Deep Chill

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Darth_Kirkin
I am Spartacus

Deep Chill

Post by Darth_Kirkin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:53 am

(OOC: This thread isn't completely closed so if you are interested in getting involved please let me know. I'm hoping for this to be more of a character piece than an action one so don't expect any imense battles or uber powerful characters beating the tar out of each other. I've not decided if I'll include batman or not but that's one character I'd be writing myself in this though).

It was a warm summers day and not a cloud in the sky. Most of the students at the university were outside sunning themselves and even some of the classes had moved outside to make the most of the good weather. All in all it was a good day for most, better for some.

The couple walked slowly through the mezzanine arm in arm laughing to themselves, their worlds no bigger than the space around them.

"... and don't ask me again, I told you it's a surprise and it'll remain a surprise until we get there," he said with a laugh.

Pouting she pushed him away and stomped her feet before laughing and grabbing onto his arm again.

"Fine, play mr mysterious then, just know that I hate you for this Victor."

Giving a mock aloof look they continued on through the mezzanine before coming into the swimming pool. Given the day it was fairly busy with recreational swimmers and the team practising in their usual roped off area. Leading her over to the stands he bid her sit down and walked over to the lifeguard and shook hands before whispering something to him. To anyone watching it closely enough they might have seen money change hands. As Victor walked back to the stands the lifeguard blew on a whistle and began ushering out the swimmers in a loud voice. The swim team coach walked over and began talking loudly with the other man but again there was a handshake and the coach walked away begrudgingly, clapping and getting his team out of the water.
* Beware the fury of a patient man.

* What's the point in being alive if you're not living?

* "But we can't be free, until we learn to laugh at ourselves. Once you look in the mirror and see just how foolish we can be, laughter is inevitable. And from laughter comes wisdom." - G'Kar, B5

Darth_Kirkin
I am Spartacus

Re: Deep Chill

Post by Darth_Kirkin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am

Leaning over to her he gave her a kiss on the cheek and set his backpack beside her with a smile. Reaching inside he pulled out a blindfold and hushing her with a grin and a shake of the head he wrapped it gently around her eyes, making sure she wasn't peeking and began to remove her shoes. She laughed as he gently slid them, running his fingers over her socks, sending tickles rippling through her body.

"Stop it Victor," she said with a laugh.

"Just relax Nora, it's not long now."

Reaching into his bag he pulled out a pair of ice skates and slid them onto her feet, making sure that they were tied tightly and put styrofoam guards on the blades to prevent them making any noise and giving the game away. Lifting the bag he walked down to the side of the pool and began lifting out several metal cases and set them around himself, opening them and setting out a few pieces of apparatus that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Star Trek movie. Putting it together it began to humm and gave off an eerie blue light and Victor smiled looking up at Nora who was humming gently to herself, a gleeful smile on her face much like a child at Christmas.

"You can take off the blindfold now Nora," he said with a laugh. Taking the device he attached it to the ladder going into the pool and pressed a button. The air around him shimmered for a moment before with a cracking sound the water in the pool began to ice up and freeze over. A clattering sound came from behind him and he turned just in time to catch Nora who was a little off balance and stop her from falling in. Her eyes were transfixed on the pool as the ice spread across the entire surface reaching the far side. The device's humm finished and he removed it from the ladder, setting it on the side.

"You always said you wanted to ice skate, now's your chance," he said and took her by the hand and stepped out onto the frozen surface of the pool drawing a gasp from her.

"Don't worry it's perfectly safe, I calibrated it to give us at least a foot of ice just keep a hold of my hand and it'll be all right."

"Aint no way in hell I'm letting go," she said her eyes wide as she stepped tenatively onto the ice as he stepped slowly back from her.

"Now the key is not to try to walk, if you do the natural movement of your feet will throw you over onto your face and we don't want that at all. Just... have you ever shuffled your feet on a carpet to try and generate static electricity to shock someone, just lean forward and slide your feet forward one at a time and push backward slightly with the other, nice.... and gently."

She shuffled slightly and nearly fell but he kept a strong arm on her. After about 15 minutes she was moving round at a gentle pace, still holding onto his arm with a vice like grip her face a picture of concentration. To him it was quite amusing as he stepped steadily along with her. She almost seemed to get it for a moment but the second he moved away from her she grabbed for him and thye both ended up falling together, landing hard on the ice. After the initial shock and pain of the landing they both laughed as he gently rose to his knees and began to help her up, but she kept sliding. Eventually she gave up and they knelt facing each other and smiling.

"I appreciate this, I really do. Not every day you get to go ice skating in the middle of summer."

"Consider it an early birthday present my dear," he said giving her a kiss but barely had their lips connected than the door to the pool opened.

"WHAT IN THE HELL..... FRIEZE!" A voice bellowed through the doors.

Smiling at her Victor rose to his feet and turned to greet the less than happy dean who was standing at the pools edge.

"OUT NOW, YOU," he said pointing to Nora, "MY OFFICE NOW!"

Nora hastilly scrambled to her feet and with Victors help made her way to the pools edge and took her skates off before grabbing her things and running out turning to give him a wink and a smile, the deans focus on Victor the entire time.

"Not only do I hear you're taking your experiments out of the lab, and using them on extremely expensive school property but bribing school officials as well?!? I don't care who your father is or how much he donates to the school this time you've gone too far."

Victor tried to move off the ice but the deans gaze kept locked on him.

"You're not walking away from this one Victor, you're really in it now," the man said bending over to pick up the freezing device. "And this, this is university property and you're treating it like it's your own toy."

"I did invent it dean and I am co-named on the patent for it..."

"Right now that's the only thing that's keeping me from expelling you on the spot, You're not leaving this building until it's been fixed and the pool's exactly the way it was before."

Turning on his heels the dean stormed off leaving Victor standing on the ice wishing the earth would just swallow the dean up for ruining what had been a perfect moment. Sighing he looked at the ice and shook his head and climbed out. Without the equipment he'd brought defrosting the pool and returning it to normal would be difficult in the extreme.

You're the genius, you figure it out, he muttered to himself.

* "But we can't be free, until we learn to laugh at ourselves. Once you look in the mirror and see just how foolish we can be, laughter is inevitable. And from laughter comes wisdom." - G'Kar, B5

Darth_Kirkin
I am Spartacus

Re: Deep Chill

Post by Darth_Kirkin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:45 am

Stamping on it hard, the ice did nothing except send a dull pain through his foot. Pulling his cell phone from his pocket he dialed the only person he knew would be able to help him.

"Yes it's me.... no I don't.... listen I don't always ring you to ask for something... I need a favour.... yes I need you to bring that exothermic stuff you've been working on... well you'll see when you get here....thanks."

Hanging up he sat himself on the edge of the pool, his feet resting on the ice and a few minutes later a slightly exhausted looking guy burst through the doors carrying a rucksack. They stopped dead and laughed, setting the bag down carefully.

"Boy you've really done it this time Victor, how the hell did you pull this off?"

"It's been my little pet project for a while, and I.... well I just wanted to impress Nora," he said with a slight shrug.

"Well I can think of better ways than freezing the pool solid, but I got what you asked for. You owe me big time for this."

Reaching into his bag he removed a metal canister with a skull and cross bones on it and set it next to the pools edge. Out from the bag came a small cap and hose with a spray nozzle on the end which was promptly screwed onto the canister.

"I'll do the spraying just stand well clear, this stuff doesn't react to biological matter."

Slipping on a breathing mask and a very thick leather glove he began walking around the pool spraying a fine orange mist over the ice, which immediately began to bubble and shake before dissolving into an almost powderlike state, settling on the surface of the water for a moment before dissapearing. It took him only one lap of the pool to spray and by the time he was back by his backpack the pool was bubbling slightly but otherwise ice free.

Darth_Kirkin
I am Spartacus

Post by Darth_Kirkin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 am

"It'll take a few hours for the chemicals to disipate but I'm outta here, consider that favour called in Victor," he said with a chuckle and turned taking his gear with him.

"I owe you Bruce," he called after the man. He almost dipped a finger into the water but thought the better of it and headed in to give the pool guy a heads up. Fortunately with the $300 he'd given the guy, & the fact he preferred it quiet around the pool, keeping it clear for a further couple of hours wouldn't be much of a problem.

It was doubtful the Dean would go public with all of it, more likely keep it as tight as possible. He couldn't expell Victor, even as much as he'd liked to. Victors father had powerful friends who were too valuable to the university to risk alienating them or their rather valuable contributions.

Heading out into the sunshine and warmth he shook his head and headed towards the Deans office. Nora would probably be getting a good talking too. While Victor and she had been dating for a good while now, she wasn't anywhere near as connected as him and so more prone to being the target and often used to punish Victor.

