to you about the piece you wrote for the Detroit recovery.” Kerry Randall said. “It was very good, and we put it up on the website almost immediately.” She said, and sat down as Diana did as well.

“That is wonderful. What was the response?” Diana asked with a smile.

“It had a high amount of clicks on the website, and you had one of the highest online debuts for a writer in Daily Planet history.” She said, and Diana’s smile grew. “You have been a great find. I wanted to congratulate you and ask you if there was something that you wanted to write about next?”

Diana’s face changed as she thought about it. “Truthfully, I don’t have an answer for you.” She said. “May I think about it for a day or two?” She asked, rising from the chair, and Kerry nodded. “Thank you, I appreciate that.” She said.

“Also, there’s a holiday party coming up. Attendance isn’t mandatory, but maybe you’d be able to attend? It’s a great way to meet your fellow staffers.”

Diana paused and considered. This was what she wanted, to learn more about the world of Men so she nodded. It would be a good chance to gain knowledge of how these people interacted. “Absolutely.” She said. "I wouldn't miss it if I wanted to."

Post by peayitforward »

She may not have known much about the world of Man, but this could not be what they did when they had a party. This practice of passing around a small shrubbery and attempting to kiss people while it was held above the head was simply barbaric, and Diana had almost broken the arm of one man who had tried that nonsense with her. He had not been the first, and unfortunately, he had not been the last who had tried to do that to her during the course of this so-called holiday party. Alcohol had been in abundance, and Diana was not a drinker, which meant that her ability to enjoy the evening was seriously hindered, according to some of the people who were there. Still, she had managed to have a few good conversations with some of the more levelheaded people there, and some of the others, before the alcohol took a hold of them.

Kerry had been in attendance as well, and Diana had spoken to her the most. She wanted to understand what drove the woman. If there was one thing, one word that could be used to describe Kerry Randall, it was driven. She understood that she was a woman in a position normally held by a man, and that even in journalism, supposedly one of the more progressive places to work, it was still a man’s world. Therefore, she had to be better and she had to consistently show that she was the best person for the job.

Which had brought up a more interesting subject.

Their boss.

There were buffer levels between them and Isaiah Muir, of course, the Daily Planet had a CEO and what not, but then again, Isaiah was the one who came down and visited personally sometimes. When he did, he never stopped to talk to the CEO, he came directly to Kerry and got the update from her. In some respects, the CEO position was a bit redundant, but in some respects, it was necessary.

Isaiah was an interesting topic, and one that Randall had brought up. She’d asked if there was some kind of history there, because it was rare, very rare, for the CEO of the entirety of the Muir/Nevins conglomerate to personally recommend an employee for one of the subsidiaries. Diana had denied having any serious dealings with Isaiah, though the question then had to be raised if Kerry had had any in the past. After all, Isaiah had personally promoted her to the position of Editor-in-Chief, after the eventual passing of Perry White.

Kerry didn’t admit to anything, but she did acknowledge that there was something of a past there between her and Isaiah.

Diana respected the woman’s privacy and hadn’t pushed the issue.

Now, she was waking up, the next day, wondering how much of the food she had eaten the previous night she would have to burn off in the gym. Ree, with some good foresight, had created a personal gym on the same floor as her apartment suite. It was stocked with some of his own equipment, which meant that it would actually do something for her, muscle wise. Forty-five lb. weight plates did very little for Diana, considering how much she could actually lift.

She opened her eyes when she moved her legs and realized that something was on the bed. Diana sat up and then frowned slightly.

Krypto’s tail wagged.

“You don’t think he misses you, when you do this?” She asked.

He got up and walked up to her and snuggled in next to her, his tail making a steady light beat on her covers. Idly, she scratched his head in the spot she knew he liked the most and then turned the television on, to see the news.

Her eyes widened.

Post by peayitforward »

Diana walked into Kerry’s office with a handful of papers.

“Hey, I’ve got a few moments and you said that it was urgent. What can I do for you, Diana?” Kerry asked, bent over her desk slightly as she grabbed folders and looked for her phone that had, yet again, gotten away from her. She held a hand out and Diana handed her the papers. “What…what is this?” She asked, her eyes scanning the contents quickly.

“It’s our coverage of what’s happening in Moravnia.” Diana said. “Or it would be, if we weren’t covering other topics that don’t involve wanton murder.” She said. “The civil war in the country has barely been a blip on the radar of most major news outlets and now it started a descent into genocide.” Diana said. “Women and children are being slaughtered wholesale. Villages are being wiped out. The death toll on one side is-“

“I understand what’s happening there. Politico has done some good coverage. I’m not sure what you’re asking me.” Kerry said, straightening and handing the papers back to Diana. “Do you want to cover it?” She asked. “No one from the Daily Planet has been willing to go there, it’s a big warzone. We don’t have reporters like Kent and Lane anymore, willing to risk their necks for stories.”

Diana nodded. This was the exact reason why she had insisted that she meet with Kerry this early. She had already booked her ticket to fly to Moravnia and now she had the go ahead.

“Okay, go for it.” Kerry said and Diana smiled and turned to walk out of the office. “But be careful.” Kerry added, causing Diana to pause and turn back around. “It is a warzone. It’s very dangerous. I know you’ve been on some dangerous assignments in the past; they’re on your resume. But like you said, this is genocide. We just got you here. It’d be a shame to lose you for any reason.”

