Mutant Inc. 2 - Lines in the Sand

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm

ic:

Kody staggered to his feet, "I can," he began trying to talk through his hacking, "explain that."

"Jim and me both have split personalities inside of us," he explained, "I'm sure you've noticed me tapping into it."

There were a few nods and some just continued to stare, "Jim never used his so it grew on him and overtook him."

Jim then stepped in front of him brother, "I'm not saying it's an excuse for what I did to you and my brother. All I'm saying is that when I was around Bane it was harder to control."

Kody then put his hands on Sable's shoulders, "I got my brother back. I know we can't bring back Serenity, but we're going to make Bane regret he ever touched her," he looked right into her eyes seriously, "that much I can promise you."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Sable glared at Jim for a long moment before finally breaking the gaze and looking away. Her heart had taken a beating beyond anything she could have imagined before all this went down, and she found herself angry at Jim, and even Kody for the seemingly off-handed way they apologized. She chided herself for this train of thought, though, and after another long moment, she looked back at the twins.

"Alright. Kody, yes, I've seen your other self come out once or twice. But you stayed with us when it counted. And Jim... I say you're welcome back, but mine isn't the only voice that matters here. Just know, that if everyone else agrees, you'll be watched, carefully.

Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Kyle was shocked so shocked he nearly fell over, the only thing that stopped him was the amount of pain that shot through him bringing him into reality. "Hold on a sec here, I may trust Jim but I don't trust whiteout. How do we know your not going to just zap into him and kill one of us? I'm sorry Kody but the next betrayal may be the last." He looked to Jim sympathetically. "Even if it is unintentional." He sat back down fighting back the pain, it was starting to hurt more and more as the adrenaline wore off leaving him weak and sore.

Syn_the_Stampede

Post by Syn_the_Stampede » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:20 am

Julian nearly choked on his drink as he watched the man named Ryan split into Kody and Jim. "That wasn't really expected..." He studied the confrontation between Sable and the brothers.

"It seems that we run the risk of, from what I've heard at least, having a possible loose cannon on the team." Julian stretched in his chair. "Then again, as Kody so eagerly pointed out earlier, I wasn't there for the battle royal, so what do I know?" He then turned away from the conversation and began to finish his food.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 am

Marcus shook his head and gulped down the last of his drink, "Well, whats going on now... I have no idea... I DO however feel like another drink, if you'll all exscuse me for a moment while I recharge my glass..."

He stood up, noticed Sable glaring at him and started walking towards the study, with it's well stocked bar.

At Cyzor's tower Henry was scrolling through the database of known mutants. It was a subtable of mutants located in this city. They'd moved around most of the major cities already. This particular city, seemed like it had more mutant activity than most. He scrolled down.

Code: Select all

Reference: X#1ZZ000FX@Z18&##~127%7
Known Alias: Unknown.
Sex: Female
Description of Powers: This individual seems unable to sustain physical damage.  She has been observed resisting kinetic and thermal energy with little or no reaction.
Power Rating: 4
Current Whereabouts: Unknown.

Reference: £R$%$^3007F8@ZY8&##~127%7
Sex: Male
Description of Powers: This individual seems able control and create fire and radioactivity, his face has thus far remained hidden.
Current Whereabouts: Unknown. Last seen at the incident at the Bane building.

Reference: X#1ZZ940FX@FX@***$$Z18
Description of Powers: This individual seems able control and create Ice and extreme low temperature thermal effects.  
Current Whereabouts: Unknown. Last seen at the incident at the Bane building.

Reference: UUXZZ94@FX@*^^*$$IL:8
Description of Powers: This individual seems able to become smoke and has thusfar been unable to be damaged. Police reports include suggestions that he cannot be shot or captured.  CCTV footage of a police cell shows the individual escaping down a plughole as a plume of smoke.
Current Whereabouts: Unknown.  Last seen at the incident at the Bane building.

Reference: U99*&IK94@FX__+*$$IL:8
Known Alias: Bane.
Description of Powers: Our understanding of this individuals power is sketchy at best.  He seems able to emmit an aura of decay, but the limits of this power are impossible to judge due to his seeming unwillingness to display his power publicly.
Power Rating: Unknown

Reference: UYHJ84@FX@*[[~#=+$IL77
Description of Powers: This individual seems to be composed of a very hard, rock-like material.  Special forces reports indicate an ability to withstand armour piercing bullets with flesh.  He has also displayed great strength, agility and endurance

Reference: UMMZ994@FX-_-+##~@>$I<<
Sex: Female
Description of Powers: This individual seems able to shape shift into various animals and has the ability to grow and shrink wings.  She has been several times displaying these powers openly.  The mass of the creatures she can form seems not to be limited by her human form mass.

Henry tidied up the fields as best he could, there was alot more information missing, than information. He thought Miss Gray would be pleased though - the incident at the Bane buiding earlier that day had offered alot of footage for analysis...

Henry logged off for the night and flciked off his screen.

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:25 am

ic:

Kody glared at Julian before Jim stepped in between them, "Don't worry about him, Kody," he whispered.

Jim then turned to the group, "I know most of you don't trust me now, and I can tell most won't."

"The fact of the matter is my brother and I not only have these powers but another side of us to dig into for more power. I never knew how to control it, unlike my older brother here."

He then pulled up and chair at the table and sat down with Kody to get something in his stomach finally. "But, when we were together as Ryan," he looked up suddenly, "I'll explain that later."

"But, when we were together I felt like I shared every emotion with Kody and he with me. It'salmost as if everything he had learned I then learned and vice versa. So, in essense, I have learned to control my split personality an not let it control me."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:45 am

At the professors bar Marcus slid his glass softly onto the surface and retreated behind to get his holy grail again. The bottle was still more than half full, plenty of drink for another pint full.

