Another Fantasy Thread (Until Jag thinks up a title)

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Halcyon508

Another Fantasy Thread (Until Jag thinks up a title)

Post by Halcyon508 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:45 pm

A man, if one could call one so young such, stood atop a branch of an evergreen. He watched the beast approach cautiously, the scent of the bait thick in its nostrils. The creature was a large boar, larger then any other boar. It had terrorized the outlying farms with its rampant attacks on livestock and wanton destruction of crops. Though the man carried arrow and a bow with him he could not use it here. The overly large boars hide was too thick for an arrow to deal the final blow. The man waited patiently in the tree for the right time to strike.

It was winter and his every breath clouded the air. He noticed the pace of his breathing and consciously slowed it. A thin layer of snow crunched under the large boars feet. The man was wearing a simple tunic fit for the occasion of hunting, a pair of pants that extended just above his boot line. His boots were made of animal furs encased in a hardened leather and wooden frame. His arms were bare to the elements and, along with his face, had frozen beads of sweat on his shaved skin.

The beast wormed its way under the tree to to the mushrooms placed as bait. As the opportunity finally presented itself the man stepped off the branch and descended toward the boar and thrust his spear downward. “Know now,” the man said to the boar. “The hunter’s name who slew you is Arkanos!”

His blow struck eliciting a human like screech from the animal. It heaved and wildly thrashed back and forth with its tusked snout. The spear remained embedded in its back even as Arkanos was thrown back. The creatures movements became sluggish when he purposefully rammed its body into tree’s trashing branches and trunks in a desperate attempt to dislodge the shafted weapon from its flesh.

The creatures movement slowed and its snout collided with the ground causing the boar to roll snout first onto his back its legs violently kicked before all motion ceased. Arkanos approached the dead animal and pulled the spear. He examined the size of the body and was despaired by the utter size of the beast. He tried to lift the corps but only managed to roll the creature.

Looking around Arkanos quickly grabbed a length of rope and several dead branches from the ground. He placed the ‘poles’ next to each other and bonded the parallel branches with a piece of cloth. He then placed a branch He placed the make shift litter next to the large animal and heaved with all his might. The Boars weight shifted and landed between the two branches. He tied the feet and lifted the two branches one in either hand. He began walking back to town, a bloody trail smearing into the snow in his wake.

The weight of the creature strained his muscles as he dragged the precious carcass behind him. Through woods, and over fields of farmers he carried the burden. He reached the familiar houses of his town, Old Forge. The name was not a name at all but a description, in the days of old the town was a mining village and armory of the old empire. The vast majority of the buildings were made of wood with thatched roofs, however several public buildings had been made of stone in the old days, the small smithy among them. In addition to the smithy the large and imposing Academy sat at the center of the town. All children in Old Forge and the surrounding farms were required to attend the Academy at least once a week. Classes that were taught were as much martial as they were academic. Arkanos remembered the grueling wrestling matches on the sand base of the structure.

As the town grew many wooden and sometimes stone additions were built expanding on the Academy, these additions became a make shift marketplace for the town. Arkanos walked into the building. The stone under his feet was cold but the air in the building was warmed by fire. He walked past the sandy pit in which the youths were wrestling and training. People stopped and stared as he dragged the carcass down the hall. Upon approaching a wooden structure jutting out of the main complex he stopped looking at the worn out sign. If he hadn’t known this to be the butcher then the sign would have been of no help all writing had been illegibly faded.

“Elonius?” Arkanos said as he entered. “I have something for you.”

A cumbersome man trotted to the front. His muscles were large and at the last common games he was one of the strongest athletes present. “Arkanos my good man what is it you have for me!”

Arkanos stepped aside and revealed the large animal with a smile. “How denari’s will that get me?”

“I’ll give you a fair price.” Elonius said. He chuckled. “That beast was harassing the livestock at my cousins farm.”

“I figure that would warrant better then a fair price gentle Elonius.” Arkanos stared at the man.

“I suppose it does.” He looked around as if trying to see if anyone was around. “Did you see anything while you were out?”

“Like what?” Arkanos said chuckling.

“Beastmen.” The butcher said in all seriousness. “I’ve heard farms in the outlying regions and other towns in the north have been raided by Beastmen, after all these years for them to have returned.”

“Well rest easy old man, when I was out in the world I didn’t see any sign of beastmen.” Arkanos was never one to listen to rumors, especially unfounded rumors. It had been years since the regions town and city states have united to drive the beastmen far into the north realms. The butcher grumbled and slid several coins to the Young man who gladly accepted. Arkanos left the carcass behind walking once again through the Academy. He glanced at one of the youths wrestling in the sand and smiled. He remembered when he was that young, fond memories and from only a few years ago.

