And to the very walls of Hell

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Halcyon508

Re: And to the very walls of Hell

Post by Halcyon508 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Mikhail followed Rach's lead and lunged at Seren. He couldn't turn to the darkside, he couldn't! Seren wanted him to turn for Benna's sake, but in his heart he knew that for her sake he could not! He slashed at the large man who easily deflected. "Get away from her!" He yelled stepping in between Benna and Seren. As the corpse of a man raised his hand Mikhail started to glow slightly. Energy radiated from his body and shined like the light of a star. "You will not hurt her!" He said defiantly.

Samanthe didn't waste time before she renewed her assualt on Iara. "Do you want me to tell you what you're boyfriends last thoughts were before he died!" Samanthe yelled. "He thought of you, alive and well...." She sliced low and then high with her wrist blades using both weapons to attack at once. "If only he knew you too would die!"

The former assassin, Jace, moved over to Benna and kneeled over her. She seemed fine, "I need you to be strong." Jace said as Valkner aproached. "I need you to be strong for Mikhail." Jace left the girl and threw himself at the man....

Seren raised his hands against the light. His helmet had no eyeholes to shield. The light hammered at him, drove him back; it was directed at him specifically, leaving the other Darksiders free to continue their assault more or less freely. He fell to one knee. "Condemned to...burn for Sirena's will, is it, boy? Or did you think I asked to be like this, so vulnerable to...your light?"

Iara snarled and gestured at a nearby rack of boxes. The assassin could frustrate her blade-to-blade, but Iara intended to see if Samanthe had the depth of experience necessary to prevent a Consular-style Force manifestation. Boxes of machine parts battered the tattooed assassin, despite her nimbleness and frankly inspired blocking.

Valkner smiled at Jace. "I'll get back to your friend. You'll do for now, little one." He gestured and Jace rose into the air, choking. For the second time this fight, Ashin put Rach Kol-Rekali through a wall. And for the second time, he picked himself back up and launched himself at her with a wordless roar. The droids were pieces; Quorl, injured, swooped to help Jace but was batted aside by a casual exercise of Valkner's will. Serek Brin - likewise injured - started firing into the back of the kneeling Seren Mordavo.

Radiant light caused a glare around the boy. He had seen his older brother use the same technique, but he’d never used it before. It felt just like it had at the valley, as if his body was acting of its own accord to protect itself and its friends. Mikhail saw Jace in trouble. He was single handedly holding off one of the most powerful Sith he had ever seen, and yet… The blond boy struggled to turn his light instead shining it on Valkner.

Seren was down on one knee, backplate smoking as he shuddered under the impact of the blasterfire. The light weakened him, weakened this nigh-indestructible body. He found himself...annoyed.

The Anzati struggled against it being suffocated and dropped Jace. The dark haired boy fell hard onto the ground and got up retrieving his lightsaber. He ignited the blade and jumped over Mikhail as Seren sliced down with his saber. “You should have let him finish me Mikky.” Jace said struggling under the weight of Seren’s blade. Without realizing what he was doing Mikhail launched himself backwards and jumped over Jace and Seren behind him, while in midair a burst of light knocked both Valkner and Seren to the ground and aside giving the two a quick reprieve.

Samanthe stumbled as the boxes of parts smashed into her. “You will die!” Samanthe said raising her hands. The woman shunted the pain away and charged forward. As a box moved to intercept her she jumped into the air and spun dodging the remnants and slamming into Iara full force.

Valkner tumbled with the light's impact, cursing in a high-fluid voice. The two Masters of the Dark Side picked themselves up and exchanged a grim nod - not of friendship, barely of common cause, but expressing the thing they'd both begun to sense: that the boy's frightening power was burning itself out. And so they did nothing. Even when Jace moved to strike Valkner, the Anzati kept him at bay but did no more...waiting for Mikhail's radiance to wane.

Iara lanced her blade down the inside of Samanthe's, nearly burning off her hand. At the last instant, as the assassin plowed into her, the gauntlet-sabre deactivated, and Iara's blade skidded by along Samanthe's forearm. Then the tattooed woman was on her, whaling on her with hammerfists and elbows. Ashin, weakned from the backwash of the Force Light, defended herself against Rach - who didn't look too well himself. Not enough control of his anger, apparently, like that was a surprise. She'd always known he had a darker side.

The melee swept across the building. Serek found himself tending to the wounded rangers. All but one of the Rangers had suffered burns, lacerations, and one was bleeding internally. He watched in awe as the Jedi and Sith attacked one another. He had met forcers in the past, fought a few of them and defeated a few more, but this was something different. Serek was in awe watching Mikhail…

The boy had won a small victory against the two Sith Masters, but he didn’t even know… well anything. He didn’t know how he was winning, he didn’t know what he was doing, and he didn’t know how long it would hold up. He doubted it would be long. As his confidence faded so did the light.