Slowly he uncorked the bottle and savoured the aroma. He tipped the neck towards the glass, gently clinking it onto the lip.

'You weak pathetic FOOL!'

It was Serenity's voice, but so angry and twisted...

'How DARE you betray me?! How DARE you betray my memory!?'

Marcus slowed down his pour to a soft trickle.

'Leave me ALONE! I owe you NOTHING! You are DEAD, I saw it myself!'

'My memory will live on, in you, and all you will ever feel is bitterness and regret... Your power will diminsh, your ability to control your power and hold form will diminish... You will fade away to a faint whisper of smoke and blow away in the wind... Forgotten forever... Is that what you want?'

A solitary tear was forming on Marcus cheek now as he fought the feelings he was starting to experience.

'I don't know what I want... I do... I want a drink, I want to get drunk, i want to get so wasted I can't stand up... Maybe then I will be able to forget the miserable existance I am forced to endure...'

Serenity's voice was calmer now, not angry, not pleading.. More... Matter of fact...

'Simon Marcus Oakmere... Smokemare... You could be drunk with power... You could be a god... But you have to let go of the past, of pain and of drink... Or you will never be more than nothing...'

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:49 am

Bates had been watching the incident without comment, glancing at Marcus as he left. That guy will wreck my bar within a week, if he stays here, he thought to himself.

As he turned, Bates was fighting a battle with himself. The egocentrical, selfish John, the part of him that had helped him survive for the last few years, was fighting the selfless, do-good Johann, a part of him that had rarely manifested since the accident.

The John persona wanted to exploit the kids, manipulate them to give him power. The Johann persona, however, was suggesting the one thing Bates had feared since he discovered the change; that he reveal who he really was.

Weakness. It is pure weakness, he thought as he entered the living room. Just then, he noticed Marcus.

'I don't know what I want... I do... I want a drink, I want to get drunk, i want to get so wasted I can't stand up... Maybe then I will be able to forget the miserable existance I am forced to endure...'

Bates stared at Marcus. His emotions had to be strong, if he could hear his thoughts without concentrating. He walked up to Marcus and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"There is always light in the darkness, no matter how bleak it seems. Trust me on this ... Simon."
Last edited by Jagtai on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Marcus was to snapped back his senses by the hand on his shoulder...

'Simon... Simon... GRRRRR NOBODY CALLS ME SIMON!'

Marcys turned slowly to the professor, his eyes showed no white now, a simple glistening blackness, pure darkness. Smoke whisped out of his mouth as he spoke, "Professor... Don't call me Simon... People DON'T call me Simon... Call me Marcus... Or... Smoke... Mare..."

He tipped the bottle almost vertical, the absinthe gushing into the glass rapidly and spilling over onto the bar. Marcus then chugged back the remainder of the bottle, then picked up his glass and downed the pint in one swig, the stinging liquid felt like burning, emanating through his whole being... 'Hah! Another of these and I might feel something...'

He placed the glass, completely drained next to the empty bottle, " Oh, and Professor... Do you have any more of this? It's a refreshingly tasty beveredge..."

He was trying to feel calm, but he was burning with rage inside, desperately trying to look friendly, he was actually glaring menacingly at the professor, smoke whisping out of his mouth, nostrils and black, timeless eyesockets...

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:26 pm

Sable looked around at the others, having gotten the idea that they all shared her own sentiments about the brothers. "So, it's decided then? You're still with us. But I think that if we take on Bane again, it would be a good idea for you to stay behind. You've already admitted that around him, your other 'selves' start to come out." She lowered her head, finding it hard to keep her tough-girl facade. The day was wearing on, and the loss of her sister was wieghing on her heavily. "Beleive me, I know what it's like to feel something inside you... an uglier side of you. The other night I... I beat the crap out of my dad, because of something he did to Serenity. I didn't think, I didn't feel, I just acted out of rage. I still don't feel bad for it, but I realize now what kind of monster I can be. I won't turn my back on you."

Kraven and Darkstar rode back to the Bane building in relative silence, each of them lost in their own thoughts. Darkstars thoughts were increasingly of a self-aggrandizing nature. She had told Bane that she wanted to give him her daddy's money, but now, she was sure she would rather have it herself. Bane's idea of the eradiction of humanity was all well and good, but Darkstar would much rather rule them. It would mean killing a good many of them, but in the end, she was sure she could do it. With Kraven as King to her Queen, they could rule the world together, and mold it into a world where mutants were the supreme life-form, and humanity their slaves.

She didn't say anything yet to Kraven about this, as she knew he was still loyal to Bane. She was sure that with a little time, she could sway him to her point of veiw. With her newfound confidence and animal urgency, she was sure that she could have him eating out of the palm of her hands soon enough.

Matrix watched the news of eleven different stations at once, increasingly disturbed by the amount of mutant criminality in New York. On the east side, a gang leader with the alieas 'Xerox' was leading a gang of... himself. The man apparently had the ability to duplicate himself, and was causing a bit of mischeif by knocking over several gas stations at the same time. In the north, there was a group of three that had taken the turmoil of the city to start robbing jewelry stores; one of the three was climbing walls and spitting venom, another seemed to be invisible, and the third was making people fall asleep with a sweep of his hands. In New Jersey, a man going by 'Leo', with the ability to transform into a sort of lycanthropic lion, was terrorizing a neighborhood and easily evading police.

The local authorities were nonplussed, not having the training to deal with such metahuman threats. There was talk of bringing in the military, locking down the cities with martial law. Matrix knew the next step in that dance, and it didn't take a genius to figure it out.

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Bates glanced at Marcus.

Typical. I tell him there is light in the darkness, and he only hears 'Simon', he thought. He glared at the empty absinthe bottle. That bottle had cost him over 400 dollars.

"I'm afraid not, Marcus." He purposefully put pressure on the name. "Besides, that stuff isn't good for you."

Now that he was concentrating, he could read the most important memories and thoughts of Marcus, and the fire was the most illuminated memory of them all. He gambled, hoping Marcus would catch the gist of his meaning this time.

"You are wasting your time with your self-pity, Marcus. It wasn't your fault that you turned to smoke."

Syn_the_Stampede

Post by Syn_the_Stampede » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:43 pm

Julian caught Kody's glare with his peripheral vision. He was slightly surprised that Kody still held some ill will toward him. Julian turned and held his glare until Jim stepped inbetween them. He had to admit that Kody's attitude toward him as of late was wearing on his last nerve.

What's with this guy? I mean, I could have sugar-coated my last comment a little more, but...

Julian scanned over the brothers as Jim explained what the fusion did for him. His crimson orbs fell to the plate of half eaten food in front of him. Seeing Kody and Jim reunited only made him think of his own lost brother. He had been so caught up in being a part of a fight for mutant-kind that he had made no progress on finding his brother. That's what he had originally set out to do...

Should I leave the group? Hell, that won't do any good. I wouldn't know where to start looking anyway. Wait, maybe Professor Bates can help, or maybe that Matrix guy he mentioned. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:40 am

Slowly Marcus turned around to the professor and sighed, "I'm sorry professor... I didn't mean to be offensive... I really don't want to talk about it... I'd like a drink, though if you don't have any more absinthe do you have anything similar?"

He glanced then across the row of bottles, there was nothing as interesting, but he did notice a small bottle of Polish Vodka, 77% Volume. Before the professor could protest he whipped the bottle up and uncorked it, pouring a fresh glass, "I appreciate your concern, and your kindness professor... But drinking really doesn't seem to affect me in the slightest, no matter what the strength or amount I drink... Not in the normal sense anyway. I know it's not my fault I turn to smoke, I sometimes wish I knew how it worked, or if there was a way to stop it..."

His glass full to the brim again, he took a big swig, but still leaving plenty in the glass, "You know I can't actually hurt myself? I've thrown myself off buildings, into machinery, into water... I always automatically revert to smoke... I've actually felt better the last couple of days, ever since... Well... Sables sister, she did something to me and it's alleviated some of the problems to a degree. Changing back and fourth from smoke form was very uncomfortable and it had been getting worse for years... It was crippling a couple of days ago, your mouth tastes like it's full of ash, your eyes stinging and blurry vision, difficulty breathing. Hmmm, I not sure how, but Serenity solved most of these issues, at least in the short term... And now Bane has killed her..."

He chugged his new drink, not as flavoursome as the absinthe, still offering his battered mental state some comfort.

"You know... I can't understand it... The others... They seem so... So unaffected somehow. She was very special, Serenity and she was killed only a few hours ago... But even her sister, Sable, carrying on about fighting crime and what we're going to do about Bane and everything... She doesn't seem to mourn her sister much... I don't know maybe it's her way of dealing with it - push it to back and try to think of other things... It doesn't seem right though..."

'It IS her way of dealing with things... It may not seem right, but it's better than YOUR way of dealing with things... Destroying the professors Bar isn't going to solve anything!'

It was Serenity's voice sounding almost mocking this time.

'SHUT UP! GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE! IT MIGHT... MIGHT MAKE ME FEEL BETTER... AND IF NOT, IT MIGHT MAKE ME FORGET!'

'People are trying to help you Marcus, you are duty bound to start acting responsibly... You are Smokemare, and you can be someone, someone important, someone people rely on... You have to let go of the self-pity and self-hate, and the drink... Before it destroys you utterly.'

Marcus shook his head, Serenity's voice fading away in his head, "I'm sorry professor, it's been a really tough couple of days... I'm finding it hard to keep my head together."

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:28 am

"I can see." Bates caught Marcus' eye. "Marcus, I am a famous geneticist. If you want, I can try to help you. Maybe the answer to your troubles can be found in your genes."

He poured himself a glass of bourbon. "Besides, those voices in your head are right, you know. Your self-hate will only lead you to your destruction. I don't think that's what your family would have wanted."

Though he seemed as casual as before, Bates was prepared in case Marcus tried to attack him. His left hand hid a tiny ball of energy...

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:01 am

Marcus frowned softly, "Voices in my head? I don't recall mentioning voices in my head... I don't hear voices professor - I may appear pre-occupied sometimes in that I 'think to myself', but I can assure you I DON'T hear any voices..."

The professor frowned at this but allowed him to continue, "My family? I never really knew them anyway - they were all always pre-occupied to take any interest in me so I returned the favour. I'd rather I forgot about them, hmmm, I felt almost reborn as a new person anyway once I realised what had happened to me... Sure I still have memories, and they hurt but... It's better to look forwards, when you can..."

Genes...

"Hmmm, I don't really know if you could even analyse my genes, I am impossble to cut or stab, thusly it is impossible to take a blood sample to examine... I'm not even sure I still have blood... In the normal sense anyway...."

Marcus leaned back on the bar and sipped his pint of Vodka, gazing whistfully across the room at the professors fine art.

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:32 am

"No voices, eh? What about Serenity?"

The professor smiled.

"You didn't mention them, Marcus."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:00 am

Marcus scowled at the professor a new.

'Grrrr, thought reader?! Hmmph, so now my own head isn't private... Grrr, no... Don't change... Reason with him, don't change, don't change....'

"Professor, I'm not sure how you're reading my mind, but I can assure you - that you are mis-interpretting what you are reading, I think to myself and recently I've begun thinking to myself in the voice of Serenity."

The professor was looking smug, this disconcerted Marcus even more.

"I don't wish to get into a confrontation with you Professor - in fact if you push me to it, I will simply leave. Lets NOT hear anything more about voices or any similar rubbish... You're unnerving me..."