Walking through the town Arkanos reached a small hill. He recognized it as home, however most who lived in the area knew it as a place where those born to the upper class dwelled. Though by no means was Arkanos wealthy, nor most that lived upon the hill, he had a modest home carved into the side of the hill. Though a portion of the building was made with stone as to keep the dirt from rotting and overwhelming the domicile much of the building was made of wood or carved into the stone of the hill. Toward the rear of the hill was a hot spring which fueled the private baths of the luxurious houses. Along with the Academy and forge and the homes in between the hill made up the entire town a, most people living on the outskirts, and was surrounded by a mid sized protective wall.

Arkanos walked toward the Academy to watch the events that take place almost daily in the arena.
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani

Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota

Here we go

Post by Topgun220 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 pm

Phylidon slammed his hammer down again on the red hot steel of the sword he was constructing. Again and again he brought his hammer to meet the steel showering the surrounding area with sparks and intense heat. He took a moment to wipe the sweat from his eyes before striking again. Satisfied the sword was as near to perfection as he could manage to create it, he plunged it into the cold water at his side and cooled it. After removing the blade and placing it on his anvil once more to cool, he checked it for warping and other deformities due to error. Satisfied that there were none he set the blade aside to cool even more so for a few hours so later he may polish and finish the blade.

Phylidon left the smithy and headed for the academy. He watched the younger men wrestle and fight and he spotted their instructor watching over them. Phylidon approached him. “Sir your blade will be ready tomorrow if you wish to pick it up.” The instructor barely acknowledged his presence as he watched his students.
“Thank you blacksmith, if you don’t mind I have a class to attend to.” He had never even looked at Phylidon, the arrogance. Phylidon walked away not wanting to show his displeasure to the instructor who was of higher rank. He was walking out of the academy when he spotted one of his friends from the old days when he himself was in the academy. He approached him, he was viewing the arena right now and hadn’t appeared to notice Phylidon.

“Hello Arkanos, enjoying the match are we?”

Halcyon508

Post by Halcyon508 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:26 pm

“It’s enjoyable, friend Phylidon.” Arkanos replied as he watched two boys push each other around the sand covered floor. One bent his knees and initiated a take down. “I believe that’s the young Kallos.” Arkanos said pointing to the boy who had just brought the fight to the ground. “He’s the son of the ill bred baker who was accepted into the Arcanum College.” Few talked about the Arcanum college, it was a room attached to the Academy. Every generation had one or two candidates enter the college, the magic theory taught there was passed down generation to generation. Not as grand as other colleges throughout the world, and not nearly as learned but it suits the purpose of the town. "How are you old friend?" Arkanos said diverting from the subject of magic.
Domani, forget domani

Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 pm

"Annoyed at the arrogance of some instructors. The head wrestling instructor requested I forge him a fine sword. It is nearing completion and he shows no interest in its development. As if he expects the sword to be completed for him in perfect condition without complaint, I would enjoy seeing him try to make a sword of steel in two days that is as good as the one I produced for him.” Phylidon sighed and returned his attention to the match.

“I need to keep my tongue in check don’t I.” He commented smiling. “I also need five hundred gold pieces.” He looked over the fight once more. “You know that after I finish this sword I will have no special orders to fill, if you want I can make or repair anything you might need. I look forward to working for someone who might appreciate my work.” He smirked, most of the time he was humble but today he was agitated and it showed. “I am sorry for rambling on about my troubles friend, how was your day?”

Halcyon508

Post by Halcyon508 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 pm

“The boar along the rivers bend was killed by my hand.” He said as Kallos gained dominance and ended up on top of his opponent. “All I posses that you could fix is my fathers shield and my spear.” Kallos now had the other boys arm and was trying to work an arm bar. “I could use a sword. In my travels it would no doubt come in handy, if you are willing.” Sweat was beating off the two boys and Kallos with the decisive advantage in skill saw an opportunity and took the boys back quickly placing him in a rear naked choke. “This is over.” Arkanos said turning to look at his friend.
Domani, forget domani

Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:10 pm

It was very much over and Phylidon also turned. “I have no problem doing it, the shield and spear I can repair if need be after I forge the sword. It will take me several days to make you an effective blade, one that will last long and stay sharp as well. Unlike the instructor’s blade, which is made to be put on display, rather, than through a battle.” Phylidon longed to leave Old Forge and go on adventures. He could not stop the question in his mind from being asked. “Where do you think these travels will take you? Into many battles I presume? Maybe killing a few more boars?” He said jokingly.