Shadows of Destruction

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryngles

Shadows of Destruction

Post by Pryde »

OOC: If you'd like to join this thread then please post a request here, thank you. :)

IC: Earth, a shining jewel amidst the deep void of space, the birthworld for all of humankind. There was a time when we once believed that we would rule this planet forever. That time is now over. Her great cities lie in ruins, her oceans are as black as night, and her land lay scorched and battered beyond remembrance. The sun does not shine brilliantly on her surface as it once did and her blue skies are now all but a memory. The Earth is now nothing more then a hollow shadow of what it used to be. And her people no longer dwell on her surface, at least not now for that is their territory. They are the cause of Earth's destruction, they are the reason why we are forced to live in great domed cities on the surface of the moon. They have stolen our home from us and we want nothing more then to take it back.

My name is Julian Grey, a soldier stationed at Lunar Base on the moon's surface. A collaborative work by the Americans and the Russians, and now the last bastion of human might. I wish I could say that my story was a happy one, but I'm afraid that's not the case. I only wish to record the events that had led up to our current fate... Our exile from our rightful home. We don't know where they came from or even why, but their sudden appearance marked the doom of us all. Our once great governments fell to ruin one by one in short order and soon nearly all of Earth's surface was under their control.

We fought back, of course, but our weapons were useless against them. The creature's bodies were almost ethereal and our weapons were too primitive to be effective on them. To make matters worse every battle only served to swell their ranks. One touch from these creatures and you instantly became one of them. In the end our leaders became desperate and in one final attempt at resistance we scorched the land. The few remaining survivors were forced to leave the planet in what we now call the great 'Exodus', leaving our home planet in control of the Wraiths. To survive we built grand cities on the surface of the moon, the construction of which spanned many years and many lives were lost in the process. An entire population of people were killed when the dome of their city cracked and they were ejected out into space. Now we live our lives precariously for fear of the same fate happening to us... Or worse, fear of the Wraiths finding their way to the moon.

But we still have hope, in the recent years since the Exodus we have had many developments in the war with the Wraiths. We have managed to develop an energy based weapon that has been proven effective in combating the creatures. This weapon gives all of us hope for the future, and our recent victories on the surface has greatly increased our morale. We even succeeded in setting up a foothold on the planet, a small stretch of land located in the eastern United States that we call Sera Base. Supplies, weapons and soldiers are delivered from the moon to Sera Base via a shuttle transport and there the war to retake the Earth is being waged. The battles are fierce, and the Wraiths constantly throw themselves at Sera's walls in endless waves. Yet the more of them we kill the more there is to take their place. And now, during a lull in the fighting, we are all given a chance to reflect on our lives and our bloody past...

A soft tone at the door to his quarters startled Julian to full awareness. "Come in," he said as he turned off his computer and the holographic screen blinked away. The door slid silently open, revealing a slender young woman wearing the typical grey dress uniform of the Lunar Defense Force. Her jacket clung to her body and accentuated the curveture of her hips, she wore a short grey skirt and her long red hair was pushed up into her beret. She balanced precariously on high-heeled shoes and Julian had always marvelled at how she was able to walk so gracefully in the moon's low gravity.

"I thought you might like some tea, Captain," Fiona Jenssen said as she settled the tray she was carrying onto a small coffee table. "Yes, I would love some tea, thank you, Fiona," Julian replied as he stood from his desk and crossed the room to her. "Have a seat," he said, motioning to a nearby sofa. Fiona followed his lead and took a seat on the sofa, she took a moment to straighten her skirt before crossing her legs and turning to Julian, who sat down next to her being sure to leave a respectable distance between them. "Whats on your mind, Doctor," Julian asked her after taking a small sip of his tea. His question had obviously caught her off guard.

"W-why nothing, Captain. I just thought..."

Julian politely held up a hand to cut her off. "Its not that," he said with a smile, "I want to know what you think of all of this."

"All of what, sir?"

"This," he said with a wave of his hand he taking in the entire room, "the war, our exile... Everything."

"Is something wrong, Captain," Fiona replied, her voice sounding a bit concerned, "You haven't been yourself lately."

"Its... nothing," he assured her, "I've just been thinking, that's all. Tell me, how's your family doing?"

"They're doing fine, my brother works for a big corporation in Dome 3, he recently got a promotion and is making some decent money. My parents still live in their small condo next to the base, my mother worries about me too much so she refuses to move to a bigger place somewhere else. Why do you ask?"

