Nowhere Bound: This Travesty We Call the Past

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Re: Nowhere Bound: This Travesty We Call the Past

Post by Starlight » Sun May 17, 2009 6:10 pm

“Actually I couldn’t imagine being happier on a luxury yacht-cruiser than I am aboard the Dream Chaser,” Marina replied with the first hints of ice frosting her voice. It was more than apparent to her that even after Suiun’s fall from grace, the man was arrogant as ever.

Feeling Serenity’s distress rise by the moment, Marina thought that it was more than time to return to the ship. And damn the man for spoiling the last of their shore-leave.

“Serenity does have a point,” she continued before Suiun could pontificate on Riddle or his crew further. “It’s more than time for us to get back to the others.” She took her friend by the elbow, began steering back toward the docking berth. “Enjoy the rest of your afternoon, Suiun.”
My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder,
He carries me away from all my fears;
And when the world threatens to fall asunder,
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
~Bonnie Lewis

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sun May 17, 2009 7:58 pm

"Wait." Shuin reached out and touched Marina lightly on the arm, not daring to actually grab her. "Marina, please. It was wrong of me to speak ill of your friends, and for that I apologize. I was mad at Tehran for a long time, but now I understand why he did what he did. Please do not turn your back on me so quickly as so many others have..." Shuin's eyes met Marina's, trying hard to convey his sincerity to her. "I may not be a man of great means any more, but I have learned a lot from my experiences, and I feel that my side of the story still remains untold. Won't you at least grace me with one meal and give me the chance that others were too proud to give?"

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Mon May 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Marina hesitated, a refusal hovering on the tip of her tongue. Warning klaxons sounded in the back of her mind, urging her not to believe the sincerity so plainly written behind Shuin's eyes. Yet... How could she, as a Wordweaver, decline to hear a story once offered? It was her duty, her oath, her calling, to hear and record, to listen and scribe.

Shoving the misgivings aside, the lady finally nodded once. "I will listen, Shuin. Meet me at the Terraza Gardens in a half-hour." She discreetly but firmly shook his hand from her sleeve. "Now if you'll excuse us, I promised Serenity a tour of the bazaar before we returned to our ship."
~Bonnie Lewis

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 pm

Shuin smiled in obvious relief, letting himself back pedal a step or two.

"Thank you, mistress Marina. You will not regret it." He gave a half bow, standing his ground until Marina had led Serenity out of his field of view. A half an hour. It wasn't much time, but it would have to be enough.

Turning away, he slipped back into the crowd.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 pm

Serenity was too busy to notice the man leave. Instead she was puzzling over something he said, something she didn't quite understand. She ran it through her head again and again but she just couldn't make heads or tails of it. Just what could it possibly mean? Finally she gave a gentle tug on Marina's sleeve and glanced up at her.

"Marina, what's a flotsam," she asked, tilting her head to the side as was her usual custom.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Mon May 25, 2009 7:21 pm

"I'm headed towards Seraya," Kirei said in reply. Curiosity flashed across the man's face, and the Tahreen explained, "It's to visit some old acquaintances." Seraya was nestled on the borders of the Jentali Empire, and was home to a very sensual race that was well known for its artistic and pleasure-central pursuits. The curiosity turned to suspicion, though, so Kirei brushed the line of conversation away. "How long have you been with the Captain?" he asked. "He seems a rather wary man."

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Mon May 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Swinging a companionable arm around Serenity's shoulder, Marina led them towards one of the booths. "My dear, if you looked up the definition of 'flotsom' in a database, you would see a picture of Shuin."

The vendor Marina sought was a rather outlandish one, with red cloth drapes and a display stand covered in swaths of synthetic silk fabric. Crammed everywhere were bottles of every shape and size, colored in a dazzling array and holding dozens and dozens of different scents. The scribe was certain that they could find something fiendishly appropriate for Rhys.

"Not to worry, Serenity. Shuin's days of being intimidating are long passed and you can thank Captain Riddle for being the one who toppled the first domino. Here," she held up an odd-shaped bottle in cobalt blue. "See if you think Rhys might like this one."
~Bonnie Lewis

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue May 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Serenity held the bottle under her nose and sniffed at it. The smell was a bit too strong for her tastes and she wrinkled her nose at it then shook her head. "Maybe not that one," she said as she handed it back.

She turned to look at the assorted bottles on the stand before her and was almost hesitant to ask her next question but ultimately decided that it needed to be said. "Marina, are you really going to meet with that man again?"

Marina, who had busied herself with inspecting another bottle of perfume, nodded in response.

