Lending Kindle Books

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Nivest
The Sojourner

Lending Kindle Books

Post by Nivest » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 am

Anyone interested in borrowing and lending Kindle books? I have a pretty tight budget, so even with the reduced prices on Kindle there are a lot more books that I'd like to read than I'm able to buy. Even if you don't have a Kindle account, you can download a free Kindle app to your computer or handheld device in order to borrow. I imagine that most people here are in the same situation as I am, so the more we can share and help one another the better!

I went through my Kindle book collection on my Amazon account and checked which of the books I bought are allowed to be loaned and organized them into a list that I'll post below. Those who do not have a US Amazon account will not be able to lend books, and "may not be able to accept the loan if the title is not available in their country due to publisher geographical rights."

For how to lend and borrow, read the explanations here on Amazon's website. For compiling your own list to post here, I'd just like to add that I checked which books I can borrow using a more efficient method than what they wrote. I simply hovered over the "Actions" button next to each book in my Amazon Kindle Library list to check if I could lend.

Regarding borrowing etiquette, it's automatically returned to the lender after 14 days, so not much has to be said for in this area except for the following points:
  • Only request a book if you plan on reading it. Try reading a sample for it before requesting. If you don't accept the offer to borrow it via the email sent to you, the book will be in limbo pointlessly for seven days, when it returns to the lender. Please check your email and accept the loan ASAP. If you do accept it, they will never be able to loan that book a second time, which would be a complete waste if it wasn't read by you. Books can be only loaned once.
  • The book can only be returned to the lender after two weeks the borrower connects his Kindle (or Kindle app) to the internet. I unfortunately have "lost" one my favorite short stories this way. My friend in the army put his Kindle in his duffel bag with his worn army socks, after which it ceased to function. He gave it to his parents to try to fix but they've apparently been taking their time, and refusing to list it as KIA with Amazon, which I imagine would release it back to me.
That's about it. Those who wish to borrow a book should send a message to the board member with their email address and the title they which to borrow. Below is my list of recommended and non-recommended books that I'm able and happy to lend, divided into genres.

Recommended:

Steam Punk:
  • Haven (War of the Princes) by Ivanovich, A. R.
Science Fiction:
  • Communion of Dreams by Downey, James
    Tunnel in the Sky by Heinlein, Robert A.
    The Peace War by Vinge, Vernor
    Human Legacy Project by Cantrell, Christian
    Anansi Island by Cantrell, Christian
    Brainbox by Cantrell, Christian
Fantasy:
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by Sanderson, Brandon
    Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) by Sanderson, Brandon
    The Well of Ascension: Book Two of Mistborn by Sanderson, Brandon
    The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn by Sanderson, Brandon
History:
  • The Last Indian War:The Nez Perce Story (Pivotal Moments in American History) by West, Elliott
    Black Hawk Down by Bowden, Mark
Historical Fiction:
  • The Pomegranate Pendant by Dvora Waysman
Not Recommended:

Science Fiction:
  • Sub-Human (Book 1) (Post-Human Prequel) by Simpson, David
    Old Man's War by Scalzi, John
Last edited by Nivest on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Re: Lending Kindle Books

Post by coronhorn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Man I've got a ton of stuff on my kindle account... The Complete Soldier of the Legion series, the Complete Lost Fleet series, all of the Spinward Fringe stuff so far. I've Joe Scali's all of the Old Man's War books. I've got the MYstic Saga and the Wool anthology along with a smattering of other fantasy and scifi.
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm pretty sure I enabled borrowing for "Deathsworn Arc 1 : The Last Dragon Slayer"

Didn't you pick it up when I had on free promo?

It will be free again, but I want to finish part 2 and offer both parts free at the same time next time and part 2 is a good way off right now - I expect it will be the spring before it's finished.

I think Coronhorn has it though - so you could maybe 'borrow' it off him?

Nivest
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 am

I had actually just finished reading the sample of your book when you posted that :) If someone's willing to loan it please let me know and I'll shoot them my email address.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 am

You read the sample and you liked it enough to want to finish?

Shoot me your email on PM and I'll see if I can lend you my copy (I downloaded it myself while it was one free promo ;) )

Erm, never lent a kindle title before so might take a bit to work out :p

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 am

I can loan it to ya too... Haven't gotten to reading it yet, still finishing up some other stuff I was working on.
The Lost Holocron

Nivest
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:20 pm

I finished the sample and I definitely would like to read more of your story, Smokemare.