"No particular reason," Julian replied absent-mindedly as he took another sip of his tea.

"What about your family, Captain," Fiona asked in an attempt to find out whatever it was that was bothering him. "How are they doing?"

"My family is dead," Julian replied grimly, "My father was killed defending Sera Base and my mother and baby brother were ejected out into space when Dome 4 collapsed."

"Thats horrible," Fiona replied in a shocked tone, "I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"Its alright, Fiona, I've already come to terms with their deaths a long time ago."

Just then Fiona's beaper went off interrupting their conversation. She reached for the small device clipped to her belt and read its screen. "I'm sorry, Captain, but they need me back in Medical."

Julian gave her a gentle smile and said, "Its alright, Doctor, thank you very much for the tea. That was very thoughtful of you."

"You're very welcome, Captain," she replied as she stood up and approached the door, "and please, if there's anything bothering you feel free to come talk to me about it."

"Thank you, Doctor, but I'm fine, I assure you."

She gave him one final look of suspicion before saying goodnight and closing the door behind her. Julian looked after her as she left then went back to staring blankly at the tea cup in front of him. After awhile the silence following Fiona's departure began to feel omminent and the darkness of his room suddenly seemed to envelope him. Then something moved in the shadows, he barely caught a glimpse of it and his instincts quickly kicked in. He burst from the sofa, pulling his energy blaster free of it's holster. He held the gun out in front of him searching for any signs of an intruder, but it was soon too dark for him to see clearly. Suddenly without warning his gun was knocked clear of his grasp and a shadow moved to entangle him... It was a Wraith! Julian tried to step back, but his legs would not respond. The Wraith was already reaching for him, its outstretched arms reaching into his body. The pain was unbearable, and Julian let out a horrible scream. He could see his body beginning to change and something else... Something he had not seen before. The Wraith, it seemed to be... laughing at him. Its terrible mirth filled his ears, and then vanished as the world suddenly exploded back into view. He found himself still sitting on the sofa, drenched in sweat and breathing heavily. It was only a dream, he reassured himself quietly, only a dream...
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Post by Tyria »

Screams… Agonized cries echoed in the recesses of her mind and they would not fade away, but rather chose to torment. Feral shrieks haunted Kiana Drake’s sleep. In the darkness she stumbled blind, naively reaching her hands out to feel nothing. It seemed like she was spiraling further down, but never quite reaching the bottom. That was what she waited for patiently: the end to all this terrible and unexplainable suffering. A searing touch had left her body shaken and an unmistakable desire to just give up filled her entire being. The panic of helplessness rippled through her body, circulating as if it were her own blood.

As the anguish tore through her body, it slowly began to falter. A force so pure collided with the darkness. But the pain rose in cadence as if a thousand battles were being fought within Kiana’s body. She could feel each muscle tense, but the storm was soon over. The suffering left her body, and that cry no longer deafened her. A brilliant light pierced her eyelids, causing her eyes to sting greatly. The first thought that ran through Kiana’s dazed mind was that she was dead, but a voice murmured at the edge of her senses.

“Doctor, she’s coming around…” the voice seemed so far away, but Kiana wished to reach out to touch the person that spoke. It would only prove that she was, in fact, not dead yet. Then the throbbing aches began to set in, causing Kiana to groan.

“Everything’s okay, Miss Drake. You’ll be just fine,” another voice reverberated softly in the woman’s mind.

Hesitantly, Kiana blinked her eyes open. Harsh lighting flooded Kiana’s unfocused vision, glinting on the specs of cerulean that tainted her gray eyes. Suddenly, a woman’s face hovered in her view, a pleasant smile upon her face. The first thought that came to Kiana’s mind was whether or not her boyfriend was safe.

“Jeremy…. Where’s Jeremy?” Kiana inquired, her soft words scraped against her parched throat.

“Don’t speak now, save your energy for your recovery,” the woman replied, avoiding the question.

Growing extremely aware of her surroundings, the 22-year-old soldier realized she was in a hospital. Feebly, Kiana struggled to sit up as she repeated her question, “Tell me where Jeremy is… Is he here?”

The doctor's face vividly darkened and Kiana watched her apprehensively as she consulted with a nearby nurse. The nurse held a clipboard containing a list of names; the woman skimmed through the list once before turning back to Kiana, a look of sympathy on her face as she slowly shook her head.