"Not alone, are you," Serenity continued and in an instant her face went from jolly to serious which Marina thought may have been a first for her. She didn't like the idea of Marina and Shuin being alone together and was worried that the man would try to do something to her like he did with Tay. She knew Marina could handle herself pretty well but she wasn't a fighter, not like Tay or Brennan, but then again neither was she. Still, though, she'd feel more comfortable if Marina had someone else with her even if she couldn't be of any help.

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Fri May 29, 2009 1:57 pm

"Of course, alone. Here, this one might be better."

She popped open the stopper on a clear bottle, delicately inhaled some of the pale gold liquid and caught some hints of spice and sandalwood. "Actually, Serenity. You might like this one for yourself."

Expertly turning the topic away from Shuin and their pending meeting, Marina kept her friend occupied for a few minutes longer. In the end, three bottles of scent were purchased each clad in a protective sleeve of dove-gray velvet and tied shut with a black draw-string cord. She judged the time, thought there was just enough bring Serenity back to the ship and backtrack toward the gardens.

"Don't worry yourself, little one. I have my emergency comm with me should anything go terribly wrong. I'll be there and back before anyone notices I've left."
~Bonnie Lewis

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri May 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Serenity felt a little bit better by that but not quite. She was still worried that Shuin would try something but as long as Marina was confident then she could be too. "Okay," she said finally, "but if Shuin tries anything I'll bite him--like, really hard. If you don't come back then I'll have to talk about girl stuff with Rhys and I'm not sure he'll enjoy that as much as you do."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sun May 31, 2009 9:16 pm

It wasn't long before the two girls arrived back at the ship. Marina made sure Serenity was safely on board, but she did not enter the ship herself. She assured Serenity she would be back soon and that she would call if anything happened. Still feeling a little unsure of the situation but much better thanks to Marina's assurances, Serenity waved to her with a smile then turned and entered the ship. She wanted to hurry over to Rhys and give him the perfume she and Marina had bought for him, but when she found him talking to the stranger with the red eyes she faltered.

Instead she quietly slipped passed them, deliberately avoiding eye contact with the stranger as she made her way through the ship until she found Captain Riddle. "Hi, Tay," she said excitedly when she entered the room, "Marina and I had a lot of fun!"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:22 pm

A ship like the Dream Chaser was full of surprises, and as her captain, Tehran had gotten quite good at being surprised. Being good at it did not make it any easier, however.

Tay had left the two men to get acquainted, stepping up to the cockpit so that he could begin his preflight routines. It was here that he found his surprise. It was one of the Automated Repair Bots, quite busy cutting a hole in the decking of the floor. It wasn't really a hole, to be fair. It was more like... an engraving. A design or pattern that Tay didn't recognize.

For a moment, he just stared at the machine, hard at work on his floor. Finally, he stepped over to one of the air vents, thumping it loudly. "Serenity! Why is there an ARB cutting a hole in my floor?!" He hollered down the vent, listening for a moment for a reply. When none came, he banged again. "Serenity!"

Finally, he remembered that she had left the ship with Marina. Mumbling a carefully selected set of profanities and curses to himself, Tay stepped up behind the two foot high bot, popping the covering off of the back and yanking the fuse out with a zap of sparks. The machine squealed in what sounded like pain, and fell still.

Theoretically, the two ARBs aboard the ship were supposed to help the mechanic. They were supposed to respond to voice commands, be intelligent but personality-less, and do what they were told, nothing more nothing less. This was all in theory.

In practicality, the two ARBs were more like pets. As far as Tay knew, they did help Serenity out with repairs, but when they weren't helping her, they just seemed to wander around and do whatever it was they felt like. Serenity had made some modifications to them, so Tay didn't know the first thing about what they were supposed to be doing or why. Serenity seemed to think that they were cute or something, so she tended to just let them run amok. That would just have to wait until Serenity returned.

Stepping around the new series of holes and channels cut in the decking, Tay flopped down in the pilot seat. Without even a thought about the preflight he had come up to run, he put his feet up on the ship's console, and was asleep in seconds.

Serenity's irrepressible cheerfulness startled Tay out of his impromptu nap, causing a rather swift leap to his feet.

"Snark it, Serenity," he barked irritably, mostly over being woken up, but he quickly deferred that to something more deserving of his ire. "Why was there an ARB cutting a flippin' design in the deck of my cockpit? Don't you have enough trouble keeping this craft underway without something actively ripping it apart?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:52 pm

"He was what," Serenity asked, glancing at the holes cut into the decking. "Aw, that's so cu--," she started to say when she caught the look from Tay, "Right, cutting holes in the deck is bad."

She bent down and looked at the poor ARB, noting the pulled fuse. She reinserted it and the robot started up and went right back to cutting. "Hey now, you stop that," Serenity ordered him, but the ARB ignored her. "Hey, I said stop!"

Still the robot kept cutting until finally Serenity pulled the fuse again. She straightened up and gave Tay an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Captain, I don't know what got into him. I'll need to take him down to the lower deck to examine him, where's Brennan?"

