Durin's End (Part XX)

A free-form writing forum set in the Star Wars Universe...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Durin's End (Part XX)

Post by VagueDurin » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:16 pm

ooc: old thread
pretty much closed, hope you enjoy, giddyup
IC:
Tara bit her lip slightly as she glanced from Mala and Allie back to Aria... She nodded her head slightly... "Why do I get the feeling you're not coming along?" she asked after a few short seconds.
Last edited by VagueDurin on Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C. S. Lewis

"And for one last instance, I'm Human again." - Sergeant Ghost

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:18 pm

Aria slowly shook her head. "I can't. Not yet. I'm sorry, Tara, but I can't deal with it right now. I need time to think. You go with Allie back to the hospital and check up on him, okay?" Aria forced an opitimistic smile.

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:18 pm

Tara stood still and thought about it for awhile, then finally decided that there wasn't much she could do with the situation, and nodded in defeat. "Yeah." she said softly. Glancing over at Allie, who was just now getting to her feet, Tara did her best to look relaxed and freindly. "You ready?" The question might as well have been a command, but Tara didn't much care for how it came off.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C. S. Lewis

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Wed May 19, 2004 3:55 pm

Allie finished brushing herself off and nodded weakly in response to Tara. She was still shaking from her encounter with Aria. Her mind drifted back to the things she had said about Aria back when she didn't know her... now she had a feeling she was going to be changing her mind about this woman. Tara led Allie out of the cantina and Allie let herself take one more frightened glance back at Aria before walking out of the doors.

Aria watched th two of them go, her mind wheeling almost too much to think about whether or not Tara could handle things on her own. Aria felt extremely nauseated and put a hand against her burning forehead. She gave Mala a pleading look before turning back into her room and shutting the door.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 8:33 pm

Tara stalked down the sidewalk towards the hospital, shouldering people out of her was as she went. She moved at a pace that made it just slightly difficult for Allie to keep up with her, but she didn't care...

"How is he?" She asked after a few more steps, genuinly nervous and concerned.

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 8:51 pm

Allie clicked along hurriedly, trying to keep up with the younger woman. The girl's mannerisms kind of reminded Allie of Aria's, though Allie should have known better than to have expected any sort of warm welcome from them. She blinked and stuttered for a moment before answering Tara's question.

"Well... um, he's alive still, and his life isn't in danger anymore... um, he's still recovering though, it hurts him to move and things..." her voice faded and she chewed her lip as she gazed over at the man's daughter.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 8:57 pm

Tara looked over at Allie for a few moments before again looking forward. "I see." She said, breaking the silence. "Do you know when he might be recovered?" She asked, attempting to force some kindness into her tone and posture.

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Allie sighed slightly. "Um, I don't know exactly... perhaps in a few days?" she suggested, trying to hide a bit of her dicomfort with the situation. She hadn't expected to get nearly this involved, but now that she saw Durin's family and seen their faces she felt much more guilty. She took a deep breath as they finally reached the hospital entrance.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 9:14 pm

Tara nodded her head in response as she strode into the hospital. She turned to look back at Allie, giving her a bit of a look. Allie interperated it correctly and took the lead, the two women continuing the rest of the way to the hospital room in silence.

Tara paused outside of the door to Vagues room and watched him through the window. She quickly sorted through all of the facts that were coming into play now, deciding whether she should tell Vague anything or not. Finally she felt ready, and nodded to Allie, who headed inside first to alert Vague of their arival.

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 9:16 pm

Allie took a deep breath and knocked softly before opening the door and looking in at Vague. She gave him a small smile and stepped inside. "I've got a visitor for you..." she said as she stepped out of the way to let Tara through.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 9:31 pm

Vague blinked his eyes open and focused on Allie. He groaned slightly as he shifted ever so slightly on the bed to get a better veiw of the door...

"R..." His voice gave out, so he cleared his throat and tried again. "Really?" He asked.

Vague didn't have to wait long for an answer. Tara slowly walked into the room, and immediatly she felt her heart tighten a bit as she looked at Vague laying in the bed. She gave him a tight lipped smile and strode quickly to the side of the bed before he had a chance to try and move. Slightly hesitant, she took a moment before she reached out and grasped his hand.

"Hi dad." She said softly. "How are you feeling?"

