Payback: The RBR Returns

A free-form writing forum set in the Star Wars Universe...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:32 am

Sean was thumbing the concussion missile trigger in the cockpit of his fighter when the broadcast came across on all channels.

"Hmm..." he muttered, before the station control voice came on the comm.

"All vessels, break off attack. I repeat, break off attack."

Sean skimmed the port side of the Davenport, heading for the new ship, but at the same time keeping his fingers well away from the triggers.

He caught a bit of a transmission, deflected somewhat by the radiation in the glow of the Imperator's engines.

"Imperator, this is the HMS Hesperus of the Royal Navy. This is a restricted sector, but we'll believe your story for now. We're powering down our shields and weapons as well. You're clear for now; on behalf of the Prime Minister we'd like to welcome you to New Liverpool, and clearance has been granted for your ship to dock at the Naval Yards."

Sean sighed. No action, but there was nothing in killing someone who was not an enemy. He turned around, and headed for the station when suddenly the great bulk of the Ark Royal interposed itself between the two.
That's no tank!
"t all has to show impeccable logic and unflawed realism, even if it deals with a different galaxy and an era 3,000 years in the past or the future." - George Lucas

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 am

"Royal Navy, huh?" Howe turned to his XO as the Imperator headed towards the Naval Yards and prepared to dock. "Our communication equipment working?"

"Yes sir."

"Good. Incase these guys try something I want Ogriand to know just who took Muir Corporations newest ship killer. I want two MCMS commandos to come with me. Normal outfitting."

Minutes later, he was walking down the boarding ramp, two MCMS commandos with him. Each wore Medium Trooper armor, and carried the Thunderstryke Gauss rifle. A SoroSuub S-5 was at their waist, disruptor pistol attached to their boots.
Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal

After the freedom of Spyrta soon won, Shinobi, Ronin, Samurai, and Orochi will clash under waning moon and rising sun

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:22 pm

A shuttle was waiting at the satellite dock that serviced the Ark Royal. John and several high-ranking Intel officers jumped on board as it left for the station proper.

"What the hell is a Strike Cruiser doing here?" he asked, of no one in particular.

"I don't know," answered the pilot, "Something about Muir Corporation, I heard."

"Muir? I've heard that name before," said John, not knowing if he was telling the truth.

At the Naval Yards, a squad of marines met the captain of the vessel, and graciously permitted the commandoes to keep their weapons.

"This way, please," said Lieutenant Shaw, "The Prime Minister would like to meet you in his office."

Marching in a ceremonial fashion, the marines directed the three men to Clark's station office, one far more Spartan than the one planetside.

Sean missed the second shuttle to the station, having finally gone through the tricky process of bringing the Harrier into the Ark Royal's rear hangar entrance, assisted as he was by multiple tractor beams. He had hurried to the bridge, but the shuttle had left, leaving him stranded for another few minutes.

John reached the balcony overlooking the open area, at the end of which was Alex Clark's office. His instructions were clear: if the commandoes try anything, pick 'em off first thing.

He saw the captain enter the Prime Minister's office. Now it was only time to wait.
That's no tank!
"t all has to show impeccable logic and unflawed realism, even if it deals with a different galaxy and an era 3,000 years in the past or the future." - George Lucas

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:35 pm

"Hello, my name is Captain Piere Howe of Muir Corporation. I believe you already know everything else from the transmission. Who are you, incidentally? The King? You need a King for a 'Royal' Navy."

After the freedom of Spyrta soon won, Shinobi, Ronin, Samurai, and Orochi will clash under waning moon and rising sun

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:22 pm

"King?" Clark snorted, "No, I'm Prime Minister Alex Clark of the Royal Britannic Republic. Yes, the name is a bit contradictory, but we do have a king, though not one with real power in the government. Really, I don't know why we even call ourselves a republic, as we obviously aren't one.

"I received a report indicating your ship was damaged in a hyperspace accident and wound up here. As you don't seem to be hostile, we can help you with repairs. Also, you said you're part of Muir Corporation? It doesn't surprise me, after all, pretty much every company is running around with a battle fleet these days. In any case, perhaps this could lead to something? Muir Corporation might be able to provide us with supplies we otherwise wouldn't have been able to obtain."
That's no tank!

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:48 pm

"Muir Corporation would be happy to provide you with supplies. We saw that battlecruiser or carrier that exited hyperspace before we docked. Tell me, what does your Republic need in the way of supplies?"

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:14 pm

"Well," Clark sighed, "We're currently at war with the Empire. Just about any offer is welcome. Primarily, we need ships right now, as we lost most of our fleet a few weeks ago."

"As I'm pretty sure I can trust you, perhaps I can show you our current vessels. We have four capital ships; the Davenport is the smallest, a River class destroyer, also we have the Miranda fast destroyers, the Hesperus and Scarborough, as well as our heavy carrier the HMS Ark Royal."
That's no tank!