The Deans office was at the far corner of the university campus, in a quaint turn of the century cottage style building set into the main entryway of the campus itself. The main doors to it led out to the front grounds of the university, with expansive lawns and sculpted gardens showing off the prestigious Gotham University. He'd been there a couple of times before, having been called up on several dangerous experiments he'd gotten involved in over the years. But this wasn't like the other times.

Walking up to the Deans office he was greeted by the sight of the Deans secretary outside having a smoke. She caught sight of Victor and seemed to tense up, a momentary look of concern crossing her face but before she had the chance to speak he moved past her into the office a sense of something ominous creeping over him, he climbed the brief stair case and heard a crashing sound.

The door to the office was locked.

Panick now began to creep over him as he tried the door again, and again, beating his fist against it.

He could hear muffled cries of fear, female cries and his panick reached fever pitch. Backing up he charged the door, but the solid door held fast. He tried again but to no avail. Cellphone he thought and dialled straight away.

"Bruce.. shut up.. just shut the fuck bruce, deans office now... he's hurting Nora, god knows what's happening in there I need your help please..."

Hanging up he tried the door once more, the cries continuing along with the sound of objects crashing to the ground. Footsteps pounding up the stairs behind drew his attention as his friend came up behind him.

"I got here as quick as possible, they in there," he asked and Victor could only nod, his fists clenched.

Reaching into his pocket Bruce produced a small leather pouch and proceeded to pick the lock.

"Where'd you learn how to do that," Victor asked curiously.

"Here and there..... and got it."

With a click the lock opened and Victor swung the door open as hard as he could and stopped cold.

On the table Nora lay on her back, her shirt open & her bra shoved out of place, her breasts visible and her skirt pushed up. The dean was standing, his trousers around his ankles and had stopped moving, turning to look at the two young men who had burst in.

The world seemed to pause for a moment, the only sound he could hear was his breathing. Only Bruce seemed to react and put his hand on Victors shoulder.

"Easy Vic, don't do anything stupid."

Had he just been told the winning lottery numbers he still wouldn't have cared, the sight before him burning into his memory, a feeling like the bottom had just fallen out of his stomach spreading rapidly.

The dean seemed to realise the position he was in and stepped back from Nora, pulling his pants and boxers up and began fixing himself.

"What the fuck do you think you're staring at Victor? You've just broken into the office of the Dean, your friends won't be any help to you this time, even if they are the famous Bruce Wayne," he said with a sneer.

"We're not the one's engaged in rape Dean, how long do you think you'll keep your job for when word gets out."

"Words not going anywhere, do you think I'd be stupid enough to rape someone in my own office? This is entirely consensual and you've no evidence to the contrary. Leave the detective work to the police boy. Go on tell them," he spat turning to Nora.

Nora had pulled herself away from the Dean, a shellshocked expression on her face holding her clothes against her, trying to cover herself, not able or willing to look up at Victor who was frozen on the spot, looking between her and the Dean.

"I... he..." she mumbled hesitatantly, tears beading at the corners of her eyes. "You'd have lost everything Victor, I couldn't let that happen." She had barely finished speaking before she started crying softly, shivering.

"Stupid slut," the dean spat and turned to the boys but Victor was already on him. He'd picked up the first thing that came to hand and swung it. It just happened to be the equipment he'd used to freeze the pool. The metal casing caught the dean on the jaw sending him flying back against the book case.

"Don't EVER call her that you bastard," he yelled, gripping the device until his knuckles turned white. A hand caught his shoulder and he turned shoving Bruce away. "He's got this coming to him Bruce, scum like this deserve it."

"No, this will only make things worse, let the police handle it."

"Fuck the police, you think someone like him doesn't have connections that he won't get some way out of this? No this ends now."

He raised his hand ready to hit the dean again who by now was looking up at him with an expression of contempt but he could see the fear in the mans eyes.

"Vi..victor... please.... don't....."

The sorrow and pleading in her voice broke and he turned to her, the device dropping to his side.

"Just don't please..." Dropping the device to the ground he walked over to her still not sure what to think, or feel.

Bruce was still in the background watching but said nothing.

"Nora... are you..."

She nodded slowly, trying to gather her clothes around her as she stood to her feet, tear stains down her face.

"He said I'd loose everything... that you'd loose everything...."

"Ssshh it's alright you're safe now. Get dressed, we're leaving. Bruce?"

Victor turned just in time to see a silver blur come at him before it all went black. The last thing he heard was a shout, a scream closely followed by a crash.