The Jedi Temple on Ossus

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Halcyon508

Re: The Jedi Temple on Ossus

Post by Halcyon508 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 am

Adam stared between the two Jedi Masters that occupied the council chamber with him. Looking to Master Ward he handed her a datapad. "That's all the information I received on the attack." he said before turning to L'hnnar. "It appears as though Aaralyn Blackthorne is involved in these events." He looked at Faye and then to the Whiphid, "but the forces that attacked Tylon, were also involved at least in supporting the sith forces at Ruusan. The timeline doesn't add up it couldn't have been her doing, at least not alone. We're looking for another creature entirely." A short respite in the conversation caused the man to let out a soft sigh. "Master L'hnnar's suspicions are well founded though. I'll put the Rangers on full alert and see about reassigning more ships for our protection. We need more information in order to act on. We should send an envoy to Kuat and see what they know about the situation."

Jace strolled up the walkway flanked by Felicity. The two were on their own for the day, Max having left to participate in some sort of meeting. Kile Dax, along with Keiko, was attending to them as they came upon the scene. Kile stared with a strange curiousity at the scene unfolding before him. It seemed strange that such a small girl would be so territorial. He shook the thought off. Each species was different and each reacted differently to various situations. "Is there a problem?" Kile asked looking at the little one.
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:30 am

"I know we're all just people, none of us is anything but a shade of gray - and obviously you're right about positions being held because they've always been held - but there's no reason not to try to be better. The hope for self-improvement is all that keeps me going sometimes. I've been on the wrong side of things, Arice. I've done things that would appall you. I'm different now, because of that hope. Because where I am doesn't matter so much as the direction I'm heading. Perhaps my perspective is different from yours - you just said you've never been tempted by the Dark Side. So I'm not sure you can really understand this need I feel to be something better than I was. People who've never been tempted can saunter around in the light all they want; that's hopelessly naive of them. I'll tell you straight up: I've seen right and wrong, and I need to come closer and closer to doing what's right. Screw social convention. I follow my conscience, nothing else."

She pushed her chair back. "I'm done. Help me clean up and then - yes - let's go find out about Onderon. I'd love to spend some more time with Alu and Mikhail, but duty calls."

They set about clearing the table and washing the dishes; it didn't take terribly long. The meal hadn't been elaborate. That done, they left Alu in the care of Quirk and headed into the little stone city, in the direction of the Council chambers and the library. Many of the important buildings were up a gentle slope, away from the waterfall, at the north end of town.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:33 am

The wyrwulf snorted rigorously and gave Gunn a quick lick to face after he offered some food pellets. The young Codru-Ji chewed happily. Jedi may appear to be fierce, but underneath the training they've all been so kind to him.

"He is sentient, you know," a woman's voice said as she approached.

The wolf's pointed ears perked up. Sentient... that word... it means smart! She must be referencing him!

This female know's who I am!

The wyrwulf let loose an appreciative bark in response to this mysterious woman's insight. She must have recognized his six paws, the third set a rarity among most alien species. She introduced herself as Jade Kitana. There was a petite alien roaming around her feet, a creature that the wyrwulf was not familiar with. Honestly, the wyrwulf wasn't sure whether she was a child or a pet - afterall, he was a mere pet only moments ago. The little Vrikan growled, words that held no weight from a species that did not speak Cudro. In his language, she had just told him to take a nap. The wyrwulf tilted his head to one side and yelped quizzically. Next, he casually bent all of his knees and laid his belly against the ground. A short burst of air left his nostrils and lifted a few sand particles into the air around his face. He stared straight at Sylva, waiting to see her reaction. Among wolves, an expression of pacifism in the face of a territorial dispute was an expression of peace and friendship - like offering a hand shake.

It would be another few months before the wyrwulf could communicate verbally with the inhabitants of the Jedi Temple. He wanted to now so that he could tell his story and ask for directions... but how? The kidnapping, the abandonment, the exile... The foreign devil was in him, they said. He had the forbidden mark. But what does that mean? Why did they have me taken to Onderon? Although the wyrwulf had many unanswered questions, he felt very safe in the temple. He was confident that he would find a new path with these aliens. A sudden itch struck the Codru-Ji's left ear, prompting him to lift his middle left paw and remedy the nuisance.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 am

nm
Last edited by Red Dragon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:14 am

Sylva's growling stopped when the creature lay prone in front of her and her expression changed to one of satisfaction. He was not here to challenge her for her territory, that was fine with her. "Is there a problem," a blue haired alien asked them.

Jade glanced down at Sylva then gave Kile a cheerful smile. "No, I think the situation resolved itself."

"No," Sylva said happily though the word didn't quite fit the context.

Kile and the others looked at her curiously. "She doesn't speak basic," Jade reminded him, "but never mind that. It seems we have a new student," she gestured to the wyrwulf lying beside her, "Our friend here will need lodgings."

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:25 pm

OOC: These two have been floating around the new temple since this thread just thought I'd go ahead and have them surface on this new one as well...
IC:

Fini sat back in the comfortable conform chair that occupied the communications station of the Black Sheep, his most recent report on the Former Temple of the Current to the Defenders detailed the myriad of changes that had occurred over the last few months with the Jedi Order proper moving in and their star-ships keeping watch in orbit, it wouldn't be enough to stop a determined foe from gaining orbit but he suspected those ships were just a diversion to keep anyone moving to pose the temple a serious threat distracted or engaged long enough for the real protective force arrive from where ever it was stationed. The arrival of the Jedi order proper had brought with an influx of students, knights, and even a few Masters. The fact that not many of his former class mates from Master Vos' praxeum were there didn't really surprise him since a good many of those had stayed behind on Coursaunt and he was one of the few who did to actually get off planet. Since then the Empire had consistently denied any knowledge of those who'd stayed behind. It was one of his many personal missions to find out what had become of his fellows. As the data packet chirped with the completion of it's encryption routine he leaned forward and tapped the transmission key. The low-power wide-band holo-comm transmitter he'd hand built into the ship after he'd purchased it would send out the message without a soul on the planet knowing it had gone. Pushing back from the console he floated around to one of the forward cargo bays that Kid had claimed as his own during their longer than average stay on Ossus. He was hunched over his make-shift workbench working o something he couldn't see, when he slipped around the edge of the table he could finally make out what it was, a gauntlet of with some pretty fine micro circuitry and mechanics in it attached to what seemed be some sort of palm emitter,

"What in the Force is this?"

The Kid seemed to ignore him as he finished working on what looked to be two particularly tricky bits of circuit work, when he finally finished he set the micro-welder aside and sat back with a satisfied grin,

"This," he smirked as he leant forward again fitting the gauntlet's coushined interior plate in place before securing it around his left forearm and securing the attached emmitter in the palm of his hand, "is a little something I cooked up to level the playing field for me with you Jedi types and your force slinging."

His hand snapped out palm first fingers splayed as the emmitter shocked the air with a quick burst from a micro-repulsor array, it caught Fini completely by surprise flinging him across the small space into a nearby bulk-head,

"Stang!" was all he could get out along with a hearty laugh, Kid swaggered across the floor and pulled his friend up from deck, "that's impressive, I've seen some micro-repulsors but not any that small and compact. What kind of power source?"

