24 Hour Time Hop.

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Xanamiar

24 Hour Time Hop.

Post by Xanamiar » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:29 pm

The long dark haired woman entered the room, as the eyes of those in the room followed her up to the board, and overhead.

"We still have a few minute before we start, please relax." The woman spoke kindly to all those there. She turned and faced the small crowd of people, her eyes peering through her light rimmed reading glasses. She pulled out a chair and took a seat, reading something that was in front of her.

After a while she looked up from what she was reading.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, you have all been brought here for the same purpose, we need volunteers to help in a secret government project."

She paused as she looked into the eyes of all those sitting around.

"First of all, you need to know that this project is top secret, nothing seen or heard here may ever be spoken outside of this room. If you can't keep your mouth shut, I suggest you leave now." She sternly looked at all those in the room, figuring that none of them would leave.

"Now that I have your full attention this is what we need volunteers for."

With that she flipped off the lights, and a projector showed a short movie, one that displayed many of the events of the earth throughout the past 200 years.

"You are all here to participate in a project that will allow you, to actually step back into time."

Several snickers stopped her from continuing.

"If you don't believe me, then you aren't the kind of person we need to help us."

She looked over the crowd and they all got quiet.

"Now if you will, let me show you the theories, despite whether you understand them or not."

The woman turned on the projector showing all the mathmatics involved in the theory, then showed a picture of an ordinary door.

"This is our door to the past." She paused and then turned the projector off.

"Here's the deal, we need volunteers who are willing to take the chance of stepping into the past, and then 24 hours later stepping back into the present with all the readings from wherever you went. The problem is, we can't tell you where, or when you will be stepping into, that is why we need volunteers. We know that there is some kind of pattern in it, yet we haven't found it yet, and in order to do so we need your help to get to as many times and places as possible so we can start directing it."

The woman stopped looked across the room.

"Anyone who want's in the project please stay, all others need to leave now."

After everyone who wanted to leave did so, the woman spoke again.

"Please stand and tell me your name, rank, and age. I need to write you all down, and get all of your records out before we continue any further."

Dalak

Post by Dalak » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:09 am

The drone of the film made him tired and he was falling into a drowsy state. He looked around the room: the guy sitting next to him was sitting bolt upright in his chair, not missing a word of the video. Without breaking focus on the television, he was also feverishly writing notes onto a pad of paper. He then set his eyes on a girl a couple tables in front and a few rows over. She was a brown eyed brunette who was listening fairly well to the video, and her face showed that she wanted to be here. She looked back at him; and he smiled at her then turned his gaze again. There were several large men watching the group who looked like they were going to a funeral.
He slid back in his chair even more and looked back in his memories.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The clock on the wall was annoying him again. Visits to this office were never good things.

“Mr. Marks, I feel that the CIA has been working you too hard and you have had trouble keeping up with your assignments.” Calvin rolled his eyes, “Some of your associates have also told me that they think it is in your best interest to take some time away from work. Maybe go on a vacation of some sort, you know just, relax.”

“Mr. Anderson I realize that my time with the agency hasn’t been quite…”

“Enjoyable? Mr. Marks? However, contrary to what your associates think I, enjoy having you here and that is why I am giving you a special assignment that I think will suit you, and your co-workers quite well.”

“I enjoy my time here sir and I’ve put in good work.”

“You don’t even know what it is I’m about to assign you yet. Now here is the folder just as usual. I would like you to go home to read it and report back once the assignment is completed.”

“I’d like to read it right now thanks.” He read the briefing…

“You can send anyone for this job. Why me? I’m the best field agent you have!”

“Just go, please. This briefing is over.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------
He woke up and found that the woman had finished her speech and that there were people leaving the room.

“Hey buddy they said this is the time to back out. You fell asleep.” The slightly nerdish guy said.

“Thanks but I’m staying.”

He sat up a little in his chair and looked around at the people that remained; the nerd, the brunette, and a couple others.
The woman stepped up to him, and he gave her his information:

Calvin Marks, Operations Officer for the CIA, 21, and what a wonderful speech that was miss.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:38 am

Samantha had been watching everyone during her speech, including the one who decided to go first out of all the others.

"Mr. Marks I believe you may have not understood that it was time for people like you to leave."

She looked over the man, then opened his folder, as she turned away from him.

"CIA, never did agree with any of their operations, they seem to be to wreckless. Looks like you have a fairly good record here Mr. Marks, despite the wrecklessness. I'm afraid you have missed your only opportunity to leave, and you are going to be stuck with us."

Samantha turned and walked back to the front looking over the others who were left.

"By the way Mr. Marks, any other comments that aren't of military or proffessional concern will be written up into your record for going against orders, and yes Sir, I do out rank you."

