The Girl and the Dragon

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:42 am

"What manner of scholar are you, lass?" the dwarf asked, but before Josylin could even answer the unthinkable happened. Cries of alarm from outside drew everyone's attention and it didn't take a wizard to figure out that the city was under attack. Both Gurt and Vortrex charged out of the inn and onto the street brandishing their weapons. Josylin followed them out and stared in shock at the horde of demons rushing towards them. Without even thinking the two dwarves leapt into action, trying their best to slay as many of the horde as they could. Even the ranger from before was lending his hand to the two warriors.

A thousand thoughts raced through her head, not being a warrior there wasn't much she could offer in a fight like this. She could try casting a spell, but she dared not to. She felt some strange magicks emanating from the demons, a kind of energy she never felt before. There's no telling what could happen should her magic collide with theirs. It wasn't until she noticed that the seemingly fallen demons were getting back up that she decided to do something.

Vortrex was doing a commendable job of holding his own, but little did he seem to realize that every limb he severed, every gouge he cut, they all simply healed themselves soon after. There seemed no end to them, more and more demons were pouring out of the mansion, and even the ones lying "dead" on the ground were getting back up. Acting out of impulse she rushed forward chanting a few magic words then slamming her palms into the ground. A slight rumbling sound could be heard soon after, getting stronger with each passing moment. Then suddenly, much to Vortrex's surprise, a great stone wall erupted from the ground separating him from the rest of the horde rushing towards them.

"Can't you idiots see your attacks are having no effect?" Josylin demanded of them, indicating the pile of demons lying nearby that were regenerating themselves. "We have to get out of here and find some help, now! Hurry, that wall won't hold them for long!"
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:16 am

In the thick of the fray, arrows started whistling past Votrex head and thumping into the demonic foes. Most seemed to be having little effect in slowing them down, and unnoticed by Votrex the demons he'd cleaved in two were not giving up the fight despite having their legs seperated from their torso.

He didn't hear the cries of Joslyn behind him, but when the solid wall of stone rose of the earth suddenly he stumbled back wards, seperated from his foes.

'Bah! What wizardry is this?! Grrr!'

The sudden movement drew Gurt's attention and he stumbled backwards onto his back. His foe stabbed a vicious claw straight into Gurts chest, piercing the ornate armour and pinning him to the floor. Gurt cried out to Votrex as he parried the first slash from the creatures other claw;

'Votrex! Help!'

Foe-less now that the stone wall had appeared Votrex turned and darted towards Gurt, as the first swipe flung Gurts axe out of his hand Votrex buried his rune axe deep into the creatures skull. It wavered, wobbled, then tumbled onto it's side as he retrieved his weapon. Quickly he slashed the claw off at the wrist and pulled it free of Gurts armour, the end so sharp it had buried itself in the hardest dwarvish steel, almost penetrating to the layer of mail beneath.

He offered a hand to Gurt and pulled him to his feet, Gurt quickly retrieved his axe.

'Hah! Thanks... What the hell are these things?!'

Votrex peered at the writhing limbs, and the listened to the screams of anguish from over the wall,

'I don't know... I've never seen anything like them in the deeps...'

They ran over to Joslyn, and adopted a defensize stance, while waving a salute at the mounted ranger, Gurt raised an eyebrow at her, "Well? What is going on? What are these creatures?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:53 am

"I have no idea what they are," Josylin replied, "and now's not the time to talk about it. We should head towards the keep," she said, pointing back up the street, "We're bound to find some help there."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Gurt headed after the young woman, with Votrex looking perplexed at him,

'Where the hell are you going?! The enemy is over THERE!'

Gurt rolled his eyes and jogged after Joslyn with Votrex following him yelling angrily, 'Tell her to drop the wall! What are we doing!?'

The keep loomed in sight, the giant, stone wall cutting them off from the remaining evil. Gurt growled at Votrex, 'Look, what's the point in fighting against things that don't die - even when you chop them into tiny pieces?!'

Getting increasingly angry Votrex wiped the demon blood from his brow and stomped up the shallow hill after them, 'Well, that's the point isn't it? Dying in battle, facing immortal, impossible to kill enemies!? '

Gurt shook his head as he jogged, watching the mounted ranger riding after them now, 'Look, I'm the scholar and I actually understand the creed BETTER than you, invincible opponents don't count! Look at the legend of Manek and the Adamite Golem?'

'Grrrr, what? What are you blathering about?'

'It was after he'd slain Grymdr the red dragon, the human magus, Krelin had created the Adamite Golem to guard his tower - Manek had heard that it was an impossible foe... He travelled to the tower, attacked the golem, but nothing could damage it. He continued fighting it, avoiding being crushed while slamming his axe in futility at the living statue. Eventually Krelin, cast a spell, freezing his creation and asked Manek what he was doing.

After he'd explained himself, Krelin told him, 'that to fight that which cannot be killed, is out of the lore and does not follow the creed. No slayer may ever commit suicide or allow himself to e killed, to fight something that will never die is suicide, no level of skill or valor can overcome the rock of eternity.' SO he left the mages tower and vowed never to fight anything he didn't have a way of killing in future? Surely you remember that one?
'

Votrex was frowning grumpily and jogging;

'Grrr... Well, alright I suppose - I think they would have died if I'd chopped them us smaller!'

