Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Post by Nichalus »

The official title announced
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Pryngles

Re: Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Post by Pryde »

Much better than, "An Ancient Evil."
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Eh. I don't love it.

Doesn't mean the movie won't be good. "The Empire Strikes Back" sounds more like schoolyard antics than an epic film, but here we are.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

It might get changed, for all we know. I'd rather wait and see.

Besides, technically, no Star Wars title has ever really been all that good sounding:
The Phantom Menace?
Attack of the Clones???
Revenge of the Sith?!
A New Hope?
Empire Strikes Back?
Return of the Jedi?
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

RoTS, ESB, and RoTJ sound great.

Edited for Archiekins.
Last edited by Mir on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Why is it RoS and RotJ? Shouldn't it be RotS and RotJ, or RS and RJ? After all, RS and RJ would follow the convention of ESB, although not TPM or ANH. Properly, they kinda should be PM, AC, RS, NH, ESB, and RJ.

Also, "Revenge of the Jedi" was better than "Return of the Jedi," as far as titles go, but it wasn't right for the film.

(My main problem with "Revenge of the Sith" is that it isn't entirely clear what the Sith need to avenge. And "Attack of the Clones" sounds like the Clones are bad guys in that movie, and they don't turn out to be bad guys until the end of the next one.)

Anyway, Star Wars isn't awesome for its subtitles. "TFA", as it shall probably come to be known, could be as awesome as Anthony Daniels promises it will be (he said it's better than ESB), or as much a flop as the Phantom Menace. We must wait and see, unfortunately.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Definitely needed to get revenge on the scriptwriters.
#Valkob4Life
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

I'm disappointed in the name but I mean honestly... The name won't make it worse or better as a movie.
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

at least it is not attack of the clones.... I mean come on. Let's say something about the movie that doesn't really have any "clones" attacking anything and sounds like a horrible b movie title.

However, since we have not seen the movie yet or have really any major details, I think we should reserve judgement on it until we get some glimpses of the actual movie.
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
"Into the flames"

Post by Coal »

Which is probably going to be this weekend. Unless this was a snafu on Regal's part.
Ignorance is its own death sentence.

Reality overrides theory. And intelligence.

The universe is vast, infinite, and full of wonders and miracles to prove just how stupid and unimaginative we really are.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/11/co ... debut.html

Scroll down near the bottom. Regal jumped the gun, but it may still happen.

"Into the flames"

Post by Coal »

And since I didn't see anything about it in the article, I guess any official online release (youtube will win that race, naturally) would be next week so the theatres will get their sales boost for the weekend.

The universe is vast, infinite, and full of wonders and miracles to prove just how stupid and unimaginative we really are.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Well, J.J. Abrams confirmed it so I guess it's a go.

"Into the flames"

Post by Coal »

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

I do have to say... I'm really not all that impressed. But then again, it is a teaser trailer. I'll reserve my judgments for when they release the actual, full trailer.
Forgeticus!!

Post by zephre »

The Lightsaber was wierd... Obviously made to cut off your own hands.. Otherwise, They sold at least one ticket..
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Eh, not necessarily true, really. I thought it was weird, yes, and hold mixed feelings about it... but not wholly unusual in design, I suppose. It reminds me a bit of a regular medieval sword, really.
Forgeticus!!

Post by zephre »

I think that's the idea behind it, and its a good silhouette. I think that the lightsaber cross guards would get in the way. It would make sense if it was a different energy..

Or maybe the next scene is the Sithy cutting off his hands, and ol' wormy shaking is head, bemused..
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Depends on your fighting style. I could see Luke or Vader making use of it, but not folks like Maul or Yoda.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Definitely more for a Djem So kind of guy.

I don't like it.
#Valkob4Life
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

I don't like it, either. I've also never liked the "my lightsaber is on fire" blade style.

