Farewell Address

Please check daily for announcements and bring in your ideas/reports/suggestions.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Man of Many Faces

Farewell Address

Post by corsos »

Ladies and gentlemen of Star Wars Exodus,

As I step down from the position of moderator, one I’ve held since 2003 (wow – I’m old), I just wanted to share a few brief words.

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you for allowing me to hold the position of moderator for so long, and putting your trust in me. I like to think that Star Wars Exodus is in a much better place now than it was when we started this great experiment, and I hope the rest of you feel the same way. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to play a role in making our home the special place that it is. I did the best I could, and I hope it was good enough.

I also want to share a sentiment before I step down. It’s something I’ve noticed during my time moderating and I would like to put some words to it.

This place will only be as great as the people that populate it. It’s not just the people; however, it’s also their behavior. That is our public face and what people see when they visit the forums. Most times we are a very cordial and interact extremely well. Unfortunately, sometimes we do not. Some of us have known each other for ten years. Most of us have been here for more than half a decade, and others a few years. There aren’t many places that can claim that kind of history or core group. We are really like an online family, and sometimes families fight. Due to our history, these fights can sometimes get pretty nasty.

What everyone needs to realize, is that even when we disagree, we all want the same thing: for the board to be as great as it can be. Our arguments aren’t personal and they shouldn’t be made personal. When there’s conflict, please remember that. Please consider how your post would look to an outsider, and a visitor, before you hit the submit button. We can always be respectful to each other, even if we are on opposite sides of an argument.

We want to attract new members to make this place as vibrant as it once was. The way we get people to stay is to change the way we behave towards one another, especially when angry or upset. This activity and behavior, as much as anything, chases people away from this place and that’s a shame. It has to stop.

Likewise, there is too much behind the scene gossip and plotting over chat programs that happens from time to time. Members try to turn people against each other, and play political games. This divides us. It does not bring us together. It achieves nothing. We are NOT in any sort of competition here. This is a collaborative writing board, not a sim or a place where people win and lose.

We are all in this together, and unless we realize that, this place will not attract new people, become more vibrant, and thrive. We've lost members through the years, like most boards have, but we haven't replaced them. Everyone, from the moderators to the newest members, need to help bring more people here. That is our greatest challenge and one we must succeed at if we want to survive.

I could not have more faith in the current moderator team than I do right now. Every single person that holds the title has the best interests of this board in mind when they make their decisions. They want the best for this place and will work hard to achieve our goals. Sometimes you may disagree with a decision, but just remember that moderating isn’t easy, the team does the best they can, and they only want what’s best for the board. They will do a FANTASTIC job as we move forward. Halomek, Pryde, Vague, and Balsa: Keep up the good work!

Thanks again everyone - and I'll see you on the RP forums! (hopefully I'll never have to make another post in this particular forum ever again :mrgreen: )

C.

Corsos

John

:emperor:

P.S. On a separate note, I leave for training camp tomorrow and my posting will be limited. This month is my busiest of the year, but Ill do my best to keep up with everything.
"The goal of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

The Rev.

Re: Farewell Address

Post by Shaggy »

Thanx C! Your leadership will be missed
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

I think I speak for the entire administration and all the moderators when I say that you will both be missed.

Your service is greatly appreciated.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest »

Thank you for your service all these years. You definitely played a positive role in making this community the way it is today.

Look forward to continuing to see you on the boards :)
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

I have just one question...will you be like Brett Favre and unretire or will you be more like Rambo and when your needed most be willing to put your skills to the use of a nation again? :mrgreen:

In all seriousness. Well done C.
Man of Many Faces

Post by corsos »

Always ready for duty... old, angry, and full of rage. :mrgreen:
"The goal of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith »

Thank you Corsos for a job well done.

Post by Nichalus »

Who are you again? I 'think' i've seen your name once or twice on the boards...*smirk*

Excellent Job John! nuff said. :)
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion