The Jedi Temple on Ossus

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Gonzo Bodhisattva

Re: The Jedi Temple on Ossus

Post by xfiend1013 »

"How I got this in my lap is beyond me." Uniodon huffed. "I may be old, but that doesn't mean I'm only good for keeping tabs on new equipment."

Crick was with him, he'd been nominally assigned to the old Knight as a Padawan.

"New bacta supplies." Crick said. "But we're just routing them. Going out to the temple on Onderon." He said, putting another datapad on his desk and signing an invoice.

Deep down, Uniodon wanted a piece of the shattered temple. The comings and goings of the generations of Jedi would be imprinted upon the stone.

But so would their violent end. The stone was doubtlessly tainted.

"Hey Boss-man. Wake up." Crick said, thumping Uniodon with a chitinous wrist.

"Right..." Uniodon said. "So, haul the bacta out, we've got a request for some more in the orbital facilities. Transfer them six cases of what they need out of the stock going to Onderon."

"They need ten." Crick said.

"And Onderon needs twenty. We've got eighteen total. Medstar is going to be providing some support to Onderon, so we can take a few out of their allotment. Meanwhile, if we can get our new 'gifts' cleared off the landing pads, we can land one of the orbital medical frigates and offload patients to the infirmary here."

"I'll get loading droids and start clearing the pads." Crick said. Uniodon merely looked at him for a serious moment.

"Oh, and, uh, I'll have anything we don't need right away loaded back onto the ships and have them orbit to clear up room." He said.

"Now you're thinking. I'll message flight control and tell them to get that ready." Uniodon said, sipping at some tea. He thrashed into the pile of paperwork.

A huge stone golem stood at the door.

"Master... you... are... needed... at... the... medical... bay." It said, dragging out each word.

"My turn healing again?" He groaned. "By the Force, I'm getting weak. I'm an old man!"

He rummaged through the desk and drew out a pack of herbal cigarras. Then hit the comms. "I'll be ready in a minute. I've got to make sure the very few loader droids I have aren't wasting their time!"

He lit one of the cigarras and started instructing the golem to pick up a huge cargo container and get it to the launch pad.

Within a few minutes he was wandering merrily down the way, then sat down and started concentrating by the side of an unconscious Jedi who was waiting on a bacta tank.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

The only Jedi Knight on the Jedi Council was sitting in his quarters, thinking to himself. He, like many others, had heard the word of what had happened at Onderon. Now they had just found out that there was going to be a Cult of Shadow attack upon Mon Calamari, the capital of the New Republic. It seemed that no matter what the Jedi did, they were constantly under attack from multiple angles. They still didn’t know who had destroyed the City of the Jedi at Taylon. They didn’t know who had destroyed the Temple at Onderon, though who ever it was, they had managed to do so in a stolen Eclipse-class Super Star Destroyer. Now this, at Mon Calamari. There were so many threats, so many struggles, and only so many Jedi. Derek watched as his two twin baby boys played by themselves.

Ever since they had been born, they had been so quiet. Despite the raw power that they had, unmatched by any force user that Derek had ever met in his entire life, they seemed so innocent. One day, they would grow up to fight in battles like he had. He could only hope that they’d have a good example to follow when they looked at his life. Sahaja turned and looked at him, right then and there and gave his father a toothless smile.

“I’m sure we will, Father.”

Derek had grown accustomed to hearing the voices of his two sons through the Force, so it wasn’t that shocking to him when it happened. Jaidev turned and did something close to an equivalent of a head nod. He also drooled on himself a lot, which he was doing now. With a smile, Derek rose, picking up the younger of the two. Wiping at the boy’s mouth, he hefted Jaidev up and looked him square in the eyes.

“Care to explain your brother?” He asked.

”Sahaja’s crazy. Just yesterday he was trying to tell Salvatore about a piece of technology that Sal’s going to invent in five years. Why tell him now if he’s going to make it anyway. Pointless.”

”Start’s a chain reaction, dumb dumb.” Sahaja said.

”I’m not a dumb dumb, you’re a dumb dumb.”

“All of you are dumb dumbs.”

All three turned towards the new voice.

”Mommy!” The two boys cried at the same time, and Sahaja reached upwards, indicating that he was going up whether Rhyana liked it or not. The silver haired Silserian gave a wan smile as she walked over to them. She had been helping out at the med bay with the wounded who were trickling in from Onderon. While she looked tired, Rhyana had no problem picking up her other son, and giving Derek a kiss.

“Do you know if the Council is going to do anything about this Mon Calamari situation?” She asked.

“Unfortunately no. Daer’Gunn is away on Naboo, Kalja is with Delth and the Imperials, probably headed to Mon Calamari anyway. Faye just returned from Onderon, and L’hnnar is to be tasked with investigating the attack on Onderon.” Derek said.

Rhyana paused. “That does leave you and Adam.” She said.

“It does.” He agreed with a nod as she sighed. She knew what was coming. “I’m not going to ask you to stay here with this situation, but I would like for you to consider it.” He said. He looked at her with a small smile. “I lost you once, I don’t want to go through it again.”

“I’ll think about it. Go see who you’re going to take with you.”

OOC: Figured I'd do something quick to get the Jedi to Mon Cal ball rolling. Derek's the man to find if you want to head to Mon Cal.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"His name is Mikhail," Iara said. "He's currently a comatose god.

"But you're right: she does need a solid Master. I think you would do well in that role."

Kali Skywalker, the Temple Headmistress, bustled through the halls until she ran into Derek Muir.

"Most of us thought there were no survivors at Onderon," she said. "We're just finding out now. I'm going; Sorra can look after things while I'm gone. Will the Council be going? What would you like us to do?"
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

[OOC: To follow Rissk from this point, please read RoM:II The Coming of the Dariun]

Arice looked sheepish at this response, "I erm, I don't think that would be a good idea..." Iara looked closer at him, "How so? You've years of experience, isn't it time you passed your skills and knowledge on?"

Quinn shrugged, "Well, to be truthful, I think I've had perhaps a few too many years of experience... And I don't have a great track with apprentices. Generally whenever I've taken an apprentice they've been either killed, fallen to the darkside or both... Krokk, killed, Rissk turned to the darkside, Hood... Well I assume he's been killed - he dissappeared on Dathomir... I suppose there's Alleria - she got out while the going was good and became Daer'Gunn's apprentice."

