Weapon X: Evolution

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Weapon X: Evolution

Post by peayitforward »

There was a frown on the man’s features as he sat behind the desk. The office wasn’t big, nor was it fancy, but it was what the man wanted and needed. His name was Noah Hirsch and he was the new man in charge of Weapon X. They weren’t sure where the previous director had gone or what had happened to him, but things needed to keep going. Progress needed to be made, and soldiers needed to be created for the United States government. That’s why they were there, that’s why all of them were there, to work for the defense of the country. The country needed their help and he looked over the paperwork that was on his desk. He had authorized all current projects to continue until such a time that he had the ability to properly go over everything and check out what needed to be canned and what was going to keep going.

But that wasn’t his biggest problem at the moment. His biggest problem was that he had very few people to work with. He had scientists and he had researchers, but he didn’t have that many field agents. That was going to be fixed.

The door to his office opened, as though he’d mentally asked it to. Which was impossible, since he was a regular human, with no powers. The person that walked in, they had powers though and Noah smiled. “Good to see you.” He said.

“You called, sir?” The person asked.

“Yeah. With all the loses that we’ve sustained, we need people. Agents that we can count on. I have a list of people that we can recruit. I need you to go find them and convince them to join Weapon X.”

The person took the folders of information and then left. There was nothing else to talk about.
My family puts the FUN in Dysfunctional!
"You declare War?! I Accept!"~ Crow
Secret Squirrel

Re: Weapon X: Evolution

Post by Foxx »

The first person on the list was a soldier, a man who had fought for the Chinese, in the People’s Liberation Army Special Operations Forces, in the Shenyang Military Region Special Forces Unit. There were reasons for his time served in the Chinese military, but above all, it was because he was a mutant. The Chinese had found out about his powers quickly and had attempted to utilize them to the best of their ability. This wasn’t as much as it would have been with a different person, because while his powers were incredible, they weren’t that spectacular. He was no Wolverine or Jean Grey. But for the purposes of Chinese special operations, they were perfect. Hackers had sent broken into the old Weapon X program’s files, the servers left unprotected for a short period of time in the wake of the Chrell Invasion. The Chinese had found some interesting material and had copied a few formulas, granting them the ability to experiment a bit with their soldier.

They’d given him a formula of some import, and it had given him a limited healing factor in addition to his previous powers. However, what had happened next had been something that the Chinese hadn’t seen coming.

He’d left. 

After his service was done and after re-upping for another short term, the man had left the Chinese military. He’d left China as well, and the Chinese were not happy about that.

He was a wanted man, this Daniel Han. The Chinese were coming after him and he needed friends and allies, making him a perfect recruit for Weapon X.

The woman closed the file as she flew through the air towards Istanbul, Turkey. That was his known location, information that had been paid for by Weapon X. Money that had gone to an unknown S.H.I.E.L.D. agent’s pockets.

Post by peayitforward »

It was a small cafe that she found him in. She walked up, having gotten off the motorcycle that she had ridden up in and sat the helmet down on the table before sitting down in the seat opposite of him, a smile on her face. Daniel Han looked at her, a little confused. His eyes took her in. Not a hair out of place, all of it wrapped up in the tight bun that was on her head. The leather jacket was unzipped and she wore a dark gray tank top underneath it. He couldn’t see the rest of her, the table hid that.

“Hi there. You’re Daniel Han, right?” She asked. “I’ve heard a lot about you. Please, don’t reach for the gun. We both know it’s there and I’m not here to hurt you. I’m here on behalf of a group of people who want to make you a very good offer. And it starts by getting the Chinese government off your back.” She said. “That alone should be tempting enough.”
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“What do you know about my situation?” Daniel asked.

“I know that you’ve been on the run for quite some time. A few years, really. The Chinese have chased you through Russia and other parts of Asia. Now you’re in Turkey. I have with me a first class ticket to the United States, with your name on it.” She said. “All you have to do is say yes.”

“You’re with the Americans?” He asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

She nodded.

“I’m not interested in joining the CIA.”

The woman gave him an amused smile and looked down at the table, before just lifting her eyes up and piercing him with a look as a waiter walked by. “I’m not with the Agency.” She said, knowing that with all the conversations going on around her, that she could name drop a little. When he gave her a slightly confused look, she continued. “I’m with a group of people who are far more powerful than the Central Intelligence Agency. I’m with Weapon X. We know you’re a mutant. We know that the Chinese experimented on you with formulae from Weapon X. There’s more to the process though and we can finish it for you.”

“I’ve been a killer for one government already. Why should I help you?”

“Because there are agents of the Chinese government in Istanbul looking for you, right now.” She said.

Daniel’s eyes widened. How did she know that? Could he trust the intelligence she was giving him or was she just trying to say something to convince him to work with her, to trust her. “I thought I had at least another week.”

She shook her head, frowning as she did. A thoughtful expression came over his face. “Helping you because I’m on the run doesn’t make sense. I can survive on my own. I’ve done so for years, as you said.”

“You’d do better with help.”

“Look...I just said that I’ve been a killer for one government. I’m not interested in becoming a killer for another. All I’d be doing is changing the language the kill order is written in from Mandarin to English.” Han said, and his voice was built with more and more steel as he spoke. His eyes narrowed at the end of the short monologue.

The woman leaned back, her expression changing. “What did they make you do?” She asked, after a moment, her voice quieter. A breeze blew by, separating them for a moment. Sounds of children playing across the street in an abandoned field turning into a little child’s kingdom of fun.

“It...it doesn’t matter.” Daniel said. “I’ll consider it, but I’m not giving your offer much hope.”

“Fair enough.” The woman rose and handed him a small business card. “I’ll be here for a few more days before I leave. If you change your mind...” She said, trailing off as she reached for her motorcycle helmet. “I think you know what to do.”

Post by peayitforward »

Running her fingers through her hair, she stepped out of the shower and grabbed the towel, wrapping it around herself. The woman walked out of the foggy bathroom and into the hotel room proper. The shower had felt amazing, and had been needed. She was still jet lagged and she closed her eyes with a sigh. Room service would be up to her soon and she was looking forward to the meal. It had been a while since she’d had Turkish food. There as a knock on the door.