Dave, I sent you a PM with my email address. Thanks for being willing to lend it to me.

The reason it took me so long to reply was that I purchased and read The Name of the Wind by Pat Rothfuss. I enjoyed the book, but according to the reviews the sequel, A Wise Man's Fear, just repeats the story for the first half, throws in pages of sex orgies and doesn't really answer most of the questions that were left unanswered in the last one. What was Rothfuss thinking? That was a major disappointment, but at least I discovered this before I paid for it. I'm very particular with what I'm willing to read in books regarding sex, and even if it had be greatly written, copious sexual intercourse would have been deal breaker for me. That's why I've learned not to just read samples, but also the reviews before I purchase books.

Anyone else have any books they're willing to lend? I imagine it won't take me long to finish reading Smokemare's book, and my budget just became even tighter as my wife and I signed a rental contract for a house in Jerusalem. We're looking forward to moving back there, but it's one of the more expensive places to live in Israel.

Maul_Junior
One of a Kind Bachelor
Location: Follow the shivers running down your spine (okay, so I'm in the doghouse)

Post by Maul_Junior » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 am

Battletech: Warrior Trilogy (Michaeel Stackpole) yes, the one from the '80s.
Deathsworn Arc 1 : The Last Dragon Slayer ( by some random person that I got for free for some reason :P )

.....wow.

and that's the only one I can loan out.

70% of the rest are free stuff I haven't gotten around to reading. classic literature, philosophy, mythology, a couple of cookbooks.....

plus all kinds of Star Wars, Terry Brooks' Landover series, Princess Bride, Wind in the Willows (oh GOD what an awesome book, even after all these years after my Mom read it to me).....
Jack Thompson wrote:I think I’ve got a First Amendment right to annoy people
Some people hate Canadians...Two of my favorite Science Fiction Characters are Canadian: Rodney McKay and Deadpool.

Deadpool+Siryn 4ever

Nivest
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 pm

I just read that Kindle books may only be loaned once. I edited the first post to emphasize that as well.

Thanks for offering those books, Maul. Are you still willing to lend them even though you can do so only once? If you change your mind, I understand. It's a bit of a bummer to discover that limit, but I'm still happy to lend out my Kindle books and I encourage others to do the same.

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:09 pm

That's really odd Nivest because I don't really remember all that much sex... There's the bit where he's being romanced by the fairy queen but I don't remmeber any graphic sex scenes to it... I mean sure it mentions that they get it on but the way he really wows her is with his music. I rather enjoyed it and it wasn't all just a repeat of the first book, sure there are bits that are similar but that's because he's at a school... it's rather like saying Harry Potter is all the same because every book revolves around Hogworts...

Anyway like I said, I read the second one and I don't remember it being in anyway like you describe it but then it has been a few months since I finished it... I am very much looking forward to the third book that'll complete the initial setup for the world and I very much expect there to be more since there are clearly many more threads woven into the two books so far than can be easily tied up in just the single book left in the arc.
The Lost Holocron

Nivest
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for lending me Smokemare's book, Dave. I just accepted the loan and I now have it on my Kindle. I also joined a Kindle lending group on Goodreads and requested to borrow the Wool Omnibus. I read the sample and it seems really interesting. I loved the plot twist in the first book regarding the outside world and I've read very positive things about the series.

After what you said about A Wise Man's Fear I did a more extensive read of the reviews, and I can see they're a little mixed on the issue. Regardless, there are quite a number of reviewers that mentioned the high volume of sex and had a hard time with it, if only with how it fit with the plot and character of Kvothe.

I can understand what you're saying about him being in school still. I actually wasn't too bothered by reading that was the first half of the second book as I enjoyed learning about his time at the university. It might have been more appropriate to keep that time period in the first book, but I understand why he broke it up due to length constraints. If it hadn't been for the issue regarding sex, I would probably continue the series, though I would likely wait until February 2013 when I get that anti-trust settlement money credited to my account. His books are a little expensive.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 am

Hey, Niv. Welcome back.

I'm dang picky when it comes to sex in my recreational reading. There's nothing graphic at all, but Wise Man's Fear was a little past my comfort zone. Even if I wasn't like this, I still wouldn't have been happy with how much of the book is spent on Kvothe's sex life. Name of the Wind was vastly better, IMO, and I'm hoping Doors of Stone is good too.