Dalak

Post by Dalak » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:04 am

So she didn't like the CIA. He didn't like her very much either. He was in the feild, on a mission, all professional talk and CIA terms were prohibited during solo feild missions. He had no reason to follow her rules and furthermore, he didn't believe a word of it, time travel.

"If you don't mind me asking, in a professional way of course, what is your rank?"

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:21 am

"I don't mind at all. I have the same rank as a five star general, as long as you are here, sir. Everything I say goes, despite if you like it or not."

Samantha had been working for the military for a long time now, and her rank was an honory one, however it was given to her to deal with any of those who would question her.

"Any other questions sir? Because if not, perhaps we could move on."

Dalak

Post by Dalak » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:27 am

"Move on to what?"

Many of the others were looking at him crossly yet the brunette threw another smile at him, which he returned.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:37 pm

"Mr. Marks!" the womans voice was neither pleasant nor subtle. "You will either shut your trap, or leave this room immediately, and that is an order sir!"

After regaining her composure she starred down the rest of the room.

"If anyone in this room has a problem with authority I suggest you leave NOW! I will not tolerate misbehavior, that of a 10 year old in elementary, nor will I be played with in any means, this project is not for you to play with, nor for your ammusement."

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:25 pm

The woman finished locking stares with the CIA agent and made her way in front of Gavin, who had been sitting back cassually during both the breifing and the interaction thereafter.
"Who's up next?" She asked.
Gavin shifted a bit in his seat, then stood slowly. "Lt. Gavin Blithe, SWAT, 23 Ma'am." He replied curtly after he had snapped to a relaxed stance of attention. He held the pose, his past military training kicking back in as he kept his brown eyes looking forward.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:31 pm

Samantha started to shuffle through the folders in her hand, as she looked for Gavin Blithe.

"SWAT huh?" she paused for a moment as she read through the information in the folder.

"It appears you have a good standing record at your department, but you enjoy overstepping your authority..."

She paused as she looked at the young man.

"But you at least have the respect I would expect from someone here."

She read over the rest of the file.

"At ease Lt. Blithe." As he relaxed she looked at him. "What brings you here from Iowa?"

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:37 pm

Gavin relaxed a bit and met her gaze. "Looking for wider boundries and bigger authority..." he replied with a glint in his eye. "Theres nothing back there for me."

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:39 pm

"I like your spirit Lt. Blithe, it'll be a pleasure to work with you."

Samantha stood for a minute...

"Well, who's next?"

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:33 am

ooc: Is this thread closed or can I join in?

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:21 am

OOC: By all means, join in, but keep OOC comments in the OOC thread please.... which is here ... http://swrp.gamingstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1069

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:53 am

The General made her way on down the line, stopping in front of the next officer in line.

The officer snapped to attention. Maj. Daniel Jones, United States Air Force. 30. Callsign Falcon.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:32 am

OOC: Rogue please don't control any other characters but your own.. Just to keep things straight around here... <which includes having people walk down lines or anything else. Thanks>

IC:

Samantha started to flip through the files once again.

"Major Jones, what brings you to our little office? I sent the invitation to the U.S. Air Force myself, but why did they pick you?"

Samantha started to read the file as she waited for a reply.

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:44 pm

ooc: Xanamiar, forgive me. I am well aware of that rule (having been here for a couple of years) but noticed another player on this thread doing it and decided to follow suit (a dangerous thing to do at times). Again sorry.

IC: "I was simply told to that I was being sent to this base for reason which could not be disclosed," said Daniel. "I have some experience with time-space theories from my studies at the Academy and worked briefly as a test-pilot for a research project involving revolutionary methods of propulsion for spacecraft. The project was meant to produce a feasible idea for faster-than-light travel. Part of are work involved manipulating time-space to produce an effect that would propel a vessel past light-speed.

ooc: I don't know squat about about quatam physics and all that so forgive me if I said something wrong. It sounded like a good reason for being here to me.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:24 pm

OOC: No problem, I'm not a rocket scientist... and Vague has special permissions as far as some things go because we've roleplayed together for so long, but he'll only do it with those he knows he can get away with it.

IC:

Samantha finished looking over the mans file.

"Well, good to have you aboard sir. You may be at ease."

The rest of the volunteers were put through the same questioning, all answering. Once done Samantha put the stack of folders on the desk, then a seperate stack into the trash.

"Everyone who is here will need to be put through many tests, then we'll go on into being taught what you need to know."

Samantha looked over the room.

"We have many fine people here, and hopefully we'll weed out any who don't deserve this privledge!"

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:00 pm

Weed out? Gavin gulped slightly at the statement. He wondered what exactly it was that would determine whether or not someone deserved this privelage. Then he set to studying his fellow volunteers. Sizing them up, even though he didn't really know what attributes it would take to succeed in these tests, or even if it was a competetion or not... Though surely it must be... He smirked slightly to himself... He had a way of seeing everything as a competetion though, which made some aspects of his life more difficult than they should be.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:51 pm

Samantha looked at everyone, and then opened a door, that no one had even seen in the room. It looked just like the wall.