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Orpheus stepped up next to the runner and the flirt. "The captain is a wary man," he said before Rhys could respond, "Of just about everything and everyone." He smirked. "I'm fairly certain it's one of things that has kept him alive so long."

That was when Marina and Serenity returned from their stroll; Orpheus thought he caught the Tahreen giving Serenity another look, but was not sure. The soldier had not liked the first glance the Jentali had sent Serenity's way; the girl was dear to all of them, in an odd sort of way, even to Orpheus and Rhys. But that was not the most intriguing thing about their return: within moments of their arrival, Marina turned and left the area of the ship again. Orpheus entertained the idea of following her; it was odd activity for her not to explain herself before departing, but it was well within her rights as a paying passenger and as a Wordweaver. Besides, he had orders to watch Kirei.

And watch he would.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:53 pm

"Brenan's somewhere." The captain replied irritably and rather unhelpfully. "Probably down with our new guest. And get something to patch up these holes before I twist an ankle." Exhaling deeply, Tehran sat back down heavily in the pilot's chair. "Oh, and while you're down there, let everyone know we'll be lifting off soon, now that you and Marina are back."

Tay flipped the ship's generator on to Stand-By, causing a quite noticeable shudder to run through the ship. Next, he cranked on the ship's onboard computer. This was always an adventure, when the craft had been out of standby more than a day.

The computer interface flickered to life.

Dream Chaser internal diagnostics.

93 Problems Reported.
79 Problems Resolved.
20 Problems Unresolved.

Start up unsuccessful. Reinitializing. . . .
Reinitialization successful.

196/210 Systems Optimal.

System Waiting.

Tehran exhaled slowly. This was actually a good day. Even though the Dream Chaser's math left something to be desired, he couldn't help but feel relieved that there weren't more problems reported. In truth, most of those "problems" were simply fixes that Serenity had done that the computer didn't know what to make of. As long as the ship flew like it was supposed to, Tehran didn't complain.

Flipping the pre-flight check over to automatic, Tay moved over to the navigation chair and began working on a course to take them to their new destination.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:04 pm

"Marina isn't back yet," Serenity said as she tried to get some leverage on the ARB. She had her arms wrapped around it and with a great heave she tried to lift it off the deck with no success. The darn thing didn't even budge it was so heavy. She tried to push the bot but without power going through its systems its motorized wheels were locked in place and it took a great deal of effort just to barely move it an inch.

"She said she was going to go listen to Shuin's story and then she was going to be right back, but don't worry she's got her comm on her and she said she'd call if something happened," the girl explained. Then she straightened up and wiped her brow, frowning at the ARB. "I think I'm going to go find Brennan now."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:13 pm

"Whoa, whoa, whoa...." Tay reached out and caught Serenity's narrow wrist to keep her from walking away. "What do you mean she's going to hear Shuin's side of the story? You ran into Shuin Melchor? And didn't think it was worth mentioning to me? Where did they go?" While he spoke, he stepped over to the ship's intercom unit, and picked up the handset.

"I'm going to need everyone up in the rec room in two minutes." He said simply, then turned the device off, rotating back to face Serenity. "Where, Serenity, where?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Serenity was taken completely by surprise by Tay's actions and as she looked at him she had almost a fearful expression on her face. "Did I do something bad," she asked in a small voice.

Tay gave her a hard look. "Serenity, focus," he said firmly.

Serenity tried to answer but she kept stumbling over her words, "They, um... They went to, um... She said, um..."

Tay reached down and grasped her by the shoulders, looking her straight in the eye. "Today, Serenity."

"Terraza Gardens," she cried, finally able to get it out, "They went to Terraza Gardens."

Tay nodded then turned to hurry from the room, but Serenity caught his wrist causing him to stop and look back at her. The girl still had an uncertain look on her face and she was now very worried about Marina. "We're going to find her, right," she asked him, almost on the verge of tears.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Tay stopped in mid-stride. It would have probably been an exaggeration to say that Tay was an overly sensitive and caring person. In fact, most people probably found him abrasive and unsympathetic, but there were exceptions to this rule.

Heaving a sigh, he turned, catching Serenity with one hand on each side of her lithe shoulders. "Listen pup," he started, staring down intently into her gray eyes, which were busy twinkling with tears. "This is not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. Marina's a big girl, and she can take care of herself. In fact, she's probably going to give me hell for what I'm going to do. But this Shuin bastard, he's not to be trusted. I don't know why Marina would even think to go to meet with him." Tay fumed to himself a moment, than turned and continued on towards the rec room.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Kirei watched the mutant slip away, and he knew she was avoiding him. He mentally cursed himself as he realized she must have caught his attitude towards her. To alienate a crew member of the ship was a serious mistake, and something he would have liked to avoid. He nodded towards Orpheus. "Caution is certainly a good trait to have, especially in a galaxy as volatile as this one." Further conversation was cut off with the captain's voice. The Tahreen shrugged. "And it appears the Captain wishes our presence. Shall we?"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:29 pm

By the time Tehran made it to the rec room, Serenity in tow, everyone else was there. Tay nodded to each of them briefly, including their new passenger/guest. He didn't bother with small talk.

"We have a little situation. Apparently someone I had the misfortune of crossing paths with as made an untimely reappearance. For whatever reason, Marina thought it would be a good idea to go have a dinner date with this guy, which is bad news. I wouldn't trust him anywhere but at the end of my barrel, and this guy seems to have taken quite a shining to Marina. For those of you who aren't good at math, this adds up to trouble." Tay's cold eyes flicked to each person in turn, cataloging their range of reactions: everything from mild amusement to concern.

"So, here's the story. Orpheus, you're with me; we're going to go scoop up Marina. Tulron, you don't seem to have made many friends in this part, so you'll stay here. Ditto for you on the staying, Serenity. Rhys...." Tay fixed his gaze on the younger man for a moment before he finally spoke. "Rhys, you're staying here too, to keep an eye on things. You're in charge, but only in the sense that I'll blame you if something goes wrong."

Rhys tried out one of his most reassuring smiles. Tay pushed on before he could speak, however.

"Okay. Orpheus, better lock and load. I don't know what state Shuin is in these days, but he is a big fan of messy weapons and brute force. Serenity, I want this ship ready to be airborne the moment we're back. Any questions?"

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:45 pm

It didn't make any sense for someone to harass a Wordweaver. Members of that order were given special privileges by all the ruling entities of the galaxy, and trifling with them always invited trouble. The why, however, wasn't Kirei's concern. Getting to Seraya was, and the best way to do that was to resolve this situation as quickly as possible.

"Captain," the Inquisitor said, "I have combat experience, and can act in a reserve position if you so desire. Keep us posted on your position, and I can be ready to move if needed."

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:30 am

Orpheus did not ask any questions, and he did not wait for anyone else to ask any, either. Orpheus was used to two kinds of mission briefings: the kind that explained everything and needed no extra questions, and the kind that explained nothing and demanded no extra questions. So Orpheus never asked questions. He just obeyed - which made him an excellent soldier, which was why he cost more than the average mercenary.

But that was not to say that he did not continue to think about mission situations, whether he was supposed to or not. Even a stupid merc knew that it was a bad idea to dive into a situation purely for the sake of the money without considering the history and possible future of the situation. Orpheus had heard scant mention of Shuin from the other members of the crew, and he had not asked, but what he had heard led him to believe that the man was formerly a well-to-do noble who hired Tay for some purpose - and things went south. Since Tay was not dead, Orpheus figured that Shuin had gotten the raw end of the deal from the situation, which meant that he was probably still sore from the whole ordeal.

And if he was still well-to-do, then firepower would be a must. Especially if what Tay had said about him was true.

So Orpheus left the captain talking to the Tahreen and went to his own room, where he set aside his normal pistol and pulled off his jacket. He quickly donned his suit of armor - an easier process than it had been in his early days as a soldier, before automated locking systems were added around the joints. Then he grabbed a shotgun and slung it across his back, should worse come to worst, and slid a heavier pistol into his holster for both appearances and power if - or when - the time came.

Within two minutes of being ordered, he was in the cargo bay, next to the door, ready to go get Marina.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Tay nodded to Kirei. "Alright, consider yourself on standby. I don't think it will come to a fight, though. The Shuin I knew was a coward and would only want to fight if he had the numbers to back him up. We should be able to get he drop on him and wrap this up tidily. With any luck." Not that Tay was ever one to trust his own dismal luck, but he was at least confident that Shuin would opt for the easy way out over fighting. The brat had never worked hard in his life, and Tay highly doubted he was going to start now.

Seeing Orpheus headed towards the cargo bay, bedecked the tools of his livery, Tay nodded to those remaining behind. "Stay frosty. We'll be back soon."
Last edited by Xalsin on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Serenity stood hesitantly in the corner of the room, glancing first at Rhys and then at the Tahreen with an uncertain look on her face. When she couldn't take it anymore she hurried from the room and rushed into the cockpit hoping the red-eyed man would stay where he was. When she first saw him he looked like he wanted to hurt her and she had a very distinct dislike of being hurt. As she ran the pre-flight checks and began prepping the ship for take off she kept wishing that Tay had brought Kirei with him. She didn't like being this close to the man and she hoped Tay, Brennan and Marina would come back soon.

