Magic & Power

A free-form writing forum set in the Star Wars Universe...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:22 am

Pa'ah went off toward the den/study, and Master Jerren seemed to be just wandering around the living area with a half-asleep look on his face, so Majyk decided to hit the bedroom. He knew that most people felt most at home in the bedroom, and that would probably be where the most evidence would be, or would have been, depending on how throrough the initial investiagtors had been.

In the bedroom he found the bed in total dissary, the Velgarian silk sheets were rumpled, half off the bed. On the floor was a pile of clothes, apparently the senator's discard clothes from the last night he had been alive. Majyk crouched and sifted through them with a pen-laser, and found nothing of interest. Just as he was about to stand, though, he caught sight of something that the senator (hopefully) had not been wearing: A lacy, sheer nightie, black. Majyk scooped it up with his pen-laser, careful not to touch it with his hands, and examined it. The garment sported some tears at the seams, as if it had been pawed at, or removed from the weared with force.

"Majyk. Come look at this." Pa'ah's voice issued from the other side of the apartment, hushed, but loud enough for Majyk to hear it. He carried the garment gingerly across the apartment, to see what Pa'ah wanted. When Pa'ah saw the lacy thing dangling from Majyk's pen-laser, he actually smiled and said, "I don't think that'll fit you, Majyk."

Majyk shrugged and looked at it, "Yeah, but it wouldn't fit Alexis Jandoriss either. This thing is a size two, and she wears at least a five." He caught sight of Pa'ah's quesitoning look, and said, "I've always had an eye for fashion, Pa'ah. Helps with the ladies when you buy them something that actually fits. Cops that were here probably didn't think to compare this against the clothes in the closets, and therefore didn't consider it evidence. At any rate, it looks like the senator had a good time before he was whacked." He let the nightie slide off the end of his pen-laser, and knelt to examine the medallion Pa'ah had found. Master Jerren stood behind them, looking down at it too.

"What kind of beast is this?" Majyk asked, rhetorically.

The Jedi didn't take it as such, though, and said, "That's a rancor. Or at least, a bad rendition of one."

Majyk shrugged, "Well, as low an opinon of the cops as I've got, there's no way this escaped their attention. They either left it here on purpose, or it was planted afterward. What could that mean?"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:16 am

Pa'ah looked at the nightie, noting the same rips that Majyk had seen. "Either the senator is a more energetic bedmate then I would imagine or... rape?" Pa'ah rubbed his chin at the thought. It could definitely put a new spin on the senator's death.

"What if his killing has nothing to do with the Jedi, but was simply revenge designed to look like it was done for other reasons? And do you think that this medallion was left by the killer, or do you think it was... left for us to find?" Pa'ah's eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 am

Majyk shook his head at Pa'ah's mention of rape. Rape wasn't about sex, it was about power, and wanting to prove one's power over another. He couldn't begin to imagine anyone that had access to a lightsaber being in a powerless position.

"I don't know if it was left specifically for us to find, but it was definitely planted here for someone to find."

Master Jerren, looking over these objects said, "There is a link between the items, I sense it."

Majyk nodded and said, sarcastically, "Yeah, thanks. So, we've got a nightie, and a medallion with a rancor on it, and a senator with a lightsaber wound to the chest." Majyk scratched his head, trying to peice it all together. "Yeah, revenge is an option, but my gut tells me we're just not seeing the whole picture yet."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Pa'ah didn't discount the idea of rape and revenge. Not that the person who was raped had avenged herself, but some kinsmen of the victim could have easily been behind it.

But, given the likiness of other motives, revenge might have been a lesser possibility. Unless....

"So what if our Alexis found out the senator was sleeping around... Maybe even caught them in the act? That would certainly be a motive for murder. If she had access to someone who could use a lightsaber, she uses that, then hires us complete her framing of the Jedi... Of course, there's still the question of how our rogue Jedi factors into this..."

He fell silent in thought, glancing at the Jedi and his partner.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Majyk shook his head, "No... that would explain the lightsaber wounds and the nightie... but what about this medallion? As our collaborator here said, I sense that these things are all connected." He cast his glance across the rest of the room, and his eyes rested on the computer terminal. "Well, lets take a look at the good senator's computer."