Iara looked frustratedly at him, and grabbed his arm softly, "Listen Arice, you've got to stop beating yourself up like this. You implied there was a long line of failed students - in reality, I think Rissk will be okay - it may be your influence that saves her in the long run. Krokk and Hood, well, maybe it's time to atone for whatever went wrong there."

He sighed deeply, troubled by her somewhat accurate assessment, "I don't know... I think Ansari was very much a Form 0 living force, spreading goodness throughout the galaxy type, I hear she was a fantastic Soresu practitioner... I just don't know whether I can offer Ossu what she's looking for?"

Iara retracted her hand and rested her chin on it, then raised an eyebrow at him, "Hmmph, how about what she needs? She's been taught the 'fluffy' side of the force - I think she needs a good hard dose of reality."

Arice nodded solemnly, clearly troubled by the fact that Iara was in fact right, "I suppose there's probably no chance of her finding anyone else to teach her at the moment? Given the current state of affairs? Maybe some reality is what she needs. Thanks Iara, I'm really glad we met, you're a really good friend."

Iara smiled at him, "You know I'm right, the least you can do is offer... I think it would do you good too - you need something positive to focus on."

Ossu returned to the table with a small tray bearing three Caf's. She handed them out carefully and took a seat on an empty stool. They sipped in silence for a moment, then Arice took a deep breath, "Ossu... I would like to offer to take you on as apprentice."

Ossu's eyes lit up like fire, "You really mean it?! Oh than... erm, I mean thankyou Master Arice." He rolled his eyes at her, "Please just Arice, there's one condition though - and I need to know this - it's important that I know who you are... Why are you wearing a slave harness, did you choose to and could it be removed?"

Ossu's face dropped a little, she looked down, crestfallen, but then shrugged and looked up , sipping her coffee, "I suppose I would have had to tell you eventually, and I should tell Mas... erm, Iara... Firstly, I chose to be fitted with it and it cannot be removed. It's made of a substance with a funny name, that translates in basic as 'burrowing geno-metal' it's rare and expensive. But the moment it's attached to an organism, the metal grows tendrills that burrow and fuse into the wearers flesh, nerve networks form through the metal - such that for example, severing one of the chains that joins the Lekku across my chest - would be as painful as losing a Lekku."

Iara face screwed up in disgust, "Why would anyone choose to wear such a thing?!"

Ossu looked at her more seriously, "It was my mothers, and I didn't want to... Hmmm, this is a long story and a little complicated. My mother was a slave, slave to the crimelord Began Varr, a human on Naa Shadar. She was a dancer, but being a Lethan he also used her to breed more valuable 'Lethan's like me for example. I was bred to be sold as a slave. When Ansari confronted Began on an unrelated matter - mother tried to ask her to free her and her children using the secret language of Rylosh. Began found out, and had her fitted with this harness. When Ansari returned, Riana (my mother) instead resorted to pleading in basic to Ansari to rescue her. Ansari refused - saying she was, 'not there to free slaves'."

Arice and Iara listened fascinated.

"Began's patience had worn thin - he had her hung upside down and flayed alive with high-pressure steam, while we were forced to watch - to teach us not to try to betray him. As some of us were nearing an age where we could breed - he selected my older sister Natari to replace mother. I could already use the force a little - to sense things. I offered to replace her instead. Began agreed, and accepted he would not have saleable 'Lethans' for a few years - but that I would suitable for breeding soon. He stipulated that the harness would be transferred to me - it required 'resetting' with a high intensity blast of hyper-matter radiation. I did not want Natari to wear it, I thought the best chance for freedom for us all, was for me to replace Riana as Began's 'Dancer'. In the end it turned out Ansari returned to free us, she simply did not want to do it with a 'violent method' and instead snuck in using mind-tricks and freed us without igniting her sabre. At that point she knew I was force-sensitive and she took me on as an apprentice, my younger sisters, all eleven of them are under the care of my older sister Natari... There are two even older sisters too Senara and Oppasi - but they were already sold on for a large sum by Began, I hope one to day to find them and free them...."

Arices face fell, she'd had a hard life after all... As he watched her playing shyly with the left Lekku, jangling the chains and tugging the right one accross - he realised he'd made the right choice.
Last edited by SmokeMare on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Beorht wrote:Kali Skywalker, the Temple Headmistress, bustled through the halls until she ran into Derek Muir.

"Most of us thought there were no survivors at Onderon," she said. "We're just finding out now. I'm going; Sorra can look after things while I'm gone. Will the Council be going? What would you like us to do?"
Derek stopped his movements. He'd already spoken to Sona and she was going to find Janak and Kail to talk to them. So far that was all that he had. He smiled at the Headmistress of the Temple. "I don't know if any other members of the Council are going. I'll be there though. I haven't had the chance to talk to Adam yet. Round up whichever Jedi are willing and able to aid the fight at Mon Calamari. No one will question them if they say they can't go because of Onderon or if they're helping with Onderon. We have to be smart about management here." The human Jedi Knight said.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

“How goes the report?” Derek asked.

“As good as it can go, I suppose.” The Whiphid Jedi said, turning to look at the other man as he walked into the room. “What can I do for you, Derek?”

“First, you can accept my congratulations on joining the Council.” Derek said with a smile. When L’hnnar nodded in return, he continued. “Have you heard about Mon Calamari?” He asked.

“No, not as of yet.” The Whiphid said. “What’s going on?”

“Sivter hacked into GNN again and told the galaxy that he’s going to attack the New Republic at Mon Calamari with the Charon. We just received reports from the New Republic that there’s a coalition of governments standing ready to defend Mon Calamari. Right now, Kalja and one of her padawans, Caitlyn DeVries are there.” He said, referencing the most recent report that he’d gotten after getting in touch with the New Republic. “They need more Jedi.” He said. “I’m trying to find anyone I can. You’d be of great assistance. I don’t know though, with this report-”

“You speak to me of a threat so dire it could blanket the galaxy should the New Republic lose and then ask about this report? The report can wait, this is more pressing.” L’hnnar said.