Seren saw his opening and attacked, not Mikhail but Benna. He lunged at the girl on the ground arms and cloak set wide. Mikhail looked over at him and ignoring everything else moved to intercept. Extending a hand he lashed out with a shining light which pierced the creature everywhere it touched. Lances of white penetrated the creatures robes as Mikhail approached him, Mikhail didn’t stop moving until he stood directly over Benna.

As the light shined on the zombie Jace snuck in behind and stabbed him deep in the back with his lightsaber. A scream was heard as light penetrated the rotten sewn together body. Light erupted from him like lava from a volcano and the flesh slowly dissipated into dust and ash.

Jace watched as Seren was disintegrated before his eyes. He watched as the body withered and a dark ominous cloud slowly shot out and fled the building, no doubt retreating to his mistress’s side. Jace didn’t have time to give his mothers machinations thought. Mikhail had expended too much energy and fell gently on top of Benna spent. Gently moving Mikhail next to Benna Jace said, “I’ll hold them now.” He turned to see Valkner smiling back at him. No doubt the man saw an opportunity with Seren gone to deflower the boy and devour his soup.

Mikhail barely conscious turned to Benna, “I won’t let the monsters hurt you…” he said softly with a wheeze to his voice.

With the light gone, Ashin relaxed and sighed. Rach eyed her, then broke away and ran to stand by his sister. "Benna - are you...Force, Benna, I was so busy, I didn't see..." He set his stance as Valkner approached. "Two boys...I've been fighting boys all evening. You're not bad yourself, my lanky Knight." Then the Anzati's eyes darted past their shoulders, and Ashin Varanin stepped up beside them.

"It's contrary to my orders to let you have your way with the boys, Valkner."

Rach trembled with the need to strike her down - she'd betrayed him, and his family, by joining the Sith and by following orders to fight against them. But both he and Jace had seen Ashin join in keeping Valkner from getting more than the merest taste of Mikhail's soup.

Valkner sighed. "She'll turn on you any second now," he said, throwing in as much mental influence as he could muster. "She'll cut you down and kill the girl. She's a Sith Lord, and you'd have to be stupidly naive to believe her anything else. She's betrayed friends, oh yes." He worked his metaphorical tendrils farther into the minds of Jace and Rach. "She will kill you all." They turned on her then, Rach and Jace both, sabres flickering out in a high-low combination that had her hard pressed to defend herself. And as they backed her away from Benna, Valkner moved in towards the injured girl. Iara glanced back and saw, but Samanthe was all over her...
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Vaulkner knelt down next to the weakened girl, his hand reaching out towards her. He was inches away from grabbing a fistful of her shirt when the Force warned him of danger. He threw himself backwards as a new Jedi entered the fray. The woman fell to the ground before him, slamming her palm into the duracrete and sending out a powerful telekinetic shock wave that sent him flying. Benna was hit by the wave as well and she was thrown clear of the melee, though her landing had not been a soft one.

"You fight well against children," Keira said, drawing her lightsaber with her right hand and igniting its emerald blade. "Now lets see how you fair against me."

Green lightning coursed down her left arm and she threw it at the Anzat, coursing tendrils of Electric Judgement filled the span between them lashing out at the Sith...

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Mikhail smiled as he saw his sister jump between him, Benna, Jace, and the predetory Anzati. Pride swelled inside of him as the woman goaded and launched sage lightning across the room. Jace moved quickly to help Quorl while he had an opertunity. The large avian being. He never took his eyes of Benna and Mikhail as he helped the Rishi up. Quorl for his own part took to the air and launched himself up and then finding an opportunity dove straight as Ashin lifting her off thr ground and dropping her from a height....

For the first time in a while, Ashin was surprised. When Quorl let her go, she had the option of frying the bird or of taking the moments in midair to do something else on the battlefield. Instead she realized - in the instant that went by as she fell - that with Seren gone, the battle had turned against the Sith. Herself, Valkner and Samanthe Amae remained; against them were the three children, Rach, Quorl, the gunman, the girl tossing lightning, and Iara Beorht.