"If everyone would follow me..." she walked into the long hallway, and waited for everyone to catch up.

"For the next several weeks, your strength, and mind, will be tested. All who wish to leave now, know the way out, those who are up for the punishment, you will be staying in these rooms."

Samantha walked to the end of the long hallway and put her hand up to a pad. Many doors opened on both sides of the hallway.

"We don't care if you want to go into this singlely or rooming for now, if you do grab a roomy, know that you will be stuck with them for long periods of time. All the rooms look exactly alike, and have the same accomadations. You will find a refridgerator in them with whatever you need. Make yourselves at home. Testing will begin tomorrow."

Samantha stood and waited for them all to go into their perspective rooms.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:37 pm

Gavin brushed pass a few volunteers and stopped in the third doorway on the right. Pausing, he turned to lay his brown eyes on Samantha. He waited till he caught her gaze, and spoke up.

"I'm assuming that we won't be needing anything? And whatever we will need is being provided here?" He asked simply.

The basic undercurrent of the question was really, we aren't allowed to go anywhere or do anything and you'll make sure we won't need to right? He waited, leaning on the wall next to the door for an answer to his question.

Dalak

Post by Dalak » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:57 pm

Calvin stepped up to one of the rooms and looked inside. It was very clean and shiny. He went into the hallway again and spotted the pretty brown haired girl. He pointed to his room and smiled. She teasingly smiled herself and picked the door beside his and closed it. Calvin laughed and layed down on his bed.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:52 pm

Samantha put her palm against the pad once everyone had chosen their rooms. Sealing the doors so they could not be opened.

OOC: All the rooms have a door that can be opened to each other rooms. However for now they are also sealed. Have a good night.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:18 pm

OOC: Oh, and about the rooms... Picture a clean room, Everything is white, and kept that way, it smells much like a hospital does, and every room is equipped with a shower, which everyone is expected to keep clean... <isn't that a given?>

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:06 pm

Gavin didn't have to wait long for the answer as the door slid shut infront of him. A second later his suspicions were confirmed, there was no activation switch for the door. It would only be opened when Samantha decided it was time. Turning away from the door, Gavin looked around the room. It wasn't large, but he wasn't one to like spacious living quarters. It was organized though, and that nagged a bit at him. He never really felt comfortable in a room that was spotless and neat. Shrugging a bit he walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed, unlacing and removing his boots. He unbuttoned the top few buttons from his black shortsleeved shirt and sat back, relaxing for awhile. He checked his watch breifly. It was only about 9 oclock at night... Normally hed just be setting down for dinner around now. But tonight he really wasn't hungry.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:03 pm

Time was something that could fly by easily, and without a clock to remind you what time it is, time usually flew by even faster.

Suddenly the door to Gavin's room slid open, a thin man stood in the door, with a folder open.

"Lt. Gavin Blithe?" the mans voice came out very plesant. After getting a yes to the question he started. "I am Dr. Jonathon Cayne, this is my project and honestly my baby. I'm here to look over our canidates and figure out which ones I like. So, Mister Blithe, tell me a bit about yourself, and feel at ease, just talk to me as if I was one of your best of bud's."

The Doctor looked down at the mans wrist.

"By the way, I need to take your watch, it's part of your tests for the next few weeks, you won't know what time it is, and don't bother looking for windows, there aren't any."

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:22 pm

Gavin raised an eyebrow, and then removed his watch from his wrist and handed it to the doctor.

"Well now you really are like one of my best buds, always taking my stuff. You could be better than them though, and return that. It was a gift from someone." he replied and smiled. Sitting back slightly, he glanced around the room breifly before looking back at the doctor.

"So, Johnny, you don't mind if I call you Johnny I hope, you want to know about me? I'm the kind of guy that puts work before play. I strive to be better than anyone else, at anything I can. I like to stay in shape, and I like to have a schedule. I don't particularly like it when something conflicts with that schedule. I like a certain level of disorganization, it makes me feel more at home. I tend to see the glass half empty as opposed to half full, yet I have a suprising sense of humor for being such a pessimest. My tongue is nearly as fast as my draw and I have very strong moral beliefs and values. Honesty is a very large part of who I am." he explained, then paused. "I'm also not much of a storyteller, so it might be more productive for you to ask me some questions about what you want to know."

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:28 pm

"Well, I would prefer Jon." Jon smiled at the man to let him know, no harm was done.

"If I wanted specifics, I'd just reread your folder, but considering my photo graphic memory, that's pointless."

Jon put his folder down, and put the watch in an envelope, walking towards the door, he pushed has hand against part of the wall, a drawer opened and he slid the envelope into it, and then he shut it.