'Don't be ridiculous, they were putting themselves back together quicker than you were taking them apart!'

Gurt caught the glance from Joslyn who had been forced to endure a lengthy bout of clicky, grumbly muttering dwarvish. "Sorry Lass, Votrex here is dissapointed to be leaving the fight... He'll get over it though..."

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 pm

When the last arrow left Robin's bow, it never made it to its target. Instead, it hit a stone wall that had mystically risen from the ground and was now blocking the combatants from the creatures. When he pulled back the reins to swing his horse around, he saw the arrogant mage from the inn.

"Ha," he laughed, "a spell that worked."

He then kicked his heels into his horse and rode back towards the keep, and as he passed the two dwarves he gave them a small nod. In his head he respectd them even though about an hour ago he didn't believe they were anything more than myth.

But now that he saw them in action he had a deep respect for them and would gladly trust them with his life.

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Rajin had sat back in the carriage and waited till the found their way to the keep. Once they had arrived, he exited, and paid the driver for the ride. There was a chill in the air and Rajin could feel that there was a magical disturbance happening. The mystical realm was being assaulted by a dark magic and this feeling put him on edge. He rushed to the door and it was opened for him by a young squire.

"My boy I need to speak to the Lord Castellan. There is a foul and dark shadow approaching and the meeting must happen as soon as possible."

"Your name master wizard?" said the squire.

"I am the Elemental Mage Ragin. If you master does not know my name he will have heard of my master Dimok the wise. Now go and I will await for his response here." The boy turned and ran off into the keep. Rajin stood outside and positioned himself on top of a part of the wall. he could see out over much of the smaller building surrounding the city. He closed his eyes and the spoke the ancient magic words, "oscailt amach radharc na súl" At once his eyes flew open and were clouded over with a milky white color. He used the spell of seeing evil. He was using a technique that Dimok had taught him, to see where evil is near.

He was taken from the keep to a ruined mansion. There he saw hideous demons flying out from many different places of the large decrypted house. He was going to move his way into the house and see those responsible for this action when he heard chanting and then he saw a cloaked face. It was older then it should have been and the eyes were sunken back and looked half dead. Then he heard a name, a name that he had hoped he would never hear again. "Shaitan"

At once he was pushed out of his farsight and almost onto the ground. He was sweating and his breath was ragged. The squire returned and with him two Knights of the Cup. They both bowed and said, "Our master will grant you an audience, this way." Rajin stood up and dusted himself off bringing his sword back to its proper place on his side. Rajin patted its hilt and took a long breath. He needed to compose himself before he told the king of what he saw.

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:19 pm

It was fair to say that Romi and Jaeger hadn't exactly sprung into action. They hadn't really moved much, apart from turning about to watch demonic figures spew from the mansion on the hill. With the rising sun, it was quite a sight. Romi hooded her eyes and spoke, not bothering to look at Jaeger.

"You've your sword," she said, unslinging her bow and touching the rapier at her side.

"I've my sword." Jaeger nodded. They inhaled as one and frowned slightly as the figures who had previously been battling the massing creatures turned and retreated, covered for only a few moments by a wall that had shot up from the ground.

"A sorcerer?" said Romi. "A sorcerer at the keep?"

"It's not completely unexpected. They're not extinct, you know," said Jaeger. "They're coming back here. We can't take those things on our own. Maybe if we were flying, but you know we can't do that."

"I do," said Romi, her voice wavering slightly. "So what should we tell them when you start smoking at the ears?"

She grinned cheekily.

"Inside! Get inside!" the doorkeep bellowed behind them, presumably at the four figures dashing towards the keep. "You too, if you know what's good for ye!"

The last comment was directed at Romi and Jaeger, who obliged, though slowly. The man on the horse passed them by inches, ruffling Romi's hair with the wind. A girl followed, and behind her were two dwarves. Jaeger and Romi showed no surprise. They themselves were supposed to be a myth. Other hidden races held no confusion.

The doorkeep latched the heavy wooden doors and turned to the small group. Romi shook her head.

"Those won't keep them out."
Stop blowing holes in my ship!

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:29 am

"Maybe not, but it's all we have," Josylin replied, moving towards the doors and pressing her hands against them. Speaking a few words she released her energy into the wood, causing the doors to glow faintly. "My magic will strengthen them, but not for long," she told the others, glancing back to look at them. One in particular caught her eye, the black-haired man carrying a sword. She felt a strange kind of energy coming from him, she couldn't rightly explain it but she had a funny feeling that there was more to him than meets the eye.

"I hope the rest of you have a plan," she continued, clearly indicating that she had just about reached the limits of her abilities. Though she wouldn't admit it, the fact of the matter was there wasn't much more that she could offer in terms of help. Being simply just a wizard's apprentice all of her spells were purely defensive in application. She had no knowledge of any offensive spells whatsoever, which in a way made sense. You don't go around teaching destructive magic to just anyone, right?