“No….” was the only word that Kiana could muster as the shock rendered her speechless.

He didn’t die… How could he die… This isn’t happening to me… Why me, oh god why me… Kiana thought frantically as she stared unbelieving at the doctor.

“I’m sorry…” the doctor’s voice was soothing, but not enough.

Kiana’s vision began to blur, her eyes stung greatly as the tears cascaded down her cheeks. It was as if someone had slowly ripped through Kiana’s body and soul, stripping her of every memory that caused her contentment. A void began to mass in her heart. Fate’s cruel laughter heralded the loss of Jeremy, her fiancé. Sitting there dumbfounded and weeping silently, Kiana was lost in the waves that threatened to tug her away. She stood, vulnerable, within her own mind. Images began to fade away as Kiana's hands desperately grabbed for those memories. But still they eluded her until not one was left...
Lord of the Knights who say Nee

Post by PrinceKirin »

John sat up in the medical lounge. The door opened and a battered looking soldier limped out on crutches. He looked down at John and said, "Lieutenant! Good to see you up and about. I see you made it back with no injuries." He smiled at seeing his co.

John's long face was a hard sight to behold. The week before he led a squad to a hill fighting the Wraiths. While he was gone the Wraiths pushed into his platoon that he left well entrenched. He was ordered by radio to return strait to base. His squad made it back with no problems. But the rest of his platoon had been all but swept away. The battered soldier was one he left behind with the rest of the platoon. Even though it wasn't his fault, he felt responsible. "Yeah. What is left of us will be put under a new command. All ... 16 of us. I will be in a different one then you guys though. Well listen to me. Go on Seargent. You have earned a good rest." He looked down.

"Yes sir. Good day sir." Said the soldier as he continued down towards his quarters. A nurse soon followed through the door and looked at John. She shook her head from side to side and went back into medical. John got up straitening his uniform and saying silently to himself, "Correction, all 15 of us. 15 out of 48." He continued down the corridor towards his new commander's quarters. He didn't know Captain Julian but he soon would. He arrived at the door and knocked. He could already hear himself begining, "Sir, Lieutenant Taber reporting for duty."
"Yeah, and I stole an ISD. Doesn't mean you should. I am the lunitic around here." LT. CMDR. KIRIN A. TSUKINO
----------------------------------------
"What? Where in God's vast galaxy are you going to find a man crazy enough to even attempt to jump a moon into hyperspa.....where do I sign?"

FORGE ATOSURYUA, Promethian Engineering Guild, department of hyperspacial physics and temporal studies
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Julian's breath slowed slightly and his heart rate began to decrease, but his right hand was still shaking violently. He reached over with his left hand to steady it and to his surprise he noticed that he was holding his gun. He hadn't even realized it till now.

A slight knock at his door startled him and he whirled around, his gun still in his hand. "Sir, Lieutenant Taber reporting for duty," came a voice from outside. It slowly began to dawn on him that there was no immediate threat, so he holsted his blaster and replied shakily, "Come in."

The door slid silently open, permitting entrance to a hollowed shell of a man. A man who seemed to carry the weight of the whole world on his shoulders. Julian had read his dossier and he knew everything he needed to know about this man. What he didn't know was how he would perform in a combat situation. Losing almost your entire platoon is something a man doesn't get over easy. He would have to keep an eye on him.

Suddenly it hit him that the room was still dark, and that he probably looked a mess right now. "Computer, lights," he said quietly before turning to Taber. "What can I help you with, Lieutenant?"

Post by PrinceKirin »

"Sir, I have signed out with my former CO and I am reporting for duty." John said with little difficult. He had said that enough in his career. He continued, "I am ready for what ever challenges will face us. Ready for victory over this enemy." He was cut short by a new arrival at the door. A younge warrent officer handed John a small envelope.

Kirin said, "Excuse me sir," he said to the captain as he turned to the Warrant officer, "And this is?" "Bad news I am afriad, sir. And Master Seargent Thompson told me to give you this as well, a note." John looked, "Okay dismissed." The man continued on his mail delivery.

John spoke as he began to read the note, "I sometimes wonder Captain how that man always seems to know my location." He read aloud to himself, "Lieutenant, Palmer died shortly after you left." He stopped reading. A short pause and he opened the letter. "Its from the State Department ... we regret to inform you on the death of you sister Missy May Taber in the line of duty. An engine problem on the new space defense ship. The one being built to prevent Wraith vessals, if any appear, from reaching the moon.," John began to have difficulty, "She sacrificed her life to save the ship..." He stopped reading and just spoke, "Sounds like my sister. I have had more death this week than I wish to stomach. It can't be helped though. If a wraith were to appear in front of me I would shoot it," a small smile crossed his face," Heck, If a Wratih appeared I would shoot him anyway." He looked to the captain who appeared to be about to say something ....
"Yeah, and I stole an ISD. Doesn't mean you should. I am the lunitic around here." LT. CMDR. KIRIN A. TSUKINO
"What? Where in God's vast galaxy are you going to find a man crazy enough to even attempt to jump a moon into hyperspa.....where do I sign?"

FORGE ATOSURYUA, Promethian Engineering Guild, department of hyperspacial physics and temporal studies
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"I'm sorry for your loss, Lieutenant," Julian began, but he did not know exactly what to say. It was difficult, dealing with the death of a loved one, let alone two deaths at around the same time. Yet this man seemed to be taking it very well, though Julian suspected that it was just a facade. Even he hadn't gotten over the deaths of his family, despite what he had told Fiona earlier. The pain still hung heavily in his heart.

Julian crossed over to his desk and picked up a folder that he then handed to Lieutenant Taber. "Inside is all the information you need," he told him, "Your quarters, TO&E and a list of names of every man and woman under your command. Go and get to know them, you'll be working with eachother for what could quite possibly be the rest of your lives."

Not quite what the Lieutenant wanted to here right now, but Julian didn't feel up to playing the part of base counselor. That was a job for a more qualified individual. Taber accepted the folder and seemed about to reply when another messenger entered the room. "Captain Grey," the man started, "the Doctor requests your presence in the Medbayl, she has good news for you."

"And what news does the good Doctor have, Private?"

"Sleeping beauty is awake, sir."

"Tell Fiona that I am on my way," Julian replied quickly before turning back to Taber. "I'm sorry, Lieutenant, but you'll have to excuse me."

With that he followed the Private out the door and down the hall to the medical bay. Inside he found Fiona standing next to the bed of one of the few survivors from the recent dome collapse several months ago. The woman was in a coma ever since they brought her out. She was one of the lucky few, the few who made it to the emergency serviceways just before the dome exploded outward. Though apparently she was injured and knocked unconsious before she got there. Someone had dragged her to the shelter and tossed her in, but was unable to make it himself before the collapse.

"Hello, miss Drake," Julian said aloud as he approached the bed, "My name is Captain Julian Grey... I have some questions for you, and with the Doctor's permission I'd like you to answer them. But before we get into that I'd like you tell me your full name and rank."
Last edited by Pryde on Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Tyria »

The woman sat in silence, occasionally raising slender fingers to dry her tear streaked face. The doctor did not attempt approaching her patient. She was in a state of utter loss and confusion, and drifted in between reality and dream. The loss of Jeremy was terrible, and it immediately nibbled at her soul hungrily.

Casting her gaze down at her lap, it was not long before the weeping had subsided. I'm a soldier... Kiana reminded herself. I should be hardened... and used to loss.

But she wasn't, not yet... Though Kiana tried her best to hide it, she was still vulnerable to her emotions. Having gone through a rather lonely childhood, the soldier had developed an introverted personality. It was not quite healthy for her, but Kiana's concentration was broken.

"Hello, Miss Drake," a voice snared her attention, causing Kiana to look up at a man. "My name is Captain Julian Grey... I have some questions for you, and with the Doctor's permission I'd like you to answer them. But before we get into that I'd like you tell me your full name and rank."

"Sergeant Kiana Drake..." the woman replied quietly.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Thats good, Sergeant, very good," Julian replied with a gentle smile. At least she still has her memory, he thought to himself before continuing. "Ok, all I want you to do for me now is describe for me everything you can remember about the dome collapse. About what you were doing before the collapse, how you were able to escape and how you were injured. I need every detail that you can give me so try to remember everything."

He quickly gave Fiona a side-long glance and noted the look of disapproval on her face. She obviously thought that he was asking too much from her too early, but Kiana was a soldier and he needed her at 110% as soon as possible. This war needed every man and woman they could find to fight it.