He took a seat at the desk and activated the terminal. he accessed its internal files, and saw that the computer had recently been used to access a popular holonet mail account. Though he didn't have the equipment he needed to crack into his account on hand, he had enough know-how to get the man's address, and check his browsing habits.

"The senator, or at least someone with constant access to this computer, checked their mail about fifteen times the night of the senator's death. That sounds like someone waiting for a reply to something. Wait, what's this?" He tapped a few more keys and and said, "This computer was used just yesterday..."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:25 pm

"Ah, yes." Majyk and Pa'ah Wer both looked up at the Jedi Master as the man suddenly spoke out. "There was a struggle in this place, very recently. I thought I sense the aggression, but just assumed it was Pa'ah, at first." The Jedi master smiled slyly, "It was in this very room. My senses caught it the moment you turned on that computer, Majyk. I'd say that one of the combatants was the one using that computer. Which means that the struggle may well have been yesterday."

Majyk didn't know what to say to all that, so he simply grunted and went back to the computer, now cursing the fact that he had not brought his slicing equipment with him. Slicing into personal computers was generall an easy task, unless the owner was any crack at slicing himself. Judging from the state of this computer, the senator had not been. Majyk decided to do the next best thing, and began dismantling the computer completely. "I'll just take the physical memory with us, and I can look at it better tomorrow."

They spent a few more minutes looking over the apartment, but nothing more presented itself. With nightie, medallion and computer parts craftily hidden, the trio left. Majyk was sure to drop a hefty tip with the doorman, to better facilitate his loss of memory.

Majyk checked his chronometer as they arrived back at the office, gratified to see that his estimate had been about right; They had only been gone for two hours, give or take a few minutes. He hoped that Charisma was still asleep.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Stealing evidance from the scene of a crime did not sit well with Pa'ah's rather strong conscience, but he made no noise of protest. It was for a good cause, he told himself, and if it led to the conviction of a criminal in a more expedient manner, then it would be justified. He hoped.

They arrived back at the office without mishap, which was a relief to Pa'ah. While Majyk went to check on their unwelcomed (in Pa'ah's mind) guest, the man sat himself down on one of the lounge couchs, eyeing the Jedi idly.

Whatever the Jedi had done to Charisma, he had obviously done it effectively, because the girl was still out cold. It did appear that she had shifted in her sleep, or perhaps had awaken only to fall back a sleep. Either way, Charisma looked quite comfortably intwained with the sheets of the bed, and born a peaceful expression of repose on her beautiful face.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:48 am

Majyk spent a moment sitting at the edge of the bed with Charisma, smiling down at her peaceful face. He had to admit, this would-be assassin was lovely. It was hard to see her as a hard-nosed assassin that would kill when ordered. But then again, Zura had been the same way, until she drew her katana.

Once he was satisfied she was alright, he filled a glass with some water and sat it next to the bed. She'd probably be quite thirsty when she finaly woke up. As an afterthought, he also placed two anti-hangover capsules beside the glass. From here, he went to his computer terminal, where Pa'ah and Master Jerren were waiting.

"Alright, lets see what we can find here..." Majyk muttered as he hooked the senator's computer up to his own, also applying connectors to a number of other peices of equipment. He worked on the computer asiduously for about an hour, ignoring Pa'ah's impatient grumblings.

His skills as a slicer were good enough to get by, but not as good as they could have been. He was able to get some information, but some of the encryptions escaped his skill altogether. The information he had found was enough though. Once he had learned what he could, he turned to address Pa'ah and the Jedi.

"Well, it looks like whoever used this computer yesterday was using it to send a transmission. Guess where?" He held up the datadisk that had been slipped to them the previous morning, with a significant look on his face. "Whoever it was that was trying to kill me yesterday was doing it from just a few blocks away, using the senator's computer to transmit the messages and detonation keys."

Majyk turned back to his terminal and continued, "That's not all... the night of the senator's murder, there had been a transmission sent from his computer along secure lines. I can't crack the code on the message, but I do have a telemetry on the message. It definitely went off-planet, and was received just moments after being sent, which means that the receiver was somewhere in orbit around Coruscant."