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:06 am

Votrex grunted and sniffed at the air, his magic resistance tatoo's tingling slightly, he looked at Gurt;

'Hmmph! There's alot of magic in the air here! I don't like it... Grrr... We should be out there fighting them!'

Gurt listened then rubbed his chin and addressed the others, "Hmmm, my friend here has a suggestion, perhaps if climb to the battlements and look at where the battle has taken place we can get a better idea of how to defeat these creatures. I noticed some of the ones Gurt attacked did not regenerate, if we look at the corpses maybe we can spot what the vulnerability of them is?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:18 am

"I have a better idea," Josylin suggested, "instead of waiting around here for them to come crashing through that door and kill us all, why don't we put our heads together and figure out a way to get out of this city?"

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Votrex tugged on Gurts armour impatiently,'What the Hrzzztk is the lassie blathering about? Why are we cowering behind these doors instead of facing the enemy?!'

Gurt looked at Votrex and rolled his eyes, he was running out of ideas. Unknown to Votrex, Gurt had taken a liking to the fellow and had decided to try and keep him alive - despite Votrex's code and feverish desire to meet death. He thought about his options and looked at the faces gazing down at him... Then something... He prodded Votrex, 'Do you smell magic?'

'Hmmph! YES I DO! And it's here... Hmmm, smells almost elvish! Grrr... One of these must be a doppleganger or similar... My runes are itching...'

Gurt eyed the group suspiciously, "Ahem, has anyone here got anything to reveal to the rest of us? Anyone using any illusion magic?"

It was a long shot, they had no way of knowing who or what was causing the effect and whoever was doing it probably knew the dwarves would not be able to point them out... Still, they would be on their guards if their intentions were not good...

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Romi stared at the young sorceress. Jaeger was watching the group coolly. There was obvious tension, but Romi gave them nothing. Instead, she glanced at the doors and took one step onto the ramparts.

"Getting out of the city is one thing. Evacuating the city is entirely another. This keep is meant to survive an attack like this, is it not? Let's utilize what we have," she said, climbing the stairs and notching an arrow into her bowstring.

"And you are?" The sorceress scrutinized her.

"I'll let you know if we live," she said, smirking. She jumped onto the ramparts and looked over the stone wall. Snarling, contorted faces snapped up at her. "Ew. Nasty buggers."

Jaeger took one of her arrows and ran his fingers up the shaft, murmuring a spell. The arrow shivered and leapt from his hand, slamming between the eyes of a particuarly ugly monster bashing at the doors. The arrow passed through cleanly, and the demon toppled. Jaeger raised his eyebrows and Romi took aim at a smaller creature, nailing it between the eyes as well.

"Swords would do cleaner work," she said, notching another arrow.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:35 pm

"This is foolishness," Josylin snapped, her patience finally running out. "These walls were built to withstand human attacks, they were not meant to hold against a magical force like this! And believe me when I say that these--things, are only the beginning. I feel something much stronger following in their wake, we need to get out of here!"

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:25 am

Votrex was growing steadily more angry at their lack of action. Flexing his muscles he approached the bar across the keep door;

'Grrr, I'm sick of this waiting around, I'll see you all in Vrrrkht Ko'rssi!'

As he began pushing the bar up out of the brackets Gurt rushed after him, grabbed the bar and pulled it down into the brackets screaming in dwarvish;

'Stop you fool! What about putting other people in danger! Dammit! Remember the code!'

Gurt ceased pushing and turned growling angrily at Gurt, 'Well how the hrrrkt else am I supposed to get into the fight! '

'You'll get killed, they don't die - you can't fight things that don't die!'

'Hmmph! Yes they do! Some do anyway... Perhaps I just need to chop them up smaller!'

'For Manek's sake, calm down, there'll be plenty of chances to meet your destiny soon enough - where-ever they came from will send more!'

'A Slayer does NOT shy away from a fight! Standing here behind this wretched door IS shying away! Either find me a way of getting into the fight or else I'll jump off the battlements!'

Joslyn was eyeing the arguing dwarves suspiciously, Gurt regained his composure and smiled softly at her, "I'm erm, sorry about this, my friend here is quite adamant that we should be out there fighting them... He's not allowed to use any missile weaponry, hence he can't fight from the battlements, so he's keen to get into melee... Sorry if it sounds a bit ridiculous - Is there a way he can out there without opening the main doors and putting us all at risk, or suicidally leaping from the battlements into the fray?"

The people eyeing them looked sickened at his suggestions, he looked bashfully at them, "I know, I know, it sounds insane - look it's complicated alright?"

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:36 am

Ooc> Forgive me if I GM anything but I got an ok from Jag to do some of this. Hope it is ok with everyone else.

IC>
Rajin was following the squire when he heard the sound of armor coming towards him. They turned a corner and found themselves face to face with the knights of the cup. Rajin knew the markings on their armor. Before any of the knights could speak Rajin stated, “I need to see Lord Castellan at once, there is great evil coming this...” and he was stopped by the raised hand of the lead knight.