Kid beamed at the compliment and held up the gauntlet and pressed as a thin flat panel along the inside of the device and a slim power-cell popped up allowing him to pluck free, "Something of my own design, but they only provide enough charge for a single use right now."

He flipped the cell between his fingers and popped it into a socket on his utility belt, "I've got a class-c power-cell from an old LorTec Heavy blaster rifle in the belt setup to quick charge the cells."

He pulled a second cell from the belt beside the first and slotted it back into place on the gauntlet and grinned, Fini held up his hand with a single finger waggling in warning, Kid laughed and then extended his hand to the table and made as if to grab at the micro-welder on the table, this triggered the gauntlet and the small device jumped through the air into the Kid's hand, where he twirled it through his fingers,

"It's also got a micro-tractor beam generator in the array, gesture based interface controls which on gets used based on hand position."

Fini's grin went ear to ear as he crossed to take a closer look at the palm array of the gauntlet, "How?"

The Kid chuckled and closed his hand hiding the array, "You didn't think I was just sitting around on the ship all day did you? I met this old guy down near the markets, he's an old mandalorian or something, knows more about working metal and firm micro-circuitry that anyone I've ever seen and I've seen alot. We were both talking about ways to level the playing field with ya'll and ended up hashing out ways to do that, this was one of the ideas we came up with. He showed me how to massage the small stuff and I did the procurement."

Fini nodded, it was definitely impressive work though he wondered how or even why an old mandalorian might end up bending metal near a jedi temple and a slight smiled crept across his lips, the answer was easy if you thought about it, for the same reason he and Sara were there. They might have been allies till recent events but mandalorians would never really trust the Jedi, "Any other bits?"

He asked curiously, the Kid flashed him his usual guarded smile,

"Nope, though the old man gave me this." the kid produced a slender 18cm blade of burnished grey metal sharpened to a gleaming edge he reached out to touch it but the blade disappeared as quickly as he'd brought it out, "He gave you a beskar kal?"

The question seemed to catch Kid off-guard and Fini smirked, the kid didn't even realize what the blade meant, "did he say anything when he gave it to you?"

"Ni kyr'tayl gai sa'ad" Kid replied as if repeating a sacred vow, which in the manda it very much was, he noticed Fini's eyes misting up a bit and turned serious, "What? You know what it means? Tell me?"

Fini smiled and ruffled the kid's hair, "He adopted you."

The look on the kid's face was something between shock and disbelief, he looked as if he was going to say something but then just pushed past him and disappeared through the door, a few seconds later he could hear the ramp drop, Fini shook his head and followed after him, he didn't know where the old man's shop was and decided to head back to his and Sara's apartment. A quick check of his chrono told him he should beat her back there by a few minutes...

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:30 pm

L'hnnar nodded in agreement with Adam's suggestion. "The more we know, the better equipped we may become," he added. "All the events that have transpired... the Xen'Chi, Sivter, Taylon, Onderon... with each passing moment, with each victory of out enemies, the galaxy is sent deeper into chaos, and darkness. The dark side is revealing itself, and if we cannot stand to face this terror, then who can?"

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:30 pm

"We cannot act recklessly or out of ignorance," Faye agreed, "We went into Alsakan with very little information about what we would be facing and we paid the price for it. Our options now are limited. The galaxy is on the verge of collapsing into chaos and our allies, it seems, are ill-equipped to handle this threat. We must face this danger alone. We must discover where our enemies are hiding and end the threat at its source. Countless billions may die in the process but we cannot waste resources defending everyone, not while the enemy remains one step ahead of us."

She tried her best to sound strong and keep her voice level but news of her padawan's involvement on Onderon came as a complete shock to her. She had thought Elena's infiltration of the Cult of Shadow would have dire ramifications for the girl but thankfully she managed to hang onto the light. She never would have thought that Aaralyn could fall into darkness, it was never in her nature.

Jedi_Kit_Fitsu
Ave Imperator

Post by Jedi_Kit_Fitsu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Guun stared the newcomer along with the creature near him, "So, can he understand me?"

Turning to look at the creature, Guun tried to focus his energy and through the Force find a way to communicate. "My name is Guun Vao, can you understand me?" He tried to focus intently enough to pick up a response before he turned to the newcomer, "My apologizes, I havn't even asked for your name and here I am trying to ask for his."

Standing up he stuck out his hand, "I am Guun Vao, and you are?"
McCaffery: There are creatures in the deep you couldn't imagine in your worst nightmares.
Arthur 'AC' Curry: Oh thats reassuring. Thanks a lot.

"When someone stands in the way of justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart" Ras Al-Gul - Batman Begins

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am

The wyrwulf gave his version of a smile to Sylva. Basic-speakers might not understand the subtleties of gestures in languages belonging to species like Cordu-Ji and the Wookies, but the wyrwulf could tell this little one understood.

"So, he can understand me?" Gunn replied. The wolf stood up on all six in response. He locked gazes with the tall alien, trying his best to reveal the intelligence behind the animalistic black and green eyes, then nodded once. He was still a child by many standards, including his own, but he wasn't a dumb child! Hoping he had made an impression, the wolf laid back down.

"My name is Guun Vao, can you understand me?"

Words in his brain! The wulf instinctively perked his head into the air and shook it as though an insect had flown into his pointy ear. Obviously Guun was responsible for the disembodied voice that he could hear inside his head, but even after the initial shock had worn off, the wolf had no idea how to respond. A voice...no, it was not a voice, more like a sensation. He could feel the words coming to him not in his ears or his brain, but his very soul. He could sense Guun connecting to him even from a distance. "This is the power of the Jedi," he thought. "This is why I was exiled."

Wait, can he hear my thoughts too?

Before either of them had much time to reflect on these possibilities, the wyrwolf caught the end of Jade's sentence.

"It seems we have a new student," she gestured to the wyrwulf lying beside her, "Our friend here will need lodgings."

Lodgings? Lodgings... that's not food...no, of course, it's a place to stay! The wyrwolf rose to his feet with an excited whine. Excellent! Oh, so excellent that the occasion deserved a long, satisfying howl. The wolf leaned his head up into the air, wagged his tale with glee, and howled joyously. He was going to miss his parents, the other wolves, and his home world... but now, the wyrwulf had a chance for purpose.

Free food, free room, plenty of space to run around, and of course... Jedi training, perhaps? Would his father be proud of him now... No, probably just more ashamed. That's why I'm here, he remembered. No... not anymore. Now... I'm here to become a Jedi.

The wolf turned to Jade, wagging his tale to get her attention. What should he do now? Where should he go? The wolf bustled with questions he couldn't ask.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:35 am

Arilyn was on her way to the medical ward, her thoughts a jumbled mess of torn emotions. Everything she learned about her past and about herself began to make an eerie kind of sense. She was a clone, derived from the DNA of a girl named Fiona. That by itself the young Sylarian thought was tolerable, but the fragmented dreams she'd been having at night? Now she knew that those were Fiona's memories. The Guardian was as much surprised to learn about that as she was to learn about herself. Fiona's memories should not have transferred over through the cloning process and yet they did, but how?