Majyk swiveled his seat around to look at the others with a thoughtful cast to his eyes. "So, we have a transmission the night of the senator's death, well encrypted. Another one yesterday, not encrypted at all. I'd say the work of two different people. My guess is that the realy murderer sent the first message... and someone else who's been looking into it sent the transmission yesterday. Master Jerren mentioned a quarrel in the apartment. Maybe the murderer returned to the scene of the crime, and tusseled with our shadow-man. If that's the case, I'm surprised we didn't find another dead body there..."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:09 am

"I don't know why the murderer would want to use the scene of a crime to do something he could easily do somewhere else." Pa'ah spoke uneasily. In truth, he was very bothered about this intrusion on the crime scene. Mostly because it should have been guarded by someone. At least a sentry drone, or something, and yet there had been nothing.

It was at that point that Charisma appeared at the door, perhaps released from her artificially induced sleep by the Jedi. She stood still in the doorway for a moment, her hair tossled and disorderly, her usual smile absent. She had the look of someone who knew she had been tricked. And she did know something had happened, because she had been feigning most of the tipsiness before she had suddenly blacked out.

"I would very much like my blaster back." She spoke levelly, looking around the room Pa'ah smirked at him, taking a great deal of satisfaction in seeing her knocked down a few notches.

He scooped the blaster off the table and threw it to her, which she caught and reholstered up her dress.

"It was very rude of you to offer me tainted wine, Majyk." Anger burned in her crystal blue eyes as she spoke, and then she started for the door without another word.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:45 am

Majyk shot Pa'ah a scowl of his own, though his own scowls were nothing compared to his partners. Sort of like returning fire from a turbolaser with a slingshot. "Charisma, wait." He sprinted to the door and interposed himself between it and her. "The wine wasn't tainted. The Jedi did some kind of mind trick thing on you. I didn't know what he was going to do until you were already out. I'll admit, I was hoping to get you drunk so I could get some work done without you watching over my shoulder, but I promise the wine was not drugged. Take it and test it, if you like."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:57 am

Charisma was silent for a moment, simply staring up into Majyk's eyes with a flame still burning in her eyes. It was not all anger, however, but a mixture of other emotions tried to escape from inside her.

"Well, maybe next time you'll remember that I'm paid to keep you alive. If my employer ever finds out about this, I doubt I'll live along enough to regret it. Now kindly stand aside."

From behind her, Pa'ah crossed his arm, shaking his head lightly to himself. "Maybe now would be a good time to tell us about your employer."

Charisma's eyes did not waver from Majyk. "Please move." She spoke in a low voice.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Majyk took a step toward her, keeping his eyes on hers. An accomplishment, he thought, given the intensity of her gaze. "Your employer wont find out about it. In fact... if you want to know what we did during your downtime, I'll tell you. So you have something to report back with."

He stepped aside, unblocking her path from the door. "But before you go... I've worked for someone who repayed failure with death. I'm beginning to get the idea that you are employed by the same guy. If that's the case, then you need to think about what your willing to live with. I didn't, years ago... and now I have to live with myself. It ain't easy."

With that, he simply left her at the door, and took his seat at the desk, returning his attention to the case.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 pm

Charisma stood still in the doorway for a moment, her back to all of them as she stared at nothing on the ground. The seconds dragged by until eventually she moved out the door without looking back.

Pa'ah shook his head at his partner. "You always did have a soft spot for blondes. We probably could have squeezed her for information without too much trouble. I doubt we'll get that chance again. Somehow, I doubt we'll even see her again. Good riddance, though."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:38 pm

Majyk shook his head, staring at the computer screen. "Oh, we'll see her again. I have a hunch that she's working for my old employer, the one that tried to blow me up yesterday. He mentioned an assassin he hired to keep the others off my butt. If I'm right, then Charisma's orders to keep me alive have already been rescinded."

"Anyway, getting back to our case. It seems to me that the local security boys barely glossed over their investigation. That tells me that they were either paid off, or warned off by someone real powerful. Whoever used this computer yesterday must have thought that using this computer would keep him from being tracked wihtout having to trust an outside slicer. Ah..." Majyk struck a few keys and smiled.