”We have heard and are on our way to meet this threat head on.”

“May I accompany you, I am Rajin the Rune mage, prodigy of Dimok the wise.” The knights looked around and the lead nodded his head in agreement and they all turned and ran back down towards the battle field.

It only took them a couple of minutes to get there and during that time Rajin could feel the darkness moving across that land. Some of the knights had already broken off into smaller groups to flank the main group of demons. Rajin came up to where the main fighting was taking place. There was a large stone wall that had been erected by magic and there were some standing behind it using it as a defense wall. The demons were swarming the wall and Rajin’s mind flew into battle mode. The lead knight was about to charge when Rajin put his hand in front of him. “Wait I will clear you a path.” Rajin raised his right hand and spoke the words, ”spréachphlocóid!” When he said this lightning leaped from his hand and moved straight across to the rock wall. The demons hit by it shuttered and fell twitching on the ground. Rajin lowered his hands the knight flooded into the field of battle. Rajin drew his sword and spoke a small incantation of his sword and entered the fray.

These demons were tough and those he had shocked had already started to get back up and come at them. The knights were making what would seem to be death blows into the demons, however, the demons would fall to the ground and then the wounds would begin to heal and they would be back in the fight. From the far side of the fight someone yelled, “ Take off their heads, they will stay down!” Many of the knights turned and made the death blow on whatever they were fighting and just as it seemed the fight was beginning to end, another wave of demons came over some cottages near by. Some arrows snaked out from behind the wall and dropped many of the beasts but more continued to come. They were about to be overrun.

Rajin’s mind swirled and it pinpointed the very last lesson Dimok had him learn, banishment. He made his way quickly to the lead knight, “Can you give me some time? I need to prepare something that might help turn the tide in our favor.” The knight said, “I can give you as much as you need.” Ragin sheathed his sword and put his hands together. He formed the hand symbols that would begin the spell. Once the hand signs had finished, he yelled to the knights to scatter, a order the was repeated by the master knight. Rajin then poured all his strength into the runes and said, ”cuir deireadh le!”

He body convulsed and from it emanated waves that looked like heat radiating off a piece metal left out in the sun during the summer. All the demons caught in its wake screamed in pain then slowly crumbled back into the abyss that spawned them. Rajin fell to one knee and his body suddenly began to shake. It took him all of his mental focus to try and stop the trembling. The knights ran forward with a loud war cry back into the hoard’s path. One demon made it through and was about to pounce on Rajin when an arrow laced with magic, hit it in the side of the head and sent it tumbling. Rajin didn’t see where it came from but he would have to thank them later. He pulled himself up and fell behind a overturned wagon, he needed to regain control of his taxed muscles or he would not survive much longer.

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:36 am

Robin gave a small smile, he admired the dwarf's commitment to battle and he respected it.

Robin looked down into the courtyard and saw his horse shifting nervously when he suddenly had an idea. "Hmm," he said aloud, "Usually most keeps have a small secret enterance to use in case someone needs to slip out unnoticed."

"Maybe the dwarf and I could slip out and try to engage them until more help arrives?" Unfortunatly, Robin lready knew the answer he'd get but he needed to at least try, besides, he wouldn;t mind trying to take out a few more himself.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:40 pm

Gurt looked up at the archer who had just made the suggestion and smiled, he turned to Votrex;

'The tall fellow with the bow suggests we search for the secret exit to the keep, apparently they tend to build secret doors into their lairs... Hmmm, nothing the dwarves don't do I suppose... Try to fight defensively though - the wizardess reckons there's a much greater evil following, it would be a shame to be killed fighting the foot soldiers when... Well, you could rival even Manek's final battle...'

Votrex grinned clearly pleased with the idea and reached up to pat the tall man who had suggested it on the back hard, while grinning at him.

Gurt gripped his axe, "Right, let's do it... Whose with us? Death or glory!"

Carefully Gurt used his stone-sense to feel around the walls of the castle, a distance from the doors was a sunken trough, with water running through the bottom. He climbed down and waved for Votrex and the stranger to follow.

Climbing down into the trough, knee deep in water he called up to Votrex, 'There's bars down here - I think it's an under-water entrance! Help me bend the bars back lad!'

As Votrex helped bend the rusty bars clear, Gurt called up to the man on the bank, "I hope yer' can hold yer' breath lad - it's an underwater entrance!"

Soon Votrex and Gurt had slithered through and scrambled up the bank on the otherside. The mindless abominations seemed drawn to the doors and were relentlessly charging them, claws whirling.

Gurt turned to Votrex wiping the water from his eyes, 'Right defensive, couple of stances apart, start at the heads, work your way down, concentrate on the same one until we know it's dead and we know for sure how to kill them... Lets do it!'

As the two dwarves jogged towards the writhing mass, Gurt called over his shoulder, "Start at the heads and work your way down until we work out what kills them!"