Derek shrugged. “I don’t know that much about the attack on Taylon, but if it was sufficient enough to destroy the City of the Jedi, maybe that’s a little bit more important. Better to know something of another enemy that may be waiting in the wings to strike. Especially if it’s somehow linked to Onderon which is the rumors going around.” He said.

“Young Jedi Muir, if we lose at Mon Calamari, does it matter whether or not we know who attacked the City of the Jedi? Sivter will be the one who will have to worry about that.” L’hnnar said. “Count me in for this fight. I need to find my padawan.” He said. “She needs to know that I’m headed out.”

“She was the one who told me to find you.” Derek said with a smile. “When I saw her, she was with her fiance, and Tone said that both of them would be ready and waiting.” He didn’t mention that he’d let accidentally slip that Caitlyn was there. Since Salvatore had been there, that had decided things for the Anuran. He’d declared that he was going and all arguments to the contrary had been for naught. He’d also started drawing up schematics for an Anuran sized set of battle armor and had started telling people that he was going to kick some Charon in places they didn’t want to be kicked and he was going to start building a legacy like his father’s.

Unfortunately then some passing padawan had opted to make some kind of derogatory remark about Akain and Akain’s abilities to beat people. That probably hadn't been the smartest of things to say around Salvatore.

Derek had left as Tone and Renato had started prying the Anuran from his death grip on the padawan.

After telling L’hnnar where to meet him, he left, heading to that hangar so that he could be ready and waiting.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Kail was by himself, far from the temple and isolated, diligently practicing with Shurdake, his bō staff. He moved through the training routines he had been taught long ago by Molon, the monk who had instructed him in the most efficient way to use his weapon. The staff arced and spun thanks to Kail’s deft movements, singing as it moved through the air with grace and power.

Unlike the other Padawans here, Kail would never use a lightsaber; never even build one. Shurdake was his weapon, created by him through the Bonding of the Weapon ceremony as part of his training as a Linshi Monk. It was more personal to him than any lightsaber could be. He had not come to train with the Jedi to learn combat anyway, he had come in search of a broader perspective that he hoped the Jedi Order could give him.

Arguably he had, but it was not the perspective he had been hoping to learn. The Jedi Order was being crushed, Sivter was running roughshod over the galaxy, and the Linshi refused to do anything about it that extended beyond their borders. Even with this latest threat against Mon Calamari, Lin-Sho – the leader of the Linshi – had refused to send aid or reinforcements, using the same argument as always: they had to protect their own people first and foremost.

The thought made him angry, but more than that, he felt frustrated because he didn’t know how he could change any of it. What could one man do? He didn’t have an answer and so had settled on trying to burn off his ire and disappointment through exercise, which was about the only thing he had left that felt solid and reliable…

OOC: There you go, Mir, an opening if ever there was one. ;)
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"We can't be in two places at once," she said. "You're right. I'll leave Sorra to run things. Aksossa and Sondgren and Lon want to go to Onderon, but I'll try to talk some of them into..." The Nautolan shook her head. "I'm wasting time. Excuse me."

She dashed off to find people willing to go to both places. Within a relatively short amount of time, she'd organized most of the Temple staff. Those who were better at healing, she guided towards Onderon. Jedi transports were blasting off from the emergency landing pads within the island complex, as well as the much larger landing fields and docking bays across the river on both sides.

She ran into Arice, Iara and Ossu in the middle of the complex. Iara's face was twisted with disgust; anger rolled off the older of the two Lethans.

"I grew up away from the slave trade," Iara was saying. "I never encountered that until later - until I was wandering." She shivered. "That's what led me towards the Dark Side, early in my Forcer career. I met some slavers..."

She shrugged and turned to Kali. "We're organizing ships to Onderon and Mon Calamari," said Kali.

"Wait," said Iara - "there are people left alive on Onderon?"

"Many. Help is needed - in both places. We can't be standing around here."

Iara accepted the rebuke with good grace. "What's the balance now? How many are going to each?"

"We need healers at Onderon, first and foremost. Actually I'd prefer you both went to Mon Calamari. You have your own ship?"

"I do."

The Nautolan bustled away, desperately busy in the crowds of Jedi and Ysanna and interested others. A young, shaggy spacer, with a lightsabre balancing the blaster at his belt, stumbled by.

"Excuse me," he said. "You're taking a ship to Mon Cal?"

"My freighter, yes. You're Ember Rekali's boy, aren't you."

"Rach Kol-Rekali, Jedi Knight." He shot a glance at Ossu's headgear and grinned at her anyways. "Time to hit the Cult back, if we can. And if we can't, well, we die anyways."
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

<<Someone looks busy.>>

Kail slowed his movements, turning to see Sona picking her way towards him, moving over the big rocks that he had chosen to utilize as his practice area.

<<Sona. What is the matter?>>

<<I spoke to our master. He said that there are important things going on, and that we can't sit idly by. There are transports headed to Onderon and to Mon Calamari. Which are you going to get on?>> It wasn't a question even, whether or not there was one that he was going to get on.

<<I shall head to Onderon, to offer my services there.>> He said, reaching a hand out to help her as she found a particularly wobbly rock the spot where her lead foot was upon. To her credit, she raised an eyebrow before managing on her own. He offered because it was polite, she refused because it was her way. They both had respect, at this point for the fact that the other behaved this way. She respected his dedication to politeness and his appreciation of her companionship. He respected her self-determination, and her commitment to her culture. It was that commitment to culture that was at the forefront of his mind and the forefront of his problem. Sona could see it in his eyes. He had told her that the Linshi Monks would not send aid. She knew that it had been troubling him and she had let him go work out for a little while. This way, she gave him the opportunity to be all lone ranger before she told him what to do, and...he did it.

<<Onderon...really?>> She asked, and gave him a look, as if her tone had not been conveyed through "speech" well enough. The look he gave her back was non-committal and she had learned over time, was still learning actually, how to read his facial expressions despite his lack of a mouth. <<You're a great pilot. You're a great fighter. You're needed on Mon Calamari. I know, you explained some of Lin culture to me. You're not throwing the first blow. Sivter did that when he told everyone where he would strike. You're defending, Kail.>>

<<How can you be sure?>>

<<Because I am. Also, I convinced Janak to tell me to tell you that since I'm not that good with the Jedi fighting ways and the Force yet, that you have to kind of keep me safe. On that note, I'm headed to Mon Calamari.>> She said.

