The Doldrums of Life

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

The Doldrums of Life

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Rated Arrr for Piraty Action, not to mention potential violent behavior, sexual content, use of language, and the most deffinite consumption of rum.

The bunk was hard, lumpy and uncomfortable on more levels than Brady could count. Yet the hard bunk and stale biscuit were the least of his worries at this point. In fact, even having a biscuit could be considered a positive. Brady was in jail, a smelly, rotting, foreign jail. For this was Santiago, in the heart of the Caribbean -- and in Santiago, stealing a few coins here and there was illegal. Brady had planned to give it back when he had gotten his ship patched up and in working order.

He laid down on the bunk; put his hands behind his head on the small yellow pillow. The pillow had some ungodly smell that Brady didn’t even want to think about. His ship was his life, now it was sitting idle in the port. It was his baby, it was. Had had it for over 10 months now, it wasn’t much, a small ship. He had acquired it from some old Spanish man who was leaving England for his home country. Brady sighed, closed his eyes and imagined his soft bunk in the belly of the ship.

His rest was quickly stopped by the door opening. In came a couple armed guards, Brady sat up. Swung his feet over the sides and stood up. Following the armed guards came more guards, except these ones weren’t idle. No, they were carrying something. Brady stepped to the bars of his door. Held onto them and strained to see what exactly it was that the guards were carrying. The thing made noises, a gurgle, then some words, in a language that was familiar to Brady but he couldn’t make it out exactly.

In a few seconds and some shifting of bodies, Brady could make out the item as a human. An obviously very troubled man. The man gurgled more words that Brady couldn’t make out. The guards looked at Brady, shook their heads and proceeded with putting the man in the cell next to Brady’s. The guards exited a short while later carrying chains and locks. This guy must’ve been trouble. He could hear more gurgling from the man. The guards laughed at each other and left. The door slammed shut. Brady tried to see the man in the cell next to his, but couldn’t see anything. He waited a second, took a deep breath and whispered loudly. “Hello?”
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Derrick Gunter’s head throbbed, he wasn’t sure why for certain, but he had some ideas. He narrowed it down to a few things, it could’ve been from the amount of rum he had drank, or the bar fight he had started when another man insulted the virtue of the barmaid Derrick had been working on for most of the night. That man wouldn’t be touching a woman for a while. Unfortunately that man had also been the captain of the guard in Santiago, his pals, didn’t like it when Derrick had laid it out. Derrick had tried to be polite considering they outnumbered him, but he might have mixed up ‘I’m sorry’ with a reference to uncertain parentage, his Spanish wasn’t that good anyways.

He had been holding his own against the four guards, until the other six showed up, then he hadn’t faired so well, and now he was here.

He heard someone call from the next cell and started to get up, but suddenly decided that these were the nicest stones he had ever felt, and laid out on the floor to take in their smoothness.

“Ja?” he replied after a moment, while wiping blood off his forehead.
The quickest way to end a war is to lose it.

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Brady waited a few seconds after he whispered. He strained his head, squishing his forehead between the bars. Brady had been in here for over a day now, and this was the 1st response he had gotten from anyone, yet a prisoner.

"Yes? Ja." Brady thought quickly, Ja...Ja...Accent...German!. He took a deep breath, realized he knew a tiny bit of German. Could understand it tons better than he could speak it, so he wasn't going to try. Instead, took a differnet approach.

"Do, you, speak, english? Yes? Ja? English." Brady sighed, this might be one long night.

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:43 pm

English, Derrick understood that language almost as well as he did his native tongue, his mother had been from England after all.

“Ja, I speak English, what’s it to ye?”

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:45 pm

Yes! Brady screamed in his head.

"Ah, so what're you in here for?" Brady shook his head after he had asked it, not a good conversation starter, but hey it was too late and he had been in here to long to care anymore.

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:48 pm

The stones were so nice and cold, all Derrick wanted to do was sleep but he knew he shouldn’t. “I had a few drops of rum, got into a scuff with a few Spaniards, might have killed me one.” Derrick knew that when he got into speaking English it threw people as he could almost pass as a native speaker.

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:53 pm

A fighter!? A fighter! Yes! Brady took his hands off the bar and pumped them to himself quitely. This could be his saftey ticket once he escaped. His mind starting working fast, he took a deep breath and calmed down, stretched a hand out through the bars and in the direction of the other guy.

"I'm Brady, Brady Kell. Nice to meet you, that is, if it was nice in these circumstances. Have you ever thought about how tough one of these guys would be to, uhm, fight?"

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 pm

"These swine they call guards? If they're anything like their Capt'n, they're not much at all, I licked me three already tonight," Derrick was not one to boast. "Why, vat is it to ya?" Derrick also had a habit of switching between languages, usually just a word or two though, and usually when he was drunk, which was usually all the time.

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:04 pm

"Do you happen to know anything about breaking out of jail? Because, I don't want to spend anymore time with these, Cerdos, than I have to. So, here's the plan. Tomorrow, the same fat guard, Emmanual or whatever, comes in all cocky like and throws us a couple pieces of bread and some old nasty bacon strips. Horrible things they are. Anyway, this same fat guy has the keys to everyone of these cells, why? I don't know, but he does. So, depending on who gets first, we somehow need to get the keys from this fella and break out of here. Ya with me?

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:12 pm

"Why should I help ye?" Derrick muttered something in german and he crawled towards the door to his cell, "What are ye gonna do for me?"

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 pm

"Why?" Brady was taken back, why? Why not?. "Well, the first reason is to get out of this hole they call a jail. You deffinitly don't want big Emmanual smiling at you, if you catch my drift." He laughed to himself, way to make it up as you go Brady.

"Oh, and I havn't told you about my ship. The grandest ship you've ever seen. It has tons of potential to be the best pirate ship in the world, because you see, I am a pirate. And, I'm in need of a strong man to be my first mate. If you help me break out, I gurantee 15% of all income we make on my ship. So, Mr ... what do ya say?"

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Derrick didn’t really care about gold, but it sounded like enough to keep him drunk and laid, plus he had been a sailor for quite a while. “Aye, they’re gonna hang me anyway, but to hell with yer plan,” Derrick retrieved the keys he hidden after he had snatched them off the captain of the guard, one never knew when keys would come in hand so Derrick stole all the keys he could find.

After a few attempts he pulled himself up on the bars of the cell door, his head hurt, but he didn’t really care, he figured the jailor would have some good ole medicine for that. He tried a few keys before he found the one that worked in the lock, opened the lock and quietly slid the cell door open, he crept to the next cell, peaked inside to see the Englishman in there, so he listened for a moment, besides the ringing in his ears he heard only the snoring of the drunks in the ajoining cells. He unlocked the eager englishman’s cell door, and said, “Aye, I’d rather die with a sword in my gut then from a rope around me neck.

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:52 pm

"Hah! My type of style!" Brady said, "I've noticed a weapons cache down the hall. They stole my dagger. Hah! And they complain about me stealing. I'm thinking Emmanual is just as drunk and asleep as you are. So it should be no trouble getting him to be quiet, or dead. Whichever you prefer, at any rate. Lets go mate." Brady led the small expedition down the small hallway, walking on soft feet, trying to avoid any extra noise.

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 pm

As they closed in on the door out of the cell block, the door swung open, and a large, fat Spaniard stepped through, his eyes never had a chance to adjust to the darkened cell block as Derrick slugged the man in the throat, and caught the fat man, letting him slide into a crumpled heap on the floor . Derrick pulled a musket pistol from the man’s belt and tossed it to Brady, he gestured into the candle lit room, gave Brady a smile full of crooked teeth and “Capt’ns first,”

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:24 pm

Brady caught the gun, grinned at the man. He still didn't know the mans name, but that didn't matter, he had his brute for the moment. Kyle gripped the gun in his hand and ducked into the large, long room. He looked around, let his adjust to the few candles around the room. There was a guard sitting at the front desk, his head on the desk, a small puddle of spit was forming on the wooden surface. On the desk was a dark empty wine bottle and a half eaten wheel of cheese.

Brady took a few extra steps, whispered to his new friend, "A couple muskets, pistols and rifles for the both of us."