"My decrypter was strong enough to give me a registration on the receiver of the outbound message. A vessel called Witchhunt. Let's see if they're still around." He struck a few more keys and was rewarded with a public manifest list of ships. "The Witchhunt is still there. Looks like they're awaiting clearance to join spacelanes." He looked up at Pa'ah, with a thoughtful glance. "Suggestions?"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:16 pm

"Well, I suppose there's the old fashioned idea of storming the ship and seeing what we can find." Pa'ah gave a shrug. He was itching for some action anyways, though he didn't know how prudent it would be to do so. Still, they did have Jedi with them, which would probably come in handy in a fight.

"Though if you're right about Charisma not having orders to protect us, I think letting her go was a big mistake. What if she decides to frag us and take the bounty herself?"

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:05 am

Majyk responded to Pa'ah question about Charisma with a level gaze and said, "Then we'll kill her. But I don't think it'll come to that, Pa'ah... I think she has more interest in us than she lets on." He stood and went to his munitions locker, where he retreived his DL-44 (Ole' Fatihful, he had dubbed it). He rarely carried the obvious weapon, preferring the smaller holdout versions that could slipped into a boot, or carried in a pocket, but the situation seemed to demand it. With this, he gathered his usual layout of small explosives electronic tools, putting them in the various pockets of his suit. All of his clothes were chosen for both fashion as well as usefullness, and Majyk rarely wore a suit that didn't have at least ten pockets spread out across the whole of it.

"Alright, Witchhunt is still at spaceport. I reckon we could catch a ferry up there, and see if we can't get on the ship. Hopefully, it wont come down to storming it, but if it does..." He patted Ole Faithful meaningfully.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:24 am

Pa'ah didn't share his partner's optimism about Charisma. If she decided to kill them, they'd probably both be dead before they even realized she was around. He couldn't help but think of the way she had first appeared seemingly out of no where, and later how she had managed to lose herself in the crowd with such ease. If she was that good at hiding and she was obviously a good shot...

But there was nothing to be done about it now, except for watching their backs.

Pa'ah already had his weapon with him, so with a glance at the Jedi, he gestured towards the door. "I guess we'd better step on it if we're going to make it before it departs."

They piled into the speeder, and Pa'ah shot off into Courscant traffic, using his usual "duck and weave" maneuvers to get them where they needed to be. Throughout the whole trip, he kept his eyes peeled for Charisma's swoop, but there were a lot of swoops in Courscant, so it was really a futile gesture.

A short time later, Pa'ah set the speeder down in the spaceport, and they moved out on foot.

They found the Witchhunt berthed in Dock 345-9. It was a transport of a make Pa'ah had never seen before, but that was hardly surprising. The ramp was up as if they were preparing for take off, but there was no hum of powering generators, so they must not have been planning on leaving any time too soon.

"Well, you want to go knock?" Pa'ah shot Majyk a sidelong glance.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:34 am

Majyk smile mischeivously and said "Nope. I'm going to let my buddy TiBiT do the knocking." TiBIT was an acronym for Tight Beam Infrared Transmitter, and it was handy for forging trasmissions. Majyk had made a habit of recording a number of official transmissions for uses just like this. He scrolled through the list of recordings, chose the one most appropriate, painted the sensor array of the Witchhunt with it, and pressed send. Though there was no sound that issed from the TiBIT, Majyk knew that at this moment, those inside would be receiving an urgent message from the docking authority. The message he chose was one that urgently requested those inside to report to the sector 28 medical lab for decontamination protocol.

The Jedi in the back seat looked up suddenly and pronounced, "I feel a strong presence in the force on that ship. Shrouded by darkness..."

Majyk was reminded of what Master Yoda had said about the the dark side clouding everything. He didn't know what either of them meant by it, but it didn't sound good at all. After a moment, the ramp lowered and a woman stepped down out of the ship, striding toward the docking authority offices with a scowl on her face.

The woman was dressed in dark violets and reds, all mixed together. She wore a split skirt that was tied off at the thighs to make pants of a sort, and a billowy red blouse that did nothing to hide her figure, which was very attractive. Her hair, though, was wild and bushy, and her face was marred by angry purple veins spreading like spiderwebs across her face. She looked human, but also.. not. Majyk had never seen such a thing before. Master Jerren reiterated, "The darkness has past. The presence I felt was fleeting, and seems to be gone now... more than likely masked." Again, Majyk was unsure of what the Jedi was trying to say, but he accepted it as important, at least to the Jedi.

