Avengers: Age of Ultron *SPOILERS*

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Shaggy
The Rev.

Avengers: Age of Ultron *SPOILERS*

Post by Shaggy » Sat May 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Don't see a thread for it yet but

OMG blafrgmyoeafshfoikjhfdpguihpiuhrtljnsdklgjn kjngjgejhrger!!!!!

Ya, really good
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Red Dragon

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Post by Red Dragon » Sun May 03, 2015 6:24 am

I enjoyed it.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Sun May 03, 2015 8:37 am

It was...good. It wasn't great. I think they tried TOO hard to make this movie what it was supposed to be. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but...too much humor? What the crap with Romanov and Banner? Not that it wasn't "okay" but right after getting it HANDED to you your making that scene? Do a little more lead in.

Also...How was War Machine the only dude to show up to help them? Like...honestly where was Falcon? Or...ya know...yeah...

I did enjoy it, it was very good but I think there was too much going on and not enough going on at the same time.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Sun May 03, 2015 11:27 am

well if we are going to complain... There were moments in the action were it was going too fast, i couldn't tell what was going on or what happened. I'm sure if i watch the movie enough times I will see it all... But it shouldn't be like that right? Meh still enjoyed it
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 am

Saw it last night with a buddy of mine.

I'd give it a 7.5/10.

The Banner/Romanoff romance felt way too forced. It would have felt better if they had set this up in Avengers or even in Winter Soldier, where she's wearing an arrow necklace to reference Clint, but nothing to reference any attraction towards Banner.

There was too much humor. Too much character development and potential seriousness and action sacrificed for little one liners or jokes. The Cap hates cursing thing was good. Some of Tony's one liners were alright. Ultron should never have joked around that much or said "yeah".

That being said, the quotes that Ultron uses throughout the movie were exceptional. The "Upon this rock I shall build my Church" line in reference to the Vibranium was outstanding.

Overall, it seemed like a retread of Avengers itself, but this time around you knew how everyone was going to interact with each other, so some of the humor and dialogue felt flat. It was definitely the Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest effect, as opposed to an Empire Strikes Back effect or TDK effect.

I liked the setup for Ragnarok. I liked the subtle set up for Civil War. I don't understand the point of killing Pietro. Also, Baron Strucker was so underwhelming and pointless that it would have been better to use someone else instead of him, such as a more throwaway person or even someone created just for the MCU. I'm still unsure why War Machine (Yeah buddy) showed up, but not Falcon, during the final battle.

While Whedon was great for Avengers, this time around, there were significant weaknesses and flaws that were exposed. This is nowhere near as a tight of a film and tight of a script as TWS or even Guardians, which is why I'm happy that the Russos are taking over.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Your Reigning, Defending EFL Champion
2x EFL Champion (2014, 2017)

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Mon May 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Couldn't have said it better.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Well, now I don't have to worry about any surprise deaths, since now I know who dies. Thanks Junior....
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Mon May 04, 2015 5:54 pm

*waves hand in front of the Old Man* :obiwan: :obiwan: :obiwan: :obiwan: :obiwan: :obiwan: You know nothing of death...

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Mon May 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Oh please. You'll live.
#Valkob4Life

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue May 05, 2015 9:04 am

Spoiler warnings please, Mir. Not everyone has seen it yet.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Tue May 05, 2015 11:27 am

Why do I get the request for spoiler warnings and Vox didn't when he posted similar statements ~24 hours prior to my post? :raisedbrow:
#Valkob4Life

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue May 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Because I skipped over most of this thread? Vox, you too, spoiler warnings. ;)

In fact, everyone, spoiler warnings.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron *SPOILERS*

Post by Mir » Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

What about Spoiler warnings that there will be spoiler warnings?
#Valkob4Life

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue May 05, 2015 12:41 pm

Um, sure?

Anyway, I've added a spoiler warning to the title but for the future, y'all, try to remember to be considerate of other people.

What few of us there are... >.>

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Tue May 05, 2015 12:50 pm

I always consider other people.

That's why I post. So they can read my beautiful prose.
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Tue May 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Pryde2000 wrote:Because I skipped over most of this thread? Vox, you too, spoiler warnings. ;)

In fact, everyone, spoiler warnings.
Hey...Hey...I didn't give any spoilers. I hinted at things that weren't conclusive arguments. My statements could easily be dismissed as saying nothing substantial. Ask the lawyer in training...

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Tue May 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Vox wrote:I didn't give any spoilers. I hinted at things that weren't conclusive arguments.
Vox wrote:How was War Machine the only dude to show up to help them?
The rest of what Vox said was already information readily available to those who frequent comicbookmovie.com or sites of a similar nature. However, even one instance of a spoiler negates any claims of being innocent of creating spoilers in the first place. We could also debate the meaning of the term "conclusive arguments", with a particular focus on "conclusive" as that would appear to be rather subjective. That being said, nothing that he said was not information that was not already available by the time of his posting through sites and articles not directly leaking the plot. Since most of us would frequent those types of websites, it hardly seems as though anything he said could be construed as information that people wouldn't already know.

All that to say that while people would or could have already known the information he was posting, the fact that he posted it, or even insinuated it, does constitute a form of spoiler. Since those articles and websites would have undoubtedly been classified with "spoiler" in the title.

Vox gave spoilers.
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Tue May 05, 2015 6:43 pm

If that's the case...
Shaggy wrote:Don't see a thread for it yet but

OMG blafrgmyoeafshfoikjhfdpguihpiuhrtljnsdklgjn kjngjgejhrger!!!!!