Brady found a sack of half-rotten potatoes sitting on the ground, he slowly tipped the bag over, letting them roll out. He marched to the back of the room and the apparent 'Goodies cupboard'. Inside was wheels of cheese, loafs of bread and completely full, wrapped bottles of dark wine. Brady opened the bag and stuffed the cheese, breads and wine in the sack. He twirled it around and marched back to the man who was having a field day picking out which weapons to take for the both of them.

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:39 pm

While Brady was gathering supplies Derrick was gathering his own, he finished off the cheese and downed a half bottle of wine before removing the drunk jailor’s coin purse. The man never stirred, even when Derrick took his boots, which fit nicely. Brady shot him a dirty look, which Derrick shrugged off as he said quietly, “They can’t hang me twice.”

“Yer the Capt’n, what now?”

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Brady grinned, he loved this above all else. He stuffed 2 pistols in his belt, threw the sack over one shoulder, 2 rifles over the other. He noticed his dagger on the desk, it was unsheathed and looked like it had been used on the cheese. Brady shook his head, "Want to take care of this for me?" Brady pointed at the knife and at the man. "Captains first orders y'know."

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Derrick picked up the dagger, balanced it on the tip of his finger for a moment, then let it fall into his hand, all in one smooth motion. He then, without taking his eyes off the drunk man tossed the dagger hilt first at Brady. "Ain't no way for a man to die, you do your own dirty work."

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:56 pm

Brady caught the dagger, held it firmly in his hands. Looked at the man who was now snoring decently loud. Brady shook his head, dirty work, hah.. Brady pointed the end of the dagger at the mans throat, poked it in a half inch. The man immediately sat up, Brady ran the length of the mans chin in a half instant. The man slipped back down into his seat, blood running down his chest.

Brady gave another dirty look at the man, "I'll follow orders." Brady muttered. He stuck the bloodied dagger back in the sheath, then the sheath in his pants pocket. He opened the door to outside world, and ducked outside. Made sure the man was still behind him and hurried down the sidewalk.

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Derrick didn’t like Spaniards, but he had been drunk like that many a time, and it was no way for a man, or even a Spaniard to die. "Ficken Englisches schwein” He said aloud, he briefly considered shooting Brady in the back, but decided that he still needed a boat, or else he’d never be getting out of Santiago. He followed the man down the sidewalk through the empty city streets. Keeping his eyes out and not quite pointing his musket at the man in front of him.

Wise men watched their backs around the likes of Brady, and while Derrick might not be wise, he’d been in enough bar fights to recognize dangerous men. Derrick needed Brady for now, and for now Brady needed Derrick. Else they’d both be sharing a short drop with a sudden stop.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:42 pm

OOC: Sorry to interrupt. Is this open? Can I join?

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Brady hadn't been around Santiago long enough to memorize anything, but it was pretty simple which direction the water was; and where the water was, the port was close by. Brady wasn't sure whether or not he liked this man following him, after all, he had known this man for less than 10 minutes and was apparently not afraid to knock someone's block. But Brady had shown him that he wasn't a push over.

Brady followed the road leading from the jail down to an apparent major intersection, there was a sign written in Spanish and Brady recognized it as 'Port' with a direction. He looked in all 4 directions, behind him to make sure the man was following him, then slipped down that street.

It was a relatively easy 300 yard sneak down the street and Brady could now see the gates and docks of the port. He smiled inside, he remembered being told that his ship was locked up when he was -- the only man with the key to that lock would be the portsman. The grey old fellow.

Brady approached the small shack the portsman called home. He looked back at the man who still looked a bit uneasy. Brady whisphered, "This guy has keys, he's a single old man who can't see a thing without his spectacles. I'm going to get the keys, you can keep watch or come in and do whatever you do."

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:23 pm

“Don’t kill nobody this time.” Derrick said simply, as Brady went inside. Derrick slipped into the shadows outside the shack, his tan skin making him blend seamlessly into the darkness, he removed his trusty flask from his shirt, he had recovered the flask while Brady murdered the drunken guard. He removed the cap and knocked back a few fingers worth of the contents, rolling it around in his mouth. Good whiskey, much better then whatever watered down, gut rut they had served at the bar he been at before his little escapade. Unfortunately, he didn’t have much of this good stuff, so he was forced to ration it, only a few fingers at a time.