“Come in, it’s unlocked.” She said, her eyes alighting on the spot in the room where her sidearm was stashed. If she needed it, it’d be close by. But that was probably the room service.

The door opened and she turned. Her eyes widened.

“I didn’t know you’d taken a job as hotel worker.” She said to Daniel Han, who’d entered her room with the serving cart.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“Trust me, it wasn’t my intention.” The man said. “The last thing I wanted to do was to come ask you for your help.”

This piqued the woman’s interest. “My help?” She asked. “So you’ve reconsidered my offer.”

“Not exactly. However, you were right about one thing.” He said, making sure that the door was shut and now locked. “There are Chinese agents in Istanbul and they’re looking for me.” He pushed the cart up against the door and then looked at her. “You know, you might want to put some clothes on. We need to move.”

“I don’t need to do anything, Mr. Han. I think you need to do a little bit more explaining though.” She said.

“Fine. A few hours after you left, Chinese agents showed up at the little place I’ve been renting. I thought I was off the grid. Looks like I was wrong.” He said, shrugging a little. “A few fifteen round magazines later, and the place actually looked better than it was when I started living there.”

“Charming.” She said, watching as he reached into his coat and pulled out a QSZ-92. “That’s Chinese military issue.” When he nodded, she asked. “MSS?”

“I don’t doubt it. Seriously, the clothes.” He said.

Post by peayitforward »

She was dressed a few minutes later and ready to move. For starters, the woman had never unpacked, and secondly, she packed very light. Everything fit in a carry on and a back pack. Daniel Han stepped out of the hotel room first, checking the hallway. Then they started walking, heading towards the elevators. Once they reached the lobby, they were starting to walk out, when both of them felt the hairs on the back of their neck stand up. They started scanning the room, and Han was the one who picked up on it first. There were three men, Chinese, in business suits, talking to some of the hotel staff.

“They tracked you.”

“That would appear to be the case.” Han said. “Come on, we need to move.” He said, and when she started walking towards the exit, he grabbed her wrist and yanked backwards. “You can't be that green.” Daniel said. “If there are three in here, then there’s at least two outside, covering the main entrance. Somewhere else.” He said, his eyes looking around.

“The Hotel’s parking garage is underground. Grab an elevator and grab a car.” She said.

“That’ll work.”
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

The elevator doors opened and they were in the garage of the hotel. Moving quickly, the pair started to run towards the many parked cars that were on the floor. Daniel could only hope that their movements to the elevator had not been seen by the Chinese agents, but he wasn’t putting his money on it. It was better to be prepared for the worst. That was why the QSZ-92 was in his hand as they moved. Luckily the garage seemed fairly abandoned for the most part.

“Which car?” He asked.

“I don’t have one.”

He muttered a curse under his breath. “Okay then, we need to find out.”

They passed a Etox Zafer that he looked almost longingly at. No, that couldn’t be the one that they took. It would be too obvious and if they needed to keep the car, it was something that might be on the news or easily picked up on the police’s radar. They needed to grab something common, something ordinary, something-

His thoughts were interrupted by words spoken in his native tongue. Though he hadn’t used Chinese in quite a few months, he understood it plain enough.

Stop.

Not a chance of that.

Turning, he saw his target and opened fire. In the enclosed area of the garage, the shots that rang out were louder, echoing throughout the building. They weren’t intended to hit, but more to intimidate and scare, and he hoped that they got the job done. “Do you know how to hot wire a car?” He asked.

“Yes, but it’s going to take me some time.” She said. “It also depends on the car.”

“This one.” He said, pulling her next to a dark gray Fiat Linea.

She nodded and placed her hand on the window. There was a slight flash and then the glass shattered. “Buy me some time.”

“Gladly.” He said, turning back and aiming. Daniel started firing, this time, with the intent to hit. “Hurry though.”

Post by peayitforward »

Sliding into the driver’s seat of a car, the woman reached down and broke open the section that would give her access to what she needed. Pulling the wires into view, she set to work. The sounds of guns being fired added to the sense of urgency as she set about hot wiring the car. In her peripheral vision, she could see Daniel moving around the front of the car, reloading the pistol as he moved A stray bullet slammed into a concrete pillar nearby, startling her and causing her to drop the wires that she was holding.

“Son of a bitch.” She said, grabbing them again and getting back to work. She was rewarded when the engine started, crackling to life. Reaching over, she popped open the passenger seat door. “Get in.” She said.

“Here’s hoping it’s got a full tank of gas. Otherwise we’re screwed.”

“A little over three quarters.” She said.

“I’ll drive.” He said. “Move.”

Clearly he was used to being the one doing things. Normally she wouldn’t have minded, since it put the subject at ease. But then she saw one of the Chinese agents run into view. “No time. Buckle up.”

Slamming on the gas pedal, the tires squealed a bit as they moved forward. The Chinese agent didn’t have enough of a window of opportunity, and was hit by the Linea as it moved forward. There wasn’t enough force to do the movie scene where the bad guy goes over the top of the car. No, he was just knocked down and the car moved over him. “Find me the way out of here.” She said.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“This was your hotel.” Daniel said, as if arguing with the woman was going to make it better. He shook his head as they pulled out of the garage. They got onto the main road and started driving. It didn't take them that long to get into the traffic that made up a regular day in the life of Istanbul. “We need to get away from here as fast as possible.” He said. “Unfortunately, I don’t know that many safe places in Turkey.”

“Funny that you chose this country then.”

“It has...sentimental value.” He said, falling silent for a moment. “Just get us moving.” He said, looking up in to the rearview mirror. “Because there’s a car that looks like it’s moving too quickly just to beat the light.”

She switched lanes, and then came back into the other lane, her foot on the gas pedal. When she looked up into the rearview herself and saw that the other car had mirrored her move, she grimaced. This wasn't going to be easy at all. “How many more magazines do you have?” She asked.

“Not enough.” Daniel said, looking down at the weapon in his hands. “I’ve got two more magazines. Evade. Confrontation isn’t going to work.”

Post by peayitforward »

“Evading isn’t going to....be easy.” She said as she shifted lanes again. “Jesus, this traffic is like a deadlock.” She said. “We’d almost be better just going on foot.”

Daniel had reloaded his pistol and was turned in the seat now, looking for the car that was following them. “So how exactly did you manage to leave China in the first place?” She asked. “There had to have been people following you as soon as you went AWOL.” 

“I didn’t go AWOL, not exactly. The contract was up. I said no, when they wanted me to rejoin. They waited a few days and sent people again, to be more convincing. Said no again.” Daniel said, turning back in the seat. He looked at her. “When they left the second time, I knew the third time they came back it wasn’t going to be a polite conversation. So I just left.”

“You’d think they would have had your passport flagged already.” She said.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“They did. I’m a mutant though, obviously. So certain problems are easier for me to work around.” Daniel said, simply. He didn’t go into further detail and the woman didn’t ask. Not because she hadn’t been interested, but because their car was hit from behind. The hit wasn’t too hard, but it was enough for them to lurch forward in their seats slightly and their tires to complain about lost traction.

Daniel turned in his seat and aimed the pistol. “Probably should have had me drive. I’m a good marksman, but my powers don’t give me the ability to really do anything offensively at this moment in time. Do you have anything?” He asked, as he opened fire with the pistol. Rounds moved through the window, creating holes as they sped further onwards, and impacted against the glass of the car that was pursuing them.

"I might." The woman said. "Grab the wheel." She added, so he did.

Post by peayitforward »

The woman leaned out of the window on her side of the car and let her arm dangle. Her hand was opened, palm facing the car behind her. Closing her eyes, she let loose a powerful blast of energy. She knew that it wasn’t going to do much, as her attacks worked best against live targets. The mechanical parts of the car weren’t going to be much affected. But it was better than nothing. From what she’d read about Daniel, his powers weren’t going to help them, unless he started to get shot at. The blue beam of energy hit the car and made it wobble, but it didn’t budge that much. She tried again and then after seeing the same results, she dipped back into the car.

“Nothing.” She said, grabbing the wheel. “I’m sorry." She added, sparing him a glance.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

That moment of looking away from the road and looking at Daniel was enough.

They were blind sided by another car, also driven by Chinese agents, and the force of the impact caused them to roll. Glass shattered from the windows on the sides, and Daniel grabbed onto the arm rest for stability. The pistol fell from his grip and dropped, moving with the momentum of the rolling car. The impacted car settled quickly, right side. Grateful for that, Daniel scrambled for the pistol. The woman was a little unsettled.

“Snap out of it.” He said, shaking her. He turned to see some of the Chinese agents coming towards them. Without thinking, he started firing, ignoring the screams that rose from the people who had stopped to watch everything that had happened. Fumbling with his seatbelt, he slid out of the car, continuing to fire.

Post by peayitforward »

She got herself unbuckled and opened the door, sliding to the ground. Reaching a hand up, she saw that a large cut had opened up on the side of her head. Losing blood, but not that much, not that fast. That was good. With her set of powers, she was good, but she didn't have exceptional durability or accelerated healing. The woman was like every other homo sapien in that regard. Using the side of the car, she struggled to rise to her feet. Looking up, she saw a Chinese agent moving towards Daniel Han, out of his field of vision.

Bringing her arm up, she fired one of her psionic-eletrict blasts. It hit the agent and took him down. As he fell he started twitching and it kept going while he lay on the ground, paralyzed. Doctors would be able to revive him, but he'd feel the effects for there rest of his life.

Which...wasn't long. Daniel, having seen this, turned and put two bullets in the man, before looking back at her and nodding his thanks.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

The rounds that he was firing was causing people in the area to scream and run like their lives depended on it. Probably because it did. Realistically the Chinese had not sent their best after him. That was their mistake. But then again, they probably hadn't viewed him to be that much of a threat, or they'd thought that he would come quietly. Definitely they were mistaken on both of those. He had no qualms about killing these men, because he refused to be controlled by the Chinese anymore. The work that he wanted to do was quiet and mundane, and called a normal life. That's what he wanted in life. Of course this woman that was helping him, she wanted to convince him to do otherwise. So far he wasn't convinced at all, but he had to give her credit for what she was doing here.

She was good, he had to give her that.

It didn't take them that long, but within five minutes, they'd taken everyone out. Daniel looked at her. "We need to get out of here." He said. "New car. Now." He added.

Post by peayitforward »

Ten minutes later, they were in a park in Istanbul. She'd gotten them on mass transit as opposed to a car, and they were sitting in the park, planning their next move. Obviously they stuck out a great deal, but Istanbul was cosmopolitan enough that a non-Arabic looking woman, and a Chinese man were able to somewhat blend in. Looking at him, the woman saw that he was on the internet, on her cell phone. When she'd asked why her phone, he'd said that the odds of his phone being tapped had been why he'd ditched it a while ago. It seemed like a fair response. He'd said that he might have a way out of Istanbul for them.

Shaking his head, he looked over at her. "My option isn't going to pan out. You can get us out of the country?" He asked.

"I'll need a few hours, but I can get us on a flight, yes." She said. "However, if I'm putting you on a flight it means that you've agreed to work for Weapon X." She said.

He held up the phone. The name "Chloe" was written in part of a text message from someone. "That's you. Chloe." He said.

"Chloe Pullman." She said, nodding. "You're evading the question."

"No, I'm setting up my response." Daniel replied. "Ms. Pullman, if I get on the plane with you, it means that I'm interested in hearing a more detailed proposal. It does not mean that I will work for Weapon X. More importantly than that, I know your face and now I know your name. Don't mess with me if I say no down the road." He said.

He drove a hard bargain and she knew it. Weapon X didn't have the resources right now to really be able to go after him if he did say no and did try to leave. Which meant that if it was going to be anyone who was sent after him, it would probably be her. If he knew her face and knew her name, well he had a leg up on evading her, especially since he'd seen some of what she could do.

"I understand."

"Good." He tossed her the phone. "Get us out of here."
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

Chloe was true to her word. A few hours later, they were on board a non stop flight to New York. Then they'd need to transfer to head to some place called Green Bay, Wisconsin. He'd never heard of it. Seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do. The flight attendant passed by them with trays of overly processed food. Daniel looked down at his meal. Chloe had opted for stuffed eggplant in olive oil and a salad with goat cheese. He on the other hand was eating pan fried shrimp in a lemon butter sauce with steamed vegetables. First class did have it's perks sometimes. "How much do you really know about me?" He asked. "You do seem rather convinced that Weapon X needs to have me."

"We know a lot. Just like how the Chinese are able to hack us, we can hack right back. There is still some information that we don't know, but Weapon X doesn't care about the specifics." Chloe said. "I could care less whether or not you shot some guy with a sniper rifle back in the day. What I do care about, is whether or not you made the shot. That's what's important to me."

"Effectiveness, not the details."

"Exactly." She replied, taking a sip of her diet coke. "You'd be surprised how much gets overlooked in the face of efficiency. We were looking at some other people who I thought were animals, but they got the job done, so we had to be interested in them. Better we pick them up than someone else."

"Someone else?" He asked.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. Vanguard. An organization ran by another country, like FSB or MI5. Not to mention all the third parties out there, mercenary groups and what not." Chloe said, looking out of the window at the darkness that surrounded the plane. "Take a look around once in a while and you'll see the world isn't a pretty place."

"You're not a field agent. Not really." Daniel said.

"No, I'm not." She admitted, with a wan smile. "I'm more of an analyst." When he gave her a look that told her that he could tell, she shrugged. "It's what I'm good at."

Post by peayitforward »

"Well, keep doing what you're good at, and let the people like me do what we're good at." He said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked, a little put off.

"Lady, you're green in the field." He said. "I could see it from body language, marksmanship, all of it." He said. "If you were trying to convince me that Weapon X was a top of the line outfit, you were not doing a good job."

"Weapon X is going through some tough times, I will admit to that." She said. She wondered how much she should tell him. After all, he could easily say no as soon as they got off the airplane, and thank her for helping him get out of that situation. Then again, he could do that anyway, even if she didn't tell him. "Weapon X was hit very hard. Everyone was during the Chrell Invasion and we were no exception. I know it was decades ago, but just sorting the world out alone took time. Too many other fires for the government to work on. We're in the stages of rebuilding. New leadership, new direction. Everything from the top down is changing, and we're recruiting. Your name was the first on the list, because out of the possible candidates, you're the best."
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

Daniel had to think about that one for a while. "That's...interesting." He said, after a few minutes. The look that she gave him told him that she had been worried about telling him in the first place. "I understand the fears in telling me, Ms. Pullman." He looked at her and then smiled. "Weapon X is in a bit of a bind. I do think that it was misfortunate whatever happened to the previous organization. But if their best field agent is better suited to be an analyst, I'm not sure if that's the organization that I want to work with."

"You have to." She blurted out.

"I have to?" He asked. "Pray tell why?"

"Mutants are dangerous. That's a fact. Without proper guidance and direction they're even more dangerous. With the way the world is working these days, the government needs something in order to make sure that they can limit the damage that the mutant population can cause. Vanguard exists for a reason. The Avengers initiative is there for a reason. Weapon X focuses on mutations, that's how it works." She said.

"I understand that." He said, as the message came over the intercom that they were getting ready to start their descent in to New York City. "But I think you're missing my point. Why me?" He asked.

Post by peayitforward »

"Do you want me to stroke your ego, is that it?" Chloe said, confused. "You're the best, Daniel Han. We'd be lost without you, I swear. Please. We can find other mutants. You're not the only option. You're just the best that's popped up on our radar. More importantly than that, and the reason why I put you at the top of the list, is that you have a conscience. You're not just some killer."

"Well, I kind of am."

"My point is that while you are a good killer, you won't kill just because you're told to." She said, and then stopped to make sure that their garbage was taken and that their trays were set up the way they needed to be. "That's what the past two incarnations of Weapon X lacked, but it's something that you have. You left the Chinese because you didn't want to be used. Freedom is important to you, right?" She asked.

"Yes, it is."

"Exactly. So you'll make sure that Weapon X doesn't go off the deep end and do things it shouldn't." She said.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

Somehow they managed to not speak to each other until they had gotten to Green Bay. The car ride from the airport to where Weapon X was located, in a facility not too far away from the city proper didn't take that long either. Pulling into the parking lot, Chloe got out of the car, and headed inside, knowing that her luggage would be properly dealt with. Daniel on the other hand, slung the army style duffel bag that he had with him over his shoulder and followed her into the building. Getting through the security checks didn't take that long, and soon they were in the elevator headed to where Noah Hirsch's office was. Walking past the secretary, she stepped into the office.

"Director Hirsch, this is Daniel Han." She said, gesturing to the Chinese man who followed her into the room.

"Ah yes, Mr. Han." Noah said, stepping forward. He was dressed in a blue dress shirt with a gray tie and black slacks. A suit jacket was tossed over the chair behind the desk. He offered his hand to Daniel, who shook it. "Please, sit." He said gesturing to one of the chairs in front of the desk. Chloe remained standing a few steps behind Daniel to the side. "I heard that everything went well in Istanbul, despite a few hiccups." Noah said. "Nothing that we can't take care of, though." He said.

"You want me to work for Weapon X." Daniel said.

"Straight and to the point. Yes, I do." Noah said. "What do you say?"

Post by peayitforward »

Chloe watched the Chinese man as he sat in the chair. There was a lot on his mind, she could tell. He didn’t want to be caged in and that was something that she could understand. But this was a different Weapon X. They didn’t do the things that the older versions of it did. They were merely watchful, not antagonistic towards the mutant population. However, they did know that the mutant population needed to be watched. Glossing over it didn’t help anyone.

He turned and looked at her for a moment or two, before looking back.