Nivest
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks, Beorht! I read that you had a wedding not too long ago. Congratulations on your marriage!

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks man. :D Life is good. Still dreaming of spending time writing in Israel, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

I don't have an e-reader, so I can't weigh in.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:36 am

If any of you guys actually get around to reading 'The Deathsworn Arc 1 : The Last Dragon Slayer'...

Do let me know what you think! Even if you think it sucks or is weird seriously I don't mind constructive criticism, no matter how critical it is.

I'm trying to write 'The Deathsworn Arc 2 : The Temple of the Mad God' at the moment and I want to make it better and longer than part 1, at the moment the party are in a plague infested town... Currently about 5000 words in to what I expect to roll out at 80,000 words - 100,000 words or 250 pages of normal book.

Even if you plain don't like it and can't explain why, don't be shy - let me know.

PS: It's listed on Goodreads now : - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1606 ... worn-arc-1

Maul_Junior
One of a Kind Bachelor
Location: Follow the shivers running down your spine (okay, so I'm in the doghouse)

Post by Maul_Junior » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:11 am

I'm....trying to get back into it.

I got a good way into it, but it started reading like a manifesto or something. I got all excited for this big huge epic dragon killing adventure and then........some guy that had barely been in the spotlight is suddenly thrust into it, yanking the others out. the main quest seems forgotten, and all there is is some kind of weird almost abusive magicy stuff going on and being explained which would be okay if there was other stuff going on too.

don't get me wrong, it's interesting, it just............that's all there is. at the point I'm at anyway.

EDIT: oh God that guy on goodreads didn't even throw up a damn spoiler warning.

...........frell.
Some people hate Canadians...Two of my favorite Science Fiction Characters are Canadian: Rodney McKay and Deadpool.

Deadpool+Siryn 4ever

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 am

Hmmm, thanks, I really appreciate this, this is the first negative criticism I've had for DA1:TLD, but you can't improve if you don't know what's wrong can you?

So you think generally more action? I really wanted to make it more of a character story than a hack n' slash adventure, though I'd planned to include more action in the later books, but you don't think it's working in book 1?

I'll be honest the Vashni and Korhan thing was really, hmmm, I had reservations about it as I was writing it - I wanted her to be weird and for it to be difficult to guess what motivates her, and the whole strange relationship thing stems from that.

At what point did I start to lose you? Where are you up to now?

Thanks for the feedback, it's really just what I needed.

Smoke.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 am

Maul_Junior wrote:
EDIT: oh God that guy on goodreads didn't even throw up a damn spoiler warning.

...........frell.
I just read the review on Goodreads again... I don't see what the spoiler is? Do you think I should message him and and ask him to change it?

Maul_Junior
One of a Kind Bachelor

Post by Maul_Junior » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 am

SmokeMare wrote:Hmmm, thanks, I really appreciate this, this is the first negative criticism I've had for DA1:TLD, but you can't improve if you don't know what's wrong can you?

So you think generally more action? I really wanted to make it more of a character story than a hack n' slash adventure, though I'd planned to include more action in the later books, but you don't think it's working in book 1?

I'll be honest the Vashni and Korhan thing was really, hmmm, I had reservations about it as I was writing it - I wanted her to be weird and for it to be difficult to guess what motivates her, and the whole strange relationship thing stems from that.

At what point did I start to lose you? Where are you up to now?

Thanks for the feedback, it's really just what I needed.

Smoke.

the MAIN thing that lost me is that it became ENTIRELY about them. The rest of the cast just got left behind, you know?

At the start there's this big (small) group forming up, and it's a group effort.

Then a little later Vashni/Korhan completely take over everything, and it's pages and pages and pages of them, followed by a handful of pages of the others, then it's right back to pages of the pair again.

if this stuff had been spaced out a bit so we could see more of the group dynamic.....that's my real complaint. not that you have their stuff there--it's interesting, no doubt about that--there's just so MUCH of it, and everyone else is forgotten. I don't mind that it's character-driven as opposed to hack and slash, I actually enjoyed it a bit more because of that.

Deadpool+Siryn 4ever

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 am

Maul_Junior wrote:

the MAIN thing that lost me is that it became ENTIRELY about them. The rest of the cast just got left behind, you know?

At the start there's this big (small) group forming up, and it's a group effort.