That made one fresh Knight, one powerful Knight, Rach and Quorl - also a Knight - two skilled Padawans, the gunman, and whatever Mikhail Lytle Sage had turned into. It would be a close fight, and one she had no real desire to win. Besides, she felt another presence impending, a strong one, and not Dark. She landed on a knee and a fist, and the permacrete floor shattered in a shockwave that rearranged the entire warehouse. Racks teetered and toppled. She had no authourity over Valkner and probably none over Samanthe, so she stretched out her hand and Seren Mordavo's empty armour floated to her. She disengaged her lightsabre and walked out. Samanthe kicked Iara back and ran after Ashin, albeit reluctantly. Valkner took stock of the situation...and the ring of Jedi surrounding him. He clenched his fists and lighting arced out in all directions - and then he shot straight up, his mastery of Trispzest and his sheer telekinetic power enabling him to literally fly. His sabre carved a hole in the ceiling in the blink of an eye and he shouldered through without losing momentum.

Quorl could have pursued, however he was in no state to face the Anzati terror alone. Perhaps even without his injuries he couldn't have stood against him for long, it was hard to tell. It mattered little either way, there was more important matters to attend to. He dropped himself next to Mikhail, and Benna, Jace standing over them protectively, and scooped the two up in his wings. "The chicks need to get back to the nest." He said.

Mikhail felt warm in the feathery wings of the large Owl-like creature. He was barely able to keep his eyes open but smiled at Benna cross from them.

Serek for his part started to frantically spread a flammable compound around the warehouse. "All Jedi!" he yelled getting everyone’s attention. "I need you to leave now, while I do what I need to do."

"No!" Jace said running at the man. "We need to look for clues! Remember our goal! Felicity is here on this planet!"

"Kid" Serek said staring at him. "I need you to leave now. There is nasty bussiness to be done and Jedi don't need to be around for it. I will look for clues, and go into their databanks, and force willing I will find your little friend." Serek was used to dealing with his ships Captain, a youth barely older than Jace. "Now get out of here."

The group arrived at the hotel and Quorl desposited Benna and Mikhail on a couch in a sequestered room. Jace stood with them and decided to give them a bit of privacy standing outside the door watching the others gather. He noticed Iara first. She had fought against Max's killer, and hard with resolve. "My master..." Jace said aproaching the woman, "Max, he would want..."He paused for a moment and thought about his words carefully. "You two were close right?" he asked.

"He annoyed the dren out of me when he was cursed," she said. "Proposed marriage to me once or twice, even. But we've fought together so many times..." She couldn't find the energy to do anything more than stare off at nothing. "We were close, yes."

"I'm a little jealous." Jace said. "I never knew him that well." Pausing he looked away and then finally said, "What do you think he would have said, thought if he saw us today?" Then he frowned, "I'd like to think he'd be proud of me, standing up for my friends and fighting off that man. How do you cope with... this... I mean I heard about your husband, how did you manage?" Jace's hands were shaking a little. He was comming down off the adreneline high. "I remember when I first met him... he looked so much like Mikhail I knew instantly they were brothers..."

"He does look exactly like Mikhail. Did." She got ahold of herself. "He never found out exactly what happened to his parents, or how that whole thing happened - how he ended up thinking he was an orphan. And I thought Alu's family history was complicated."

"Mikhail is all I have left." Jace said looking at his feet. "Felicity was taken away, and Max and now Mikhail is all that's left."

"Felicity isn't gone for good," Iara lied firmly, putting a hand on his shoulder. "She's out there somewhere, and we are going to find her. This Bitterroot trail is almost certainly her."

Mikhail looked around the room. He was alone with Benna. She looked bad. No she didn't look bad, she looked adorable, innocent, and well... pretty. "Benna..." Mikhail said to the girl quietly. "I want you to go home." He didn't mean it that way, "Today when we were there... I could have, I almost did, do something I would have regretted forever. I care for you Benna, and I don't want you to get hurt." Pausing he put his hand on hers and gently rubbed it. "Where we're going, it's only going to get worse."

"You're sweet, you know that? Stupid, but sweet. Where'd you get off thinking that you had any authourity over me, any right to tell me I should go home? I'm not afraid. I grew up surrounded by people who wanted to kill me - every day. I've seen more violence than you, been training longer, and apart from the wholly incidental bit about you having a Force nexus inside of you, I'm probably closer to Knighthood." She rested her palm against his cheek. "So no, I'm not going anywhere."

Smiling back at the girl Mikhail couldn't help but feel reassured and calm. "This isn't your fight." He said firmly. "It's my family in trouble, my friend." Mentioning Max might earn him some points, but the truth was even now he doubted his older sibling was truely dead. "Do you know what I would do if anything happened to you?" It was really the same point, he was talking in circles. But there was something else. He couldn't think straight. The touch of Benna's hand against his cheek had cause d a chain reaction through his body. His heart was pumping so fast he was sure she could hear it and his skinw as getting hot. Slowly he leaned in towards her, placing a spare hand on cupping her chin and cheek and kissed her.