As the woman passed out of sight, Majyk jumped out of the speeder and began heading toward the vessel. "I reckon we've got fifteen minutes, tops. Come on."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:05 am

"I don't think I'd want to get on the bad side of her." Pa'ah muttered with a shake of his head. Drawing his blaster, he led the group intrepidly across the docking bay and up the ramp.

It was like stepping into a tomb or something.

A sort of chill came over Pa'ah, and he could tell that the others felt it too. There was this unmistakeable sense of... evil. That was the only way Pa'ah could think of describing it. It was like an aura of anger, hatred, and sadism clung to the very walls, though Pa'ah wasn't even entirely sure how he was aware of this.

"Let's just do our job quick and get out of here, hm? This place gives me the creeps." He commented, prompting a nod from Majyk, who started towards the cockpit.

Content to let his friend deal with the computers, Pa'ah decided to check out the rear of the ship.

The cargo hold had been converted into a storage room, full of shelves that were inturn full of.. just about everything. Explosives, weapons, ammo, zip lines, breaking and entry tools. This woman was apparently accustomed to being able to handle any situation.

"Help me! Please!" The melodic voice was not loud, but it was certainly enough to startle Pa'ajh, almost to the point of shooting. He spun with blaster in hand, dropping to one knee into a firing position.

The source of the voice was some sort of winged reptile thing, probably about four feet tall, that was crammed into a cage that could just barely hold it.

"What the hell are you?" Pa'ah asked in consternation.

"I'm a prisoner! Please let me out of this cage!" The thing spoke again in it's (His? Her?) highly melodic voice.

"Hey, Majyk, come back here a second." He called out to his partner, never taking his eyes off of the winged thing.

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:42 am

Majyk lingered in the storage area for a moment as Pa'ah and the Jedi spread out into the ship. He spied several peices of equipment that he had often looked at with great longing. Indeed, caasting a glance toward the other two to make sure he was out of eye sight, he slipped a few items into his many pockets.

From there Majyk went straight for the cockpit. He smiled, noting that the woman had left in such haste that she had left her terminal on. From his pocket he produced a code sniffer and placed it against the terminal's interface unit, the magnetic seal snapping it tight as it began it's work. A moment later, Majyk was rewarded with what he was seeking: the memory banks of the woman's navicomp. Knowing where one has been was almost as valuable as knowing where they would be. He was just preparing to work on the ship's communication's records when he heard Pa'ah's voice issue from the back. He hesitated long enough to remove the code-sniffer and plant a small recorder bug under a bank of computers.

He rushed back to the engineering compartment and stopped short upon seeing the winged thing in the cage. "Whoa! What the hell is that?"

Master Jerren was covered in the cold chill of the dark side. The dark side was very strong on this vessel. He spent his time, even ignoring Pa'ah's call from the engine room, in the lounge, examining the force and learning what he could of this darkness. It would have to be confronted, of course, this kind of corruption only led to misery, and suffering of the innocent.

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:49 am

"I told you, I'm a prisoner!" The lizard reaffirmed thrashing its wings in excitement. "Please let me out of here! The woman is mad! I don't want to be here when she gets back!"

Pa'ah eyed it skeptically, then turned to look at Majyk. "What do you think? My first inclination is things that are in cages are usually in cages for a reason, talking or not. Maybe we ought to leave well enough alone."

'No! No! You can't leave me here!" The reptilean thing gave off a howl that sounded more like a musical whistle. "Please, I'll help you, I'll do whatever you wish, I just got to get away from here!"

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:38 am

Majyk watched the strange creature for a long moment, with a mixture of wonder and disgust. He doubted it was a spy, for a number of reasons, the fact that he was caged was cheif among them. Finally he said, "Alright, we'll take him with us. But keep him in that cage for now. He held up a chip for Pa'ah's inspection and said "We've got her navicomp downloaded. I'm going to check the comp-"

"She's returning!" Master Jerren's voice issued from the lounge. "I sense it. We must leave at once."

"Damn..." Majyk muttered, "Expected her to be gone longer. Let's go."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:22 am

The cage was amazingly light, Pa'ah discovered. The creature within must have wieghed less then thirty pounds, which was surprising considering it's size. He wondered distantly how it could be so light, but settled with just being thankful instead.

