Neverwinter Nights 1 Persistent World

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Darkheyr
"Certified Local Madman"

Neverwinter Nights 1 Persistent World

Post by Darkheyr » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:18 am

Hey folks,

Some of you are aware that I have been part of an NWN1 server team for quite some time - since 2003, to be exact. Over the past years, the german-speaking NWN community has been in a steady decline, to the point where only a handful of german-speaking players remain, spread across far too many servers. Thus, some months ago, we decided to make a move to translate everything to english, and redesign all the things that have been bothering us anyway.

As it stands, we're down to two regular developers and a small handful of regular players, and thus, we're looking for more people to help us build - and of course, play. However, we're pretty big on player contributions and involvement. We have some very, very useful tools for uploading content to the module, live updates included. Want to build your own house? Not a problem. Design a dungeon? Hell yes! We do look over new things post-upload, but unless it clashes with the general setting intent or shows other glaring issues, your things won't be vetoed and deleted, or anything like that - at the most, expect a 'Hey, this and that isn't optimal, could you fix it eventually?'.

To the setting - the entire thing is set in the Forgotten Realms, more specifically in the Silver Marches, at the Fork - the road crossing between Sundabar and Citadel Adbar. The year of play is 1392 DR, however, pretty much all 4E Events - Spellplague and all - did not occur, or occured far less invasive and different. I'm working on translating the timeline for that, still.
The Fork started out as a tavern, and some merchant tents and wagons. Over time (from 1378 DR on, IC) the players started to build up the settlement. Now, it's a walled frontier town with it's own trading coster, an arcane academy, and a score of merchants. A very significant part of that has been pushed through player action - and that is really what we want to see.

We are not looking for players to just come online and expect a DM to run quests for his amusement - as said, we're two devs, and our focus is on building now, first and foremost. Of course, if you yourself want to DM a quest, feel free!
We are however looking for players that want to do their own thing, work on their own story. As an example, we had a new player who joined up, did some banditry thing in the woods, and eventually ended up founding a group of rangers with their own keep, and commanding that small army against a band of gnolls and their lich master - effectively, he became one of the most influental characters in the setting. Another example is the pair of now-archmages that founded the local academy. We have and had merchants and politicians, too... and simple city guards.
Thus, as you can expect, despite being based on D&D 3E (with some 3.5 / PF related changes of our own) our focus is not dungeon crawls and treasure hunting. It's character interaction. In fact, there is no XP to be gained by killing monsters, but by actually being online. Our starting level is 8 (unless you want it to be lower, we've had that) which is enough to play a reasonably experienced character, for choosing less mechanically perfect abilities and still be sufficiently competent, and for going along into combat with higher level characters without dying in two hits - our power progression is not quite as exponential as D&D, thanks to the way we handle money and equipment. On that part - your character is assumed to do whatever to gain cash while you are offline. You do not need to grind.

With all that being said - it is all very much work in progress right now. We are rebuilding many things from our old area, and reusing some others - our old module had well over 500 areas. There's lots of translation work to be done still, and more than enough other work. However, especially if any of you would like a hand in building, now's the time. NWN building is one of the easiest out there, especially with our live update system.

Just yell at me if you are interested, and go over to silm.pw to have a look at what's on the website so far. There's easy to use instructions and a simple installer for NWN and our custom content there, too - all you need to bring yourself is your own unique CD keys for NWN1 and it's addons. Good Old Games sells that for next to nothing these days, and IIRC you actually get NWN for free at the moment if you preorder Witcher 3 from them - which you should, if you want to support the devs, and get a great DRM free game :)

And, of course, just shoot if you have any questions. I'd love to play and build with some of you folks!

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Re: Neverwinter Nights 1 Persistent World

Post by Jagtai » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 am

Damn, that looks interesting...

How much have you translated so far?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters

Darkheyr
"Certified Local Madman"

Post by Darkheyr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm

The game itself is, with a few exceptions, in english. What we haven't translated is mostly stuff such as webpage rule entries, a few descriptions, and a scarce few examples of ingame stuff - two or three spell descriptions, a placeable or NPC here and there. What's there is perfectly playable in english, really, if you don't mind the occasional chair being called 'Stuhl' instead :p

The main work in progress is reworking and rebuilding right now. For instance, niv has just completed the basic of our new weather framework,and I'm working on an updated version of the Fork's Academy of Arts, right now :)

Lots of work, given the amount of area we're covering. I think you can already walk for half an hour from west to east, on the longest distance, and there's more to come.

Darkheyr
"Certified Local Madman"

Post by Darkheyr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:53 am

For those still interested, we also have a DEV blog up and running:

DEV Blog