“Yes.” Daniel said, after a few more moments. “I’ll join. I’m not too keen on working for someone, but Ms. Pullman had a very convincing argument.”
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

“That’s good to hear.” Noah said. “We’re in dire need of operatives, I won’t lie to you. We’re doing something of a recruitment drive, since the last Weapon X was solidly destroyed by the Chrell. We tried rebuilding over the years, but nothing truly stuck. This will however. So that’s what you’re going to be doing, now that you’re a part of the organization.”

“I understand.” Daniel said. “I’m interested in something though.” He said.

“What’s that?” Noah asked.

“The Chinese will continue to look for me.” He said. “That’s something that has to be dealt with. I can’t go anywhere until I know that that’s been handled.” Han said.

Noah nodded. He looked at his phone and then back at Han. “Don’t worry, it’s small potatoes compared to what we need to do.” He said.

“Really?” Daniel asked with a smirk. “The Chinese government?” He asked. “Small potatoes?”

Chloe smiled at that and so did Noah. “I didn’t mean it like that, I promise.” Noah said. “But it is something that we can handle.” He said. “I’ll have your first assignment for you in the morning. But I suggest that you meet with our armorer. Get yourself situated and the like.” He said.

Post by peayitforward »

Chloe showed Daniel where he would be staying and then she headed back to the Director’s office. “Are you sure you want him to be going on a mission by himself?” She asked. “You trust him that much already?” She asked.

“Well, no, but we have our means of making sure that he does what he’s supposed to.” Noah said. “I don’t remember you being this concerned about field operations.” He said.

“I became this concerned when you made an analyst a field operative.” She said. “Also, he’s not someone that you can control.” Chloe said. “He’s different than the others you’re used to.”

“By that statement, I’m able to control you and I’m telling you not to worry about it.” Noah said, with a small smile. He grabbed his jacket. “I’m late for dinner with my wife. Look, we have your next assignment, go and take care of it. That’s all I’m asking you to do. You brought him in. Good job. Daniel Han is my problem, so let me take care of it. Get the next mutant, Chloe.”
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

Daniel Han found his accommodations to be acceptable. That is to say, there was a bed and a closet. Pretty much all that he needed in life. His bags were already there, waiting for him, and it didn’t take him that long to unpack. From there, he saw that they’d given him a laptop. Not that he was on the internet that much, just using it to get information for whatever his next mission was. He remembered Hirsch’s words, that he should go and find the armorer, whoever that was. Walking out of the room, he found a passerby in the building and made an inquiry as to who that person might be.

He was told that where the lab was, and so he headed in that direction. The trip itself was short, and as he walked, he took stock of everything that he saw. Weapon X had a good amount of funding, that much was obvious. They’d spent it wisely, and so they had good equipment. This was something that he was used to from his days with the Chinese.

Walking into the laboratory, he saw that it was in what appeared to be a state of disarray. He’d ben in similar situations before, and he knew that researchers and developers tended to be scatterbrained. But that was a generalization, but one that he’d found had tended to be the norm.

“Hello?” He called out. “I was told to meet with someone here.” He said.

Post by Ninzi »

“Don’t...don’t touch anything.” A voice said. “I’m trying to remember where I left something. If you touch something, you’ll mess up everything and if you mess up everything, I’ll shoot you in the face with my gun.”

“Uh. Right.”

“At least, I think I have a gun. They gave me a gun. I made it a better gun. Don’t know how, don’t ask me that, that’s for losers. Got the results. Results are what are important. You like results?”

“Well, I-”

“Course you like results. You’re with Weapon X. We love results.” A man came into view, with a lab coat on. He looked like he hadn’t shaved in a few days, and he had bags under his eyes. The man had something resembling clothing on underneath the lab coat. “My results are the best.” He said. Then he stopped and lifted something up, pointing it at Daniel Han, who lifted his hands up. “Who are you, anyway?” He asked.

“Daniel Han. New member of Weapon X. Noah Hirsch asked me to introduce myself.”

“Course he did. Polite mannered kind of guy. I’m Wallace Keats.” He said. “No relation. I think. It’s possible. You never know.” He said. “Now, what can I help you with?”

“What do you...what do you do down-”

“SCIENCE!” Wallace said, jumping onto a chair and spinning around in it slightly, so that he peered at Daniel over the back of the chair. “They think I’m crazy, but I’m not crazy. Not crazy. Special. But not crazy. You think I’m crazy?” Wallace asked. “Course you do.” He said, not giving Daniel the chance to respond. “Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but I’m a genius. So what do you need?” He asked. “I build things. I can make anything, but sometimes it takes time. Time is important.” He said. “Also, I like chocolate milkshakes. And weed. Copious, copious amounts of weed. You don’t have any do you?” He asked.

“No.”

“Shame. Could have smoked some together. I pass the joint, I don’t chief it.” Wallace said. “Now, do you know where you’re going?” He asked.

“Not particularly. Haven’t gotten a mission yet.”

“Ah yes. Well.” Wallace said and pointed down a hallway. “That’s the regular armory. I don’t have access to that place.” He said, steepling his fingers together and moving them in motion together as he looked down at them. “I think they think I’m going to go mental and shoot everyone.” He said.

Daniel nodded his thanks and started to walk past, happy to be out of this room with this raving lunatic. As he walked by the man, Wallace grabbed him and leaned in, sniffing Daniel’s ear. “No, you’re not one of them. I like you. I’ll build you stuff.” He said.

“That’s good to know.”

Post by peayitforward »

Chloe had been given her assignment. The target was a young woman named Brett Foster. The girl had been living in New York City at the time of the Black Roses incident and then the Phoenix incident. Her powers had manifested quite possibly as an indirect result of Michelle Crawford turning into the Phoenix. She had been missing for some time and that was something that was worrying to the people at Weapon X. The reports on what exactly her powers were had been sketchy and so Chloe had been tasked to find her and bring her in. All she to go on was a train ticket that the girl had purchased from Penn Station. Going west.

The ticket had been for San Francisco but there were a number of stops along the way. The girl could have gotten off at any point. It had been a number of months since that incident and she really wished that Wallace Keats would finish the mutation locator that he had been working on. They had tried to get him files on Cerebro but everything had been rudimentary at best. It would have made this a lot easier.

So it meant that she'd have to do some digging if this was going to work. Digging she didn't mind she was an analyst. They liked to dig.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

Placing sunglasses on his face, Daniel looked down at the map app that he had on the smartphone that Weapon X had given him. Everything looked like he was going in the right direction and that was good. He had never really done much driving in the United States, but this was a highway, so it seemed as though there wasn’t much that could go wrong. Especially since the highway itself was rather deserted. He couldn’t see another car in front of him, as far as he could see, which was pretty far, and Daniel couldn’t remember the last time that he had passed a car. The top was down on the convertible, and he didn’t care that much about putting miles on it. It didn’t belong to him after all.

He was headed south, down to Mexico. There had been reports that had come across the desk of Noah Hirsch that a mutant was being accused of the murder of a local senator. It had been decided that Daniel was going to investigate and see what had happened with the mutant. An official mission, he had papers that allowed him to go into Mexico. The speed with which everything had gotten done, that was something that he hadn’t been as used to as he’d thought he was.

In the armory, he’d found a Chinese pistol, a QSW-06 that he’d taken a likening to. The pistol, along with three magazines of ammunition were in the car with him. The weapon was safely secured and he was obeying the law, mostly, so he didn’t think that anything would come of it.

So far, the work was going well. The organization was treating him well, though he’d only been a part of it for what, two or three days. He did like that he was already being sent out on a mission and given something to do. One thing that he hated was sitting around and doing nothing, and he was glad that since the organization was still being redeveloped that there was going to be a lot of work to do. Boredom wasn’t something that set in with Daniel Han, but when it did, it had disastrous results for him.

All he had was a name and a place for this operation.

Liam Turner.

Post by Ninzi »

“No woman, I can’t build you an ice cream machine that works on steam. That would make absolutely no sense. I did make a popcorn machine that works underwater. Now that’s science.” Wallace said.

“I’m just looking for a way to track a mutant.” Chloe said.

He lit the tip of a generously filled roll of pot and inhaled deeply. Lazily, he blew the smoke out. “Realistically, there’s no way of properly doing that, short of something like Cerebro. We haven’t gotten our hands on anything like that, and for some reason I can’t make anything like that. Short of Cerebro, my suggestion would be, if you know what her powerset is, to track any kind of energy that fits that signature. Unfortunately, that will only work if it’s energy based, natural, psionic, things like that. If she just likes to hit things, then no dice.” He said, in one breath, after he finished blowing out smoke.

Chloe’s eyes lit up. This was one of those moments when he was lucid, and actually made sense. She wasn’t sure why Noah allowed Wallace to keep working at Weapon X. That was a lie. She did. The man was a genius, and he could make things that worked beautifully in his sleep. But when he woke up, he had no idea how they worked and had to take them apart to better understand what he himself had made. Either way, he was effective.

They just had to put up with his crazy personality in the process. Which she could do, provided he had moments like this. So she pounced on it.

“Could you build me something like that?” She asked. “Maybe a software patch, for a satellite? One of the military ones. We can target the west coast of the country. That’s where the trail goes dead. She’s been on the run for months now. The Phoenix Event was months ago, time flies.”

“Time flies. Now that’s something that you don’t see all day. Flies that have the ability to manipulate time. I bet I could make those, if I spliced together enough DNA and genes. Now, the temporal mechanics that’s something that would be a little hard to make and-”

“Focus.” Chloe said, snapping her fingers in his face.

A look of abject terror flitted over his features and he backed up, almost bobbling the weed and he grabbed it, making sure that he didn’t drop it.

“Focus. Software patch. Got it.” He said. Then his eyes changed and the crazy was back. “I love you.” He said. “We should make babies, Chloe Pullman. I don’t care about the gender. They’d be awesome and I could use them for experiments on self cleaning diapers and stuff. Stuff. Haha. That’d be what would be in the diapers. Get it?”

“....And I’m going now.” Chloe said, sighing. She turned and started to leave.

“No babies?” He asked, calling out.

She walked out of the room.

“No? Babies? Babies no? Awww....”
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Brett Foster looked at the table in front of her. They’d been pretty decent tippers, but they’d made a mess. Oh well, just another day in the life. Grabbing the dull gray bin, she walked over to the table and started to clear it, taking the dishes away and putting them in to the bin. This restaurant wasn’t big enough to have a dedicated staff of bus boys or anything and furthermore, when they did, it wasn’t in the middle of the day like it was now. Brett finished clearing the table and then grabbed the somewhat wet cloth that she had in her apron’s side pocket. Wiping the table quickly, she headed to the back and dumped the bin into the big sink. Marty, the dishwasher, gave her an sarcastically appreciative smile.

Heading back out, she saw that they had a new customer, a woman, and she was already seated and looking over the menu. Walking over to her, Brett gave her a smile. “Hey, how are you doing today?” She asked.

“Oh, I’m alright.” The woman replied. “Do you guys have any specials today?” She asked.

“Yeah, the Rocket Burger.” Brett said. “It’s got japalenos on it, so I don’t know if that’s something you can handle.”

“That’d be fine. Ketchup, mustard, the works. I’ll take the steak fries and a Diet Coke.” The woman said.

Nodding, Brett left to fill the order.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

Daniel parked the car and got out, adjusting the sunglasses that were on his face. The QSW-06 was on his person and easily accessible. The walk that he had to make was short and sweet, and he ignored the heat from the sun as he did. Already he was looking forward to getting back into the car for the air conditioning. He didn’t know much about this Liam Turner guy, but he did know that the cops were looking for him. That meant that they were the first people that he would go to. His Spanish was a little rusty, but hopefully it would get him by and get him the answers that he was looking for. He wasn’t sure why Turner had been accused of murdering some local senator, but he did know that Noah Hirsch wanted the man back in the United States and talking to Weapon X.