Vague couldn't beleive his eyes as Tara walked into the room. "Tara..." He said softly before painfully turning his head just slightly to look up at her. "I... I'm fine." He told her. "How are you, when did you get back? How... How did you know I was here...?"

"Shh. I'm find Dad. I got back in about a week or so ago." She replied. "Allie... She stopped by the Cantina today and told us where you were." She said, being as vague as possible.

Vague locked eyes with Tara, and asked an unspoken question, and both of their eyes welled up with unshed tears as He realized the answer. Ofcourse Aria hadn't come along... Why would she have... "Is she alright?" He asked carefully after a moment.

Tara swallowed hard, glancing back towards Allie with a look that dared the woman to try to say anything other than what Tara wanted said before she looked back at Vague. "I guess so." She said softly. "I mean, yeah. She's ok Dad." She replied.

Durin knew there was more. There had to be more. But he wasn't going to push Tara into telling him anything... "Its good to see you again Tara. I missed you." He said, then paused... "Where's that Kall fella?" he asked...

However, about halfway through Tara's explaination of how much of a jerk Kall had turned out to be Vague slipped back into unconciousness. The young woman sighed slighlty pain creeping into her eyes before she took a deep breath and turned to look at Allie... "Will you be staying here, or did you want to go back with me?" She asked after a moment.

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

"Um..." Allie thought about this, her instincts telling her to get out of either situation. But her guilt was evident in her mind now, so she woulnd't be going anywhere until things starting resolving themselves.

"Well... I could stay here, I suppose, watch over your dad. I don't think I'd be welcome back at uh, Mala's," she replied finally, having a bit of trouble remembering the name. "Though, if that would make everyone even more uncomfortable, I can just go home..." she said, thinking of the run-down apartment she owned.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 9:41 pm

Tara glanced back at Vague... Her gaze lingering on his slowly rising and falling chest... "I... I know you probably want nothing to do with this... and I don't blame you for it... You don't owe me anything, but if its not too much to ask... I just..." She paused, then finally turned to look Allie in the eyes, a pair of tears creeping slowly down her cheeks... "I'd feel better if someone were here... watching him..."

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 9:43 pm

Allie nodded quickly. "Of course," she paused, not sure what to say to the girl. "It's the least I can do after everything... I'm really very sorry... if I had known..." her voice faded once more and she took another deep breath then cleared her throat. "Will you be visiting again later?"

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 9:47 pm

Tara nodded slightly. "Most likely, yes." She said. The pair exchenged a few more quick words before Tara set out on her way back to the Cantina. Once she arrived, she took a deep breath, wiped her eyes, and walked inside.

She nodded slighly as she passed Mala, and knocked quietly on Aria's door before she slowly slid the door open and stepped silently inside. She didn't speak... not sure how steady her voice was.

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 9:51 pm

Aria was sitting on her bed, leaning forward and resting her head in one hand, the other clutching the ring around her neck. She stared down at a spot on her bed. She'd been there ever since Tara and Allie had left, feeling numb and drained, trying to absorb the new information that Allie had revealed. It was not absorbing well at all. She didn't look up when Tara stepped in, but sighed and spoke softly.

"How is he?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 10:01 pm

Tara sighed slightly. She wasn't about to lie to Aria. "Not so hot." She said softly... "Someone did quite a number on him." She continued. "Nurse said he came in paralyzed from the waist down... They've done all they could and said he'll recover... but it looks like he's still hurting really bad... can barely move... I..."

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 10:08 pm

Aria's head jerked up slightly as Tara spoke, her brows furrowing as she listened. She felt a jolt in her chest, the urge to leap off the bed and run full speed to the hospital to check on him. She just barely supressed this, her logic desperately fighting with her emotions. She bit her lip and cocked her head slightly, looking sympathetically at Tara. "Well, at least he's... he's recovering then," she said, her voice flat.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 10:12 pm

Tara bit her lip quickly and choked back the tears. She didn't know what hurt worse, the tone Aria was using, or knowing how hard it was on Aria to only be able to use that tone... The young woman slowly walked further into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. There was silence for awhile, then she spoke up...

"He... He asked how you were doing..." She said... immediatly wondering if she should have kept that to herself....

