The Jedi Temple: The Coming of the Storm

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Shaggy
The Rev.

The Jedi Temple: The Coming of the Storm

Post by Shaggy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:56 am

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Re: The Jedi Temple: The Coming of the Storm

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:47 am

Soon Arice and Rissk were dueling quite violently about the clearing, striking with such force splinters of wood were occasionally flying off their makeshift swords. Rissk was panting and Arice had broken a light sweat. Eventually they were circling each other poised to strike, Rissk struggling to catch her breath, "Hmmph! If the force is doing this - why am I so tired?" Arice did a couple of deft strikes, which Rissk barely blocked then retreated, "Your muscles are still doing the work, but the force is guiding them, giving them energy."

Rissk slammed her stick at Arice who ducked, then parried the back strike, "Hmmm, so are we going to be paying the price later?" Arice shrugged as he blocked another blow, "Yes, your body is probably working harder than it normally would, but then when you recover you will be stronger."

Rissk swished her wooden sword at Arice again, "Are you going all out on me? I'm surprised I've not been hit much?" Arice grinned, swang high and as Rissk blocked he arced around and smacked her shin then backed off, she dropped her stick and yelped, "Ouch!" Arice lowered his weapon, "I'm trying to teach you Rissk, knocking seven bells out of you wouldn't teach you much. Forget what I'm doing, concentrate on using the force to attack and defend yourself."

She reached down and rubbed her shin, then picked up the wooden stick, but didn't return to an engarde position, "Arice, that time on the Arena Ship - when we were rescuing the senators daughter and they threw you into the fight pit - were you using the force then?"

He rested the tip of his weapon on the ground and leaned on it,"Yes, I suppose I was, I was trying not too, certainly trying not to look like I was - there were imperial inquisitors everywhere at the time and if I'd overtly used the force to win I could have been captured by the Empire and where take Jedi was much worse than the Mining Asteroid where I was incarcerated for a few years. I would have probably been killed very quickly if I hadn't had the force, it's more than a powerful weapon - it's a powerful ally."

Rissk sighed deeply, "Hmmph, I think I've got a lot to learn!". He grinned, slung the wooden sword over his good shoulder and started walking back towards the temple, "You've only been here a few days Rissk - you've learned a lot in no time at all, give it time. Ethan seems a good teacher, and a wise Jedi - listen to him, he'll make you a good Jedi... Eventually. It won't happen overnight - but you'll get there."

She dropped her weapon onto her shoulder and skipped after him towards the temple, it had been quite a workout and she was ravished.

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Jola smiled as the young girl Arilyn noisily made her way into the small instruction room, she could see the evidence that she had recently been engaged in quite a bit of significant physical activity, the cool air of the med-center amplifying her sweating. The student sitting on the table she was standing next to stared at her as she sat down in the front row seat she'd just recently vacated,

"As I was saying," she continued with a smile, "what do you all think is really happening when a Jedi healer like myself purges a poison from their own body or the body of another being?"

Several hands went up around the room and she pointed at a young iridonian boy who was sitting at the far right end of the front row,

"We channel the Force into ourselves or our patient and that forces the poison out of our bodies."

Jola smiled and held up a finger,

"Close, you're about half right."

The boy's skin darkened a little at the embarrassment of being wrong, "You're right in that when we heal someone you are pouring the force either into your own body or a patient's but you don't use it to directly attack it, that approach can work but it can also be dangerous for the patient. No, the ideal method of purging poison from a patient's system is to work with the patient's own body, use the Force to enhance and reinforce it's own cells, causing the damaged or destroyed ones to re-grow a greater than normal rate for instance thus allowing the body to fight through the attack it's undergoing or to amplify the effects of the anti-toxin you've administered. It takes longer but it's safer both for the patient and you as the healer because it requires less effort and puts less of a direct strain on the body."

She paused and then looked around and smiled, "In some cases it can even have the fortunate side effect of granting the person a great level of immunity to future exposures to the toxin."

There was a slight murmur that ran through small group, turning back the girl who was resting on the table at the front of the room she lifted her arm and checked her pulse, the injection of modified Alluvian flu was beginning to take hold of the girls' system, moving her hands to the sides of the girls neck to check her glands which were starting to harden and swell a bit.

"Tam here is starting to suffer the early symptoms of the weaponized strain of the Alluvian flu that I injected her with, her pulse is starting to increase and her lymph nodes are starting to swell and harden as her body is starting to fight the invasion. If she doesn't get treatment in the next two hours before the infection reaches stage two she's a goner."

She noticed the girl's eyes bulged a little with that pronouncement,

"But that's nothing we need to worry about, Tam lay down," as she did Jola attached a pair of bio-sensors to the girl that then displayed her vitals on the vid panel imbeded in the wall behind them, then Jola took the girl's hand and smiled,

"Take deep slow breaths." The girl nodded and closed her eyes, Jola did much the same and the small crystal that hung around her neck began to glow with a inner white-blue light, on the screen behind them the display showed the girl's vitals fluctuate and then begin to slowly return to normal, after a few minutes the crystal around Jola's neck slowly returned to it's normal color and hue. Jola rested her hand on the side of the table and took a few long slow breaths before she pulled herself upright, the infection had been more advanced then she'd expected it to be, beside her the young girl opened her eyes and sat up blinking,

"Any questions?" Jola asked letting a faint smile crease her lips...
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 am

"Nu'ruus was one of many we lost that day and his loss was defending the Temple. He was a defense for those who could not defend themselves and because of him, many lived."

Daer'Gunn stood up to his full height and put a massive hand on her shoulder. Bringing himself down to look Raven in her ever reddening eyes, he could see that this was a deep pain.

"We all lost friends and mentors that day but what we must take away from that is not an extreme sorrow. We must be glad that they are now on with the Force. Sure we miss them, their companionship, their insight, their love; but don't be sad for them. Don't hold onto them too tightly, that kind of attachments can lead to the Darkside and then you become the very thing we hope to defeat. Let Nu'ruus go, give him to the Force and release the hold you are keeping to yourself. Yes we miss them physically but we will see each other again, soon."

The lack of sleep was beginning to take it's toll on Daer'Gunn. He hadn't slept in two days, using the Force to replenish him and normally he could go about two more days, but there was some much stress building on him. Now as he was talking to Raven, he had flashes of those he had personally lost. Their faces flashing before the back of his eyelids like an onslaught of memmoies. Daer'Gunn had to physically open his eyes and shake his head a little bit.

"I'm sorry about that. Rather tired and probably should go get some rest. Are you going to be ok?"

kashus_Draith
I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:51 pm

Raven got to her feet and smiled at the Jedi master. "Yes, I'll be okay. Thanks for the talk, Master Daer'Gunn."

The truth to Raven's sadness wasn't the death of her past Jedi mentor, but the darkness that seems to be consuming her. Raven knew she was troubled but no one at the Jedi temple could help her. She didn't understand what was happening to her or why she was having so many vivid dreams. Her connection with the living Force was getting stronger, and she didn't think she could handle what was coming over the horizon. She could sense pain and suffering for all. It was like a blanket of blackness that hid her from the light. All that Raven could do was wait for it to come and to let it happen.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 am

Rissk and Arice were nearing the temple, Rissk looking a little puzzled. She tapped Arice on the shoulder, "Arice, so far Ethan and you have set about teaching me how to fence... Surely there's more to being a Jedi than that!? Kaxson used to always want to fence nad block blaster shots with her sabre - but surely there's more to it than that?"

He shrugged, stopping and turning to look at her, "Of course there is, but the first thing any teacher has to do is make you aware of the force. If you can't feel the force then you can't use it, or allow it to guide you. Fencing as you put it DOES help one to become attuned to the force - lots of Jedi spend as much time fencing as meditating. I suppose it is a form of meditation. Once you can feel the force, it opens up possibilities you didn't think possible."

