A taste for death (open!)

A free-form writing forum set in the Star Wars Universe...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Thermonuclear Wyvern

A taste for death (open!)

Post by AetherWalker32767 »

There are some who break under blood, others who bear it in silent courage. Beyond the tree-lined realm of this multitudinous majority, there is a small group of those who are blood-drinkers, who through derangement or heroism, if the two are any different from one another, have developed a taste for death. These are unnerving eyes and cold, floating limbs, a sinister detachment incarnate amidst carnage and blind, waiting, elsewhere.

Most of those in the repulsorskids that week were men with a taste for death. The 'skids had engines that, for stealth and weight purposes, could only lift them up, not propel them forwards; for motion, the men poled along the ground with long, blade-tipped poles, useful as weapons in an instant.

As supply and records officer, I was accompanying them in more or less a noncombat role; nevertheless, the pair of .44 Electromagnums was in that week an integral part of my person, my face in that dark world of dazzling blaster lights and sudden vibroblades which, when one is in the company of such people as I was with, is so blurred into our own realm as to frame it entire.

O inescapeable destiny! O final end of the greatest works of nature, man, and Force alike! I should have known from the moment I saw the waveblade that I would be the only one left alive. My traveling companions moved only towards oblivion.

For they had developed a taste for death.

The 'skids were cramped and uncomfortable, four people with equipment, weapons, and supplies in a ten-foot-craft narrowed incredibly for streamlining. Each man held one of the movement-poles; between four such poles, each 'skid took on the aspect of a long-legged creature picking its way in silence through the jungle.

Antanaria's local shadow govenment had delivered a challenge to the area's branch of the Rebel Alliance: Demonstrate conclusively that the Empire is not invincible, and the people shall take up arms and help the outnumbered, outgunned rebel troops waiting at ready in a fight to claim the planet for the cause of freedom. That was our task.