Unlike some teasers, I'm not chomping at the bit to see this movie, which is kinda weird, since it's Star Wars. I guess I just have mixed feelings about it.

Special effects look good, but that's not terribly surprising. Obviously we go back to Tatooine, but that's not surprising. J. J. Abrams managed to limit the teaser to only one lens flare, and that is kind of surprising. But since it's a teaser, there's nothing especially revealing about plot or characters, so it's hard to tell how good the actual movie will be.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Spoiler alert...

Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie , and the droids will be in it.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I don't think that's a spoiler.
#Valkob4Life
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

The lightsaber thing has a precedent in canon, sadly: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

Doesn't make it any less dumb. :oldrazz:
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!
100% Ninja

Post by GideonDuthuras »

I too think that this space lazer sword lacks the integrity and verisimilitude of other space laser swords.

Seriously claymore saber looks awesome and archaic and will hopefully tell us something about the character other than "looks cool" If it helps pretend the crossguards are exhaust ports and evil ancient sabers need them.
The law and justice are two entirely different matters.
I was born with a six-gun in my hand, behind a gun I'll make my final stand.
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

I like the claymore light saber and I think a lot of people need to take a step back and chill a bit. It's a teaser trailer and that is all it is supposed to be... A tease.

The saber on fire thing is just the crystal he used for it and to me it feels raw and angry. It's much bigger than a standard one and I am hoping his fighting style is less artists and more barbaric.

Lastly, give them some wiggle room, it was a teaser trailer (seems like I said that before) and to judge something completely out of context is just ignorant. I have already dealt with the "it's JJ Abrams and I hate his stuff so this movie will suck" people and once again ignorant. Unless you have already read the entire script and seen the rest of the movie stop talking. Let's get down off of our high horses and just enjoy the movie and not nitpick it to the point that it ruins Star Wars for you completely.

Dang...
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Shaggy wrote:The saber on fire thing is just the crystal he used for it and to me it feels raw and angry.
Yes, I know. I don't like that. As much as Star Wars is already not based in science, a laser sword that flickers with flame is that much more not based in science.
Shaggy wrote:Lastly, give them some wiggle room, it was a teaser trailer (seems like I said that before) and to judge something completely out of context is just ignorant. I have already dealt with the "it's JJ Abrams and I hate his stuff so this movie will suck" people and once again ignorant. Unless you have already read the entire script and seen the rest of the movie stop talking. Let's get down off of our high horses and just enjoy the movie and not nitpick it to the point that it ruins Star Wars for you completely.
It's a teaser trailer. If we don't nitpick, there's really nothing to say about it.

These are the things I can say about this teaser trailer:
(1) John Boyega wears a Stormtrooper suit at some point for some reason.
(2) Daisy Ridley drives a speeder at some point for some reason.
(3) Tatooine is in it (but we knew that already).
(4) The Millennium Falcon is in it (but we knew that already).
(5) Nitpicking (lightsaber, soccer-ball droid, the single lens flare, etc.).
Shaggy wrote:Dang...
Yes, indeed. You did overreact a smidgen to the mild application of honesty to a teaser for a film most of us already had some reservations about.

Post by Nichalus »

This is a 'discussion' about a teaser that technically really tells us absolutely...nothing. Hence, a 'teaser'.

Its to wet the whistle of the SW Masses that are clamoring for anything, even the briefest glimpse into the new trilogy. Congratz to JJ for doing exactly that, thus it will only make people come to complete assumptions of what that thing is that was on the side of the hovercraft the chick was riding on (if no one noticed in the close up, it 'appears' to be a light saber on the side), or study the new features on the Falcon, the X-Wings and TIES, etc...

It's tantamount to inciting a riot, but the desired effect has been achieved. Now the fanbois will clamour for more, and the arguments will ensue.