Post by Tyria »

"Thats good, Sergeant, very good," Julian paused, casting a smile at her. "Ok, all I want you to do for me now is describe for me everything you can remember about the dome collapse. About what you were doing before the collapse, how you escaped and how you were injured. I need every detail you can give me so try to remember everything."

As the man finished his sentence, Kiana's visage darkened remarkably. She cast her eyes down and bowed her head slightly. A weak frown adored her lips as she glanced back up at Julian. I am a soldier she thought, hesitantly placing aside her emotions.

"We were settling back in... Jeremy and I had just returned from Sera Base," Kiana adverted her gaze back to her lap as she mentioned his name. "He was in the kitchen, actually... trying to fix our sink. I was looking through some magazines in the living room... We were..."

The words stuck to her throat, asphyxiating Kiana as she bit her lip to calm herself, "We were going to get married..."

Out of the corner of her eye, Kiana noticed that the doctor shook her head slightly as if telling her to stop.

"It happened all too quickly," Kiana murmured, gaining the courage to look Julian in the eye. "The sirens went off... We got out as quickly as we could, but by the time we stepped out of our complex... People were screaming already, panicking and running around madly. There were children... Tiny children scrambling beneath people's feet... Most were trampled, and they went unnoticed. People didn't care, they just wanted to survive... Instinct kicks in, I guess. Pieces of the dome already started crumbling away, crushing people...

A little girl caught my attention... she reminded me of something, not quite sure what... Just lost in the rubble, dazed, and frightened... Despite Jeremy trying to pull me along with him, I went back... I don't know why, but I did. Stupid of me though. When I reached her, she was trapped under rubble... I tried helping her, calming her down. It was awful... The people around me, too blind to notice... Next thing I knew, I was lying face down. People trampled across my body without a care in the world...

I guess Jeremy realized he had lost me, and went back..." by this time, tears had begun to fall again, and Kiana had resumed casting her gaze downwards...

"I could feel him lifting me up, and he told me how we'd make it out okay. Was half-conscious when he was carrying me though... I don't remember much, just the screams... tortured, agonized.. God, they still haunt me... I don't think anyone knows how ... horrifying it is... Just watching the world go into a tailspin and fade on you, not knowing whether you're dead or not, just that you can't feel anything, and that you're blind... You can't hear anything, you can't think... You're just in this darkness, a suffocating shadow...

It's like you're falling and you know the bottom is there, but you haven't reached it yet. You haven't felt impact and died, but you wish that it would happen... That it would all end... I still wish that, but life goes on... Wounds will heal, but scars are inevitable..."

"That is quite enough for today," the doctor bluntly interrupted, a stern look penetrating Julian's eyes. "She needs her rest, Captain... You may bother her tomorrow."

"As you wish doctor," Julian replied. "I have all the information that I need for right now. We will talk more about this tomorrow, Sergeant."

Nodding, Kiana inquired, "Could someone keep me company though? I don't think I'll sleep at all, seeing that I have had more than enough since I've been out..."

"I can post a guard if you wish, but I'm sure Doctor Jenssen will be around long enough to keep you company," Julian replied sympathetically, and with a wry smile he added, "Consider that an order, Doctor."

"But, Captain," Fiona started before Julian silenced her with a stern look. "Yes, sir," she said quietly in a defeated tone.

"Thank you..." Kiana murmured, glancing from the Doctor to Julian.

Post by PrinceKirin »

Kirin walked silently through the hall, keeping one eye infront of him and the other on his roster. He spoke silently to himself, "Hmm, a whole platoon. Four squads of 12 making 48. I know 19 of them. Hey its Jim, Makintyre, Stevens, Hasek, Timbo ... they were in my squad. Seargent Halo was in one of the other squads. Oh no, poor command, is Woodring. My best friend and partner in a thousand practical jokes." He chuckled to himself as he made his way towards his quarters. "Where do I find my people ... hmmm. Lets see, the ones I know, at least half of them should be, that is if the time is correct." checks his watch, "1300, aha, to the galley!." He made his way down to the galley.

