The Blood-Dimmed Tide

Takes place immediately after the Battle of Yavin
Tales and stories set during the events of Episodes 4-6...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

The Blood-Dimmed Tide

Post by Mir »

The man grabbed the dark brown leather jacket that was hanging in the closet. Throwing it on, over a black tank top. Walking out of the room that he was in, he descended first one, then two, then three flights of stairs before he reached the cantina that he was staying above. Meeting here in a cantina was something that afforded a good modicum of safety and security. Though, you never knew who was watching. He slid into the booth, knowing that his contact was already there, ready and waiting. Leaning into the soft back of the booth, he regarded the man who was sitting there with a wary eye. They’d worked together in the past, and though they had been effective as a team, neither men liked the other’s style.

Their modus operandi.

“So, what’s the story?” He asked.

“There’s been a cache of weapons that’s been found.” The other man said. “We don’t have that much information, but what we do have is good.” He said. “I think this is something that we can’t afford to miss.”

“What are we talking about?”

“A decent number of blasters and hand held weaponry.” The other man replied, noting the other’s disgust. “Look, I know it doesn’t seem like the greatest of things to do, but every little bit helps.” He said. “I’m a freelancer myself.” He added.

“Blasters and hand held weaponry? Really? That’s a frellin milk run, and you know it, Nathan.” The man said. “There are far more valuable uses of my time. I could take a Hutt contract.”

“Then take it.” Nathan replied, easily. He ran a hand over the table lightly. “No one’s asking you to do this. I know you have a crew to take care off. That’s why there’s a little bit more. Reports are that the cache has a lot of other stuff there. It’s not on the requested list. I kept it off the list also, so you could have some loot.” He said.

“Well that’s unlike you.” He said, signaling the bar droid that he was looking for a drink. He gave the local signal for a glass of lomin-ale. He looked back at Nathan as the other man shrugged.

“Color me generous. At least-”

“At least I’ll owe you.”

The other man smiled and nodded slowly. There was a moment of silence between the two men, as they both considered the meaning behind those words. There was much that Nathan could do, much that he had done. The odds were that sooner or later he would call in the fact that he was owed. He did it with everyone and he always made sure that he benefited in the long run whenever he did anything. Cold and calculating, that was his style of doing things. It differed greatly from the run and gun style that the other man employed. But both had been successful with their chosen way of doing things.

“We both know how much I love people owing me favors.”

“What’s the rumor about what else is there?”

“Parts, supplies, things like that. But the information about the parts is what’s really good. Supposedly, there are enough parts for six starfighters. I know you want fighters.” Nathan said. “Everything in the cache is old Clone Wars tech, Republic side, but even with taking that into consideration, that’s money you didn’t have before.” Nathan pulled out a small datacard. He slid it across the table. “That’s got the particulars.” He said. When the other reached for it, he pulled it back slightly. “I almost lost a relative for this.” Nathan added.

“Wouldn’t want a Bothan to die for some information.” The man said, rising after he took the datacard. “I appreciate the look out. Only the third time I’ve gotten to work with a Muir.”

Nathan Muir smiled. “Well, let’s hope that there’s a fourth.” He said. “You’ve got a reputation. Might want to work on that.”

“I’ll be fine. Thanks for the information, Nathan.”