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 10:17 pm

Aria fought back the tears desperately, biting her lip hard and squeezing the ring in her hand tightly. It seemed to have more weight around her neck than ever before, and felt like it was burning into her hand, making it's presence more known than ever. She thought of a bunch of things to say. She could have tried to lighten the mood by saying that she wasn't surprised, or that it certainly sounded like good ol' Vague, always worried about someone else. She thought of nasty things she could have said as well, like 'why does he even care?' or 'not that it matters'. But instead, her shoulders slumped and her mouth opened, nothing coming out. She looked up and blinked back the tears. "What did you say?" she asked, almost wanting to know herself how she was doing.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Thu May 20, 2004 10:21 pm

Tara cocked her head a bit to the side as she studied Aria's face... "I, well I told him you were alright." She said. "Did my best to make sure he wouldn't be worrying about that while he was supposed to be recovering... but you know Va-..." She stopped as she thought about what she was about to say. "Well anyway, I think he beleived it for the most part..."

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu May 20, 2004 10:26 pm

Aria nodded slowly. That was a sensical answer. "Th-that's good then..." she said, stuttering slightly and coughing after to cover it up. She looked back down, her back hunched over and posture gone. She couldn't get her mind around any of it. There were too many conflicting emotions inside of her. She needed to get away... however, she wasn't sure she trusted herself to leave the cantina without eventually ending up at the hospital. So she turned her attention elsewhere.

"Are you okay, Tara?" she asked, trying to keep her lower lip from trembling.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 21, 2004 9:40 am

Tara slowly nodded her head. She wanted to go on... to talk to Aria about hoow worried she was about Vague... to describe to her the weakened state he was in.... but it wouldn't help anything...

"Yeah, I'm ok. Just shook up. Wasn't what I had in mind for finding him." she said slowly... She turned a bit and looked at Aria a little more closely. She had a few things on her mind that she wanted to bring up... but she was afraid to.

"Aria... What... Whats going to happen now?" She asked finally... knowing it was probably too soon to ask the question, but she couldn't give Aria anymore time to think. "Now that he's back... I mean..." she paused once again... "Where will I go?"

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Fri May 21, 2004 12:24 pm

Aria looked up at her, thinking for a long moment, frowning slightly as Tara called her by her name. "Well... I'm not sure what's going to happen now... now that he's back." She sucked in a deep breath, thinking about her breakdown with Micti. She had been doing so much thinking since then, and she finally came up with at least one decision. "But... I still consider you my daughter, Tara," she stated firmly. It had been proven by her outburst and how at her weakest moment, Aria still referred to the girl as 'our daughter'. "I don't know what V-Vague has planned for himself now, but you're always welcome here, or wherever I end up..."

Aria knew now why she was uncomfortable with Tara using her name. Even if Aria didn't know what to think of Vague anymore, she'd gotten the sentiment of being Tara's mother into her head and it wouldn't be leaving any time soon. Aria liked the idea of having a daughter, and even though Tara's presence brought back memories. She knew she was going to have to face them sooner or later anyway, and having a daughter made Aria feel less alone....

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 21, 2004 3:34 pm

It was partially the answer Tara had wanted to hear... She was glad that Aria still considered her a daughter... But Aria had neglected to mention herself and Vague in her answer. Tara smiled slightly and scooted over a bit on the bed to wrap an arm around Aria's shoulders.... She didn't say anything though, not able to come up with something helpfull...

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Fri May 21, 2004 3:51 pm

Aria smiled just slightly, looking over at Tara sadly. "I'm sorry about all of this, Tara. I really am," she said to the girl, knowing that she must have been disappointed that Aria hadn't gone to see Vague with her. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 21, 2004 7:56 pm

Tara shook her head slowly. "No... Its not your fault." She spoke slowly, pausing for a moment before she went on. "I'm fine, don't worry about me."

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Fri May 21, 2004 8:03 pm

Aria's brows furrowed slightly. "Well, if you're sure then... but just ask if you need anything." Aria gazed at the girl, her daughter, for a long moment before blinking and looking back down at her hands. She hesitated then spoke up again. "When do you think you'll be going back to see him?"

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 21, 2004 8:15 pm

"Probably sometime after supper." She replied. "Depending on how he's doing I was thinking about staying there at the hospital tonight." She said, glancing over at Aria's face in hopes of catching some sort of reaction.