Hoisting the cage up, Pa'ah followed Majyk out of the ship, and the trio (or quartet, counting their odd new acquisition) made a B-line for the speeder.

"I wonder how our witch is going to respond to having her thing stolen." Pa'ah wondered aloud as he loaded the cage into the back of the speeder.

"Don't you worry about that." The thing chirped musically. "She was in a big hurry to get somewhere, so I doubt she'll even notice."

Pa'ah grunted. Somehow he doubted that she was the unobservant type, but who knows.

He piloted the speeder back to office without incident, and parked speeder. The thing in the cage was chirping happily, sounding much like a merry, and exotic, bird.

Traversing the crowded confines of the office, he set the cage down in one corner before taking a seat.

"What are you hoping to find on the navcomputer?"

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:31 am

Majyk shrugged and plugged the chip into his terminal, accessing the information. "She receieved information from the senator's home, and this will tell us where she came from, or at least, where she's been. Here we go..." The computer began to scroll various coordinates across the screen, and Majyk plugged these into the star charting program had. Majyk stroked his chin for a moment, looking over the results. "Looks like our lady likes visiting remote planets. Most of these planets only bear numbers, rather than names, which means they've not been explored at all."

He highlighted the three most commonly visited coordinates, and found that two of them were planets with no names, and a third appeared to be just some spot out in deep space. All three were in the Outer Rim, where no law held sway, but appeared to be well outside the Hutt's territory. "Well, if we can get our hands on a hyperdrive somewhere, we could go check these places out. I can't see any other leads... wait..." he turned and regarded the creature in the cage. He needed to deal with that thing anyway.

He carried the cage to his desk and sat down to address the creature. "Alright, we got you out of the woman's ship, so you must know a little something. Sing, and we'll talk about letting you out of the cage."

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:10 am

"I can sing, I'm a very good singer. What would you like me to sing?" The creature shifted excitedly, prompting a rather unsurprising frown from Pa'ah.

"He means talk. Tell us what you know about this woman and what she's been up to."

"Oh." The creature said, a little disappointed. Apparently it had been looking forward to singing. "She's not a good person. She's something called a Nightsister from some swampy planet. I don't know much about her, but I do know that she often visits a strange, strange man-thing in an old stone fortress on my home planet. She used to talk to this stange, strange man-thing about who they were going to kill, and about this revenge and that revenge."

The thing shook its head emphatically. "She's a bad person. Called... Luna. Maybe name, maybe not. I could take you to the fortress. I'm a very good guide."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Majyk looked at Pa'ah with raised eyebrows. "Looks like we hit the jackpot." He looked back at the creature in the cage, and said, "Two more questions. "One: Do you remember the name or names of the people they wanted to kill? Two: How did you come to be in Luna's 'care'?"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:28 pm

"Ehhhh..." The thing fluttered its wings as much as the cage would allow. "I remember hearing..." It's face scrunched up almost comically as it thought. "I'm a very good hearer." He (for, in all fairness, it was a more of a he then an it) said eventually. "I remember hearing about a man called... 'Jedae'? Ooo, man-thing hated Jedae badly, but I think he was a bit scared of Jedae too. He always talked about being careful and hiding, and killing and revenge."

Again he gave a shake of his head in an exagerated fashion. "Wait... another one the man-thing hated... Ehhh... Sindedor? Sindedor Jarniss... I think... Only said his name a few times, but said something about him owing the man-thing something. Something big, I think. As for how she-devil got me..."

The lizard looked around with an air of embarassment. "Maybe three moons ago, I see a flash in the edge of the jungle where I lives. I think maybe it lightning, I go to look. There's this big spaceship there. Luna's ship, I find later. But I go inside to look. I thought maybe someone need help or something..."

He gave a hapless shrug. "Next thing I know, I have a chain around my neck and she starts calling me 'Skinbag'. She said she was going to make a purse out of me." A little hmrph noise came from his throat.

"Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me." Pa'ah commented, though it was, perhaps, a shade more light hearted then usual. At least the little squeak toy had some useful information.

"So you think that our dear senator owed this Jedi something he couldn't pay? And if so, what?"

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:11 pm

Majyk had, at one time, served a sentence in a prison cell. He hadn't stayed long, but it had been long enough for him to know he never wanted to be caged again. Since then, he had carried a deep sympathy for caged things in general.