Then a little later Vashni/Korhan completely take over everything, and it's pages and pages and pages of them, followed by a handful of pages of the others, then it's right back to pages of the pair again.

if this stuff had been spaced out a bit so we could see more of the group dynamic.....that's my real complaint. not that you have their stuff there--it's interesting, no doubt about that--there's just so MUCH of it, and everyone else is forgotten. I don't mind that it's character-driven as opposed to hack and slash, I actually enjoyed it a bit more because of that.
Ahhh, I'll be honest I never planned it that way, I really started writing it intending Votrex to be the main character. I think for the rest of the series I'm going to try and flesh the surviving characters out a bit more - Votrex I still plan to make a main character, definately more in book 2 because he's the one who is going to initiate the quest to find the Temple of the Mad God. Brael is going to become more and more 'main' especially once his curse is removed and he's able to talk freely about 'the truth' and use magic again. Saul I have an interesting story lined planned that delves into the history of himself and the Empress. Vashni I intend to have captured and be absent for at least a good half a book. Harald, I'm going to go into his back story and roots more, and the same with Silus, but they aren't intended to be key characters in the series. I have a new character coming in book two as well, a female dark elf who I'm intending to mess up the thing going on with Vashni and Korhan a bit... So many ideas so little time to write!

On balance though, taking what you've said on board, I think you're right. I should have spent more time on the rest of the group, maybe made part a bit longer in the process and broken up Vashni Korhan story more. I did try to do it a little bit and not let it completely dominate the story, but in hindsight I think I did let myself get carried away with it - so thank you for the honest critique!

Maul_Junior
One of a Kind Bachelor

Post by Maul_Junior » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:29 pm

No problem.

Like I (think) I said before. It WAS interesting stuff.

It just needed to be broken up with stuff from the rest of the group.

Deadpool+Siryn 4ever

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm a few thousand words into part two and I haven't touched on Vashni and Korhan so... I will later, but I need to work on the group dynamic i think. And their training regime has to be onhold for a bit so... I will bring it back in, but it won't be until book two is well underway.

Maul_Junior
One of a Kind Bachelor

Post by Maul_Junior » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm

just be sure not to completely forget about them. :P

yes, it's a tricky balance, I understand completely.

Deadpool+Siryn 4ever

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:30 pm

I think I need to for a bit at least... Everyone needs to recover from their experience at the end of book one and the nasty experience at the start of book two which I'm still writing. All in I'm planning book 2 to be a much darker with things generally not going as well for the party.

Do you think you could see your way to giving it 4 out of 5? I only ask because someone gave me a 3 star on Goodreads and it's lowered my average rating :(

Erm, that's if you think it's a four star'er I mean it sounds like you liked it? At least broadly speaking?

Nivest
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:20 am

Hey Smokemare. Major props on taking the step to put your work out in the market. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to give feedback as you requested. My wife and I just moved, so I've been pretty busy.

In addition to the reason of being tied up with life, I've delayed commenting because I had a hard time getting into your book, and I was finding it difficult to express why. I actually stopped reading after the village where Vashni saved the girl who was poisoned. Perhaps your writing is a style to which I just don't connect. I had the same feeling with your book that I had when reading The Dragonrider's of Pern by Anne McCaffrey, which I also started reading but abandoned before finishing.

With The Deathsworn, I found the world interesting. At least with what I've read of fantasy, it seemed like an original enough world that learning about it would be enjoyable. I think one of my favorite things about sci-fi and fantasy is world building, which is likely why Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. Maybe if I'd felt that I was getting to know your world more as the story unfolded I would have stuck with it, but I found myself not connecting enough to the characters and their quest.

I think the quickness that the characters were introduced, though, made it hard for me to become immersed in the story. While it seemed that you were working on developing them, especially with Korhan undergoing training to take himself outside his "barbarian" mold, I still felt like the characters were thrown at me instead of letting me learn about them, and therefore build an emotional connection about who they are and what they are doing. Silus seemed like an exception to this in the beginning, but then I felt like he slipped into a pretty static role as a bigoted human who happened to survive fighting a dragon. The dark elf's history was also intriguing, but he also seemed to freeze into development as a servant of Korhan until someone would come along to unravel the spell constraining him.

Even though I didn't connect with your book, I think there's a lot of potential. Keep it up!