She felt the humor and the 'smile' that he had at that. <<So, I take it you're coming?>>

<<How much of a choice do I have?>>

Sona shrugged, before touching her forehead to his in the Lin approximation of a kiss. <<Think of it this way, you can go to Onderon afterwards and tell Deek what Sivter tastes like.>> She said, before turning and heading back to the Temple. She smiled to herself. If she put a little extra sway into her hips, well, that was because it was fun to mess with him. Always so uptight.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Arice and Ossu strided quickly after Iara and the boy. As they were darting Arice mused to himself how futile his purchase of the Kuat Vanguard had been. He'd bought it on Onderon - because Rissk had taken Jade-Wing, which was now parked at Ossus after the Dathomir disaster...

He'd flown it from Coruscant to Onderon, then used Jade-Wing on every following trip. Now Ossu had flown it from Onderon to Ossus for him, and he was charging off into battle aboard Iara's freighter... An expensive, brand new, high spec ship with a repulsor bike... And he'd flown it once in the six months he'd owned it... Ossu had spent more time at the helm.

He chuckled to himself at the thought, on the bright side - the ship had led him to meet Ossu, and of that he was glad. They troop were soon in the hangar, charging up the ramp into Iara's freighter.

Iara took the helm, Arice gestured towards the co-pilots seat, "Need any help?" Iara smiled at him then looked to the back of the ship, "I'm good thanks - go and start teaching your student!"

He nodded and smiled, feeling better than he'd felt in a long time. Meeting Rissk had helped, meeting Iara had definately helped and taking on Ossu was the icing on the cake. He ambled into the back and took his seat while Iara sat at the helm and broke atmosphere. Once in space Arice climbed to his feet and gestured for Ossu to stand too, "Now, let me see your sabre work." She looked puzzled at him, "But this isn't a training sabre, you could get hurt!" Arice shrugged, "That would be my responsibility." She looked angry now, "And yours aren't training sabres - I could get hurt!"

Arice sighed, "Trust me Ossu, the Master, Apprentice relationship is built on trust - now please - ignite your blade and attack me."

Ossu looked nervous at this and gingerly ignited her sabre, "Are you sure?" Arice nodded and ignited his Juta, "I'm 100% sure." She slipped forwards with a fairly meek diagonal swipe aimed in Arice general direction. He blocked it one handed, she took a few more swipes and he blocked those too, effortlessly.

He looked her in the eye, "You're swishing your sabre at me, you are not 'attacking' me." Ossu screwed her face up, "Aggression leads to the darkside!"

Arice sighed deeply, "Yes, it can - but not having the required intent can lead to your death. I want you to fully intend to cut me down, it's not anger, it's a will to make contact - now try again."

She levelled herself up and took an experimental swipe, Arice blocked it easily and looked at her for more 'intent' understanding the concept she slipped forwards and threw a fast accurate strike at his shoulder - he blocked, and gave ground, but it required more effort this time.

"That's it! How did it feel to you?" Arice asked, Ossu looked puzzled, "Hmmm, let me consider it..." Arice shook his head, "Don't think, feel! How did it feel?"

Ossu smiled, "Different, I've never felt like that before... " Arice nodded, when you are training, you need spend a lot of time sparring, ideally with training sabres - but you have to spar with intent. Every shot should be aimed at either striking your opponent, or setting them up for your second shot. Now let me try and throw a few strikes at you, and you defend."

They faced up again, and Arice started a series of strikes, Ossu fared far better on the defence, and Arice was even slightly impressed. "Excellent, Ansari has taught you well. Now we should spar for a while - then rest."

The sparring improved as time went on, Ossu have have lacked conviction at the start, but she was a fast learner and her defensive posture was at a level that might be expected of a newly knighted Jedi rather than a Padawan learner.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Once they hit hyperspace, Iara ducked back to her HoloNet pad and linked with the pad in her apartment. Both were exceedingly expensive; both had been paid for by the bureaucracy of Norik Kun. Transmission costs came out of Lyn's old Detori slush fund.

"Hey Alu."

"Hey Momma."

They said the usual things, even though she'd just left. It was a ritual of Iara's to call Alu shortly after leaving, and as frequently as possible while in the field. Hopefully it meant that Alu wouldn't always remember her mother being gone.

Afterwards she walked back to the hold and watched Arice. Watched him teaching, that is.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

After some time, Arice and Ossu were moving fluidly, Arice clearly with some restraint - but Ossu striking with conviction and able to predict and evade some of Arice's counter-attacks. Eventually he lowered his sabre, "I think we ought to rest before we get to Mon Calamari - You don't want to be all burned out by the time we even get there."

Ossu nodded and disengaged her sabre, they took a seat next to Iara, Ossu looked at Arice thoughtfully, "It's funny, Ansari never took me on any field missions, she'd go off from time to time to do something or other - but leave me at the temple attending classes..." Arice shugged, "Shadowing your Master can be dangerous - but I think you're ready... You can learn so much by actually 'doing' rather than reading about and practicing." She nodded, "Yes..."

Arice raised an eyebrow, "From your story - I wonder if Ansari felt a little protective over you? Given that her initial inaction maybe indirectly caused the death of your mother?" Ossu scowled, "That's a horrible thing to say!" Arice looked defensive, "I know, but - I think most Jedi would feel that way in that situation - I'm just saying don't be too hard on her, she's kept you alive and taught you well, you can't ask more than that of any master."

She played idly with her Lekku looking down and humble, "I know... I'm just glad to be going somewhere and actually doing something - I think I would have gone crazy drifting around the temple taking classes." Arice watched her playing with her Lekku, causing the opposite one to move in unison, "Would you like me to see if that slave harness can be removed?"

She didn't look up, "No, it can't be anyway - it's fused seamlessly to me, it's now a part of me. I've gotten used to it, and I have no desire to use the secret language of Rylosh, the position they are held in is comfortable - it maybe even makes fighting with a sabre a little easier as one doesn't have to worry about accidentally injuring yourself by lopping off the tip of a stray Lekku. I suppose it's symbolic of the fact that I am opposed to secrecy and betrayal."