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Fri May 21, 2004 8:43 pm

Aria tried to smile and nodded. "That might be a good idea..." she hesitated for a very long moment, then spoke up very quiety after taking a deep breath. "I... I think... I might come visit you guys tomorrow if you do..." She swallowed and closed her eyes, hoping desperately that she wouldn't be making a mistake, but she knew she still loved him even though she didn't want to anymore. She had to at least see if he was alright. No matter what happened in the past. That Aria could handle.... however, what she was terrified of was getting stuck there: not being able to tear herself away...

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 21, 2004 8:56 pm

Tara covered up her excitment and releif as much as she could, and she nodded slowly, giving Aria's shoulders a comforting squeeze. "Well, I think i'm going to go see about getting something to eat... Do you want anything?"

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Fri May 21, 2004 9:43 pm

Aria smiled shakily and nodded. "Maybe some tea and a little snack. Just have Mala make me whatever, she knows what I like...." said Aria, though by her tone, it was obvious her thoughts were distracting her and she wasn't concentrating on what she was saying.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Mon May 24, 2004 7:50 pm

Tara nodded and dissapeared through the doorway, heading out into the cantina to check back in with Mala and let her know that they were going to be wanting a bit or so to eat, leaving Aria in her room alone with her thoughts.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:07 pm

Tara let Mala know that Aria wanted a bite to eat, and then let the other woman know that she was going to step out for a bit. Grabbing her leather coat, she pushed open the doors of the Cantina, and stepped out onto the sidewalk, joining in among the rest of the passers by.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:40 pm

You could be my savior, you could be my stone, you could be my anger, you could be my joy, it doest even matter if your not there, Oh no, don't you ever fade away.... You've been baptized by fire, and now you're drowning in the rain Its breaking the spell thats got you under, its breaking the spell thats got you bound in chains. When the skies are turning grey, let the rain wash away the pain, don't fade away.....

Tara walked briskly down the streets. Navigating her way through the throngs of pedestrians going about their early evening business. Her eyes were wet, but she kept the tears in check. The young woman had a lot on her mind, that much she was sure of, however she was having some trouble focusing on any one thing.

Vagues safety and well being was ofcourse her upmost concern at the moment. He was in such a weekened state, it worried her just to imagine how he might be doing at the moment. But, ofcourse, if and when he made it through his recovery, Tara wasn't sure what would happen between her parents.

Her parents... Suddenly she slowed, eyebrows furrowed. Ofcourse they weren't really her parents... as far as the most specific of definitions was concerned... She sighed slightly... For the first time, she felt like she was actually realizing that they were her parents... They'd held the title and the responsibilties for awhile, sure... But she felt it in her heart... She'd probably felt it for quite some time, but now she was realizing it.

"Of all the times..." She said outloud softly.

Even knowing that nothing had happened, she wasn't at all sure if the two of them could ever get back together, much less get back to normal. And that made her very uncomfortable, and very sad. The galaxy just hadn't seemed right since she'd returned and found out the horrible news... It wasn't the same without them at each others side.

She sighed again. Because she knew where Aria was coming from... She knew she'd feel the same way, and have the same thoughts and concerns... She shivered slightly... And she knew, well not knew, but she felt that she probably would never speak to Vague again if she were in Aria's position...

Tears started to escape her eyes as she kept on her walk... It had been meant as a way to clear her head... Well she was sorting things out, but she certainly wasn't feeling any better or any more sure about anything...

Not more than a half an hour after she left she ended up on the steps that led to the back door of the Cantina. She just sat down, hed in her hands, trying her best to make sense of it all...

DemonKrayt

Post by DemonKrayt » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:08 pm

OOC: FINALLY! The woman has come to her senses. Shame it took this long. Though she finally got rid of that ugly noghri freak. Now how about you come to a real man, aria? :p

BTW...I've noticed there hasn't been any explosions....*throws a thermal detonator in the thread to blow it up* There..all better.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:37 pm

A burning ball of so much fiery energy creeped its way ever farther into veiw over the rising cityscape of Correlia. It spread light and warmth accross the land as Tara watched it rise into the morning sky from the hospital rooms window. However, out of al the light and warmth it spread, somehow it managed only to cast a shadow over her window, and the room she stood in.