“I understand.” Diana said with another smile. “I appreciate your concern, Kerry, but I’ll be alright.” She said and walked out of the room, and headed towards the Pit. If she remembered the way that things worked around here, she had a few requisition forms to fill out. Everything that she’d done in Detroit had been with a Daily Planet camera, and she’d turned that one in when she’d gotten back.

---

“I need you to go home.” She said.

Krypto covered his face with his paws.

“Krypto, you can’t stay here. I’m not going to be here to feed you.” She said, and he responded by jumping on her bed and burrowing his head under her covers. But just his head, so the rest of him was comically sticking out from underneath. “Are you going to make me call him?” She asked, and there was a muffled bark. “Okay, then, I’m calling him.” She said, and walked over to the monitor to press the blue button.

Krypto appeared next to her, sitting ramrod straight and doing his best innocent expression. His eyes flitted between her face and the button.

“You’re a devil.” She said with a laugh, and pressed the button.

It took only a moment.

“Princess.” Ree said, from the Fortress. “How are you?” He asked. “I hope you’re adjusting well to Metropolis.”

“I am.” She said. “But unfortunately, I have to leave for a few days for a story for the Daily Planet, and Krypto refuses to leave.” She said, placing a hand on the dog’s head and scratching.

“Ah yes. I can…stop by and pick him up.” Superman said, his eyes looking down to where Krypto was sitting, looking like he had done nothing wrong.

That was strange, since Krypto could fly. She looked down at the dog and then back up at Ree. “Couldn’t you just ask him to come home?” She asked.

“Yes, I could do that too.” Ree said and looked at Krypto. Ree knew his dog and knew how to get Krypto’s attention. It was simply a matter of appealing to what he knew Krypto couldn’t resist. “Come on, buddy, I’ve got some fresh cut Tamaran steaks.” He said.

Krypto was clearly torn between his stomach and Diana. But his stomach won and after jumping up on Diana, and licking her face, he turned and left, with a huge gust of wind that moved Diana’s hair.

“Where are you headed, Princess, if you don’t mind me asking?” Ree asked.

“Moravnia.” She said. “I’m going to be working a story on the civil war that’s happening there and the reports of genocide that we’ve been getting.”

“I’ve heard about what’s happening there.” He said. “You should be careful, it will be dangerous.”

It was one thing for Kerry to say it, because Kerry didn’t know any better. But for Ree to say it was something else. She held up her hands, and he could see the silver bracelets on her wrists. “I’m sure I can take care of myself, Ree’Van.” She said.

“I’ve met few people as capable as you, Princess, of that be assured.” He said.

“I’m appalled by the atrocities that are being committed in that country. Some in the name of religion, others in the name of greed, but most in the name of pure vindictiveness.” Diana said. “It is shocking to see how the world of Men would settle their differences.” She added.

“One day, you should visit the United Nations' chambers or that of any true peaceful organization around the world, and you’ll see that we do try to use other ways. The more violent ones are the ones that are broadcasted the most unfortunately.” Ree replied.

“I should finish getting ready. I will talk to you at a later time, Ree.” She said, and they ended the call.

Post by peayitforward »

Diana reached into her backpack and took out the sunglasses that she had purchased in the airport. Sliding them onto her face, she no longer had to squint against the sun. Morvania’s main airport was also a seaport, right on the Mediterranean. It had a unique charm to it that belied the fighting and the civil war that had been tearing the country apart for the better part of a decade. On the outside, everything was good, everything was right. But once you scratched at the layers, then you’d be able to see the truth of what was going on. Diana was determined to get to that truth and show what was happening, along with solutions to the problems.

Nothing was going to get in her way.

Customs and immigration took a long look at her that was for sure. Diana understood that according to the definitions of the world of Men, she had a very desirable body. But that wasn’t why they were looking at her with such scrutiny. No, it was because she was a foreigner, and an American at that, according to her passport. Her papers clearly stated that she was a journalist. Diana had no misgivings about her actions. She would always represent herself honestly and upfront. Telling them that she was a reporter was not an issue to her, because she would still find a way to accomplish what it was that she had come here to do.

From the airport, she had gotten a taxi to her hotel. The hotel itself wasn’t the greatest in the world, but if anything, it didn’t stand a chance in comparison to her apartment in Metropolis. Once she was checked into her room, Diana went to the front desk to ask about getting a guide for a few days. Through them, Diana had reached out to one of the locals who knew the country very well. The man’s rates were acceptable and she was waiting for him now in the front of the hotel. There was no time like the present for her to start all of this.

Her guide arrived in a vehicle that looked more befitting of a jungle than this area, but she deferred to his knowledge of the area, which was what she was paying him for. He stepped out, and extended a hand.

“Hello, my name is Nasha Kasun.” He said. “You are Diana Aricia?” He asked, and she nodded. “Good, that’s good. Let’s get started.” He added and opened one of the doors for her.

She got in and they were soon driving. “I want to learn about what’s happening here, what is going on with the civil war.” Diana said. “I’m going to write an article about it for my newspaper.”

“Yes, I understand.” Nasha said. “I don’t know how much information you’re really going to get. The people of Morvania are very private, and they’re not very inclined to talk to people from outside of the country, especially reporters. Especially reporters.” He said, repeating the last part. “I can show you things, take you places, but I don’t know how many people you’ll get to talk to you.” He said.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get them to talk.” Diana said.

Post by peayitforward »

“So why do you come here, to my country?” Her guide asked, a smirk on his face. “Do you really care about making change here, in Morvania?”

Diana nodded, looking out of the window as they drove. “No one should be forced to live a life of servitude to another. Clearly your leaders have forgotten the rights given to your people by the Gods.” She said.

“Gods?” Nasha asked, chuckling. “What gods? There are no gods here. Only hungry children missing limbs.” He said. “The Americans don’t help things, either. Journalists like yourself have accused the American government of giving weapons to the regime in power. How can the common man try to stand up for himself when he fights with pistols and rocks, and their foes shoot automatic machine guns?” He asked.

Diana nodded. “I’ve read some of those pieces. Those journalists didn’t stay too long in Morvania. Do you know what happened?” She asked, as they turned off the main road on to a dirt road that looked like it was going up the nearby mountain. She turned and looked at Nasha, in order to get his reaction.

He shook his head, a sad look coming over his face. “The journalists were questioned by the Americans and by the regime. Some were forced to leave. Others were made to write more…favorable reports. All of their sources were killed.” He said, and then spared a glance over at Diana. “You can understand why the people don’t wish to talk to reporters anymore.”

Diana fell silent and they continued their drive that way as they took a winding road through the mountainside. She had to say that the country itself was beautiful. The mountain range was densely wooded and in the winter, it had to be a sight to behold. Unfortunately, she could also see the remnants of war and struggle. Certain parts of the forest had been flattened and decimated, no doubt from artillery. If anything it strengthened her resolve that she would do what she could to help the people of Morvania.

Ree’s words came back to her, the ones he’d said before she’d left.

He wasn’t wrong, but he was far from relating the full picture. This world was very damaged and more in places like this than others. The United Nations could say and do what they wanted, but as long as there weren’t peacekeepers here, the problems would persist. It was clear that the Morvanian government was not equipped to properly govern or decide the future of the country, but they were holding on to that power, that right, through unholy ways.

“So where are we going first?” She asked.

“To see a man who is still willing to talk to reporters.” Nasha said. “One of the leaders of the rebels.” He said.

“How do you know he’ll be willing to speak with me?”

“He’s my step brother, Mudrac Kasun.”
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

They had just been ravaged by another attack from governmental forces. On the retreat, they were convalescing in one of their encampments, one that the military had yet to reach. Various rebel fighting groups were coming together and they were talking about banding together, to finally face the government with a united front. So far there were so many splinter groups, that they couldn't properly get something done, because their logistics were so far out of wack that presenting an organized force was impossible. The government's job was too easy in all of this, especially when they had superior training, equipment, and more importantly, biological and radiological weapons to deploy against those who would fight against their oppression.

Mudrac Kasun was sitting in front of a small campfire, looking into the fire. There was a pot of stew that was set up, and someone was slowly stirring it. But though he was watching her activities, his mind was definitely not paying attention to what he saw in front of him. Rather he was thinking about the losses that they had recently taken and the chemicals that had been sprayed on his soldiers. It was a travesty. Besides the burns that his soldiers had experienced, he had no concrete proof of what was going on. More than that, he had no way to treat his soldiers. So far the United Nations wasn’t willing to step in and try to do something.

There was no promise of aid from the Americans. Nothing, as far as he knew. They were probably just watching and betting on both sides, hedging everything. That was how America worked. In the meantime, his people were dying.

Digging into his track suit jacket, he pulled out a crumpled pack of cigarettes. Drawing one out, he lit it and inhaled. Blowing the smoke out, he turned and looked, seeing a familiar vehicle in the distance. His stepbrother. Nasha was someone who was sympathetic to the cause but he had a family and could not risk their safety. It was something that Mudrac could understand, even if he didn’t agree with it.

The common phrase was that the rich sent the poor to fight but the real truth of the matter was that everyone was willing to sacrifice the orphans, those without family, those without anything to lose. They made the best soldiers, the best fighters. After all, what did they have to lose? Nothing, but they had everything to gain. The only problem was that these were often people who were not well adjusted to a proper society. Once they got a taste of power, a taste of belonging, they refused to give it up, and another war had to be started to oust the next one in a long line of abusers.

Mudrac shook his head as he was offered a cup filled with stew, indicating one of his younger soldiers with a nod of his head. He continued to smoke, as the vehicle drove through the gates of the camp and towards him. There was someone with his brother, and there was definitely nothing in the woman’s appearance that indicated that she should be in a place such as this. For starters, she looked as if she had had a shower in the past week. The majority of the rebels in the camp couldn’t claim that. Her clothes were clean, relatively new, without patches. There were people in the camp who were barefoot, with calluses on their feet from where they had scrambled over rock and stone in order to get into position to take potshots on a Morvanian government patrol.

Beauty she had, maybe she was the most beautiful woman that Mudrac had ever seen in his life. But that was something that the rebels had that trumped her. She had physical beauty. They held the beauty of Morvania in their eyes every day, and that was something that beat the physical attributes of any woman in the world.

The car stopped near him, and the two people got out. Mudrac’s mouth thinned further when he saw that she had a camera with her.

A reporter.

The glare that he gave his step brother was enough to wither a flower. It was clear that Mudrac was not pleased with this development, not at all.

“What are you doing, bringing a reporter into this camp?” He asked Nasha, when his brother stepped up to him.

“Hello to you, too.” Nasha said, with a shake of his head. “She works for the Daily Planet. The Daily Planet.” He said, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb. “This is what you want, isn’t it? For the outside world to get a better idea of what our people are going through?” He asked.

“Yes, but I don’t want any outsiders here.” Mudrac replied. “This is one of the strongest redoubts we have for a reason, because the government hasn’t found it.” He said, gesturing around the camp that might have been no larger than a football field. “Why would you endanger everything that we’ve built?” He asked.

“Because enduring this genocide requires it.” Diana said, finally speaking from where she stood, standing near the Jeep like vehicle.

“I don’t know who you are, woman, but believe me when I say that you know nothing of genocide. There are people being killed because of the minuscule differences in ethnicity. This is ethnic cleansing. There are systematic mass rapes. What do you know of that in your ivory perfect castle?” He asked, spitting on the ground.

Diana watched as the smoke curled upwards from the cigarette between his fingers. Lifting her hands up, she took off her sunglasses. “You’re right.” She said. “There is much here that I do not know, nor understand. That’s why I’m here, to learn about it. You have a choice whether you’re going to talk to me about it or not. But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to leave.” She added. “Whether I talk to you or someone else, I’m going to find the story and I’m going to talk about it.” She said.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Mudrac watched as she walked away and then he turned to his step brother. “This is the type of reporter you bring to me?” He asked, with annoyance on his face. “Nasha, what were you thinking?” He asked.

“I was thinking that there was only so much that I can do to help our fight for freedom, brother. I can not risk the lives of my children. This was my way of trying to help us stop the violence and start the process of rebuilding, of healing the country.” He said. “Surely, you can understand that.” He said.

His step brother nodded. “I can understand it, even if I don’t agree with the end result.” He said with a smile. “I don’t mind if she takes photographs and interviews, but you have to watch her.” Mudrac said, leveling a finger at his step brother. “She can’t leave her with any information that might be traceable back. We can’t have the government knowing where this base is.” He said and Nasha nodded. “Alright, I have to get to a briefing.” He said and started walking, pausing when he saw Diana taking a picture of a tented building. “Oh and Nasha,” He said, looking back over his shoulder. “Don’t watch her too hard. You are a married man.” He said, with a laugh as he continued walking.

As he walked through the small camp, many of the soldiers and freedom fighters looked at him, greeting him and wanting to talk to him. He stopped and spoke with each one who did, knowing that it would probably make him late for the briefing. But it didn’t bother him. Mudrac cared more about the common man who fought for his freedom. They would win the war, if they kept the spirits of the men and women who struggled everyday as high as they could.

It was what was important. The people gave you the power, and Mudrac was a very popular man amongst the ranks of the freedom fighters. Many of them wished to join his special operations unit, but there were only so many that he could accept in to his cadre of warriors.

He finally stepped into the command tent some twenty minutes later. The meeting was already underway, and the ebb and flow of conversation in the tent died as he walked inside.

“I apologize for my tardiness.” He said. “There were matters that I needed to attend to.” Mudrac said.

“We’re trying to plan a war.” One of the leaders said. “Thank you for finally gracing us with your presence.”

“As the Americans say, ‘no plan survives contact with the enemy’.” Mudrac replied.

“So we make no plans?” Another asked. “That is Mudrac Kasun’s strategy?”

“I didn’t say that. I’m only pointing out that your strategy must be able to be adaptable.” Mudrac said, looking at the grimy and slightly worn map in front of them all on the table. He could see what they were planning already. Parts of the strategy would work, but other parts wouldn’t. “We’re striking at a government facility.” He said. “Intelligence currently says that it’s not that well guarded. Our plan is good, but the escape plan is not.” He added, pointing at a nearby location. “This is a response area.” Mudrac said. “They will be activated and we need to have a better plan to escape.” He said.

His tactical planning abilities were respected, if anything. He had been able to plan the best hit and run attacks that the rebels had mounted against the government, bar none. The higher ups in the rebels knew that and they had to acknowledge it. They started looking at the map a bit more closely and Mudrac knew that he had saved men’s lives by pointing out what they had missed. Which is what was important to him, at the end of the day.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Diana was none too thrilled with the response that she had gotten thus far, but she hadn’t said those words to Mudrac for the sake of it. She was going to figure out what was going on her and she was going to write the story. Mudrac had said that he was going in for a briefing, but she wasn’t finished speaking to him. Leaning against the car, she looked around at the encampment. There were many people there, and they went about their work, though many of them spared her a glance from time to time. She thought nothing of it, knowing that curiosity was a thing that all Men had. Icarus came to mind, one of the many tales of history that her mother had taught her when she had been growing up on Themyscira. Curiosity needed to be tempered, that was what Hippolyta had always said.

Maybe her mother had been right. Curiosity, with haste, was after all one of the reasons why she was no longer welcome on her home island of Themsycira. It was also one of the reasons why she was here, this day, trying to find out more about what was happening in Moravnia. Her eyes looked through the tint of her sunglasses as Mudrac emerged from the tent. He didn’t appear to have a look of happiness on his face, but so far all she had seen from the man was a look of displeasure.