Arice looked first at Iara then at Ossu, "I understand, but the sacrifice your mother made, it may have been the key to your freedom, and your sisters freedom." Ossu shrugged, "It probably was... I don't mind, it's comfortable, and it doesn't prevent me from doing anything I wish to do."

Arice looked at the boy, then Ossu then finally Iara through the awkward silence, "Well, I don't know about everyone else - but I could do with another Caf, do you have drinks on board Iara?"
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Lyn didn't drink caf," she said, "and this was his ship, but I think someone might have left some onboard."

The vessel was the Holocron, a novelty remake of an ancient Hoersch-Kessel Delaya-class courier, updated with modern technology. A replica for an eccentric private collector, initially. She had no idea where Lyn got his hands on it, but she'd captured it from him when he and Moroiniy Traverts went to Bilbringi to spark a war between the Sith Empire and the Imperial Remnant. Later, they'd flown it together. Later still, she'd used the ship as a mobile Praxeum, training Mikhail Sage.

"Feel free to make yourselves at home while you're here. The galley is just down the hall and around the corner."

As Ossu wandered off to make some caf, Iara sat down on a trunk full of training apparatus. "Mon Calamari. I wonder what Sivter has planned, and I'm not looking forward to finding out."

As Ossu found the galley, Rach was already there sipping a mug of something warm.

"How's training?"
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

OOC: Made a few minor changes to your post, Mir. After this, feel free to take Sona and Kail to Mon Cal.

IC: Kail watched Sona go, and while she had helped to give him guidance, he was still troubled. Protecting her from a force that appeared to be nigh unstoppable was a daunting thought to say the least. Kail considered his people to be among the finest pilots in the galaxy and their starfighter technology on par with the best that was out there. For a Linshi, flying wasn’t simply an act, it was religious experience that brought them closer to their god.

However, if the reports about the Charon’s seemingly endless numbers were accurate, Kail privately feared that if Sona were to get into trouble, he wouldn’t be able to reach her in time. He tried to ignore that fear as he followed Sona back to the temple, but he couldn’t quite get rid of it completely…
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Ossu adopted a puzzled look on her face, "Hmmmm, different..." Rach supped his drink, then pondered for a moment, "Different?" Ossu, still stirring her drink looked up as if deep in thought, "I feel like in the middle of a terrible nightmare, everything is so new... Ansari never really took me out of the temple, Began never let me out of the pens... Until... Until I took my place as his... Well, even then I could never really go anywhere..."

She finished stirring her drink and and supped it, "I can't believe Ansari is gone... And Arice, I mean it's great that he's taken me on... I... He seems so invincible... But then Ansari did and she's.... Rissk was telling us about a Sith Lord called Darius Malakai, she said he killed some Jedi called Brembla Kol or something, and he can stop time, force-throw entire planets, blow up stars with a thought and all sorts of wierd stuff... And here we are charging off into battle with someone called Sivter... I just can't believe the galaxy is such a terrible place..."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Rach's face went dead. He set the mug down.

"Brembla Kol was my mother."

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't worry about it; I know how she died. But you wouldn't believe the good she did while she was alive. The galaxy isn't a good place. But it's not really a bad place, either. All there are, are people and the choices they make. And who knows. Maybe we'll get to make a choice that puts a shiv through Darius Malakai's heart one of these days. Sure, he's insanely powerful. There are ways."

The shaggy young spacer brooded for a minute, then sipped the hot chocolate. "If it wasn't for things like this, a lot of crap Jedi would sit around at Temples braiding each other's hair and living soap operas and sitcoms, regardless of their duty. These are the things that shake us up, that remind us who we've promised to be. Sivter's gonna destroy everything; before him it was Damascus and the Death Star; before him it was Palpatine and his superweapon fetish. I'm starting to think there's a natural order. Things seem to work out. And even if there's not, that's what we're for. We're the galaxy's pest control, and when we get to Mon Calamari, we're going to kill us some Cultists and some Charon and maybe, just maybe, the galaxy won't get wiped out.

"This actually could be it. From what I hear, the galaxy's biggest fleets are gathering to Mon Cal with almost zero hope of stopping the Charon. Everything could end tomorrow. Heh." He laughed and shook his head. "It sounds like I'm hitting on you. What I mean is, there's no reason not to try."
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Ossu sipped her drink, hanging on every word, she liked him - he was confident and brash, but maybe a little too much so... "I'm sorry about your mother - if I'd known I wouldn't have brought it up... Hmmph! And there is something you're forgetting - we could be killed in this battle. We are arguably likely even to be killed, we don't have the years of experience or skills of Arice or Iara..."

Rach nodded, "We don't but..."

Ossu cut him off, "No, you're right, people have a choice - there used to be water butt outside the slave pens on Naa Shadar... Before I was 'promoted' so to speak - while I was simply being trained to dance and being held until a buyer could be found... I would go out there and watch Zar Flies land in the water. The Zar Fly is a funny animal, some of them can land on water and drink safely, if they get their wings wet by accident though - they drown. I'd sit there watching them, if one was in trouble - I would rescue it on my finger - and place it on the floor, so it didn't drown. Was I being altruistic? No, true altruism is hard to find, I rescued them for me, so I could feel I'd had control over something. Having no control over your own life is terrible... I suppose that's partly why I volunteered to replace mother instead of Natari - It was a little way I could exercise control. Freedom is worth fighting for..."

She sighed deeply, "I'm sorry, erm, Rach? I'm probably not being very good company am I? I'm still confused, I feel like my world has been turned upside down in a matter of hours... I used to know exactly where we were going, what we were doing - I had days, weeks, months planned out - I had routines... Now I don't know where I'll be tomorrow or what I'll be doing... It's unsettling... I'm not used to that."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"If you think Jedi don't live every day with the possibility, even the probability of death, you really need to get out more. I was taking it for granted that you took it for granted."

He shook his head.

"But I could be better company myself. Assuming we survive this, we should go somewhere, do something. Something spontaneous. Planned spontaneity; like it?"
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

L'hnnar watched as Derek excused himself. True, the report on Taylon and its potential connection to Onderon was important to the Jedi Order, but Sivter was the more pressing concern here. The Defel had the ability to wipe out planets with a single command, and thus far nobody had been able to stand in his way. Whoever was responsible for Taylon, for Onderon, had the element of surprise on his side. An element that would not last much longer, if they managed to defeat Sivter.