"Oomph," she said aloud when she turned a corner and bumped into a young girl about a foot or two taller than her. Her eyes lanced up to meet the gaze of Kayla Masi, a girl she recognized but knew very little about.

"I'm sorry," she quickly apologized, "I wasn't watching where I was going."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:03 am

Ossu had left the creature to his meal and set off to find this 'Arice Quinn' in theory it should have been easy. She'd managed to locate his quarters, but he was not there, she'd wandered through the training area's the cantina's, the library... Nothing...

She'd resorted to asking about him, very few people knew anything about him. Apparently he'd been a very prominent figure in the battle at Ruusan, one or two had remarked on how impressive and unique his sword-play was...

Curved blade lightsabres? Was that even possible?! She'd never heard of it before, and couldn't imagine how it could even be done...

Eventually after quizzing everyone she could find and wandering the temple for what seemed like an age - she was told he was last seen walking outside into the forest.

Outside, the temple, after wandering around for a while she found some evidence of his presence, a rock with bubbled up melted parts in it, a tree with a clean burn mark through the centre, and sticks, about the size of ignited lightsabres in the ground, he'd been here, it seemed he'd been and been training - but where did he go next? The number of sticks, implied there had been at least two people sparring - the likely amount given the mans reputation for Jar'Kai... Or more, but two seemed likely.

After looking carefully at the dust and the where the grass had been flattened she ascertained that he'd probably wandered off towards the family accomodations of the temple... Interesting... He had a family? The more she learned about this zabrak, the more intrigued she was about who he was - it almost took her mind off the fears about the safety of her master Ansari, as she followed the trail she played idly with her Lekku, within it's restricting muzzle, each pull and flick on the left hand one, causing the right hand one to sway and the joining chains to jangle.

Sometimes it was uncomfortable, frustrating even - to have her brain tails restricted in this way, and other times they were a source of comfort, onlookers would have neither guessed that the muzzling headpiece was originally her mothers, nor even more surprisingly that she'd been fitted with it by choice.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:16 am

Some time after the meeting in the Jedi Council chambers had ended Faye was in her quarters packing her things. She made sure her lightsaber and shoto's were clipped to her belt, her shield gauntlets were strapped to her arms and the staff that made up her Qinata was close at hand. Armed with everything she needed she left the room and headed down the corridor towards the hangar.

"I take it you're not going out for a picnic," a young girl's voice said and Faye turned around to see Anastasya standing behind her.

"No," Faye answered sadly, "there is--something I must do and it won't be easy."

"This is about that Jedi that helped the Empire attack the temple, isn't it?"

Faye's eyes widened in surprise, she hadn't thought the students had heard about that yet. "Go back to your room, Padawan," Faye told her, assuming her stern instructor tone. Anastasya stared at her a moment longer then sighed and walked away. Faye watched her leave until she was out of sight then she continued her walk to the hangar. Several of the new stealth fighters were already there and though she wasn't cleared to fly them she intended to borrow one anyway. It's stealth systems would help her land on Onderon without being detected and she could always apologize to Adam later.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission, she thought as she powered the vessel up and closed the canopy. There were several shouts from surprised deck hands but Faye ignored them and blasted out of the hangar. She cleared that atmosphere in a matter of seconds then she keyed in the coordinates for Onderon into the navicomputer and jumped to hyperspace...

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:45 am

Arice was striding after Iara, thinking about what she'd said. She was right of course, he couldn't find fault in any of her observations. He found himself admiring her strength of character and determination, he also found himself cursing his many years and battle-scars and thinking that if circumstances had placed them at a more compatible age - he would have liked to have been more than simply friends with her... But to even consider such a thing now would only be fool-hardy, so he'd take friends, if it was there for the taking.

As they strode in silence towards their destination, a young Twi'Lek, looking like she was only a teenager, wearing pure white robes rounded the corner.

She looked at him, then Iara, then spoke, "Quinn? Arice Quinn?" The zabrak she'd set eyes on was nothing short of breath-taking, he was clearly in his sixties and appeared to have had a hard life. A horn was clearly chopped in half - presumably by a lightsabre and even with his robes on, she could see a network of scars. It was a stark contrast to her Master, Ansari Avator or Ansaria'vator. She had been a strong objector to violence, and believed that the Jedi way was one of avoiding violence, an exponent of Form Zero, the only lightsabre form Ansari had ever taught Ossu was Sorensu, or Form III. Here was a Jedi who looked like conflict incarnate.

He looked up, with a puzzled look on his face, as he saw her he looked at the white robes, the red skin, then the young face - framed by the decorated muzzle, restricting her Lekku, "Yes... That's me."

She looked a little embarressed at him at this point, what to say? "I erm, I'm sorry but I borrowed your starship - it would have been destroyed in the bombarment if I didn't, we needed transport and erm, I've looked after it- there's not a scratch on her!"

Quinn raised an eyebrow, and saw the extended red skinned hand holding his keycard, "Hmmm, I suppose I should thank you, I thought it was destroyed... Hmmm..." He pushed the hand brandishing the keycard back towards her, "You can have it, it's yours, consider it a reward for rescuing so many young Jedi from the temple..." She looked stunned, "I didn't tell..." He cut her off, "You didn't need to, I can guess you filled up with passengers, you've saved lived padawan - you deserve it."

Iara cast Quinn a slightly befuddled look - that he appeared to be giving away a ship, more or less on a whim - tens of thousands of credit's worth... At the drop of a hat. Before she could say anything Ossu thrust the keycard back at him, "I am a Jedi, I did my duty - I cannot accept a reward." Sensing that she was determined Quinn took the keycard, with a look of deep respect, "You do yourself great credit, for one so young - who are you? And who is your Master?"

She looked down a little embarressedly now, "Padawan Ossu Ikari, my Master is Ansari Avator - another Twi'Lek... I... I don't know what's become of her though - she ordered me to flee the temple in your ship with the younglings and the young apprentices.. I..." Quinn cut her off, "We're off to speak to Grand Master Sage, to see what we can discover about the attack - why don't you come too? Perhaps we can ask of Ansari's whereabouts? "

She nodded, "Thank you Master Quinn." As they walked Arice smiled at her, "Arice, please - I am nobodies Master, and not a Jedi Master by title either- and you are very welcome, you're a credit to your Master."

She fell in behind Iara and Quinn, following a respectful distance behind with her head bowed slightly.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:36 am

"My goodness, child," said Iara in surprise. "You're walking behind us like a slave." She'd seen lekku-binders like that, but this looked voluntary; the possibility baffled her. Her remaining headtail twitched, then curled itself over her shoulder. She placed a hand on Arice's shoulder and half-turned, stopping them both. "At the very least, Ossu Ikari, keep your head up. A twi'lek woman should bow to nobody."

"Sorry, Master Jedi..."

"And I'm not a Master either." Iara barked a laugh. "As luck would have it, you've run into the two most overqualified Knights in the Jedi Order. Come walk with us."

