Corlabar: Rise of Legend

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Corlabar

Principlaity of Mercuna
Province of Ruvia – Capital City Shadebank

Council Building

Inside the massive Council building voices raged all around growing over time to a dull roar. Tarn Marx massaged his temples as his squeezed his eyes shut trying to will the noise away. Suddenly, a voice cut through the din and brought Tarn back to reality, “Patience, old friend, let the old men grumble for awhile and maybe then we can start getting things done.”

Glancing up and pushing back his long brown hair, Tarn smiled, “I swear Varik, the Dragon Emperor’s troops could be waiting in the antechamber and these men would still be arguing about the same old things.” Varik Cyndri smiled as he leaned back in his Council chair. His short pure white hair and ice blue eyes contrasted deeply with the dark brown hair and complexion of Tarn. “You Ruvians have too much desert in you,” Varik grinned as he patted Tarn’s back, “always getting riled up and swirling about like one of your famous sandstorms.”

“Well at least we like to take action as opposed to you Mericum men,” Tarn retorted, “you’re all as unmoving as those damn glaciers surrounding your castles.”

“You’re both like little children,” a third voice cut in, “no one is as strong or unyielding as the men of Greymoor”

“I swear Blackmane if you fought half as well as you boasted you’d conquer the Dragon Empire single handedly.”

Blackmane Mylyn sat down in the empty seat next to Varik laughing, “Who say I can’t Varik?”

“Both of you shut up,” Tarn interrupted pointing to the main dais, “I think we’re finally getting somewhere.”

Striding across the main chamber to the podium was one of the Lesser Elders, “As we all know the Civil War that has been raging across our world against the Dragon Empire has ravaged our lands and sent many of our finest warriors to an early grave. For five long years have they harassed our coasts, brought war to our lands and sacked so many of our people’s homes that some provinces still haven’t rebuilt yet.”

Voices began muttering approval across the room as more and more of the Council began to jump on the speaker’s bandwagon as he continued, “They have been preparing for this war for years while we fought against the barbarians from Oakmarsh and sat unprepared for the coming threat. There is only one thing we can do from here in order to preserve all that we hold dear.”

“What is he getting at?” Blackmane whispered to the others as he leaned forward in his chair.

“We must surrender,” the speaker continued, “we need to give in to the Dragon Emperor’s demands and sue for peace.”

The chamber fell into complete silence as the words washed over the rest of the Council. Finally others began to speak their agreement, “We must pursue peace!” some cried, “Surrender to ensure our survival!” cried others.

“NO!” Tarn’s voice echoed throughout the entire room silencing everyone. “How can you dare come here and tell us to lay down our arms? The Dragon Emperor will never let us give up in peace. He wants to rip our lands apart and rule over us with an iron fist. He is a tyrant nothing more. If any of you give in to him and his rabble of mad dogs you condemn the people you came here to represent to a slow a cruel death!”

“Here, here!” Blackmane cried as he rose behind Tarn.

“For years, the Dragon Emperor’s soldiers have ravaged my lands and killed my countrymen,” Tarn continued, “The soldiers of Ruvia have paid the dearest costs to keep these lands from falling under the Emperor’s control. Then you dare tell me that we need to surrender to survive? You spit on the memory of anyone who gave their lives and you spit on my honor. That, my fellow councilmen, I will not accept.”

“What you will and will not accept, Councilman Marx, is not paramount to this Council,” came a voice from the rabble.

Now it was Varik’s turn to rise to support Tarn, “Councilman Tagani, I’m surprised to see you even voicing an opinion in this meeting, isn’t there a mountain fortress back in Mericum you should be hiding in?”

Councilman Mennum Tagani only smiled as he strode to the main podium, “Varik Cyndri, the Ice Wolf, greatest warrior of all Mericum, how could any of us compare to your mighty triumphs. Take a good look at him, fellow councilmen. Take a good look at the three mighty generals that have gathered in front of us. Tarn Marx, the Sandpanther of Ruvia, and Blackmane Mylyn, the Great Bear. You dare tell us that we are wrong for trying to protect our way of life? I think I can speak for all those gathered here today that we are tired of you three and you warmongering!

“WARMONGERING!?!” Blackmane roared as Tarn and Varik grabbed his arms to hold him from charging the smaller councilman.

“Councilmen Marx, Cyndri, and Mylyn, I think it would be best for the three of you to leave the premises immediately.”

Varik narrowed his eyes as Tarn led Blackmane out of the room, “You’ll regret this, Tagani, soon enough you’ll regret this.”

Dragon Empire
Province of Estacius – Vertport

Emperor’s Throne Room

Amidst the giant throne room gathered the finest warriors of the Dragon Empire, the Emperor Nevio Delal’s personal War Council. Numerous representatives from all the provinces had gathered at the Emperor’s calling and waited in front of the empty throne until finally a loud creaking signaled the Emperor’s entrance.

“Welcome, gentlemen,” the Emperor hissed as he crossed the room and took his seat upon the throne, “I have called you all here for a very important message. The Principality of Mercuna is on its last legs and we need only one more push to topple them completely and leave the entire planet under the rule of the Dragon Empire!”

“My lord,” came a voice from the crowd, “might I step forward?”

“Yes, General Lyir, approach.”

General Nelric Lyir strode forth between the gathered generals as he approached the throne. Nelric looked more like common street thug swaddled in fine clothes than an actual general. “Reports are coming back to me from my spies inside Ruvia. The Council of Elders has been meeting and they are planning on an unconditional surrender. The Generals Marx, Mylyn, and Cyndir were removed from the chamber for ‘warmongering.’ Their own officials are turning on them so there will be no one left to oppose us. This will be the perfect time to strike them.”

A grim smile appeared on the Emperor’s face as he spoke, “Perfect, general, keep me informed of your spy’s progress and ready the army for deployment. We will enter their lands as emissaries of peace and leave as conquerors of a weakened and defeated nation. Now leave me and await my orders.”

The generals gathered nodded their agreement and bowed as they left until only one general remained, General Artonian Burais, “My lord, might I have a moment?”

“Speak, General.”

“As you know, while our armies have been abroad fighting and raiding the Principality, our own lands have been left undefended.”

The Emperor narrowed his eyes, “What are you asking me for, General?”

“My lord, I was hoping that the men of Talar might return to their homes and be able to combat the barbarians of Oakmarsh who cross our borders unopposed and raid out lands and kidnap innocent people.”

“Out of the question, we are on the eve of victory. I cannot spare any of my army to deal with backwards rebels who I can simply sweep away with a brush of my hand.”

“But, my lord,” Artonian pleaded, “if we continue to wait there will be nothing left for the men to come home to-“

“That is not my concern! Your duty is to follow my orders when given not to give them to me! Now leave my sight and gather your army and do not disobey me, General.”

“Yes, my lord,” Artonian muttered through clenched teeth. Turning and exiting the room, Artonian keyed his comm and send a message to his troops in the field, “This is General Artonian Burais, gather the men and get me a line to Talar to speak with my brother, Severnus.”

Clicking off the feed, Artonian thought to himself, “I’ve got a special mission that would be perfect for my brother. The perfect Ambassador for the job.
McCaffery: There are creatures in the deep you couldn't imagine in your worst nightmares.
Arthur 'AC' Curry: Oh thats reassuring. Thanks a lot.

"When someone stands in the way of justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart" Ras Al-Gul - Batman Begins
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Principality of Mercuna

Province of Mericum – Westermere Point

By the time the ramp of the airspeeder hit the ground, Tarn was already storming his way off the landing pad followed closely by Varik and Blackmane. The winds were whipping the snow wildly across the landing pad causing Blackmane to tug at the fur cloak on his back to cover his face. Tarn seemed unaffected by it all as he strode across the pad and shouldered his way through the security checkpoint and into the lift.

The life had dropped 20 floors before the first person spoke, “This isn’t right,” Blackmane grumbled, “I refuse to believe that the Council would really vote for this!”

“Believe it, old friend,” Varik spoke as he shook his head, “our Council has lost faith in itself. It’s lost faith in all of us.”

“No,” Tarn interrupted, “the Council hasn’t lost faith. They’ve lost their nerve. They’ve lost their honor.”

The lift rumbled to a stop as it arrived at the requested floor and the doors opened to reveal the large antechamber that housed the Mericum Defense Net. Monitors were spread across every wall and technicians ran back and forth between stations relaying messages. “Right here,” Tarn said motioning around the room, “right here is where we help our noble lands find its honor. In time it will be us who bring our great nation back from the edge of oblivion, not the Council!”

Varik approached Tarn cautiously as he put his hand on his shoulder, “Tarn, what are you trying to say? The Council gave us a direct order. We were to return here and await their instructions. They’re sending the message to the Dragon Empire even as we speak; the dignitaries will be by weeks end to accept the surrender. What could we possibly do?”

“I don’t know, Varik, I just don’t know,” Tarn muttered in a defeated tone, “I just can’t let all I’ve fought for end in vain. All the friends I’ve watched die at my feet, I feel like I dishonor them.”

Blackmane grunted from his seat across from them as he stripped down his blasters and began cleaning them, a trait he was known for whenever he was anxious, “I have half a mind to go to Vertport myself and whoop that Emperor while his precious army is away.”

Suddenly, both Tarn and Varik’s heads whipped around to face Blackmane, inspiration striking them both. “What was that?” Varik asked as they both sat down at the table with Blackmane.

“I was just saying I have half a mind to go to Vertport myself and give the Emperor what he’s got coming while his army is away getting the surrender.”

Tarn smiled as he grasped Blackmane’s shoulders, “I swear, Blackmane, sometimes you are too clever for yourself!”

Blackmane’s eyes widened as in that moment the idea dawned on him as well, “You can’t be serious-”

Varik’s eyes narrowed as he spoke, “Extremely.”

“But how?”

“Generals!” a young tech officer interrupted, “we’ve got a bogey incoming from the west.”

All three generals broke from their conversation and turned to the officer, “Bandits?” Varik asked.

“I don’t believe so, General Cyndri, the signature matches that of Severnus Burais, the Talarian Ambassador.”

“Talarian?” Tarn mused aloud, “what business would he have here?”

“Isn’t Severnus the brother of Artonian, the Talarian General on the Dragon Emperor’s War Council?” Blackmane asked aloud.

“Well, gentlemen,” Varik spoke as he watched the viewscreen, “things just got very interesting here.”

Dragon Empire

Province of Derimec – Outskirts of Silvermill

6 hours previously…

Artonian sat in his command bunker studying the maps in front of him, it was simple enough; while the emissaries approached the Ruvian capital the main force would strike at the exact moment the surrender was signed catching all the officials in the same place. It would effectively cut off the leadership of the Principality and ensure the dominance of the Dragon Emperor and his interests.

It was the work of a craven and a psychopath.

Rubbing his head, Artonian had been fighting with himself for the past few hours over the decision he was about to make. Suddenly, the holorecorder buzzed to life and Artonian found himself staring at the blurry portrait of his younger brother.

“Severnus, it’s been too long.”

You called for me brother? I’m sorry it’s taken so long, our transmission towers had to be repaired after the last raid by the rebels. Did you have any luck with the Emperor?

Artonian glanced around the room before he activated a small device on his desk and suddenly all the electronics went dim and even the holo projection filled with static.

“Severnus, I know you can hear me and I don’t have much time. The Emperor has forsaken us, he is too preoccupied with the conquest of the Principality and would sit idly by as our lands were ravaged by the rebel hordes. What I am going to tell you is treason but you must trust me as I have trusted you all these years. Seek out the generals Marx, Cyndri, and Mylyn. I am sending you all the information I have collected. They are our last hope for saving not only our lands but the entire world. I’m trusting you brother.”

The static raged for a moment before a garbled reply came through, “I won’t fail you brother.” The holo clicked off and Artonian disabled the jamming device on his desk bringing the electronics back to full function.

“Interesting message you sent there, Artonian.”

As he spun around, Artonian found himself staring at Herrin Orra, one of Arainian Generals on the Emperor’s War Council.

“You don’t scare me, Herrin. What’s done is done. My brother will find the Mercunan generals and they’ll find a way to bring down the Emperor unlike I ever could.”

Herrin remained silent, merely staring at Artonian.

“So go ahead,” Artonian taunted, “tell the Emperor, tell the Lyirs. My conscience will be clear and I will have died trying to save my lands and my world.”

“You are correct about one thing, Burais,” Herrin spoke as he crossed the room, “someone will die. But it will not be today.”

Circling around Artonian, Herrin smiled as he whispered into his ear, “and it will not be you.”

Artonian raised an eyebrow as he studied Herrin, “Then-?”

“It’s simple really,” Herrin began as he sat at the now vacant desk, “your brother gives all the information to the generals, they stage some kind of attack, and in the confusion…”

“In the confusion… what?” Artonian asked.

Herrin smirked as rose again, “In the confusion, dear friend, we kill the Emperor and his bastard dogs, the Lyirs.”
McCaffery: There are creatures in the deep you couldn't imagine in your worst nightmares.

"When someone stands in the way of justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart" Ras Al-Gul - Batman Begins
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Principality of Mercuna

Province of Mericum – Westermere Point

“You’ve got to be kidding me!”

Severnus Burais didn’t even flinch at the reaction he knew he’d get from Tarn, his brother sent him here with a mission that if found out would lead to not only his death but spell the end for Talar. But then again, he knew if it was successful it would bring down the Dragon Empire and usher in the peace that seemed like a lost hope. Taking a seat in the small chair near a massive map table, Severnus adjusted the ill fitting robe he wore to show his position as Ambassador. It wasn’t one of the decadent and flowing robes of the Lyirs who had more money it seemed than the rest of the Empire combined. Talarians learned long ago to make due with the bare essentials since most of their finances went to fighting the barbarians of Oakmarsh and to the repairs from their raids.

“My good generals, I am not here to waste your time, I was sent here by my brother whose word I do not take lightly. If Artonian was willing to risk sending me this information while inside an Empire Military Base, then I know he is not taking this as a joke.”

“But what you are suggesting,” Blackmane interrupted, “how do we know this isn’t some grand trick coming from the Emperor’s dogs?”

Severnus flew from his seat and slammed his hands on the desk, “Hold your tongue, Mylyn! You have no idea what it’s like living under his reign! Everyday my people wake up and go about their lives in constant fear of those damn raiders from Oakmarsh. It’s a backwards province full of smugglers, cutthroats, and murderers. Unfortunately for us Talarians, killing each other doesn’t take up enough of their time so they decide to cross our border and pay us a visit.” Pulling down his collar, Severnus showed a ragged red scar that ran across his collarbone, “This came from the vibroblade of a raider that decided he desereved my wife more than I did.”