"Don't make me regret this." Majyk said as he sliced the lock off the cage with his pen-laser. "And, do you have a name, or should I call you 'Skinbag'?"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:50 pm

The creature emitted a happy squeal, and immediately took to the air as the cage was opened. It flapped its leathery wings several times, then maintained itself at a comfortable hover with it's feet about a meter off the ground.

"My name is," the creature emitted a series of whistles and chirps. "For some reason, most people can't pronounce that. So usually I just go by Vekyl when dealing with you people-types. I am very grateful for flying again, though would still prefer not to be called 'Skinbag'."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Majyk just nodded at Vekyl's statement and turned his attention to Pa'ah. "We have a lot more to go on now than we did before... this doesn't smell, to me, like a money thing. Too eleaborate, for the kind of money that senator's make. Well then again... maybe it has to do with Alexis' money... I don't know. I think we might have enough now to clear her of the charges, but I don't know how willing to listen authorities will be without more. After all, it looks like they've already been paid to look the other way. "

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:49 pm

"I hope you're not seriously considering storming the castle, Majyk. Because I don't know what good the three of us could do, and we certainly don't stand a chance against that guy. He's been one step ahead of us all game so far."

Vekyl chimed in at this point. "Castle is a very bad place. Full of unsleeping eyes that see in the dark. I can take you there, I'm a very good guide, but maybe you get captured once you get there." The bat like wings of his beat in time to the cadence of his speech, a fact that Pa'ah couldn't help but notice.

The Jedi suddenly perked up, his hand moving towards his lightsaber, but before he could get it there, the sound of a high powered rifle was heard, followed by a thump against the front door.

Pa'ah drew his blaster with record speed and crouched low as me moved towards the door way. Reaching up, he triggered open the door, causing a casually dressed man to fall inwards, a hole in his head. In the man's hands was a blaster carbine that he must have intended to use on them.

Pa'ah leaned around the corner, then his body visibly relaxed a touch. He could see Charisma standing a good fifty meters away, a rifle in her hands. With one hand she gave a salute in Pa'ah's direction, then pivoted and headed towards her swoop.

"It's that Charisma girl again." Pa'ah commented darkly. "It looks like she's still on the job to pick people off our back..."

Merlin
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:55 am

Majyk watched as Charisma mounted her swoop and took off hurriedly. "Yeah... this is getting serious. Well, at least this guy had his blaster in hand, I suppose we should let the local boys deal with this." Majyk looked up at Master Jerren, "We didn't see Charisma shoot this guy, did we?"

Master Jerren met Majyk's eyes and replied "I cannot deceive the authorities in this matter. However, I did not see her directly, and I can attempt to keep the investigators from asking the appropriate questions. I must admit to you, Majyk, I do not like this."

"Yeah, well, thanks. But the less involvement we get from the local authorities here, the better." He patted down the body and found no sort of ID. "Alright, lets call them in."

An hour later, the local security had been and gone, taking the body with them. They had each been questioned, but true to his word, Master Jerren had done some hand-waving, and the security fellows had only asked very general questions, and had accepted their story of self defense. They had accepted Pa'ah's marksmanship without reservation.

Alone once more, Majyk addressed Pa'ah's original concern. "No, I don't think we'll storm the castle, but maybe we can find out some information from the locals, if there are any. Unless you have a better idea?"

Xalsin

Post by Xalsin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:41 am

Pa'ah gave a small sigh. "No. I don't. But I'd still rather go with a bit more backup then we've got. Besides, what if this planet's basically uninhabited except for this guy? There's a lot we don't know about the situation, and that always makes me nervous."

Vekyl, having been left alone since the appearance of the gunman, was currently involved with fullfilling his curiosity in the other room. This entailed opening any container with hinges to see what was inside, pushing every button he could find to see what it did, and sniffing every object left around. He tried to put everything back as he found it, but found he could not always remember exactly how things had been.

Then he spotted a circular disk of metal laying on the counter. Flapping over to it, Vekyl gave it a good sniff. It smelled strongly of the ladywitch. Vekyl gave a loud squeak of disgust, dropping the medallion noisely and flapping to a different part of the room, where he promptly forgot it in favor of the food synth unit, which had a myriad of buttons that needed pressing...