Blade and Sail: Tales of the Caribbean

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Elggarf looked over at the indignant would be cabin boy girl.

"Sorry lad, but I've not time fer a pleasant chat." The big man again turned to Aisha, and also realised that that perpetual drunkard John was on scene as well. "Aye, I 'eard he'd gone and got nicked. What what bugs me is this is Tortuga. Law? Here? Who's set 'emselves up as the authority then? Bless me but I am just a cook after all."

Elggarf had an uncomfortable hot feeling growing on the side of his face. He turned and noticed the young lad staring fit to slay an army at him.

"Are ye all right lad?" He looked between the disguised Jessibelle and the smirking Aisha. "Am I - interrupting?" he said in what he thought was the epitome of tactful speech.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:22 pm

There was no point in keeping it a secret anymore, the cat was already out of the bag thanks to Aisha. "For your information it's lass and yes, you are interrupting something... Or were interrupting something." Jessibelle stopped then and jerked a thumb over at the sailor who had pulled Aisha away. "Before he showed up, we were having a conversation here... But anyway, that doesn't matter now," she said, a slight glint in her eye as she quickly changed the subject. She never passed up an opportunity to make a bit of coin and what she saw right in front of her was just that sort of opportunity. "You said your captain was picked up by the authorities? They probably took him to the stockades. Fortunately for you, it just so happens that I'm pretty good at picking locks. I'd be glad to lend you a hand, provided the price is right, of course."
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 pm

"Ey? Lass you said?" Elggarf looked back at Jessibelle. His deep green eyes tracked her from head to foot and back again. "You sure about that?"

"Of course I'm sure!" snapped the girl.

Elggarf waved his hands in a conciliatory manner. "Lass lass I apologise. 'Tis me head full of worry to be sure, I mean no disrespectin'. And if'n you are offerin' to help, I'd be right greatful. I'd expect cap'n Seth to reward you with his right generous self too."

"Which still leaves me the question. Who be runnin' themself as the 'local authorities' then?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 pm

"Seth?" Jessibelle asked in astonishment, "As in Seth Flight?"

"Ye've 'eard of 'im," the sailor asked, arching an eyebrow at her. Jessibelle looked at the man as though he were daft. "Who hasn't heard of him," she demanded, and the sailor simply nodded at her, seeing her point.

Then she turned to Elggarf and the others. "How does a man like Seth Flight get himself captured in Tortuga?"

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Elggarf raised his arms to either side of himself, palms upwards, in an expansive gesture of ignorance. On a man his size, it suggested a whole lot of ignorance too, although the muscles across his shoulders suggested that it was perhaps a healthy ignorance and not something to be remarked on in an unfriendly manner.

"Shouldn't be possible to get nicked by the authoities here," He said. "But then, Seth loves to do the impossible." Elggarf grinned. Something's afoot, and I sure as sure don't know what. But it's keeping me from me bottlin' and bakin'." He slammed a fist into his other palm. "Can't say that all this here wonderin' isn't gettin' me a right bit fired up though. I want some answers, or at least some half decent questions."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:39 pm

"Well, here's an idea," Jessibelle said irritably, "Instead of running around saying 'woe is me' why don't we ask around town and see if anyone saw where they took him. That's all that matters, right? Getting him out? We can figure out who took him later."

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Elggarf pointed to the man that had earlier crashed through the shuttered window and sailed across the street, who was now happily unconcious and recumbent in the gutter.

"I asked him, but he didn't answer very politely."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:13 pm

Jessibelle sighed in exasperation. "Why don't you try letting me do the talking," she said very patiently. Then she turned around and unbuttoned her shirt, showing off just a bit of cleavage. Tipping her hat to one side she tried to make herself look as girly as possible. When she was ready she glanced about the street spotting a likely candidate and casually strolling up to him.

They talked for a moment or two, but the others were too far away to hear what was being said. Suddenly Jessibelle gave him a disgusted look then slapped the man right across the cheek. Buttoning up her shirt again she walked back to where the others were waiting, all with bemused looks on their faces. "He couldn't tell me much," she explained to them, "but he did say he saw a man being carted off in that direction."

She pointed down a side street towards the far end of town. "Well, what are you waiting for?" she asked them, "Let's go find your gold--er, I mean your captain."

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Aisha watched the girl, who had, until the very moment, been trying to pass herself off as a boy, proceed to "seduce" (if such a thing could be said about this one) one of the bar's many outed patrons. A slap and a curse later, she came flouncing back with somewhat of an answer.

"He couldn't tell me much," she explained, "but he did say he saw a man being carted off in that direction."

"Did he now?" said Aisha, chortling, arms akimbo as she exchanged an amused glance with Elggarf.

The girl pointed down a side street towards the far end of town. "Well, what are you waiting for?" she asked them, "Let's go find your gold--er, I mean your captain."

"Hmph," said Aisha thoughtfully. "And your name would be?"

The girl shot her an irritated look. "Why should I tell you?"

"I could just call you 'wench' and be done with it," said Aisha with a shrug, trailing off.

"Jessibelle." The girl snapped. "What's it t'you?"

"Useful," she said contentedly. "Name's Aisha."

Under normal circumstances, normal citizens would have shaken hands and exchanged frivolous pleasantries. However, these were not normal circumstances, and by no means were these normal citizens. Aisha tugged on her bandana and spun about on her heel.

"Off t'save the cap'n, then." And with that, she marched off down the cobblestones, if a wee bit tipsily.
Stop blowing holes in my ship!