Sure enough, when he got there four of them were all at a table together. He walked up and stood directly behind Woodring. She was telling the others, Makintyre, Stevens, and Halo a story, "There was this one time; Taber and I had a CO who was terrified of spiders. So we went to the University and got the biggest spider we could find. Harmless of course. The proffessor of Entamology thought we were doing a study for the military. Well, we waited untill late at night, snuck into his quarters and turned it loose. With in an hour it was busy on a web. We strung a thread of it about a foot infront of it to catch his face as he walked in. Then that morning we watched from down the hall. The Major walked in and not looking up from his clipboard walked right into the first thread. He stopped and looked up. The spider seemed to hover there, just inches infront of him. The Major screamed! I never thought to hear a grown man scream, let alone a major. We ran and laughed for hours. Oh we had some good times, I cam up with that idea too." John hadn't been noticed yet and he leaned in next to Woodrings ear and said suddenly, "It was my idea!" She liked to have jumped out of her skin. John laughed as he sat down. The four of his suboardenates rose to there feet saluting. John said, "Really, I thought I told you not to salute me. I need all four of you to join me on the observation deck up on C-TOWER." Thee four nodded and they made their way they. All telling each other stories of the war.

When they got there John had a telescope set up waiting. "Give me a minute, I want to show you something." He sadi as he began to point the telescope in a different direction. "There, Rei Hills, a small town in Sumner County Tennessee. That is where my family is from." The four took turns looking. He continued, "It is one of the next places we hope to take back in the next few months. Only two miles off." Faye Woodring spoke up informally, "Its a beautiful town, but what is your point, John." "My point is," he started as he started looking through the telescope again, " that you four are my most experienced personelle." He paused as something caught his eye, "What the," he paused again. He could see something on a pole in the center of town. The object flapped in the wind. John starred in disbelieve. He began to look for detail, very faded colors on it was what were first noticed. Seven pink stripes ans a baby blue squar with many white spots in the upper corner by the pole. The distinct marking of an old faded flag. He started again, "I can't believe my eyes, 'Oh say does that star spangled banned yet wave.' " He had a thought. Then he turned sharply to his company, "If I am not mistaken, the moral has been low around here, correct?"

"Yeah, and?" Makintyre said. John continued, "I have an idea, I need two more men from our platoon who have had training in covert operations." "What for sir?" Halo asked. "We are going to boost moral. How? By getting that." He pointed out towards Rei Hills. Faye looked through the telescope to see. "How are we going to get that?" "Just like our parents would have Faye. Camoflage and covert skill! If we succeed that will be the moral booster we need around here. All of you meet down by the north gate at 2200 hours. Don't come if you don't want to." "I'm in." Faye said. That was followed by 'I am too' almost simultaneously from the others. John said one final thing as they walked off to get prepped, "Imagine the cheering and happiness when we come walking through the front gate carrying that old flag. That flag that has been flying in freedom since this event happened. A sure sign of future victory. Let get this done."

Post by PrinceKirin »

ooc: At the beginning of my previous post I mixed up my character Kirin with myself on this thread..

IC:
0100 hours. 50 yards outside of Rei Hills. John's squad had gone the distance with no contact with the enemy. Minutes later they were creeping thorugh the town and finally to the flag pole. John waved for most of his men to join him in covering the position. Woodring and Hasek began to try to pull down the flag.

The wheels creeked and they stopped. A tense moment passed. None knew if the wraiths had heard. John crept over to them and cut the rope with his knife. They slowly allowed the flage to come down. They caught it and floded it. Soon it was in a bag and they were ready to return. The mission was at its mid point.

Post by PrinceKirin »

It took more time to return to the base. Danger was increased dramatically as light appeared over the horizon. It quickly increased. The base was not a hundred yards ahead. Kirin looked at the others whispering. "The wraiths will know we are here in a matter of minutes." He looked towards the base. "Lets make a run for it. Get out the flag, the telescoping flag pole, and the emergency signal flare."

They worked fast. Fast as stealth would allow. "Ready," Kirin said, "GO!" All twelve began to run as fast as they could. Woodring fired the emergency flare upwards. It caught the attention of the front line and gate guards. Unfortunately, the wraiths saw it too. The wraiths made chase. As the soldiers on the front line opened fire to cover the returning men. Kirin had the flag pole in his hands. He held it as hig as possible. Old glory flapped in a glory that had been long since seen. Her colors seemed not so dim.

The running squad fired over their shoulders. The cover was good enough to dispatch any followers. Kirin and his comrads jumped over the small wall that was infront of the front line. They continued running until they entered the main gate. They slowed down to a walk as cheers began to fill the entire base. All could see the flag. Kirin waved it back and forth. Moral increased by the second. A real picture of victory fluttered before them.