Frowning, the young woman turned away from the window, and those thoughts, and looked over at Vague, laying peacefully asleep on the hospital bed... Aria had said she would be coming by today... Tara hadn't mentioned a word of it to Vague, or to Allie, who she'd sent home last night after supper, and after collected the womans comm frequency.

Tara bit her lip, wondering how things would play out by the end of the day... Wondering if Aria would even be able to show up at all... The poor woman was hurting so badly inside...

Again Tara frowned. She just couldn't seem to dodge the negative, and it was a real downer. Sighing, she slid into a chair and watched Vague sleep... It all seemed so much simpler when he was right there... somehow nothing else ever mattered with Vague around...

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:36 pm

Aria stared up at the ceiling of her room at the cantina. She hadn't slept all night and as she blinked, her eyes felt rather dry and her eyelids heavy. She had sobbed, concentrated, gone over things in her head again and again, at one point she had gotten up and shoved all of her blaster tools off of her desk in rage at the entire situation.

Now, she felt weak, but detached. Everything seemed to be happening to someone else. She had been letting everything get to her and she was sick of it. She wanted her wall back, she want to be rid of the pain. She was so incredibley sick of it. But now... now that she knew Vague hadn't actually done anything. The tiniest spark of hope had lit in the back of her mind. It wouldn't let her just leave Corellia and forget. It wouldn't let her ignore the feelings of those around her. And now, it seemed, it wouldn't be letting her ignore the fact that Vague was in poor condition, lying in a hospital just down the street.

She loved him. Loved him with every part of her being. Or, that is, she loved the Vague she knew. This other one, that might have betrayed her was what she was baffled over and she despised because of that.

Aria felt like she'd been going in circles all night, and knew as the sun rose, she wouldn't be falling asleep anytime soon. Her mind went over things slowly, and she thought about things in a more analytical manner now that all the emotion had been drained out of her. She finally came to one, disturbing conclusion.

Slowly, Aria rose from her bed and dressed, feeling mechanical and distant. She didn't know what she was putting on, though it was her baggy, ripped dark brown jeans and her loose black shirt. She pulled her hair back into a low braid, out of her face, the annoying stuff. It was creepily similar to the hairstyle she had chosen to wear most of the time when in league with Sevok. But that incident was far from her mind at the moment. She slipped on her elbow length gloves, and they gave her the satisfaction of not actually being able to feel anything she touched. If she could actually feel his skin again... no. She would keep herself detached. She stepped into her clunky brown boots and trudged out of the room. The cantina was closed, Mala probably in her room fast asleep. Aria felt a wave of jealously, envious of the comfort and stability her friend could still grasp. If she had been feeling like herself, she would have left a note, not wanting Mala to worry. This morning, she didn't care.

The ring hanging around her neck felt heavy against her chest, but she took a large breath and walked out of the cantina doors, not attempting to make her exit hidden or quiet in any way. She clenched her jaw then began the trek down the street toward the hospital...

Aria_Lonoter

Post by Aria_Lonoter » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:41 am

She walked into the hospital and up to the receptionist, giving the woman a blank, cold star. Aria spoke for the first time in hours and her voice came out much more hoarse than it usually was.

"Take me to the noghri Vague Durin's room," she ordered flatly. The receptionist blinked in confusion then slowly stood and led Aria down the corridors.

Aria stood outside the hospital room, staring at the door for a long moment. She had to. It was the one thing she had decided on. She slowly reaching for the doorlatch and tried to prevent her hand from trembling. She had come to this conclusion... there was no way around it. She opened the door slowly and closed her eyes, then stepped in. Yes. She had come to the conclusion that, she had to go visit him. Or she'd never be able to move on. Or forget him.

VagueDurin

Post by VagueDurin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:48 am

Tara's head snapped up at the sound of the door opening, and she quickly stood up as she saw Aria standing in the doorway... The young girl bit her lip as she looked over Aria's appearance and posture, before forcing a smile.

"You made it." She said softly. A few seconds later she managed to find the right words to continue. "Um, He's been asleep for about five hours or so... But he's not doing too much better than he was yesterday." She explained, and paused again, waiting for a response she somehow knew wasn't coming. "Ok, well, I'll just go see about getting some breakfast, I'll be in the cafeteria if you need me." She said, and slowly walked out of the room, leaving Vague and Aria together again for the first tiem in months.