For all her combat experience, at age fifteen Benna...lacked experience when it came to boys, except for a couple of'em whose parents had been Cultists, and who'd subsequently tried to kill her. She understood her physiological responses, of course, but still...it had been a long day and...

She kissed him back, hard.

And moved closer.

Fade to black.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 pm

It was some time later when Serek returned to the safe house with Keira in tow. The girl had stuck around trying to find a trail with which to pursue the Sith but unfortunately they were good at hiding their tracks. "We need to discuss our next move," Serek started to say when he came into the room with Iara and Jace.

"Frak the next move," Keira interrupted him, "I'm here for one thing and one thing only. Which one of those Sith was Max's killer?"

Halcyon508

Post by Halcyon508 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 am

As Keira talked Jace listened, but only for so long. "So you care more about your brothers killer?" He yelled loudly, "What about your cousin? What about the person we can still save?" His fists clenched and as he stared down the older woman. She looked like Felicity, the two could be sisters, which of course they were family. No she was nothing like Felicity because... "Felicity wouldn't leave you in captivity!" he shot violently. If Mikhail was there he would have backed him up.
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:44 pm

"Cool your jets, kid," Keira said impatiently, "Felicity's got you looking for her she doesn't need me."

She stood there with her arms crossed over her chest, completely undaunted by Jace's tone of voice.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 pm

"You're both children," Iara said. "Revenge is a child's game, and blaming others for not caring is the easy way out. Yelling at someone is no way to make them care. It just makes them mad, and if there's one thing we need absolutely no more of, it's teenage emotions. If we weren't surrounded by the Empire, I'd send you all back to Ossus right now, and finish the mission on my own."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Keira was indignant, how dare this woman speak to her that way? "This has nothing to do with revenge, Twi'lek," she answered with an off-hand gesture, "I was just spinning my wheels at the temple and hunting this murderer gives me something to do."

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Iara said nothing.

"That," said Rach after a long moment, "was pretty racist for a Jedi Knight. Lethan Twi'leks get enough of a bad rap without that sort of dren. You owe her an apology."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 pm

"She gonna cry a river for me too," Keira asked, giving the boy a pointed look. "I'm not going to apologize for the way I talk. You don't like it that's your problem, not mine."

"That's harsh, Keira," Jace said, a look of disapproval on his face.

Keira just shrugged. "So what? They're just words."

"Words can hurt too, ya know."

"Words are words," Keira asserted, "they can cause no more pain than what you allow. Now a Sith with a lightsaber that can hurt you, hunger can hurt you, being beaten to a bloody pulp just for stealing a loaf of bread can hurt you but calling someone a scruffy-looking nerf herder isn't going to kill them."

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19 am

To Iara, who'd spent her whole life being stereotyped as a Twi'lek girl - brainless, sexually available, an object of lust or rape, fit only to dance or entertain or 'entertain', someone who could never amount to anything, frequently enslaved - being described by her species excited certain...feelings. Which were not wholly charitable.

But even though Iara was very close to pronouncing words that would break the child's bones, she didn't respond.

"Rach, stand down. She wants to be like that, that's her affair. And that's the end of it. This mission is shavvit. We have injured, we have entirely too many children and people who think they aren't, we have no clear next move and we're operating on the very fringes of legality. I'm calling the Jedi Council and recommending you all get sent back to Ossus."

Rach was the first to start shouting at her, but it was not by much. She turned and left, headed for the adjoining room - the one with the computers they'd brought in. She locked the door behind herself and sagged against the wall.

She headed for the holoprojector and started to activate the appropriate monitors...

Intercept.

She stared at that word for a long time. Then she opened the decrypt log and stared at the result for a long time after that.

When she emerged from the room, she waited for the shouting to die down.

"We have a new lead. We're going to Tion. It's confirmed from Bitterroot that the asset has been booked on a starliner to the Tion Cluster. A friend of mine sorted through the holocam feeds from the boarding area. We finally have it confirmed that Felicity Sage is the asset we've been tracking. She's on that starliner.

"Considering we're unlikely to run into another Sith ambush on a starliner, or at least not one that can't be taken care of if necessary, it's safe enough that we'll be able to book several berths. We're too recognizable a group. We'll have to split up, and I think it would be best if some of us take separate passage to Ossus. The choice is yours. I'm responsible for the Padawans on this mission, but enough of you are just over the threshold into Knighthood that I can't give you orders. I'm not calling the Council, because I do think we have a chance here."