He chugged another swig of the vodka and eyed the professor suspiciously, "You're not really, simply a professor and geneticist are you? Who or WHAT are you?"

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:59 am

"I have no interest in a confrontation, Marcus. I just want to help."

The energy ball dissipated as fast as it had appeared. Bates looked at Marcus.

"You are right, I am not quite what I seem. Have you not wondered why I agreed to help you so quickly?" He smiled, a reassuring smile meant to calm down Marcus. "There is one fact I have managed to hide from my peers - a fact you may have guessed already."

The professor took a sip of his bourbon and continued.

"I am a telepath. I can read the thoughts and see the memories of others. But do not worry, Marcus; I have not been reading you all night. However, your emotions when you think to yourself as Serenity, are so strong that I could not help 'hearing' them."

He sighed.

"But I was out of place. Please, forgive my intrusion. One's thoughts are one's sanctuary, and I had no right to intrude on yours. I am sorry."

He looked sincere, as he awaited a reply...

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:21 am

Marcus frowned softly, "Hmmph! I told the others I didn't trust you 100%, but I do trust you... A bit... You've shown us nothing but kindness. Although maybe that's why I was suspicious - wasn't it Damocles who said 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer... *sigh* anyway, apologies accepted - you should tell the others about your 'telepathy' as I don't want to have to... It would be better coming from you..."

He chugged the vodka back again, draining the glass to about half full, Marcus then reached for the bottle and talked as he poured, "I'm in a similar boat to yourself... Some of them hadn't seen me before... I only met up with them at the church the night before last... So we have something in common there... Still, we should go back in before they wonder where we've gotten to, I'll just top up my glass again."

The pour finished only when the liquid was level with the brim of the glass. Marcus picked it up and drank it to an easy to carry level, savouring the razor sharp flavour and burning sensation. He offered a look of sympathetic understanding to the professor, implying that 'we're all in this together, we'd better try and make the best of our situation.'

Sighing deeply he turned his back on the professor, again, more as a gesture of restrained trust than indignance or disrespect. Slowly he walked into the dining room and cast his eyes about the table. Sable was looking dissapprovingly at him again. It hurt Marcus to see her look at him as such.

' Dammit, she's looking at me like THAT again... Dammit, here she is barely an adult - but she wants to save everyone and change the world... Hah! Maybe that's why I'm starting to grow so fond of her... No... Forget it... She'd too young and I'm too screwed up... Hah! There's no scope for romantic foolishness in this current situation even if circumstances were different... SHIT! The professor had better NOT be listening to this! Grrr... Think about something else...'

As he walked to his seat alongside Sable he started picturing himself fighting, swinging his twin-blade and battling a near invinciible foe...

Desperately keeping up the fascade in his head he took his seat next to Sable and sipped his drink, avoiding her look as best he could...

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:33 am

ic:

Jim smiled at Sable, "Thank you, Sable. I appreciate it."

Then Kody walked up to Sable and using his finger he lifted Sable's head to look her in the eyes, "You're not a monster, Sable. Sure we lose control," he then gave a small smirk, "I mean look at us. The thing is we all know it's not you, just like I know that this 'Whiteout' isn't Jim. We're all here with you for the long haul."

He then looked directly into Sable's eyes, "I'll always stay with you, always remeber that."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:30 am

Sable shook her head, not denying or rejecting his words, but disagreeing with them. When she spoke, her voice was choked with the emotion she had been keeping in check. "No, you can't... you can't say that. Even if you stay loyal, there's always the possibility that you'll.... end up like Serenity. Any one of us could die, in a blink of an eye." A single tear trickled down her face, and she felt someone's hand on her shoulder, trying to console. She shied away from the touch and continued, "You're all like family, even you, Jim. That's why it hurt me so bad to see you... you know. When Serenity died... when she was murdered, I realized that any one of you could be next. I don't want to love you all the way I already have come to, but I can't help that now. I have no right to ask you all to keep fighting beside me... but you're going to, because that's who you are now. And I'm so damned sorry for getting you all into this. But nobody can promise that they'll never leave... because sometimes it happens without your consent."

Finally, the dam broke. She had held it in as much as she could, she had been the tough girl for as far as he strength could take her, and now her strength failed. She plopped back down to her chair, and dropped her head into her hands. The tears she had been denying followed that first one, and soon, they were out of control. She did not sob loudly, nor did she bawl, but the tears flowed steadily and she began to shake.

Serenity... oh God what have I done?

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:46 am

Marcus shuffled uneasily in his seat. Sables tears making him feel uncomfortable.

'Dammit... She's not been doing that well after all... God, at least she's getting it out...' He moved to put his arm around her, offer her a hug... Then thought better of it and retreated, supping his drink.

'God, I wish I could say something to her... Gah! It's not my place, she probably just wants some space right now...'

Chugging his drink back again his clicked his glass onto the table and addressed the group, "Dammit, it's been a long day today... This morning seems like a lifetime ago..."

His brow furrowed, 'Should I tell her? The fact that I was there and could have saved them? Gah! All it would have taken was to wake them up and tell them to leave... Grrr! No - they wouldn't have believed me... Keep my bloody stupid mouth shut... God I could have saved them! Grrr!'

Tears were not something that Marcus had been able to produce since the fire, but his facial muscles tensed up in the way that a crying mans did. Desperately he sought to hide it, somebody had to at least be percieved as still being strong...

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:27 am

ic:

Kody looked to Sable as she sat down, "Don't be sorry for anything you gave us a place to go and for that I am in your debt."

He then turned to Jim, "She's taking it really hard."

Jim nodded slowly, "I wish that we knew the right thing to say but for now she needs her space and time to face her own problems."

Kody also nodded at this, "You're right, Jim. I just wish I knew the right thing to say."