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:56 pm

Strangely enough to Aisha and the others Jessibelle seemed unusually eager to help them out. She skipped along the road with them, not too cheerilly mind you, while occasionally flagging down a passerby to ask them some questions. Even Jessibelle had to admit she was acting a bit out of character, but that's how she usually got when money was involved... Or at least she hoped money would be involved, otherwise she wouldn't be doing this, right?

"So," she said suddenly, breaking the awkward silence between them. "I know her now at least, but what about the rest of you?"

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Elggarf looked at the smaller girl with a bemused grin, as she followed Aisha on her way. "Ye dont say someone got dragged off in Tortuga. Fancy that happenin."

At that moment, three large men trotted out from another direction, grabbed the other sailor that had earlier brought news of the captain's incarceration, and proceeded to drag him off, muttering something about paying up on a debt.

He shook his head. People got dragged off all the time in this place. But Seth Flight getting dragged off - that was unusual. Well - actually it wasnt, but - Seth getting dragged off in Tortuga, THAT was unusual. Well - OK that wasnt unusual either. Seth Flight getting dragged off by someone pretending to be the local authorities in Tortuga - no - OK the crux of the matter was really that there was someone who now represented the 'local authorities' here, THAT was unusual.

He was about to attempt to explain this, when Elggarf realised that the slightly tipsy Aisha and the younger lass were already strolling off in the new found quest to locate and liberate Seth Flight.

"Aww crikey ladies," he muttered to himself. "Ye best watch yah steps or ye'll be dragged off too." Th big man set off after the two women.

He caught up with them in time to hear the smaller girl ask "I know her now at least, but what about the rest of you?"

Elggarf grinned his grin. "Elggarf is the name. I am the ships cook, and I 'ave but two rules."

Aisha dug her elbow into the big man's ribs. "This aint no time fer rules."

"Err." was Ellgarfs only response.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:12 pm

The longer they walked the colder the trail became. Jessibelle led the way, stopping pedestrians here or there to ask about Seth Flight. Of course, since she never met the man she couldn't accurately describe what he looked like so her line of questioning went more along the lines of, "Have you seen a man being drug through here?" Jessibelle could tell that the others were beginning to lose their patience, but she was determined to find this captain. Both because she really wanted to meet him, and because she was being paid... Or at least she thought she was being paid.

At last the trail ended, and at the end of that trail was not quite what Jessibelle had expected. A man lay head first in a water trough, he seemed dazed, barely aware of where he was. As the party moved closer to investigate, Elggarf reached out a beefy arm to fish the man from the trough. It was the sailor they were speaking to earlier. One look at him and Jessibelle began to swear. "You gotta be kidding me," she said incredulously, "All this time we were following you?!"

"As I was tryin' ta tell ye, lass, people get dragged off all the time in Tortuga," Elggarf replied.

"Hmph," Jessibelle said and in frustration she kicked the side of the water trough with the edge of her foot, "Well, I didn't see the rest of you doing anything to help. I don't suppose any of you have a better idea?"

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:20 pm

"Yeah lad - err - lass." Elgaarf began, then corrected himself. "To be sure - a man dragged off is no rare trick - but - if we could work out who has set themselves up as the big man." He paused, then added, "Without getting in strife."

The big man looked around. "Damnit Jess, I'm a cook, not a detective." Elggarf turned to Aisha, who was - well - drunk. The big man sighed.

RileyKenobi
Supergirl

Post by RileyKenobi » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Aisha blinked slowly and frowned at Elggarf.

"Oh, don't look at me that way, you know very well m'perfectly -hic- fine," she said unconvincingly. But, in truth, her vision was quite well by now, and her motor skills were getting better by the minute. She'd be up to snuff in under an hour.

"Well, I didn't see the rest of you doing anything to help. I don't suppose any of you have a better idea?"

Aisha rounded on the girl quickly. "Help? This has very little to do with help, and much more to do with need," she said quickly, her face only a few inches from Jessie's, her breath sweet with fading rum. The girl leaned back with a distasteful expression on her face. "Now, you either make yourself useful properly, you liddle imp, or make yerself scarce."

"Hmph." Jessie crossed her arms and stood her ground.

"If'n he's been dragged off, then he's been dragged off to the slum they call a jail, 'ereabouts," said Aisha. She looked the cook up and down. "An' you're big enough to make an impression, methinks."

She paused in her awkward gait for a moment, her tasseled head swiveling back and forth ambivalently. She hiccuped again.

"This way." She pointed left, swayed right, and leaned into a left step that took her down yet another grimy cobblestone street, where, further along the path, there swayed an ill-kept sign with shackles on it. Very few could read, in Tortuga. Pictures were exceptionally helpful.
Stop blowing holes in my ship!

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:19 pm

Elggarf grinned at Aisha. For a lass she had fire, and bigger stones than some men - not that he was about to say as much or risk getting burned by that fire.

The big man moved to follow the somewhat erratic gait of the other woman - although she was definitely not without control of her actions. He mused to himself distractedly - he didn't much care for the sloppy motions of a drunkard, but the determination the woman was showing right now seemed to offset that somewhat. If only he could have known that Aisha was half fueled by angr at the captain for having been arrested instead of keeping his promised meeting with her.

The other - girl - her movements were very precise and controlled. Cat like, would describe her. Elggarf decided he liked that - until her deliberate and graceful movements included a deft picking of a passing drunk's pockets. Tortuga, he muttered inaudibly to himself, was full of thieves.

Well - seemed the plan was to pick a fight. Elggarf didn't like to be the one to start a fight, but - he loved being the one to finish them. He'd let Aisha do the talking, until the fight got started then.