Soon enough they were upon the horde and axes were cleaving into demon flesh, while arrows whistled above their heads, thumping into the creatures, knocking them to the floor. As they hacked their way into the crowd a sight in the corner of his eye made Gurt smile, somebody was storming the magic wall from the otherside;

"Stranger! Looks like help is at hand!"

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:09 pm

Robin's strategy for dealing with the monsters hadn't been all that complex; apparently they could regenerate some of their wounds, so he decided to cut them limb from limb thinking they couldn't grow them all back.

It wasn't until he heard the dwarf yell that help had arrived did he really smile. He then laughed out loud and fought with renewed vigor, his twin blades danced among the beasts as they whipped in and out of the bodies and swung around in the air. This was a technique that had taken Robin most of his life to perfect, it was a stance called the "Hummingbird." It had such a simple non-threatning name but the technique was anything but.

Robin had trained himself by fighting with heavier swords so that when he used his normal dual swords he moved them at a considerable faster rate. To the untrained eye, Robin's swords were merely silver blurs fling through the chaos of monsters but to any well trained fighter they could see Robin manipulating the swords and his body to strike from any angle.

Blood and creature flesh sprayed all around Robin, however most of the monsters maintained their attacks, the Hummingbird stance was keeping them at bay but doing no real damage.

Shifting his feet and grip on his swords he positioned himself in another more aggressive stance called the "Black Bear." Now instead of his swords moving swiftly, they instead moved slower but their power was much more obvious, they began to cleave limbs from the body and heads from the torsos. It was at this time that someone yelled to slice the head off to stop them, something that Black Bear was created for. Working back towards the mass of people, Robin combined both stances to drive some away to get them by themselves and cleave their heads clean off and end their threat one at a time.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:32 am

The dwarves heard the shout too, at first, Votrex leaping into the air before sweeping his axe across, sending heads rolling. Soon however, it became clear that Gurt couldn't leap in his armour, and they could fight more efficiently together.

Votrex screamed at him;

'Gurt! Bring them down, and I'll finish them!'

Gurt nodded and sliced clean through the approaching beasts knees, sending it sprawling, before Votrex lopped the foul beasts head clean off.

Despite their stalwart efforts, more beasts were leaving the keep doors and approaching them, soon they were getting surrounded. Out of the corner of his eye Gurt spotted a creature approaching the bowman, who had now swapped to whirling twin blades, flashing in the morning sun. He was focused on the fight and appeared not to have noticed. Gurt belowed and charged slahing horizontally with his axe;

"Stranger! Look out!"

As the daemon toppled still living, Votrex saw the move and leapt into the air burying his head deep in it's head, it crumpled and died on the spot. Now trapped, with beasts on all sides, the three fought back to back, slashing, hacking, parrying and cleaving demon heads off. Votrex growled,

'Grrrr! How many can there be?'

Gurt frowned, 'Less talking more fighting! I think the warriors approaching from the village should catch up with us soon, they appeared to be great in numbers!'

Silently, methodically, the three warriors, sliced, dodged and fought, splattered with blood and pouring with sweat. As the horde gradually started to thin Gurt called to the man with the twin blades, " We'll raise a mug o' ale to yer once we're done stranger! Yer fight like an Elvish Wardancer!"

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:42 am

Robin smiled at the dwarf's comment, "Sounds like a deal, friend. First round is on me."

He then continued fighting with his blades dancing around the air in front of him. "I hope those soldiers hurry up..."

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:41 am

Jaeger preceeded Romi out into the morning sun, hair shining and dripping from the watery passage. His sword was out in an instant, and had dispatched two ugly heads in another. Romi came out behind him, rapier flashing in the golden light. Her eyes darted about and located each of her allies; the dwarves, the ranger, and of course, the knights, who had graciously depleted the hoard of monsters the group was now finishing off. The maker of the banishment spell was nowhere to be found.

Romi swung the blade around and was rewarded with a thump as she beheaded another creature. It was only a few minutes before heads and bodies littered the ground, and the group was left in messy triumph. Romi wiped some of the bloody sludge from her riding leather with a grimace. Jaeger watched her cautiously, checking her over for any injuries. She smiled at him.

"Not a scratch," she chuckled. She turned into the sun, hooding her eyes and focusing on the ranger who was cleaning his own blades. The dwarves were surveying the carnage about them with what seemed to be satisfaction.

"I'd love to know who conjured these beasties," said Romi quietly. She looked at the captain of the Knights.

"Captain," she inclined her head slightly. "What impeccable timing."

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Joseph had been conversing with Lord Runeblade when the news of the attack came in. He had quickly assembled every knight available - Selene Winterborn and her group had not yet returned from their patrol - and led them to the nearest battlescene.

No knights had been killed, thanks to their armour, but a few had suffered light wounds. He was cleaning his sword, when he heard a voice behind him:

"Captain. What impeccable timing."

Joseph turned his head to look at the woman. She was young, no more than twenty certainly, and had hair like fire. She was accompanied by a strange-looking man with strange, green eyes. He smiled.

"We try, milady. I am Joseph Brightholme, captain of these knights. And you are?"

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:21 pm

"Romi Lukas." She gripped his forearm and smiled widely. Jaeger followed suit.