Jim then smiled and put his arm aound Kody, "Sometimes there are no right things to say. But then again, sometimes the right thing to say is what you're thinking in your heart."

Kody smiled as Jim continued, "She needs us now more than ever, and I know how she feels. I don't want to lose anyone here, I know you feel the same way since you've been with them longer than I have."

"I know what you mean, Jim. So for now, let's just sit down and try to make the best of all this."

Syn_the_Stampede

Post by Syn_the_Stampede » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:35 pm

His heart sank at seeing Sable in such a state, but her words rang true. He saw the people in the room for who they truly were; family. Until this exact moment he hadn't fully realized how much he actually did care about them. He had callously told himself that his brother could be his only family, but that wasn't true.

I've been hiding my true feelings behind an emotional barrier that I didn't even know was there. He shook his head in near disbelief.

Julian was glad that he had this surprising epiphany, but not at the expense of Sable breaking down. His eyes slowly rose from the table to Sable's shaking form. He wanted to use his powers to whisk her away to a private place where she could be alone, but he didn't even have the courage for that. He felt that he had unintentionally distanced himself from the group by not being there when they needed him the most. Julian made up his mind to remedy that starting right now.

Julian pushed his chair back, stood up, and walked over to Kody. "I apologize for the way I acted earlier. I should have been more understanding of the predicament that you and your brother were in." With a final pat on Kody's shoulder, he moved to Sable.

"Would...you like me to take you to a place where you can be alone?"

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:41 am

Bates decided now was as good a time as ever.

"Excellent speech, my dear Sable. That reminds me - Matrix offered that you could stay at his institute, and use it as a base. If you wish, I can take you there tonight."

He looked at everyone.

"I assure you, Matrix can be trusted. I have great respect for him as a scientist. And you will be safe there."

He looked at Marcus, then back at the others.

"Also, I have a secret. You have all been wondering whether you could trust me, me being human and all. As a matter of fact, I am not human."

His next words appeared in their heads, the professor's lips never moving.

"I am a telepath. I am one of you."

Topgun220
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:11 am

Seeing Sable breakdown was hard to do, Kyle wanted to cry right next to Sable. Show her that he felt the same way, family was something Kyle never really had and these kids were as close to brothers and sisters as he could ever hope to find. He listened to Bates slightly paying little attention to his words but then he heard his voice in his head. Kyle slowly turned to Bates but couldn't say anything, he was too upset. He just laid his head back against the chair and closed his eyes trying to calm himself down.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 am

It took several moments for Sable to get a hold on herself, and register wha the professor had said. A small part of her wanted to rail at him for deceiving them, but she was beginning to get the idea that it may well be the 'default', maybe for the rest of her life. Until mutants were better accepted in common society, it would be like this. Some mutants would be enemies, others would be neutral, and still others were potential allies. The only problem was in telling the difference, not to mention knowing whether the winds will change at any given time.

"Matrix?" Sable wondered, the name sounds like one of the nom de plumes they all had now, a mutant name. "I'm too tired to even object. If that's where the Professor Bates says we might be safe, then I say let's give it a shot. We've already proven we can fight our way out of a sticky place anyway, so if it comes to it, we can do it again." Oh, but she was so tired. She just wanted to lay down and die for a little while.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:21 am

After the professor's revelation of his powers, he excused himself to make a call to the man he called Matrix. Within the hour, a limosine was pulling up outside the professor's home, and a driver informed them that he was there to take them to the Matrix Technological Institute of Science.

The trip across town went by uneventfully, with little talk between everyone inside. It seemed everyone had their own thoughts to be lost in. When the limo pulled up outside MTIS, Sable was disappointed to see that it appeared to be like every other skyscraper in the city. Inside, however, was a different matter.

A security guard met them inside the front door, and led them all to a bank of elevators. He used his card-key to summon the express elevator to the penthouse, and the ride up the sixty-four stories went by amazingly fast, with little in the way of noise or even a feeling of motion. As the doors opened, the team was greeted to a sight of a huge loft-style room that sported a bank of television screens that dominated the far wall. A modern-style desk was situated in the middle, with several peices of computized equipment built in.

Standing in front of the desk, with his hands behind his back, was a man who appeared to be in his late twenties, perhaps early thirties. His form was lean, made more pronounced by the black suit he wore, and the stylish shades that he wore despite the dim lighting of the room. His raven hair was waby, but immaculately styled. He was clean shaven, and stood stock still, as if he might be a mannequin. This illusion was dispelled as he spread his arms wide, and a smile tinged his lips.

"Greetings, fellow mutants. My name is Martin, but I prefer to be called Matrix, by those of my kind. Welcome to my home."

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:39 am

ic:

Kody and Jim exited the elevator cautiously, the last time they were in a nice place like this it turned into the nightmare that was Bane.

"What do you think, lil bro?" Kody whispered the Jim.

"I'm not sure, he seems alright, but that's also what we thought about Bane," he looked Matrix up and down, "we should try to keep an eye open."

"I agree," Kody answered.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:04 pm

Marcus had sat silently throughout the trip. His thoughts of Sable, Serenity, the bizarre way reality seemed to have caught up with everyone at teh same time just now...

Things had been moving so fast, it seemed like a week rather than a day. He wondered what Bane was doing at this point, where Seraphim had left to... She'd seemed nice... He could understand why she'd left though...

The building they'd been brought to was as impressive as the Bane building, this seemed rather ominous. However their host seemed honest and open... He didn't get the same feeling of unease that he got from the professor for some reason.

He couldn't hear what the twins said exactly, but he heard them whisper and got the jist of their conversation.

'Hmmm, they're right... It's difficult to know who to trust...'

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully and slowly approached this 'Matrix', "Fellow mutant? Hmmm, what exactly are you afflicted with if I may ask? You're not a telepath like the professor I hope..."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Matrix smiled enigmatically "I do not consider my gift an affliction, my friend. My mutation is a mental one, I accede, but not in the realms of ESP. Rather, my brain has a tendancy to reconstruct itself, to better facilitat the act of thinking, and storing memory. The last comprehensive scan I performed on myself shows that my memory capacity and recognitive time is roughly that of a Cray supercomputer, perhaps a bit better. But enough about me, I've already made a number of assumptions about each of your own powers, from the footage that has been provided." He waved at the bank of screens behind him.

"I'll admit a high level of curiosity. I would most enjoy studying each of you in depth, with the aim of possibly increasing your natural prowess, or at least giving you a means of fine-tuning them. But do not think that I have brought you here simply to be lab rats." From his pocket, Matrix produced a slim remote control. As he pushed a few buttons, sections of the floor rotated up to produce comfortable seating to accomodate about twelve. "Please, have a seat, while I explain myself further."

He moved around the desk and took a seat at the high-backed office chair. With a few touches of his control console, the screens behind him went dark. "You see, I have noticed three times now, by news footage, that you seem to be fighting against a few mutants that I know to be rather bad ones. The one called Fusion, for one, and though I have no hard proof of it, I beleive that Alexander Bane employs several mutants to extend his own power. You already seem to display a desire to 'right the wrongs', as it were, and I would like to formally offer you employment in that field. The city has become a hotbed of mutant activity, and most of it bad. We need mutants who will fight those that seek control, and power, else mutant-kind as a whole will suffer. I offer training, boarding, study, and gear, if you accept my offer."

"What do you mean? Like, you'll train us? Put us up?" Sable demanded, distrustfully.

"I will not train you, I will allow you to train yourselves. I saw the need for such a team years ago, and made provisions for it. Three levels of the Matrix building are dedicated to boarding apartments, and training areas. Workout equipment of my own design, and obstacle courses. I hope to have a prototype of a pseudo-matter hologram projection device ready soon, so that you could actually train against programmed, holographic versions of actual mutants. That is still some time away, though, as my work in that field has been stumped by power restrictions. But I digress.

"I hold patents on many advances in technology, which have made me quite a wealthy man. I can afford to pay you each handsome salaries, if money is what you desire. I would not presume to be your leader, as I am sure that the lot of you have already elected one within yourselves. I would rather be a counselor, financeer, and benefactor of your group."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:14 am

Marcus sat silently listening to Matrix spell out the situation. His motives were still unclear as far as he was concerned. The seats were comfortable and high tech.

'Hah! Getting paid... That's a novel thought... Hmmm, what I could I use money for? ...I suppose I could start paying my bar tabs...'

The slithness of his comment made him half expect Serenity's voice to retort, but he was met with mental silence.

'Hmmm, perhaps I'm going to be left alone now?'

'You are never alone...'

It was faint, like a whisper, a long way off, but it was clearly Serenity...

He drew his attention back to the discussion, there was mistrust in Sables voice... But maybe a little relief as well, she had a dream... A strange dream, that would have been difficult to follow with their own resources...

Leader? Marcus hadn't really thought about it... As far as he seemed there didn't seem to be a leader as such. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Hmmm, it's an interesting proposal... I'd be interested in giving it a shot... We can always walk away if it isn't working out."

'Hmmph! Leader!? I neither lead, nor follow... I won't be led or controlled... I hope no 'leader wannabe' gets too big for their boots and starts trying to issue orders, because that will be my que to leave... Despite how I feel about this endeavour... And these kids...'

Syn_the_Stampede

Post by Syn_the_Stampede » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:07 am

"You've definitely got my vote," Julian said with a nod as he looked around at the others. His crimson eyes danced from one person to the next. He was excited to get things underway. They could really get things done with a backing like this.

This guy is unreal and this is too good to be true. That could be a bad or good thing...

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:27 am

Bates winced when Smokemare mentioned his telepathic powers. Matrix was the only one who could make the connection between him and Malice, especially if the professor displyed his other powers. He liked Matrix, but he was too oriented towards justice for his taste.

Bates had robbed several banks as Malice. Granted, he had not stolen such amounts as to ruin the bank or its customers - one time, he had even 'returned' the money when he found out that the bank placed the loss on the customers, especially the elderly - but he wasn't sure if Matrix, let alone these idealistic teens, would be able to forgive him.

Bates decided to talk to Matrix about it, when they were alone. Matrix was well aware that Bates and Malice knew one another, and perhaps Matrix would forgive Malice's past transgressions.

He kept quiet, content to watch and listen...

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:59 am

Sable's head was spinning. How strange was it that she had mentioned earlier about forming some sort of 'crime-stoppers' (as corny as it sounded), and now this man was offering her and the rest the oppurtunity to do just that. She didn't trust it, but then, she had learned not to trust too easily, the hard way. She couldn't think clearly now. Though they had been given a chance to rest at Professor Bates' house, she had not slept well, plagued by nightmares. Sje scrubbed at her eyes, feeling far older than she was.

"If everyone else is down for it, then so am I. But you should know, Matrix, that Bane doesn't just hire mutants to do his dirty work. He is a mutant, and a powerful one."

Matrix quirked an eyebrow at this bit of news. He had long suspected it, but Alexander Bane had been quite circumspect in his private life. He waited to see how the others woud react to his offer before he went further with his explanations.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:15 am

***** WARNING - RRR Rated Extreme Violence. *****

The hidden, subterranean exit from Cyzors building opened silently and three shadowy figures crept fourth into the cool night air. The occasional car occasionally whizzed past the end of the alley, despite it being well past midnight.

