To those who plan to play SWG: Do we want to pick a server?

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Do we want to choose a server for this community to play on?

Yes
80%
No
4%
Undecided
16%

Total votes: 25

Lord Defender

To those who plan to play SWG: Do we want to pick a server?

Post by coronhorn »

I know not all of us will be picking up the game and playing once it releases but I figure those of us that will be would likely all like to try and get on the same server. I know the RSA hasn't picked one yet and that if possible we'd like to stick with as many other RP boarders as possible just to carryover teh community into the game.

So my question is...
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Defintely. I mean the game is the reason we all ended up on the SWG RP boards right? We should do all we can to keep the community together.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Ok.. that didn't format like I thought it would silently curses ez-board formating

If you have any suggestions or debate it's also welcome, my inital leaning is towards the unoffical RP server that www.swgrp.com is advocating, but then personally I'm also looking at building atleast one character on Bloodtide or whatever the unoffical east coast GCW server is. I'd also be open to picking a wholely different server as well, especially considering not all of the launch servers have been released yet.
I'd rather be hunting

Post by Bizzy »

yes, that way if and when the rest of us get the game, we have a place with friendly people that we are used to and know.
Location: Sitting in a comfy chair,staring at a computer screen.

Post by Corran_Stone »

The SWG:RP unoffical server is Starsider many rping pa's and people are going there as is VR I think it is certainly the best choice right now.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

It's defaintly a good choice, but the thing to consider is that there will be hard caps on population per server, I think it's somewhere in the 12,000 range total with like 3500 simultainuous. It doesn't take very many groupd of 100ish to fill up a 12,000 player server..
Man of Many Faces

Post by corsos »

Agreed, we need to pick a forum for ourselves.

:emperor:
Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt »

.I agree. That is something we should address.
Tabetha/Hunt
I got out of the bed today.
Swear to god couldn't see my face. I got out of the bed today starin at a a ghost.
Who forgot to float away didn't have all that much to say couldn't even tell his own name or where my body goes.
-Winter Sleep Weighty Ghost
It's an animal thing
Riddick
Shadowalker

Post by shipfixer »

I would have to agree, we should try to find a nich in the universe where we can all do this together, start as a family and play as one also.
Credit Cop

Post by KetMaliss »

That's something that's always been heavily debated, because even though many of us are on seperate sides of the GCW, many of us have also grown into close friendship and would love to play with those we've become so attached to. Frankly, I've kind of lost track of where the game is heading, so whatever server the RSA as a whole decides on, I'll be there.

But if that server is different from the one the majority of my friends here pick, I'll be creating another character for that one. It's important that we stay together and maintain the community we've created here.

Post by Top_Gun509 »

I dont think we should be on Starsider, it might fill up. I dunnoz your choice. And y doesnt RSA and SWGRP choose same serv
Queen of the Damned

What we must ask ourselves, do we want to play with just the members of this community or do we want to to go to a larger server?

:amidala:
Tabetha/Hunt
Swear to god couldn't see my face. I got out of the bed today starin at a a ghost.
Who forgot to float away didn't have all that much to say couldn't even tell his own name or where my body goes.
It's an animal thing
Riddick
'And So it Goes'

Post by Jack_Sigma »

Yowsers Tab, you just had to be unique, didn't ya? :? ...hehe, anywayz, yeah, we should definately pick a server, and why not have it be Starsider? I mean, after all, if we do all get on, it's better for us as a whole if others around us are RPing too, not just us.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Most indubidi... indubimbdi...

... :x

Most definately! :)

If I wind up able to purchase the game and play it upon initial release, then I'd like to know where we're going to wind up. :mrgreen:

Post by DrezMernik »

*blinks*

Yeah... what everyone else has said. :D
I'd rather be hunting

Post by Bizzy »

:x <----Why does this one look like it's constipated?
I'd rather be hunting

Post by Bizzy »

D'oh! Sorry guys, wrong topic. Can't believe I did that...

*bangs head on keyboard while muttering Stupid, stupid, stupid...*
Queen of the Damned

Reaylly jack its not about being different, Im partly blind its easier for me to see te red lettering.

:amidala:
Tabetha/Hunt
It's an animal thing
Riddick
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

*Looks at Jack*

'Erm... why have you got your foot in your mouth again?'

As for picking a server, definatly. We should all stick together if we can.
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

Oh yeah, like I wanna play with you guys! If you all got any more livelier, a funeral might break out!

But seriously, folks, these are some good people. Give 'em a hand, they're alright.

The (un)official RP movement (SW:RP) is moving to Starsider. Now, I'm not too up-to-date on the whole "actual game" concept (the last time I checked out the actual SWG webpage, Yoda was a youngin.) - but I do think that there are going to be actual RP servers (I'm also pretty sure that the SW:RP people know that Starsider is going to be an RP server, if such a beast exists).

If Starsider isn't an RP server, and such things as RP servers exist, then, I say we go with an RP server.

Why, so we can hang around snobby RPers all day?

Noooo. Believe me, I've played quite a few online RPGs (I hate to admit that) and the best servers are those that have roleplaying rulesets OR have a significant roleplayer population. It's just the crowd that such a server attracts.

So, that's, uh, my two cents. Great. Now I can get chased around in-game, too.

*Hides under desk*

"There are other ways of dealing with this than fighting."
Queen of the Damned

Dont hide Xfined(hope I spelled it right if not sorry) Last time I checked you are in the majority.
Tabetha/Hunt
It's an animal thing
Riddick
Man of Many Faces

Post by corsos »

Sure, why not Starsider.
"The goal of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

:emperor:
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

Well, here's where the servers are. I think we are, on average, spread around the globe. However, if it turns out that Starsider is in a bad spot for a lot of people, then we could easily pick another one.

1. Ahazi: US West Coast
2. Bloodfin US East Coast
3. Bria US West Coast - Currently the Beta Server
4. Chilastra US East Coast
5. Corbantis US West Coast
6. Eclipse US East Coast
7. Flurry US West Coast
8. Gorath US East Coast
9. Intrepid US West Coast
10. Kauri US East Coast
11. Kettemoor US West Coast
12. Lowca US East Coast
13. Naritus US West Coast
14. Radiant US East Coast
15. Scylla US West Coast
16. Starsider US East Coast
17. Sunrunner US West Coast
18. Tarquinas US East Coast
19. Valcyn US West Coast
20. Wanderhome US East Coast
Like what I write? I can fix that. Visit my website.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)

Post by Top_Gun509 »

No one understands how many PA's want to be on starsider. That server probably has the greatest chance of filling up and crashing, so why don't we pick starsider's brother, sunrunner. Or something to taht extent..
Location: Sitting in a comfy chair,staring at a computer screen.

Post by Corran_Stone »

I like Starsider and quite frankly I find the idea that the at best 2500 people that are linked with SWG:RP will " fill up the server" I am actually expecting the servercap to be higher than the current industry standard and therfore should pose no problem if we want to join the rest of our fellow RP'ers on Starsider.

P.S Xfiend as of right now the devs have stated that they have no plans for ANY kind of speciality server at launch.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

X, that's not the complete list of servers.. those are just teh first 20, I would have to guess well probably see atleast maybe doubt that at launch.. at the very least 30 maybe...