He was taking a gambit, but L'hnnar had also figured that he had exhausted most of the research on the matter. L'hnnar had, not long after returning from his visit with Guan, made a call those those whom witnessed firsthand the destruction of Taylon. The Jedi Masters Cazzik Wyn and Trec Thul, and the Jedi Knight Zarran Thakrre, were all present and survived the destruction of the City of the Jedi at the hands of the Sith. He also understood that Jessica Sterling was looking for the man responsible for both assaults on the planet. With information compiled from all four, his report would be more thorough, and the pieces might fall together.

He thought briefly about talking to his apprentice about going to Mon Calamari, but he was well aware of how much she would be held back in her training if he continued to try to shelter her from these large events. Perhaps it had something to do with the death of his last apprentice, and disappearance of Aaralyn? He wasn't in the mood to divulge on the matter. L'hnnar opted to allow her to act on her own without his counsel, whether it would have been for or against her actions, and made his way toward his own ship. He would be ready to depart with the rest of the Jedi.

_________

The Guardian broke out of lightspeed in before Ossus. Onboard were two Jedi - one Knight, one Master. Trec Thul was at the controls of the ship as they brought it in toward the planet. As they relayed their clearance, transmitting Jedi codes, Trec took a deep breath. Due to his training with the Baran Do, it didn't take him long to realize something was out of place. He put in a request for information, and it did not take long before it was given.

He leaned back in his seat, and looked at the Zabrak Jedi Knight who had accompanied him. "If Sivter is planning on attacking Mon Calamari," he said, "then the Jedi would benefit from our assistance. How do you fare with your piloting skills?"

"My abilities would not be best suited in combat, Master Thul," Zarran admitted. He was no accomplished pilot, and would welcome the opportunity to better demonstrate his other skills.

Trec nodded. "Very well," he said. With a brief moment of thought, he continued, "The Jedi are moving out as we speak. I will be joining the naval forces, my recommendation would be to maximize our strengths; join the ground command. The Guardian will be left here." Zarran nodded to the master. It was decided, then. Trec maneuvered the ship into an orbital position that would keep it out of the way of other ships' trajectories. While it did not feel "right" to leave the Class VI Freighter at Ossus, the Guardians of Life had been so scattered lately that he was tempted to flat out consider the group officially disbanded. He had not kept track of Guan since he had left to find his father, but he had heard last that he was on Onderon.

He only hoped that Guan wasn't a casualty to the recent attack there.

He wanted to return to Onderon to help the recovery efforts there, but the Jedi needed his skills as a pilot in the coming battle at Mon Calamari, and Zarran was more warrior than healer to opt for Onderon. He had not heard from Reina for some time, else he would have suggested to her that she head to the Jedi Temple's ruins to assist in recovery attempts.

Perhaps after the battle, provided they survived, they would return to Onderon, and assist in whatever way they could. It was a big if.
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Ossu raised an eyebrow at Rach, "I've done anything like that... It sounds fun, I'd like to see more of the galaxy - I think I've spent too long being confined ins some form or other." As she spoke she twiddled idly with her slave harness as if the statement had reminded her of her constant confinement.

At that point Arice stepped in and Ossu handed him his drink, "Ahhh, thanks Ossu - you two getting on okay?" Ossu nodded and smiled and Rach just smiled.

Arice returned to the lounge took a seat next to Iara, close enough to be friendly, but distance enough to show her respect. He felt that Iara had appeared as a beacon of hope at during one of his darkest hours. Everything had started improving since the moment they'd met, the training together, allowing him to repair her droid, the home-cooked meal, Ossu, meeting Rissk again... Now charging off into battle with Sivter together...

She'd clearly unknowingly been providing him with therapy for his shattered mind-state... He sat and silently supped his caf, for a moment, he'd been taught that Jedi shouldn't have relationships - but he was desperately resisting the urge to fall in love with Iara. She was intelligient, kind, beautiful... But so young? On reflection he couldn't imagine a young beautiful Twi'Lek with so much going for even considering for a moment, the possibility of a relationship with a grizzled old Zabrak, with his network of scars and injuries and 'too many' battles on the clock...

He pushed his feelings to the back of his mind, and fought his way out of admiring her, "It's been a bit of a day hasn't it?"
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Lethan Twi'leks, as a rule, attract a lot of interest from the opposite sex, and you don't pass puberty without learning to read that in someone's face, voice, eyes and body language. Even if they're hiding it.

Mostly, from most people, it made her uncomfortable. But though she wasn't overly enthralled by Arice, for some reason she felt comfortable with his interest. And that, she found interesting.

"But a good one. It's a long flight to Mon Cal, Arice - I'm going to get some rest." She stood up by leaning forward, placing her hand on his knee for leverage. "See you in the morning."

"There's nothing like freedom," said the young spacer. "Having your own ship, being your own final authority - I've been outside the galaxy, more than once. To see it sitting in the sky like that...anyways." He pulled up a backpack and started unpacking it on the table. Random bits of technology; strange weapons...

"I suspect I'm going to be boarding something, if I can," he said. "Tell me - a set of fresh eyes is good - if you were diving into a ship full of homicidal enemies, what would you bring?"
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Iara's tender touch on his knee, sent a shiver down Arice's spine, and he was immediately trying to think of something else - anything. He thought about asking her if there was a spare berth, but if there was - it would probably be in the same room, and he felt like he'd intruded on her time and personal space enough for one day. Instead he bade her good night, "Good night Iara, and thanks - I might try and get a bit of shut eye myself."

She tilted her head slightly as she turned to him, "Would you like a berth?" He shook his head and smiled, "No thanks, I think I'm too tired to even move - I'll just rest down on the seating if it's okay with you."

She shrugged, "If you're sure Quinn.. Goodnight..."

And she was gone. He finished his drink and tried to rest down, desperately trying to think of something, anything other than Iara. As he drifted off, he was coming to the conclusion - his thoughts and feelings weren't healthy and were likely only to get him into trouble. From that point onwards he would have to try and avoid her, try to occupy his mind with other matters and hopefully he could get his head together.