"As far as your watch is concerned, it'll be safe there, I'm the only one it will open for. By the way, in case you wanted to know. I am considered Overly Optimistic, the glass isn't halfway full or halfway empty, it's halfway to another glass."

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:35 pm

Gavin grinned and almost chuckled at the final comment. "Well then perhaps that will help keep the strain out of our working relationship." he quipped. "How long have you been working on this project? If i may ask?" Gavin questioned, curiousity getting the better of him.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:40 pm

"Well this project is something I've been working on since I was 10."

Jon smiled at the man.

"Actually at the age of 8, but I didn't understand exactly what the mathmatics I was writing really meant. Childhood prodigies are always the most interesting before they are old enough to really realize their true potential."

Jon paused for a moment, then started back up again.

"But as far as the project itself, I've been actually able to build it within the last 6 years, that's when I met Samantha, she helped me get the federal funding for the project, and helped me with some of the more complicated stuff I was drawing up. I believe she is probably smarter than I am."

Jon smiled again at the man... "But she's deffinately more pessmistic."

"So what do you like to do when your not working? Or should I say, what do you consider fun?"

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:10 pm

"I actually play hockey in a league in my home town. And I'm real big into cars. I have a 67 Fastback mustang that I've been restoring and I take it to all the auto shows around the area." He replied, an eyebrow slowly raising. "I'm curious, how'd you and Samantha meet up anyway?" he askd, cocking his head to the side slightly?

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:20 pm

"Samantha and I actually met while at a scientific convention, not much to tell about the story really. She is a very wonderfull person, and we have become close friends."

"Well Gavin, it was a pleasure to meet you, you seem to be pretty even headed."

Jonathon shook Gavins hand and turned around and left.

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:39 am

ooc: Do the rooms have any computer equipment.
Daniel sat down on the bed in his room and took a look around at his new home. Everything he would need was here. He changed out of his formal uniform and into a t-shirt and shorts and sat back down on the bed. What a time to forget my watch he tought as he noticed that there was no clock in the room. "I wonder when the testing will begin," he said to himself. He decided to take a nap while he waited and laid down.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:43 am

OOC: The room contains only the bed, a chair, the fridge, a sink, microwave, bathroom, and a closet which you can't open yet... which has only white clothing in it.

IC:

Jonathon walked down the hall and turned into the next door, picking up the folder of the occupant of the room.

The door slid open.

"Major Daniel Jones." His voice came into the room as he entered and looked at the man who was napping.

"Excuse me, but we need to do an interview now."

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:16 pm

Daniel sat up quickly and looked towards his visitor. "Of course, sir. What do we need to talk about," he said quickly. I wonder what this is about he thought as he stood up.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:58 pm

"Well first, my name is Jonathon Cayne, I am the head of this project, and you can sit back and relax. Whatever you say here isn't part of the test, it's just me getting to know all those who may be working for me. So tell me a little bit about yourself."

Jonathon pulled up the chair and sat down.

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:31 am

"Well, I have always been facinated with science fiction stuff like Star Wars," said Daniel. "I graduated top of my class from high school and was accepted into the Air Force Academy. There I majored in Aerospace Engineering. I also served as cadet wing commander." When I graduated from the Academy I was assigned to Edwards Air Force Base as a fighter pilot. I served as test pilot for a couple of very Starwars-ish projects, as I mentioned to your associate, and that is apparently why I am here now," he continued.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:34 pm

"Well you seem to enjoy your job, now let me ask a more personal question... Tell me about YOU, not what you do, or what you've done... I want to know who you are. What makes you, you?"

Jonathon looked at the man curious of him, it seemed his entire mind was centered on what he did, instead of who he was.

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:43 am

ooc: Sorry I haven't posted in a while but a combination of my schedule getting busier and total writer's block has kept me from it. I'm going to try to answer your question now.

IC: "Well," said Daniel. "I've never really thought about it. When you spend most of your time on a military base your work is pretty much your life. Not to mention that most of my time awake is spent in a fighter cockpit or simulator. I love what I do and spend most of my time doing it. I guess what makes me, well me is my devotion to my job." Daniel finished talking and waited to see what the man's response would be.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:45 am

Jon looked at the man, almost feeling pity for him.

"If you love your job, then what made you volunteer for this?"

RogueLeader14

Post by RogueLeader14 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:28 am

"Well, I guess I've always enjoyed a challenge and this project looks like it will be about as challenging as they come," said Daniel. He was starting to get nervous about this conversation. It seemed that the man across from him was want a specific answer that Daniel wasn't giving him. He tried to think of what the man would possibly want to know. Of course he had been accused of being too wrapped up in his work before, but he was like that because it wasn't work to him, it was his hobby, his form of recreation, a challenge that grew every day as new and better technology was produced to push him to the limits. He would do his what he did for free(although he still was payed rather well) if that was what it took as long as he faced down that challenge.