The generals were quiet as Severnus’ face flushed red with barely contained rage, “He tried to rape her in front of me and when I went to stop him and he tried to slit my throat. Do you know why he missed? Not because a noble soldier of the Empire came to our rescue and saved me. It was my brother, Artonian, who had disobeyed an order that summoned him to the Vertport.”

Severnus slowly began to calm himself as he retook his seat, “He arrived at Vertport a day late, thinking the Emperor would reward him for staying and protecting his lands. Artonian was rewarded when the Emperor had him beaten in front of the other generals for his ‘disobedience.’ My brother was beaten because he chose to save his own people.”

Tarn, Varnik, and Blackmane stared at each other as Severnus finished, “If that is what you want for your people then ignore my warnings and see what happens under the Emperor’s rule.”

The busy room had fallen into silence as everyone had heard the story even those who pretended they had been working. No one outside the Empire knew for sure of the Emperor’s cruelty, but hearing it first hand had stunned even the mightiest warriors of the Principality.

It was Varik who spoke first, “Your warnings will not go ignored, my friend. We know of the risk you took to meet us here and the risk your brother took with his actions. We will not forget this.”

“But what can we do?” Blackmane asked, “If these files are true, the entire Dragon Army is massing to strike Shadebank and eliminate the Council.”

“We stop them,” Tarn interrupted, “We beat them and we take the fight to the Emperor.”

“Even if we marshaled the armies, the Council would never believe us, Councilman Tagani has them convinced that surrender is the only option. Not to mention that they are bringing the entire Dragon Army. Our forces still haven’t recovered from the Battle of Westerdell,” Blackmane pointed out as he studies the holomap in front of them.

“Wait!” Tarn interjected as he turned to Severnus, “you said that the Emperor is marshalling the entire army, correct? He wants to make this a complete victory?”

“Well… yes… he wants to crush any opposition left.”

Tarn’s eyes seemed to light up as he began to pace the room muttering to himself and glancing at the holomap. Varik soon approached him and whispered, “What are you thinking, Tarn?”

“Varik, Blackmane, the entire army is coming to Ruvia!”

“Yes, Tarn, we know-“

“No, no, no, Blackmane, you’re not listening! The ENTIRE army is coming!”

“… there’s no one left to protect him…” Varik half whispered as the idea finally dawned on him.

“YES!” Tarn yelled as he typed in a few commands to the holomap, his fingers betraying the adrenaline rushing through him. The image fluttered until it morphed in the city of Vertport. “This is the city,” Tarn began, “the defenses are impressive, built to ward off any attack from ground or air. This is one rock that won’t crack easily, but with no soldiers left patrolling the city, the only defenses left are the Royal Guards.”

“But even so, how can you expect to get an army anywhere near the city without setting off the alarms?” Varik asked.

“I don’t. An army is too easy to spot, but two men? Much harder to see coming.”

“Two?”

“Yes, Blackmane,” Tarn explained, “Only two of us need go. Blackmane you will accompany me to Vertport where we will break into the Citadel and capture that pompous Emperor and from there, the Empire falls.”

“What about me?” Varik asked.

“Varik, I need you for something even more important. Take what men we have and go to Shadebank. Do your best to warn the Council, but more importantly, find the spy and reveal him for what he is. Once the spy is revealed the Council might be more inclined to hear what you have to say.”

Varik’s eyes narrowed, “I think I have an idea of where to start.”

“Good!” Tarn said slapping Varik on the back before turning back to Blackmane.

“How do you expect us to get into the Citadel, or the city for that matter?”

“I do believe,” Severnus cut in, “I can be of help.”

Dragon Empire

Province of Derimec – Staging Point outside Silvermill

“It’s time, Artonian, Nelric Lyir is calling the generals together,”

Artonian looked at Herrin and nodded, “Let’s hear what the ‘mad dog’ has to say now.”

Exiting their hastily contructed command post, they both headed for the Central HQ in the middle of the staging point. Artonian pulled the modest robe around his shoulders to cover his black body armor as he spoke, “How will we know if the generals trust Severnus? Are you so certain they will launch an attack on the Empire?”

Herrin smirked as he flicked back his long brown hair, “My good man, it’s simple. Our ‘glorious’ Emperor has sent his entire army away to force the surrender of a foreign land and left himself completely unprotected; if they don’t attack I’ll do it myself.”

“Keep your voice down, Herrin. You know what we speak of is treason.”

Herrin glanced at Artonian before he laughed and shook his head, “If you walk through this camp and don’t hear some treasonous remarks, then you are either in the Lyir side of camp or the morgue. The Emperor does not have a friend among these ranks. I tell you right now, when the attack is launched on Verport, the first word that the Emperor is under attack and I drive this blade,” Herrin said pulling out his ornate vibroblade,” into Nelric’s back and send his entire force running back to the transports.”

“Amazing.”

“What is?” Herrin asked returning the blade to its scabbard.

“Talar and Arainia are a world away and here we are. Two men from separate lands with the same crazy idea of overthrowing their Emperor and killing their fellow generals.”

Herrin smiled as he grasped Artonian’s shoulder, “Secret schemes are all around you. If you’re not planning on killing someone, then you are soon to face the blade of another.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“Deathly. In the Dragon Empire, you scheme or you die.”

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Principlaity of Mercuna
Province of Ruvia – Capital City Shadebank

The desert wind billowed through the narrow alleyways as Varik pushed his way through the throng of people who crowded the marketplace. Beside him strode Kerin Kerstik, better known as the “Mountain Lion” in his home province of Mericum, “Varik, what you have planned may be bordering on madness. What proof do you have?”

Varik let a small grin appear as he explained, “Kerin, how long have we known each other?”

“Many years, Varik, we both served at Ironshadow Mill when your father was Councilman of Mericum. My loyalty in you is not in doubt here, I merely want to be sure you know what you’re doing”

“Do you trust me?” Varik asked as he stopped in the middle of the square.

Kerin cocked his head to the side in confusion, “With my life, old friend, you know that.”

Grasping him by the shoulders, Varik continued, “Then stand by my side, we must root out this traitor before he does anymore damage not only to our home province, but our nation as well.”

There was silence as Kerin seemed to roll over the thoughts in his head, “Lead on, friend, for I am always with you.”

Varik smiled as he finished the age old saying, “And I will never lead you wrong, because we are brothers.”

Continuing their way through the large market square, both men finally reached the Council building. The large hall sat in the middle of the city towering above all the others, it was the largest of all the buildings in Shadebank, almost rising out of the canyon the city had been built in. They made their way up the grand entryway and into the building, the guards of the Council recognizing them both and allowing them past without a second thought. From the main atrium, voices could be heard in the nearby Council Chamber. There was still a meeting going on, even though the three generals had been exiled in the last session.

“Here we go,” Kerin muttered as he shouldered open the doors.

The room dropped into silence, all the members of the Council stopped in their tracks as they saw the two men who had entered the chamber. Both Varik and Kerin were dressed in their battle armor and cloaks from their homeland of Mericum. Emblazoned on each were the sigils of their Houses, a wolf on Varik’s and a mountain lion on Kerin’s. It wasn’t hard to tell that these men meant business.

“How dare you!”

“How dare you enter these chambers and interrupt an official Council session!”