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Nivest wrote:Hey Smokemare. Major props on taking the step to put your work out in the market. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to give feedback as you requested. My wife and I just moved, so I've been pretty busy.

In addition to the reason of being tied up with life, I've delayed commenting because I had a hard time getting into your book, and I was finding it difficult to express why. I actually stopped reading after the village where Vashni saved the girl who was poisoned. Perhaps your writing is a style to which I just don't connect. I had the same feeling with your book that I had when reading The Dragonrider's of Pern by Anne McCaffrey, which I also started reading but abandoned before finishing.

With The Deathsworn, I found the world interesting. At least with what I've read of fantasy, it seemed like an original enough world that learning about it would be enjoyable. I think one of my favorite things about sci-fi and fantasy is world building, which is likely why Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. Maybe if I'd felt that I was getting to know your world more as the story unfolded I would have stuck with it, but I found myself not connecting enough to the characters and their quest.

I think the quickness that the characters were introduced, though, made it hard for me to become immersed in the story. While it seemed that you were working on developing them, especially with Korhan undergoing training to take himself outside his "barbarian" mold, I still felt like the characters were thrown at me instead of letting me learn about them, and therefore build an emotional connection about who they are and what they are doing. Silus seemed like an exception to this in the beginning, but then I felt like he slipped into a pretty static role as a bigoted human who happened to survive fighting a dragon. The dark elf's history was also intriguing, but he also seemed to freeze into development as a servant of Korhan until someone would come along to unravel the spell constraining him.

Even though I didn't connect with your book, I think there's a lot of potential. Keep it up!
Hey thanks for the feedback Nivest! It's all good stuff, I'm hoping to address this stuff in book two. My Australian friend Sigrid also commented that she didn't learn enough of the back-story of the characters to grow a strong emotional attachment to them. I think in hindsight you and Sigrid were right on this, I should have probably spent a little more time in part 1 developing the characters. I suppose my motivation was in trying to throw the reader right into the narrative, and drip feed information about the characters as the story, and the series progressed. In some respects, I think it might have made a better story if I'd finished more and wrote it as one book, as reading back part 1, it's very hard to get the point. The actual point of the story is only hinted at and it's easily missed... Which is a bad thing. I suppose I wanted to give the reader 10% of the main plotline, but in trying to keep it subtle and build slowly, I ended up only giving 1%.

I have about 10% of the story in part 1, it really is about introducing the world and the characters, although I know, I agree I didn't actually go into the characters enough... I always planned to do most of the character building in backstory, but you're right, I should have given away more. In book 2 I am going to further develop the complex relationship between Korhan and Vashni, but I'm going to spend a lot more time on the rest of the survivors - one thing I think I found hard was dealing with so many characters in part 1. Where I am at the moment I've split the party, and I'm planning for Vashni to be captured by Tubol and Tavion later in part 2 possibly... I have a major, cool character development idea for Korhan that relates to this, but to get that, I really need to get to the crux of Brael Truthseeker and take him and the party back to Durth Orza, his curse is going to be broken in part 2 I think, and I have two new part members I intend to introduce... At the moment I'm a bit bogged down writing into a new area and trying to get my head around a major duel I'm writing in the next chapter...

Would you read part 2? That's the question, at least I'd know I was on the right track if you would! (I will announce the free promo here and on facebook of course - I wouldn't want my friends to have to pay for my ramblings :) )

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 am

Just to let you know, I've got about 30,000 words into part 2 now and more or less stopped to take stock and think about where to go.

At the moment it feels like part 1 was this group who hardly knew each other, riding off optimistically on a quest to do some good and earn some gold... Part 2 is much darker, it feels like all their optimism is being crushed, they've been on the backfoot since the survivors fled Thrax's lair... I still think part will have to be a lot longer it's taken me about 30,000 words to get them out of the first location! And I have to get them down to the bottom of the map, partially underground!

There's a lot less Korhan and Vashni - they've been too on the backfoot, injured and exhausted to do much other than rest, fight and run - I will pick it up later, but the shared experience of hardship is changing the dynamic of the relationships between the characters, they're starting to bond now and feel more like a companionship.

I'll keep you posted about the free promo of 1 & 2 when I'm ready, I reckon I need a few months though at this rate :(

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 am

Haha! I can't even recall starting this thread! Wow, has it been that long?

I've since published books 2 and 3 plus a couple of short stories and I'm close to putting book 4 out! :D

Martyn