Buying exclusive rights or a company, opinions wanted

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

To get exlcusive rights to this alloy should I only have to...

buy the company.
50%
just buy exclusive rights to the alloy.
50%

Total votes: 4

The Sojourner

Buying exclusive rights or a company, opinions wanted

Post by Nivest »

For my mining company, Kar Mining Operations, I want to buy exclusive rights to an a non-RPed (as far as I know) cannon company's alloy. Can I just do this, or do I have to buy the company?

The only info I have the company, Star Core Fuels aka Krydon Group, is GCW era and at the time it was a fairly large company (20 + million employees) and it had ties with the empire. Considering that this is the NR era now, I think it would be reasonable to assume that people would distance themselves from this company because of their ties with the empire, thereby hurting Star Core Fuels business and making them more likely to sell exclusive rights to an alloy they developed. This was alloy was a pretty valuable breakthrough at the time, though it might not be so as much in the main board timeline.

Anyways, do I have to buy the company to have exclusive rights? If so, how much do you think would be reasonable? Or can I buy the exclusive rights to alloy? Again, if you think that's reasonable, how much?

Thanks.

Competitors of Kar Mining Operations are not allowed to post in this thread.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Before I go answering that question, what's the alloy do?

Post by Pattman »

And in my view. No! Simple fact is, if somebody find the alloy on a planet in the galaxy, and there are a lot of them, then they should be allowed to mine that alloy.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Ahem.. Pattman... just FYI... alloys are not found naturally in nature, they're manmade combonations of naturally occuring materials.

An example of this in the SWU is Cortoris Alloys, while pure cotoris ore can be shaped into usable objects teh metal is naturally brittle, therefore it's usually never found in usable items in it's purest form. It's always an alloy that gets used in items like armor and melee weapons because it's much much stronger and though it doesn't maintain the properites of a pure corotsis item (immediatly disabling a lightsaber blade) it does lend it's resistive properties to the item creating an armor that can deflect or even block a lightsaber's blade.

All that being said, without knowing the alloy in question and such, I'd have to say no, if it's an "offical" EU item/company, because I'm against mucking with estblished EU in general and because there's no way to stop someone who doesn't repsect a persons claim of exclusitivity and I can think of a myriad of different ways around such a claim right off hand..
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest »

Vox, it's a light, but strong alloy which can be used for vessels of Corellian Corvette size or smaller to create thinner than normal hulls without reducing hull strength. This allows the ship to have more room inside, and also have less mass making it more agile.

Coron, I guess you're essentially saying that I have to buy the company, right?
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

No I'm saying I think you should just RP buying the stuff from teh company... you don't need exclusive rights to the stuff...
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Yeah, no need to buy the rights since that would just be a futile attempt.

Post by CorwynSylver »

I dont see how any one company can honestly claim to have the exclusive rights to an alloy. True, alloys are man made, but they are not 'inventions', per se. Any idiot that can operate a spectomoter can analyze the composition of an alloy, and I am sure the base elements are available out there in the wide galaxy. What's to stop another company (say.... Silver Rose Shipping, for instance?) from analyzing the compound, and fabricate it? How would it be regulated? Is there a metallurgical (sp??) police force that would come after me, or anyone else that chose to fabricate it?

Fighter designs, weapon designs, droid schematics, even means of extracting and smelting metals can all be patented. But chemical compounds cannot, because there is the chance that they could be found in nature, if in a rough form. Yes, alloys are manmade, but that doesn't mean that that same alloy could not have somehow formed naturally.

That's my opinion, anyway.... nor could I vote here because neither of the choices reflected how I see it. The vote oughtta be

A. Buy out or otherwise own exclusive rights to Alloy 'X'.
B. Make the alloy open to all, but my company has exclusive rights to it's distrinution in many sectores (barring competitors that duly RP their business)

Just my two cents that have corroded and stuck together.
Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest »

Meh, that's a good point. Scratch this thread then. :|
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Since the purpose of the thread is done I'm going to lock it down to avoid furthur debate...