Post by Tyria »

Throughout most of the night, Kiana lay on her side silently. She felt no need to converse with the doctor, no matter how unbearable the pain was. Everything still seemed surreal and Kiana childishly would not accept the fact that Jeremy had died. There was no plausible way that he was alive, and Kiana's thoughts churned throughout the night.

Every once in awhile, Fiona's light footsteps would cause Kiana's body to go rigid. But they would fade away as the doctor attended to other patients in the ward, which Kiana was thankful of. Until everything would revert back to the inhuman screams that haunted the soldier's memory. Her body would shudder uncontrollably until the woman turned onto her back. Staring ahead into darkness, Kiana felt the need to speak to someone now.

A luminous chronometer read 0500 when Kiana silently swung her legs over the bed. Gingerly, she pulled the tubes that had been attached to her arms. Glancing distastfully at the hospital gown she wore, Kiana searched the room for a coat of some sort. Upon many hooks that lined one room, the woman found an array of ivory labcoats. This will have to suffice until I find something else... Kiana noted to herself, shrugging the coat on, buttoning it half-way.

Intently, Kiana listened for the doctor's footsteps, but the corridors were dormant. Creeping into a corridor, the woman began to discern where the living quarters would be located. It took her nearly fifteen minutes, in which Kiana drifted through the deserted hallways, before arriving at what appeared to be the main desk. A man glanced up from the desk, a curious expression upon his face.

"May I help you, miss?" the quarter master inquired, returning his gaze to an array of paperwork.

"I would like to visit Captain Julian Grey... May I ask for his room number?"

"Please sign in here..." the man indicated to a sheet of paper, which Kiana signed. "His room is fifth door on the left."

"Thank you," Kiana murmured, smiling solemnly at the man before striding away quickly.

"Sign out when you leave..." the man's voice nearly inaudible as Kiana traversed down the corridor.

The woman arrived before Julian's door, allowing a nervous sigh to escape before she knocked gently.

Post by PrinceKirin »

ooc: oops. I appear to have used my other characters name. Please disregard the name Kirin from my last post. It should be replaced with John. That is embarrasing!

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

OOC: This is a collaborative post made by me and Tyria... And also, just as a warning, I did use some foul language near the bottom of this post.

IC: Julian rubbed his eyes gently and took another sip of his coffee as he read over the documents on his computer. He had tried getting back to sleep last night, but that strange dream kept haunting his mind. A soft knock at his door drew his attention away from what he was reading. "Enter," he said simply to whoever was at the door. Kiana lightly grasped the doorknob, hesitating before turning it to enter the room. It was dimly lit, and out of habit, she crisply saluted Captain Grey before speaking, "I'm sorry to bother you so early, sir."

"At ease, Sergeant Drake," Julian replied, standing up and returning the woman's salute. "What can I help you with today?"

Relaxing a bit, a grim expression shadowed her face, "I wish to return to combat status, sir. My last platoon, I know, will not reinstate me to my original status until they're sure that I've recovered fully from Jeremy's death. But I already know that that will not be an easy task, and most likely it will not happen for a year or more... And I hope you understand my situation, sir."

Julian nodded slowly, "Yes, I understand your situation, Sergeant, but I can't clear you for combat." Kiana gave him a confused look and he continued, "Don't worry, Sergeant, the doctor will clear you for combat as soon as your physical wounds are healed, until then I can't lift a finger."

He reached behind him and flicked off the computer before crossing the room to a nearby chair. "As for your emotional wounds you can speak to the base counselor as soon as you're cleared to leave the hospital, or you can talk to me. Take a seat, if you want," he said indicating a soft chair across from him.

"Thank you," the woman nodded before settling into the offered seat. "Emotionally, I believe I will be fine, but I'm sure that everyone who has read my updated background will think otherwise... I don't blame them for that, but I think doing something will help ease the pain a little bit."

Pausing slightly, Kiana risked a glance into Julian's eyes, "Permission to speak frankly, sir?"

"Granted," Julian replied simply.

"How many survived the accident?" Kiana inquired quietly.

Julian looked at her very closely, trying to decipher what it was that she was trying to get at. "Not very many," he replied, "A handful at least."