Ossu in the kitchen area was stirring about the impressive array of alien items with her hand. After a moment she raised an eyebrow, "Rach... I have no idea what any of this stuff is or what it's for... I'm afraid I couldn't probably suggest anything more exotic than a lightsabre - and you'll be taking one of those anyway right?"

He chuckled under his breath, and she looked up and smiled at him, "I guess, as a lay person I would suggest anything which helped prevent you getting killed, or helped to kill your enemies would be a good start..." She suddenly looked a little disgusted at herself, "Urgh! That's not very Jedi-Like is it?! Hmmmm, what's this thing for?"

She picked up a large device and held it up to the light, studying it from every angle.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Well, the killing part is - sadly - very Jedi-like. But we get into trouble when we label people as our enemies. Granted, they see us as enemies, or prey, or whatever..." He shrugged. "And in some cases I'm willing to make an exception. Yes: I'm an enemy of the man who killed my mother.

"This is a lanvarok. My dad's old one, from when he was a Detori. Best used if you're left-handed: it sprays a random pattern of razor discs." He fit the lanvarok on over his left forearm. "I'm ambidextrous, so this isn't too bad. A good support weapon - as much injury potential as, say Force lightning, but you don't have to focus, and it takes much less time. Get the right disc in the right place and they're done.

"But this is more interesting." He slipped off the lanvarok and pulled out a rod about eighteen inches long. "Miniature Stokhli spray stick. Shoots a stream of incredibly gummy stuff that hardens into a very tough net. An excellent anti-Forcer weapon, almost as good as...these. Sonic pistols. Mind the special ear protection: sonic weapons are the one guaranteed way to stop a Sith Lord dead in his tracks."
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Ossu looked at the various weapons Rach had on display. She'd never seen or heard of these things and was a little nervous about even touching them... As she looked at the pieces and listened to his explanation of what they were all for. He seemed so confident and casual about it all, but it was bringing to her the reality of what they were about to face. Her legs started to feel like jelly...

Ansari dead, and she was off to a huge battle with no combat experience and hardly enough training... She'd never faced an opponent before, never killed anyone... These thoughts brought back the bitter memories, memories of her mother, hung upside down and the flesh seared from her bones with high pressure steam, to a chorus of screams...

Slow tears started running down her cheeks, she looked down and turned away from Rach, "I... I'm scared... I'm not ready for this!"
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"First time I had to fight for my life," said Rach philosophically, but not unkindly, "I was eight. You do what you have to do, and the Force sees you through. Here. This is a sonic projector pistol. Just wear adaptive earplugs like these, and pull the trigger. You don't even have to aim. Right now it's set to project - anything nasty within about ten metres gets its eardrums busted, plus a migraine. Oh, and something dang close to paralysis. Switch it like so, and it shoots a blast of concussive sound - lightsabers can't stop it. Breaks bones, cracks stones. The perfect beginner weapon, guaranteed to keep you alive. This'll stop a Sith Lord."

It wasn't doing much good; he sat beside her. "Hey - it's all right."
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Ossu didn't flinch when he sat next to her. She was fighting back the tears, but still shaking softly. She held up the Sonic Pistol and looked at it with an air of disgust, "Do you ever imagine? Imagine what it feels like to have your bones shattered in the body - your form crumpling away... The agony... It's such a... Such a brutal way to die - almost like short term torture, a fast track method of torturing people to death..."

Rach sighed deeply, "No, I try not to... The thing is it works... You have to imagine it this way - you are standing there, pointing the Sonic Pistol at the Sith Lord with his finger on the Super Laser Trigger. Millions of lives on the planet below, some of them innocent, some of them not - but millions. You could stop it, but it would mean inflicting terrible pain, a horrible death on the man before you.... What do you do?"

Ossu thought for a moment, she tried to imagine being there, in that situation - with the knowledge of what the Pistol would do to him... But also the knowledge of the billions of sentient lives on the planet below, oblivious to their possible destruction... She thought long and hard... Rach cut in, "You haven't got time to think - he's reaching for the button - what do you do?"

Ossu sighed, "Pull the trigger... But I don't think I'd feel good about it." Rach nodded, "The trouble is, there are so many forces in the galaxy at the moment, who all mentally have their finger on that trigger. The immediacy might not be there, but the intent surely is... We don't have to feel good about our actions, we are Jedi - we act above the jurisdiction of our emotions."

She looked up at that and smiled softly, "I know... I just... I... Thank you Rach... You're right of course, I'll take the Pistol and the 'adaptive thingies' but I'll try not to use it, thank you..." With that she stood, finished her drink and turned to him, "I'm tired Rach, I need to rest before we get to Mon Cal, thanks for the talk, you've given me something to think about.... Goodnight."

She flashed him another smile, then turned to walk into the seating area. Arice was already sleeping peacefully on one bench, she lay down on the spare, with her eyes open, thinking about what Rach had told her and what was to come.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

OOC/ Follow Arice, Iara, Rach and Ossu to Mon Calamari!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10254&start=40#p250235
DX Army Cadet

Post by Mandalore_The_Uniter »

Bannon and Sach had taken Alliera under thier wing, treating her like thier daughter, so when Bannon got a posting at Ossus...Alliera followed the couple. Alliera was already in love with her room in the 'Family Home', it was a simple affair with a comfortable bed and a work desk, with enough room for her to store her stuff. Alliera was currently in the process of storing her hand blasters in varios hiding places in the dwelling, so she can grab one in case something bad happens and she has to fight out. Alliera was now officially Bannon's apprentice, but Sache took equal effort in teaching the young padawan. Sache was currently in the library, gathering learning materials for Alliera's lessons, while Bannon was currently getting everything finalized with administration. Overall, the rough family was adjusting to thier new home well.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

The Temple was nearly empty. Most Jedi had gone to one of two destinations: Onderon, to help the wounded after the Sith attacked the Jedi Temple there; or Mon Calamari, to help fight the Cult of Shadow and the Charon.

Someone knocked on Bannon, Sach and Alliera's door: an Elom, short, furry and dressed in Jedi robes.