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:38 am

Rhys listened intently as the Captain spelled out his plan. He nodded and gave Tay a reassuring smile but on the inside Rhys wasn't too happy about staying behind. He wasn't nearly as close to Marina as he was to Serenity and the Captain, but she was still a part of their Crew; a part of their Family. His darkened brown eyes watched Tay and Orpheous depart and resigned himself to the duty he'd been assigned. Gaurd the base and make sure things were ready for their return.

He watched with a concerned wrinkling of his brow as Serenity all but fled the room. Something wasn't quite right with the pup. He glanced over at the newcomer and offered up a nonchalant shrug. "Captain Severus. Rings well if you ask me. Course, no one ever does." He chuckled lightly to himself, mostly for show, then shoved off the bulkhead he'd been holding up and trailed after Serenity.

He found her in the cockpit studying what he could only describe as newly cut glyphs on the deck. He approached quietly cocked his head a bit to the side, studying her. "Whats the matter, Tesoro?" He asked.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C. S. Lewis

"And for one last instance, I'm Human again." - Sergeant Ghost

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Serenity had busied herself with welding steel plates into the floor to cover the holes carved out by the ARB. She almost didn't notice when Rhys walked in but her hyper-sensitive hearing was able to pick up the sound of his footsteps over the flare of her welding torch. Also, she was still able to smell the perfume he wore so even if she somehow missed his footsteps his peculiar scent would have tipped her off to his presence.

"It's the red-eyed man," she answered finally, "I don't like him."

Rhys had a puzzled look on his face, he assumed she was talking about the newcomer but the description didn't fit. "Aren't his eyes green?"

"Not when he looks at me," she explained, "His face gets scary when he looks at me."

Her tiny body shivered slightly as she remembered the look Kirei had given her and for once she was actually glad to have the welding mask covering her face. She imagined she must look so pale right now just thinking about it. She shook the image from her head and tried to think about something else, that's when she remembered something. She stopped her welding and flipped the mask up then shot her feet with a sudden grin.

Rhys had looked like he was about to respond but Serenity's eagerness cut him off. "Oh! I just remembered," she said, reaching into her pocket for the bottle of perfume she and Marina had bought for Rhys and handed it to him. "Marina and I thought you might like this so we bought you some."

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 am

Rhys took the grey velvet pouch from Serenity with a puzzled expression painted across his features. "For me?" He asked, pulling at the drawstring and slowly exposing the container held within. His features quickly morphed from puzzled to bemused as he recognized the item as a bottle of perfume. He raised a dark brown eyebrow in Serenity's direction as he pulled the stopper and took a sniff of the fragrance.

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't fruity or flowerey as he'd fearfully expected. It was very much a scent Rhys felt he easily wear without ridicule. He placed the stopper back and re-tied the velvet pouch around the bottle before sliding it into his pocket.

"It's perfect, Tesoro. Very thoughtful of you." He replied with an easy smile. He was sure Marina did and still would get loads of amusement out of it, but he knew Serenity knew nothing of the sarcasm involved. And Rhys really was greatefull to have a friend and ally aboard the ship. "What, if you don't mind my askin', happened in here?" He shifted the subject away from both the perfume and of the newcomer, noticing just how antsy the fella made poor Serenity.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C. S. Lewis

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:29 am

"So you really didn't have any idea of the contents in those shipping boxes?"

The expression on Marina's flawless face gave away nothing but the mask of polite interest that was a standard tool for any WordWeaver. Her slender brow arched in inquiry, inviting Shuin to continue without passing her judgment. It was not a Weaver's place to opine on the stories, merely to record and retain.

Terrazza Garden was almost empty at the moment. Only a few pedestrians traversed the paths on occasion, either singly or in couples. It was a serene place, welcoming and open to those who wished to pass a quiet moment in contemplation or relaxation. She had walked the paths with Shuin as he began his version of the events but eventually the pair settled on a quaint little wooden bench with twists of metal winding like vines across the back and down the legs.

Shuin's response to the question was an almost an incredulous look, followed by a slow shake of his head. "You have to understand my indebtedness to Duke Maldrin- I believe you danced with him at the Quicksilver Festival on Aquaceius, did you not? Anyway, I owe Duke Maldrin a great deal. On a hunting safari, Duke Maldrin saved my life. Oh, now that's a story worthy of your annals. Perhaps you'd like to hear about it?"

Marina's face was less than encouraging on this point. "The crates, Shuin?" she prodded.

Shuin exhaled as if disappointed to not get to share his great safari story. "When the great Duke Maldrin asks me for this favor, to oversee the transfer of some cargo to Summek space, it's not my place to ask what was in it. If I had known there was slaver equipment in it... I would have been appalled! To think, the great Duke Maldrin involved with something so abased and vile!" He shook his head. "In a way, I suppose I'm a bit glad that the blame fell to me. Not that I think it should have, mind you. But imagine the horrible scandal and maybe even revolt that could have happened in his dukedom if this came to light. And the Monarchy would have been none too happy either."