There is nothing to get anyone's panties into a twist here, just 'discuss' and move along folks. :)

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Yeah I don't think anyone was on a high horse or anything, Shaggy. I don't think anyone has reacted badly to it. More an incursion into curiosity. :D

We're um...we're missing the guy who usually covers that for us.
#Valkob4Life
100% Ninja

Post by GideonDuthuras »

Archangel wrote: Yes, I know. I don't like that. As much as Star Wars is already not based in science, a laser sword that flickers with flame is that much more not based in science.
Star Wars is Fantasy. Sayng something in it is not based in science is sort of missing the forest for the trees. These are wizards fighting with magic weapons, science has never entered the equation so getting upset that THIS particular magic weapon is less realistic is silly. I mean that you don't like it aesthetically is one thing, but pointing out the scientific inaccuracies in a film series that goes out of its way to show that a reliance on technology and science is misguided (midiclorians, and Death Star) just seems like missing the point.
The law and justice are two entirely different matters.
I was born with a six-gun in my hand, behind a gun I'll make my final stand.
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

GideonDuthuras wrote:Star Wars is Fantasy. Sayng something in it is not based in science is sort of missing the forest for the trees. These are wizards fighting with magic weapons, science has never entered the equation so getting upset that THIS particular magic weapon is less realistic is silly. I mean that you don't like it aesthetically is one thing, but pointing out the scientific inaccuracies in a film series that goes out of its way to show that a reliance on technology and science is misguided (midiclorians, and Death Star) just seems like missing the point.
:raisedbrow: You're welcome to your opinion; I'm welcome to mine. Classifying Star Wars as fantasy misses the point, too, but even fantasy establishes certain rules that it follows--magic systems and the like. "Fantasy" does not mean "license to do whatever," it's just a different setting.

Post by Nichalus »

Actually Arch I'm going to have to disagree with your logic there. Fantasy does mean you have a "license to do whatever" because ...well...it's fantasy.

Merriam-Webster defines Fantasy as "something that is produced by the imagination : an idea about doing something that is far 'removed from normal reality' (i.e. License to do whatever). :)

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I think there's a difference in the definition when it comes to literary genres. But that's just Mir.

Besides, everyone knows you use the Oxford dictionary, gosh.
#Valkob4Life

Post by Nichalus »

That's my whole point though Junior. There are people out there that get miffed about things in a 'fantasy' setting that don't conform to RL standards, or worse. don't conform to some 'Fantasy' standard which has no basis in 'any' reality.

Just seems kinda silly to have a hard-wired, unbending, opinion of such a extremely ephemeral setting.

I enjoy movie in the fantasy/action genere strictly for the story and image, not the logic behind it.

But then again, I'm just old *smirk*

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Often times....I am amazed at your abilities to write long posts when you just mastered hunting and pecking.

Nich everyday at work: Them 'puters and their new fangled technowhatchits. It's the devil's work, I swear!
#Valkob4Life

Post by Nichalus »

I was a forward thinker in my old wooden school house that sat on a hill and we had wooden desks to sit in. I took two courses in typing I and II. Plus all the cute chicks. I can type 158 WPM...so suck it Junior. :P

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

#Valkob4Life
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Nichalus wrote:Actually Arch I'm going to have to disagree with your logic there. Fantasy does mean you have a "license to do whatever" because ...well...it's fantasy.

Merriam-Webster defines Fantasy as "something that is produced by the imagination : an idea about doing something that is far 'removed from normal reality' (i.e. License to do whatever). :)
When defining the setting, yes. Once the setting is defined, you don't have license to change it however you like.

For example, if I write a fantasy book that no one has ever written before, I can say, "Everywhere a rectangle is drawn, a black hole opens and sucks people to their deaths!" If, in the sequel, I write that it's actually triangles, I've broken the rules. And it's certainly not reasonable for you to write a book in my setting and tell me that it's actually triangles that cause this phenomenon.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I'm confused, Arch's nitpicking of a single lens flare. Was he expecting more? Should we all wear glasses to Star Wars just like Star Trek? :P