Ya, really good
Is a spoiler.
Red Dragon wrote:well if we are going to complain... There were moments in the action were it was going too fast, i couldn't tell what was going on or what happened. I'm sure if i watch the movie enough times I will see it all... But it shouldn't be like that right? Meh still enjoyed it
Spoiler

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Exactly.

Though Shaggy's could be construed to be only opinion with no facts behind it.

Actually same with Red's.

Neither stated information that ruined the plot itself.
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm

They're both still spoilers in the context of my post however. Considering my post was actually found in several movie clips online whereas yours was simply...well...spoiling.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Tue May 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Right. But I never said my post wasn't a spoiler. You did. And your post clearly has at least one concrete spoiler. No one who has seen the movie or read anything on the movie would expect Rhodey to be in the movie as War Machine. I think he's only in one of the trailers, as Rhodey, using a War Machine hand to help Tony try to lift Mjolnir. But nothing combative.

That's a clear spoiling of plot. :P

"However, even one instance of a spoiler negates any claims of being innocent of creating spoilers in the first place."

Alright. I've taken my cold/allergy meds and they're going to knock me out and Contracts Final is tomorrow. Have a good night and remember that a valid contract is formed through mutual assent and consideration or a consideration substitute and that mutual assent is normally manifested by a valid offer and a valid acceptance.
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Wed May 06, 2015 4:08 am

I didn't mutually agree to anything.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Wed May 06, 2015 5:19 am

I would hope not.
#Valkob4Life

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Fri May 08, 2015 5:13 am

SPOILERS

I think Clint's wife and children were heavily underutilized. There could have been a great scene of Banner interacting with the kids and they talk about the Hulk and he negatively talks about himself, but the kids remind him of how important he is and that the Hulk can be good. From the mouths of children and all that.

There could have been a great scene of the wife interacting with Captain America, where she thanks him for keeping her husband alive, and Steve in his traditional way, states that Clint holds his own and that many times Clint has saved him. They could have had her talking with Natasha a bit more about her pregnancy and show that Natasha *wants* to have biological children, thus making her statement of "who's the monster now?" to Banner mean more and explain why it means so much to her.

Also, during IM3, Pepper wanted Tony to stop being Iron Man and stop using the suits. That was kind of the point of the Clean Slate Protocol if I remember correctly. Now, he's magically still in the Avengers, without any explanation of how or why? And Pepper's okay with this, and dealt with by a few throwaway lines (Albeit good) with Thor about where their respective womenfolk are?
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Fri May 08, 2015 6:00 am

**SPOILER RESPONSE TO MIRRS SPOILERS**

In response to the Iron Man thing, that did bother me. Not to mention...does each suit have a mini arc reactor now? How is he powering them? It was off his chest but now its...how? What?

As for the Captain America thing...why did they ignore the relationship of Steve and Natasha from Winter Soldier? I liked explaining Natasha more but the timing was bad and the Hulk? Really? She has more chemistry with Steve. That might be the fact that the actually actors have known each other since they were kids though.

As for the rest...Clint's family was a nice surprise but at the same time definitely needed to pull a few more heart strings.

p.s. Mirr, have you read it yet? lol

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri May 08, 2015 7:42 am

She just likes the big green D.
--Serenity

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Fri May 08, 2015 10:58 am

SPOILERS and Theories

OK the think with Hulk and Widow. She explains it. She has been fighting all her life and she was drawn to the guy who was probably the smartest in the room and did not seek out the fight. Plus I imagine their working on the lullaby helped with that connection pretty well.

There were a ton of cut scenes folks. We were told (or leaked) that the movie was going to be closer to the 3 hour mark. Full running time was 2:22. So cutting that much obviously left out some probably key things.

Joss and the some Marvel guy fought over the dream sequences and what to reveal in them.

All the foreshadowing with Barton was crazy then to switch it up.

There is an Ultimates arc with Barton's family being slaughtered by Ultron, glad that didn't happen.

I think a lot of people missed some of the one liners which was fine, I laughed. I like Ultron's humor because it felt like he was attempting to be funny but coming form his position, don't think anyone would laugh. Ultron also said something when he and Jarvis were speaking in the beginning. He kept saying "something isn't right, something is wrong" and Jarvis said he would try to fix it. I don't believe he was talking about mankind, I think something in the programming or integration that didn't go right.

Vision and the Hammer ------- Holy crap I laughed so hard!
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Fri May 08, 2015 4:00 pm

There are cut scenes in every movie that develop the plot more deeply. Cut scenes is never an explanation or an excuse. I can't get behind that one. :D
#Valkob4Life

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Sat May 09, 2015 8:07 am

yes just like how in the desolation of Smaug there is a scene when Gandalf is in the Necromancer's castle and you see him running with someone. It's only through a cut scene you find out who it is. So yes cut scenes are no excuse :P

Also, everyone keeps saying that the Avengers and Ultron were in Wakanda. I have to say no on that one. When the scene comes up it says it is on the coast of Africa (only seen the movie once so forgive me) Wakanda is supposed to be a jungle country, in the middle of Africa, with a mountain where the vibrainium is. Not a coast town. So they can't be in Wakanda. Plus the Wakanda people are very "no outsiders allowed" so having all the boats there wouldn't fly as well.
-C.S. Lewis
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel » Sun May 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Honestly, I was really unimpressed with Age of Ultron. I dunno. First Avenger was a lot of fun. Avengers was a lot of fun. Winter Soldier was a lot of fun. Age of Ultron was... meh. Some good lines, some humor, but on the whole, it was nothing special.

But I'm not really a comic book/graphic novel fan, so maybe I just don't "get it."

Agents of SHIELD is rapidly losing its impressiveness again, too; it was weakening until Winter Soldier, which rejuvenated it, and now it's getting very "meh" again.