"Yes, I can only imagine." By the stars, the man certainly knew how to twist things around to his favor. It took all Marina's power not to roll her eyes. She would give him another five minutes and then it was back to the ship. If luck was with her - doubtful - she could be back to the ship and Riddle would be none the wiser. Unless Serenity happened to mention it... In which case, she would be walking back to a scandal greater than any Maldrin's dukedom might have faced.

Never one to back down from butting heads with the obdurate Captain Riddle, she almost looked forward to the argument.

And, as it turned out, she didn't really have to look that far forward.

Shuin's face went through a parade of expressions when he caught sight of Riddle, plowing through the loose crowds of the Terrace like a thunderbolt at the head of a storm. It was a look of surprise, fear, anger, hatred, suspicion, and perhaps even a pinch of envy all rolled into one. Shuin tried all of these expressions before finally just settling with a scowl.

Tay was by no means a big man, but he had an intensity that seemed to make people uncomfortable, and it was obvious that Shuin fell into the "uncomfortable" category right about now. For a second, Tay thought he might just up and bolt from the table, but the other man didn't, although he made several targeting glances towards escape routes. Instead, Shuin managed to force himself to relax a little bit, and had even managed to get something of a guarded smile on his face by the time Tay had reached the table, Orpheus riding at his side like an enforcer.

"Captain Riddle." Apparently, Shuin had decided that diplomacy was the way to go. "It's been a-"

"Leave. Now." Tehran was in the process of using his eyes to hollow out Shuin's head. Ah, if only things were that simple, but against Tay's best wishes, Shuin's head innards remained in their thick shell. "I'm not going to count, pug. Leave now, or me and my friends start cracking bones."

Shuin fidgeted in his chair, glancing first at Orpheus, then to Marina to see if she would lend any support.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Serenity directed her eyes to the floor where some of the carvings could still be seen. "Oh, those," she said with a big smile then she gestured to the deactivated ARB, "He did that. I think he was drawing, or something."

She affectionately ran her hand along the side of what one could only assume was the ARB's "face". "Tay didn't like his drawing, though, he wanted me to cover it up before he twisted his ankle... Or, at least I think that's what he said."

"Sounds like Riddle," Rhys agreed.

Serenity wasn't really paying attention though as she knelt next to the robot to look into its single eye. She was deep in thought about something and when she found her answer her ears twitched excitedly. "I know! I could teach him how to draw on paper so Tay doesn't have to get so angry," she exclaimed. The wolf had a smug expression on her face, proud of herself for having solved her dilemma and her tail swished back and forth approvingly but not long after something occurred to her that nearly ruined her excitement.

"Though, I guess he doesn't have the hands for that," she admitted sullenly and her ears drooped a bit before they suddenly sprang back up again as she slammed the bottom of her fist into her palm. "Hey, what if I build him some hands," she asked Rhys, then she glanced back over her shoulder at him and added, "I could probably do that, right? What do you think?"

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Marina didn't spare a micron of attention for Shuin. Her gaze, cool and sharp as a surgeon's scalpal, was currently fixed on Riddle. It was one thing for her to spar with him after returning to the ship. It was quite another entirely to have him barge in on her affairs while on leave. Marina didn't believe a word of Shuin's story, or would she lift a finger to help him. But this insufferable interruption was not to be borne.

"Why Captain Riddle," she interrupted with a smile that glittered like a dagger's edge and the tones of a displeased royal. "Out for an afternoon stroll with the troops, I see. How charming. I'm afraid you'll have to excuse us, however, as this is a private conversation. Do enjoy the sight-seeing and I highly recommend the market faire."
~Bonnie Lewis

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:50 pm

For a moment, Riddle's face was passive and blank, as if perplexed at the reaction he was getting from Marina. In truth, he wasn't terribly surprised, and under normal circumstances, he would have acquiesced with minimal witty comments, this was a little different. Shuin was a dandy, or a former dandy, but he possessed a trait that Riddle respected due to its dangerousness: egocentricity. Shuin was the sort of person who was indifferent to the feelings of others, because he loved himself that much more. So while Marina might have been willing to dabble with whatever sort of fire he was burning, Riddle was not about to let her get herself in trouble. Agreements or no, Marina was a passenger of his ship, ergo his responsibility.

And if that alone hadn't been enough, the expression on Shuin's face would have concreted the deal for him.

"Right." Riddle turned to Orpheus, sarcasm lacing his voice. "Well, it looks like her majesty is too busy with her pet project to talk with us right now, so I guess we'll just go to lunch." Grabbing one of the near by tables, Riddle dragged it over so that it was a mere foot from where Marina was sitting. "You'll excuse me if I don't speak to you, mistress Marina, I wouldn't want to interrupt your private conversation... I was actually having one myself." Tey continued to glare stoically at Shuin. "In case I didn't make myself clear, you need to leave. Now."

Shuin looked uncertain at best. Uncertain as to whether or not he should try to capitalize on the obvious tension between Marina and Tehran, or play the martyr and just leave. His desire for Marina was such that he couldn't just leave. Certainly not after the humiliation of having Tehran chase him off. No, he had a different sort of plan in mind.

"This isn't over, Riddle. You think you can take the high ground and run everyone else's affairs, but you're wrong." Shuin growled, then left after giving Marina an almost apologetic look.

Riddle gave the man a half smile. "This is over, Shuin. try not to lose sleep over it."

Once Shuin was gone, Riddle turned first to Orpheus. "Keep an eye on him, would you? Give a shout if he looks like he's getting up to no good." Tay then turned his attention to Marina who, underneath her glacial calm exterior, Riddle guessed was steaming mad. For some reason, she always was mad when he showed up at any of her interviews. "Well, I can see that you're just bursting at the seams to defend him from the big, bad bully. So out with it then."

Shuin had a much different plan in mind. Marina obviously hadn't been wooed by his tale of heroic sacrifice, so he he resolved that if he could not woo her into coming with him, he would compel her.

Pulling out his comm, he quickly dialed up his associates and traveling partners. "I need a favor, and quick." He was speaking to a man called Snitch, a leader of sorts of a band of mercenaries. They were low grade folk, but they were cheap and Shuin's loyal retainers, so that was good enough for him. "A captain Riddle has a ship docked somewhere near by. It won't be hard to find, just look for the biggest scrap pile on the landing pad. I need you to scope it out, and make sure no one leaves and enters it. You might have to take it, but just wait for my word. Just watch it for now." He explained to the man, then hung up quickly. If he could gather a few more people, he just might be able to pull this off...

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:39 pm

"I have no interest or intention of defending Shuin to anyone, Captain," Marina replied. Her voice was viciously polite and fairly dripped with honeyed venom. "And although I hate being redundant I will point out to you, again, that my affairs are not - nor have they ever been - any of your concern. I will also remind you, since your memory seems to have more holes in it than a colander, that interfering with a Wordweaver can bring all manners of unpleasant repercussions. To yourself and any who have the misfortune to follow your half-cocked, ill-conceived, ego-ridden displays of bravado and machismo that are nothing more than glorified pissing contests that wouldn't even impress a drunken tavern doxy."

With that, Marina rose from her seat and smoothed down the front of her robe. Her eyes flashed with irritation, an emotion that only Riddle could so easily bring to the surface. And he did so with annoying frequency. "And now that my business has been so unceremoniously concluded, I will be returning to the ship." Color riding high in her cheeks, the scribe spun gracefully on her heel and strode away.
~Bonnie Lewis

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Rhys gave her a mild chuckle as he leaned against the console behind him. If it was one thing he envied her, it was that short attention span. No matter how sad or rattled she might get, she could be giddy as a spryte the very next minute. He crossed his arms in front of him and wore a faked expression of seriousness.

"I think first things first, lil one. And that would mean making sure this floors patched up somethin' proper before Ol' Man Riddle gets back here and blames me for his twisted ankle. Hows that sound?" He couldn't quite contain his smirk, and tilted his head to the left slightly. "Anything I can help you with to get it done?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:53 pm

"Actually, there is," Serenity said excitedly as she stood up and turned to look at him. She was going to say more when something strange caught her attention out of the corner of her eye. She looked out the front view port of the ship and saw several men with guns moving into positons around the Dream Chaser. "Um, Rhys? Are they supposed to be doing that," she asked, gesturing towards the view port.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:06 pm

"Doing what?" Rhys responded unconcernedly as he casually pushed off of the console to move closer to the front of the cockpit to investigate what he was sure was just another shiny something or other that was catching her ever curious eye. His eyes, however, were the ones to bulge as he bore witness to a small squad of blaster-toting thugs setting up a perimeter around the ship that he had so recently been placed in charge of.

"No. Serenity. No they aren't. Get on the horn to Riddle right away and tell him he and the brute need to get back here, instanter. Then find a safe place to hide. Strife's on its way, Tesoro, 'n you don't want no part of it." He stuck around just long enough to make sure she'd heard him, but not quite long enough for her to ask another question, before he was off bounding through the corridor in search of the newcomer... Blast it, whats his name?

"Hey! New Guy, where you at?" he hollered as he jogged.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 pm

If Marina had been anyone else, there was no doubt that Tehran would have just let them storm off in their righteous huff. But with Marina, things were different. They always had been, they always would be.