With that he threw his wooden sword over into the bushes. Rissk eyed him suspiciously, then he reached out his hand and stretched out his fingers. The wooden sword flew threw the air and landed perfectly in his outstretched hand. Rissk's eyes were now wide open, "Wow... I can imagine that can useful..." Arice nodded, "Yes, it can - it may be some time before you can perform feats like this, eventually you can use the force to run faster, jump higher, heal people, maybe even glance into the future." Rissk threw her wooden sword onto the floor and reached out to it straining, as if trying to pull it into her hand with will power. Arice shook his head, "You can't pull the sword to your hand through will power, it's not believing you can do it - it's knowing that what will happen is the sword flies to your hand." Rissk tried to relax a little and alter her thoughts, nothing was happening though, Arice sighed deeply, "You care about success too much, your desire to succeed is getting in the way. More effort won't help here - less effort is what will do it for you, try to detach yourself from what is happening, and feel the flow of the force."

Rissk glared at the wooden sword, then relaxed her features and held out her hand, the wooden sword rocked slightly towards her, slid across the grass for a couple of inches then stopped and she gasped. Arice chuckled at this, "I don't recommend holding your breath. You did well to get it to move at all, but this isn't going to come over night. You look like you were putting a lot of effort in, but the force doesn't care how much effort you put in - it's your force sensitivity and strength of mind that makes it work. You should probably let Ethan try to teach you this later, it's not really the right time to be trying this."

Rissk nodded, sighed and retrieved her wooden sword, soon they were seated in the cantina eating hungrily and drinking silently.

TalRaimi
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:11 pm

Ethan found Rissk and Arice in the cantina; so far it appeared to be one of Rissk’s favourite places. Which considering the number of calories a Trandoshan burned wasn’t all that surprising now that he though about it. “Hi,” he greeted them slipping into a vacant seat. “Once again I must apologise for my absence.”

“Mmm, damn right,” Rissk agreed between bites. “Kinda hard to learn to be a Jedi when you’re not here."

“Rissk!” Arice chided her. “Manners.”

“No, she’s right,” Ethan held up a hand to forestall any further comment. “So far I’m not being a very good teacher.”

Or husband, or father, for that matter, he silently added. Caitlin’s lethargy was still worrying him and with splitting his time between looking after her, spending time with his daughter Ehlana, and trying to teach Rissk he was failing at all three. He was starting to see just one of the reasons that the Jedi had originally sunned having a family.

“I’ll try to do better in the future,” he told Rissk, before turning to address Arice. “So, any leads on the clones who attacked us?”
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 pm

Arice stopped munching for a moment, "I had a look at the dart - it looks very sophisticated, but there's nothing to suggest who made it or used it. Why they wanted to capture Rissk I really can't say - If I can get hold of some electronics parts I might make a discreet tracking device so if they try again - and I think they will, and they succeed, we'l have a chance of following them."

Rissk spat her food and glared at him, "You're going to let me be knocked out and captured?! FORGET IT!" Arice shuddered and responded calmly, "No, I merely suggesting that given the trouble they've gone to, they might go to more next time - it will be a precaution. We'll have to try to capture one of them alive next time, though how we do that when their master martyrs them from afar - I don't know. Perhaps a search around Iziz for a ship or pod they were sent in would be worthwhile? Pah! No, they will have cleaned up after themselves by now I'm sure of it."

Rissk was looking uncomfortably between Ethan and Arice, "Look , hmmph! Can we stop talking about it? Can we back to the task in hand? I came here to learn to be a Jedi not go chasing around the galaxy looking for clones!"

Arice raised an eyebrow at Ethan, "She has a point... I see if I can scavenge some parts and make her a tracker - while you focus on teaching her the force - how does that sound?"

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Jonji Fawkes stood quietly outside the training room where Grand Master Daer'Gunn was quietly speaking with the other student, whatever it was that they spoke of he could tell just form the body language that it was a very emotional issue, that and patience were just a couple of the many things he had his former master to thank for...

Darien Vos further down the hall from here his Master stood polietely and quietly waiting for the Grand Master, he could understand where Master Fawkes was coming from with reguards to his father and his new "direction" in life but Darien also knew that who ever he might be turning into the core of the man that had raised him was still there and that while he might be different in many respects when it all came down he would do what was right and just. Behind him he felt the flicker of a familar presence approaching through the Force, smiling a little he let his own spread out effectively disappearing into it so that when his sister stepped around the corner she nearly leapt out of her own skin, behind her he caught glimpses of his old friend Fini Mar'row's hand pulling back from the blaster it had instinctively gone for,

"Fierfrek!" she scowled as he chuckled her fist lancing out to punch him in his left arm, "When are you going to fracking grow up!"

"When I feel like." he smirked back looking around his sister and flashing both Fini and Sara a quick smile, "What are you guys doing here?"

"Looking for you." Sara replied.

"Me?"

"Yeah, what happened last night?"

"Ah..." he frowned and then glanced back towards Jonji who was studying the small group form the other end of the hall, "Dad left, again."

Kali rolled her eyes and then scowled at him, "You're just angry because Jerrik picked him over you aren't you?"

Her fist snapped out quite a bit harder this time rocking him back a bit, he could feel the bruise already starting to swell, "Jerrik can do whatever he wants, I wanna know what he said that made mom come back to the apartment and drink herself stupid. We know you were there and we know that Master Fawkes can... hear things."

"Well then why are you trying to drag things out of me?"

Kali's arm cocked back ready to strike again and Darien held up his hands in mock surrender, "Easy, besides it's not so much what he said as what he did."

That made the three of them all frown, he held up his hand and fingered the circumference of his left ring finger, Kali was the first to pick up the meaning then Sara and then Fini with a sharp "oh."

"Then why'd he leave?"

"Well, you'd have to ask Master Fawkes that one." Darien lied, the whisper technique had been one of the first he'd picked up from his Master and overall one of the most useful and he was now even better at it than his master, but the lie seemed to placate them.

"Is that why you're here?" Fini asked. Darien nodded,

"Master Fawkes thinks my dad could pose a danger and that the council needs to be informed officially of what he's planning."

"But didn't Master Vos and the Grand Master have a meeting the other morning when we first arrived?"

Darien just shrugged helplessly...

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:12 pm

OOC/ Just a quick post - if anyone’s especially interested in jumping in, go for it; mostly, I’m just going to write. :)

IC/ Ashin keyed for shutdown almost before her starship settled on its hydraulic haunches. As was her custom when she came back here, she’d landed near the edge, where mists from the huge waterfalls cooled the air. Locking the ramp behind her, she headed into the Academy.

It had been a few months since she’d been here, the last of the succession of Jedi academies she’d trained in. From the Red Star Alliance academy to the Temple on Coruscant to the Ithorian herd ship, she’d worked hard to make up for the fact that she really wasn’t that strong with the Force, at least not naturally. Here, on Onderon, was where she’d had the breakthroughs that made her a Jedi Knight. The jungle would always hold a special place in her heart.

She walked the halls, greeting and being greeted, until she came to the small meditation room where Master Charnil had taught her about the meaning of a Jedi’s existence. Light came through the blinds; dust motes glowed. She went in and sat down with a view between the slats.

“Welcome home, Jedi Knight.”

“Master Charnil!” She stood and hugged the old man, a former Padawan and a survivor of the Old Republic’s Agricultural Corps. Grounded, pragmatic and affable, he’d been her favorite teacher since Coruscant despite his lack of real power; they called him ‘Master’ because he was a teacher, not because he had that rank. Now, though, he felt frail, to her senses and in the Force. She pulled back and met his eyes, and decided to ask. “Master Charnil, how old are you?”

Something flickered in his eyes that she couldn’t read. “Seventy, Ashin. I’m seventy.” Then he smiled, and it didn’t seem forced at all. “I was young when I ran from Vader. I’m not young anymore. But that’s the way of things – we all pass on. Just because we can’t see the next step doesn’t mean we should fear it.”

She hugged him tighter, briefly, then let go. “And attachment is the path to-“

“Oh, don’t be silly,” the old man said briskly. Ashin blinked. “Ashin, why do you think the Jedi of the Old Republic even had Padawans in the first place? Attachment is fundamental to life. Erase it, and you put yourself in danger of living empty.” He barked a laugh. “The only reason Jedi stopped having families was because the Republic told them to, four thousand years ago. We changed our doctrine to explain it away, uncomfortable because we conceded.” He winked. “But I’ve never been politically correct. That’s one reason – one of the minor reasons – that I was assigned to AgriCorps.”

It wasn’t the first time he’d given her this history lesson, but it had been a while. “And that’s why Master Daer’Gunn has a wife,” she finished. “Because attachment is dangerous only when it unbalances you.”

“Very good, my dear. I’m glad you remembered our little chats.”

She grinned. “Master, I’ll tell you this just once, because it would make you too full of yourself for me to say it again. Your lessons helped me grow more than anyone’s.” There’d been a time when she’d wondered why he didn’t take her as an apprentice; now, with a few more years under her belt, she knew he simply hadn’t had it in him to be a group instructor and a single person’s Master as well. He’d thrown his whole life into rebuilding the Jedi Order.

In the end, despite his lessons, Charnil hadn’t had time for attachment after all.

“Thank you, Ashin.” Something eased in his already placid face, and he ran his fingers through his long beard as he did when pondering something. “How long will you be visiting the Academy?”

“I came to see you, and one or two others. That, and I came looking for an assignment. I resigned my commission with the Jade Empire navy.” He lifted an eyebrow, but she kept on. “They can take care of themselves now, and I decided it was time to be just a Jedi.”

He was quiet for a moment. “So you’ve felt it too, then. Most of us have: a storm on the horizon.” Despite herself, Ashin shivered. She could see that he noticed. “My dear, I’m glad you’ve come back. There’s something I need you to do – something I could only trust to someone like you.”

“His name is Temap; he’s a Mon Cal, about seventeen standard years.”

They stood on a balcony overlooking an open yard where students sparred.

“I see him. That looked like it hurt.”

“As far as potential, it’s limited. I understand; you understand; but he doesn’t, not really. He’s constantly frustrated with himself, something that only grows worse no matter how much I talk with him. He needs a Master.”

Ashin winced. She’d seen it coming, but still… “I’ve been a Knight less than two years, Master, and I’ve spent over half of that puttering around the Unknown Regions. Do you really think I’m the one for the job?” Twenty yards below, Temap got his legs swiped from under him and fell on his face. Ashin winced again.

“My dear, I think you’re perfectly qualified. Shall I start the process?”

“Fine, do it. That didn’t come out right. Sure. I’ll take him.”

“Excellent.”

The next day found Ashin and Temap in a sparring room. The Mon Cal boy had run through a handful of velocities – the foundation of Ashin’s style. Now it was time for more dynamic training.

“Shii-Cho? Are you serious…Master?” She didn’t take offense: for one, he still hadn’t adjusted to tacking the title onto the end of sentences when talking to her. For two, he was just like she’d been.

“Dead serious, my young apprentice.” His Basic was good enough that she knew he could pick out her good-natured sarcasm. She hoped he realized she was poking fun at herself. “Shii-Cho is just about all I use. It’s the fundamental style – and simplicity is power. Plus, if you invert the blade one-handed you get a defensive style that rivals Soresu and is very good for close combat.” She brought her forearm up in front of her with the blade pointed down. “You only need very small movements to block just about anything.”

“And what if I do this?” He slashed down at her wide-open hand and arm. She rotated her wrist and pulled back just slightly, and suddenly her saber was in a high guard that batted his blade away. Her point made, she went back to the inverted stance and kept teaching.

“The inverted style only has two strikes: the flick and the circle.” She demonstrated, first flicking her blade up at the right side of his head, then whirling it back around for a decapitating cut. “If you know what you’re doing, that’s all you need. Timing is everything.”

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Ashin and Temap began sparring, with each bout separated by a short session of instruction. They talked as they fought, except for the faster exchanges. She picked apart his timing, his stances, his footwork and his mindset, and as far as she could tell she did it in a way that didn’t offend. She was sure to compliment his strengths and the parts that he did right, and by the time the sun set she’d noticed an improvement.

“All right.” She drew back and eyed her pupil. They were both sore and tired, but instinct drove her on. “Now we step it up. Force use in a fight.” His big fish eyes blinked, and his apprehension projected itself. She’d have to teach him how to guard his mind better. “It’s not the easiest thing to learn, but there’s some very practical techniques that we can go over, no problem. Consider this: what do you think when I do this?” She threw out her palm like she would when pushing something in the Force. Temap flinched. “That’s right, you think Force push. Now what if you pulled when you made that pushing motion? It’ll throw them off like crazy.” A series of telekinesis blocks sat nearby. She shoved her hand out and Force-pulled at the same time; the blocks skidded across the floor towards her. “A little counter-intuitive, but easy enough once you practice. And the same goes for the opposite.” She made a grasping, pulling motion and shoved with her mind. The blocks hit the wall.

They practiced that until mealtime. She’d hoped to move on to using the tricks – a subtle way to get him interested in the mundane Push and Pull skills – in actual dueling, but it took that long to get to the point where he could even do it properly. Leaving their outer robes in the corner of the training room, they headed for the cafeteria.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:57 pm

It was almost surprising how easy it was for Faye Ward to fall back into her usual routine. She had been a Jedi instructor for quite awhile, a practice it seemed was as easy to remember as riding a speeder. Her free time between classes was spent doing research and planning out training schedules for the following week. Each class thoroughly planned out so as not to waste any time. Every minute of every class would be well spent and beneficial to her students, or at least that was the goal she sought. Whether or not she attained it, however, was anyone's guess.

Right now, though, the Jedi Master was thoroughly engrossed in a textbook covering the multiple styles of saber combat. Her job was to identify their strengths and weaknesses and devise ways to counter them. That particular topic was one she planned to cover in her advanced saber course and naturally would require a tremendous amount of practice and study. The dueling droids provided by Muir were proving to be an invaluable resource as it allowed her to see each style performed correctly in front of her. The only downside was that the droid's lacked what other sentients might refer to as flair and while they allowed for practical study they didn't account for personal taste. Every style could be shaped and molded to one's own strengths, some times resulting in sub-styles that may seem completely different from their originals. Improvisation was something her students would have to figure out on their own as their skills with a blade improved.

A quick glance at her chrono told her the time and Faye had to consciously make an effort to hide her frown. She hadn't realized how late it was getting and suddenly remembered she was feeling hungry. With her datapad still in one hand her eyes continued to scan the text as she walked, heading down a side hallway towards the mess. Somehow in spite of her eyes being focused on the devise in front of her she still managed to manuever her way around other people without running into them. Her attention was so absorbed by what she was reading that she almost didn't notice the feeling of an unfamiliar presence as she passed by. She stopped walking for a moment and glanced up noticing a young woman walking alongside Temap, a boy who had been attending some of her classes.

"Excuse me, but I don't believe I've seen you before," she said, stopping Ashin and Temap in their tracks. "I am Jedi Master Faye Ward," she continued, offering her hand to the young woman, "I suppose you're the one who'll be taking over Temap's training, correct?"

After Jola's class Arilyn had gone back to the med ward to finish up with the rest of her duties for the day before heading out to the courtyard to spend some free time outside. Currently she sat alone on a bench amidst the flowers and trees and other greenery as a flock of birds surrounded her chirping wildly for her attention. Arilyn just smiled at them and went back to gazing at the sun. She was surprised at how talkative the birds on Onderon were, but like most animals the things they had to talk about rarely contained any useful information.

She was at first a little concerned with the ease with which she communicated with the local wildlife, but Chirushk assured her from his reading that that sort of thing was normal for her kind. Either way she pushed those thoughts out of her mind as she contemplated the moment. For some reason she couldn't explain she always seemed to be drawn outside during the sunset and she would always wake before sunrise. It was a strange compulsion she couldn't quite explain, but she had to admit the beauty of the scenery was worth the effort alone and that in itself was incentive enough to come out here to watch the sun set.

The company she usually kept wasn't bad, either, small little critters from the forest would occasionally wander over to her. She didn't fully understand why that was but she felt that somehow they were being drawn to her in a way similar to how she was drawn to the sun. Maybe it has something to do with those pheromones Chirushk mentioned, she thought quietly to herself. The bird-like Jedi Master had talked about them before but didn't quite fully understand what their purpose was. He had a few theories but nothing really concrete, whatever information he had on Sylarians was sparce at best as the galaxy hadn't had much interaction with them so a lot of the information he was collecting he was getting directly from Arilyn herself.

With a sigh she stood and walked around the temple grounds to the garden overlooking the waterfalls behind the temple. There was no better place to enjoy the sunset then standing on the overlook watching over the lake and as she walked the birds trailed along after her. Some were flying while others bounded along on the ground but all continued to chirp loudly as they vied against each other for her affection. By the time she reached the overlook the sun was just beginning its descent behind the far horizon and as it's dying rays were slowly fading that last bit of sunlight reached out towards her and lit her hair aflame. The light played off her gleaming white locks and danced about in the air around her creating a visual effect that was almost like a bright aura enveloping her.

When the last of the light faded and her hair returned to its normal hue a lone figure hiding in the brush some distance behind her began its stealthy trek back towards the temple. As she crept along out of sight Anastasya couldn't help but marvel at what she had just witnessed. She had only meant to follow Arilyn to gather information, but she wasn't expecting to be treated to a spectacular light show as well. Frowning thoughtfully she made a mental note to try and gather as much information as she could about the mysterious amnesiac...

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 am

"Master Ward, it's a pleasure to meet you." Ashin shook the offered hand briskly, conscious of how bad she smelled after the extended training session. "I've heard good things about you. My name is Ashin Varanin, and yes, Temap is my Padawan now. Master Charnil set it up." She glanced at the datapad; the setup of the text looked very familiar - which would fit with what she'd heard about Master Ward. "You're one of the lightsabre instructors, if I remember right. We were just going over the inverse Shii-Cho variant."

"It's unique," Temap commented. "Effective, too." Ashin blinked. She hadn't expected the Mon Cal teenager to speak up - he tended to stay quieter than most around Masters. She shrugged minutely. "We're headed for the mess, Master. If you're heading that way, could you join us? I have a few questions about Sokan and solid-blade combat." If Temap stayed comfortable around Master Ward, maybe he'd have the guts to ask her some questions of his own, and that could only help.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 am

"Actually, there are some things I need to--," Faye started and then she caught the slightly disappointed look from Temap and bit her lip. "Though," she continued, directing them to lead the way with a wave of her hand, "I guess I could spare some time."

The three of them started walking into the mess and as they got in line to get their food Faye watched Temap almost thoughtfully. "Inverse Shii-Cho," she said quietly under her breath. I never would have thought of that. Then she glanced up at Ashin and spoke louder. "It's good that you're training Temap, I can already see that he's feeling more confident now. I would have assigned someone to him earlier, but candidates have been rather scarce lately. I'm glad you arrived when you did."

Then she glanced at Temap and smiled warmly at him. "There is an old saying where I'm from, 'when the pupil is ready the master will appear.' I'd say you found your master, Temap--or rather your master has found you."

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:53 am

"So far things are going well," Temap said affably, taking a tray. "Master Varanin is a good teacher." He shot a glance at Ashin. "She's no Guardian, but she knows her lightsabre - knows how to teach it, too. It's working out well for me."

Ashin colored slightly. "I can't say I was expecting to have a Padawan at my age, Master Ward. I think we figured I'm only three and a half years older than Temap. I'll do my best but I've warned him not to expect too much." Time to change the subject... "I've been in the Unknown Regions for a few months. I heard Master Daer'Gunn resigned." She dropped her voice; Temap, distracted by the dessert selection, didn't hear. "Master...some of us are sensing a storm on the horizon, the same way we felt it before the Xen'Chi came or the Empire took Coruscant."
Last edited by Beorht on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Faye's smile faded somewhat at the mention of the premonition currently haunting the Jedi Order. "Yes," she replied as she absently took a tray, "I have felt it too, that is the reason for my return."

She glanced at Temap then as he was busily selecting a desert for himself and Ashin could have sworn she caught a pained look in her eyes. "I fear the Order isn't ready for another conflict like the Xen'Chi. The responsibility of protecting the galaxy has fallen onto shoulders far too young to bear its burden. That is why we all have to try our best to do everything we can regardless of age or experience," she added that last bit while looking at Ashin. "He'll be looking to you for guidance in the times to come, remember that well. How long he survives will depend upon you, it is a heavy burden indeed but I'm sure you're ready for it. Master Charnil wouldn't have made the decision otherwise."

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Ashin's stomach curdled; she stopped eyeing the dessert lineup and followed Temap. When she and Faye sat down, Temap was already locked in conversation with another Padawan. Keep him alive? I can't even keep myself safe, let alone a kid. What am I doing?

Six months ago she would have bristled just a little at Faye's comments. Now, though, she had to admit to herself that the Master was absolutely right. No matter how long she felt like she'd been fighting, she was still barely twenty-one.

"Do you know of any visions or dreams - any detail at all? Mine are indistinct. I think it's the Dark Side clouding my sight."

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Raven had bowed her head and walked out. Daer'Gunn could feel the weight of a couple of days without sleep, even with the Force powering him for a little bit, that still did not compensate for the human body. He began to stand up when he caught sight of a man standing outside waiting for him. The face was familiar, his name was Jonji if memory served him right. One thing about being in charge of this place, he needed to know faces and names. Thank the Force that it allowed him to remember such things.

He stood to his full height and turned to face the man. "Can I help you.... Jonji? I hope I got your name right, I am a little off center at the moment." He said with his normal large smile.

ooc>It's short but gets the ball rolling.
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 am

Faye shook her head. "Unfortunately, no," she answered, then she keyed a few things into her datapad and slid it across the table over to Ashin, "but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that something big is on the horizon."

She gestured to the datapad with her eyes and Ashin picked it up and looked at it. On the screen side by side were two separate articles concerning two different Sith attacks. One was on Vorzyd V which ended in a massive loss of life all over the planet and another more recent one was on Sernpidal which resulted in the near total destruction of the planet's major star port and most of the surrounding area.

"Several Jedi were involved in the battle on Sernpidal and with the help of the Imperials they were able to overwhelm the Sith attackers and force them to retreat, but as you can see an unforgivable amount of damage was done to the city," Faye explained and as she talked her expression grew distant. "Vorzyd V was an even bigger travesty and even now it's people are still struggling to recover from the mad hysteria that suddenly covered the entire planet all at once."

She fell silent for a moment, allowing Ashin to digest all of that information before continuing. "Whoever is capable of doing this must be incredibly powerful and I fear that these attacks are merely the beginning. Something far worse is yet to come and we have no choice but to be ready for it--whatever it is."

Faye's hands tightened into fists on top of the table. She knew her place was here at the temple helping to train the next generation of Jedi to fight, but part of her wanted to be out there helping those struggling against the Cult of Shadow. Clearly not enough was being done to prevent travesties like Vorzyd V and Sernpidal, but even adding one more Jedi Master to the fight wouldn't make much of a difference. She knew that and she also knew that was why she couldn't let her emotions get the best of her. A time will come when her blade will be needed, but until then she would have to be patient.

Four years of meditation and I still think like an inexperienced padawan. What would my old master say if he could see me now?

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:36 am

"Vorzyd Five? That's an ecumenopolis! Wait..." Belatedly, Ashin's mind registered something she'd read while talking. "Cult of Shadow...y'know, I'm not normally a profane person, but I'm severely tempted to cuss right now. They kidnapped me a few years back. I've run into them a few times since." Kishkumen's face ran through her mind: broad, heavy, with a thick black beard. Lanvaroks and axes.

"In fact, they just recruited a handful of strong Force-users in the Unknown Regions. We tried to stop them, but no luck. Although we did get back a Jedi they'd kidnapped." She felt a shadow pass over her face. "When we're done here, I'm going to make some calls. There's some good people we can bring in on this - they're kinda Jedi, kinda not, but they're decent folks." After eight years in a temporal distortion, she wasn't sure if she could call Ember and his wife Jedi anymore, when the connection had been so tenuous before - Brembla because she'd never associated with the Order, Ember because he'd become something totally different, a blend of Dathomiri and Keetael and White Current that quite frankly terrified her. But they knew a good bit about some of the Cult's people; maybe they'd be able to leave the Jade Empire. Or maybe Halla would be interested. Or some of the Patriots.

"There's a few possible next targets listed on here," she said. "Any idea how solid those possibilities are?"

kashus_Draith
I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:29 pm

A lone ship appears just outside of Onderanian space, traveling at sub-light speed. They let the local government pick up their signal as one of the crew in the mysterious ship shoots a holo-transmission to the local security force and to the Jedi temple on the main planet of Onderan.

"I am an emissary of the Brotherhood of the Force. I come bearing news that will greatly help you in your endeavors in the search for the famed Sivter, of the Cult of Shadows. I seek your past leader, Master Jedi Daer'Gunn, and ask for a private audience with this man. We assure you, we come in peace."

After a short moment, the Brotherhood ship is granted landing clearance at the Jedi Temple. As they approuched the Jedi Temple the Brotherhood ship was flanked by Mandalorian and Jedi Fighters as it proceeded toward the specific landing coordinates that the Jedi specifically gave them. The Jedi nor the Mandalorians were going to let their guard down with this ship even if they did state they came in peace.

(OOC: It short and rushed but I think it will do. it might be tomorrow before I post again, so this gives people time to respond and so forth)

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:44 am

Jonji stiffened when the former Grand MAster of the order used his first name, there were very few people in the order that even knew it let alone were close enough to him to use it so casually, but what he had to say was important and so he pushed onward,

"Yes sir," he replied stifly, "It's about Master Vos sir, I have some very deep concerns about him that I think the council needs to hear. I believe sir he's planning to go after the Cult and I think sir he's planning to join up with the Imperials do it. I've known him sir longer than just about anyone else in the order outside his wife and this is not the Devon we all knew before he disappeared. Something happened to him out there and now he's walking dangerously close to the edge and I don't need to tell you what might happen if he fell over it."

Jonji stopped and waited, he knew that the two of them had spoken shortly after his arrival on the planet but he had no way of knowing how much Devon had divulged to the man...

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:30 am

"You felt that too huh? Of course you would have. Sorry I am a little scattered at the moment. I understand your concern and when Devon came and talked to me, we came to an understanding. I knew that no matter what said, he would have left anyway. There was no way I could make him stay any longer than what he wanted to and I will admit that while we talked I felt a small tremor in the Force. He is traveling down a dangerous path. However, the Jedi Order and the Empire have come to an understanding. Thrawn is nothing like the leaders of old and, dare I say it, has brought a sense of honor to the Imperials. Not saying a I agree with them still but it is becoming 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' type of situations. The Imperials know of the Cult and have tried to move against them. Failure is not an option for Thrawn and who knows, maybe Devon was drawn to them or them to him? I really don't know and the Force is clouded from me when I seek it's guidance on Master Vos."

He was about to take another breath when the comm on his belt beeped.

"This is Daer'Gunn."

"Sir we have a message for you from a spaceship that belongs to the Brotherhood of the Force."

Daer'Gunn looked at Jonji and looked back at the comm.

"Let's hear it." He said back.

"I am an emissary of the Brotherhood of the Force. I come bearing news that will greatly help you in your endeavors in the search for the famed Sivter, of the Cult of Shadows. I seek your past leader, Master Jedi Daer'Gunn, and ask for a private audience with this man. We assure you, we come in peace."

Daer'Gunn closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. When he exhaled all of his tiredness was completely gone. The adrenaline and the help of the Force had wiped it completely from him. His eyes were focused again on the task at hand.

"Understood, where are they now?"

"Landing pad four-c. We already have guards in place sir."

"Tell the guards to back down, they came in peace and I am not feeling any hostility from them. I will be there shortly." He clipped the comm back to his belt and looked up at Jonji again.

"The enemy of my enemy. Interesting, cause they were never really 'enemies' but close enough. Let's go, I think you might get something out of this as well."

The two Jedi made their way to the landing bay and waited outside the ship. There were some Jedi guardians waiting to see what would happen including some Mandalorian protectors. Daer'Gunn raised his hand and all of the weapons came down into a resting position. Now, they jsut waited for the emissary to come speak to them.

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:31 am

Jonji Jonji glanced at Darien as he and the Grand Master swept down the hallway, it didn't take more than a glance for the two men to communicate these days, Darien had quickly said his goodbyes to the trio he was speaking with, which included his younger sister, and had excused himself falling in right behind him as the two masters swept past the younger knights...

Kali Vos nodded to her brother as the two older Jedi swept by and Uncle Jonji nodded, she wasn't quite as in sync as the two of them were but she knew the look when she saw it, and when she glanced at her companions they both nodded and gave it back, the three of them trundling along at a fair enough distance, when they came to a stop near the pad with the ship on it, one of a type Kali had not seen before Fini Mar'row filled in the blank,

"The Brotherhood." he supplied, his brow needling in thought, "Or atleast I think it is. I've heard rumors about them and that one seems to fit the general description of atleast one model they fly."

"THE Brotherhood?" she questioned, Fini nodded, "As in the we'll hunt you down if we think you're a mis-user and kill you Brotherhood?"

Fini nodded at the repetitive question from Kali, he'd spent his own fair share of time out in the galaxy mostly working alone isolated from the Jedi Order off the grid and he hadn't been shy about using the Force, it hadn't taken long for one of the Brotherhood's people to show up, they'd shadowed him for a while and then left him be,

"That would be them, I wonder who they sent and why..."

The Brotherhood and the Order weren't really enemies but they weren't exactly friendly either and this kind of move was very much outside their normal operating procedures if the info he'd gathered since that initial encounter was right...

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 pm

"I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors," Faye replied as she scooped up her datapad again. "There is only one thing connecting Sernpidal with Vorzyd V...," she paused there for added effect. "Kalja Leidias."

As she let that sink in for a moment she took a few nibbles of her food and swallowed, all the while ignoring the urgent tingling in the back of her head. Someone powerful had just landed at the temple, but since she couldn't feel any ill intent from them she felt it was best not to alarm anyone. "The planets by themselves aren't very significant, but Kalja's presence on them made them a priority for the Cult. It's possible whatever planet she's on now will be their next target, provided they're still chasing her. However, it wouldn't be advisable to get caught up with that kind of thinking. Their interest in Kalja could very well be a ruse for something far more sinister."

And if the rumors are to be believed she wouldn't be of much use to them anyway without her powers. Without waiting for a response from Ashin Faye stood suddenly and took up her tray of half eaten food. "If you'll excuse me there's something that needs my attention," she said cryptically before bowing respectfully to them both. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Knight Varanin."

Then she straightened up and nodded her head to Ashin's apprentice. "Temap," she said simply before she turned and left them both sitting at the table with puzzled expressions. Faye dropped off her unfinished food at a nearby trash receptacle before leaving the mess and heading towards the hangar bay. She didn't acknowledge anyone on her way there and even went so far as to ignore a plea or two for her attention. When she arrived at the hangar she immediately recognized Daer'Gunn standing next to a man she wasn't very familiar with.

"It seems the temple has been having no shortage of strange visitors lately," she said to Daer'Gunn as she came up to stand beside him.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Ashin and Temap exchanged glances and shrugged. Something, apparently, was up. Neither was in the mood for whatever was going on: that much, they could tell about each other. So they shrugged again and headed for their rooms.

It was just as well: Ashin had a call to make.

The camp sprawled around a bend in the fast-flowing river. The shores weren’t half as well guarded as the rest of the perimeter: that river was too dangerous to risk, even for one truly set on escape. Jagged rocks broke the muddy surface at intervals, interspersed with rapids, whorls and small waterfalls. And it was deep.

Eighteen women sat on the damp ground near the river’s rocky edge. The mood ranged from somber to panic: though they’d been captured only minutes ago, there were some who knew better than others what they could expect. These particular pirates – their ship crashed in a heap in the centre of camp – already had a reputation. A track record, since they landed on this basically undefended little planet two weeks ago.

The pirates still ran about, finishing the lockdowns and loot transport and security and logistics that kept them safe from the wildlife and any husbands, fathers or brothers who might get ‘ideas.’ But as they finished their procedures, most had a swagger to their gait that the women watching them could see clearly. Most watched the women back.

Two of the outlaws approached the women, their faces more intent than the others. They singled out one, a young Nautolan female in curious brown robes, but they didn’t make her stand. She watched them with the blank stare of her kind.

“So there’s another one of you out there, Apprentice.” The first pirate to speak also seemed to be the one in command – his hat, at the very least, testified to it. “Someone named Skywalker. Your Master won’t get anywhere near here.” He spun a straight metal cylinder between his fingers. “Different first name from the Big One, but I’ll assume he looks kinda similar.” She said nothing, projecting not dignity but fear barely checked. His gaze sharpened. “What’s your name, little fish?”

“Suur.”

“All right, Suur. Do your Jedi thing and let your Master know that if he tries anything, he’s dead. Got it?”

They left a few seconds later. Turning away too quickly, the pirate in charge didn’t see the look that came over the Nautolan’s face.

On the other hand, he wouldn’t have understood it if he did. He was only a few seconds away when half a dozen guards yelped behind him. He was still turning around to tell them to shut it when something big splashed into the river.

The last thing he saw before a flying blaster caught him squarely in the right temple was the Nautolan girl’s face, from a distance, without any trace of submission or fear.

The flying blasters followed the women across the rocks that bridged the river. At the Nautolan’s barked orders, several of them snatched the blasters out of the air and used them for cover fire. They needn’t have bothered: the only pirates nearby were out cold and the rest had tents or sheds or speeders in their way.

The women disappeared into the trees.

Kali Suur Skywalker woke up smiling. Finally – a good dream, a good memory. Both luxuries, since the Xen’Chi.

It took her a few seconds to realize what had woken her: her comlink. Certainly not daylight, though that poured through her window. She’d gotten into the Temple so late last night (well, so early this morning) that she’d thoroughly intended to keep sleeping as long as necessary.

The call was brief: a friend, one of the Jedi Guardians she’d sparred with since before they were both knighted. He and some others of his ilk were headed for docking bay Four-C. Apparently, something was up.

She’d slept in her robes, and for that she was thankful. She was also thankful that she had no hair to brush. Clipping her saber to her belt, she headed out at the most dignified trot she could imagine.

Several Jedi Guardians and Mandalorians were already there, as well as Masters Daer’Gunn and Faye Ward – both of whom she knew mostly by reputation. As a long-serving member of the Jedi Order, she’d run into both before, Daer’Gunn more than Ward, but only incidentally.

Kali wasn’t a Guardian, but that didn’t stop her from going to stand with the friend who’d called her, some distance from the Masters or the ship touching down.

“Fill me in,” she said quietly. The other – a Weequay Knight named Bisshk – nodded. Neither looked away from the ship. “Some group called the Brotherhood of the Force sent a delegation or a rep or something; I guess they asked to speak with Master Daer’Gunn. So we came, just in case.” He indicated the other Guardians. “But he had us and the Mandos stand down. Then you got here. Now we’re waiting for the hatch to open.”

“Oh, very dry,” she retorted. “Thank you for the comprehensive briefing, Jedi Bisshk.”

“Any time, Jedi Skywalker.” The Weequay snorted. “I never get tired of your last name.”

kashus_Draith
I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:43 am

With a sudden crack and hiss from the landing ramp. It slowly opened, revealing three people at the top of the ramp. A tall slender woman with standard Brotherhood attire stood hooded with two armed guards flanking both sides of her. The guards were dressed in Acolyte armor which very close to Coruscant Guard armor but was gray with a light blue tint to it. They also wore hoods that covered their faces. As the woman proceeded down the ramp the two guards followed in step. As they made it to the bottom they walked over to where Daer'Gunn and his liaisons were standing. They stopped right in front of them and the female flipped her hood off, revealing her face. The other two guards did likewise.

The woman had natural beauty but her youth had escaped her through time a great sorrow, but what made the woman unique was her eyes. They were eyes of an experienced woman; someone that has seen great atrocities and has lived through them, but it was her eyes that captured her past beauty.

With a warm smile the older woman spoke; "I am Andria Cain, Paladin of the Brotherhood of the Force. I come bearing news, but most of all, I come in hopes for an alliance between our two factions." Andria shot her piecing gaze at Daer'Gunn and no one else. She new who the man was and new of his exploits. A strong jedi who probably would have made a great Paladin for the Brotherhood.

=-=-=-=-=

Raven heard the news and rushed over to the landing pad where the Brotherhood members had landed. As she made her way she was unable to make it to the landing pad but made it to one of the balconies that over looked it. She saw the ship that the Brotherhood members came in on and Jedi that surrounded it. The ships was a Velox-class Corvette.

"Who's the Brotherhood?" A Jedi asked.

"Who knows but they want to speak with Master Daer'Gunn." Another Jedi replied.

Raven knew who they were, but she kept her mouth shut.

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:00 pm

"I am Andria Cain, Paladin of the Brotherhood of the Force. I come bearing news, but most of all, I come in hopes for an alliance between our two factions."

Daer'Gunn bowed the lady but never taking his eyes off her or her guard. He stood up to his full height and greeted her.

"I am Master Daer'Gunn and it is with a welcome heart that you are accepted." He raised his hand and the Guardians and Mandalorians stood down completely. "Let us go to one of our conference rooms and discuss the reasons that have brought you here."

Daer'Gunn stepped aside and motioned for them to follow his lead to the main temple. As they walked, he hated to be out in front of them. All this grand standing and fluff just so they could talk. He would rather the guards leave and then himself and Andria Cain would sit down at a small table with a cup of caff. That was his style but the pomp and circumstance of other races and or sects must be pacified.

Once in the room, Andria had the guards wait at the door. The room was beautifully decorated with plants and flowers from many difference planets in the solar system. Some changed colors in the morning depending on the light that came through the window, others had wonderful smells that did not overwhelm but all move in unison with the world around them. That is something that Daer'Gunn had always wanted the temple to be. The Jedi and the Temple should be on with their surroundings, not fighting against it and overtaking it.

He tossed those thoughts aside and offered the head place at the small table to his guest. Instead of sitting on the other end of the table, he took the chair one away from her. He took a deep breath and cleared his head one last time before they began.

"It's good to finally meet someone from the Brotherhood. I hope this is not just an alliance of convenience but one that will last a very long time."

Mandalore_The_Uniter
DX Army Cadet

Post by Mandalore_The_Uniter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:24 pm

"You belong to me!" an Evil Voice Said, as a Whip cracked against young skin "all of you, body, and Soul, and you will learn the Price of trying to Escape me!"
Alliera Screamed herself awake....and Curled up into a cormer of the Bunk, Sobbing....

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:15 pm

As Daer'Gunn and Cain left the docking bay, with the Brotherhood guards and a few others behind them, Kali nudged Bisshk in the ribs. The tall Weequay grunted. "Looks like you Guardians got all dressed up for nothing," she said. He grunted again. "Well, if it were up to you Consulars, we'd all be dead by now. You just don't have the-"

Kali elbowed him again, a little harder. "Was that a challenge? You haven't been doing so well lately - I heard Ol'oolin got you a good one a few days back."

Bisshk shook his head. "Ahh, and she promised she wasn't going to tell anyone...you just can't trust a Consular these days."

Kali chuckled and shook her head. "You don't want to mess with me today, Bisshk. You know what a Sith I am when I don't get enough sleep."

"Go back to sleep, then. Gather your energy, 'cause I've been brushing up on my Djem So and you're going to need it."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:34 am

Rissk was alone in one of the training rooms. Ethan had been forced to vanish again to deal with 'who knew what' and Arice had gone off his ship to collect some electronics parts. She was practicing a Shotan sword form Arice had tried to teach her before he left, moving around with deliberate movements, striking and blocking against an imaginery opponent.

She was beginning to come to the conclusion, that despite being an excellent teacher and one of the nicest people she recalled meeting - being Ethan's apprentice was possibly somewhat challenging. It was probably the same for any student apprenticed to a Master of some esteem - having a less experienced, skillful and patient Master that wasn't so important could be a good thing...

Swishing her blue bladed sabre around in arcs and moving lightly on her feet at the same time she was telling herself not to think about this. She was supposed to be focusing on this form - it didn't seem as good a practice as against a live opponent, but in the absence of one it was probably helping to generate muscle memory and the blade was beginning to feel more comfortable and naturl in her hand. She'd been through the form many times now, attacking with force on each strike - she was panting heavily.

Rissk was eventually interrupted by the swish of the door opening. Arice entered, "Rissk, how's it coming along?" she glared at him, "Hmmph! Tiringly! What have you been doing?! You've been gone for ages! Tsk!" Arice smirked, "Well, I have ben back to the asteroid base near Coruscant - and it took me a while to find the parts I wanted once I was there. I made this fo you on the journey back though."

As he spoke he handed to her an intricate, technological looking pendant with a necklace, "It's actually a disguised tracking unit, which uses the frequency of nearby machines to amplify it's signal - almost anywhere you could go in the galaxy I could probably find you - eventually." She took it and hung it around her neck, looking somewhat angry, "Tsk, hmmph! Well, I'm not plannig on going anywhere! Have you seen Ethan?!" Arice shook his head softly, "I don't know where he's gone, shall we spar again?"

Rissk put her real sabre to one side and passed Arice a training sabre, taking one for herself. Slowly they started circling, Rissk struck first, a sharp overhead flick - fast as it was Arice ducked and skipped side ways and flicked a shot up at Rissk's shoulder. It stung and de-activated Arice's blade - which he reignited, "Stop thinking about it and trying to fight using your strength, feel the force, act on instinct." She glared, then relaxed and tried to focus, the next strike was more fluid and it followed with a combination of arcing, slashing strikes, which Arice moved back elegantly to block. As the attack subsided Arice pressed forwards, forcing Rissk to block and retreat, as she blocked one he held a hand out and gave her a gently force shove, causing her to topple backwards, "Ooomph! Grrrr, that wasn't fair!"

Arice lowered his blade allowing her to climb back to her feet, "You don't have a reputation for fighting fair either Rissk, duelling with lightsabres doesn't have rules - it has tactics , much like fighting people with a blaster - the rule is defend yourself and to disarm your opponent. Jedi and Sith will often use things other than the lightsabre to win - you have to learn to counter it. Think of a force push as being pushed by will, to stop yourself being pushed over brace yourself against it with your will - try again."

Again they circled, Arice strode in with a flurry of attacks, ending with a gentle force shove, Rissk threw her will at it as hard as she could, teetered, then toppled backwards, sending her sabre skittling around the floor and landing with a thud. She sat up and growled at him, "Grrrr, it's not WORKING!"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:27 am

Faye followed along behind Daer'Gunn and the Brotherhood emissary. She said nothing to either of them but her displeasure at the current turn of events was clearly written on her face. She couldn't believe Daer'Gunn had just invited three unknown Forcers deeper into the temple amongst all the Jedi Trainees but it was not her place to tell him what to do. She knew he was trusting them as a sign of respect but that did little to appease her irrational fears. With everything that's been happening lately even a little bit of precaution would seem appropriate.

Once they had arrived at an empty conference room Daer'Gunn went inside alone with Andria Cain while her two guards stayed outside. Faye stood guard outside as well, but her attention was on the two Brotherhood bodyguards. She hoped the two of them wouldn't cause any trouble, but if they tried she was determined to be there to stop them.

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed one of the men giving her a strange look. "You'll have to forgive me if I'm not as trusting as Master Daer'Gunn," she apologized, "It's a failing of mine, I'm afraid, but with the recent attacks on our temple I believe it is warranted."

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 am

Jonji Fawkes the exchange between the other Jedi master and the brotherhood types who were like them left standing outside the room where Dear'gunn and the lead Brotherhood Paladin had gone, he'd heard that this Master Faye had been with the order when it had setup shop on Coursaunt a couple years ago before the Empire had made it's big comeback but he didn't have any direct memories of her. Granted that wasn't surprising to him since he and Darien had always spent the majority of thier time in the field, this stay at the temple was the longest stretch of time he'd spent at any of the Jedi temples in his lifetime, the sitting around waiting was really starting to grate on him. He glanced back over his shoulder and found his padawan now sitting calmly back to the wall one knee pulled up with the other leg splayed out in front of him, he was tinkering with his lightsabre again. The boy had defiantly inherited more than just his father's talent with the Force,

"Is that weapon going to forever be a work in progress?" he asked quietly stooping down into a squat resting his elbows on his knees. The boy looked up and smiled,

"Life is a work in progress Master and if the lightsabre is an extension of our being, why should they also not be one as well?"

Jonji smiled, he'd never really thought about it like that but it was true, from a certain point of view, with an extension of his fingers his own weapon detached from his belt and floated into his hand as he settled back onto the floor crossing his legs,

"So how would you modify my blade?" he asked holding it out to the younger jedi...

Darien studied the weapon resting on his master's outstretched hand then finished the last little tweak to his own blade's width adjustment and then put it away and took his master's weapon, the outer casing was an almost solid piece of plasti-steel, the only openings in the housing was for the external activation switch on the grip side of the weapon, there were no visible external adjustment controls. This didn't surprise him as Master Fawkes had a preference for sleek lines and streamlined performance, his master was about to tell him how to access the controls when he gave the outer casing a little twist on the ring just below the emitter housing then pulled back the outer casing, it slid back approximently a thumb's length revealing the various blade adjustments, he heard Master Fawkes chuckle. He pointed the blade safely away and activated the weapon, he studied the blade, watching the energy patterns pulse through it , listening to it's thrum, testing it's back and forth flick and then killed it,

"The blade is well aligned," he finally spoke, "and for most general practitioners it would be perfect, but for your particular style master I would thin up the blade a little since you don't heavily rely on blaster deflection that will help with blade speed some."

He turned the small width adjustment on the weapon to the left and then sealed the housing back up and handed it back to his master...

Jonji took the weapon and then ignited the blade testing it with several quick wrist flicks and then smiled,

"It's probably all in my head but it does feel quicker."

The younger Jedi gave him a short respectful nod and then pulled out a data pad and leant back against the wall again and returned to reading, Jonji himself smiled, he'd spent countless hours tweaking his swoops back in his childhood but he'd never really considered tweaking his lightsabre in the same manner, as he settled the device back on his belt several ideas were already bubbling up in the back of his mind, a broad grin spread across his face and he too pulled out his datapad, pulling up the remote archive search interface he keyed in lightsabre crystals...

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:01 pm

“So, how are things working out with the new apprentice?” Ehlana Voss asked, “Is she as much of a handful as I was?”

“Is that even possible?” Ethan grinned at his daughter.

Ehlana made a stabbing motion over her heart. “You cut me deep, daddy. Such barbed comments to your beloved daughter!”

“Melodrama? Is that one of the new skills you’ve picked up while roaming the galaxy?” he raised an eyebrow in perfect impersonation of his wife.

Ehlana’s face cracked into a wide smile, revealing a row of slightly crooked, yet perfectly white teeth. “Actually it’s a skill I picked up off you, after observing the regular verbal sparing sessions you and mum have. You tend to revert to melodrama as your last defence against her.”

“And does it ever work?”

Ehlana winced and shook her head.

“Didn’t think so,” Ethan sighed.

“Your other tactic is distraction,” his daughter carried on matter-of-factly, “Now stop trying to change the subject and tell me about Rissk.”

Ethan screwed his face up into a mock scowl. Despite sharing Ethan’s auburn hair and green eyes, she could do a more than passable imitation of Caitlin when she wanted to, yet for all that she was still her father’s daughter. “All right I give in, I’ll let you interrogate me.”

Eyes bright, Ehlana rolled her hand in an over the top gesture for him to continue.

Ethan hesitated only a moment before beginning, just long enough to make sure that the small meditation garden where he and Ehlana had hidden themselves for the afternoon was free of any eavesdroppers. “She is a handful, but it’s not her I’m having a problem with, it’s me.”

“You? How come, you and mum trained me fine?”

“Actually that’s a matter of opinion,” he jested, but rather than the scowl he would have received from his wife, his daughter merely gave him an indulgent smile. She knew him too well. “You were different, you seemed to pick things up quicker, develop more naturally. Hell it was all we could do to keep up with your training half the time, you’d learn things on your own and more than once we had to hold you back in your development. Rissk is… different.”

“Is she weaker than me in the Force?”

Ethan shook his head. “Not particularly.”

“Then is it because she’s older, more set in her ways?”

Is it that, Ethan had often wondered to himself? Or was he simply not teaching her the right things? She was eager to learn, to develop, yet progress was slow going, and her frustration with herself didn’t always help. Not that Trandoshan’s had a monopoly on getting frustrated with themselves, he was often as not frustrated with himself.

“Maybe,” he shrugged. “Maybe it’s me. It feels so strange to be teaching… like this.”

“Like this?”

Ethan stood up, hands outstretched, his dark blue robes billowing out as he spun around to encompass the meditation garden. “This… the meditation gardens, the sparing rooms, the Temple. It’ so… organised.”