Hirsch knew more about this than he was letting on, but that didn’t surprise Han. There were levels of knowledge and he doubted that the director of Weapon X would trust him with a large amount of information so early into his tenure with the organization. Daniel would have to earn that trust, even if Chloe Pullman had vouched for him.

Walking into the police station he set about doing just that.

“Hello, I was looking for a detective or someone who could help me with something.” He said.

“Talk to Esperanza.” The police officer behind the desk said and jerked a finger in a vague direction.

“Right.” Daniel said, nodding, and walked through, taking off his sunglasses.

This was going to be a lot of fun. Not really.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Thank God, her shift was over.

Brett Foster walked out of the back of the restaurant, dragging the backpack along with her. She’d changed into regular clothes, and dropping the backpack on the ground for a second, she dragged a dark green hoodie on. Picking the backpack back up, she started walking again. It had been a long shift, and the eighteen year old lit up a cigarette as she walked towards the bus stop. Hopefully the bus came quickly, but you never knew sometimes. She wanted to kick off her shoes and lie down for a while, maybe take a nap. Luckily for her, she didn’t have to worry about things like school anymore. All she did was work. Then again, it wasn’t like she could go back home. Not that she’d ever really considered New York City home. It had just been where she had lived at the time.

Unfortunately, it didn’t look like she was going to have a quiet evening. Brett heard boots coming up behind her. Her eyes narrowed. Every once in a while, the young woman had had a problem with some of the guys in the area. Since she’d moved here, after hitchhiking across the country, she had had only one serious run in. Hopefully, that number wasn’t going to change, since the only option was for it to go up.

Bullies were everywhere, no matter where you went, so it seemed. These guys were a bit more interested in her for her looks than for messing with her. That was something a bit new. Spinning around, she wondered if she was going to have to use her powers to get out of this situation, hoping that she wouldn’t.

There was a woman standing there, the woman from the diner.

“What the hell.” Brett said. “You scared the shit out of me.” She said.

“Sorry about that.” The woman replied. “Is crime here that bad, that you could get jumped when the sun is still up?” She asked, looking around.

“No, but you never know.” Brett said. “What’s wrong, something I can do for you?” She asked.

“Actually yes.” The woman said. “Are you Brett Foster?” She asked.

“Who wants to know?” Brett asked, her eyes narrowing.

“I wanted to ask you a few questions about New Yor-”

Brett responded instinctively. Her mutant power triggered and everything seemed to slow down. Bird calls in the air turned into long, drawn out screeches. Even the sound of the wind, seemed to take forever. What were seconds for everyone else was now minutes to Brett. She had the power to jump to a faster time stream. This meant that she could move faster than anyone on the planet, because time, for them, was slowed compared to what it was for her. Reaching out, Brett touched the skin of the woman who had come to speak to her, triggering the resolution of the equation.

The woman was moved backwards, as if she’d taken a strong shove.

“I’m not talking about New York.” Brett said, and turned, starting to run.
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

He’d gotten a good bit of information from the local police. He hadn’t had to bribe them too much, which was something that had made him pretty happy. He’d been given buy money, but realistically Daniel didn’t want to use it unless it was absolutely necessary. This was his first job, so he wanted to do things on his own merit and show that he was the capable person that Weapon X was looking for. Not because he really wanted to prove himself to Weapon X, more because it was a sticking point of personal pride. The information that he’d gotten had been more detailed about what had happened to the local senator. The hit had been quick and efficient. No one had seen it coming, though apparently, there had been a meeting with the senator earlier that same day.

A picture of the woman who had met with the senator was in his possession now, and there wasn’t much information about her. He had emailed it to Weapon X to see what they could tell him. From what the theory was, the man that he was looking for, Liam Turner, was a known associate of the woman. But the police wouldn’t give him a name to go along with the woman’s picture.

Which left him to trolling the streets to try to find out where this Liam Turner was.

He started by asking around about popular places to go to for food and drink. While Turner and this woman would have kept a low profile, they had to eat. Human nature and all that. So he narrowed his choices down, skipping the high profile places, and the tourist traps. No chance of them being there, too visible.

Finally, he selected a popular, but not too popular bar and walked in.

Time to see what he could find out.

Post by peayitforward »

“Listen, it’s okay.” Chloe said. “Wait!” She called out and cursed under her breath. She’d figured that Brett would be a bit skittish but this was more than she’d expected. Moving forward, she reached out, and grabbed the girl by the wrist. Pulling lightly, she tried to stop her, but Brett moved fast, impossibly fast.

That was in line with eye witness reports of what had happened in Central Park that day, all those months ago.

Her powers kicked in and the first thing that rushed into her mind was all the emotions that Brett was feeling. It was a lot. The girl was going through problems, stress. She was away from home, she had been for months. Chloe could feel everything that the girl was feeling though it was muted, dampened. Like you were listening to headphones that had volume problems. It would get stronger the longer she held on. Since this girl could move impossibly fast, Chloe couldn't afford for that to happen, but she had to slow her down. So she went to the next power on the list.

Low level telepathy.

Stop.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

The girl couldn’t help herself. She didn’t know what it was, but there was a warm sensation on the back of her neck, like warm water. Trickling down from the back of her neck, it went down her spine to her tailbone. Brett stopped her fighting and stood there, looking at the woman.

“What the hell did you do to me?” She asked.

“Low level telepathy.” Chloe said. “I just needed you to stop. I want to talk.”

“I said I didn’t want to talk.”

“Well it’s a good thing that what you’re interested in, doesn’t really matter.” She said and her eyes danced with amusement as Brett’s narrowed. “Now, you’re a minor on the run from the law. The law being a broad term here. You didn’t do anything wrong, you haven’t really committed any crimes, you’re just a runaway from home.” Chloe said. “I’m not holding that against you. But your family does want you back.”

“I don’t want to go back.” Brett said. “I saw the way that those kids looked at me. I know how everyone will look at me. Like I’m a freak.”

Chloe didn’t need her empathy to pick up on how Brett was feeling. She nodded and reached a hand out, placing it on Brett’s shoulder.