Belatedly she realized her hand still rested on Arice's shoulder; after a moment, she removed it.

Ossu still lagged behind just a little as they walked through the Temple complex in open air. As they approached the slim bridge at the northeast corner - the bridge that led to the Council chambers - they found more and more Jedi waiting there for news. A man was just crossing the bridge. Pale brown armour was covered by a Jedi outer-robe; his face was sharp and his eyes purple. As usual, Iara felt some confusion being around Ember Rekali. She'd known him moderately well when he was a teenage Detori in her custody. Then there had been rumours...and now he was back, somehow decades older, having apparently lived a whole life in some kind of pocket universe or accelerated timestream or something. Now he was older than her - closer to Arice's age. Founder of this Temple, Jedi Master, father of four. The Ember Rekali she'd known had been a careless killer, a half-Vahla kid with a grudge a mile wide. Even when he was Lyn's Padawan, elements of that remained. The trick, she'd found, was to see him as a whole different person.

Questions bombarded Ember as he wove through the crowd of Jedi. "The Council is deliberating," he said. "The Council is deliberating."

He caught sight of Iara and blinked. With a shrug and a sigh, he tilted his head in the direction of the library. As he moved past the crowd, Iara, Arice and Ossu followed. They ducked inside the library.

"Iara."

"Rekali."

Ember nodded. "I suppose if I owe anyone some information, it's you."

"Spill."

"Based on the reports, it looks like someone stole an Eclipse-class command ship and bombarded the Onderon temple. Most of the Jedi were already away. The Council is deliberating about what to do, but I've been asked to take care of some things in the meantime. Master Arice - can I talk to you alone for a moment?"

Iara and Ossu ducked away, and Ember confronted the Zabrak. "I've been asked to put together a few teams of people who can work at the edge without being tempted. People who can hide well, fight well, and have some degree of brains for investigation. Hunting down threats to the Order seems to be our primary task. They used to be called the Jedi Shadows. We haven't worked together, but your reputation matches what I need, and you're pretty high on the list."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 am

Arice raised an eyebrow, he'd heard whispers of the shadows, but hadn't even been sure they existed. He shrugged softly, "It's more or less all I've been doing since I've rejoined the order, Perem Thoje, Maris Eterna, Darius Malakai, Darth Sirena... Although I have to say with limited success. I'd be happy to do my duty as always - but I'm not sure of how much use I'd be to you, there are Jedi around who are stronger in the force, I have a reliable sword arm and am well practiced at hiding - but how far that goes... I'm not sure."

Ossu followed Iara away from the somewhat grizzled looking Arice Quinn, she'd been listening though - it didn't sound good for her Master, Ansari - it sounded like the temple had suffered a catastrophic assault... She was struggling not to bow her head, everyone seemed so confident, so important, so able to cope with what was tragic and terrible news... And Master Ansari? Tears started welling up in her eyes, she noticed Iara looking at her, then she noticed properly the severed Lekku, a genetic disorder? A lightsabre wound? Somehow she guessed the latter - stifling back her tears, she looked at Iara's Lekku then looked down again, ashamed to be asking, "What happened?"

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 am

"Yes, well, we'll balance you out with someone who's a wizard at the Force but horrible with a lightsabre. Or something like that. Bottom line, you seem to have a gift for surviving genuinely nasty situations and opponents. That's a good quality in our line of work.

"I'm starting a training session tonight. Will you be there? And would you be willing to share some thoughts on staying undetected?"

"Oh, the lekku?" Iara's fingers brushed the scar tissue. "Yes - lightsabre duel, back when I was a Sith Knight.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 am

Arice shrugged softly, "Of course I will, and if there's anything I can impart on staying hidden I'd be happy to impart any information on how to stay hidden... Although in honesty, I feel that staying hidden is possibly part of what cost me a proportion of what connection to the force I did have... Although admittedly, I was for decades... Give me a time and a place and I'll be there."

Ossu looked disgusted at Iara , "A Sith!? Urgh... I'm sorry Master Jedi..." her reaction had been unintended, fired by the naivity of youth, the lack of understanding caused by the unworldliness of being young. As soon she'd said it she felt ashamed to have reacted negatively, and again bowed her head and tried to distance herself from the single Lekku bearing Twi'Lek, trying to repent for her harsh remark by trying to show humility and respect. Turning away slightly she played idly with her left Lekku causing the chains to jangle slightly and the right one to sway a little as it was pulled to and throw by the chains.

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 am

The meeting had ended. L'hnnar was back in his quarters, assessing the various reports. He had a complicated task at hand, and it wasn't going to get any better with the news of this Eclipse on the loose. A faint sound came from the direction of the hangar, and L'hnnar glanced up just as one of their Stealth-X's blasted out of the temple area. He narrowed his eyes and hummed in response. Rash, Master Ward, he thought to himself. Too rash.

Faye wasn't the only one who held a connection to Aaralyn Blackthorne. She had been L'hnnar's student before hers, and what was more, L'hnnar held a level of responsibility over her that couldn't be matched by Faye. He felt he had failed Aaralyn's father. But, at the same time, how could he fail someone when it wasn't even his doing that she came to that point? Faye would have to realize the same thing, he figured. While it was their responsibility to teach Blackthorne of the Jedi ways, it was ultimately Aaralyn's choice, and her doing, that lead her down the path that both her mastered had feared she had ventured.

He looked over the console before him, searching through the records found within. So far he had managed to piece together the two attacks on Taylon by the Sith, and had gathered some intel on the Kuat incident. A separate report scrolled by. He frowned, and reread it. That ship... why was it so familiar? He cross-referenced the information, and leaned back. The information gathering would have to be put on hold for the time being.

L'hnnar made his way to his own personal ship and, within moments, he was out of the temple and on his way to the medical frigate in orbit above the planet. He was granted clearance to land, and upon touching down in the ship's hangar bay, he was greeted by one of the ship's crewmembers. "Master L'hnnar," the man said, "to what do we owe the pleasure?"

"I understand you have someone here undergoing intensive care," he said. "You received him perhaps a couple days ago."

The man shrugged. "There are many here currently under intensive care," he simply said. "The battle at Ruusan has brought quite a number of individuals to this ship. I'm afraid you will have to be more specific."

Of course, L'hnnar figured. Tracking one man alone would not be enough, given what had happened on Ruusan. Not without a name. "I believe his last name is... Blackthorne."

The crewmember searched his datapad for the information, before looking at the Whiphid and nodding. "This way, Master L'hnnar."

L'hnnar was lead through the ship to what was dubbed Ward 114. A staff member directed him to a room in the ward, and left the Whiphid alone with the single patient inside. He walked up to the individual hooked up to the extensive life support system. A heart rate monitor showed slower than normal vitals, and a breath mask was attached to a device that helped him breathe. The young man attached to the equipment had bandages wrapped around his midsection, despite the minimal blood stains. It was a lightsaber wound, L'hnnar immediately noted.