Jumping to his feet after her, he grabbed her arm, twisting her firmly until she was facing him. If interfering with a Wordweaver's business qualified as a misdeed, than touching one in such an uncouth manner was down right travesty, but Tehran didn't much bother with details. Not so much because he felt he was above such rules, but because Marina already had enough ammunition in that gun that she could have called down holy hell on him from the powers that be long before now. As it was, he took her threats with a grain of salt, and not much more.

"Well, since we're in the game of reminding, I've got a few reminders of my own. I remember having a little chat about how your business and my business were going to stay away from each other. No touching." Tehran's ocean blue eyes riveted to Marina's. "Now, when you start digging up people who would very much like to do me harm, I start to feel you've broken that little line." His grip unconsciously tightened on her slender arm. "Especially when you don't even tell me that you're doing it. Oh no, I've got to figure it out the hard way from a stray Pup, whom, if I am not mistaken also came into contact with this megalomaniac known as Shiun?"

Tehran finally let go of her arm, just so he could illustrate his points by counting them on his fingers. "So, you've let a greedy, powermonger with a ravenous appetite and a thirst for revenge know that I'm on planet. Oh, let me add slaver to that list... Or did he forget that part of the story? You've introduced him to a helpless mechanic who, let's be honest, usually chooses her friends by how they smell and the tone of their voice. And you've also put yourself back in his crosshairs, which, if I'm not mistaken is not somewhere you would like to be. You've endangered me, my paid crew, and my paying passenger...." Tay stared at her a second longer before adding, "that last one is you, just in case you were confused."

Marina still had not spoken, which left Tehran a little surprised that she had let him say all that. Still, in his experience, just because Marina was quiet didn't mean she was speechless. It just meant when next she spoke, she would more than make up for her "polite listening".

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Serenity had to fight hard to control her rising fear. Whenever Rhys told her strife was on its way it usually meant that people were going to start shooting. She didn't like it when that shooting happened so close to the ship for two reasons; one, this was her home and she didn't like having people fight in her home anymore than anyone else would and two, bullet holes and dings in the hull were so hard to repair by hand without special equipment. The kind of equipment that Tehran just couldn't afford on his meager budget.

With her heart still pounding she sat down in the pilot's chair, powered up the comm and tried to raise either Tehran or Marina. When Captain Riddle finally answered a stream of words burst forth out of Serenity's mouth.

"Tay, there's a bunch of men outside with heavy repeaters and they're surrounding the ship," she exclaimed, "Rhys says you better get back here fast because strife is coming!"

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:36 am

Her muscles were still vibrating beneath her skin, as was the tenuous thread still holding her temper in check. As a rule Marina was not a violent person, nor did she ever really feel the need to yell to get her point across. With Riddle, she dearly wanted to make an exception. So much so, that for one clear moment, she pictured drawing one of his own blasters and beating the infuriating man over the head with it.

But she didn’t indulge in that brief fantasy, nor did she even issue any scathing retorts as Riddle made a valiant attempt at reaming her hide. How the man could have things so ass-backwards, the facts so clumsily tangled, was almost beyond her. She could have pointed out that Shuin had sought her out. She could have revealed the real reason why she had agreed to meet with him – and it wasn’t to hear him whine like a spoiled child who’d been denied a treat. Marina also could have mentioned the fact that she had purposely escorted Serenity back to the ship to make sure the pup stayed safe, or the fact that she carried her emergency comm.

Marina could have easily buckled the shaky legs of moral-righteousness that Riddle thought he was standing on.

She could have done all those things and more.

Instead, the scribe simply continued looking up into Tehran’s angry gaze.

“No, Captain,” she replied when the tense silence all but snapped like a broken tether. “I’m not confused in the slightest. Now if you’ll excuse me?”

Without giving him time to respond again, Marina hurried away and melted into the crowd, using it to quickly disappear from his sight.
~Bonnie Lewis

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 pm

"I'm right here," Kirei answered. He had stowed his gear in his quarters, and had pulled on armor over his body glove. Strapped to his back was his power sword, and sitting snugly in its holster was his special issue bolt pistol. "What's our status, Rhys?" Kirei asked.

"Not good," Rhys replied and explained the situation.

Kirei nodded, dismayed that his way off planet was going to be barred by thugs. He dearly wished he still carried the power of the Inquisition. A simple word with the gathered foes would send most of them scurrying away in hopes of not having offended the most notorious organization in the galaxy. As it was though, he could only rely on whatever weapons he and the crew could bring to bear, and hope that the captain would return swiftly.

"Does the ship carry any external weapons?" the inquisitor asked as they hurried their way to the bridge. "Also, what ways are there to get off the ship without alerting those outside? We need to have a way to support the captain when he returns."