“Hold your tongue, Tagani!” Varik roared as he strode towards the main dais. “When you hear what I have to say you will regret speaking to me in such a tone. Kerin, guard the door!”

Kerin backed away and took his position by the door barring anyone from leaving until after his friend had spoken his peace. “You have been fooled, my fellow Councilors!” Varik said addressing the Council now, “This Councilman has led you all astray and has been working to deliver you all not into a time of peace, but a time of death and suffering!”

Tagani seemed unmoved by Varik’s words, “Oh do explain, Varik, I’m sure these Councilors will love one of your wild stories of lies and deception.”

In an instant, Varik’s vibrosword was out of its scabbard and pressed against Tagani’s Adams apple, “Speak out of turn again, and I will run you through without a second’s hesitation.” Then, returning his attention to the Council, he continued, “I have proof that will implicate one of your own as a traitor, and as the person who plots to leave this great nation in ruin!”

“EVI,” Varik spoke, addressing the Electronic Virtual Intelligence, known as EVI to the Councilors, “replay holo-log 349-2”

“Yes, Councilor,” EVI replied before another voice cut in. “-the Dragon Emperor is pleased with your work, our armies will be on their way within the week to finally crush the Principality under our boot.”

Councilmen around the room began to murmur as the feed continued, “Just be sure to sell them on the ‘surrender option’ so they will be completely unaware when we arrive to deliver the killing blow.”

“Who?!” Councilmen began to roar, “Who dares betray our land?!”

Varik smirked as the feed continued to play, he knew exactly who but he didn’t want to spoil the surprise. “Also, be sure to keep the Generals Marx, Cyndri, and Mylyn out of the way, they pose a threat to our enterprise, do you understand Councilman?”

Then, the moment they’d been waiting for. “I understand, General Lyir, The Emperor’s will be done.”

The chamber was dead quiet as everyone in the room recognized the voice and turned their eyes to their betrayer, as they turned there eyes to the man with a vibrosword planted under his chin. As they turned their eyes to Councilman Tagani.

“Traitor! Treason! Kill him!” the Councilmen all yelled as they attempted to storm the dais. “Hold, Councilors!” Varik yelled, keeping the blade at Tagani’s neck, “You dared to try and turn over my lands, and the lands of these people to the Emperor’s horde, what do you say for yourself?”

Tagani still wore his cocky smirk, “I have nothing to say, it’s too late. You are all dead men; you just don’t know it yet. The Emperor’s troops are on their way, none of you will survive the coming storm. Everything I have done will never be undone. As for you, Varik, we both know you have too much honor to cut down an unarmed man, so why don’t you just back off and le-”

CRACK!

Tagani’s head exploded in a mess of blood and bone as his body hit the ground with a thump, blood pouring from the stump that used to hold his head. “Varik does have too much honor,” Kerin called out, his smoking blaster rifle in his hands, “but I do not share that burden.”

Varik couldn’t help but smirk at his friend, wiping the blood from his shirt, “Good shot, Kerin.”

“I wouldn’t celebrate just yet, Varik.”

It was then they all heard the noises coming from the atrium and the streets beyond, screaming, panic, and chaos. “Tagani was right about one thing,” Varik said to the Councilmen around him as he readied his weapons, “The Emperor’s troops are on their way, if they aren’t here already.”

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Dragon Empire – 5 miles Northeast of Vertport

The airship zoomed through the early morning fog at little more than a whisper. It had been a little over two hours since the last person spoke; the only noise was the gentle hum of the repulsors that propelled the ship along. Outside the viewport, there was only a glimpse of the ground every few seconds. Besides that it was as if the ship had been covered in a white blanket. Tarn looked across the small ship’s hold at Blackmane who by this time had field stripped his blaster five separate times and was now sharpening his vibroblade for the third time. Tarn himself tried his best to quiet his mind but the same images kept replaying over and over again in his mind.

It was a little over three years ago, during the height of the Civil War. Both armies had been running sorties into enemy territory on and off for the better part of the year. At the time, Tarn was stationed at Belcliff, the furthest western point in Mericum. Tarn and his platoon had been stationed there for no more than a month before they were given their orders. They were going to commence a raid on the Imperial city of Crystalport, the staging point for the Dragon Empire’s naval forces. It was a quick hit and run op that shouldn’t have taken more than half an hour round trip. Unfortunately, it didn’t go anything like it was planned. Belcliff was both an army base and one of the biggest settlements in Mericum, Tarn’s wife Yana had moved there with him within the first few years of the war to escape the bombing raids on Shadebank.

So, once Tarn and the rest of the battalion lifted off, they got all of 10 miles off the coast before they heard the explosions.

By the time they got back, they saw the wreckage of the city. The Emperor’s forces had swung in from the south and laid waste to Belcliff while the fighters were out on the mission. Thousands died in the attack and the Belcliff Massacre, as it was later called, was the breaking point of the Principality’s forces. Many people died that day, Yana included. It was a death Tarn never fully recovered from.

“Entering Vertport airspace in 2 minutes,” Severnus said over the ship’s comm, breaking Tarn from his thoughts.

“Tarn,” Blackmane said as he grabbed Tarn by the shoulder, “you need to let her go.”

Blackmane saw right through Tarn, he had been there, he had seen the ruins of Belcliff, and he had been the one who had to knock Tarn out before he could take his skiff on a one man assault on the Emperor’s stronghold.

“Don’t” Tarn growled in reply. It was always his reply.

Outside the speeder, the fog lifted and showed the entirety of the city of Vertport. From the air, the city seemed to glow even in the middle of the day. The sun reflected off the numerous buildings and the giant golden palace of the Emperor seemed to glow like a supernova in the middle of the city. All around them speeders flew to and fro running errands throughout the city. “What is that?” Tarn asked pointing to a large cargo ship that was rising from the city.

“I’m not sure,” Severnus said as he began airship’s descent, “I’ve been getting reports of cargo frigates lifting off from the city and heading north for the past few months. But, they’re not going to Talar so no one is sure where they’re going.”

Shaking the thought from his head, Tarn looked back to Blackmane who was strapping his numerous blades and blasters to his body under the black cloak he was using as his disguise. Taking a cue from him, Tarn himself strapped all of his weapons in place and threw the cloak given to him by Severnus over his shoulders. Both Tarn and Blackmane had been given cloaks to disguise them as Talarian guards so they could be led by Severnus through the palace without raising suspicion.

By the time the ship landed, everyone was ready and they crossed the landing pad to enter the palace. Once inside, the three moved through the hallways in relative silence, all around them people were moving back and forth paying them no mind at all. “Does anyone even notice us?” Blackmane whispered.

Severnus allowed himself a small chuckle, “You’re wearing Talarian robes, and as far as this people are concerned that automatically denotes you as a nobody. We Talaraians are the lowest of the low in the Empire. When we’re not pleading for support from the Emperor, we’re busy repairing damages from the countless barbarian raids.”

Tarn didn’t respond, he was busy eyeing everything around him, taking in every detail from within the belly of the beast. Off to his right, Tarn noticed a long hallway where at the end he saw what looked like a Command Center. “Severnus, what’s that down there?” Tarn said motioning down the hallway.

“That’s the Empire Army HQ. Anything to do with the Emperor’s troops goes through that room.”

Blackmane rubbed his bearded chin before he spoke, “Why don’t we pay them a quick visit then?”

Severnus raised an eyebrow at the two men, “What possible purpose would make you want to do that? We don’t want to blow our cover before we find the Emperor!”

Tarn mused it over in his head, “Severnus has a point, Blackmane. Our priority is the Dragon Emperor. But, we need to know what his army is doing.” Turning to Blackmane, Tarn took Severnus’ clearance card and pressed it into Blackmane’s hand. “Get in there, find out what you can and meet us on the landing pad in one hour. Do not raise any suspicion. Do I make myself clear?”

Blackmane nodded as he pulled the hood over his head and trudged down the hallway towards the Command Center. “Now,” Tarn said turning back to Severnus, “take me to the Emperor!”

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Vertport: Emperor’s Throne Room

The chamber was completely quiet as the large ornate door creaked open. Tarn poked his head through the opening and scanned the large antechamber, “Clear,” he whispered as he pushed the door open and pulled Severnus in behind him. Closing the door as quietly as possible, Tarn allowed himself to take in the room in its entirety. Along the walls were large banners emblazoned with the Dragon Empire’s seal, a large black dragon with the planet in its maw. The throne itself was made of white stone that had been fashioned into a bone like design. The room made Tarn visibly shutter, “I don’t know how someone could spend all their time in a place like this.”

Severnus stood in the center of the room stoically, as if he had become immune to the room’s power, “This room is the embodiment of fear. If you let it, the room alone with break you before the Emperor even mutters a word.” Turning towards Tarn, Severnus had almost a fiery glow in his eyes, “The key is to remember that this is just a room, and he is just a man. Rooms can be destroyed, men can be killed. This room and this man will never have a hold over me.”

“How very poetic, Ambassador,” a voice called out from the shadows, “but I do believe there is something in this room that has a hold over you.”

As if on cue, four Royal Guards of the Emperor himself, the Dragon’s Talons seized both men and forced them to their knees. Then, from the shadows stepped the one man they both had been looking for. The one man who held an entire nation under his foot. The one man who had been planning the massacre of an entire nation, Nevio Delal, the Dragon Emperor.

Tarn’s blood instantly boiled, his body instinctively struggling against the grip of his captors. At his side, Severnus did not struggle, but the look in his eyes showed that behind his controlled façade was a maelstrom of anger. The man in front of him had taken everything from him, made a fool of his brother, and left his homeland at the mercy of the horde of cutthroats and thugs.

“So quiet, Severnus?” the Emperor mocked, “I must say I expected more from you. When I first heard about your brother’s little plan to betray me and the Empire it took all my willpower to not have one of our scouts blow your ship out of the sky before you left Talarian airspace.”

Severnus’s face didn’t change, “You knew?”

“Of course I knew, you peasant! There is nothing you can do that escapes my knowledge! I AM THE DRAGON EMPIRE! Don’t you get that? I knew about your brother’s deception before he even contacted you! Have you ever wondered why the mercenaries of Oakmarsh have never been dealt with, you fool? They work for me! They exist only to keep you and your rabble of uneducated countrymen in check; and don’t even get me started on that damn Orras from Arainia. Those uppity bastards have been eying my throne for years. But, with a little political maneuvering, they’ve been so busy plotting the demise of the Lyirs of Derimec that they have lost any interest in me.”

“You son of a bitch!” Tarn roared, struggling against his captors, “You keep your nations fighting to protect your reign?! Countless lives have been lost while you play your fething game to gain more power?!”

Tarn was cut off by a backhand to the face by the Emperor himself, “Watch your tongue, Marx. You and your pathetic countrymen are the next to feel my wrath! After this day you will understand true suffering. I will make these last few years of war seem like the happiest moments of your pathetic lives!”

Vertport Palace: Dragon Empire HQ

Blackmane had entered the room about 20 minutes previously and luckily, no one seemed to pay him any mind. It had turned out Severnus was right and the members of Imperial Command paid more attention to the cloak on a man’s back than the man himself. Blackmane soon used this to his advantage and took and open seat at a nearby terminal and set himself to work. The terminal was in the far corner of the room giving him some privacy from the watchful eyes of the other technicians in the room.

When he saw no one was looking, he produced a small device from his pocket. “Don’t fail me now, Helenia,” he whispered as he plugged the device into the mainframe. Helenia Mylyn was not only Blackmane’s sister but the greatest slicer in all of Greymoor. She had left the family when she was a young girl when she found out she did not fit in to the political lifestyle. However, like the good older brother he was Blackmane always watched out for her, keeping her out of trouble and off the radar for the police forces of Greymoor. In return, Helenia had developed a device that could crack and safeguard it touched. Giving it to Blackmane to repay her debt, Blackmane had been using it to steal battle plans and intelligence from the Dragon Empire for years. Now, being in the middle of the Defense Network, he wanted to see what he could get.

By the time the screen finished loading, the device had punctured through the mainframe firewall like it was a plaster wall, causing Blackmane to let a small smirk cross his face, “You never cease to make me proud, sister.” Typing furiously, Blackmane checked every open file he could get his hands on, most were things he had seen before in his previous hacking attempts, but there was one file buried under terabytes of others.

Steel Dragon

Clicking the folder, Blackmane read as much as he could while trying to keep an eye out for any attendant who strayed too close to him. What he read not only shocked him but caused his rage to slowly build like a dormant volcano slowly coming to life. The freighters that Tarn had seen from the airship on the way to Vertport were indeed going north packed to the brim with supplies. But, they were not going to Talar. They were going to Oakmarsh. Pulling up the cargo manifests, Blackmane checked over the cargo and began to put everything together. There was massive amounts of raw materials like steel, welding supplies, and artificial environmental hardware. There was only one thing in the history of the planet that had required those supplies. The Corlabarian Space Station.

Impossible! Blackmane thought, That station has been condemned for decades. Why would the Emperor be rebuilding the station?

Then, he saw something that caught his eye. It was a file called Operation Dragon’s Breath and it outlined one of the most horrific battle plans Blackmane had ever seen. Apparently after the Principality was conquered, the Emperor planned to bomb it from the newly rebuilt space station as a way to make sure that no one ever rose to challenge his rule. “Son of a bitch…”

Dragon Emperor’s Throne Room

The steel blade felt chilling against Tarn’s neck, these were his final moments. He was going to die at the feet of the most sadistic man in the history of Corlabar. “Any last words, General Marx?”

“Feth you,” Tarn spit at the Emperor.

The Emperor did not even pause as he looked at his Royal Guard and simply nodded and walked back to the Throne. However, that cold slice never came; Tarn never felt his throat open as he had seen happen to countless others on the battlefield. Instead he saw his captor slump to the ground, a small blade lodged in the back of his neck. Not taking any time to think, Tarn grabbed the fallen sword and drove it into the other guard’s sternum spraying him with blood.

Sparing himself a sideways glance, he saw the source of his salvation. Severnus had produced a group of knives that he was using to fend off the remaining guards. Tarn almost allowed himself a smile, Severnus had been biding his time and waiting for the right moment to strike. He may have been an Ambassador but he had the spirit of a warrior, perhaps it was built into ever Talarian.

“Don’t just stand there!” Severnus screamed over the din, “Kill the bastard!”

Snapping out of his thoughts, Tarn turned and saw the Emperor backing away from him, a look of fear painted on his face. “You insult my people?” Tarn seethed as he crossed the room, “You dare to murder innocent people? You dare to call yourself a ruler? You are a tyrant! You are a psychopath!”

Regaining his composure, the Emperor drew his ornate ceremonial sword from its scabbard, “You dare threaten me? I am the Dragon Emperor! I am the rightful ruler of this world! I am-”

He never finished his thought, Tarn had charged across the room and drove his sword through the Emperor’s throat silencing him forever. “You are nothing,” Tarn whispered to the Emperor as his life faded from his eyes, “You think yourself a ruler? Then rule in Hell you fething bastard!”

Pulling away his sword, Tarn let the Emperor’s body drop to the ground where the crimson puddle of blood expanded outwards slowly. Behind him, Severnus had driven the last of his knives in the final guard’s neck dropping him to the ground. Both men, covered in blood stared at each other, “What now?” Severnus asked.

Pointing to a small vid recorder across the room, Tarn spoke three words, “Turn it on.”

Province of Ruvia – Shadebank: Market Squard

Varik was exhausted; the Dragon Emperor’s forces had arrived at Shadebank expecting no resistance. Varik and the remaining forces made them pay for that assumption, but by this point the momentum was shifting and the Dragon Empire had superior numbers. Weariness and fatigue were taking their toll on the Principality’s soldiers.

There was vicious street fighting, city blocks had turned into killing zones where blaster fire rained down from windows and made the streets run red with blood. “We can’t keep this up, Varik,” Kerin huffed as he leaned against the door frame, “we’re pretty much out of ammo and there’s an entire division out there.”

Outside the window, Varik peered down the street and saw a small division marching his way. Judging by the standard it was a Aranian and Derimec division lead by two of the Empire’s best generals, Herrin Orra and Nelric Lyir.

“I don’t know about you men,” Varik yelled as he rose to his feet and drew his vibrosword, “but I plan to leave this world on my feet!”

“HURRAH!” the men cried as they all rushed out of the building to face their enemy.

The Empire troops saw them immediately and charged the rabble swords and vibroblades drawn this would not be a simple shooting skirmish; it would be a knock down drag out melee. Blades clanged against blades and screams of the wounded and dying filled the air. Then, suddenly, something else filled the air. The monitors around the city flickered to life and Varik was stunned to see the image of Tarn appearing on the monitor.

Attention, citizens of the Dragon Empire!” his voice roared throughout every loudspeaker in not only Shadebank but every monitor across the world, “the time of your oppression is over! The time of your suffering has come to an end!”

Turning from the camera, the image of Tarn wound up and struck his sword at something off screen. When he returned he held something up to the screen that shocked everyone around the world into silence. “This,” he said referring to the severed head he held, “is the source of your pain, of your suffering. No longer will you ever need to bend the knee to filth like this. Rejoice! For this war is over!”

The image cut out almost as fast as it had appeared, the troops in the streets seemed stunned into silence. That is until Nelric Lyir launched himself at Varik, “Lies! You will never stop us!” Varik and Nelric’s blades met and sang a deadly song throughout the street. The rest of the army had taken to watching the fight, no one else intervening.

“It’s over, Lyir!” Varik roared as he went on the offensive, “Your Emperor is dead! This war is done!”

Swingy wildly, Nelric put all his energy into his strikes until he finally knocked away Varik’s sword and pressed his own blade against his chest, “You have no idea how much I’ll enjoy this!”

In a flash, Varik watched as Nelric’s eyes bulged and his sword dropped from his hand. Riping his sword from Nelric’s back Herrin Orra spat on the dying corpse, “Not as much as I enjoyed that I’m afraid.” Looking up, Herrin saw the look of utter confusion on Varik’s face, “I said I was going to kill him,” Herrin explained.

Varik’s expression stayed the same, “Ya know,” Herrin said shaking his head, “it’s a long story.” Finally Varik picked himself up from the ground and extended his hand, “I’d love to hear it sometime.”

Then, in a moment completely unlike him, Herrin found himself smiling, “I’d like that, I think we passed a cantina a few blocks back… unless one of us blew it up.”

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Two Weeks Later

Shadebank: Market Square

The ruins of the main square were still being repaired even after the fighting had long been over with. For the last two weeks, the world of Corlabar had known an uncommon time of peace. With the broadcast of the death of the Dragon Empire, it seemed that a match had been struck on the powder keg on revolution in the rest of the Empire’s lands. Cities all over the Empire rose up and overthrew the Imperial Governors and officials and proclaimed themselves independent. From the Southern coasts of Arainia to the Northern peaks of Talar, citizens found themselves freed from the grip of the Dragon Emperor. Even in the Emperor’s home province of Estacius there were revolts as the long persecuted common men rose up against the elites of the nation, the city of Vertport was sacked within three days and a new ruler of Estacius was established within hours. King Regent Edro Caspens, as he referred to himself, seized as much power as he could and proclaimed Estacius and independent nation. The story was the same all over the former Empire’s lands, with the exception of Talar. After the death of the Emperor, Severnus voxed his brother Artonian everything that had happened and Artonian proclaimed that Talar would always be indebted to the Principality for their actions to save his homeland from the evil of the Emperor.

There were reports of raids into the land of Derimec from over the Arainian Mountians, the Arainians getting their revenge for countless years of persecution from the Lyirs of Derimec. However, one group seemed to rise from the ashes of Derimec. Calling themselves, the Order of the White Rose, men from Derimec met the raiders of Arainia and sued for peace. As an offering, the men of the White Rose offered up any Lyir Loyalist over to the Arainian raiders. To say the offer was acceptable was quite an understatement. It was there that the Arainians and the leader of the White Rose, Rickot Bethin, finally achieved peace between the once warring provinces.

On the streets of Shadebank, Varik, Tarn, Blackmane, and Kerin walked through the rubble on their way to the Council Building. The generals of the ex-Empire had returned back to Shadebank after being given time to tend to their lands to discuss the future of the planet. One ambassador had been chosen from each of the provinces with Tarn, Blackmane, and Varik each representing the Principality’s nations. Coming from the old Empire were Herrin Orra, Rickot Bethin, Severnus Burais, and surprisingly, Edro Caspens.

“There hasn’t been a meeting like this in generations,” Kerin mused aloud, “I can’t even remember the last time all the nations of Corlabar gathered together.”

Blackmane and Tarn both nodded as they walked, Varik however hadn’t heard a word. His gaze was focused across the square at a group of people trying to clear away rubble from a storefront. The group was struggling to remove a large support beam that had fallen through the storefront. The men all grunted and groaned as they strained, however, the real reason for Varik’s stare was behind them. Inside the shop was a woman nailing up new frames for the doors and windows. Her face was covered in ash and dirt, lines of sweat carved through the dirt showing off her deeply tanned skin. Her jet black hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail that failed to hold all the hair out of her face.

Varik hadn’t even realized he was staring, and an instant later they met eyes. Her dark green eyes met his icy blue and she smiled at him. “Varik!” Blackmane interrupted, shoving Varik slightly, “Are you with us?”

Snapping back to his senses, Varik tried to answer without looking back at the woman as she laughed slightly at his and Blackmane’s encounter. He failed. “I…uh… yes. Yes, I’m with you. Let’s go.”

As if on cue, Kerin approached Varik from the side and looked from the woman in the shop to Varik and back, “You know, you’re not the only representative from Mericum here.”

Allowing himself a small smirk, Varik laughed, “Thank you my friend, I’ll make it up to you.”