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:20 pm

"Ark Royal? I guess that's the large ship then. Any of them would be fine. I just need to see what you are working with in order to see just how we can help. How big is each?" Howe leaned forward. This was a chance to learn something about other designs. It was also a chance to gain a possibly powerful ally or at least friend.

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:56 pm

"Well, I'm not an expert on the ships myself, but I can get someone who is," Clark said, picking up a comlink.

"Yes," he said, "I need an Intel officer sent down here."

Within minutes the door was opened, and Sean walked in. "Sir, you wanted to see me?"

"Yes, ah..."

"Lieutenant Grall, sir."

"Yes. Now, Lieutenant, could you explain about our naval vessels to Captain Howe?"

"Yes, sir. Well, we have three types of ships right now, the River class destroyer being the smallest. It's about a quarter-klick long, and has a battery of medium turbolasers, plus some lighter weapons for anti-fighter defence. Then we have the Minerva, which is 325 meters in length, aand has a bit more firepower than the River ships. Those were used for border patrol, generally.

"And last, we have the heavy carrier Ark Royal. Largest ship in the fleet right now, and decently armed, too. She's almost fourteen hundred meters long, and carries about two hundred and fifty Star Harrier fighters."
That's no tank!

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:25 pm

"Alright. Seems to me, I think we can help you out." Howe nodded slowly. "We can build you your own designs, or we can offer one of ours. Our designs are good. I can give you the holonet site. There'd be a cost, of course. Infact, it looks like you're going to need our help agaisnt the Empire. No offense to your ships and all, but the Impies aren't to be messed with on home turf. Here's what we'll do. Muir Corporation will give you one of your...River-class and one of our ships. We'll also give you twenty percent discount on any further purchases in the future. And we'll make you a premium customer so you can purchase some more high level items. We'd want the fighter design and the River design. We won't sell the fighter to anyone else. And, to ensure that Muir Corporation gets what it wants, and doesn't lose you to the Imps, we bring in our fleet to help you win whatever battles you need to. Sound fair?"

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:47 am

"That does indeed sound acceptable," Clark said, "though it's not exactly on their turf, per se. We're fighting to regain territory lost to them over the course of the last year, when they stepped up their offensive."

"Now," he continued, "You know how bureacracy and democracy work; it'll be a day or so to get Parliament to approve this deal, but I don't think it should be hard to get them to accept it. So... Muir Corporation gets licence-built River-class destroyers and the Star Harrier fighters, and you'll build for us another River and one of your own ships, as well as helping us against the Empire. I'll leave the selection of that ship to the Navy, it's their job, not mine."
That's no tank!

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:00 am

"Alright. Who can I speak to and give the holonet site to? Also, I'd like to see what these Imperials have to throw at us. Interdictors, Victories, Strikes, the exact breakdown makes a difference always."

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:24 am

Clark nodded at Sean. "Lieutenant, you get the site, and run it down to Admiral Redman. He should have something figured out in a few minutes."

As he left, the Prime Minister returned to Howe. "As for the enemy fleet, we don't know. We sent in an Intelligence agent to do reconnaissance and destroy targets; however, he hasn't reported in, and it's likely he's either dead or captured. Now, we could send in the Davenport, but that will alert the Imperial forces there to our intentions. Actually, we could send another operative. I know who we can send, he did the same for the attack on Dexton IX."

A minute later, a finger tapped John's shoulder. "Bloody - what now?"

"You've got a mission. Reecee at New Belfast."

"I've already got one, sniper cover on the PM's office."

"Clark's orders, John. Apparently recon's more important than sniper cover."

"Fine. Where's the ship?"

"Down in the hangar, it's the black one."

The sight was good, a streamlined courier ship. John estimated the engines were enough to get him out of a tangle... if one occurred. That was unlikely, though, as for now, he was a civilian.

"Name?" John inquired.

"Black Lightning, fitting, wouldn't you say?"

"Indeed," John said, and stepped aboard. It was then he realized he didn't know the name of the man who he had been talking to. And he didn't care.

The ship departed from the hangar, on a roundabout journey to the shipyards that the British so desperately needed.
That's no tank!

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:38 am

In an emergency session of Parliament, the measure passed for the treaty with Muir Corporation, as it should, as everyone knew it was greatly beneficial to all.

Meanwhile, John's ship was landing at New Belfast, the recorder having caught each and every one of the defending Imperial ships on his long approach run.

The Victory was the first obvious threat; though alone the Royal Navy could defeat it. What worried him more were the four Loronar Strike Cruisers, one docked at the shipyards, obviously for some minor repairs; the others, patrolling the system. From the cosmetic changes on two, he guessed they were modified to carry fighters, which would greatly bother the Harriers until they were eliminated.