The individual hooked up to all the devices was unconscious, he noted. He had only heard of Guan Blackthorne, one of two of the sons to Cadden Blackthorne, but had never actually met the young man until now. Too bad it wasn't under more favorable circumstances, he thought grimly. Faarel's son had gone missing, possibly even dead, his daughter had potentially fallen to the dark side, and now one of his two grandsons lie before him, dieing. He shook his head slowly. Closing his eyes, L'hnnar concentrated, and placed his hands on the man's abdomen and forehead. A blue glow emanated from each hand as he focused on the Force. The wound in the abdomen was severe, he noted, beyond his capabilities for sure, but the least he could do was help stabilize the man's condition.

He continued to concentrate, let the Force flow through him, and within minutes he could hear the heart rate monitor begin to hasten. Finally, he withdrew from the position, and the man's eyes opened, weakly.

Guan looked at the image before him. His vision was blurry, and he had a hard time comprehending the sounds around him. "I have done what I can," the figure before him said. He could barely make out the words; they echoed as though they were buried in some deep cave, with no clear distinction as to where they came from. "Who..." he began, weakly, before he broke into a cough, "where...."

"My name is L'hnnar," the voice said. His vision was still blurred, and his hearing was still distorted. "I am a friend. You are safe, now, in orbit above Ossus on a medical frigate." A medical frigate. Ossus. But, how? How was he even still alive? "If I may... I would like to ask what happened?" There was no response. "You can trust me."

He thought for a moment. It was as if it were all a nightmare. But he knew it was real. "J..." he struggled with the word, he was too tired, too weak. "J... Jerik." Guan closed his eyes again. L'hnnar looked at the monitor, and showed no notable decrease in his vitals.

A staff member rushed into the room. "Master Jedi," he said, taking note in the surprise of the presence of another. No doubt, L'hnnar figured, the Mon Calamari was there in response to the increased vital signs. Whether his question was answered or not, he left it in the air.

"His wounds are deep," L'hnnar said. "I'm afraid it's beyond my capabilities." He would have suggested Master Chirushk's talents in the healing aspects of the Force, but from what he understood, the Mriss Jedi was busy at work in the temple's medical wing, and to transport the young man planetside was a bad idea, at best, in his condition. They would have to simply rely on the conventional methods, and time. "His condition should remain stable, however."

The other nodded. "We will be placing him in a bacta tank as soon as one is available," he said. "However, with all the patients we are seeing, and the wide spectrum of the severity of wounds, it might be some time. Bacta supplies have been frozen up, reports of some kind of nondescript trouble over at Thyferra have been placed as the cause."

Bacta. With the extent of his injuries, L'hnnar surmised he was going to be out of action for a good four, maybe six, months. He shook his head slowly, looking over the young man. There was nothing more he could do. As he turned to follow the staff member out of the room, a voice spoke from behind him. "Don't..." L'hnnar turned his head to see the man speaking again. "Don't... kill him."

I can't make any promises, he silently responded. It depended on if the Council wished to investigate the matter, and even if they did, who they would send. It was out of his hands.

OOC: Well, that was fun. :) I tried doing as much research as I could about lightsaber wounds, bacta, recovery time, etc. So, hopefully, all things considered, there aren't any factual errors in the end.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm

"That's valuable insight right there," said Ember to Arice. "We'll meet in an upper room in the building where the Council has their chambers, in two hours. Remember - this is fairly covert. We're not letting people know we're with the Shadows. Thanks again."

He nodded and vanished into the interior of the library. In the nearby medical wing, Chirushk was bringing operations up to his standards. Having no particular desire to get in the way of that, Ember sought out Disaara Lon.

"You're entitled to that reaction," Iara said, crossing her arms over her chest. "I expected to get it far more often than I actually have so far. It's entirely understandable.

"What I don't understand is why you're wearing a slave harness on your lekku. I know that kind - I know they're designed to be non-removable - but there's a way around anything, and I have trouble imagining that Jedi couldn't figure out a way. Which means it's at least partially voluntary."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:23 am

Arice nodded and wandered off to join the others.

Ossu bowed her head and backed away shyly, "It was... I just... I don't want to talk about it right now... I'm worried about Master Ansari and I... I just.... Can we talk about it some other time?!" She was welling up with tears as she spoke, stammering and struggling to get the words out.

Ossu was battling hard to keep her composure, but for the second time in her short life everything she knew had been torn apart and thrown into question. As she backed away she started crying proper, silent tears running down her cheeks, forcing her to turn away from Iara with embarressment.

Arice arrived from the other side - not seeing Ossu's tear stained face, "Iara, any news? " He caught her quizzical look and chuckled softly, "Oh, he'd heard about my Shotan interest was just asking me if I wouldn't mind meeting up for a caf and a chat on Shotan History and culture." He hoped it sounded suitably boring, there was no way for her to tell that he was being untruthful - but if she suddenly decided SHE wanted to learn about Shotan Culture - then he'd have to figure something else out.
Last edited by SmokeMare on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Iara made no comment. She felt as if she had no time for the kid's issues. Irritation warred with compassion.

"No news," she said as Arice came back. "Nothing beyond what we've heard from Ember and from Ossu here. And some of that's good - means I get a few days with Alu before something official comes along. Hopefully." She glanced around her at the high racks of datacards, the statues and artifacts. The library was one of the largest buildings in the city. Disaara Lon had filled it as best she could back when the Temple was first founded; more recently, the Great Library here on Ossus had been excavated, and its records brought here; and now the Order's librarian was bringing even more via the ships in orbit. High stone ceilings, recently reconstructed, let windows fill the air and shelves with evening light.

"I have some things I need to take care of, Arice. What are you doing in a couple of hours?"

Foxx
Secret Squirrel

Post by Foxx » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 pm

The female spacer just nodded and gave a polite smile. "It's okay." She said with a small shrug. "No harm, no foul. Honestly it's my fault though. I'm really distracted by this place. I just got here, off of the Onderon transports, so this whole place is kind of overwhelming for me." She said. "Who are you if you don't mind me asking?" She asked.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:45 am

Arice looked at Ossu, then back to Iara, and thought for a moment, "I have to meet up with Ember in a couple of hours... But erm, for the next couple of hours I'm free - but... I think until Ossu has heard about her Master, Master Ansari - maybe I should look after her? It's the least I can do for returning my starship."

Ossu turned on him briskly making the chains of her head muzzle jangle softly, her tear stained face looked angry, but deflated, "I don't need 'looking after'." Arice rested a hand on her shoulder, "I know, but you look like you could use some company." He turned to Iara, is the thing you need to attend to anything I can help you with Iara?"

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 am

Iara glanced at Ossu, then shrugged.

"A few years ago, when I ruled this sector, I took our entire fleet and every Darksider in the sector, and went to fight the Xen'Chi near Bakura. We ran a good campaign, but we ran ourselves into the ground. My fleet was scattered across Wild Space. Lately, though, I heard rumours that my people and my ships have been found - even seen in action. I'm going to use a private holopad to ask someone about it. You're both welcome to come along if you like. I may need some moral support anyways. Besides, my source may have more answers about who was behind the Onderon attack."