Kerin heartily laughed, “We both know you won’t, but regardless, go!”

Tarn, Blackmane, and Kerin all continued their walk towards the Council Building as Varik began his walk towards the shop. He got about ten feet away before the group in front of the shop all turned in awe, “Varik Cyndri!” they gasped. Most had dropped their tools as they crowded him, “I saw you fighting from my window!” some called, “You saved us!” other proclaimed. However, Varik’s gaze was past them, at the girl in the shop who kept on working. With a few thank you’s and handshakes, Varik finally made his way through the group and into the bombed out shop.

“Hello,” he called in.

“Hello,” the woman said without looking up from her work.

“Do you need any help?”

“Oh,” the woman said finally turning to Varik, “so since I’m a woman I can’t do a physical task like fix a frame in my own shop? Thank god you strong men are here or else we’d have nothing to do but wait for the right man to choose us and help us start spouting out children.”

Varik’s eyes widened, “Oh…no..no that’s not what I meant! I just meant that I could-well I’m not saying you can’t- I just wanted to-”

The woman began to laugh cutting Varik short, her laugh surrounded Varik like the most expensive silk cloak, “My, my. Varik Cyndir, Ice Wolf of Mericum, he can fight off hordes of Dragon Empire troops with no trouble but throw a woman at him and he’s as helpless as a little boy.”

Varik couldn’t help but smile, “You enjoy that don’t you? Making men feel inferior?”

“Enjoy?” she answered returning to her work, “I wouldn’t say enjoy, how about I like to have a spot of fun?”

Leaning against a door frame, Varik smirked again, “Fair enough. So you know who I am, do I get the pleasure of knowing who you are?”

“Well,” the woman said dismounting her ladder and fetching more supplies, “it certainly would be a pleasure wouldn’t it?”

“Are you going to tell me your name or what?”

Smiling at him, the woman crossed the room and stood directly in front of Varik as she whispered, “Ask me nicely.”

Staring into her eyes, Varik almost lose his sense before he finally responded, “Please?”

She laughed again, a laugh that would melt even the largest of Mericum’s glaciers, “Keleena, Keleena Rubar.”

Varik extended his hand to her, “Pleasure to meet you, Keleena.”

In a flash, Keleena slapped a hammer in Varik’s hand, “It is isn’t it?” she added with a wink before the returned to her work. Then, seemingly out of his control, Varik crossed the room and began to work beside her.

Shadebank – Council Building

By the time Tarn entered the Council Building, the din coming from the chamber suggested that there were at least 20 people arguing back and forth. However, when he finally entered the Council Chamber it was only the six other representatives from all over Corlabar. There was Herrin Orra from Arainia, clad in a brown leather jacket with his dual short swords fastened to his hips. Ricot Bethin from Derimec sat next to him, the symbol of the White Rose emblazoned on his shirt. Across from them sat the self proclaimed King Regent Edro Caspens who looked like he had raided some poor noble’s closet for his wadrobe. His cloak was ill fitting along with the rest of his outfit. The only thing that seemed right about him was the small vibroax that hung at his side. Then there was Severnus, Kerin, Blackmane, and Tarn himself.

“I see we’re all here,” Severnus began, always the negotiator.

“Why have we been called here?” Edro spoke first, “I see no reason as to why Estacius need concern itself with outsiders.”

“Ha!” Herrin laughed, “You have been ruler of your land for what? A week? You know nothing of leadership!”

“How dare you!” Edro retorted.

“That is enough!” Tarn interrupted, “The reason we are here is not for the benefit of any one nation, it is for the benefit of all Corlabar!”

Herrin crossed his arms in his seat, “I see no benefit for me.”

“Hold your tongue, Orra!” Severnus seethed, “Had it not been for Tarn, we would not only still be fighting a pointless war but you would still be in the midst of your silly feud with the Lyirs.”

At the mention of the Lyirs, both Herrin and Ricot both spit on the ground as if hearing the name Lyir gave them a sick taste in their mouth. But, Severnus’ remark did the trick.

“Thank you, Severnus,” Tarn nodded as he continued, “As you all know, with the death of the Dragon Emperor, we find ourselves in the first time of peace in decades. Before the Civil War that ravaged our planet, before the Emperor’s conquest of the western provinces, we knew of not only peace, but a unified Corlabar. I believe it is time for us to be unified again. For too long has it been nation against nation, we must band together as brother now and realize that our world is but one of billions. If we cannot live peacefully amongst ourselves, how can we ever branch out to other worlds and other civilizations?”

Ricot was the next to speak, “I assume you are leading up to the issue of the defunct space station still in orbit?”

Heads turned as one to stare at Ricot in disbelief, “What? The Order of the White Rose has had spies within the Emperor’s Palace for months.”

“And you said nothing until now?” Edro exclaimed.

Slamming his laser carbine onto the table in front him, Kerin broke the tension, “This carbine has shed blood in this very room. It is hungry to do so again if we cannot act like men and not squabbling boys.”

Shaking his head, Tarn continued, “Yes, Ricot, I am leading up to the space station.” Then, turning on the display in the middle of the room, Tarn produced and image of Oakamarsh before he continued, “According to the files stolen from the Empire mainframe by Blackmane, the Empire was rebuilding the space station over top of Oakmarsh, he had been using them the whole time. These are not the ‘barbarians’ we thought they were all this time. They are a group of mercenaries and thugs that have split into separate clans that not only protect the only access point to the station,” Tarn said as he point to a spot on the map in the middle of Oakmarsh, “but they have also been launching raids into Talar to keep the nation on its heels.”

“My proposition is that we throw aside any rivalries, any issues and band together as a world. We must band together and forge the Empire, forget the Principality, and become something better.”

“I propose that we throw aside out old allegiances and here and now we create a new one. We create the Corlabarian Commonwealth and we shall not be ruled by one man, but by our own. We will allow one representative from each province to join together in a High Council where they will meet to make sure our first steps as a unified body are the right steps. Will anyone second?”

“Aye,” Blackmane cut in, “I will second.”

Then, slowly, the rest of the men present all stood and acknowledged their agreement, “Aye,” Herrin added, “I do believe it is time for my blade to no longer taste the blood of my fellow Corlabarians.”

Ricot simply bowed as he showed his acknowledgement. Edro was the last to stand; when he finally spoke his voice seemed different, as if he was finally speaking as himself and not the King Regent, “Truth be told, I never asked for this. My people have suffered long enough under the Emperor’s rule; they deserve to not be ruled by one man. I agree to your terms, General Marx.” It was then, with the seven men present that the Corlabarian Commonwealth was born.

“Our first act as a newly created governing body,” Tarn announced, “Lay siege to Oakmarsh, find the access point, and retake the space station!”

Oakmarsh – Settlement of Fayrock

It had been two weeks since the Emperor’s death, while the rest of the world rioted, grew restless, and raged against the shackles of their tormenters, Oakmarsh fell silent for the first time in years. Without orders, and more importantly money, coming in from the Empire, the mercenaries found themselves at a loss for what to do next. Most of the clans had taken to infighting, while others had flat out disbanded. Now, in the middle of Fayrock, in the arena known as the Killing Field, the remaining clans met under the leadership of Shieldbreaker, the leader of the Ironfoot clan, the mightiest mercenary in all of Oakmarsh.