Derrick was fairly easy going, all he really wanted out of life was a nice wench to settle down with, who could cook good, and not nag him into an early grave. Aside from that, a large supply of some good whiskey would make him a happy man. He wanted to live comfortably, just enough gold to be comfortable enough so he didn’t have to work.

His single wish in life was not to half to do anything, no responsibility was his wish. His dream, to do nothing, absolutely nothing. He was sure it was everything he thought it could be. So his current goal was to get enough gold quick enough to settle down with some nice wench and enjoy his youth while it lasted. He had a meager share of gold stashed away up in Eleuthera; he had stashed his salary less the cost to live from the last several voyages in a certain niche there.

He was certain no one would ever find it. He still had much to go, he hoped being first mate on this new ship would earn him enough after a few voyages to settle down and live his dream.

While he waited for Brady, he drained one last finger of whiskey before securing the cap on the flask and putting it away. He leaned back against the shack and waited, sure no one, could see him, from where he was, even Brady would not be able to see him when he exited the shack.

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:12 pm

Brady had left the sack of goods next to the door, planning to pick them up on his way out. Brady slipped into the room, expecting anything. To his surprise, a lone candle was still burning, and lit up most of the main room. Brady looked around the room, saw a door that must’ve been the mans very small bedroom. Brady nodded and shifted through the papers on the desk. He found a series of keys on a large key ring. He wasn’t sure which one belonged to his particular dock tie up, so as quietly as possible he slipped them into his pocket, and looked through the rest of the room.

Objective one was accomplished. Brady looked around more carefully; there was a large filing cabinet on the wall beside the Portman’s bedroom door. Brady grabbed the candle and its lamp in his hand, lit up the filing cabinet just enough so he could see. There were only a few boxes that had anything in them and Brady quickly found the one he was looking for. The days port payments, a nice leather sack filled with a lovely sound, even it was soft -- gold coins.

Brady grinned to himself, stuffed the sack in his other pocket and set the candle back on the desk. Pleased with his work, he stepped towards the door again. Slipped out into the fresh air, stared at the water front, and whisphered loudly, “Did you want anything, or are you good?”

Brady looked to the where the man was still supposed to be sitting, but he wasn't there. Lost another one Brady. Smooth. Brady sighed, grabbed his sack and walked 10 feet down the path, angry with himself.

Kruller

Post by Kruller » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:33 pm

OOC: Nice thread.

Warleader
Lord of War

Post by Warleader » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:39 pm

Derrick melted out of the shadows and took his place in step just behind and to the right of Brady, he was pretty sneaky for a drunk guy after all even when he wasn’t really trying to be sneaky. “So, where’s this ship of yours?”

EchoesIE
Echo for Eternity

Post by EchoesIE » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 pm

Brady was angry with himself, but, he was a few gold coins richer and he's have his baby back soon. It helped to have someone else on the ship, and he had been having a helluva time since Jones drowned just a couple weeks before pulling into port. But, he had managed to sail the sloop by himself, quite a feat if you asked Brady.

Brady was deep in thought, already feeling around the keys in his pocket, picking out the bigger ones from the smaller ones, “So, where’s this ship of yours?” Came the voice, somewhat friendly, familiar, but always scary.

Brady jumped, spun 90 degrees and pointed the gun at the voice. He nearly lost his wits when he it was his comrade. "Oh good god." Brady muttered. He simply nodded at the man and continued on. To Brady's amazement again, the gates to the small port weren't locked. Dumb old Portsman. Brady grinned to himself, this was too simple. Normally, it was about now that things would start to go wrong. Brady was 38 years old, had been in the pirating business since he had run away from home at 17, and this was the part in the journey where things normally got interesting.

Brady walked down the port, eyeing the few ships that were there until he spotted his at the very end of the pier. He was warmed inside when he saw the wooden beauty, the small blue paint that was nearly all gone, it used to read "Iron Mouse", in a lovely blue writing. Now, it was more of a "I n M us" these days. Brady could see the iron holding chain that they had wrapped around his anchor chain. Brady sighed and pulled the keys from his pocket, started at one end and stuck the key in the lock, no good.