Nasha, who had been waiting in the car, got out and walked towards his stepbrother, and Diana followed.

“What’s the word?” He asked, and Mudrac first gave a pointed look at Diana. “Oh, she’s a reporter, she’s going to find a way to find out.”

“We strike. Tonight.” Mudrac said, managing to sound definitive and tired at the same time. She wondered if he knew what his body language conveyed on his thoughts regarding the action he spoke about. “We’re going into a lightly guarded base, but the problem is that there’s a response force close by. They will move faster than we can, and the higher ups do not have a plan in place that is proper to save the lives of the men we take with us.” He said.

“The Americans?” Nasha asked.

“Can’t be counted on. I fear their promises are more empty than our country’s future should we do nothing.” Mudrac replied.

Diana raised an eyebrow. This was a recurring theme. Apparently the American government had some stake in what happened in Moravnia. Nasha had already said something about how there were rumors that the American government had been helping both sides. It looked like Nasha didn’t trust the foreigners from distant lands to help the people in their quest for self-determination.

“What promises have there been?” She asked.

“The usual promises of arms and advisors. The arms have come yes, but the trickle is nothing compared to the support that they give to the regime in place.” Nasha said.

“Do you have proof that the Americans are supporting the current government?” She asked.

“What good would proof do?” Mudrac asked. “It’s not like you can go to your embassy here and complain about it. What would your people do, if they read about it in the papers? Complain to their elected representatives? What good does that do us here, dying in the filth? Nothing. We are on our own, woman, but I’d rather be the one with my life in my hands than be some fat waste of space on his couch watching the world unfold around him on a rectangular television screen.”

“You have an interesting view of the way things work in America.” Diana replied. But it was probably a better view than she had. She had only been living there for a short period of time, and even then, in an apartment given to her by Ree and working a job given to her by Isaiah. It wasn’t as if she was that well-tuned in to what was happening in the country. “I’d like to go with you on this strike.” She said.

Mudrac cursed under his breath. He stopped and took a look at her. “You’re not going to take no for an answer, are you?” He asked and when she smiled, he grimaced. “Fine, you can come along. But if anything happens to you, it’s not on me. Nasha, find her a flak jacket.”

Post by peayitforward »

“You must excuse my brother’s words. He’s not exactly the politest of people.” Nasha said as he guided Diana towards one of the tents that made up the camp. “He is in a tough position.” He added.

“I can tell.” She said, dryly. “He’s not really the most trusting either, is he?” She asked.

“Not really.” Nasha admitted. “But you have to understand the position he’s in.” He repeated.

Diana looked around the insides of the tent. There was plenty of military equipment, but most of it didn’t look like it was in good repair. She could make out a few logos and names, but nothing that she knew off the top of her head. “Is this the equipment that the Americans gave you?” She asked, and Nasha shook his head. “So where did this come from?” She asked.

“A third party supplier. I do not know who it is and I don’t think my brother knows either.” Nasha said, rummaging through one of the bins. “It was a deal made by one of the resistance’s leaders and we started receiving the shipments not too long ago. It’s not much, but it’s better than what we had before and stretching what little trickle of assistance the Americans have given us has been difficult.” He said, pulling out a flak jacket and handing it to Diana. “Try this on.”

She looked at the jacket and smiled to herself. It was funny that this Man was giving her something she did not need to protect herself. Even if she hadn’t been blessed by the Gods with incredible durability and healing, she had her bracelets. Diana put the jacket on and adjusted it, so that it covered her upper half. Looking back around over the logos and companies whose products were represented here, she was glad to see that there was no Wayne logo anywhere. While this was a combination of different companies’ products, she would have had to question Isaiah about what was happening with his company’s work, especially since she worked for that same company.

“Alright.” Diana said, checking her camera. “Let’s do this.”

Post by peayitforward »

Diana watched as the fight happened in front of her.  The government base was built into the side of a mountain that was part of a mountain range.  It looked like it had limited helicopter access, and that most of the way in and out was through a few roads.  She was torn between helping the soldiers and doing nothing.  It was difficult to do nothing but she wasn’t sure if she was in a position to help them.  All she knew was that these men and women were fighting for what they believed in and were fighting against a form of oppression that needed to end.  

But her responsibilities to Isaiah were also present in her mind.  Diana was fairly certain that her employer would not be pleased if she dropped her cover as a journalist and went and helped the resistance.  So she had remained behind, behind the main force that was attacking the target.  Her camera, with its high powered lens and long range would have to be her weapon as Diana documented what she saw in front of her.  

The fighting had already started, and she could hear the gunshots, thanks to Amazonian hearing enhanced beyond normal human levels by the Gods.  The explosions, those were far easier for her to hear.  Raising the camera to her eyes, Diana took a picture, zoomed in.  She wasn’t sure what the target was, but from what she had picked up it was some kind of government facility.  There had to be something here that made it a high value target, otherwise Mudrac and his men would not be here, they would be where the more valuable target was.  Diana knew that much when it came to war.  Being raised by Hippolyta and the Amazons had taught her much in the way of strategy and she saw that the attack had been smart.  Mudrac and his men had first attacked the roadways, isolating the ways in and out of the facility.  Now they were attempting to seize it outright.  

