Puck, take II

A free-form writing forum set in the Star Wars Universe...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

JerinPuck
Quite incapable of drinking coffee

Puck, take II

Post by JerinPuck » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:42 pm

Jerin Puck did not like her new co-pilot. This was not surprising as Jerin had the reputation of being the only pilot of Nar Shaddaa Shipping Co. to go through co-pilots more quickly than spare parts. Part of this was because she took very good care of her ship, and the other part was that Jerin did not go so much as a centimeter out of her way to make herself likeable. For example, at this very moment, she is yelling at her copilot.

“Damn it, Ry! What part of ‘wait for my mark’ do you not understand?” Jerin brought a hand her forehead, which had just had an unfortunate encounter with an overhead console. She could already feel a bump forming there, which did wonders for her mood. “If those thrusters burn out…” she threatened.

They burned out. A bad thing in any situation, but particularly when one is trying to slow their ship’s descent to a planet, which happened to be the very situation Jerin and Ry were in.

“Shavvit. Strap in!” Jerin commanded Ry, who was gazing out of the screen in horror as they plummeted downward.

“What’s the point? We’re going to die!”

“Fine.”

The ship inverted, and Ry tumbled onto what had served as the ceiling just moments before with a satisfying thud. It was shortly followed by an “Ow.”

Jerin glanced at the heap of Ry on the ceiling. “Shut up,” she told it as she flicked her transmitter on. “Base, this is cargo ship 48 from NdoubleSC. Coming in without lower thrusters, I need exact landing coordinates ASAP, and all of your people to clear off my landing pad.”

“Base to 48. You can’t come in without lower thrusters!”

“Hide and watch. And send me those coordinates!” Jerin’s hands flew across the consoles, and the ship spun so that it was now falling on edge. Ry slid to far wall.

“Here are your coordinates,” a reluctant voice broke through the static, “but-”

“Thanks. See you planet-side.” Jerin flipped the transmitter with her thumb, and did her best to line her ship up with her landing site.

Ry tried to scramble to his seat as Jerin put the ship into a controlled spin. “What the frell are you doing? You’re going to kill us!” he accused, clinging to the back of his chair.

“Let’s see. Who was it that engaged the lower thrusters too early and burned them out? Yep, that would be you. And didn’t I tell you to stuff it?” Jerin eyed the ground. “You might want to hang on.” She brought the ship out of its spin and deactivated the top, back thrusters so that the ship was now coming in vertically, back end first. Ry’s legs dangled out of the cockpit and into the corridor, but he did not fall. Jerin engaged the rear thruster, and for a moment the ship hovered perfectly balanced a few meters above the landing pad. Then, a quick burst of the top thrusters, a release of the landing gear, and a painful crunching noise later, cargo ship 48 was safely on the ground. "That's going to leave a mark," Jerin muttered.
I want to live. I want to experience the universe, and I want to eat pie. - Urgo

Master_Cameo_Naton
Just a Rogue...

Post by Master_Cameo_Naton » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:05 am

(ooc : Hey, look! It's Jerin! ;))
Exile from the Exodus... Space Patrol... forever.

JerinPuck

Post by JerinPuck » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:24 am

ooc: Yes. Yes, it is. :) And woozles.
I want to live. I want to experience the universe, and I want to eat pie. - Urgo

High Moff Betts

Post by High Moff Betts » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:11 pm

ooc: Jerin, we love you.

its so much easier than saying wozzels
"Tucker, there's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day." -Church. Red vs. Blue.

‘I swear by my pretty florid bonnet I will end you’ –Mal. Firefly.

JerinPuck

Post by JerinPuck » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:51 pm

ooc: Aw. It's good to be loved. :oops: ;)

ic:
Jerin unstrapped and spun her chair around. “You,” she jabbed her finger at Ry, “are lucky to be alive.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” Ry said slowly getting to his feet. Various joints cracked as he did so, Ry winced and rubbed his neck. “I should have listened to you about the thrusters.”

“Yeah,” Jerin said, nodding imperceptibly. Then she sighed. “Look, we can’t go anywhere til those get fixed, and we’re due back yet today, so get on them, alright?”

“Going.” Ry strode out of the cockpit, and Jerin followed, hitting the cargo bay door releases as she went. She grabbed her clipboard by the entrance ramp and was blasted by harsh, dry heat as she got out. A few personnel on the landing pad greeted her with applause and some scattered whistles. Jerin gave them a half-smile and a wave, then ducked into the main office which was mercifully cooler than out of doors.