He noted two Dreadnaughts, and by their patrol pattern he deduced there must be a third. This wass the kind of work he was trained to do, not fight off intruders on-board a carrier.

Finally, just as he entered the atmosphere, he noticed a Lancer frigate orbiting overhead. That was trouble.

Besides that, he didn't see or realize the existence of other ships. He pondered this as the crates of datacards were unloaded, and different sets loaded on. What they contained he didn't know; whether it was classified data going back and forth between the Royal Navy HQ and the resistance that must exist here, or just your average, everyday mail was not his concern. His job was different. An hour after he landed, the Black Lightning was rising swiftly through the air once more, and then departed.

One final task, one he hadn't been assigned, was to stop at a Holonet buoy and short out some fuses by jarring it with his shields. The same thing happened with meteorouds, occasionally, so it would go unsuspected. Any message sent for the next day or so wouldn't leave the system.

He returned without fanfare, and landed in the Ark Royal's forward shuttle bay, offloading the bulky recorded from where it was taken to the bridge. He followed, knowing this was the place to stay.
That's no tank!

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:10 am

Admiral Redson, flanked by Sean, entered Clark's office half an hour later.

After saluting the Prime Minister, he turned to Howe.

"I presume you're the representative from Muir? Well, I've reviewed your selections with the fleet captains, and we agreed that the Sendraka Flametalon design best suits our needs. Also, we'll need fighters to load it with, so if you could also produce three squadrons of Star Harrier fighters, that would be greatly appreciated and you will be paid accordingly."
That's no tank!

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:38 am

Howe nodded. "Very well, Admiral. I'll get the shipyards working as soon as I get in contact with my superiors." He took the proferred datapad and began formulating a report update. It was time to help the RBRepublic free themselves.

Mirrodin
Acolyte of Shadow

Post by Mirrodin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:20 am

OOC: Guess I should have posted this earlier :)

IC:
The MC Fleet reverted from hyperspace, along with the ships and fighters built for the RBR. They waited for contact from their new allies.

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:27 pm

As soon as the new ships arrived in dock, RN technicians set about checking over the vessels, and completing the tricky loading procedure of the two squadrons of Harriers built in the Naval Yards aboard the second carrier in the fleet.

This was also when the christening of the two vessels took place, with the king releasing the magnetic catch for the outside bottles, the liquid in either freezing in seconds, creating a spectular shattering of ice of the ships' hulls.

More officers went aboard the newly christened HMS Ripley, the new River-class ship, followed swiftly by the numbers of enlisted men it would take to crew them.

Flight crew and maintenance personnel went with these first two groups aboard the HMS Invincible, their second new ship. It would be a day or so before everything was perfectly ready, and so the crews went to work as the Muir crews returned to their own ships for easy rest.
That's no tank!

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:29 pm

As soon as all preparations were ready, the Ark Royal left dock, all fighters aboard, and jumped out towards their initial point. The Invincible was next to follow, along with all the destroyers except for HMS Scarborough, assigned to defend New Liverpool in case of any attack.

An hour or so later, the ships arrived at their IP, joining up with the Muir Corporation vessels waiting their, out of range of the Imperial sensors several light-years away.

To be utterly prepared, the Ark Royal and Invincible disgorged their fighters immediately, so that they would be ready to fight as soon as they arrived in system.

The assembled fleet flashed in, approaching out of the sun by way of a circuitous route, advancing in perfect formation.

The two Rivers the British had brought with them lead the group, surrounded by a cloud of Harriers, which immediately broke formation, heading straight for the Victory, missiles armed.
That's no tank!

Scottish Ninja
Hey! A tank!

Post by Scottish Ninja » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:10 pm

The Harriers had already fired their first volleys when someone, somewhere, noticed the Royal Navy and the Imperial fleet were alone. The lack of civilian traffic was easily explainable; it was the lack of an allied fleet that worried the collective minds of the British fleet.

The carriers, sniping from the rear, were halfway through their turn, accelerating all the way through in a long arc. The Imperial ships, pressing the advantage, started after the enemy, but by this time the distance and speed of the British ships made them an unattainable target. The fighters continued on their paths, striking their targets with their first and sometimes second launches, many missing due to the lack of precision lock-ons caused by their extreme speed.

Even with the throttles going at full, the guns of the Imperial fleet caught ten fighters, their melted wreckage quickly left behind by the other pilots.

The bright flares gave everyone the news that the attack had failed.

It wasn't the end, everyone knew, but it was one more bridge they had found cut before them.

And even still, there was more to be done. The galaxy was a vast place, and many places were left to be seen. And infiltrated. And quite possibly, destroyed.

John Waite still had a job.
That's no tank!