As far as she could see there were no issue with the plan.  Then again, she had not seen any of the information that Mudrac had seen, so she had no way of knowing what the variables out there were.  She rose, from her crouched position up on the mountainside.  Her eyesight was even stronger than the ability of the camera to zoom in.  Diana watched as Mudrac approached a large building that was built into the mountainside.  There was no way of telling how far into the mountain this building had been hewn.  

She watched as he entered the building.

Suddenly a rise in gunfire drew her attention to her left.  

One of the access points was under attack by a counter attack.  Diana’s camera dropped down around her neck, the strap tightening around the back of her neck.  Looking over to where Mudrac had disappeared, she saw that the guerrilla resistance fighter had not reappeared.  The government forces that had arrived were woefully outclassing the resistance fighters.  This was not going to end well.  Her fists tightened.  Now was the moment, where she had to make the choice, something she had hoped she would not have to do.   Unfortunately there was no alternative.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Mudrac squeezed the trigger of his assault rifle, sending a round into the body of an oncoming soldier. The man crumpled to the ground and Mudrac stepped over the dead body of his fellow countryman. It was a waste, all of this. They were killing their own people to try to save them from a government that didn't treat them with respect and decency. But this was going to be a great stride in the direction of freedom, and Mudrac knew that this battle could be influential. He needed to ensure that they were in and out without using up too much time. Time was a valuable thing for a commander on the battlefield, and he had to use his time the best he could. The raid’s purpose was to take out this base in its entirety. While it was lightly guarded, it was a key point for the government’s forces resupply lines. If they could strike here and disable or destroy the base, they would have caused a great deal of interruption to supply lines, something the rebels could definitely afford.

He and his men were inside the hallways, planting charges as they went. The explosives had been expensive, but they would be worth it if all went according to plan. As he came around a corner, he saw the hallway he was in had a few large steel doors. The doors themselves looked like vault doors, with spinning axles as the means of opening them. He could only wonder what was behind the doors. Maybe it was materiel that he and his men could use. They would have to find a way to get passed the doors. His men were already going through whatever was of use, both physical materiel and intelligence. They had to stay as many steps ahead of their enemies if they had any hopes of defeating them.

In the middle of the hallway though, was a government soldier, who was on his knees with his hands on his head, one of Mudrac’s men standing behind the man, a pistol to the back of the head of the one kneeling.

“What?” Mudrac asked, as he walked up to the pair.

“Tell him what you told me.”

“You can’t blow the base up.” The soldier said.

“I can do what I want with this base.” Mudrac replied. “You’ve lost control of it.”

“That is true,” The soldier said nodding, “but if you blow it up, you will doom all of Morvania.” He said, and Mudrac’s eyes narrowed.

He gestured that the man should go on.

“Three weeks ago, we took control of shipment. Shipment had many barrels of…explosive material.” The soldier said, indicating the doors of the hallway with nods of his head. “If you blow the base, then this material will detonate as well.” He said. “I heard the radio before your man got me. The counterattack already started.” The soldier added and left it at that. He knew who he was talking to.

Mudrac closed his eyes for a moment. “Show me this explosive material.” He said.

His soldier dragged the government soldier up to his feet and shoved him towards the first door. The soldier pulled out a keycard and inserted it into one of the doors. Then he reached out and spun the handle, unlocking it. The heavy metal creaked open and Mudrac didn’t wait for it to fully open, stepping through. There was darkness and he reached for his flashlight, as one of his men felt along the wall, until he found a switch and threw it.

The room was bathed in bright fluorescent light that flickered.

But that did nothing to take away from what was in front of Mudrac, whose eyes widened.

Post by peayitforward »

Diana leapt into the air, twisting as she moved. Gracefully, she landed on the ground next to a jeep that had a group of soldiers in it. One of them was behind a big machine gun, and he was firing indiscriminately. His aim was quite poor, to her eye. She slammed into the side of the jeep, shoulder checking it. It would have been comical had anyone else done it. But she was not anyone. Putting a dent in the vehicle, she watched as it overturned and fell onto its side, spilling the soldiers onto the ground. As they scrambled, she came around the side, bullets whizzing all around her.

She had been unable to stay up where she had been watching the fight unfold. Mudrac seemed like a capable commander. Not as good as those she had known back on Themyscira, but he was passable. But she could not see him, and she did not know when he was going to return to the outside. If he would return at all. While she couldn’t fully comprehend what the two sides of this conflict were disagreeing on, she could understand the fight the rebels were putting up.

Genocide, regardless of the reason why, was always wrong. That was what had caused her to come to this country in the first place, watching that news report. Diana came around the side as one of the soldiers got to his feet and lashed out with the butt of his rifle. Her head turned with the blow, but it caused no damage. How could it against a daughter of Zeus? She turned back, her eyes narrowing. The look on the man’s face told the whole story. He could not believe his eyes.

She lashed out, her fist connecting with his stomach. He doubled over in pain, his eyes from wide becoming slits as he grimaced. She shoved him, roughly, to the ground, as his fellow soldiers got up, taking stock of the woman before them.

“She’s a woman. A journalist.” One of them said, and she looked at him.

One of the others lifted his rifle and fired.

Diana saw the bullet coming towards her. Slower than it would have appeared to a normal Man’s eye. A blessing of Athena. Her movements were faster than the bullet, her hand moving up.