"Jaeger. Pleasure to meet you, Captian Brightholme." His smile extended to his eyes, but showed none of his flashing white teeth. He nodded at the men being patched up beside them. "I see your troops are intact."

"That's what we're trained for," Brightholme replied with a small smile. He wiped some of the battle grime from his face.

Romi pushed some of her brilliant red hair from her face and looked around. "Where's the one who cast the banishment spell? I felt that in my chest it was so powerful. Took care of most of the scum, obviously. Did we lose him in the fray?" she asked, looking around.

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:50 pm

It wasn't until Robin had been walking around the battlefeild for a moment or two that he finally realized there was a figure slumped behind a wagon. As he ran he yelled, "There's someone over here!"

He knelt next to the figure and looked over the figure, "He's alive, but he still needs help, he looks exhausted."

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:50 am

Joseph ordered two knights to make a crude stretcher and bring the wizard to the keep. Then he turned to look at the ... "creatures" was perhaps the best word, as the group included two dwarves.

"If you are willing, I am sure the Lord Castellan extends his hospitality to you all. Tonight, you shall feast as you have earned."

Behind him, the rest of the knights formed into groups and began sweeping the city for survivors, both human and demonic.

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:57 am

The great blue were crossing from one cloud to another, when Kale noticed a number of dots below. It looked like a small battle.

"What is that?"

Tharseris turned her head and looked down.

"Humans in armour fighting magical creatures."

"Can you expand on that?" Tharseris sighed and circled once.

"Knights fighting some sort of demon, I believe. I remember those."

Kale caught himself wondering where she could possibly remember them from, but shrugged it off.

"Who are winning?"

"Only one knight remains, and she will die soon without help."

"Is it wise to reveal our existence just yet?"

"I don't know. We could just let her die." Tharseris said matter-of-factly. Kale made his decision.

"Charge."

Selene was fighting desperately. Her comrades were both dead, and she herself had received several wounds. Several beheaded demons lay around her, but more than fourty still remained, and was continously assaulting her. In her heart, she knew this day would be her last, but she was determined to take as many foes with her as possible.

Suddenly, a large shape caught her eye. She used a moment of respite to look up and almost screamed. A massive blue dragon, almost the size of a house, was descending rapidly, spewing forth a strange blue flame that enveloped the demons and burned them to a crisp. As the dragon passed over her, a man-sized figure in obsidian armour dropped to the ground and swung a claymore at the demons.

Selene kept fighting, as the black knight fought his way through the mass of demons. His skill was impeccable, and wherever his sword struck, another demon fell to the ground headless.

The dragon passed over again, incinerating another group of demons. This time, she felt the intense heat of the flames against her armour. Exhausted from bloodloss, Selene collapsed just as the black knight reached her...

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:01 am

Gurt and Votrex were caught unawares at the end of the battle, as their last opponets slumped onto the ground they poised immedietly to strike again... But there was nothing to strike. Some more warriors from the keep and the knights were strolling around surveying the battlefield, some resting from the exertion of the fight.

Votrex growled miserably at Gurt, 'Grrr, that happened to the 'BIG' demon the wizardess promised us!?'

Gurt chuckled, 'I don't know, perhaps it saw the battle and fled in terror?'

A call from behind a wagon drew their attention. "He's alive, but he still needs help, he looks exhausted."

Gurt and Votrex jogged over to behind the wagon. Gurt laid down his axe and gave the figure a gentle shake, as he had no obvious wounds, "Alright lad?! The battles over! Here have some water!"

He pulled his flask from his belt, and poured a tiny trickle of water onto the exhausted strangers lips.

Votrex meanwhile slapped Robin on the back grinning like maniac, "Nurme dodne, ge.. ca... grrrr, erm... Nurme? Aaaar - Votrex!" as he finished he punched himself on the chest, then gestured towards him for his name.

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:12 pm

Robin spun quickly and saw one of the dwarves standing behind him smiling madly.

What he said next sounded like a mumbling of words to Robin, but at the end he realized that the dwarf was telling him his name when he hit his own chest.

Robin then smiled and mimicing him, Robin hit his own chest and said "Robin." He then patted the dwarf on the shoulder and produced a small flagon from his knapsack and offered it, "Ale," he said.

He gestured for the dwarf to take it since he had earlier promised both dwarves a round of drinks.

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Turning away from Brightholme, Jaeger enveloped Romi in a warm embrace, lifting her so her toes dangled a few inches from the ground. He rubbed her back gently. She was grateful, but slightly puzzled.

"Everything all right?" she said into his ear.

"I am supremely glad you were not harmed," he said quietly. He set her down and laced his fingers into hers. Protecting her was harder as a human, that much was certain. Rarely had he been forced to remain in the inferior form for so long.

Romi was considering the generous offer that Captain Brightholme had made to all of them. It'd be a chance to learn more about the Knights face-to-face. She doubted the Knights had any indication of her position or affiliation, and, as Kale and Tharseris were nowhere to be seen, it would remain that way for as long as they deemed. The knights fanned out to search for survivors. Romi adjusted the bow on her shoulder, and she and Jaeger went to help comb the tattered city for what remained of its citizens.