Standing on the massive podium in front of the crowd, Shieldbreaker began his speech, “Brothers and sisters, our time has come. For the past years we have been kept on a leash by the Emperor with his offerings of gold and equipment. But, now the Emperor is dead! It is time for the clans to band together and rise up to take what is rightfully ours! Too long have we been content to settle for the occasional raid into Talar. I ask you, brothers and sisters, what is to stop us from taking over this entire world?! This world is ours! It is ours for the taking!”

The roar from the arena was so deafening it could be heard from miles around and it was from miles away that it hit the ears of Killblade, leader of the Bloodsword Clan. Sitting on the hills above Fayrock, Killblade stared down at the city before she turned to the man beside her. He was Deadscope, the leader the Crackshot clan, and not only was he her staunchest ally, he was also her brother. Taken from Talar when they were children, hey both grew up in the merc community and learned quickly they had to shed their old identities and become something better if they wanted to survive.

“The fools,” Killblade spat, “they follow him to their deaths. Even with all the clans together, there is no way Sheildbreaker could ever hope to take over the entire world.”

“You don’t see his plan, sister,” Deadscope retorted as he stared through his blaster rifle’s scope, “He is planning on using the Emperor’s space station to get reinforcements and turn this planet into a mercenary haven.”

“He’s too stupid to ever figure that out, brother, we both know that,” Killblade answered as she continued to sharpen her vibrosword.

“That’s what worries me,” Deadscope admitted, “he knows he’d never figure out the controls to get up to the station. So why would he chance an assault like this with the chance of success so risky?”

“Who knows,” Killblade shrugged, “Have you had any luck reaching anyone outside Oakmarsh? I know that we’re both tired of the clans and Sheildbreakers bullshit, but unless we can reach someone outside the province, there’s no way we’ll be able to get away from them.”

“I’m trying,” Deadscope muttered frustratingly, “but, Shieldbreaker must have someone down there who understands tech. There’s a signal jammer down there that’s jamming any hope at getting a signal through.”

Musing over the though, Killblade stood and crossed over to her brother, “Then we deliver the message the old fashioned way.”

“Sister, you know that the second we’re spotted by anyone we’ll be shot just for being part of the clans.”

“That, brother,” Killblade growled, “is a chance I’m willing to take.”

Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu »

Province of Talar: Fortress of Lochfort

By the time, Tarn’s feet hit the soil of Talar, his mind had been cleared of everything. Everything except his hatred. The mercenaries represented the last remnants of the Dragon Empire, and he would not stop until the last spec of the corrupt regime was crushed beneath his boot. Looking before, Tarn almost felt in awe of the presence in front of him. Even with the Civil War that had raged for years before, there was still a sizable force of soldiers left from all the provinces of Corlabar that now surrounded him. The Talarian defenders who manned Lochfort were so surprised by the mass force that had arrived that they had scrambled to find enough provisions to supply the mass influx of soldiers. For the citizens of Talar, watching the sky filled with troop transports coming to lay siege to Oakmarsh was akin to the Warrior Angels of myth returning to the planet to visit their vengeance on the wicked.

“Lochfort hasn’t seen numbers like these in generations,” a voice called out interrupting Tarn’s thoughts. Turning, Tarn smiled as he greeted Artonian Burais, “Artonian, it is good to finally meet you face to face. Your brother spoke highly of you.”

Artonian laughed, “You honor me, Tarn, but I believe the pleasure is all mine. You freed my people from a tyrant who sought to drive them into the dirt under his heel. You will never know our gratitude.”

“Then allow me to try to repay my debt here and now,” Tarn said motioning to the forces around him. “Beyond your borders, those mercenaries and degenerates have been hiding and have been attacking your people with impunity for far too long. We may be here for the space station, but the plight of the Talarian people is not forgotten.”

“Thank you, Tarn; my people have not had reason to celebrate in a long time. Now they not only witnessed the death of their oppressor but now see the end of their biggest tormentor. Hope has returned to Talar it seems.”

Both men smiled at the thought and then made their way across the large courtyard towards the makeshift command center that had been erected a few days previously. When they entered the small building, Blackmane, Herrin, and Ricot all gathered around the large holo display that showed the province of Oakmarsh. “These maps aren’t exactly the most accurate,” Herrin pointed out, “no one has set foot in Oakmarsh and returned alive in many years. For all we know there could be countless forts and settlements between us and Feyrock. Not to mention we’ll have to deal with Morburn along the way.”

Morburn. The legendary stronghold of Oakmarsh. Long before the Civil War broke out and even before the Dragon Emperor’s conquest of the western territories, Talar had been launching retaliatory raids into Oakmarsh to attempt to stop the flow of mercenaries. They never got further than the stronghold of Morburn, it was more of mountain than a fortress. It’s walls had never been breached and now it sat between the Commonwealth’s forces and the settlement of Feyrock where they knew the access point to the space station was. The problem could have been easily remedied by flying around the fortress with the airships had the mercenaries not set up anti-aircraft guns all around the shorelines effectively making Oakmarsh a no fly-zone.

“We must get across those mountains, but there’s no way we’d get this force past Morburn without attracting attention,” Blackmane remarked.

Varik, having shown up in the middle of the meeting took his turn to speak, “Maybe if we sent out a small force of scouts to try and find a way around the fort of maybe even a weakness in the walls?”

Tarn nodded slightly, “It could work, although there’d be a better chance of finding a way around the fort than any weaknesses. Whoever goes out needs to stay away from the fort as much as possible. If they are found by any mercs out there, I can guarantee that the defenses around the fort would be doubled, or they’d even meet us here and bring the fight to us.”

“Then who should go?” Herrin asked, scanning the room.

“I will go,” Varik said first, “if you need someone to scout out a mountain, anyone from Mericum is the best pick.”

“I’m going with you,” Ricot volunteered, “The White Rose used to use the Arainian Mountains to ambush Lyir sympathizers after the war ended.”

“Ok,” Tarn interjected, “It’s settled, Varik and Ricot will take a small group of men into the mountains to get some intelligence about the terrain and try to find a way to go around the fort. Dismissed.”

As the generals all left, Tarn pulled Varik aside, “Varik, you have to be careful out there, these mountains aren’t like the ones back home.”

“I realize that Tarn, but when it comes to scouting a mountain you can’t tell me I don’t know what I’m doing.”

Tarn shook his head, “Just be careful, old friend. Who knows what is in those mountains.”

Oakmarsh – 4 miles south of Morburn

The group moved in silence though the trees; all sources of light had been doused plunging the group into darkness. Deadscope peered through the optics of his rifle at the sources of light ahead. “Two scouts,” he whispered to the group behind him, “looks like it’s the Blackhelm Clan. We must be close to Morburn.”

“If those scouts see us, we’re royally fethed,” Killblade sneered.

“You can’t kill what you can’t see,” Deadscope said, reciting the Crackshot Clan mantra.

Calling up another of his clansmen, Deadscope and his companion took aim at he scouts, “Aim for the neck, if it goes high it takes his head off. If it goes low its hits him right in the heart.”

Seconds later, both bodies dropped in place from identical blaster wounds that punched through their throats. The group took their time emerging from the cover of the trees and policed the bodies for ammo and supplies. “We have to be close to the Talarian border by now,” one of the merc groaned.

Killblade stared out into the darkness, “We’ll be there by tomorrow afternoon. But for now, we need to get up into the mountains and find a safe place to camp. Tomorrow, we test our fate.”