The sunlight glinted off the bracelet, and there was a spark and an audible ting sound, as the bullet bounced off the bracelet, deflected away from her.

“What the hell is going….” One of the other soldiers said, and they started to fire at her.

Her movements were quick and precise. None of the bullets hit her.

But all of her blows in the next few moments reached their mark.

The soldiers lay on the ground, unconscious. The fight continued on around her, as she turned back towards the entrance to the bunker.

Where was Mudrac? His men were getting slaughtered.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

He stared at the barrels. There weren’t many of them, but he knew that there were enough to wreak havoc and destruction on the countryside if they detonated. He saw the logo that was on the barrels, the indicator of the danger contained within. Running a hand through his hair and then over his stubble, Mudrac considered his options. It didn’t take him long to realize that the options themselves were quite limited. The options just weren’t there for him to be able to find a solution for the problem he faced now.

Mudrac wasn't sure what to do. What was he to do? He had come to this place to destroy it. By destroying it, he would have dealt a strong blow to the government forces he fought against. He had risked the lives of hi men, precious lives, in order to accomplish this goal. His men were dying outside, he could hear the reports over the radio. But now, here he was, ready and willing to do what needed to be done. If he did, however, he would doom his people to more suffering. Such was the dilemma of a fighter, a soldier, sometimes. This was catastrophic damage, however. How could he do that? Mudrac stared at the barrels of radioactive material. His eyes shifted as he spied one of his soldiers approaching from the corner of his vision.

“We need to move.” The soldier said and Mudrac nodded.

Stepping out of the room and back to where the government soldier was, still on his knees. “What was the plan for all of this?” He asked, gesturing behind him. “I won’t ask twice.”

“I don’t know.” The man replied. “I don’t, I swear,” he added, his voice rising in pitch and volume as he flinched away from Mudrac’s raised hand. “It came from elsewhere.” He said.

“Who gave it to you?” Mudrac asked.

The soldier fell silent, knowing that his words earlier had resonated with Mudrac, they had found purchase. He had a good feeling the other man would not blow up the base. That meant he would have to give it back to the government. Mudrac would have had to move fast in order to take the place which didn’t leave him able to hold it against a strong counterattack.

The soldier knew how many men the government had at the base close by.

Mudrac pulled out his sidearm, a CV-75 pistol, and aimed it at the man’s head. “I want a name.”

“Kozlov.” The soldier said. “Yuri Kozlov. I overheard the name when we made the pickup.”

Mudrac turned to his soldiers and gave the order. “Evacuate. We need to get out of here.”

“What about all of this?” One of the rebel soldiers asked, looking back at the barrels of radioactive material.

“It’s a fight for another day.” Mudrac said. “We can not stop this. Not now. Not yet.”

Post by peayitforward »

Diana watched as Mudrac approached her. The group had left the area very shortly after the government forces had arrived. The mission had been a hit and run, to destroy the government base, but that was not what had happened. They had hit the base, definitely, but apparently something had changed. Mudrac had been quiet throughout the ride back to the rebel’s base. But now, here he was, coming towards her.

“I heard an interesting story from some of my men.” He said, without preamble.

Diana merely raised an eyebrow, remaining silent.

He waited, to see if she would volunteer anything. When she didn’t, he shrugged. “Would that I had the truth of the matter, I would be very pleased.” He said. “You are not just a journalist, no. You are something else.” He added.

“What I am, I am. I have questions of my own.” Diana replied.

Mudrac reached a hand up to his head, scratching at his temple as he looked down at the ground and smiled. “We both have questions, it would seem. I at least have the decency to answer yours.” He said. “I know what they are.” Mudrac raised a hand to ward off her initial surprise that he knew what she wanted to know. “You want to know why we didn’t destroy the base, when it was evident we were going to.”

“Yes.” Diana said. It was good that he was straight to the point. She appreciated that about him, even if he was brusque in how he did it.

“We found something there, in the base. Something that the government shouldn’t have. But I need to know more about it. I need to know how they got it because it puts everyone in danger.”

Her brow furrowed. “What is it?” She asked.

He paused. “I…I don’t know if I can trust you yet.” Mudrac replied and she nodded.

It was a fair point for him to make. She was a reporter and she was fresh on the ground. There was only so much that he could tell her. She was still a little amazed that he had let her come along in the first place.

“I understand that.” Diana replied. “So you’re going to go look for your answers?” She asked and he nodded. “I think I’ll look for answers to some questions I have as well.”

Mudrac smiled. “You really don’t take no for an answer, do you?” He asked and Diana smiled, shaking her head. He held up his hands in a look of surrender. “If you find anything out, you’d let me know right?”

Diana’s smile widened. “Depends.” She said and started to walk away.

“On what?” He asked.

“If I trust you.” She said, over her shoulder.

Post by peayitforward »

Diana opened the curtains of her hotel room to let the sunlight in. She had gotten back to her hotel room and from there had started making a few calls in order to get the access she needed. It had taken some doing, and she had been forced to reach out to Kerry back at the Daily Planet. Kerry had helped point her in the right direction and had given her the contact information of someone high up enough in the American embassy who would also take her call. But even there, she had faced roadblock after roadblock. People didn't want to speak with her; especially once they found out she was a journalist. It seemed as though everyone in the country had some sort of secret that they would do anything to hide and keep safe.

