Discussion about Exodus Site's Future

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryde
Pryngles

Re: Discussion about Exodus Site's Future

Post by Pryde » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 pm

It sounds appealing to me too, Star. I still feel like I'm writing in the shadow of people who aren't here anymore. In terms of impact over the years I haven't really made much of a contribution when compared to people like Halo, Shaggy, Cadden, Cazzik and all the rest. A chance to start over and play a larger role is very enticing so I'm right there with ya. ;)
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Also, I did a bunch of stuff with a few of my characters that I really don't like anymore. I'm a hair's breadth away from retconning like everything. ><

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:57 pm

I will say a 'reboot' using the new Star Wars continuity does sound appealing to me as well.

A new start with the Twins would be nice. That doesn't mean that old characters can't be brought back in later, or if old writers were to pop in and want to bring some of their characters back, with an obvious retcon with the new continuity.

I wouldn't think of it as 'starting over', but more like streamlining the MBT to make it fit in more closely with the new.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:39 am

I'm honestly not too fond of RPing in the new canon. Maybe because of how "new" said canon is, but, to me, it's kind of confusing and seems more... I dunno, restrictive?... than what the old EU had to offer. I'd probably change my mind as they reveal more of the new canon story to us, but right now, for me, it really isn't all that appealing.
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:47 am

I'm not against a reboot. I've been reading up on different information that's been released concerning backstory. Certain things that would have made the movie a lot clearer actually and could have easily been a few lines of dialogue here and there, honestly.

I guess the question comes down to if we were going to do a reboot, how would we go about doing it?
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Your Reigning, Defending EFL Champion
2x EFL Champion (2014, 2017)

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:08 am

I'm not particularly attached to my current storyline, tbh. If it were, *ahem*, a bit more original (*shifty eyes*), then yeah, I'd have a much higher opinion, but... I've been advocating a possible reboot for some time, now.

What we'd be adapting to would be the question, however. Is there anything particularly wrong with just rebooting under the same setting? (Post-RotJ, everything through original trilogy is canon, everything after is us.) I'm hesitant to include Post-RotJ canon at this time only for the reasons expressed in my previous post.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:54 am

That's my question. If only because there are still at least 2 more movies that are going to come out that are inherently tied in to the Post-RTJ era of canon. If we reboot before they come out and go to Post-RTJ then we run the risk of creating Exodus Canon that conflicts with those 2 movies, and generally speaking Exodus canon trumps regular canon when it comes to Post-RTJ.

I'm not against doing that, having our own canon auto-conflict, simply because of the unknown elements of the variables that we'd be playing with. I'm not sure I can see a system that we could put in place that would allow us to co-mingle with the upcoming movies.

I think the larger issue with including TFA and the upcoming movies as part of our canon is that I don't see a scenario where someone could have a "Jedi". Luke is supposed to be the last Jedi after RTJ and then in the 30 years due to Kylo and the KoR killing all of the people who were studying to become Jedi. So unless we were going with the idea of all force-users must either be KoR or badly self-taught/stumbled across a holocron/something to that effect, I'm not sure how we would do it.

Personally, I'm okay with those restrictions, if only because it cuts down on the proliferation of rampant Jedi and rampant interpretations of the Jedi Code/what it means to be a Jedi/etc.
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm all for a reboot as well. Well...sorta. I think we do need to start it over. I think a section dedicated to new stories and the like would be outstanding. I would thoroughly enjoy that.

I also don't want to 'lose' what we have now. I'm wanting to keep writing the one storyline I have (maybe two) even though I haven't touched them but that can be a 'sub-forum' or whatever you want to call it. I am all for rebooting the "main" section of the forum and adding new looks and stuff. Why not right? This old girl can still handle a lot more than what we're using it for.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:20 pm

I think the majority here agree on a MBT reboot. When I get home, I will start a new discussion thread. Where we can hash out the details.

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Please note, if/when we do do this, the Wikia admins will greatly appreciate help with the eventual conversion of articles. I'm envisioning something akin to Wook's Canon/Legacy system. But that's a "down the road" thing.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Mir can do a lot of the conversion over the summer.
#Valkob4Life

Vaemar

Post by Vaemar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm

burp
"War isn't about dying for your country, it's about making the other bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton

Starlight
Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Scrolling on my phone, I saw "this old girl" and thought someone was talking about me.

If we go ahead with a reboot, might be worth reaching out to some of the other members to let them know. They might want to jump in.
My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder,
He carries me away from all my fears;
And when the world threatens to fall asunder,
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
~Bonnie Lewis

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Cadden I will help if you show me how, or walk me through it.

I'm all for the MBT becoming "Legacy" status and still writing there.

I think the first thing we start with are a list of "what we wants" maybe a theme style, etc.

I also like what Star said, I think we should talk to older members.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Let's move this discussion to a 'fresh' thread HERE

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:39 am

Starlight wrote:Scrolling on my phone, I saw "this old girl" and thought someone was talking about me.

If we go ahead with a reboot, might be worth reaching out to some of the other members to let them know. They might want to jump in.
If people has the contact info I'd be all for that. Would be fun to write with some of the old faces (erm, handles?) again.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:51 am

Vox wrote:I'm all for a reboot as well. Well...sorta. I think we do need to start it over. I think a section dedicated to new stories and the like would be outstanding. I would thoroughly enjoy that.

I also don't want to 'lose' what we have now. I'm wanting to keep writing the one storyline I have (maybe two) even though I haven't touched them but that can be a 'sub-forum' or whatever you want to call it. I am all for rebooting the "main" section of the forum and adding new looks and stuff. Why not right? This old girl can still handle a lot more than what we're using it for.
I agree with that second part. I'm enjoying the story I'm writing so far on the Skywalker thread but sadly that story only works in the context of the galaxy it's currently in. Not just because of the Jedi thing but also because the bad guy is someone who is already established in this galaxy.