Ossu was hesitant, but nodded. "I'd like to find that out," she said.

A few minutes later, they were back in Iara's stone-walled apartment. The smells of dinner still permeated the place. Quirk was reading Alu a bedtime story in another room. Iara opened a door that had remained closed earlier, and ushered Arice and Ossu through.

"I've never used this number," she said, inputting the data. The room contained only a holopad. "Or the scramble-bounce codes. Whoever's at the other end of this has very high security."

The holopad shimmered, then projected a life-sized figure of a young human woman with very dark skin. She wore nondescript black. "Contact acknowledged. Name?"

"Ia'raklayne Beorht."

The black girl's face went very still. "Patching you through, Master Beorht." She shimmered and was gone; then she was replaced by a red-skinned woman with a high forehead and a long topknot. Tattoos covered her face: black rimmed her eyes, and stylized teardrops fell down her cheekbones. A small black dot on her chin matched two larger ones on her forehead, side by side. She wore black armour and a robe, and her yellow eyes said Sith just as clearly. On seeing her, Iara drew a quick breath.

"I... don't recognize her," Iara mumbled.

"Nor should you," said the woman. "You would recognize my Master, but I suspect you know that." Iara inclined her head in acknowledgement. "I have nothing but time right now, Master Beorht. Why do you contact me?"

"We have questions," said Iara. "Three years ago I lost a fleet in Wild Space near Bakura. Mostly ISDs and Sith-class Star Destroyers. Also a sector's worth of Darksiders of every power level. What happened to them?"

"Many of your people survived, Master Beorht. Biljan Szeni saw to that."

Iara drew a breath and smiled. "I'm relieved to hear it. Commodore Szeni was an honourable man and a good friend."

"He currently serves high in the navy of the Sith'ari Centrality. He is one reason your base on Ossus has not been attacked. Many of your men and ships now serve the Centrality. A man named Darth Sarastro organized a search and rescue effort. Ahh - you know that name."

"Darth Sarastro - the Dark Lord of the Sith'ari Centrality. Formerly Ald Sorosel, Detori. I chased him across this sector and back again. A smart man, Sorosel. More...altruistic than some."

"Nobody knows that Sorosel and Sarastro are one and the same. For my own purposes, I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread that information around."

"I don't, normally." Iara shot a glance at Arice and Ossu. "The Sith'ari Centrality could wipe us off the map here at Ossus, but they don't. Nobody understands why. If word got out that their Dark Lord was anything but what he says he is, it could destabilize things in a very negative direction. A weaker Centrality means it's more likely that other Sith factions would attack Ossus. So I keep that particular gem to myself." Obviously she regretted saying anything.

"Cogently analyzed," said the woman. "Was there anything else?"

"Onderon," said Iara. The red-skinned woman drew a breath. "I assumed Onderon would come up. The truth is, I'm unsure myself as to who perpetrated that. My Master has a friend who works for someone who's friendly with the person that I believe stole the ship and bombarded your Temple. In keeping with the Sith Purge, I have no problem with telling you that I believe the person you're looking for cannot be found in the Sith Empire or the Cult of Shadow. You're looking for a third player."

"And your allegiance is...?"

"None whatsoever, and there it will remain. I don't serve the Sith Empire or the Cult. It's my suspicion that the perpetrator of the Onderon raid can be found in the Crimson Empire."

The red-skinned woman turned her attention to Arice and Ossu. "Arice Quinn, also known as Raynard. My sympathies on your recent loss. Tell me, Master Quinn - and you too, child - do you have any questions for me today? It seems to be a day for such things. Don't look at me that way, child. You think you know the Sith - you think they're all wanton murderers. I'm an agent of the Sith Purge. I hunt Darksiders; I hunt the murderers, the butchers, the animals in sentient form. I'm not on your side, but I would rather work with your average Jedi than your average Sith. In fact I frequently do. Today you have a direct pipeline to one of the most well-connected Sith in the universe...and she's in the mood to answer."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 am

Arice didn't have to think, "What can you tell me about the Sith known as 'Darius Malakai' I'd like to know anything and everything about him, his history, whereabouts, powers... And a Trandoshan Rissk - who was captured on Dathomir - do you know where she is or what has become of her?"

Ossu shrugged, "Only the whereabouts and wellbeing of my Master Ansari Avator."

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am

"I know nothing about Ansari Avator. I had two sources on Onderon; one left with the Jedi flotilla that now orbits Ossus, and the other died in the assault. I do know that Master Avator was on Onderon at the time of the assault, but beyond that I can't say.

"I know of whom you speak, Master Quinn. I met Darius Malakai on a battlemoon over Dathomir, some time ago. My Master bartered with him - knowledge for knowledge. My Master had recently absorbed the spirit of Darth Kren, he who created the modern Sith Empire. He was having some difficulty with the absorption - a technique that Malakai had taught him, actually - and Malakai was able to help him with that."
The red-skinned woman's eyes flickered. "Then Malakai attempted to uncover some...blocked memories. He failed."

Iara let out a breath.

"He spoke with...a friend...about the intricacies of extradimensional travel. Travel between universes, and the dangers of the spaces between them. He showed my friend, as I watched, how it's possible to catch a lightsabre blade with your bare hands, and suggested that technique would help in further mastery of Force Lightning. He made a...lightsabre of sorts...out of lightning held in containment.

"He told us of Rissk - of how she traveled in time to save your life. Since then, he says you have become unique. 'A vague cloud in the destinies,' I believe is how he put it. He has great difficulty sensing you or the outcomes of your actions. He speculated about killing you from afar. I watched a holorecording of Malakai killing a Jedi named Brembla Kol-Rekali. He's fast, he has fangs and he uses them.

"That's the extent of my firsthand experience. My Master tells me that Malakai is something like twenty-six thousand years old, spent much of it as a wandering spirit, and habitually absorbs the spirits of other Force-users. He's one of the very very few Darksiders my Master wouldn't fight.

"As for his current whereabouts, my Master can contact him, but I don't know where Malakai is. Nor do I know what has befallen Rissk since her capture. My Master believes she is not dead."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:19 am

Quinn found the answer disturbing and disheartening, 26,000 years old? Travelling to other dimensions, catching lightsabres in his hand, making lightsabres out of thin air... Habitually absorbs spirits? The phantoms they'd encountered battling Sirena seemed to be the very tip of the iceberg. "Thankyou... I fear it may be worse that I first thought... I should also tell you that Malakai is capable of creating a multitude of lightsabre wielding phantoms from the far side of the galaxy - in places where he should NOT be able to exert his influence... This was near the central chamber at the valley of the Jedi."

He turned to Iara, "I've had dealings with Malakai before... But nothing could prepare me for this!"

Ossu stood silently, fighting back the tears - she felt lost and alone...

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:25 pm

"My Master has some theories on how Malakai might be defeated or weakened, but I will not discuss them now. He does believe that Malakai was weakened by the events on Ruusan, when Adam Sage blasted his phantoms with Force Light.