Ehlana laughed suddenly, standing up and taking her father’s arms. “Is that what’s really bothering you? The Temple?”

“Yes, No, I don’t know.” He ran a hand through his greying hair. “It’s the structure, I guess. Having to come up with lesson plans, and field trips, and… it’s not what I’m used to. When you were growing up, when we were teaching you, we were constantly on the move, running, hiding, fighting. This calm is… strange.”

“Calm? With all that’s been going on here of late you call that calm?”

“Compared to a lot of your childhood…” Ethan thought about if for a moment, “Well yes.”

“Okay,” Ehlana pursed her lips, “Then stop trying to teach Rissk how you think she should be taught and simply teach her.”

Ethan cocked his head to the side, a confused look on his face. He hadn’t understood a word that had just come out of his daughter’s mouth.

“Don’t plan her lessons, don’t use the meditation rooms, the sparing rooms. Teach her by example. Teach her by having her observe you, and if that means leaving the Temple, then leave the Temple for a while. It’ll still be here when you get back.”

I hope.

Ehlana could not of course have heard his whispered thoughts, but another one of her indulgent smiles told him she knew well enough what he was thinking. For a moment father and daughter simply looked at each other, and Ethan was struck in particular by how much growing up she had done in the past few years and how proud of her he was right at this moment.

He would have told her so too, yet right then both Voss’s felt a strange ripple pass through the Force. The feeling was familiar enough to know that there was a new arrival at the Temple, yet alien enough that Ethan could not be sure if they were entirely friendly.

Ehlana’s eyes widened as she reached out to try and locate the source of the disturbance she’s felt. “Fascinating.”

“Jedi… but not?” Ethan gave voice to their shared thought.

“An outsider?”

“Seems so,” he nodded. “However there’s only one way to be sure, shall we?”

Ehlana smiled and extended her hand. Ethan gave a small laugh and grasped his daughters hand and together the pair of them left the meditation garden in search of the strange new arrivals to the Temple.

Several minutes later Ethan and Ehlana approached the group of three people gathered outside one of the Temple’s conference rooms. He was careful to approach, making sure that the two strangers dressed in grey armour could sense his approach. He found he wasn’t surprised to see Faye Ward standing guard over them. She always had taken the security of the temple very seriously.

“Master Ward,” he smiled in greeting, “I see we have visitors, what’s going on?”

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 pm

"An emissary from an organization calling themselves the 'Brotherhood of the Force' has arrived," Faye explained and though she was talking to Ethan she kept her eyes on the two Brotherhood members standing in front of her. "Apparently they've come to negotiate an alliance with the Jedi Order, though I'm not really sure that's possible at the moment with the Jedi lacking any form of central leadership at the temple. Unfortunately, none of us here have the authority to sign a treaty with another organization, so they may have come a long way for nothing."

In spite of how blunt that may have sounded Faye had somehow managed to keep her tone level. She didn't sound condescending when she spoke, though sometimes her words had a tendency of coming out that way. She didn't waste effort in trying to flower things up like a politician might she simply stated the facts, that was all she was interested in.

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:44 am

"Now that's interesting," Ethan mused out loud, studying the so far impassive faces of the two Brotherhood guards. Interesting and more than a little worrying. "Now why would the Brotherhood suddenly want an alliance with the Jedi? I'll admit I don't know much about The Brotherhood of the Force, but why would an organisation that has previously hidden itself from us suddenly reveal themselves."

He glanced pointedly at the two guards, unsurprisingly neither chose to comment.

"Well I don't know about you, Master Ward, but I'm dying to know what's motivated this 'alliance.'"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:49 am

I'm less concerned about their motivations and more concerned about what their intentions are, Faye thought quietly to herself. "I concur, Master Voss," she said aloud, "but I'm sure Master Daer'Gunn will fill us in if it's important that we should know."

Technically, she had just lied to him but it was unnecessary to voice her concerns allowed. It was already readily apparent from her actions and her tone of voice that she didn't altogether trust their newest friends. Saying what she was thinking would have only been redundant at this point.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:40 am

Arice and Rissk had now given up their sparring session. Despite the greatest patience and care - Arice had not been able to get Rissk to resist a force push, use a force push or a force pull or anything similar. In fact he was strting to doubt his abilities as a teacher and wonder whether he wasn't doing anyone any favours - seeking an apprentice of his own. As they walked through the corridors he tried to explain, "Rissk, using the force is a leap of faith - I know you are capable of using the force." Rissk glared at him angrily, "Hmmph! Show's what you know! Why isn't it working then?!"

Arice shrugged at this, not slowing his step, "You may believe you can do it, you may desperately want to and try really hard to... The secret is KNOWING that you WILL do it and not having to put any effort in. It's all in your mind and your feelings and the force... Once you get it, something will click... Oh, here's Master Ethan.."

The atmosphere was very tense, Arice could sense an unfamiliar force presence faintly. His ability to fight with a lightsabre didn't seem impaired, nor did his ability to do force pushes and pulls. However his lack of ability to teach Rissk anything, and the fact that he appeared to still lack the accute force senses he was sure he'd had all those years ago. He positioned himself so he was facing Master Ethan and Master Ward, "Ethan, Master Voss - I don't feel I'm able to teach Rissk very much, and I think my connection to the force - though improved is still very weak." Rissk rolled her eyes at Arice, "Hmmph! He's been trying to explain it - but nothing works! Tsk!" Arice then turned the woman, he remembered her from the cantina. At the time, the suggestion of becoming somebody's padawan, had horrified him somewhat - but why? He'd missed the force, and so much of being a Jedi was about humility, throwing his pride out of the air-lock was surely something he had to do. She looked younger than he was, but she appeared to have something of a reputation... And he needed to regain his ability with the force, for some reason he sensed a troubled future and havng full mastery of the force was going to be required to survive - he felt sure...

"Master Ward, my shoulder is still not fully healed, but it is useable now. I would like to ask something a little unorthodox of you. I wish to renounce my knighthood, and become a padawan again, as soon as I can find a Master- If you would consider taking an old, but willing to learn Zabrak as an apprentice, I would gladly serve as yours."

There, he'd done it... It was a wild, hastily chosen path, but it felt right. It felt like he was fulfilling the will of the force.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Faye's attention was finally distracted. She stopped watching the two Brotherhood guards and turned to look at Arice, blinking in surprise. A padawan? Me? She hadn't had a padawan for so long now ever since she took over as blade instructor for the Jedi. There were just far too many students that required her attention for her to be able to focus on just one. Even though Arice had had training before she still felt it wouldn't be fair to him if she couldn't give him her undivided attention. She also felt that this sudden request of his was being made mostly out of self-pity. His connection to the Force had improved by leaps and bounds since his arrival, but his apparent failures with Rissk seem to have shaken his resolve.

"Mr. Quinn, as delighted as I would be to take you as my padawan I fear I must decline," she finally said aloud. Arice was crestfallen but before he could say anything Faye continued. "Your situation is not yet desperate enough for you to make rash decisions."

He looked confused by that so she tried to explain. "You may not have noticed, Mr. Quinn, but your presence in the Force has grown stronger since your arrival. As for your inability to use it just give it some time. The most important part of commanding the Force is faith, if you're going to do something then you need to know it's going to work otherwise nothing happens. You've been out of touch with the Force for a long time, Mr. Quinn, but you still remember your training. Have more faith in yourself and your powers will return to you in time."
Last edited by Pryde on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandalore_The_Uniter
DX Army Cadet

Post by Mandalore_The_Uniter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:59 pm

after a couple of minutes of Sobbing, Alliera got out of her Bunk, Changing into a Simple While Shirt, Brown Cargo pants, and the Boots from her Jedi Outfit...
Alliera knew she couldn't go back to bed now, so she went to the Caffeteria, and Picked up the Strongest Cup of Caff they could Give her, asnd started stalking the halls, idley taking in the sights....
when she reached the Hall that the Brotherhood Gaurds were in, she heard Arice and Faye's Exchange, and Smiled Bitterly, as she Took anouther Drink of The Caff in her hands...
"I wish i could tell you things can always get worse." Alliera said to Arice, Leaning against the Wall near one of the Gaurds "But, I've been to a Place where things couldn't Get worse"