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Rajin felt the group around him and then felt the water hit his lips. He coughed hard and opened his eyes. "That tastes like camel piss, but it was needed." He tried to chuckle but his muscles still did not respond to his commands. He took a deep breath ans spoke some words under his breath and his hands finally stopped shaking.

He saw the knights begin to bring a stretcher but he refused. "I will be fine to walk, I just might be a little slow. Last time a did that speel I couldn't move for two days. I am glad that my body is becoming used to expending that much energy." He gave a weak smile. As he stood he looked at the dwarves and gave the best bow that his body would allow.

"It is good to finally come face to face with your kind. My master spoke of your people fondly. I believe you people knew him as Mertonic which means Silver beard." Rajin looked around at the dead and dieing demon corpses and shook his head.

"Is it time to see Lord Castellan yet?" Rajin turned toward the keep and hiss knees buckled slightly. He caught himself on the wagon and steadied himself until his legs had enough strength to support his body. He did see Josylin come out from the stone walls. He made a small snort and said to himself, *"Only defensive spells. She never attacked. Defending can do well but if you can't turn the enemy back, it does you no good. This is going to be a fun trip."*

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:00 am

Votrex took the flask gingerly, uncapped it and sniffed contents, took a short sip, paused then took a big gulp. He smiled as the rich, earthy alcoholic drink washed down his throat. Pointing at the bottle he grunted,

"Jkti!" <> 'Good!' and gave him a warm smile and a thumbs up.

He took another swig, handed the flask back and wiped the excess from his beard, smearing his face with blood from the fight as he did so.

Gurt's eyes opened wide at the mention of Silver Beard. He chuckled and smiled at Rajin, "Yes, I recall the name... If he's the person I'm thinking of he's quite known to the scholars amongst us. He spent time with the Rune Casters, rumour was, in order to share arcane knowledge... Hmmm, was it something to do with combining Dwarvish Runes and wizardry? How is he anyway - keeping well ? Were his efforts succesful?"

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:03 am

“Successful? I am the fruits of that endeavor. I am Rajin, the Rune Mage and prodigy of Dimok. I was his last student before he disappeared. It was about a year ago when he just vanished and I have been looking for him ever since. But apparently the fates brought me here to this place. If this brings me some answers on where he has gone, then I will play my part and I will find him.”

Rajin steadied himself one last time and then took a deep breath. He pulled back his long sleeves and revealed the runs that had been made into rings on his fingers. “I specialize in elemental runes and castings. I also have some knowledge of combining the elements to get some, surprising results. Mertonic also taught be the banishment spell and well as some others that I am not willing to reveal at this moment. But we do need to get up to the keep to see Lord Castellan. There was a great evil lurking behind these demons.” Rajin said as he kicked one of the corpses surrounding them. He repositioned his sword and turned to face the dwarves.

“I will not speak the name of this evil here out in the open but I am sure the name is either Elven or Dawrf. I will need you and your friend’s advice in order to fully discover who this evil is.” He turned to see Josylin come up to the group. “Hello again, are you going to come and play with the big boys or do you need to go back and perform for a child’s birthday?” He turned and began his walk up to the keep gaining more strength back in his body with every step.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 am

Gurt kept pace with Raijin, stroking his beard thoughtfully, "Disappeared? That is sad news... I believe he actually helped to make the art of runecasting more efficient and effective during his time in the mines. He'll be sorely missed, I shall have to tell the Crag about this turn of events..."

Gurt pondered for a moment before continuing, "Hmmm, It's possible we can help with the name, it's possible we can't. The dwarves are still locked in a bitter war with the Skrvati - The great halls have been abandoned, too difficult to defend... It's meant scholarly pursuit and exploration has dwindled somewhat, we can talk properly over a meal and a mug of ale at the keep anyway."

Votrex was steadily following Robin, feeling somewhat like he'd found a companion of a similar ethos. The only frustration was his difficulty in communicating. It had been so many decades since he'd studied the human tongue, 'still...' he thought to himself, 'Now is the time to brush up and practice... I'll have to ask Gurt to help...'

The keep loomed closer as the group trudged along the path.

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Robin followed the group with Votrex at his side, he admired the dwarf. Such commitment to the feild of battle, Robin felt like he and Votrex had connected even though there was a gap in the language barrier.

He had always heard of dwarves but only as a myth or bedtime story, he neer imagined he'd meet one let alone befriend one. He wished that he could say something to Votrex that he could understand.

Then Robin heard the experience mage say somthing to the Josylin that made him laugh heartily. "I like this guy," he said to himself. Robin then suddenly had an idea, he leaned over to the other dwarf who spoke the human tounge, his name was Gurt if he could remember, "Excuse me," Robin began, "Would it trouble you to try and teach me some dwarvish? when we have the appropiate time of course." He then turned back to Votrex and gave a big grin.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Josylin said nothing, after all what could she say? Rajin was the hero this day not her, but his arrogant attitude ticked her off to no end. She wanted so much to stuff his snide comment down his throat and make a fool of him, but instead she quietly stewed about it as she followed along behind the group.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Votrex glanced at Gurt, 'What's he say?'

