Random thought about the movie World War Z

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Random thought about the movie World War Z

Post by Vox »

So...the theory is if you have a injury or disease that makes you an "unsuitable host" like the guy with the limp in Korea...then how come they just didn't send in the Israeli girl with the chopped off hand to go grab everything without worry in the WHO building? I mean seriously...if that theory were true (which it ended up being true) why not just...ya know...do that?
Mand'alor

Re: Random thought about the movie World War Z

Post by Cadden »

Because it wasn't proven until he got himself sick? :P
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.

Post by Nichalus »

It was only if the host body had a 'disease', not just injured or missing a limb. The girl just had her arm chopped off, she wasn't diseased
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Explain the dude in Korea then Nich. He just had a limp.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

It was any kind of physical ailment/disability that proved disadvantageous to the contagion.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Cadden wrote:It was any kind of physical ailment/disability that proved disadvantageous to the contagion.
Thank you! So yeah...why in the world did they not send her in...and also why were they trying to kill her even toward the end? Because after they were given the serum and getting all shot at they still weren't attacking people! This movie is still awesome but now this is bothering me.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Rant incoming...

They made a point about zombies avoiding anyone who was "terminal" in some way, so the soldier with the missing hand wouldn't have worked, and it also covers why they still went after the main character even though he got a piece of shrapnel through him during the plane crash earlier - which was a little debilitating. Of course that still doesn't explain why they avoided the soldier with the bad leg back in the first part of the film - unless he had gangrene or something, but the movie never indicated that was the case.

Honestly, that whole plot concept ruined the movie for me since it makes zero sense, internal logic or not.

The only reasoning they gave for it was that predators don't attack the sick and dying, which is BS. Predators don't necessarily target sick animals, but they don't avoid them either. Predators go after whatever prey is easiest to catch. And it's not like the zombies are hunting people for some primal predator instinct anyway. They're never shown doing more than biting a person before moving on. Not once does a zombie eat anybody in the movie.

I might've bought it if the zombies had shown any kind of reasoning ability, but they literally throw themselves head first at everything with only the slightest provocation. I just couldn't buy that they magically could sense who not to attack when they mindlessly go after pretty much anybody that moves. I also don't understand why the zombies would even care about people with debilitating illnesses. The zombie infection takes less than 30 seconds to completely turn someone and then they're immune to any other diseases (explained as much at the WHO lab when the doctors said they tried infecting the zombies with stuff to kill them and none of it worked) so what's the problem going after the terminally ill again?

Anyway, the movie is full of holes if you really look at it. It was subject to some massive rewrites, so that can explain a few things, like the kid they rescue who is never seen again after the main character leaves the aircraft carrier.

One thing I do like is the unintentional irony of Peter Capaldi playing a WHO doctor when he's now playing the Doctor on Doctor Who. :oldrazz:
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

They did also release an "Unrated" version... that might've included some zombie flesh eating scenes? (Though I think we bought that version, and I don't recall ever seeing any, so....)
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

I don't think I've seen that version, but I'm reasonably certain there isn't any flesh eating in it either. The zombie MO was pretty clear: bite person, move on to the next person, repeat as many times as needed.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

That's surprisingly tame for a "zombie" movie.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
"Into the flames"

Post by Coal »

I remember from the book that the plague seemed to start in the deep backwoods of China, a 'deep underground, recently uncovered'-type scenario (which wasn't covered in the film). If the Z-plague was some form of ancient or alien, hive/colony organism, bite/spread/don't kill, along with not infecting people with terminal illnesses, would make sense as an intelligent decision on the plague's part. The best chance for it's survival is finding healthy hosts that would best spread it further and wouldn't compromise it's own health.

But, yeah, it was pretty silly for those two things to be in the movie. I put it down to 'Hollywood simplification' of a story that was too big to properly do in a movie.
Ignorance is its own death sentence.

Reality overrides theory. And intelligence.

The universe is vast, infinite, and full of wonders and miracles to prove just how stupid and unimaginative we really are.
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

insert the book was much better statement here...

Because it was!
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

I haven't read the book, so I can't comment on that, but as the movie presents it, it's nonsensical. :oldrazz:
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Halo, you see the boy several times after he leaves the ship actually. The main one being at the end of the movie has standing with the family.

I agree though the whole thing is bonkers. About the only thing right about the Navy stuff was the diesel in the water supply.
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Halo, it's a quick read but well worth it and you see where the movie deviates from it quickly and could have been something really cool.
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki