Arrow

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Arrow

Post by Vox » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Alright so let me get this out of the way before I say anything else:

I am a comic book fan. A diehard comic book fan. I get pissed when the movies don't go exactly by the comics (i wanted to burn down the theater at Iron Man 3) and I know what is coming and I am actually a very pleased person for the most part when they go by the comics. I loved Amazing Spider Man 2 even if her death was brutal. That was a "holy crap that was down right nasty" death but I understood it and they did it well.

Arrow...I haven't actually watched an episode on the CW. I watched the first two seasons on Netflix in about four days (yay binge watching!) Now...Season 3 Episode 1...I cannot...I'm genuinely pissed. Seriously. I know she wasn't the Canary in the comics. I know Laurel (Dinah) actually is, but still. I'd have rather she just go off with the League of Assassins which...how is it not the League of Shadows but that is a whole other issue. The acting was amazing, the chemistry was good at times but then again the guy playing Arrow is Chris O'donnells doppelganger (if you don't believe me put an image of him and C.O. playing Robin side by side) and he's also not exactly the best actor. The show itself is very well done though. I'm not sure what I'm angrier at...her being dead or the fact I'm this angry over a television show...

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Re: Arrow

Post by Mir » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Technically League of Assassins is correct. As in, that's the actual comic book name. They also go by League of Shadows which is the more common one due to Nolanverse. League of Assassins.

I wouldn't be that angry, since Sarah Lance wasn't really an actual comics character.

I would be angry that Sarah Lance, and by extension the actress, Caity Lotz, is a better Black Canary/Dinah/Laurel Lance than Katie Cassidy will be.

Sarah needed to die. There was no real impetus for Laurel to want to go down the vigilante path, unless they killed the father, let's be real. Her character arc has been incredibly whiny. I do mean incredibly. It's downright annoying. I might start texting Cazzik about it, I already do about the See Also.

Stephen Amell is the strongest main character actor on that show, except for maybe Emily Bett Rickards/Felicity Smoak. Amell does do a decent job of mimicking a lot of Christian Bale's Batman. Which brings me to:

See also: I've had a very long discussion on FB with random people, including Cazzikstan, on the large number of parallels between Arrow and the Nolan Batman movies, as well as appropriating Batman villains. The show seems less Arrow-Like and more Batman-Lite. But that is neither here nor there.

On the whole it's better than Agents of Shield, at least to me. It's definitely better than Flash. I haven't started watching Constantine, I'm waiting for this first semester to be over. And I'll admit that I'm way too biased to put Gotham in this ranking, because Batman.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Your Reigning, Defending EFL Champion
2x EFL Champion (2014, 2017)

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Well, that was my point MIrr. She doesn't exist in the comic universe but it upset me immensely. I couldn't believe it but I guess that is the make up of a good show.

The whole "Nolanverse" thing is I think setting it all up to be wrapped into the whole Justice League, Man of Steel, Batman theme they are going with. DC has always been darker than Marvel. Always. I think they are actually embracing that because they know their fans actually want that from them as well. I like most of it to be honest.

I agree her character has been way too spoiled. Far more than either of the Queen kids which is crazy. I like the direction of the show though it has definitely been worth watching that death just threw me for a loop though. I just couldn't believe how angry I was at it actually making sense because that never actually makes me angry.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Negative. DC and Warner Bros. have already gone on record stating that the DC TV Universe and the DC Film Universe are totally separate. Stephen Amell has gone on record saying that he thinks that's stupid and I agree with him.

As one indicator, they've cast a different person as Barry Allen for the Flash movie.

I like the DC movies more, because Nolan is my favorite current director and Man of Steel comes from the same overall thought process as the TDK trilogy. Granted, there should have been less destruction in MoS. They could have had the same amount of battle with a lot less collateral damage. Though it could be part of the character development, since Superman doesn't like collateral damage and this was really his first outing. Probably not, but it could be.

I had a feeling after the end of Season 2 that she was going to die. Not immediately, I thought it would be more along the lines of S3's winter/mid-season finale. Or even the S3 Season finale.
#Valkob4Life

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:23 am

I actually like the Flash even more than Arrow, but I don't read comic books. (For example, right after an episode of either show, I frequently look up which villain they were dropping really obvious hints about, because I don't know. I didn't even make the connection with Ray Palmer until last week's episode of Arrow.)

I was a huge fan of Arrow in seasons 1-2, but with Oliver Queen and the Adventures in Hong Kong!, it seems like they're losing sight of the "5 years in hell" idea; I'm not sure that the show has remained consistent in that sense (but I haven't gone back to look for that kind of thing). I also don't like that Green Arrow has gone from proactive justice-maker to an almost entirely reactionary hero, always a few steps behind, chasing the villains that asked him to chase them. (It's a common superhero trope, and one that I like to have subverted.) It's still a good show, but not as good as it was.

I like the Flash because reasons. I won't even watch Constantine because reasons. Gotham is okay, but I'm still not entirely on board. It honestly seems like almost everything they do is out of the desperate hope that the show will last 15 seasons, so they can have Batman (also, it's weird for so many of Batman's villains to be so much older than him).

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 am

Yeah the Hong Kong thing kind of killed it for me.
#Valkob4Life

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:12 am

Mir, what I meant was the direction in regards to the "dark" nature of the DC stuff is all the same in terms of relation to the batman movies.