The three figures made their way to the end of the alley and checked for suspicious behaviour before stepping out onto the main street. The three men are all similarly and smartly dressed, in sharp black suits, but they are not wearing ties or shoes. They are all young men, in their mid to late teens or very early twenties. The one who seems to be leading the way is of short stature, and light build, he's very obviously of asian origin and has very short cropped black hair, with a pattern resembling runes or similar carvde into the crew cut style.

Behind him walks a young black man, tall and lean, again with short hair, eyeing the streets suspiciously as he walks. The last of the three is not quite so tall, a little younger looking than the others, he walks with a kind of casual swagger and cocky arrogance, his long white hair billowing softly in the gentle breeze.

The oriental addressed his accomplices, "Merc, Ex - you know the plan?"

The black man replied first, "Yep, which way to the station?"

The younger guy, was flicking a piece of gum into his mouth and he began chewing as he answered, "Isn't it at the end of 42nd Street? Intersecting the main highway? They're sure to be held in the larger station."

Silently the three strode through the streets to their destination, it was quite a walk, but at this hour they were relatively unhindered by busy streets and rushing cars.

Soon they came to the end of 42nd Street, the police station was large and looming, bright lights at all the windows. They were very clearly still open for business. Exor rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Mesmero? You going in?"

Smiling the asian nodded and strode confidently up to the doors of the police station, his brow furrowed slightly as if in concentration. As he approached the door an exiting officer saluted him, "Sir!" He smiled back at them and strode through the doors.

Inside the station was utter chaos, behind the secure counter he could see piles of papers spilling off desks, police men and women standing drinking coffee and bickering amongst themselves. He strode up the security door and motioned for attention from one of the guys behind the desk, "Sergeant, let me in!" The officer was immedietly in panic fumbling with the lock trying to open the door, "Yes Sir! Right away sir!"

He saluted neatly as Mesmero walked through into the staff area. As he walked in he scanned the room. At the far end of the office he noticed a plain clothes officer leading a man looking like a tramp out of the interview room. He walked accross the office, officers stepping sharply out of his way as he approached. When he got to the interview room he gestured towards the plain clothes, "Detective, have we discovered anything about the bank heist?"

The man, in his late thirties, looked tired and frustrated. "It doesn't make any sense sir... He claims a couple of kids appeared in this old car, saying they were going to scrap it and gave him the keys."

Mesmero rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Kids eh? Did he get a good look at them?"

The detective laughed sharply at this, "Well he's not too good with words, but he thinks he could identify them."

Mesmero nodded silently, "And the staff at the bank, the officers who attended the scene?"

Scratching his head the detective sighed deeply, "It doesn't make a great deal of sense sir, we think they're mutants - again. one of them looked like a statue and the other was a young girl... None of them have got any more useful information than that, the CCTV system was destroyed in the carnage... We're thinking of doing a photo-fit with tramp who took the car, then comparing it to the police officers at the banks reports."

"Hmmm, good work detective, have the officers filed reports yet?"

"No sir, they've all gone home for the evening."

"Hmm, good, and which officers were at the bank, can you get me their files?"

Soon Mesmero was striding out of the station, with a stack of emplyoee files under his arm. Inside officers were scratching their heads, someone really important had just paid a visit to the station... But they couldn't seem to remember who, or what for? Soon the memory faded away like a waking dream, leaving barely a vague feeling that they might have forgotten something.

Back in the alley Mesmero walked up to Exor and Mercury, "I've checked out the progress and we've got a little work to do - not much, but a litte."

Mercury frowned,"Hmmph! Why are we doing all this shit anyway? I thought Cyzor would have got rid of them now... Haven't they done the standard three jobs?"

Exor replied, "She seems to think they are worth a couple more jobs, and our cleanup wouldn't be too much trouble... You can argue it with her when you get back if you want..."

Mercury rolled his eyes and went silent. Mesmero, still holding the files raised his hand to get the others attention, "Now listen, we have to fix the tramp who took the car, then take care of a view police officers. I'll create a distraction, and you two take out the vagrant."

Casually he walked away from them and leaned against the wall of the police building concentrating hard, soon screams could be heard inside. Before long a shout of 'Get me another Fire extinguisher! Hurry - get everyone up here! Call the fire service!' could be hear inside. It was wokring like a charm.

Outside Mercury stood facing the wall, in a plce where Mesmero had indicated the cells were. Exor furrowed his brow, then stepped forwards and shoved Mercury hard, he blipped out of existance, leaving only a faint smell of sulphur and a soft glow on Exors hands.

Inside the cell Thomas O'Grady was sleeping soundly, he'd had a tough day, first thinking he'd been given a car, then the arrest, the questioning and now a night in the cell with a promise of more questioning tomorrow... Still he'd been given a meal and some coffee, something that was a rare treat for him these days.

Mercury blipped into existance under the CCTV Camera and forming his arm into a long thin blade he speared it, formed a hook and ripped the guts of the camera onto the floor.

The cracking woke Thomas up, but it was too late, Mercury held a hand over his mouth - like an iron vice, utterly immovable. With his other hand he pushed the mans left eyelid up out of the way and tucked his finger under it, up against his skull.

The muffled screams could not be heard over the panic of trying to put out the fire. Shrugging his shoulder to get more force and forming his finger into a wire thin spike Mercury penetrated his skull and wiggled his elbow back and fourth. He continued this, rotating and swirling the blade. As the expression on the mans face faded into a grimace of confusion and stupor, Mercury pulled his blade out fromt he mans skull and admired his handiwork.

"How are you feeling old man?" A wicked grin on his face as he mocked his victim.

"Grrflgl... Ooyu!?"

Seeing his work was done Mercury stood back smirking at the mentally destroyed wreck on the police bed.

Outside Mesmero halted his mass illusion and motioned towards Exor,"He's had enough time - pull him back."

Motioning a pulling motion Mercury blipped into existance out in the alley. He was smirking evily, "Mission accomplished - he won't be able to give them any information now. What's next?"