“I understand. I’m not here to take you back to New York.”

“You’re not?” Brett asked, confusion on her face. This didn’t make any sense. Once the woman had started asking her about New York, she’d figured that she was a private investigator or something like that that her family had hired to track her down and bring her back. But she didn’t want to go back. She refused, and she’d never go back as long as she could. Th last thing that she wanted was to see the judging faces of the kids that she’d gone to school with. They’d call her a freak, much more than they already had. That wasn’t what she wanted out of life. While Brett didn’t know what was going on inside of her, she just wanted to be left alone. “What do you want?” She asked.

“I want to help you. I have powers, like you do. I’m a mutant too.” Chloe said. “I know a place that can help you, but it’s up to you.”

Post by peayitforward »

"How do I know I can trust you?" Brett asked, her voice barely above a whisper. Chloe had to strain in order to hear it.

Chloe felt more from those words than she ever would from her empathy powers. This girl had been hurt in the past, hurt deeply. Her trust in people had been shattered. In that moment, Chloe understood the good that Weapon X could do and she wanted to help the little girl in front of her who only wanted a friend who would be able to tell her that everything would be alright, would be okay. Promising to help her no matter what, Chloe smiled.

"You can't." She admitted. "But I'd like to be able to try to earn that trust, if you're willing to let me." She said.

Brett's face showed how much she believed Chloe. Finally, the girl nodded. "I'll go with you." She said and Chloe smiled at that.

"Thank you for trusting me. I know it's difficult."
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx »

The information that he’d been given, well, he hoped that it was good. Daniel had finally, after a little convincing, gotten a bartender to tell him about the last time he had seen the man named Liam Turner. He’d been here, with a woman. They’d been drinking, and then they’d left together. That was it. It wasn’t much to go on. Daniel hadn’t had any luck with finding out anything about the woman either. Apparently, all the bartender remembered was that she had been white, and pretty hot. He’d said something about small tits though. That part, Daniel hadn’t needed to know. But he had ben given something that he did need to know.

It hadn’t come from the bartender, but from a woman who had been in the bar to speak with another one of the bar’s employees. She was his wife and she worked in a small run down clinic. From what she had told him, a man matching Turner’s description had been brought in to the clinic where she worked. No one had known who he was, and they were currently trying to figure out whether or not they should call the authorities because they could see on the news that he was a wanted man.

So Daniel had explained that h was with the authorities. When she had expressed doubt, since obviously, he didn’t look like someone from around these parts, he had explained that he was an American asked to help with the investigation. This had placated the woman’s misgivings.

Now he had just pulled up into the parking lot of the clinic. It really was a run down clinic.

Adjusting the sunglasses on his face, Daniel walked into the building, and spotted the woman who he had met only an hour or so before. Walking over to her, he smiled, and nodded. Hopefully he was getting somewhere and he’d found what he was looking for.

Post by peayitforward »

Chloe walked into the Weapon X building in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Brett in tow. The two women walked past the security checkpoint, with Chloe showing the guards her badge. The men let her through and soon they were in the elevator heading downstairs.

“This is where you work?” Brett asked.

“It is.” Chloe said with a smile. “It’s where you’ll stay too.” She said.

Brett nodded, and her grip tightened slightly on the backpack that she had with her. Her eyes darted around the elevator, as if she expected it to turn into a cell or something like that. Chloe could understand the fear.

“Don’t worry, it’ll be okay.” Chloe said, reassuringly and Brett nodded, a jerking motion that showed that she didn’t fully believe Chloe, but that she was going to try to trust her. That was all that Chloe could ask for.

The door to the elevator opened and they walked out. “Let’s go find Director Hirsch. I’m sure that he’ll be very interested to meet you.” Chloe said with a smile.

“You have a visitor.” The nurse said in Spanish.

Liam groaned slightly, opening his eyes. This was the last thing that he wanted. He looked up from the hospital bed. “Who the hell are you?” He asked. “You’re not with the police.” He said, and it was more of a statement.

“Aw, what gave me away?” Daniel asked, as he walked into the room.

“I don’t know, the whole Chinese thing.” Liam said with a smirk.

“No, I’m not with the police.” Daniel said. “But I do have some questions.” He said. “They’re accusing you of murdering that senator.” He said. “Doesn’t look like you were in any position to do that. What happened?”

“There was this....woman.” He said.

“Usually is.” Daniel said, sitting down on a chair in the hospital room.

“Yeah well...” Liam said and trailed off, looking away. His eyes squinted as he stared out of the window for a moment. “She’s a bit of a bitch. Yes, I know that’s how it usually is, too. We were contracted to put the fear of God into the senator. I didn’t want to hurt him, or hurt his family. She was okay with that. At least, that’s what I thought.” He said. “Who are you with, anyway?” He asked.

“I’m with Weapon X.” Daniel said. “We want to help you.”

“Oh yeah? No shit.”
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Noah sat at his desk, looking at a field report from their operation in the south of Poland. Things were going well there, and Weapon X would hopefully be able to continue the relationship that they were building with the government there. Looking up, h saw that Chloe had entered his office with a young girl. He smiled. “Brett Foster, I presume?” He asked and the girl nodded. “Welcome. My name is Noah Hirsch. I’m the Director of Weapon X.” He said.

“It’s nice to meet you.” The teenager replied.

“I’m sure you have a bunch of questions.” He said. “I have a bunch of questions for you.”

“Really?” Brett asked, with a smirk. “I doubt that.”

“I’ve been told that your powers are temporal based. We have a scientist. He’s an interesting person, to say the least. But he’s hard to follow. Ridiculously insane. We only keep him around because he’s excellent at what he does. When he explains things, I don’t understand them. I was wondering if you could tell me what you do, in your terms.”

“I slow everything down.” She said. “But it doesn’t seem slow to me. Then when I hit something, it speeds back up. When I do that, it also hurts them a lot more than it should if I hit them normally.”

“See, that’s so much simpler than what Wallace speculated.” Noah said. “Anyway, I’ll let Ms. Pullman continue the tour.” He said.