"New information is coming in. It appears...I'm sorry. It appears Master Ansari was killed on Onderon. I'm unsure of the details."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Ossu looked crestfallen... The it almost looked like her whole face sank and fell to a lighter shade of pink. She turned away from the screen and started desperately stifling tears. Part of her wanted to demand how this person knew it was true, and swear that she didn't believe it. Part of her wanted to know how and why...

It wasn't worth it though, she knew it was true... She couldn't explain how but she knew. The fact was her Master, who had been more than a Master, more of an adoptive mother for the last four or five years was dead...

Questions were raging in her head, she was not ready to face trials - finding Masters to apprentice students seemed hard - there were a lot simply turning up to classes, and they had no direction - no drive to progress. Should she leave the order? In some respects everything she knew, the whole life that Ansari had advertised to her - was now gone...

Arice was a little uncomfortable at this scene, she was still young, innocent, and a little naive. He stepped back and put his arm around her, pulling her close to him, "It's alright, let it out... It's okay to feel like this." It hadn't been the way in the old republic - it would have been 'be joyful your master has become one with the force and died doing their duty.' but times had changed, Arice had to change with them.

Ossu started crying harder and hugging Arice back, she became a little unnerved at how solid his frame felt. There was no sign of softness, it was like hugging dura-steel with robes on. It was comforting all the same, she buried her head in his chest and sobbed.

Arice turned to Iara, "I think we've learned all we can learn here... Unless there's something you need to speak to your *ahem* contact here - I suggest we go somewhere quiet for a bit?"

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:43 am

Corris Fern had been monitoring the communications station for some time before the message from the mysterious fleet came in.

The fact was, it was such an unusual message, and she was unfamiliar with the protocols here, having just been transfered from Onderon only a few weeks ago - she genuinely didn't know how to respond. After making several failed attempts to contact Master Sage, or any of the Council - she decided the best course of action was to invite this newcomer to the surface. It had just come at a terrible time, on the one hand the Jedi feeling the aftermath of the battle of Ruusan, and then still taking casualties from the destroyed temple at Onderon.

"Archer Sol, this is Corris Fern. On behalf of the Jedi Council I would like to invite you to the Ossus temple to discuss your 'gift' and our future co-operation."

There - she'd done it, she just hoped it wasn't a Sith trick - or she'd be in serious trouble.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 am

Never happened
Last edited by Red Dragon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 am

Arice was waiting for Iara's response when he suddenly shuddered softly, and a troubled look grew on his face. Iara looked at him quizzically, "Arice? What's the matter?"

He muttered under his breath, in a surprised tone, "She's here.." Ossu, now looked around, starting to control her tears, "Who's here?" Arice shook his head, "Rissk, she's somewhere on the planet - what the frell would she be doing here?"

Ossu shrugged softly, "If she's your friend would she be looking for you?" Arice seemed baffled, "I don't know... I... I sense the darkside - she may be here to duel me... Though I don't know... It doesn't feel right, I... I genuinely don't know."

Iara sighed deeply, "Arice, even if she has embraced the darkside of the force - it doesn't automatically mean she's here to fight you - find her, talk to her."

Arice mused for a second, then sighed, "I have to confront her at least, know what has happened... I don't know what I'll find, and I don't feel it's fair asking you to join me." Ossu cut in, "I... I want to come, I'll come with you." Arice looked at the young Twi'Lek and rested a hand on her shoulder, "It could be dangerous, I can't stop you - so if you insist on joining me - then I will do my best to protect you."

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 pm

The holographic woman frowned. "Rissk - on Ossus? Strange. And valuable information. May the Force be with you."

The Sith Lord disappeared. The reformed Sith Lord nodded. "Of course I'll come with you, Arice."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 pm

"Arilyn," the Sylarian replied, "I'm Master Chirushk's padawan. I heard he came over here from Onderon so I was going to see him. Would you like to come with?"

She doubted the other girl would, Chirushk had a bit of a reputation about him and most people tended to stay out of his way. He also had the unfortunate tendency to rub off of the easily impressionable Arilyn who had adopted some of his more--colorful habits. Still, though, Arilyn thought she should ask, it was the polite thing to do.

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:32 pm

With Iara and Ossu in tow Arice left for his ship and was soon touching down in the Capital City Starport. Unknown to Arice Rissk had already touched down and was looking at a reconditioned YT1300.

Iara and Ossu were getting impatient by the time Arice had led them to the Star Ship dealers. After exploring the third used shipyard Ossu folded her arms tightly and let out a big 'Hmmph', "Master Quinn - Are you certain Rissk is even here? I mean if she was here - why on Ossus would should be wandering around trying to purchase an space-ship?" Quinn shrugged, "I have no idea... I'm sure she's here, maybe she's escaped from Malakai and she's somehow got here and is looking for a..."

He stopped mid sentence. There in the distance, walking down the ramp of what looked like a fairly tired YT1300, was a hidden figure in swathes of exquisite velvet. As she reached the bottom of the ramp she turned and looked him square in the eye. Was this what Malakai had intended? A Rendevous with her oldest friend - the blademaster of old republic... What could that achieve.

Ossu and Iara stood uneasily, the trandoshan clearly wearing the trappings of a Sith Lord. Quinn, simply walked closer, his jaw dropped, "Rissk..."

Rissk approached him with a snort, "Hmmph! You didn't take long to find a replacement for me! Who are your 'friends' ? " Arice looked her up and down, "I wanted to find you - but I didn't know where you'd gone, Malakai's Battle Moon had left Dathomir shortly after I... Your eyes? Ethan said that Sith witch Cair had eaten them!?" Rissk shrugged, "She did... I grew them back and paid her back for the trouble... You nearly killed Maris Eterna you know?" Arice almost fell over, "Almost?! I nearly cut her in half?!"

Rissk chuckled softly under her breath, "You know so little of the Master, he is an ancient Sith Spirit, older than the Jedi Order itself, older than the old republic, and his host - the current body he inhabits is a pure blood Vankyr... They do not age, they do not die, they can move faster than the eye can track..." Arice shrugged, "Nothing would surprise me about Malakai, I have to say one of the reasons I didn't come searching for you - It seemed so futile going against Darius Malakai." Rissk sighed deeply, "You are probably right... I've travelled to other dimensions with him, seen him destroy thousands of life-forms with a mere thought from the far side of the galaxy, stop-time, destroy stars with a thought - I even witnessed him force-throwing a planet at another planet... He hints that he hasn't really exhibited the full potential of his powers yet."

Arice listened, and started to feel sick, "Force-Throw a planet? An entire Planet? Stop-time?" Rissk nodded softly, "When I duelling Perem Thoje, he froze time around us... When I witnessed him duelling Xerchid, he was constantly time-walking, or jumping back a few moments in time... Even if you could strike him with a lightsabre - he seems able to grab lightsabre blades with no effort, I don't know if a lightsabre would penetrate his skin."