Mesmero waved the files at them, "We need a car, and we need to pay some visits. These officers are going to have an accident tonight."

After walking for a couple of blocks they found a deserted street with some suitable vehicles. Quickly Mercury placed his finger over the lock and form filled the correct key, he twisted his wrist and the doors sprang open. Within a few minutes they were outside the address of the first officer on the list. Mesmero exited the vehicle, "Wait here, I'll get them out." He dissapeared into the apartment block and was soon followed by a slightly confused looking officer.

The three followed the officer as he drove his car a couple of blocks, Mesmero smiling, but concentrating all the way, "Don't worry, he knows what he's doing - I won't even have to leave the car now."

Soon the officer had driven around town picking the other four officers who were due to make a report on the bank. With Mesmero, Mercury and Exor in tow the car headed out towards the dockyard. As they drove towards the docks the officers car started swerving wildly and sped up, then plunged over the edge of the dock into the harbour.

Mercury was frowing at Mesmero at this point clearly confused, "What the hell did you make THEM think!?"

Mesmero smiled warmly, "Oh... That would be telling - but they;ve had a real adventure tonight, they've been dealing with conspiracy plots, drugs deals, setups, car chases... They thought the new bridge across the harbour would have been the perfect escape route..."

Exor growled, "Grrr, c'mon, let's get this car back and get back to the tower, we've done the job, lets go!"

Soon the car was parked up where they;d found it, with a little less fuel but otherwise exactly as they'd found it. After a short walk they were back in the tower, waiting in the elevator to be taken to their accomodation.

Mesmero was smiling warmly, "Good work you too, Cyzor will be pleased."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 am

Matrix stood from his desk and walked back around it, gesturing toward the lift. "Very well, then. As much as I would like to speak with each of you, I am sure you are tired. I'll show you to your apartments, and give you some time to settle in."

The lift took them all down two levels. The trip was so quick, it seemed the doors had simply slid shut, then opened again, facing a different room. The elevator led out into a large lounge area, equipped with a large screen plasma television with a built media players of several kinds. The corners of the room sported tower speakers. For seating, several comfortable sofas and chairs were spread out across the large area. Several bookcases containing a variety of books both fictional and non, as well as games of every kind. "The common lounge. Each of your rooms are equipped with smaller televisions and media readers. Just beyond that door is the kitchen area, which you will find well stocked. Each of your rooms have their own restrooms. Once I get to know you, I'll have my staff customize each room to your special needs. For instance your room," he nodded at Kyle, "Will be grounded, and insulated from all the other rooms."

He indicated the elevator next. "You are not prisoners here, or students to be kept in a dormitory. If you wish to leave, the elevator will take you to the lobby. Once I've spoken with each of you on a private basis, and ascertained your trustworthiness, I'll also provide you with security codes you can use to visit other areas of the building. Until then, if you wish to come to my office, simply use the communications panel, and I will override the security lock-outs. Also, if you wish anything to be delivered, it will go first to the security desk, and it will then be brought up to you by one of my own security guards. Do you have any questions?"

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:07 am

Marcus gazed around their new surroundings, it was plush, very plush. The plasma screen dominated the room more than anything, he considered. It was quite strange the thought of having access to so much equipment and luxury, after so long living homelessly, never eating or sleeping, only ever really sitting in bars, or atop high buildings, contemplating the futility of his situation.

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully for a moment, then turned to their host, "Hmmm, it's very generous of you to provide us with this accomodation... I probably should tell you from the off, that I have some rather more severe differences to a normal human than the others. I never eat or sleep, at all, ever... I can't actually - I've attempted both activities on several occasions, but my physiology doesn't seem to allow either..."

He paused a moment for what he'd explained to register, then continued, "I do like a drink though. The professor kindly allowed me to drink a bottle of his best absinthe just before we left his dwelling... I would very much like a large supply of it..."

He noticed Sable glaring at him again, her brow furrowed and folding her arms tightly.

'Hmmph! Good god, what does she think? She's my mum or something?! Gah, she can't even be fifteen yet!'

Ignoring Sable frowning, he shrugged softly at Matrix, "If it's no trouble of course..."

'Hah! Some mutant crime fighter! Smokemare, on his deadly quest to rid the world of alcohol... *Sigh* I've got to get a grip here... '

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:00 am

Sable turned away from Marcus, holding her tongue. He knew how she felt about that kind of thing, and she felt insulted that he would disregard it so lightly. To go so far as to even ask their host to supply him with it! Still, he had helped out, at the church and at Bane's building. Had it not been for that, she would have let him have it right then.

Matrix's eyebrows rose as he replied "I'm sorry, but absinthe is actually quite illegal in the United States. Though, I am sure there are many means of acquiring it, I would rather not make a habit of supplying my employees with controlled substances. However, I will not be as presumptious as to tell you what you can and cannot do with your salary." He stroked his chin for a moment, and continued "A consideration: You say you do need to eat, or drink. I can only assume that your mutation is such that you metabolize nutrients from the air around you. If this is the case, then the consumption of alcohol would have little, if any, effect on you. I should say that your desire for alchol is largely psychological."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:53 am

Marcus rubbed his chin and gazed whistfully at the ceiling, as if in deep thought. "Hmm, very astute observations... And you are correct, I do seem to have drink an inhuman ammount of alcohol to feel any effects whatsoever... *sigh* I guess more than anything I miss the feeling of being drunk..."

He shrugged and began pacing slowly about, "I can feel effects... But it takes alot... I had two and a bit pints of absinthe and half a bottle of polish vodka so far tonight and I feel fine..."

'Nutrients from the air... Interesting...'

He chortled softly... "So you're saying I should try going swimming in absinthe?"

He was smiling at the thought, but somewhat dismayed at Sables obvious show of disgust.