It was dim inside, and no one was behind the desk. An old cooling unit and a beverage machine contributed two different intense high frequency hums into the atmosphere. Jerin winced at the sound; the bump on her forehead protested. Deciding she’d use a drink for a cold pack, Jerin pushed a few coins into the machine’s slot, and punched the button for the least foreign looking product. She might want to drink it later, after all, and pepper-juice and the like were not Jerin’s idea of “refreshing.” Nothing happened. Jerin pushed the button a few more times, smacked the side of the machine with her hand, shook it, and finally- after taking another glance around- gave it a good swift kick. Two cans fell out on to the floor.

When the owner, Ellard, came in, Jerin was slouched comfortably in a chair in front of his desk. Taking the can down from her forehead, Jerin said “The clipboard is on your desk. And your machine gave me two for one.” She indicated the second drink on the desktop. Ellard grinned, revealing a mostly toothless smile.

“Your lucky day!” He tapped his nose conspiratorially. “That was some fancy flying you did there, girl.” Ellard’s calling Jerin “girl” didn’t bother her, owing to the fact that he appeared to be old enough to be her great grandfather, give or take a decade. He signed the clipboard, and passed it back to Jerin.

“Well, you know. People can’t go without their-” Jerin glanced down at the cargo manifest, “soap, and topsoil. Wait. I went through that for dirt and dirt remover?”

“Well,” Ellard eased himself into his own squeaky chair. “The town types around here have taken it to their head that they should start gardens, but the dirt around here,” he flicked a sample out from underneath one of his fingernails, “isn’t very good for growing things. They’re all worked up about food rationing, with the war on and all.”

“Right. The war.” Jerin said, flatly. She glanced up at the clock on the wall. It read 1424, and had for the past three years. “I’m running late, Ellard. I gotta’ go.”

“Good to see you, Jerin.”

“Bye,” said Jerin, and the old man waved as the door fell shut behind her.

Darth_Kuangduk
Devil Duck

Post by Darth_Kuangduk » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:32 pm

OOC:

Excellent writing, kiddo. Keep it going... or join SP. Either way. :)

Oh, and....

Woozles. ;)
"Ah, my lord, is that... legal?"
"I will make it legal."

JerinPuck

Post by JerinPuck » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:41 pm

ooc: Thank, Mark. :) I plan to keep this thread going. (Which means it'll probably die in a few weeks, but whatever.) SP moves waaaaay too fast for me, though have fun! We'll be watching your career with great interest. Or something. Yeah.

Also, download AIM or something. :P

JerinPuck

Post by JerinPuck » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:30 pm

“Stelton!” Jerin let herself in to the company office on Nar Shaddaa with her usual clamor. “Stelton!” Stelton, company owner, manager, and a host of other titles, appeared from a side room with annoyed look on his face. Jerin was not deterred. “Stelton, Ry can’t be my copilot. I mean, he almost got the ship wrecked. You gotta’ reassign him.”

“Puck,” Stelton began in an exasperated voice. “Ry’s not your copilot anymore. He came in before you and practically begged to be reassigned.”

“Problem settled then,” Jerin said happily, then gave Stelton and appraising look. Maybe today would be the day. “You know, we’ve talked about this before- I don’t really need a copilot. How about letting me go solo?”

“You’re right, Puck. We have talked about this before, and you’re not going to fly without a copilot,” Jerin opened her mouth to protest, but Stelton raised his hand and his voice. “Regardless of flying ability, everyone who works for me will have a copilot. Got it?”

“Yeah,” Jerin replied, dully. “So. Who’s with me now?”

“New guy by the name of Kursku.”

“Kursku? Sounds-”

“Bothan. Yes, he is. And please try not to scare him off in the first week like the last seven.”

“Eight,” Jerin corrected him. “The last eight.” She suppressed a grin and scratched her nose innocently.

Stelton glared at her. “Puck, if you didn’t fly every bit as good as you talk, I’d have fired your ass months ago.”

“Go for it,” Jerin dared, jokingly. “It’s not like I need that bit to pilot, anyway.”

“You do if you fly by the seat of your pants,” Stelton retorted.

“Touché.”

Stelton gave Jerin a triumphant look, but then his gaze shirted over her shoulder. “Ah, Kursku. Come in, you’re right on time.” A young Bothan, maybe 15 centimeters shy of Jerin’s height, moved hesitantly from the doorway into the office. “Kursku, this is Puck. She’s the pilot of the ship you’ll be copiloting, cargo ship 48.”

“Hello,” Kurku greeted Jerin. They shook hands.

Jerin examined her new copilot for a moment. “I knew a Bothan who turned into a human, once,” she told him, mysteriously. Then she turned on her heel and walked resolutely out the door.

Stelton shook his head. “I should have warned you. Puck can be… difficult to get along with at times.” But to Stelton’s surprise (and probably Jerin’s, had she been there,) Kursku just gave a good natured chuckle.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. “I have a feeling that she and I will get along just fine.”