Gurt smiled,'He wants me to teach him some dwarvish! '

'Hah! Good idea!'

Smiling Gurt turned back to Robin as he strolled,"Certainly, it would be an honour to teach some basic dwarvish. Hmmm, where to start, hmmm, two words - yes and no, very simple, yes is, 'kht'" 'Yes.'

To the untrained ear the sound was like a person coughing or clearing their sinuses.

"And for no it's 'zxn'." No.'

Again the sounds were similar, a low gruff muttery cough with little intonation. The language of the dwarves was not a pretty or elegant language but a harsh, difficult to understand and harder to speak one.

Gurt smiled at him, "Back of the throat, almost like you're coughing softly... "

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:43 am

When they arrived at the keep, a middleaged man in shining silver plate armour welcomed them, presenting himself as Knight-Sergeant Vidar Oxblue. Oxblue led them into the keep, up the narrow stairs, and onto the top floor. He showed them inside a cosy room with a lit fireplace - incidently the same room the dwarves had been in, when they first arrived - and asked them to wait there.

Lord Runeblade arrived shortly after.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I am Lord Witgar Runeblade, Lord Castellan of Dorman Keep. I need not tell you why you are here; you all saw - and fought - the demons only a short while ago. I am trying to discover all I can, so if any of you have any information, please share it with me."

Joseph Brightholme was about to enter the room as well, when Jeremy came around the corner and waved at him. Joseph waited until Jeremy reached him. Only then did he notice the distraught look on Jeremy's face.

"What is it, Jeremy?"

"Knight-Brother Dorset have returned with the search party. They have found the bodies of Knight-Brothers Luka and Yuonnes. They were both killed by demons."

Joseph found that his hands were trembling.

"And Se...Knight-Brother Selene?"

"There was no trace of her. But the ground had been burned."

"Burned?"

"Burned. As if something had set the field alight. But only in some places. Knight-Brother Dorset said it seemed almost intentional."

Joseph nodded.

"Thank you. I have to attend this meeting. We'll talk afterwards."

Jeremy nodded and Joseph entered the room...

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:16 am

Votrex adopted a spot by the roaring fire and leaned on his axe, he growled to Gurt, 'What's the Crag saying?'

Gurt shrugged slightly,'He's saying how bravely everyone fought... Erm, and asking if anyone knows anything about the creatures which attacked... Hmmm, have you ever seen them before?'

Votrex rubbed his bright orange beard and squinted,'Can't say I have to be honest... But then I haven't been able to explore much of late - what with the war against the Skrvti... To me they are either some sort of hell spawn, or they were conjured by some powerful mage, with access to dark ancient powers... A Lich possibly... I'd only be guessing though...'

Gurt noticed the Lord's eye on him, so he smiled warmly, "Sir, as I'm sure you've gathered, I am quite well read, and my knowledge of bestiary is or so I thought quite comprehensive... However I have no idea what those creatures were or where they were from. Neither does Votrex, who has spent some time exploring the darker places under the earth... Hmmm, he does suggest that, from his experience they may be hell spawn or some creatures conjured by a powerful ancient mage - he actually suggested a Lich - but I personally don't think there are any Liches left..."

As he spoke Gurt felt a tingling by his side, he reached down into his satchel and felt the contents, sure enough one of the books was vibrating softly. He pulled it out and looked at it, only a few inches square but several inches thick, the ornate glittering cover shimmered in the light and an arcane glow could be seen between the silvery pages.

He dropped it into the bag sighing slightly, then noticed an eye or two on him, "I don't suppose anyone else here can read elvish?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:22 pm

"You'll not likely find anything on this earth even remotely similar to these creatures," Josylin said at last, finally speaking up, "They were summoned from another plane of existence."

Everyone in the room turned to look at her and Josylin swallowed a bit nervously. "I've heard of such spells existing," she continued, "Rumors and hearsay, mostly, but I've never actually seen one put into use. Usually the creatures summoned end up turning against their master--hellspawn have no allegiance, only a powerful wizard could keep them under control."

She stopped then and looked the Lord Castellan directly in the eye, "A human mage was behind this attack, I'm sure of it."

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:08 pm

"She is correct but she has also failed to see what was driving them. I did not want to say the name of the beast that by it's name those beasts were summoned. However since now we are within safe walls I will speak it's name. Shaitan, it what it is called." As Rajin said it's name he watched both dwarfs turn toward him, both with looks of shock on their face. Also saying the name outloud weaken Rajin even more. Josylin looked a little pale. The name of the dark one carried weight in the magical realm. Just saying was enough to cause some elves to get sick but Rajin knew he had to give the evil a name so that they could begin to fight it.

"As you can see, my friends here have heard the name. These mages serve it and the magic is dark and powerful. We must be on our guard. When they stike, they bring great numbers with them and if 'he' is ever relseaed from his prison, we are all in for hell on earth."