"Did you know anyone..." Kiana's voice faltered as she looked down. "That died in the collapse..?"

A pained look passed over Julian's face. "Yes," he replied, "my brother and my mother were both killed in the collapse."

"Is that why you wanted to know what happened to me yesterday?" the woman spoke softly, afraid that she might upset Julian.

Julian smiled softly. "No," he replied, "I needed your testiment for the on-going report that I've been writing about the incident."

"Oddly enough... I wish I hadn't survived..." Kiana meekly whispered, nearly inaudible.

"We all think that at some point in our lives," Julian replied sympathetically, "but you should be thankful that you're alive. I know you're sad over the loss of Jeremy and I feel your pain, but you're not the only one who has lost loved ones in this war. Just about everyone on this base has lost someone, but we can't allow ourselves to despair. We mustn't lose hope that their deaths weren't in vain. We have to keep fighting, we can't quit now. Thats what Jeremy would want."

"I know..." she agreed, nodding in comprehension. "It's difficult though."

"I know its difficult, Kiana," Julian replied with a gentle smile, "but the sun always rises in the morning. We'll get through this war yet, and we'll win because we will never stop fighting until every one of those sons of bitches are dead!"

"How many have to die though until we win?" Kiana questioned, her eyes narrowed in thought. "We sacrifice our lives in hopes that we can regain earth. And we watch as everyone around us dies on the battlefield. No one knows what we face out there and how tormenting it is to survive a battle and trudge home..."

"No they don't, and thats why we have to keep fighting," he replied, his smile fading. "Because we have to fight so they don't have to. We aren't just trying to retake the Earth. We're defending our loved ones, we're defending those that aren't strong enough to fight for themselves, and most importantly we're defending all humankind from extinction."

"I don't have anything worth fighting for anymore," Kiana replied darkly. "Fighting for the memories of my family and Jeremy... Thinking how they would be proud, but they're not here anymore. This war has become a crusade that's claimed everyone around me, and it's unbearable!"

"Then fight for all those who have lost someone they loved to this war. Rally together and use your pain and suffering as a weapon to strike your enemies down with. If we cannot defend our families from them then we will make damned sure they feel our wrath."

"I can't do that anymore!" Kiana cried, rising from the chair, pushing it back slightly. "I've carried more than my share of pain, and it's killing me! It is so easy to say that there is a future, but how can one see that when all they see is desolation and death. I never was fit to be a soldier, but I wanted answers. But even that wasn't enough to satisfy my mind, and still I pursued for answers to the questions about my family's end. How am I to trust what is said to me when all I am offered are words... Words that mean nothing."

Julian lowered his eyes to the floor, his expression darkening visibly. "If that is how you feel then I am sorry, Kiana," he replied quietly, "In your--"

Julian was interrupted suddenly by a soft knock at his door. "Enter," he ordered, slightly annoyed. The door slid open and permitted access to his aide, the man stood awkwardly in the door and spoke, "Excuse me, sir, but you ordered me to tell you when our missing squad was in..."

"Yes, and," Julian's annoyance plainly showed in his voice.

"Well their shuttle has just now begun their docking procedures."

"Thank you," he said simply, "You are dismissed."

"Yes sir," the man replied and with a crisp salute he exited the room. Julian rubbed his temples gently before turning back to Kiana. "As I was saying," he began, "In your condition you are no good to me. If I were to send you out into battle now you would only be a liability. I need soldiers that I can trust who won't crack out in the field. Soldiers that won't jeopardize the lives of not only themselves but of every member in their squad because they didn't have the heart to fire."

He stood up suddenly, looking down at her with a stern yet compassionate look. "With that in mind, Sergeant Drake, I expect your resignation on my desk tomorrow at 0800 hours..."

Post by PrinceKirin »

Despite the smiles on John and his teams faces, not too mention those around them and every one on the base that knew of what they had doen for moral, they had no idea of how the CO would react. John spoke, "Listen, if we get into trouble, it was my idea and I will take the fall."

"Like heck!" Stevens said.

"We all went and we all volunteered." Said woodring.

"I need Woodring and Makintyre to come with me. The rest of you go to your quarters and get some rest." John said.

They did so and went their different ways.

John, Woodring, and Makintyre found themselves at the captains door. Under John's left arm was the artifact they had recovered. All three still had most of their gear and comaflage on. John knocked and aniously awaited.