Everyone was scheming.

With so much upheaval going on, Diana could understand that. She had studied the ancient texts on war, and she knew that when there was uncertainty that was the time to strike. These machinations didn't really interest her. Men were going to be Men. They were stupid and often foolish in their pursuit of power. What interested her was what was happening to the people on the sidelines. She had spoken to Mudrac and Nasha. Now she was going to speak with someone from the other side and see what they had to say for themselves. A journalist was a good cover for her. Diana appreciated that Isaiah had thought of it for her.

At the same time, it was making her intentions difficult to accomplish. So she had finally realized that there was a way to solve her problems and one that was quite easy, at the end of the day. She'd called Isaiah. Where a high level American diplomat from the embassy had failed, someone in the top 10 list of the world's wealthiest people had not. It hadn't taken him long to find the right person to speak to, and the right person to lean on. Diana still couldn't fully figure him out. She knew that Ree and Batman had asked him to help her, but why he was continuing to do so escaped her.

His sarcasm was something she could do without though.

She did appreciate that he had barely asked any questions of her regarding why she needed the help or what she was doing in Morvania to begin with. Whereas Ree had expressed care and concern, Isaiah had shown a sense of confidence. The two men were nothing alike, but it was interesting to compare and contrast their responses. Diana held a hairbrush in her hand and moved it through her long black and brown locks.

It didn't take her long to get dressed. The meeting was in a restaurant nearby and she wanted to get there early. Diana was walking out of the building when her cell phone buzzed. She took out the phone to see that there was a text message from Isaiah.

Ask him about Calypso.

Her brow furrowed as she walked through the streets of Morvania's capital. Just what was Calypso? How did Isaiah know about whatever it was?

She was going to get to the bottom of this situation. While she could disagree with the tactics that Mudrac might have been using, she could empathize with why he thought them necessary.

When she got to the restaurant, Diana realized something was off. Her eyes took in the interior of the place. It looked like any simple restaurant should. It was plain wrong that the government official was already there and was waiting for her. Especially when she herself was almost half an hour early.

“Athena, guide me.” Diana whispered under her breath before walking towards the table.

Post by peayitforward »

She was being stonewalled and it was starting to be annoying. Diana could tell when she was being handled and from all appearances, the man in front of her was doing his best to avoid talking about what she had come to talk to him about. The man was an official within the American embassy and he had told her that things would need to be talked about off the record. Diana could appreciate that, in a world where people were moving in the shadows and manipulating things. She could understand it when the Americans were supposed to be helping.

But it didn't appear that way, not right now.

She was trying to ask the man about the support the American government was giving to the Morvanian government but the answers she was being offered in response left much to be desired. Diana knew her personality could lend itself to being easily annoyed and if there was one thing that could set her off it was idle chit chat around the issue instead of discussing the actual issue. How did anything get done in the world of Men? It was so tiresome. It seemed as though she was going to have to do something to get the ball rolling in the direction she wanted it to.

If this man was obfuscating because, as Mudrac had said, the Americans were truly helping the regime in place control the people, she found that hard to reconcile with the image that Ree portrayed of the United States, being a land of opportunity, democracy, and freedom. How could they preach freedom at home when they oppressed others or aided in the oppressing around the world?

"We need to discuss the matter at hand." She said.

"I agree. The problem is that there are so many factors that surround the issue at hand. This rebellion, it's a tragedy. The suffering of the people, also a tragedy." The blond man replied. "I can understand the position that you're in." He said. "You're here, in this foreign country, trying to uncover the story, the truth. The truth can be hard to see."

"Is the American government supporting the current regime in power?" She asked. "It's a simple question, and the answer is one syllable, either in the affirmative or the negative. I don't see the difficulty."

He smiled. "The difficulty exists, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Everyone thinks it's simple, I agree. But truth is that it isn't. There are American interests at play here and we need to watch over them. Those interests protect the American people."

"Does that require supporting the current government?" She asked.

"It may. It may require us to do nothing and see what happens."

Her eyes flashed. "Meanwhile, people suffer."

"People suffer around the world, every day. We can't help everyone, we have to choose our battles."

She nodded. That she could understand. "That only brings us back to the question of whether this is one of those battles."

He laughed. "You are a tricky one, aren't you, Miss Aricia?" He asked.

"I have been called troublesome in the past." She said and sat back in her chair. Maybe a different direction would be worth it. "I have sources that gave me some information I'd like to run past you and see what you say."

"I'll do my best." He said.

"What does Calypso mean?" She asked.

The man's face changed slightly. Almost impercetibly. But Diana was one who had been taught the intricacies of body language. It wasn't missed on her. "Calypso?" He asked and she nodded, giving him a look that he should continue. "Calypso, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, is a project of the United States government concerning the protection of our embassies." He said. "It's a system by which we move supplies and personnel through the world." He said.

He was lying. She couldn't be sure, of course, but her gut told her that he was lying.

"Well, this has been an illuminating experience." She said, rising from the table. "If we're going to dance around the issues, then I'm not sure what help you're going to be." She said with a smile.

"As long as we're dancing." He replied. "Uh, you got my name for the article, right?" He asked and she looked down at her notes. "David Treabhar." He said. "Last name can be a little difficult to pronounce, I know. It's the older version of Trevor."