Arice was baffled, he was hearing and understanding - but it wasn't making any sense, "And the Jedi Order? Is he planning on destroying it?" Rissk shrugged again, "Malakai doesn't work like that - he can futures, all the possible futures, he knows whats happening everywhere and anywhere and any when - however he's always concerned about unravelling the fates or tilting the balance. So though he wields limitless power in some respects, he is very concerned about using it. Besides, he believes Darth Trayus, is attempting to destroy the Jedi Order and Sivter is trying to subdue the galaxy - why get in there way? He moves with subtlety, a tiny deed here or there that will affect things in tiny ways which nobody could percieve. Do you remember telling me about Shotan culture? The Bosari trees? The miniature trees which dedicated owners spend decades carefully pruning in order to shape. That's Malakai, that's how he sees the galaxy - as his own giant, living breathing Bosari tree."

Arice looked at Rissk with dismay, "And you? You've fallen to the darkside?" Rissk shrugged, "There's no need to reach for your sabre Quinn, we're still friends - but there are things I must do, that can only be done from the shadows. Malakai has revealed I have a brother... Srissk... The people who I met on Dosha claiming to be my parents were NOT my parents. I need to meet Srissk, and know what happened - I need to know who I am, and the only way to do that is by meeting Srissk, a member of the Cult of Shadow... Malakai tells me now is not the time... "

Arice looked sadly at her, "You always found the darkside easier - even before you'd learned about the force, you were one to let your emotions get the better of you." Rissk nodded defiantly, "Hmmph! Yes, but the darkside has made me powerful, I have since defeated Cair and Maris Eterna, and another Ancient Sith, a servant of Xerchid the Devourer... Malakai has implanted the mastery of Ancient force-techniques and lightsabre forms."

Arice reached to his sabre, but she stopped him with taloned claw on his hand, "I'm not here to duel you Quinn, I'm here to buy a ship."

Ossu glared at her - her world torn apart by respectable Jedi speaking calmly, if a little coldly, she had to speak out, she looked crossly at Arice and Iara, "I can't believe your speaking to these people! It's not right! Onderon!" Iara looked uncomfortably at Arice then Rissk, Rissk sighed, "Malakai had nothing to do with Onderon - his plans are far subtler and far reaching, He doesn't age - his spirit is ancient, truly ancient - he makes his plans over centuries and decades... He would never do anything so brash as 'Onderon'. "

Malakai was turning out to be both more frightening and enigmatic than Arice could ever have imagined. The council had to be told about this news.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:03 pm

"My name is Iara, Rissk. We couldn't replace you in Arice's affections if we tried. He worries about you a great deal. You see, Ossu," said Iara, switching her attention to the girl, "there's nothing to be gained by bravado or aggression. Rissk has been a loyal friend to Arice for a long, long time; even I know that. It's always right to speak with respect even - or especially - when you disagree; compassion has great power. If I were Rissk in this situation - and I've been in a very similar situation - I'd be comforted to know that he still cared.

"When I was a Sith, the things that drew me to the Jedi were compassion, caring, and respect. Some Jedi respected me as a person despite our differences. And because they treated me as if I was worth something to them, I repented and became a Jedi. Master Rekali, who founded the Ossus Jedi Temple, also started his Forcer career as a Darksider, and became a Jedi because of the respect and courtesy and compassion that a Jedi Knight named Lyn-Char Beorht showed him.

"Not everyone who follows the Dark Side is a bad person. Some are confused, some were raised wrong, some don't know any other way, a few are half-way forced into it by circumstance. Not everyone who follows the Light Side is a good person. Pride, promiscuity, arrogance, an urge to compete and dominate, to be pre-eminent...Jedi and other Lightsiders are people too. Nobody's perfect."

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:39 am

Rissk chuckled at this, "Malakai doesn't seem to think light and dark side are any indication of a person being good or evil, I don't think he even understands the concept - He describes being a disciple of the darkside as being 'free of your moral shackles'. I... There's something else you should know Quinn - firstly, I am carrying a clutch of eggs... And secondly in a manner of speaking the father is um, you..."

Arice scewed his face up, "Wha... But how? Trandoshans and Zabrak can't... But we've nev..." Rissk sighed deeply, "Look, first of all - you've been cloned. When Maris Eterna lopped off your horn, Cair used the horn to clone you. The clone has become a Vankyr... As have I... Something about the combination of all these things have made it possible, what will be result - I don't know, some sort of Trandoshan, Zabrak, Vankyr hybrid..."

Quinn was screwing his face up, cloned? And his clone had... He looked her square in the eye, "Do you think Malakai wants you tell me all this? " Rissk shrugged again, "He knows everything everywhere - he didn't tell me not to have this conversation so I can only assume he wanted me to have this conversation... And on that note - should leave."

Arice nodded solemnly, "You've changed Rissk, you have a new air of seriousness about you..." Rissk nodded too, "Many things have changed... I'm still me though, and I'm still your friend, I'll come and find you at some point - I've missed you."

Arice nodded sadly, "I've missed you too - I always will." With that Rissk turned her back on the three of them, and started walking, saying over her shoulder, "I'm still me Quinn, I'm still me... Iara, Ossu..."

Ossu turned to Iara, "I'm sorry Master Iara... I'm so confused... Everything was so simple, Ansari painted the galaxy as this simple place with clear distinctions... Black, white, light, dark, good, evil.... I..."

She looked about to break down in tears... Arice simply stood there - lost in his thoughts.

Beorht
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:38 am

Iara shook her head.

"There are clear distinctions, most of the time, but they don't apply that way. People are always a mixture of both. Those words describe some directions we could be heading, on average." Privately she considered Ansari hopelessly naive, but commenting on that just wouldn't be right. "There's a tiny difference between using the Dark Side of the Force and following the Dark Side of the Force. Palpatine followed the Dark Side - he flat out made the choice to be evil. Darth Vader used the Dark Side, because of what he felt he needed to do, and it corrupted him. The Dark Side eventually twists the way you think. It also becomes addictive.

"Here's a thought for you, Ossu. A year or two back, the Cult of Shadow started using a poison that cuts the target off from everything but the Dark Side. Kalja Leidias was dosed with it, and as a result - out of a justified fear of her own inner darkness - she decided not to use the Force at all. So did another Jedi, one I know by reputation, a Knight named Ashin Varanin. But what about the sense of duty of a Jedi who can only use the Dark Side, if anything? Does she access the Force through anger to do good, knowing it may likely corrupt her, or does she do only what another non-Force-sensitive can do? And who are we to judge her choice?"

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:47 am

Ossu watched Rissk vanish into the next street, listening to Iara, but in a distant way. She sniffled softly and wiped a tear from her young face, "I'm sorry Master Iara, Master Arice... I... I'm not really much of a Jedi am I? And what's to become of me? I don't think I could take sitting classes with the rest of the initiates... Not when I'd come so far, learned so much... But now..."

Arice and Iara exchanged a brief knowing glance, Arice sighed, "Come on - lets go get a Caf before we head back to the temple."

They entered a Cantina and took a seat, Arice handed a few Cred chips to Ossu, "Get us all a Caf." As Ossu headed to the bar he turned to Iara, "There's nobody taking on apprentices at the moment... I couldn't ask you a tiny favour? I think, maybe she'd be, erm, you could.... Ahem... Do you have an apprentice?"