"Hello," he said. "My name is Sanib. I've been asked to approach you about a special assignment."
DX Army Cadet

Alliera answered the door, and listened to the Short Jedi, "Who specificly?"
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Jedi Knights Bannon and Sach, and Padawan Alliera, who i presume to be you. May I come in?"
DX Army Cadet

"By all means." Alliera says, politely making room for the small Jedi to pass into the dwelling "Da-I mean my Master is finalizing some stuff with the Administration people." Alliera gestures to a couch, which was discreetly hiding one of her pistols, "Pleas sit, Knight Sache was procuring some learning materials from the library, and should be home soon." Alliera sits down in a chair near the couch, "While we're waiting for the adults of the home, what kind of special assignment are we talking about?" Alliera asks, looking at the Jedi "why now?"
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"I'd rather discuss it when they're all present - just because it's a serious thing. If my Padawan was approached about it without my knowledge, I would be very, very angry."

Sanib settled down to wait.
DX Army Cadet

After a few minutes, Sache and Bannon walked through the door, the female jedi was loaded down with a number of datapads. Sache put the Datapads down on the Dinner table, and sat down with her husband in the same room with the couch the Jedi was sitting in. "Appearently he has special assignment for one or all of us." Alliera said, "I tried prying farther but he wanted to wait till you two got home." Bannon nodded, it was perfectly understandable, now he wanted to know. "What is this special assignment?" He asks, looking at the diminuitive jedi
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"At various points in the history of the Jedi Order, there has been a need for a group called the Jedi Shadows. We hunt down and destroy Dark Side artifacts, or investigate and purge Dark Side nexuses. We track Jedi who fall to the Dark Side. Sometimes we hunt Sith. We work very, very privately - we don't even tell other Jedi what we're doing. It's a dangerous job, but we teach stealth techniques and make sure you're never alone in the field.

"Bannon, we know you learned flow-walking on the Sojourn. That's a skill we'd find useful. But all three of you are people we want to recruit."
DX Army Cadet

"I'm guessing this is a result, at least in part, of what happened on Onderon." Sache said, looking very interested "I'm in."

"I'm definetivly in, but I have a question." Alliera said, smirking "Does being a Shadow mean I get access to the High End stuff in the armory?"

Bannon looked at Alliera questioningly, "Hey, you never know what you may need in this kinda organization." Alliera replies, Bannon nods in acceptance

"I'm in as well." Bannon said, keeping a neutral tone
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Yes, you'll get that access," the Elom said. "For training and for use. Good question. For the record, the plans for this were already in motion before the Onderon attack, but our plans have...accelerated.

"We'll have special training this evening, just those of us who are holding down the fort here while most of the Jedi are at Onderon or Mon Cal or on assignment. Come to Room 302 an hour after sunset."

He nodded and left.

An hour after sunset, a small group of Jedi gathered in a quiet training room. Sanib was in charge.

"Some of you are already Shadows, some aren't. Many of our Shadows, including Ember Rekali, are away on missions or helping at Onderon or Mon Calamari. Those of us who happen to be here between missions...well, I feel guilty for not doing something. And I know a lot of you feel the same way. So let's learn something useful.

"I'm assuming you all know how to do a Jedi mind trick. The next step is an inconspicuous aura. When projecting this, you'll be hard to notice and easy to forget..."

He described how to do it, and let them practice it, while bringing out all kind of equipment for other training.
DX Army Cadet

Sache already knew Force Power, so she was Helping Alliera and her Husband in thier training, helping them progress rather quickly. After Bannon and Alliera learned the technique, the family started practicing together, the two 'parents' making an effort to especially help Alliera so she can compete with them and the other knights.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

As the sun set of the Temple of the Current Keira Sage was perched in a window overlooking the temple grounds. She stared out at the sinking sun and let out a long exasperated sigh. "How boring," she said and she laid down in the window, her arm dangling from the side of the building.

"If you're bored why not go Mon Cal or Onderon," Adam Sage said as he entered her room.

"Tch, what for," Keira answered, grounding her teeth in annoyance, "Our last report said that everyone and their grandmother was showing up there."

"Having another Jedi around couldn't hurt."

Keira rolled onto her side and turned her back towards him with a sigh. "Right, go to Mon Cal and die or go to Onderon and play in the mud. What fun, can't wait."

Adam crossed his arms at that. "That's not the kind of attitude a Jedi should have, Keira. We've talked about this before."

"And I still say it's stupid. Mon Cal is a lost cause and everyone on Onderon is dead. Might as well just accept it and move on."

The Jedi Master narrowed his eyes, "Well, that's a rather defeatist attitude."

"It's called realism, Adam, look it up," Keira said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "The Charon are endless, you can't fight an enemy that's endless and it's stupid to even try. Everyone that went to Mon Cal? They're all gone, they're not coming back."

"That may be," Adam said, stepping over towards her and laying a hand on her shoulder. Keira involuntarily tensed under his touch, "but they went anyway because they believe in something that's more important than themselves."

Something that's going to get them all killed, Keira thought but she refrained from voicing her opinion aloud.

"The offer still stands, you know," Adam continued, "I want you to consider it. The Shadows could really use your skills and no one's a better survivor than you. They could benefit from your experience."

Keira still said nothing and continued to lay there in silence. Adam waited patiently for a response then shrugged."Well," he said with a gentle pat to Keira's shoulder, "give it some time. Maybe you'll come to find something you too will consider worthy of giving your life for."

He walked away from her then and the last sound Keira heard was the sound of the door to her room closing behind him. Almost immediately she balled her hand into a fist and pounded it into the windowsill in front of her. Stupid Adam...
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Sanib noted Bannon and Sache's team training with approval, though he didn't interrupt their work with Alliera by commenting. Once he was fairly sure that everyone had the general idea, he clapped to get everyone's attention.

"Wonderful. I can hardly look at some of you. My eyes slide right past you.

"On to the next skill: making holocams go all staticky. If you're strong enough in the Force, you can even make sensors static up. Some people call this Force Flash. It's a rare technique, but important. Obviously it would be best to go totally unnoticed - any security guard is going to see the camera go staticky - but it's important anyways." He explained how to do it with a little table on wheels, which carried a camera linked to a monitor. When he pointed at the camera, the screen went fuzzy or blank.

"Let's practice this - and when we're done, if anyone has a useful skill they'd like to demonstrate, now is the time."